Speaker 1: Hey is the Pickup Friday with Britt, Laura and Mitch. Welcome to the show. All thanks to Chemist Warehouse Today great savings. Every day.
Speaker 2: I have a life update, guys. It's not often I come with my life updates. I'm excited about it, I'm upset about it, I'm stressed about it. I'm all the feels in one.
Speaker 3: That was a real rollercoaster feelings it was.
Speaker 2: That is my life right now. No, it's my fertility update. If you guys have been following along for a little while, you know that I've been on a bit of a fertility roller coaster over the last couple of years. And that probably sounds far more dramatic than it is.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's just that I've done some egg freezing in the past, and I'm going to be doing egg freezing again. I'm going to look into embryo freezing because my fertility is not great and I'm thirty six years old.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us like for the like, I'm not really across the stats. So what are your numbers fertility wise? Then what is the normal numbers?
Speaker 2: Well, they sort of do it by a bunch of things. My specialist tells me, I have about a fifteen percent chance of falling pregnant in the wild. And that's not in the bush. I just say the wild like out naturally, So fifteen percent chance naturally.
Speaker 3: When she's not, it's still a lot.
Speaker 2: Fifty percent is still a lot, but it's also at the same time, it's not a lot. It's like a.
Speaker 3: I think it. It can sound really shocking, and I guess for context for people who are in their cars who might not know this. Women who are kind of in the thirty five age range, your normal percentage chance of getting pregnant is around twenty five to thirty percent with each ovulation, So fifteen percent sounds shockingly low when you hear fifteen percent, but when you put it into perspective of everyone's normal around that sort of time frame, it's tough. Yeah, it's otherwise you get pregnant one hundred percent of the times that you ovulate. You No, twenty five percent is like, you know, one and four kind of thing. When you were given that percentage, I mean, how does that make you feel? Do you feel worried? Do you feel like you need to do more, like as in more freezing, Like where are you at with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So well, I'm going again. I'm freezing again in three weeks time, so I will be a hormone or mess for a couple of weeks on here, because you do a couple of weeks of hormone injections, because you've got to prep your body for it. And it's anyone that's at home listening to this that's done it, and you'll know it's not the most amazing thing. You feel horrible. I got hypovarian syndrome last time, which is I had too many basically hormones pumped into me because they really really wanted to harvest as many as they could get, so they went hard and I couldn't even walk the last two days. Three days, I could not take a step. The pain and in your belly. It was really weird. But I don't want that to scare anyone too, because the rest of it was amazing. I'm going to get in three weeks. And it worries me a little bit when you think, Okay, well, when's it going to happen for me? And when do I start to say I'm going to put that before my career, you know, for a hot second, because I've always been very work work, work, work, work, work work. When you say, okay, it's fifteen percent chance, naturally, that's fine. I'll if I go down the IVF for it, and then you get the IVF statistics, and that's well. Even if we have your baby, if we have an embryo made and we put it in the little home that it needs to be, like we're dropping it off right into where it needs to be to grow, it's still only a thirty percent chance of working. So that's even if it's you know, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make a drink. That old saying.
Speaker 1: But we know how you feel, Britt, Like we talk to you not on air and as friends, but your boyfriend Ben's overseas. You're doing a lot of this alone, Like it's hard on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's so great and we talk. You know, we're at the stage where we talk about kids in our life together and we want to be together forever. I have no doubt in that. But it's hard when you're not there to help someone through something or go through something. And I would love him to be here with me, and he would love to be here with me.
Speaker 1: And you can't.
Speaker 2: And then on that sense, when the time comes and we do want to try for that fifteen percent in the wild. He doesn't live here anyway, So it's it's all these thoughts. And unfortunately, because I am thirty six now, and any woman I know listening right now will know this feeling.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's so consuming in your brain. It's all you think about all day, all night. If I wait much longer, I going to miss the chance. But what if I'm not quite ready yet? And then what if I try right now knowing that I'm not ready and it does work, and then I have it? What if I wait too long and it's you know, it's it's there's so many variables that you think about, and it's becomes all of a sudden, the most stressful situation. And you guys know, like five minutes ago, before this break in the song, I was crying. I was sitting here crying about it, and I don't even know why I was crying, And I feel like I will cry now.
Speaker 3: It's just said.
Speaker 2: It's such an It's not the end of the world, but it's such an overwhelming feeling sometimes that you feel like you can't breathe because you're like, I don't know what the answer is, and even if I did know the answer, I don't know how to get to the answer.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's like the I mean, the fertility conversation itself is something that's so hard. But then I think you hit the nail on the head with thinking and figuring out, well, when is it a good time to take the foot off the pedal in terms of career, because then you worry, and especially I mean in media, you worry, well, if I take my foot off the pedal, someone will come and replace me. And I think that there's lots of people who have very small maternity leaves or don't take time out because they're worried that if they get off the rat race, they're going to fall behind, you know, and.
Speaker 2: It's hard to get back on that.
Speaker 3: It is so, it really is, because you know, you feel like things are going to continue to move without you. I know that there'll be so many people who are in a similar phase of life as you are and who feel very much the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, I feel so lucky. I'm like, I'm not out there like a lot of women I know and a lot of friends that have tried IVF over and over and over again, and it's failing. You know. I feel lucky that I haven't gone down that track yet. I'm just at the I'm just at the beginning of this journey and I feel overwhelmed. So I can't imagine what other women that have been struggling for so long feel like. So it's just one of those you know, we're thinking of everyone that goes through it, and it's something that we all do experience and it's something that we just have to take day by day.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing, brutt that's not easy to do.
Speaker 2: Well, No, thank you in advance for putting up with me in three weeks time when I.
Speaker 1: Am yeah, will be okay at that time and you're.
Speaker 3: Going to be at my becketing call always support you and we and we yeah, we only what was best for you.
Speaker 1: Totally totally back after this on the pick up