Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Matt Trolo, a writer for oz open dot com, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Viv Christie, managing editor of Australian tennis magazine.
Speaker 1: Good to see.
Speaker 3: Viv.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us why we're sitting down with Mira Andreva this week?
Speaker 2: Well, I was lucky enough to sit down with Mira at Wimbledon when I was there a few weeks ago. And yeah, Mira is a great personality, as we know on the women's tour. You know, she brings a lot of fighting spirit, big stage personality to all of her matches. And yeah, she's just really one for us to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: Good timing this week because she's just won an Olympic silver medal with Diana Schnader in the women's doubles in Paris, and also that was hot off the heels of her first wto title.
Speaker 2: Mira, thank you for your time today. It's great to have you as a guest on the sit Down. I wonder if you could start by sharing with our listeners how you had your start in tennis.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I started playing tennis when I was six years old, but I spent like three years before in the tennis court because my older sister she started playing as well. She was she started when she was around five, and so yeah, since I'm three years old, I've been spending some time on a tennis court. But I wish I would have started earlier. But I remember that I couldn't hold a racket in my hand. It was too heavy and it would just keep falling down. So yeah, I started when I was six. I started in Siberia, in Krasnoyarsk, is the city where we come from, and yeah, that's basically it. After we moved to south of Russia the city named Sochi, and since then we lived there for five six years and after now we live in Khan for I don't know, almost three years now.
Speaker 2: Already you started with when you was six, as you say, and now you're seventeen, so that's barely ten years. And in that time you've had wins over top ten opponents, including your idol on Jibba, and reach the semifinals at Rollandaros. Does it ever feel like a bit of a dream?
Speaker 3: At first, it did, and it still feels like a dream, of course, because I've been watching these tournaments when I was a kid on a TV having my breakfast before I would go to school. So of course it feels like a dream to me to be here and play all these tournaments. But now I already get used to this a little bit. I start to feel the atmosphere more, and I start to kind of feel like I start to belong here. It's not like I'm new anymore and like new surprise or something. And yeah, that felt like a dream. But now I get used to this a little bit more, and it just feels like my life.
Speaker 2: Now you're joining us at when Wooden, where you reached the fourth round last year as a qualifier. How have you changed as both a player and as a person since then.
Speaker 3: Let's say as a player, I changed. I think I became more aggressive and I know what I want on court. It's not like I just go there and play and try to enjoy and just win as many games as I can. Just now I go and I know what I want and I know what I also need if I can say need. So yeah, I think that as a player I became more kind of a straightforward and I feel like this not helps me, but this is a bit of next level for me, a bit of an upgrade, yea. And as a person, yeah, a bit more mature, as I said once and just and that's it. Actually, I'm still the same as I was last year, just maybe a bit more, yeah, mature, and I don't say some crazy stuff anymore, but still the same old mirror in.
Speaker 2: Your upgrade as a player as you call it. You reached the semi finals of Roland Garross. You had wins there over Victoria Azarenka and Arena Sablenka. How do you look back on that experience.
Speaker 3: Of course, looking back to that, it feels amazing, especially if we start with the second round match against Azarenka.
Speaker 4: A little thriller there.
Speaker 3: I knew, I mean, Grand Slam champion, she has won a lot of tournaments, she has a lot of experience, and I just went on court and I was like, well, Mirror, you gotta do your best to to beat her. And I felt like I did more than my best and it was an amazing match. We finished at one am. It was the latest finish of my career, and looking back to that, I'm really really really happy about that, and that much I think I'm gonna remember it for a very very long time, and of course much against Saballenka was also.
Speaker 4: Kind of a thriller for me.
Speaker 3: But unfortunately I didn't really have time to enjoy the moment when I was in Paris because we finished pretty late, and then next day I had a semi final to play, so I didn't really have time to enjoy the moment there. But after I took some time to just realize and understand what happened. But yet now it doesn't seem to me like a surprise. I mean, of course it was a tough match. She had some I don't know, trouble with something, probably her stomach, and it was hard for me to play because she called the physio a few times and it's always hard to keep your focus on a game. So yeah, I'm just happy about that win, and uh yeah, happy about everything that I did during French Open.
Speaker 2: And you're a very artistic and creative player. You're known for being very intelligent on court. That draws a lot of comparisons with Martina Hingis. How do you feel when you're compared to Martina Hingers?
Speaker 3: Well, I like that it's not a bad comparison, not a bad compaiment comparison.
Speaker 4: In comparison. Yes, okay, so yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that people see a bit of a same kind of game between us, because I when I was younger, I wanted to play like her because I felt like we have a pretty much same a game style. But she was kind of more aggressive and me me, I would like play the point and build the point until the last moment on the baseline until the girl is dead there running and me I would just finish the point. And her, I feel like she she goes for it and she tries to finish the ball at the net, and she's more aggressive. But yeah, it's it's really nice that people compare us and they say some stuff they see the same game style, and yeah that I like that. It's not bad, you know, if people compare it to a Grand Slam champion.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's it's nice to hear.
Speaker 2: It's thirty years since your coach Conchitta man one Wood, and what has she told you about that time? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, uh, first, of course, she's she's having a bit of a flashbacks this trip, and yeah, we've talked a little bit about that, and I watched the final with her, she said, so I put on the video from YouTube her final against Nevartilova, and she's like, no, no, don't watch this, this moment start from this score in the second set. I was like, uh, huh, okay, And of course I put the moment that she didn't want on purpose. But yeah, she of course tells me about the way she played, but I feel like she doesn't really like to talk about it because maybe she doesn't want to feel old confer to me. I don't know, but yeah, sometimes I just ask her how did it feel like?
Speaker 4: And what did you do there? And what did you do then?
Speaker 3: And yeah, she shares some experience and emotions with me, and it's really really nice to hear what she was going through that time. And yeah, she's gonna play Legends Mixed doubles, and she said, don't you ever come to my match. I was like, why, but I want to support you. She's like, no, I don't want to see you there. And so it'll be on a second week. I hope I'm still gonna be here, and I have a plan. I'm gonna prepare a piece of paper, a huge piece of paper. I will write con Chita Martinez, let's go, and I will go to her match and I will waive this piece of paper that's like that she can see me and I will be her number one fan. So yeah, that will be nice if we're still gonna be here.
Speaker 2: That speaks a lot about the strength of your relationship. Yeah, you've reached the second week of the Istra and open when and Roland garross every Grand Slam surface, which one do you must love to play on?
Speaker 3: Well, that's actually a really hard question. Before I would say clay right away, but now I when I play on hardcourt, I miss clay court so much. But when I play on clay court, I want to go back on hardcourt because yeah, just like the sound when somebody plays on hard court. But when I play on on heart or on clay, I want to go on grass because I really like the sound when the people play and when they move on court. It's so soft and it actually depends But yeah, I don't even have a favorite service actually, because it also depends on on a time and on how I feel. So yeah, it's a really complicated question for me, but I would say that I love them all.
Speaker 2: Are you still studying and do you still hide chemistry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I still study, but now luckily we have summer holidays at school. Yeah, and I still don't really like chemistry because well that's really hard for me to understand and I don't really have time to really go into it. But yeah, probably when after I don't know, maybe when I finished career, I will be like forty forty three. Maybe then I will have a wish and desire to go and study chemistry, but I don't think so. So yeah, I'm still studying and luckily I don't have to do anything now anymore.
Speaker 2: When we talked earlier in the year at Brisbane and you were reading Gone with the Wind at the time, I'm.
Speaker 3: Reading second part, Yes, don't tell me what's going to happen. But yeah, I enjoy reading sometimes. It really helps me to put some nervous moments aside and to focus. And I when I read, I have I think I have a pretty good imagination, So when I read, I have like pictures and everything in my head, and I imagine that I'm there and I'm reading and just looking at them kind of like I'm with them. So yes, I sometimes I really like to read. And this is a very very good book and I really like it, So yes, hopefully I can finish it soon.
Speaker 2: You've achieved such a lot in such a short amount of time. What's what's your tennis dream?
Speaker 3: Well, of course, I think if you ask every tennis player, they will say that their tennis dream probably to be number one and to win ALAM or to win Olympics. But me, I would say that after I finished my career, I just want to be remembered for a very very long time, and I want to be remembered as a champion and as a player who never never give up, as a player who people look up to. And I would say that this is one of my dreams that I really want to accomplish and I really want them to happen.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, it was such a pleasure to catch up with Mira at Wimwood, and she is such a wise head on young shoulders. It's hard to believe that she only turns seventeen in April, and you know, we see that in her tennis and in her results. But at the same time, it's really refreshing that she's such a you know, still a teenager who you know, studies, enjoys life, reads in her spare time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, it was really cool to hear how excited she was or grateful to have the time with you, how she thanked you at the beginning of the interview, and then she just does have like a unique perspective. It's that kind of curious, wide eyed, but also, as you said, mature for someone who's seventeen. It's just her answers are quite unique in tennis media. When I listen to her speak, there's something really refreshing about them, So I enjoyed that a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a lot of fun to do that, and she also has a real gratitude as well, so it's really lovely to see.
Speaker 1: And on that note, you can join us again next week for another episode of the sit Down on Monday, but if you'd like to hear more from me, I'll actually be back on Thursday, hosting in place of John for aoshow weekly.
Speaker 2: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please remember to subscribe, rate, and review. See you next week, Matt
Speaker 1: See you then view