Speaker 1: Hey guys, and I'll welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut. I'm Brittany, I'm Laura, and currently I'm sitting on BRIT's floor on a rug and I've just found a screw. There you go, britt, Well, actually I don't know where that came from, but that looks dangerous. It was it's just here next to us on the floor. But you know what's concerning is that has obviously come out of something. So is there something in my house that is about to topple over because now it has no screw? Probably, And I just think that this is another reel. I we can say a screw in the coffin. We just need to get a studio. We need to stop recording on the ground. Hey, actually this is a great natural segue, Laura. I did put out a story not like longing, on my Instagram that was, hey, guys, is anyone a real estate agent in East slide into my damnse I have a question Brittany using her influence for good. I can't get a bloody rental. I thought I'll put a call out. I am really really wanting to get a dog. Everyone knows it. It's I'm obsessed with it. But I can't have a dog in my apartment. My landlord continues to say no, even though like, I'm the cleanest person. Irrelevant. Why does your landlord hate you so much? She hates me? I don't know. I hope she actually listened to lafe On. I think she actually likes me. She's really nice, but she's just dead adamant that I'm not allowed a dog and I cannot find a rental that allows a dog because I need two big bedrooms. I need to make one for a studio for Life on Cut, and I need it to be dog friendly, and apparently that means you pay twenty five thousand dollars a week anywhere in the East, and there's like one option. So if anyone is I've had a few people like I have had a few people slide using the podcast to do a call out for accommodation and housing for yourself. That's exactly what I'm read. If anyone's a real estate agent, I hope I can't helping me. Actually, at the moment that I just met down at the local pasta shop, she ran into me. She's like, Hey, I'm a real age and I'll help you but if anyone knows of anything, maybe it's a private rent tool that will allow a dog. I can vouch for myself, Laura can vouch for me. I'm a great tenant. I am sure. I'm shut after two years of us creating this podcast community, this is what you're using them for. I need housing, I need actually something funny. Happy. This morning, early this morning in Sydney, it's raining. If you're not from Sydney, it has been raining here for days. It's going to be continue to rain for the next week. Anyway, I wake up really early and I was like, I've got to get out. I'm going to go for a walk. So I rolled out of bed. I haven't brushed my hair in a couple of days. Don't want to, you know, it's not nothing to brag about, but I haven't brushed in a couple of days. I rolled out of bed and I went for a walk in the rain at about six thirty seven am. And I saw this girl in my peripheral sort of like running beside me, like she did a double take, and she ended up coming up to me after following me for like twenty meters, and she's like, excuse me, and I was like yeah, and she said I could be way off track and I'm not actually sure, but do you have a podcast? And I said and I was like, yeah, I do. That's me Chrus. She said I love your podcast. But I was like, okay, but you didn't know it was me. You can't love jimud. She's like, I love your podcast. She's like, I just didn't really recognize you. And I was like, nope, that's because like catfishy all, this is what I look like when I roll out of bed in the morning and I'm in the rain. And she was like, oh no, it's not that, and I was like, it is. Let's not lie. This is what it is. Anyway, thank you to that person that pointed out that I don't look like my Instagram at six day in the morning in the rain, and thank you for saying you love the podcast. But that was my morning, Laura. What have you been up to? We just got back from Byron yesterday. I saw that in the Daily Rain there was a lot going on. Do you know what there was? Actually there was COVID cases at the hotel that we stayed at. So we got home and then we found out when we landed that there had been COVID cases at Elements. The hotel was great, we had a great time, but there was two cases and so we had to get off the plane and go straight to getting a COVID test, which, you know what, guys rest assured got the results, but I was like, you're in my house right now, have you got your result? No, the results this morning. Of course we are negative. It seems like everything has gone back to normal. But then there was this weird little reminder that COVID is still out there. So that was a kind of anticlimactic way to finish the holiday. Well, speaking about Byron, you have some exciting news to share or that has been shared for you. We weren't going to share this. I wasn't going to mention this, but Daily Mail wrote an article about it, so you know what, It's always nice when your news gets taken. It's like when you've got something really exciting to tell and your friend or someone just takes it from you and they're like, oh, we already know you tell them. You're like yeah, session and Stuch told us yes. Cool. You're like I'm having a baby and your Mum's like, oh, I already know. Your sister told me, you're like, great, yeah, co that's awesome. So we bought a house just maybe about half an hour outside of Byron. I thought you were going to say half an hour ago. Half an hour outside of Byron. We bought a house during COVID, maybe about three or four months ago. We hadn't been able to see it. We bought it over zoom Inspections. Matt and I have been looking for the better part of this entire year, and we found the place that we fell in love with, and we weren't going to share the news we were going to keep because we're not moving there straight away, and because we hadn't seen the house and we're not moving there until like maybe the end of next year. Brittany and I have some big podcast planned. Looking at Laura when she's like, hey, I bought a house, I was like, congrats, talk me through it. When are you moving? So the whole purpose of us going on this trip to Buyron was we went there to go and see the house. So it wasn't really a holiday. It was more like, hey, congratulations, you have a very big mortgage and you'll be in debt for forever, yes, sucker. And we went out to the property and we got to see it, and then we got back to the hotel that we were staying at and we got this text message from somebody who works in media who was like, Hey, Laura and Matt, I'd just love to get a statement from you guys about the house that you've just bought. We just saw some beautiful photos of you standing in front of the Fasoult sign. You're like, excuse me. Obviously it's big news and we're super excited about it, but it was your ner news and you don't have to share anything. Yeah, And I guess like we're also very acutely aware that it's a fucking time in the world, you know, like it's a weird time to be buying houses, it's a weird time to be changing things. Like we weren't able to see it. It was a huge risk for us, and there's been a lot of anxiety around buying our first home, and so we just wanted to keep it private, and we also wanted to make sure that we had the privacy for our kids, like that was the plan and the long term when we're living there, we kind of didn't want people to know where we lived, which is absolutely fair and then anyway, we get sent these photos from the Daily Mail, love them, as you guys know. And there was a pap hiding in a car, a paparazzi. Yes, I'm pretty sure everybody knows what a path is. There was a paparazzi hiding in a car across the street taking photos of us in front of the new house. And we had no idea that they were there. We honestly felt like we had no idea the whole time. We were probably there for about an hour and a half and somebody was hiding in a car taking photos of us and our kids, and I just it was probably the first time since, like you know, the year after Batch ended, that I felt so violated and I felt so like intruded upon our privacy that there was just some dude lurking in a car taking photos of us and our children. Well, the thing is, it's one thing for a paparatti to take photos of you without knowing whether you're on a walk or you're whatever. That's one thing, but it's another thing to have your kids involved and to share basically a location of where you're gonna live, where your kid's gonna live. There has to. I just can't believe there are laws against this. I actually am gobsmacked that they care they allowed to put that information out. Yeah, I told Britt because like Britt sent me the news article. She was like, well, good, good job keeping that downloading, guys. And I spent all of that day in tears because I just it wasn't the way that we wanted the news to get out. And also, like one who cares that we bought a house?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: I mean like we care? We care? I care, I'm excited, I don't care, but Jacon, I'm so ba. Anyway, guys, that is it. That was the exciting news that we had from going up to Byron for this holiday, and I'm one step closer to having my commune full of children. Well, congratulations, and I hope you keep a little dirt patch out the back for me to come and pitch my tent and join the commune down the track. Okay, but you have to wear clothes. One hundred wearing clothes naked time. It's just be hearing me. It's got so weird real quick. Anyway, enough about what we've just been up to this last week. Now it's time for us to tell you what this episode is about. And honestly, guys, I think that this is my favorite episode. This is my favorite interview that we have ever done. We do say that a lot were getting best no I agree, but ever, I think as we're going we're getting more people that were like just obsessed with and more people that really hit home. Because I have had so many interviews I think you have too where we're like, this is our favorite ever episode. But guys, this one is truly is one of the most I guess, touching and powerful episodes. And Kath, who Laura's going to tell you about in a minute. Kath is just the most inspiring woman I have met in as long as I can remember. Honestly, when we were so her name is Kath Kosher. When we were interviewing Kath, we Brittain I I both were in tears. We were both laughing. She is the founder of something called the Kindness Factory. Now we're going to get into what that is exactly a little bit further along, but a bit of information about who Kathy is. She was an elite athlete, and she broke her back two separate times and has had to teach herself how to walk three times. Her story is harrowing, but it is also equally as beautiful, and she talks about how the power of stranger's kindness is what has really gotten her through. She also talks about the loss of her partner and just what she has had to go through in order to recover from this. But truly, the main take home from this and the part of this story that is so incredibly powerful, is the conversation around small acts of kindness and Kindness Day is coming up. It is on the thirteenth of November, which is this Saturday, which is World Kindness Day, World Kindness Day, and so we just wanted to, in celebration of well Kindness Day, bring you this episode and honestly, like we said, if there's ever one that you listen to, please make it this because it is just so special. She truly is incredible, and she speaks about the fact that through all this adversity, through years of tragic, horrific accidents and situations, relearning to walk, surviving grief, the thing that kept her going and what literally helped her survive was tiny acts of kindness and that's where this stems from. And she does go into that, and she gets into some specifics and I'm sure you're gonna cry like we cried. You almost can't help it. There is absolutely no human that can listen to Cath's speak and not be affected. Yeah, and I think the big take home around this is not just about kindness, but this idea of gratitude and being, you know, like for somebody who's been through so much in her life, Cath still has so much gratitude for the life that she's lived. There are some very big, big topics that we touch on in this episode. We do touch on suicide. So if that's something that is affecting you, or if this is something that you know is too troubling for you to listen to, please maybe come back to this episode at another time. But overall, this is a truly uplifting conversations So I just hope for so many of you that you get something really, really wonderful out of it. Before we get into the episode with Kat, we do have a couple of things we want to talk about now Christmas is coming. This is one hundred thousand percent not an advertisement, but Goop. You know how much we love Goop. Goop is Gwyneth Paltrow's I guess it's her online company. It's her website where she advertises the weird and the wonderful of the world. She gives you gift ideas, she gives you her favorite items, and I'm not kidding. It brings me the most hilarity and entertainment of any other website in the world. And it's not supposed to it's not. It's the thing. This is not a satirical website, but it turns out maybe it is in disguise. Well, she's released a Christmas list. She does it every year, twenty twenty one Christmas List. There's gift ideas and there are some real bangers on there. So Laura, I wanted to know what would you purchase from this list? Like you've had a look at the list? Is there anything on this list that you would actually purchase? This is like the Goop Christmas List. We talk about it every year. It's the gift that keeps on giving, or it's the gift that truly gives nothing, because I don't think anybody can afford anything that's on there. Well, no, usually people can afford like a candle, a vagina candle or something like that. But even that, the vagina candle's quite expensive. Yeah, and you might remember last year there was a candle which was like the vagina scented candle, which truly wasn't it smelled like flowers.
Speaker 2: I mean, my.
Speaker 1: Vagina doesn't smell apparently, Gwyneth Paltrows vagina smells like flowers. This year there is a candle which is an orgasm candle smells like an orgasm, which is one hundred dollars. Well, what does your orgasm smell like one hundred dollars? In a while, you're like, I forget would it smell like one hundred dollars because it costs The orgasm cannle costs one hundred dollars, Like, I'm not paying people to make. I am tempted to purchase the orgasm candle purely for research for market research. I want to know what orgasm smells like because I think, I mean, like, sex has a smell, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It's like sweating is in a bedroom that has no fresh air? Like what is what does sex and an orgasm smell like? I know what your orgasm smell like? Smells like coconut oil because that's what you use. Smells like tennis. My Look, I want to just quickly go through a few things on the list that I think are absolutely ridiculous. Now, I don't like Gwenneth Poultry very much, and I don't know if it's purely because of her ridiculous recommendations that every year I like a little bit less. But she has advertised a jungle gym for your children. Look, that's a bit of a controversial and a big sweeping statement for someone you don't like. She's a bit it's unrelatable, might be the world. Well, I mean like, no, not that I don't hate her, but she's not in any aspect. I don't love her as an actress. I don't love her recommendations that like, I just she's not my cup of tea. She's recommended a jungle gym for your kiddos if you need to go and purchase something for them this Christmas. The only catch is it's gold plated and it costs you fifty two thousand dollars. Wouldn't it be nice to have that much money? Though? Who who is buying that? Who is buying that fifty thousand dollars jungle?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: I'm looking at this jungle gym. It has two monkey bar rings. That's it, just the two one ladder, one swing, and one slide that looks about two point two feet. That's it. I'm sorry, but I definitely want to know besides the Kardashians, who is buying this jungle gym. So I like that. The thing that upsets you the most is how limiting it is. You like, there's only two rings and one slide. Well, I would think for fifty thousand dollars four in minimum. The other one that I had a really big problem with. I don't want to say a problem. I don't have a problem with it, but I'm never going to buy it, and I think it's ridiculous. Is a snow sled like a toboggan? Like it's it's a circular sled, it's toboggan in style. It's black. If it's one person and it has the Chanelle symbol on it, it's a Chanel toboggan. Now what would you pay for a Chanel round, circular, one person toboggan? Is it a child toboggan or an adult toboggan? I can't be sure. I think it's interchangeable. I can't afford anything from Chanell because I have a borgage. Now I can't afford anything ever. Again, I'm gonna say two thousand dollars fourteen thousand dollars, fourteen thousand. Now I'm looking at this. I have used one of these many a time, but I just use It's a bodyboard that I got from Big w It was twenty five dollars. Bodyboard does just the trick the same thing as this fourteen thousand dollars Chanel Toboggan does. You're taking a bodyboard to the snow. It's like it's a snow to box. So I used to go down there. We used to have these really big grass hills in Port McQuay. Anyone from Port McQuary will know what we're talking about, and we used to get used to run up really fast when I had been raining slightly and on your bodyboard and you would like scoot down the grass hill. Amazing. I'm from Woollongong and we just used to use cardboard boxes. The couple boxes get wet. The very last one I want to check in is extremely affordable. It's eighteen dollars, except it's not affordable when you hear about what it actually is. So you got to remember this is a wellness site. It's all around taking better care of your health, you know, spending lots of money to make your skin beautiful, make your vagina smell good, and make it, yeah, make your house smell like an orgasm. This is eighteen dollars eighty for Leopard printed rolling papers so that you can smoke your Ciggy's in style on the wellness side. The thing that bothers me, I know I said before that something bothers me about Gwyneth Paltrow. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that I asked Jordan when we met. We just had that one conversation where you're like, who's your hall pass? His fucking hall pass is Gwyneth Paltrow. Now it makes sense, so Britty, you're just jealous. No, I've never liked her, and I've never liked her, and I'm and now I probably like her, but I don't get it. I'm like Gwyneth Paltrow and he was like, yeah, I mean his other one is Sharon Stone. I'm like, okay, you've got a thing for older women obviously, which is probably why this relationship works Sharon Stone and Gwyneth Paltrow. They are his hall passes, so I don't get it. I don't know what he's seeing. But he can go and buy vagina candle from Gwyneth Pultrow if he wants. Have you ever though, received or given a present for Christmas? I guess not just Christmas, maybe birthdays whatever, something that could have been on this list, or something that you've opened and just been like, what the actual fuck? So I was thinking about this. There's nothing that really jumped out. But I did get given and this was very recently, which is why came to mind. I did get given a box of extremely expensive champagne as a present from a friend, and I opened it up weeks after she had given it to me, and there was a empty packet you know, the oral bee tooth whitening strips. It was. There was an empty oral bee teeth whitening strips inside like she'd already used. I'm pretty sure it was like an old bottle of champagne that she had been given that was sitting in the cupboard like it was in the box, and it had fallen down the side slap of the box. And when I opened, it was just half an empty oral be I mean, maybe she just thought you wanted a drink and you needed to whiten your teeth.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 1: No, there were no teeth whitening strips in there. It was just the packet. It was just the rubbish of the teeth whitening strips inside wedge down next to the expensive bottle of sit. We don't know that. I'm not opposed to a regift. I am not. I found it in my path. If you guys listened to my story last Christmas, I had a Kris Kringle, like a twenty dollars present that's supposed to be anonymous. I had to give it. I had to someone in my family. Was my family Christmas present. Someone in my family messaged me and said, I forgot Actually I'm just going to call her out. It was my sister, Sherry Shery. She forgot to get her Chris Kringle a present. Right, She's like, I forgot to get my person's present. I left it at home. Can you bring me something? So I was like, just about to leave to this Christmas party. So I'm looking around my house and I saw some lip bosses that I had been gifted. I was like, well, that's going to have to do because I'm not going to the store right now. I've got to be at this Christmas party in twenty minutes. I grabbed these lip glosses, put them in a bag that someone else had already given me, gave them to my sister to give to the for the Chris Kringle. Long story short, I didn't look properly and when the person opened the present, they were like, Brittany, is this from you? And I was like, no, what do you mean because it's anonymous. I gave her a lip gloss that had my name embroidered in it. I said, like for Brittany. Basically, she was like, I know this was you. It's got your name, and I nearly fucking died. I was like, I've never been more embarrassed. About twenty five people are looking at me being like you little stinge. I was like. I looked at Sheridan and I was like, you better dig me out of this hole right now. But she said nothing, So I've just added her on the podcast. Anyway. I want to know who, Like, for everyone listening to this, I want to know the shittiest present you've ever been given. We're gonna do a little segment on an upcoming episode coming into Christmas, getting into that festive spirit. I want to know, what is the worst thing you have ever been given as a present?
Speaker 3: No more.
Speaker 1: One thing he just t my ex boyfriend from when I was like twenty one years old. I'll never forget. He's like, this is the worst Christmas present I've ever gotten. I gave him a box of it was like a hot stone massage kid, but I gave it to him so he could massage me with the hotstones. He's like, this is officially the worst present I've ever had.
Speaker 2: I was like, shut up and rub me.
Speaker 1: Let's get into some accidentally unfiltered. I have an absolute cracker for you guys today. It's disgusting, it's funny. It's all the things a good accidentally unfiltered should be. You know how every couple has weird things that they do with each other, and if anyone else saw or found out, they'd probably think, well, that's fucked up. Well something I'm doing. To my point, we all, okay, I am not judging this because I think we all have that one thing that's a bit fucking weird. But you know, we just don't tell anyone about it. Anyway, these people are cooked and they've got a weird thing, all right. Well, something I do to my boyfriend is that anytime if we're just chilling, or maybe if we're watching TV or we're cooking, and I get a rush of wetness, you know, like as in I feel a little bit horny and I'm a bit wet down there, I'll put my finger down there and then I'll just rub it on him, just to show him what's happening. Sometimes it impresses him, sometimes it excites him. Sometimes he's like, oh, not now, which is totally valid. Anyway, this morning, we were laying in bed, chatting and cuddling when all of a sudden, I felt a trickle of wetness. So I put my finger down there and smeared it on his arm. Unfortunately, when I looked up at his arm, I realized that it wasn't me being wet, and it was blood. My eyes shot open and I couldn't stop gasping and laughing in the utter horror. I was speechless. I rubbed my period blood my boyfriend. He's so rank. Did the boyfriend knows her sleep?
Speaker 3: He knew.
Speaker 1: I was just watching and she's like, I can never come back from there. It's so ranked and I think you need to stop wiping your period and you come on your boyfriend he's in bed. Okay, I have a question. Is it called come if it's your like female, like, if you've got a bit of discharge, is it called come? Yeah, it's still come? Really Yes, I didn't know this. Yeah, well, I mean I think so. I think that's what people would refer to it as. Really yeah, okay, I discharge doesn't have the same sexy room to it. I'm discharging. Oh I'm discharging, you know, like I feel like, oh yeah, I guess the girl I'm coming. Yeah, okay, I'm glad that we unpacked that. I'm glad that I had to give you an example. Well, I'm like, I'm coming is like I'm orgasming. I don't mean as in like I'm getting wet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think people would still use the word come. I could be there'd be people that wouldn't, but I would. I still associate, And it's probably a more technical term, of course there is. It is discharged.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: But I'm never gonna say, oh feel my discharge Like that term is never coming out of my mouth. Also would never say like my wetness either film how Moistno, I hate that word. All right, give me if you're an accidently unfiltered or if you got a confessional I haven't accidentally unfiltered that it's pretty innocent, but it's very fucking money. I feel like after that one, we probably need to be way better than you're, like, way more inpercent than yours. It's way better. It's way more innocent, Hey, chicks. This ties into the great standing while wiping debate of twenty twenty one. I was at work in the cubicle closest to the window. Now, the window is outside the cubicle door, but it's ceiling height. It's very very big, and we work on a very high floor, so there's actually no chance of anyone being able to see in. So I was mid stand up wipe, because well, I'm a standard. When I see something in my periphery, I turn my head and I see the fucking window cleaner hanging from the top of the building. He's come straight past the bathroom window and he's made direct eye contact with me over the cubicle door. As I am armed deep midwipe standing. I'm like a deery headlights as they slowly wash the windows around me. It hasn't put me off stand up wiping, but I definitely don't go into the side cubicle anymore. How humiliating. Imagine the window cleaner because he can't we probably can't get away fast enough, so he's swung down eye contact while she's wiping herself, mid wee, mid stand on his around ankles, like I just can't imagine that feeling of like what do we do right now? Do I look away? Do you look away? And he just kept cleaning the window. He was just like wax on wax off. I think I think that there's an added element of humiliation when you're a stand up wiper, Like if you're sitting wiping, I think that that's less humiliating than standing up and making eye contact at the same time. One hundred percent. I think you need to learn to sit down. I feel like this has been a really educational start of this episode. Do you know what before we get into the chat we cath, we just have a quick call out that we want to This is usk asking you for your help, for your love for your dedication to the podcast. We do do this once a year. You guys might remember that last year the Podcast Awards came out and we asked you to go and vote for the Listener's Choice. Well it has come around really quick this year and the Listener's Choice Awards are back there open and currently they're taking votes for your favorite podcast. And if you love listening to Life on Cut and you're part of the Life on Cut family, if you are a lifer, honestly, we would be so forever grateful if you would jump onto the Podcast Awards website it's Australian Podcast Awards and go and vote in the Listener's Choice and put in Life on Cut because that's us, and give us your vote. It would just mean so much to us. So all the other categories are judged by a panel of judges, but the Listener's Choice is exactly that. The only way that you can win it is by having you, guys, the listeners vote, So it only takes you two seconds and we would bloody love you if you could take the time to jump on and vote, ask your friend to vote. If you've got a UNI email, don't be scared to go use that as well. She can use MOLTI please create burner accounts votes. If you've got burners, use them. We'll put all the details in the show notes and we'll probably ask you again next week. Anyway, guys, let's get into the chat with Kath. We hope that you love this as much as we did. She's truly truly an inspiration and for anybody who wants to be a part of well Kindness Day. We will put all the information about that in the show notes as well. So, Kath, welcome to Life on Card. We're so excited to have you today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm stoped to be here. Thanks for having me and thanks for.
Speaker 1: Coming all the way across Sydney to our little home studio. Sorry, it's not anything flash for you.
Speaker 2: I think it's perfect. I love it.
Speaker 1: Before we get into telling your story, we want to start the way we start every interview, and that is with your accidentally unfiltered, your.
Speaker 2: Most embarrassing story. It's a great way to break the ice. Well, I feel like I'm just on a brain skin. There's so many to pick from. This could take up the entire podcast. Now, a good one that my friends love actually sounds really we kind of wanky, but I'm motivational speaker, so to my day job and we'll get into waget a really unique story. But I was in the US. I got invited to a pretty exclusive event in the US, and I didn't really know what it was about the way that the woman had explained it to me was that it brought together the world's most powerful and influential people and brands, and to me, it sounded like a cult. And I was a little bit apprehensive, Actually I should do this event, but they said that'd fly me and my assistant. I didn't have one at the time, so my best friend got a junket to the US with me, first class, all this kind of stuff, and bells should have started ringing at this moment when I'm sipping champagne in first class and all that kind of stuff. And I got to this event and we're having a sound check the day before, and again things should have been making sense. The screens were bigger than any house I lived in, and I looked like an aunt as a four thousand strong audience it was going to be the next day because all these seats were there, and I was like, okay. The brief that I got were these people have everything they could ever want and need, So you just bring humility, So bring yourself humble them. I can do that. And they said to me, so how long have I got for this talk? And they said, you've got eight minutes? And I said, wow, that's a big story to fit into eight and I normally get forty five. Any chance I could have fifteen just in the prep and they said, look the Dalla Lama and it gets twelve.
Speaker 1: So and I thought they were joking.
Speaker 2: I thought they were joking.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, good one.
Speaker 2: I guess eight will do. And so I get there the next day and I'm in the green room and the lily snacks and I love snack. This is woman sitting there like an African American woman, black woman, beautiful, stunning, and I was like, gee, she looks familiar. And I said, good a. I'm Kath and she said, Kath, really nice to meet. I'm Michelle. And I was like, awesome.
Speaker 1: Fuck.
Speaker 2: I was like she's so beautiful, and I go, it's really nice to meet you. And she said yeah. Likewise, what are you doing back here? And I said, I'm speaking today, I'm opening the whole conference. She said what are you going to talk about? I said, well, I guess my life story, but essentially kindness. She said's one of my most favorite things to hear about and to learn about it. I was like, oh, that's truly lovely. I said what are you doing? And she said, I'm on after you. And I was like, what are you talking about? And she said, oh, this is twenty eighteen. And she goes and I don't watch TV or anything like that, and she says, I'm going to talk about the Me Too movement and I said, wow, I've heard about that and she said, I'm sure you have. There. So she's sitting there and she goes. She goes, hey, I'm going to go out the front. You mind if I watch I'm going to leave you here. I'd really like to listen to it you're going to talk about. And I said, of course, Like I said, I'll do the same. This is the finish, I'll run around like I really want to hear what you got to say. And I was like, what a wonderful woman. So I sweat starts. I'm like where am I like, what's going on? I get out and I'm two minutes into the eight that I've got start sort of, you know, sharing everything's gone really really well, and then I look off center on stage to the right, and I was like everything just started to make sense, just sitting next to her husband, Barack Obama, and I'm like, and I just go, holy fuck, that was Michelle Obama. What the fuck did I say? Did I swear? Oh my god? Oh my god? And I was like, where am I? And I looked to the left and it's the da La Lama, I see you've read and yellow all like the who's.
Speaker 1: Of the Wells in this room.
Speaker 2: And I just shout myself like this, like the sweat was dripping off me, and I nearly ruined the whole thing, and I was just like, so I finished the talk and had to apologize to her for basically saying I'm a fucking idiot. I'm so sorry. I didn't know like, of course I know who you are, like, of course it I just like I was so nervous, and she's like, it's fine, I loved your story. I got this like standing ovation and everyone's like on me. But I was like, holy shit, how has this happened? And yeah, my parents hate me for that, so like, how if you should have bowing down to this person.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, I didn't really think so, But she one hundred percent would have loved the fact, because she would have thought you knew who she was and just didn't care or didn't clock it. She would have loved that you treated.
Speaker 2: Her like normal.
Speaker 1: But I think this is so fucking At least you didn't say you look familia. At least she didn't ask her what she did for a job.
Speaker 2: I was like, she's Dutch. I was like, she's stunning, Like she's she's so beautiful when she's got the runaway says like people like that have an aura, but she genuine I've never really experienced itting. I'm like, this woman is stunning and her voice and all that, and I'm like, yeah, she did look for me. I'm like, maybe it's just because she's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Like, have I seen you on a commercial the next commercial summer? I just love how unassuming this is that You're like even at the point where you're standing there on a stage and it's a thirty thousand audience and you're like, well, this has got a bit at it. This escalated quickly, didn't it. How did you not know? I can't even my face the whole time you're telling that story was like, mouth open in shore. Did you get to meet Barak?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did, Barack, Barrack Barack. I don't know. Did you get to meet here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I called him mister president. I think that was.
Speaker 1: Only if you're singing happy birthday. I want to be good. I'm sorry, I'm like, I'm actually still. As the story was unraveling, I was like, where is this gonna go? I didn't know you were about to say that the name when you were like she was really, I was like, fuck, farmer, this feeds any getting drunk and passing out in the Gutta story that you were also tossing up to tell. Let me just say that, Kav. I want to get into a bit more of your like what makes you you? Like, where did you come from? Where did you grow up? What was your childhood?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about that time in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the youngest of four kids, so I got a really big family and three older brothers. So I guess that's where I say, can get my nature from. And I guess the grittiness and the resilience that I've had, Like we had to fight at the dinner table for food and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So I'm one of four. I feel you we had to fight to the death for a food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was important, right, Yeah, surviv will die. Like my family from a really tiny country town. I was actually back there last week for a family funeral unfortunately, but called Finley in regional New South Wales, so it's like population fifteen hundred and I love it, like it's like my favorite holiday destination now just because you can switch off you don't get phone reception. There's like one part in town in the main drag where you get phone reception and stuff. But I feel like it really set me up for life. Finley. It's a really special place how I describe it, because well, what's it like there? And when I was back there last week, I noticed that the advertising at the hotel motel is one of them advertised they're dragging to get you in there, is that they have color TV.
Speaker 3: Sign me up.
Speaker 2: So that's how I Yeah, people are like, oh, I get it now, like it's probably one of those yeah, but it's everything to me. It's it really feels like home and really proud to have family roots there for sure. So yeah, no, for me, it was just sport, like with three elder brothers and in a place like Finlan and all that kind of stuff, there's not really that much to do. I've never really been big on TV or anything like that, so it was just always running around playing some kind of sport as a kid and all that kind of stuff. But I think being the only girl, you know, Mum wanted a girl. She had three boys all that kind of stuff, and so I was supposed to be the you know, the princess and the ballet dancer and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: But she's like, can I return this? This is not what I ordered. Yeah, I'm pretty.
Speaker 2: Sure I broke her heart. Like I you know, from four, they timed me out for ballet and tap and all that, and I just hated it, like I'd just make every excuse to go to the bathroom or do something like that and just wish that I was playing cricket in the backyard with my brothers and stuff. And then when I was eight, I sort of grew the courage to tell Mom, look, I don't think this is for me anymore. I think I told Dad actually, because he was just like, yep, cricket get her in there. Yeah, he saw me like playing against my brothers and he was like, she's actually quite good at this. So trading in the ballet slippers for cricket spike and fell in love with the game. So I was just a normal happy kid. Hey, Like I didn't have any kind of trouble growing up, Like bullying was never present in my life. I was amongst high school kids and stuff like that just floated amongst everyone, school captain and all that kind of stuff. So yeah, I just love love life. I still do love life, But yeah, I just had a really genuinely, really cool childhood.
Speaker 1: The cricket is a really big part of your story. If anyone's listening now saying, why are we talking about the sports so much? Because you were a rising cricket star, you were very good, You were on your way to being top of your game, and that unfortunately was cut short by an accident. Can you tell us about that and what happened.
Speaker 2: I was that person that just had to really work hard at everything that they earned or achieved and things like that. So I was never naturally gifted. I was okay enough, but all the coaches said, you're probably not going to make it to the level that you're aspiring to. I wanted to play for Australia, do all that kind of stuff, and I just had to grind and work hard on my fitness and do all that kind of stuff. And I got handed my chance in twenty eleven to play for New South Wales. I've been over in the UK, played for them, sorry Middlesex over there, and then the yeah, the phone come calling and they said, look, we're ready to pick you, so come back. All that kind of stuff, so come back. And I've been training really really hard, and I've noticed a bit of pain in my left glute and some numbness in my left hoe my left big toe, and I went to the physio and she was a little bit more alarmed and I was like, look, currently feel my big toe and she was just like, oh, that's a bit of an issue. And in those sorts of sports environment there's no privacy, so your teammates always around you when you're naked and all that kind of stuff, and getting undressed for the physio all that, and so everyone's like, what do you mean you can't feel your big to I was like, I don't know, like it just can't feel it like Lane, that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they scanned up and I realized that I had a prolapse disc in my spine, so nothing, you know, it was you know, serious, but not too severe, they sort of said to me, and they said, look, we can try some quarterzone injections, but basically you're up for selection. Been going really really well, like I had a great debut all that kind of stuff, and they said, look, it's up to you. It's fifty fifet when I'm going to rule you out. But you need to know the risks associated with playing. And so I said, okay, well of coursing on a pit because this is what I've dreamt of since I was like a little girl, since I was eight. And so I played and no regrets. But essentially in the next game that I played, the disc that was prolapsed in my spine, it come up that quickly that the two vertebrae had nowhere to go, and they cracked onto each other, and part of the bottom vertebrae cracked off and embedded itself straight into my spinal cord.
Speaker 1: So, oh my god.
Speaker 2: In the game, yeah, I was twenty three, and immediately you know that sensation that had in my big toe was both legs, blow the waist, all that kind of stuff. So raced off to hospital and started scanning up and was raced into some surgery and all that kind of stuff, and then five unsuccessful surgeries and they said, mate, like, not only is this stream just gone, but you're never going to walk again life in a wheelchair. Like the damage is really severe. So really confronting, said like, I'd built an identity around being able to hit a ball around the park, and so relationships and love and all that sort of thing, I guess was on the back. And so yeah, just had this situation where I was like, all of this has now been taken away from me.
Speaker 1: Who am I? What do I do?
Speaker 2: All that kind of stuff? And one doctor, my doctor, so he said, look, there's this new age technique that they're doing with spinal surgeries at the moment, all spines at the moment. It's from the US. There's a lot of people doing it there, but it's very new to hear. There's one surgeon that does it. It's in the Gold Coast. So we've got to get you there to have this surgery. But it's going to give you the best chance, so I can't guarantee it, but you should take it. And so, of course, like not really thinking there was any alternative, which there wasn't really apart from just resigning myself to the fact that it was life in a wheelchair, off I went and I had that surgery. The difference between that one and others is so invasive. Normally they'd cut through your back and access your spine that way, and this one they cut through the stomach and they you know, shift your entire stomach so vital logans or get pushed aside and they access the spine that way. So yeah, really big one, and you sort of, you know, afterwards feeling quite groggy and a lot of pain because of that. But they line the vertebrae with titanium reinforcement, put like a ball and socket joint in there, I guess the idea is, and they sort of like put a casing around it, and the idea is that you'd get a lot more mobility with that ball and socket.
Speaker 1: At the time when you opted to have this really invasive surgery, was it with the hopes that you'd be able to go back to cricket or was it just with the hopes that you would be able to gain full use of your legs and be walking again. Where were you at in your own processing and at this point were you not walking? Were you better? Yeap? So that was already there was no movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a really decent question, a really good one that not many people are asked, because for me, I was always getting back on the park like that was never a thing, like it was never never once did my thought presssess say you're not going to play cricket again, whereas everyone else was like, just try and walk like or just anything like. But everyone else, I think believe that it would never get there and that's okay, like no drama. But I think for me the intention was I'll get through this, it's okay. And I guess because the injury happened and it was like surgery, surgery, surgery, and you sort of get stuck in this vortex of just I just need to get through today and then I'll be okay, and then I'll get through tomorrow and then I've got the surgery coming up and hopefully that fixes it and all that kind of stuff. But it's a huge surgery. Threw four centimeters in that surgery, so my bmile mess immediately improves and I'm like, sick, this is awesome. The wunder you wake up feeling the way that you do, Like I was like the world is end, Like it felt like the world was ending when I woke up from that surgery. The pain that I was in my body was horrific. And I've been through a lot of injuries and a lot of pain and stuff, and I remember, you get to ask the pains go it was your pain out of ten and for me, like to say eight is excruciating. And I was like, it's a seven and she was just like, I think that's a ten. I'm pumper with like like all these drugs and stuff, and so it was intense. I mean, I'd never want to watch a YouTube having been through it. I don't think I want to watch what that surgical interventions like. I mean, the pain that I felt, I can I can understand it'd be pretty pretty full.
Speaker 1: On afterd this surgery was that when you were told that you may need to have an amputation, is that when there was some more complications.
Speaker 2: Not immediately, So basically you know I'm in the Gold Coast that happens. You lie there for two weeks in traction. That's when all the head noise started for me. Like I've never I'd never up until that point, experience any sort of form of mental ill health. As I said, I had a great childhood and just never really, you know, I've been lucky enough to be blessed with the brain that doesn't work that way immediately. And so yeah, I'm lying there for traction, and I just start thinking, Wow, is this I mean, so much pain, and you know, so many drugs gone through my system.
Speaker 1: I'm really groggy.
Speaker 2: I can't get clear in my thinking process. And everyone kept saying, you know, it's two weeks and then you might take your first steps, we can't guarantee it, and all this kind of stuff. I'm like, well, we lie because I mean so much pain. Is this going to be worth it? And all that? And so two weeks later, I get out of bed and I've got all these like early male nurses and stuff underneath me. Helped me to walk and I only took two steps that day, but I still couldn't feel anything. The day after that, I took four, and you know, I spent the next sort of six weeks in the Gold Coast, my stomach wound healing and doing all that kind of stuff until they like medically cleared me to fly back home to Sydney I was living at that point in time, and then finish the rehab processes and outpatient here, so like go and keep keep your activities up and all that kind of stuff. And at this point it's like deemed a miracle because you know those Canadian crutches, the one that we like wrap around, I was walking with them, so I looked like I was doing very very well, and I was. I started to regain feeling in my right leg, which was amazing. Left was a little bit far behind, but it was getting and you could sense that. And then I woke up one morning due to be at rehab, like just a routine sort of thing with the injury I was going through. And you know when you like sat down too long, could be at work or you know wherever you are watching Netflix still and whatever, and your arms are in that bent position you can't move them, yeah, and you're like, shit, my arm's and I'm like I'll shake it out and get the pins and needles and all that. It was like that it's like five o'clock in the morning. But my entire left leg, it was just really heavy, and I was like, what's going on here? So I thought it must have slept in a funny position. So I tried to like maneuver myself in bed, and nothing really happened. Like two minutes later, I'm still sort of waiting for it to wake up, and I'll never forget it. I flick on my bedside table lighte and I look under the cover and my entire left leg was just blue, like a who's kind of color.
Speaker 1: Just no blood was getting to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you didn't know that. I didn't know that because you don't feel it. Yeah. So I pick up my leg, couldn't move it, pick it up, put it to the side of my bed, face planted, And this part of the story it will resonate with you. I crawled myself into the bathroom and I sat on the toilet, and I had no idea if I was using the bathroom, and my surgeons it all said to me, with an injury like yours, if that happens, if your blood or bow'll start to shut down, that's life threatening, and you get straight to an emergency room, and so I thought, okay, I can't wuck around here. So I had flatmates, and being the stubborn creature that I am, I didn't ask any of them for help. I crawled past them to my car.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, cat. If there's ever a time to say hey, someone help me is when you're crawling to drag yourself to a hospital.
Speaker 2: Just earlier. My thought process was like, I need to get to a hospital, but also I can't wake the marp, but it's too early. So I crawled myself out to a car and I drove an auto and I had a right leg that was working, and put myself into the car and started driving towards what I thought would be rehab. And called my doctor on the way and picked up and he said, what's going on? I said, look, here's how I woke up this morning, and he said, bypass rehard met me straight at RPA Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney. So I get there, are parking emergency bay and I crawled myself into the emergency room and they're like, man, what on earth are you doing? And I said, look, he's what my life's looked like. The last kind of you know three months. And so I woke up this morning and they put me in a wheelchair and I get into that consult room till about a half a day's worth of testing. And again, I'll never forget this moment. E They're like, all the doctors are sort of outside of my room, and I could tell there was something going on that was big, and they were looking in and I try and look at their eyes or lippre what they were saying and hear what they were saying, and every time they'd catch my gaze, they'd look away. It couldn't really look me in the eye. And I was like, shit, I don't think it's going to be good news. And yeah, one doctor walks in, my doctor and he just sort of said, look, Kath, I'm afraid the news isn't great. We're going to amputate your leg. And I just sat there and completely disbelief, going what I said so many words. Probably we've already dropped a few f bombs up because I am all on, but yeah, like all this stuff just starts going through my head. What on earth is going on? I didn't know this was a risk for me, all that kind of stuff. And I called my brother. The funniest part about this is he was a butcher at the time, and they're going to amputate my leg and that was really we found that really funny in the moment.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad you found very dark. It's very hey. If that's how you handle it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just had to sort of yeah. So he just started asking all the questions that I you know, the shock that I was in, I didn't think to ask, and so basically I just like explained this to me because I don't really understand it. And they said, well, anyone with normal, healthy legs, depending on where they're sitting, running, walking, crawling, whatever is that doing, they've got a normal blood pressure anywhere between ninety and one hundred percent. Anything blow twenty percent is dire, and anything blow ten percent is dead. And I said where am I and they said, well, you were at seven percent at one point this morning. I said, wow, so it's dead and they said that's why it's turned blue. But it is fluctuating. And I said, well, is that what we call hope? And they sort of giggled at me and they said, mate, this is serious, and I said, yeah, I appreciate that, but no one's ever told me that I was at risk of having my leg amputated. Like, I don't have anything against I live with a disability now, I don't have anything against that. It's just I didn't know this was it's a able. So I say, can you give me a chance at just keeping it, Like, just give me a shot, just prescribe me something, a drug appeal, whatever it is. They said, well, we can't really figure it out. We don't really know what's going on, but we think it's a blood flow issue, so exercise could help. And I was like, oh cool, I'm an athlete and I had to do that. So what's my deadline all that kind of stuff. And they said, well, we'll give you two weeks. You need to go to hospital or rehab every morning, get it tested. If it drops below ten again, it's gone on the spot. But essentially if you can get it above twenty percent by this time, like two weeks, then we might be able to work with that. So my next two weeks looks like this. I'd get up at like four in the morning, have Brecky, go to hospital or rehab, have it tested with the help of their sort of physios and practitioners get it moving in any way that could. And again I was walking with those Canadian crutches and said I wasn't walking. I was hopping on my right leg I could, or my left literally dragged half meter behind me. So the shoes are all worn down and scuffed and really confronting to see and go back home, have more brecky, go to the local gym. There's some stuff there that I could do. Go back home, have lunch, go back to the local gym, and anyone that knew my struggle would sort of help me, because it was really hard to keep it moving and I couldn't really sleep because of the stress and anxiety. So I'd get up at like two in the morning, and I had a twenty four hours past the city cricket ground where I was a contracted athlete. I'd go there just to get my leg moving at two in the morning, and the security guards, because it's man twenty four hours a day, they'd notice the lights on and rather than coming down and kicking me out, like they probably very within their right to do, they said, so what are you doing here? A's two o'clock in the morning. And I explained my situation and as I said, rather than kicking me out, hit Bobby, this older guy who always seemed to draw the short shore, and that two week period of that night shift would literally get electrical tape and he'd strap my left leg into a spin bike or a cross trainer, go back to his post, come back and unstrap me, and then help me with an machine. And it was the first time in my life that I really understood recognize the power of kindness right like this guy.
Speaker 1: Actually, I've tried not to just like tears Roy, I love Bobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bobby, he's past, bless his soul, but he was just such a wonderful man. And those moments are so powerful and I just and this is my mission now in life, is to if you have the opportunity to help someone in times like that, please do it because it means so much to a person when they're in a struggle. Moments like that have definitely saved my life and they are so powerful. And yeah, I just think those moments are so important to surviving in times of adversity, but also to thriving in life as well. So yeah, I'll progress the story. It gets to the day before you to be amputated, and I know that we've sort of alluded to dark humor, and my family very much rely on that to get through, and having supported me through many moments, have gotten there as well. It was to no avail, so I couldn't get above twenty percent, and I thought all these efforts were gone, and my pair parents decided they wanted to have a barbecue on Sunday before the Monday that I was going to have this amputation, and my brother legitimately put together this invitation and send it to my closest friends and family, and it simply read, you're invited cuts last day with two legs barbecue.
Speaker 1: We're having a farewell. Oh my god, stop it. I mean, I actually love that. I love that because there's there's so much that can be done with humor, and it really does help so many situations. And if that's what helps to you, guys, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and it's so funny. And I wet myself and I was like this, this is great, but in all seriousness to have those people like my closest friends and family around me, I just I was just like, it's okay, I'll be a leg less the next day. But I've got so much love around me, so much support and all that kind of stuff. Not looking forward to it by any stretch, but I was like, I'm gonna be okay, Like it's okay. But yeah, when I was staying at Mum and Dad's that night, they're going to take me into the surgery the next day and wrap their arms around me and all that. And I don't really remember this part of the story, but dud tells it really well. Woke up at sort of three in the more feeling pretty crooked and collapsed unconsciously onto the floor, went to use the bathroom or something, and it woke that up, the thud on the floor. So picked me up, put me into the car, took me this innery or a hospital, made an entire body scan, and realized that I've been bleeding internally from the stomach wound. So basically, the surgeon had very accidentally and very slightly nicked the federal artery that ran into my left leg.
Speaker 1: So that's why that was the problem. That's why you went the blood supply. Yeah, you must have had a clot. When you were telling this story, I thought you must have had a clot in your left federal artery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he basically nicked it was so mini skill and I'd lost all her weight throughout my recovery, and so the blood was sort of pulling in this pocket in my stomach. Almost couldn't see it to the naked eye and the nerve damage in my spinal cord injury. From my spinal cord injury, it just wouldn't carry the limited supply of blood into that left leg. And so raised off emergency surgery again, and three hours later, I wake up really groggy. I just start feeling around is it attached? Like is my leg still there? And everyone was like, you know, the surgeons like made it. It's still attached. It's okay, lightsop pain, but you're not out of the woods. To keep it attached and to keep it healthy, you need to go to rehab. And if you ever want the chance of walking again, that's going to look like six to twelve months. And I've never really heard of rehab for that long or you know, in that way or anything like that. And so they said, you know, pack up your life, quit your job, cricket's gone, like all that kind of stuff, Off you go, And so I just didn't really see any other options. So off to rehab I went. And you know, after recovering from that surgery obviously, and it was such a confronting experience for me. I was I was twenty three at the time, and you know, you feel so adult when you're that age, and I wasn't. I was just a kid.
Speaker 1: Basically, what was your mental health like at this point in time when your identity has changed so much so quickly, and you at each point are thinking, Oh, I'm going to get better and this is going to be okay, and I'm going to get back to doing the thing that I love, which was my identity. Yeah, how are you not just physically, but how are you emotionally and mentally at that point in time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think like the decline in my mental health happened a little bit later, and again I think it was just literally and I feel like probably the last ten years of my life, because there've been so many roadblocks and big challenges and as well as some really amazing moments as well, I just felt like I was constantly coming up for air. So at that point, again, still very probably naive, and I think I was protected because of my support network as well, and the fact that I was never predisposed to mental real health probably helped me in that phase. So it wasn't too bad. Again, I just had this belief that I was going to be okay. And I don't know where that comes from or why. Again, just probably luck in my upbringing and things like that, But it wasn't too bad at that point in time. Certainly, when I first got there, I was putting the wrong ward. I was twenty three and I got put in the geriatric ward and beds in the water. I was supposed to be, and so I had three categories. The over sixty fives, you over seventy fives, and they over eighty fives, and they were always at twenty three. They put me with eighty five year olds, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like hanging out with Daryl. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: As I said, I was twenty three. I've always been a pretty decent person and cared about others, but really the other thing I'd ever cared about was cricket, and here I am surrounded by these geriatric patients who taught me so much about life and perspective. I had, you know, an eighty five year old war veteran who had bullet holes in his back, and he told me all these stories, confronting stories about hardship, and I was like, Jesus, this is adversity, like not breaking your back, like really dying on the warfront. Like wow, this puts my struggle into perspective. And my best friend actually from rehab was an eighty five year old woman, Daisy. Daisy wasn't actually her name was. It was irs. I called her Daisy because she called me Alice. She still has her granddaughter. Oh, so like warmed and broke my heart at the same time. But yeah, she had dementia and had suffered a stroke and all that. So every day I'd take her a cup of tea, had to thicken it with an agent so she didn't catch pneumonia. And she just told me stories that were the most amazing stories. I don't think any of them were true, but that were phenomenal stories that really made my time a little bit more bearable. But that was the reality of my life at that moment. I just had to find friendship in the most extraordinary faces and ways, And yeah, I loved it. I learned so much as a result of those guys. But you know, you referred to some mental health. What was it like? I remember a week into my stay there and the reality just hit me like a ton of bricks and just had tears running down my face. I was like, how on earth I've gotten through my first week? And it was horrific. How on earth am I going to get through six to twelve months of this?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How is that possible? And I called my best friend and this story it really highlights the importance of human connection to me. I said, look, you got to come and pick me up. And she's like, Cauth, I'm a little bit confused. You're in rehab. We know that six to twelve months all that kind of stuff, So I know if they cut my leg off, that's okay. I just can't stay in this environment much longer. And she said, mate, this has breaking me to see you like this. You're my best friend. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you. I can't do this for you. I wish I could, because I'd take it away if I could, but I can't, and she goes, what I can do is I can tell you that I believe in you, and I know that you've got this. I've seen you do hard things and I know that you can get through this, and she said, I won't come pick you up, I'll come visit and I'll walk this journey metaphorically. So I buy side with you. You've got this, and please know that I've leave in you. And I think that tough love. Really it gave me that sense of belief where I was like, Okay, if she believes in me, then then I need to believe in myself as well. I've got this, and so I just then committed myself to the process. It was, you know, go from bed to chair, chair to frame, frame to stick, six to stick and then you're on your way, and much harder in reality when you're you know, everyone's telling it you're not going to do it and all that kind of stuff. I'm like, well, see how we go. I'll give it a go today and all that kind of stuff. So it was tough, and my luck changed in a really good way though about a month into my stay when I met something so much grander than anything that I experienced before, in meeting who was going to be the love of my life. So yeah, I ended up meeting a fellow patient. His name was Jim Rugby league player or semi professional rugby league player an injury spine, not doing rugby of all things. That was the tough matter obstacle race. So he was doing that probably shouldn't have with contractual sort of things. And it's on that I don't really I've never really seen it, but I must have been like a monkey bar kind of challenge. And someone had gone to early and pushed into his back and he fell awkwardly from a pretty great height and broken his back too. So he lands himself in rehab and being surrounded by you know Daisy or not Daisy, but Iris as well as you know war Vester into our love. They're you know, still great friends and stuff. But you know, it was really refreshing to see someone of like mind, age ability, all that kind of stuff enter And I thought it was quite cute and all that kind of stuff, and so it was like, well, when I got here, it would have been really nice to have someone show me the ropes and show me just all the things you need to know in a new environment. It's like I've taken upon myself to be that person for him so that he can lean on me. It's really confronting when you get there all that kind of stuff and.
Speaker 1: To get in there before Daisy does yeah.
Speaker 2: Of his mind, yeah, I think, well she was, she was right in there, she was nudging me. She's like, you know, just started off as friends and just enjoyed each other's company, and very quickly, and much to my surprise, we fell in love, which was just so special. I mean, who finds love in a rehab center? It sounds so funny to even say. Thankfully it wasn't drugging alcohol rehab. But I guess the thing that made our time bearable in rehab was because we really didn't like that environment. It was let's stream a life that exists once we're finished, and that's almost the reward, right, So what does life look like? So our dreams were like they were amazing, And think back on this time right now with so much adoration, and it still warms my heart to think about it. So for us, it was four kids, three boys and a girl, just like my family, the house in Broad Border on the Gold Coast, which is where he was from originally, pet turtles, the dog, all that kind of stuff, and we dreamt so often to make that time bearable. And there were dreams that I'd never dreamt before or dared to dream with anyone before, because all I ever cared about was was cricket. And I remember three months into our relationship, you know, in that kind of phase where you like, this person is perfect, like could never and he's still perfect to me. But I remember three months in going I am so grateful that I broke my back, Like I'm so grateful, and that so sounds so confronting to hear that, right, but I was like, if I didn't, I wouldn't have met this person who's everything to me now. And I just the life that we'd been dreaming, that we were dreaming was so special to me, and we're just like young kids in love, like sort of long walks on the beach, we did wheelchair races in the corridor and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: And was he a quadriplegic paraplegic or was he just not able to walk?
Speaker 2: Like what we were very similar to me so para but had he had a better prognosis than what I did, and you know, his recovery was pretty phenomenal as well. Like we were both people who I guess had that never say it just the athletic kind of background and things like that when we both entered rehabit in wheelchairs but progressed, you know, within three months to be out of those and still had a lot of work to do to get back to normality. But both really really gritty in I guess our determination to want a better life for both of us, so strong mindset and all that kind of stuff as well.
Speaker 1: And to put this into perspective, just for a time frame from your injury until this point in time, what's the time period that has passed.
Speaker 2: The initial injury. Yeah, it would have been about six months I reckon from Yeah, initial injury for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in love, and what you were just saying is for you to say, I was actually grateful that I break my back. Love is a really powerful thing, Like there is no better feeling in the world than having someone love you unconditionally and you love someone back. And I think that that's a testament from what you just said, the fact that I'm grateful to be here and I'm sure he was too. So how long were you two together in rehab and how did that end in terms of did one of you get out first?
Speaker 2: So we're together twelve months. I was basically at that point considering outpatient. So I lasted about eight months an in house patient at the rehab center and then progressed onto outpatient. What that means is you just there three mornings a week, say, getting checked up and continuing the process and getting better. But you can then go home and be in your home environment or at work or wherever it is that you're doing, and live some sort of so almost like a transition into normal life. Jim had a day to go before he was to be considered that kind of patient. Just put the lease on the house together, and all these dreams that we've been dreaming, we're about to come true the very next day. So yeah, he was probably three months behind me, but his injuries were, you know, three months after mine as well.
Speaker 1: And at this point, like we're here to talk about the kindness Factory, and there are so many challenging things that have happened in your life that have contributed to you creating the kindness factory. And you would think that after going through this process of breaking your back, that that was the life that you were creating was on the way up. Now, that's what you had everything to look forward to. But that's not where your story ends.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not so that night, so he was due to bid released on the fourteenth of November, and the day before his release of the thirteenth of November in twenty twelve, he passed away. So suicide and just, oh god, it's nearly the anniversary and it just it crushed me beyond belief. Still to nine years later, and it's so hard. It's God, I love him still still to this day. He's just so perfect to me. You know, no one's perfect, but to me, he was just everything.
Speaker 1: And oh shit, you're looking at it. We're just crying looking at you that cav Just you're I mean, you're honestly sitting here. You are one of the most positive people we have spoken to. The way that you tell your stories and the way that you honor him in what you have created is truly truly beautiful. But just talk me through this period when you have gone through having your back shattered to them, losing the love of your life. Did you know that he was struggling in this way? Did you know that this was something he'd been considering.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't, And it's so interesting. My life story gets put in shining lights and all that kind of stuff, and you get one life and you live it through the lens that you get. And I wouldn't change my life or my experiences for anything, because I'm proud of the person that I am and the people that have come on my journey, and some are here still to this day and others aren't. They've shaped me into the perth. There's this saying it's I don't even know if I made it up or not, but it's, you know, I'm little pieces of everyone that I've met. Did Jim. I cherish most of the parts that are his, that exists within me, and as you said, the legacy that's now being created, it's not even me, it's definitely him. He's at the forefront of everything that I do, and no, I didn't see it coming. And the grief that happened after he's passing, it's still torturous and I still live with challenges of that every single day and reminders of that. And for so long I held on to this thing that he'd given me so much as in you know, I was never faced with the thought of suicide ideation throughout my rehab period, but he definitely helped me throughout the struggle of rehab, and I just kept thinking, well, did I not help him? And it was never was I not enough? I have to believe that our relationship was as beautiful as it exists within my heart now, and I'm definitely not thinking otherwise at all. Ever. I just felt so much empathy for him in that, you know, was he struggling and I didn't see it? And I wish he just had told me, because I opened up to him a lot and saying I'm really struggling today and I can't I don't want to go to this session, and he'd be like, come on, babe, We've got this, like it's all good. And I love him more because of his struggle, which is so hard to say because he's not here anymore. But he was just so beautiful on the inside and out, and yeah, I just I couldn't love him anymore if I tried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was there any kind of explanation or do you think he just wasn't ready to face a life on the outside like starting again? Was he still not walking or where do you think its stemmed from? After he's done, he seems to have done all the hard work you would literally, like you said you'd sign at least you're one day away from your life. What do you think happened?
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I think I've heard from a lot of I think we're called survivors of suicide, you know, when someone very close is passed away in that way, and there's so many different responses and it's such a relative experience, and I think it's such a personal experience. For Jim, it was so inexplicable. He was never going to be the guy that did that, Like Jim was never going to be the guy that did that, and so many stories out there like that, right, you know, smiling, depression, all that kind of stuff. He didn't have an existing mental health condition, he didn't see to be struggling. There was support available, all those sorts of things, but there was so much going on for him that I'm still learning about today. That still just gives me so much empathy for him and his struggle and all those sorts of things. And I think, even individually for both of us, we never know what another person is truly thinking, right, Like we can think that we do and we can say that this person is my everything and I know everything about them, but we all have little secrets like I do. I haven't told a lot of people certain parts about my life and things like that, and that's just because they're our own. And I don't think he wanted to share that outwardly with anyone. His mum and I were incredibly close, and she didn't see it. There was no warning sign or anything like that. His friends, you know, I feel like I just I exhausted them post his passing, just by calling them and going. But when that moment happened, could he have meant that? And it's like, well he could have, cath, but we don't know, mate, Like it's you know, and so I think he can run yourself into the ground, honestly, asking so many questions. All those photos that we've got together, are they and he's smiling in them? Does he mean that smile? Or was that moment a special to him as it was to me? And you rack your brain and you're never going to have the answers to that. For Jim, A lot of people say you must be angry, and I was like, absolutely not. Angry is not an emotion that I felt towards him, certainly at all. I felt a little bit of anger towards myself. You know, why did I not see that coming? And this is a fair while ago now, but no, it was If anything, I probably loved him more, not for any other reason than I just it was just so special.
Speaker 1: And yeah, how do you begin to heal from this? And I mean maybe you don't entirely, and maybe obviously that is where the kindest factory has come from. But what has contributed to you being able to overcome some of this and work through this?
Speaker 2: I'm still working through it now. You know, have recently re engaged with a psychologist and she's been wonderful and all that kind of stuff, and he's helping through other parts of that grief and trauma and all that kind of stuff. But initially that wasn't the answer for me. I'm still not sure if it is today. I'm still trying to find my way. It's nine nine years later, but I lasted ten months after his passing just ignoring my grief and the trauma that I went through in his passing and all those sorts of things. And then it just hit me like a ton of bricks. So I had to go back to rehab for a routine sort of check up. I walked past his room and just all hit me and it just all come crashing down, and I ended up going to the Gold Coast. Where would you just start this life together? I reconnected with his mom and all that kind of stuff, who I'd ignored, and she was such since passed, but she was such a wonderful woman. And then I felt so guilty for ignoring her, like, you know, she's lost her son and all that kind of stuff, and I just kept owning all this responsibility of it all, and I needed to let that go. And I think I'll always still feel a little bit responsible to work in progress. I think life is as well. But I went to the Gold Coast and I spent three weeks there just at that rock bottom, you know, like first I lose this stream of playing cricket, and then I lose the person who taught me there was so much more to life than cricket. And halfway through this three week period, I'm sat in Wendy was Jim's mum's name. I'm sat in her place, and on the coffee table was a piece of paper and a pen. I don't know why it was there or what compelled me to do what I did, but I just had that kind of moment where I was like, oh, I just started reflecting on a lot of things, and I picked up the pen and I just started writing. All these names kept and faces kept popping into my mind, and they were just names and faces of people who had helped me or shown up for me in my life. And I just started writing their names down.
Speaker 1: On this list.
Speaker 2: And it was a full shit at paper, like thirty names on it at the end. And then I don't know why I did it, but I'm so glad that it happened, because it really sort of, I guess, springboarded me into this next phase of life. I picked up my phone. I just started calling every person on this list. The first was like my doctor and he must have seen my name flash up on the screen and he's picked up at me and going, oh my god, what have you done? What have you broken?
Speaker 1: How do I help you to the hospital again? Please say Carl.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, Doc, that's not why i'm calling. It's I'm just calling and say thanks, like I don't think i'd be here without you, and you've had a huge impact on my life. Thank you for that. And he just went pardon, it's just like, Ca, you don't have to thank me, it's my job. And I was just like, well, I wanted to. So he said, look, before you hang up, I just I'm so glad to hear from you, to know that you're okay and you're going to be okay, and I'm really proud of you. And I said thanks, dork and hung up, and I just started calling all these people, family friends, anyone who had really shown up for me, and same response. Everyone was like, mate, I'm really stoked to hear that you're okay. And I was like, thanks, like, I think everything's going to be okay, guys, Like, I've got so many good people in my life, and I think that's why I'm so positive, Like people have always had belief in me, and I'm internally driven by the goodness of others and so them showing up for me always has shown so much faith. And yeah, I just I come back to Sydney after that, and I didn't know what life would look like. I didn't know who I wanted to be, you know, just because I was an athlete and I mean I had to be one and all that kind of stuff and yeah, cricket new stuff. Well, I was through my a lifeline in a sports admin job. And so I had this job then and I was going okay, Like physically I was I was pretty good too, And I got asked a lot of questions because everyone's like, holy moly, like twenty four and you've just been through these huge life hurdles. And a common question was like, if there's one thing that stands out, like, what is it? You know? No judgment, so good, bad, ugly, just say it. And I would always land on kindness, And I say kindness. It's not that, you know, interchangeable kindness with niceness. I think we need to differentiate the two of them, the strength in kindness and how I articulate that. When you've been in a wheelchair like I have been, and you can't reach a lift button and a random stranger walks past and they see that struggle and they press the button for you. It means absolutely nothing to their day, but it meant everything to yours because it allows you to get downstairs and do what you need to do or go where you need to go. Those moments matter, and we need to do more of it, not just when a person's in struggle. But you can't argue with kindness like it costs us nothing. Sometimes it's just a simple smile or a compliment someone or whatever it may be. But there is so much strength in kindness. Recently did study so engage a third party do research for us, and it was to study the impacts of kindness throughout the COVID pandemic. So arguably our most recent historical you know, adversity as a nation or the world really strange turned to kindness. So when we're in a struggle, we look for an opportunity to be kind and to receive kindness. It was connection with neighbors, or helping an able out, or giving someone a compliment, or calling someone and having a meaningful conversation and checking in on them, and all those sorts of things. And I'd encourage anyone as we re emerge. It's here, right, we're all starting to get out and about and stuff. If kindness is so powerful that we rely on it to survive, why not do it every single day that we're now opening up and doing all this kind of stuff. Let's not forget about it. It's so important. And I think anyone who's experienced the power of kindness think back. Everyone's received kindness everyone's given it. Think back to that time and how it made you feel. Let's just do more of it.
Speaker 1: So what is the kindness factory? What is it? What is it about? How do people get involved in it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so how it started was as I said, come back to Sydney and everyone's like, oh, you know, what's the one thing that stands out? And it was always kindness. So then I was like, well, hang on, if I'm telling people this, like, why an't I doing it? If I've received so much and it's on me, I'm well enough now to be able to do that. So I just started doing random things for people, like, I whatt a hairdresser dinner? One night, I just walk past the street, I'm going to go some dinner. Do you want Something's like? Parton this is So we had dinner. He's like, why are you doing this? I was like, oh, So I told him a bit about my stories, like holy shit, so this is a great dinner. And he's like, well, okay, I'm going to cut people's hair for free once a week now like and so he does that, and so it got quite catchy. Bought a random person you know, they're petrol and she had been through the most horrific stuff in life and she's now, you know, doing kind things as well. And so it was nothing more than that. And I had a great job and all of that kind of stuff, and I guess I launched it just on that fromis I just wanted to give back some of the kindness because I've experienced so much. And I launched it on Well Kindness Day, which is also Jim's anniversary, the thirteenth of novembery in twenty fifteen, so six years ago nearly. And it was never going to be anything apart from a side project and a bit of a social media page of goodness essentially, And what really exploded it was I guess that there was a bit more life adversity to follow. So three months into that journey, I was going really really well emotionally spiritually, you know, I'd raise all this money for charity and found purpose again through kindness, just doing things for other people. And that's how my life life made sense to me. And yeah, physically gone really really well. I went back to rehab throughout this period and just st a you know, they were like, we're ready to discharge you for life. Any questions before you do, and I said, I've got one question, miss Cricket. So it was part of who I am. I can't feel my left leg still, that's just something that will never come back. Now, I said, so I can't do that anymore because it's skills based. Anything else I could do And they said, oh, look, your recovery is based in a pool and on a bike. If you were to adding a run, you could be like a paratry athlete. Do you want to give that a go? I was like, oh, okay, So I signed up for a test. I loved it. It was great I could get into this. So ended up being the first passon with my disability to do a half iron Man, so it was a pretty big deal. I did in twenty fifteen. It was wonderful with my brother and did so well at that that I got to tick it into a full lirone Man, to be completed in May twenty sixteen and fittest I've ever been in my life. So a full line Man's a four k swim basically one hundred and eighty kilometer bike ride and a full marathon at the end forty two k.
Speaker 1: So and you've got one leg and this I couldn't do it too. Yeah, literally, and this is just full blown You're getting out there and.
Speaker 2: Do it, just doing it. Yeah, I just loved it, so yeah, I had that ticket to do it in Port McCrary May twenty sixteen and training's on track, fittest I have ever been in my life. And it's the tenth of January. With my two best mates. I was going to go from Cronulla on a bike ride to Manly, have Brecky and go back, so ninety kilometers nothing in the grand scheme of the training. And I get to the north side of the Sydney Harbor Bridge and I start sort of getting towards a right hand turn lane to make my descend into the Northern beaches and just feel this start on my body and everything just goes black. I got hit by a drunk d diver from behind and broke back again.
Speaker 1: And broke your back where the surgery had been or in a different plane, no.
Speaker 2: All around that. So I both broke my back in four places, so thoracic, a little bit of lumber sacral. I dissicated my neck so c spine, broke my left hip so shattered, and broke my right wrist and then yeah, I woke up two weeks later to the news I was paralyzed and told them I'd never walk again, the second time in my life.
Speaker 1: So pretty down and out.
Speaker 2: You know, it was in a coma for a lengthy period. Mom and Dad had to make all sorts of tough decisions about life support, all that kind of stuff. And yeah, I wake up from that six weeks in ICU, fighting off infection, and it was horrific. The injuries were really substantial. And I woke up to all these texts and emails and inbox messages and whatever it may be where people had heard what had happened, and they just started writing to me, going, made, I'm so sorry about your accident, because if you wanted to let you know that today I made my neighbor's lawn, or I donated blood, or I tied my sister's shoes. So all these people sending me these acts of kindness because I recognized that I was no longer in a position to do what I was doing, and so they were like, well, I can do that, like and so it got quite catchy. And in that hospital bed, I spoke to the guy had sort of done our web website pro bono, and I said, look, let's flip it. I've got like hundreds of thousands of these acts off people, and it was almost impossible for me to have a bad day. Like I'm there facing a very lengthy rehab period again, everyone's telling me I'm not going to walk again, and I had to fight against that in my head every single day. And then hear all these people from all around the world just sending me acts of kindness and I was like, this is incredible, and again just couldn't Yeah, I couldn't really get out like that positive sort of thinking just kept hitting me because all these people. I was like, well, yeah, I'm having a bad day, but like, look at all these people up to it was really cool. So yeah, so that's sort of how the Kindness Factory was born. I guess where it then become a people driven movement where people from all around the world just wanted to engage with kindness just because it was the right thing to do and all that kind of stuff. So yeah, I spent six weeks in ICU and hospital and all that, and then I went on to rehab and walked and taught myself how to walk again. When everyone kept telling me I wouldn't. I got quite experimental with it as well. Not long after that accident, So maybe eight months after that accident, I was faced with a bit of a you know, an ethical dilemma or I had to face them, and it hit me with his car in court and it might be a story for another day unless we want to flesh it out. But what I realized through his behavior, which I can't change, was that kindness had saved my life once. Why couldn't it again? So I went on too social media, which gets so many bad wraps and for many good reasons, because sometimes it's really toxic. But when news for good, I think it can do a lot of good. And hopefully that's what kindness factually starting to do as well. I just went on. I said, look, I'm leaving my home with nothing but the clothes on my back on this day, at this time, no cash, no credit card, no food, no water, and I'm not going to accept help off immediate family or friends. I need to accept help only off strangers to feed me, to house me, to get me from A to B wherever this journey takes me. And ended up on news channels all around the world had ten thousand people reach out and say, look, oh help y'all, like come and yeah, why.
Speaker 1: I am shook. I'm shook to the core. Where were you at your in your recovery process at this time when you decided to go on this endeavor of I'm just going to go out on my own and figure it out and hope that people are good to me? Were you walking? Were you not?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Where were you in your recovery? I was walking, but I was still a long way off all the people that cared about me, Like, mane, this is a bad idea.
Speaker 1: You're going to hear someone's basement and you can you please just sit still?
Speaker 2: Like my dad was a cop for forty years. He put a GPS tracker on my backpack and he did. Yeah. I took a toothbrush with me and essential Yeah.
Speaker 1: How long I'm just I'm just cops back. How long did this journey over trained? You get from A to B with only the kindness of strangers? How long did it last? So we're talking a week? Are we talking two months?
Speaker 3: Fuck?
Speaker 1: So you just had a random Okay, let me get this straight. You've gone out. You're like, I've got my toothbrush, I've got my backpack. Someone write to me and tell me I'm in Sydney. Someone writes to me, and then someone would say come to my house. I'll come pick you up. Is that how it worked?
Speaker 2: Again? Like I sort of just maybe I'm too much of a visionary or a dream mark, but I just say stuff and then I'm like, I'll figure it out along the way. And so I was like, I'll put it out there and I'll go in a week. And so all these people then started sending stuff, and then I was on the news and all of that, and heaps of people started writing to me. And so I was like, oh, I've got all these offers, but how do I he assist together? Because I'm like, in one day, I've got an offer in Perth and the next day I've got an offer in Sydney and all that. And so I started trying to map it a little bit, and I was going to be a very structure route and I'm just not structured. So I was like, well this, no, I don't want to do that. But then what I noticed throughout a lot of the people doing it had hips of friends helping me with that process. But was it. All these people, I guess wanting to help were a lot The vast majority of people reaching out had experienced some sort of adversity themselves, and it was the ones that sort of shared a bit about themselves and I was like, they seem quite special. I'm going to pick them for no other reason that I just want to hear their story or get some perspective or whatever. And so I just picked the ones that seemed really a bit deeper in their offer, and that was a really good thing to do, because the rest just worked itself out. So, like you know, the first day, I think I was in all areas of Sydney and I was like, how do I get though? If I've got zero cash, how do I get from A to B to start? Just to start? And then like a it was a luxurious like limousine company reached out and we're like, we're really inspired joannt us to just give you a driver when you're in Sydney.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, dragging around in a limo living like a boss. Why did you stop? Why did you get to the end of the two It should be like ten years old and he's still driving around in your wable. It was they're always like that.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, everyone started like I did a blog every day, and everyone got quite fascinated by the stories. And I realized like halfway through that I wasn't even telling my experience. I was telling these stories of There was one family who just it still blows my mind. So four of them, there was a family of I think it was eight, and four had reached out to me separately. They didn't know the other one had. They just had good bloody people, just good good folk. Yeah, and their story is mind blowing. And the dad of that family that you know, the leader of that family Surge. She was part of the Chilean dictatorship in nineteen eighty six, was in prison, tortured daily, all that kind of stuff. His wife broke him out. They got on a boat. They got on a boat, become pregnant on the boat. Land in Australia. So refugees, all that kind of stuff. And their message when they reached out wasn't like we can do all this kind of stuff. They're like, can we see you struggle and we want to help you. We can't give you much. You can sleep on the floor of our you know, whatever room, our child's room whatever, but we can give you was love, and I was like, I need to go there, like I'm going there and I need to know their story, and so overwhelmed, and I learned so much about adversity. Everyone sees my story is oh my god, again you get one Lens. I don't know any different, and I wouldn't change my life for anything. And my adversities aren't any greater than yours or anyone else's. Again, when we're in those moments, some of the bigger life adversities I've been through haven't impacted me anywhere near is some of the perceived smaller ones. I think it just depends where we're at in that moment in time and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Don't undersell your adversity, like you know, but our adversity is not anywhere near your adversity. And like, I know what you're trying to say, but you have for what you have gone through to where you are now and what you're doing is absolutely incredible. All I'm sitting here now is like, Brittany, don't you ever fucking complain about one thing? I was like, do do not? And that's also this ongoing gift you know to think that you can go through these challenges and come out of it with the mindset of what can I give to somebody else instead of you know, what can I do for myself to make myself better? It's so outward facing, which is what makes your story so much more beautiful in it. In this for somebody who is going through some huge adversity in their life. For somebody who's going through and maybe, like you said, maybe it's not that the physical thing they're going through is the adversity, Maybe they're going through some inner turmoil. But for somebody who's experiencing their own set of challenges, what is your greatest piece of advice? What is something that you think, God, I just wish that someone had said this to me or done this for me.
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: I'd probably say two things. The first is acknowledge it, like own it, like you don't don't ever dismiss your adversity. And what the struggle is that you're going through, like it's there and it's right there with you at that moment in time, and that's okay. You don't have to have the answers right now, tomorrow or whatever. Just understand and believe that it's going to get better because it will. The second thing, And I do this a lot pre COVID. I was traveling the world is a speaker, and I get asked questions like this a lot, and I was like, well, this audience front of me, so there was one hundred people there just for the sake of a number, Can anyone right now put up their hand honestly and maybe to these listeners, can you put up or can you say to yourself honestly, I know what my five top values are as a person. So do I know who I am? What makes me tick? And not many people can honestly go I do. It takes you ten minutes to figure it out, right, So what's important to you? And I think the reason you need to understand what's important to you is because that can then help you climb out of that hole that you need to get out of. So for me, it'd be very different to you and to you and to anyone, right, because we're all so uniquely beautiful and different. For me, my values are a family and friends and loyalty and kindness and probably gratitude. Right, So when I can understand that, I know that in order for me if I'm having a bad day to get out of I probably should need to call a friend and say, hey, get me out of this, right or whatever. Or I just need to experience write down three things that I'm grateful for, or give someone kindness, or ask someone for kindness, or give me myself some kindness as well. And I think when we have that self awareness about who we are, adversity is so much easier.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really important point too. Reach out to people when you need the help, because like you at the start, obviously you've come full circle because you were the opposite. You'd rather drag yourself past your friends to the hospital as your leg's going to be amputator, as your leg's dying, then ask for help. I'm the same, like I would rather I screen calls. I'm really guilty of it. If if my friends and I'm upset, they try and call me, I screen them, Like I don't want to ask for help. I don't want to bother anyone. But I think there's a really big lesson in it, and there's so much power in vulnerability. And I hope everyone listening has taken something from Camuine. I know you've taken a lot of it. But I hope you realize that if you are in a place of struggle, the best thing you can do is reach out to somebody, anybody. It might be a stranger, it might be a family member, might be a friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think connection's so important, for sure, and I'm so fortunate in that I've had people that have always had my back, for sure, but also the ones that have the really hard conversations with me, like I'm not going to come pick you up from rehab, or you need to be better than this. If I was turning to drinking, Not that I did that a lot or anything, but you know, back in the day, if I'd have too many drinks because I was trying to cope or something like that. If I be like, no, I'm calling you on your bullshit. Stop that you're better than this, kicking to gear, go get the help that you need, or whatever it is that you need to do, and those conversations that are vitally important when you're in a struggle in that you know you need to sometime be called on your bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean hard love and soft love at the same time. If somebody wants to get involved in the Kindness Factory. If somebody wants to be able to spread this as far and as wide as it can go, how can you know someone tap into the Kindness Factory. How can we be a part of it?
Speaker 2: It's so easy. It's not an exclusive club, Bony tread I mean the T shirt.
Speaker 1: I mean, Kath is sitting here wearing the T shirt right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just go onto our websites Kindness Factory dot com and you can long an act and that's how you can immediately And that's not for us. That's more like see someone help them or share the story of when someone's helped you from a kindness perspective and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like when I went on that journey, I then sort of ended up traveling the world because everyone to hear my story. And I'm not a fantastic figure. I've just got an interesting story to tell. And so that kept happening. I got quite busy, which was great. Quit my job did all that. But the Kindness Factory now is a charitable organization. It's now registering three countries, which I never really sit back and go I'm really proud of this, but I am. I landed myself in New York at this really high powered executive's office, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, God, was it the Obama's again? Did you figure this one out? Not this time?
Speaker 2: But it was like the head of his major company, like probably one of the world's biggest companies. And I've been paid to be there. I've got flowing business class again, so that would have cost some upwards of thirty grand to get me there, right, And it's not about money or anything, but I'm like I get there and I was like, where should I set up for this talk? And they were like, no, what talk? And I'm like, well, You've paid for a speaking engagement. They're like, well, yeah, it's just with our you know, the guy that owns the company.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, one on one.
Speaker 2: So I was like sat in this office literally just doing this, having a conversation with this guy and he's asking me questions and I was like and I walk out and I'm like, well, what's am I We going to an amphitheater to do with the stuff? Talk? Like what's going on?
Speaker 1: Like I don't know if you know, but I speak to the Obamas. Where is the ground? I headline, I'm Michelle Obama And they were like, you're done, Like you literally, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, I've just float like thankfully I had other things to do.
Speaker 1: And I was like what, So can I just say it seems to be a recurring thing that you don't know what you're doing when you get to the who am I speaking to? What am I doing? And I was like, hello, Katy, You're like I'm there. No one seem to a run.
Speaker 2: Scheet for this still again, like back then, I didn't have like an assistant and all that. Like my chairman now, the chairman of the charity. He's he's quite well known in the business world and he rings me sometimes I'm overseas and he's like, what have you got on today? And I'm like, oh, he loves this story because he's like, you're in such a fool but this is why I love working with you. I was like, I've got a meeting with this company and he's like who is it? And I was like JP something and he's just like what And I was like, I don't know. I think it's a bank or and he's like I was like JP, and he's like JP Morgan Chase and I was like, yeah, he goes cat that's He's like fucking He.
Speaker 1: Like, mate, you don't pay me, but yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: So I'm having all these moments where I was like zero idea what I was doing. But I was like, when I walked out of that meeting, I was like, this is not why I pursued this, not to sit in a one on one meeting with a really wealthy man. I was like, I was a little bit ashamed of myself, and I was like, well, what do I want? It Like, I felt quite lost in the journey. So I was like, well what do I want? And I was like, I just want more kindness in the world. And so I was like, I need to approach kids. I need to get in front of kids and start this generational change of kindness. So the factory he's got like the log and you, adults and kids alike can get engaged with that, and we're about to roll out corporate programs in kindness and all that kind of stuff. Whi's been fantastic with some great organizations around that. But I went into all these school environments and people became very aware very quickly that I was doing it for free and all that kind of stuff. So I had this like backlog of six hundred schools. I was like, I'm never going to get to that many. And COVID struck and all these teachers were reaching out and I alert things from going into those school environments. And the first is that kids want to be kind. No one's born unkind, Like we all want to be kind, right, That's why I'm like, this should just be motoring on by itself, because we all are naturally inclined to be kind.
Speaker 1: And get them while they're young. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Sometimes adversity happens, or life experience or societal pressures, and when you see three year olds playing with they don't care what color skin you've got, or religion you are into and all that, so it creeps out of us somewhere along the way. So I was like, we need to get to one as early as possible. And yeah, every time I go into a school, the teachers will go, what can you leave us with? We've got access to these kids every day, like you can't come back tomorrow and foot we'd love you too, but you can't. And I was like, yeah, okay, that's true. And in a very reactive way, teachers would reach out and they say, look, can you come to our school because we actually lost a student to suicide. And it's of course I can, I'll drop everything and do it. But why does it take the loss of a student for you to pick up the phone like this is ridiculous. So I ends up sharing this predicament with Kaplan, who are an education provider, a global one, and they were very inspired by what I was trying to do, and so I said, look, I want to create a kindness curriculum that can go into schools, and so we ended up creating that and during COVID we launched it into sixty schools in Australia and it's now in congrats that's huge. Yeah, it's in three thousand now in Australia all around Australia, which has been fantastic, all online, which teaches the basic principles of kindness, so like things like perspective and attitude and positivity and empathy and all those sorts of things. And it's about to be launched into the US on well kind of stay this year and then the UK beyond that. And I feel like this journey now is one that I'm no longer in control of which I'm completely comfortable with I think the sky is the limit in terms of all that kind of stuff. But I guess is a really long way of me answering, how do people become involved? Please just be kind? Yeah, but we will. Yeah, it would be really silly not to mention that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Kindness Day, as I mentioned, is the thirteenth of November, so this year, this week, this week, so it's this Saturday, thirteenth of November. And this year, I mean, the last two years we've broken world records for most sacks of kindness on platforms and all that kind of stuff. And this year, I guess the give back has almost been that we recognize it the power and the importance of kindness throughout COVID and as we re emerge, which want as many people to continue that for us. And so we know that, you know, the stats are overwhelmingly positive, positively lent towards kindness. So yeah, we're encouraging people are a QR code or we're calling it a KR code to scam that and you'll get prescribed and active kindness that you can do this Saturday.
Speaker 1: Oh so it'll tell you like buy a coffee for a friend or for a stranger or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll absolutely so. Yeah. So yeah, if you want to share the QR code, any listeners, please get amongst that on any platforms.
Speaker 1: We will put the QR code on our Instagram as well, so you guys can find it very easily. And if you want to partake in a random active kindness and world kind of stay, which we think you all should do not if you want to, I'm just going to call it out now. Let's we're all going to do it. Every person that is listening to this episode now on World Kindness Day or even today. It doesn't have to wait for the day. I want you to go out and do something kind, buy someone a coffee, give someone a compliment, do something for no reason, and like, don't pretend to do it, because we'll know you guys have got to go and do it. I'm going to go do it. We're going to start a thread on the Facebook group as well, which if you are not following, it's life on cut Discretion group, and then that way we can keep track of what you guys are doing as well. So I am just like, thank you, I cannot thank you enough for coming here today. I am I mean, I knew your story obviously because we got you on the podcast, We've researched it, but nothing could have prepared me for what you just told me. I'm I'm blown away and how far you have come and how positive you are. You are an absolute inspiration to I'm sure everybody that comes across you, and I know I'm leaving I'm one hundred leaving a better person from this interview today, So I couldn't ask for more.
Speaker 2: Ah, guys, there's been my pleasure. I've loved it. It's been great.
Speaker 1: Can you tell everyone where they can find you? So for anyone looking for it, it's your candles, your handles on Instagram, the website. Let us know where they can find you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so me personally, it's just Cath kocil, so koshl and kat H's Cath. I think it's like Facebook. I'm not again, just not really driven by socials but on them. And then obviously Kindness Factory is just at Kindness Factory or one word all that kind of stuff, but or Kindnessfactory dot com is the website for the most important part of logging your act as well, of course, but.
Speaker 1: We will link. We'll put all CA's details and everything will be in the show notes if you guys want to go and track it down and share your active kindness. Thank you so much much of being a part of the podcast. Kat, We absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: Nah me too. It's been awesome.
Speaker 1: We never end an episode without our sucking, our sweet, our highlight and our lowlight. The best and the worst of the week, Laura, do you want to kick it off? What is your suck of the week? Okay, my suck of the week. Oh, you guys already know the suck of the week. The suck of the week was having a creepy man sitting in his car watching me taking photos of you taking photos of me. And if you're that creepy man and you listen to Life Fung, don't shame on you taking photos of someone's family. Honestly, that was my suck. I was so excited about the house. If I knew someone was going to take photos of me, I would have brushed my hair and yeah, I just didn't want that to be plasted all over the news. But anyway, that's that was a suck. The sweet, though, was really really amazing. So when I was in Byron, this woman named Sammy reached out to me on Instagram. She is a lifer. This is also a sweet and a recommendation.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: She has a business called the Candid Files, and she takes photos of kids, like she takes beautiful family photos. And she reached out and was like, oh, you know, while you're in Byron, would you like to come and have some photos taken. I did not expect them to be as crazy amazing as what they are. I've seen them. They're pretty amazing. And I know that Samy's going to be listening to this because she is a lifer. So if you guys, if you're going to Byron and you have kids and you want to get some beautiful family photos taken, She's got a gorgeous little studio in the industrial estate. I'm going to put some of them on my Instagram because I'm just so in love with them. But honestly, it was just one of those moments where one I got to meet someone who was part of our community, and two I was like wow, like they're actually really beautiful, so talented, and it's so incredible to have stunning photos of your kids, like to be able to hold onto those memories, and yeah, I got them last night. And I was going through them and I was like, God, my kids are beautiful, sending them to everyone who's like, we don't care as much as you do, but they're amazing. Okay, So does everybody have to use their investigative skills and find Sammy on their own? Or what is Sammy's handle?
Speaker 2: It is? I tell you hold on?
Speaker 1: Where where's my phone? Okay? For anyone who wants to know, or if you're going to Byron and you want to book her, it is the care ended files on Instagram. I like that name. Yeah, super cute. Look there's a photo of money. Cute Brittany. What is your suck? My suck and my suite are tied into the same thing, and I'll say my sweet first because that leads into the suck. I went back to Port Macquarie just for the weekend for a flying visit to see my parents and my brother, my niece and nephew. I haven't seen them in I don't think I've seen my parents in like seven or eight months, which is crazy. We speak all the time, but we haven't seen each other. So that was really really nice. My suck was driving back. I just didn't think it didn't even clock that this was the first weekend everyone was allowed to like travel out of the jurisdiction didn't even register. On the way back from probably what should have been a four hour trip, it took me like seven and a half hours. The traffic was backed up as long as I could see. The rain was torrential, to the point that I was like this, someone's gonna have an accident. You could see every three lanes were driving with their hazards on. You can only see two meters ahead of you. You know that traffic where you're like I can't even pull. I can't even see where I could pull ouse you're three lanes deep. You just have to crawl at like twenty thirty kilometers. So that was my suck, And yeah, that was it. Otherwise as a really uneventful, just like a really wholesome family weekend away. What an anticlimactic way of finishing off. We've been a really special couple of days. Though, I was like, this is fuck, this is cool, Like every body in Australia just wants everybody in New South Wales just wants to get out and see the world out. But it did mean that everyone in New South Wales was out with their family. So that's really nice. All the silver lining, guys, we hope that you love the episode. Honestly, we really would love all of you all to take a little piece of this episode and go and do a random active kindness for someone this week. Go and log your random active kindness on Cat's website, which is the Kindness Factory. We'll put all the details in the show notes. And this is also just your friendly reminder to jump on and give if you thought about it at the beginning but then you didn't stop, this is your reminder to go and give us a vote in the People's Choice Award in the Australian Podcast Awards, which we'll also put those details in the show. Not speaking of like doing the deed. I thought you'd bring me a coffee today, but you didn't. Tomorrow, Lucky world kind of stays on the Saturday.
Speaker 3: That is it.
Speaker 1: We will see you again. Actually I was gonna say we'll see on Thursday for Ask on Cut. But on Wednesday tomorrow, guys, there is an episode, a little bonus episode. It has been a long time coming.
Speaker 2: It is my.
Speaker 1: Interview and I use the word interview loosely. It's my chat with I don't even know if I love it, but yeah, with the other half, Jordan. You guys have wanted an episode to meet Jordan, see what all the fuss is about, just find out a little bit more about him. I want to say, reluctantly did the podcast. He was excited to do it for me because he makes it happy. But as you're here, he is. He doesn't love interviews. He did his best. He was great. But I hope you guys love him. I hope you learned something from him, and I just hope you I don't know's I feel like I'm sharing a bit of my life that I haven't really shared with you guys before. I think for Laura and Matt. Matt's always on the pod. He's such a public figure, and Jordan is a public figure, but he's not big on socials. He doesn't share a lot of his life, so everything that he's sharing now is really really big for him. So yeah, I'm excited for you guys to hear it. That's dropping tomorrow if you're interested. I love that you did this episode. I love that you're able to give a little bit of an insight into your relationship to our listeners. Because like you said, you know, Matt is just like he is a like an old piece of furniture on this podcast now, and like this is something that's part of Matt's world. Whereas for Jordan, I think it's really special that he put himself out of his comfort zone to be able to do a podcast because it's not something that he felt comfortable doing, and it is something that required a little bit of positive coercion from Britney. I'd give him a reward. He was like a dog. You gave him a blowy afterwards. Anyway, guys, that is it from us. If you love the episode, please jump on Apple Podcast leave a review. If you feel like this is an episode that could touch someone or you know, positively affect someone's day, please share the episode. Tell your mum, to your dad, tell your sister, your brother, your friends, your cousin, your dog, and just tell everyone and share the love.
Speaker 3: Because we love the boy, then the Company, then the Bay, the BA