Speaker 1: Welcome to laud the podcast. I'm Lex Lasry, I'm Greg Barnes and Greg We last weekend did the first podcast in front of an audience at the tell Type Winery at Mansfield and I don't know about you, well, I do know about you, but for myself, I had a great time.
Speaker 2: I thought it was fantastic. It's firstly, it's fantastic winery, great building and magnificent wines. Secondly, and equally, it was a terrific crowd, I mean, interesting bunch of people and enthusiastic and of course Australian's True crime podcast. Michelle is also an extraordinary stand up comedian.
Speaker 1: That's right, And as musicians would say, she opened for us, and she opened for it was a great privilege because she was fantastic, she was brilliant.
Speaker 2: But we will go anywhere, anytime, any day, and now we've got.
Speaker 1: To be careful what we wish for. Yes, that's right. But there's an email address in the link to this podcast, so if you're interested in having us in your region to do a podcast in front of an audience, we're happy to take part.
Speaker 2: The first one we'll get us from Port Headlin Western Australia.
Speaker 1: Well, we could do that, we could do that. We don't mut No, we can go back to Darwin. I could go back to Darwen. Well, I wash all the juges I used to. No, we're not doing one at Hobart on board with it? Yeah, okay, I didn't say that. No, this is what might be described by Alistair Campbell and RORYS Stewart as an emergency episode. Normally our episodes come out on a Wednesday, first thing in the morning. It's at about four am I've noticed, by the way. But we're doing this one because there are some issues that we want to talk about which are particularly topical. So let's get into it.
Speaker 2: So, just for the listeners, that proposed Royal Commission into the Big Build is into allegations of corruption which have been primarily driven by a huge number of news stories in the Age or the nine newspapers, but elsewhere as well, over probably more than twelve months now, and so that is the purpose of the Royal Commission, not into you know, should we have built this or built that?
Speaker 1: But I know one thing that irritates you and irritates me a bit as well, is that the opposition have said if in government and controlling the Royal Commission. There's a list of what they describe as twenty five non negotiable witnesses that have to be called. So it seems to me, just putting it in relatively neutral terms, that they're getting way ahead of themselves, because in a royal commission, you don't decide who you're going to call, at least until you've got settle terms of reference and know what you're investigating well.
Speaker 2: And also you know lexis being very modest, but you have, of course extensive experience with royal commissions. You ran one yourself in Victoria in relation to an ambulance contract I think twenty odd years ago. You're involved in the famous Costic and Royal Commission. We've talked about this in the past. My understanding is it's a matter for the Royal Commissioner and his or her or their council assisting to determine who's going to be called.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, and there's a I mean, when you start a Royal commission, the first thing you do is issues su poenis and get documents work out by reference to the terms of reference, what the issues are that you're going to have to investigate, and then as you analyze the material, you decide who you're going to need to hear from in the witness box. Yeah, that's how the witness list is developed. This sort of smacks of it's sort of a bit like manatory sentencing. It's saying, we don't really trust the commissioner to make his own or her own decisions about witnesses, so we're going to have a list we want, you know, Jess Wilson saying we want these particular people publicly flogged for our own political advantage. Yes, I mean that's what she's saying. I mean, it's really outrageous, but it's fairly typical.
Speaker 2: Of politicians these days, the lack of respect for the independence of the judiciary and Royal commissioners are independent.
Speaker 1: Royal commissioner will almost certainly be either a serving or acting or retired judge.
Speaker 2: Yeah what about you, Lex, No, I'm not available, and we've got to put the podcast first.
Speaker 1: I've just got a feeling I wouldn't be high on anyone's list.
Speaker 2: Well, that could be a compliment, Yeah it is, I mean it should have been. I don't know why Jacinda Allen didn't say, let's do it months ago because I didn't think it was that big an issue for a while. I know you and I have talked about this. I mean it was in the age and Nick McKenzie, who's a fantastic journalist, was running at hard but I didn't think it was really resonating.
Speaker 1: But I think over time.
Speaker 2: What happens with those stories is that people started They might know the details, but they just think something's wrong. And there was a lot of momentum around it, and Ben Carroll did the right thing in my view.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Huge fan of royal commissions, but I think he.
Speaker 1: Had to do it, and look, it might well be worthwhile, but I just think you've got to let the process develop according to the direction of the Royal Commissioner. And as you say, I've counseled assisting.
Speaker 2: I thought that or well, now, what a week since he announced it, I thought he might have moved to had some names in mind and got it set up.
Speaker 1: How long.
Speaker 2: Normally after the announcement of a royal commission, is a commissioner appointed and what's the process for appointment lex I mean, does the Attorney General ring around or yeah.
Speaker 1: There'd be a list of names I mean, I hear gossip, you probably do tell I'm not going to say, am I on the list. I've got bad news for you. If it's bad news, it's good news because I want to keep doing the podcast. I was thinking about how I was going to do the podcast and be a Royal Commissioner at the same time. I've heard two or three names that I presume are on the A Teeney General.
Speaker 2: When we next, when we get out of this studio, I'll tell you, and you can tell Matthew. Yeah, but don't just keep it between you.
Speaker 1: Don't wear a while while I'm talking to you. I look, the sooner someone is appointed, the better because that person, once they've got their letters patent in terms of reference, then they can so how much does it usually take to Oh, I can take only a few days. Yeah, I mean the government could decide now if they've got someone they favor for the job, and I gather they have, and.
Speaker 2: Then as I understand that the council assisting role, it's generally the Royal Commissioner says, I want excess council assisting.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what happens. Yeah, sometimes this listen to General insist that someone that they favor be placed in that role. But interesting, Yes, that's interesting, isn't it. And what happens wind doesn't always work out, but normally the Commissioner will get to choose council assisting and bring them on board quickly because plans have to be made. I mean, this is a Royal commission Again, we talked about this recently, but they really are gained to need to get on with it. I mean a big bill is huge. It's huge, massive amount.
Speaker 2: Of years of years of material one assumes. Yeah, I mean a gig of the subpoenas going to the department, to the government, to the union, to the builders politicians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 2: Know Nick mackenzie and the age will get drawn in no doubt, not because they've done anything wrong. Nick is a friend of mine and I think without them you wouldn't have these revelations. But sometimes journalists get dragged in about where they you know, sources, etc. And you know it's going to be very complex. But I really hope, for the sake of responsible politics and responsible administration of the justice system that the opposition, once the Royal Commissioner is appointed, just shut up.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is, we're not that far away from the election. So yeah, the question is will the government feel free to go ahead and make the arrangements for the Royal Commission now or do they see the caretaker period approaching and think, well, we really need the agreement of the opposition that because they could be the government.
Speaker 2: But what's the opposition going to do?
Speaker 1: Let's say they.
Speaker 2: Will have said what going to do? They've said, we've got a set of terms of reference that we want implemented, and we've got a list of want if you're running a Royal commission. Let's say you're running a Royal Commission, Lex and there's a change of government. A new attorney says, right, Lex, we've changed the terms of reference and we've got a bunch of people. We're going to tell you you've got a call.
Speaker 1: Can they do that? Well, they can? I mean a Royal commission. I might just say, I'm not copying that. A Royal Commission is the executive it is the exercise of the Royal prerogative. It's an instrument of executive government. So the new government, as I understand it, would be within their rights to do that.
Speaker 2: There was pressure on you. You you did the Costigan Royal Commission, which unless you're of a certain age, and I just assumed that most people who listened to this podcast are younger than me and certainly younger than you Lex yes lifetime, not as young as Matthew. My memory of that was that there was pressure on Costigan from the Hawk government to wind it up.
Speaker 1: Yes, while there was, and that was in the context of the inquiries that we were conducting in relation to Kerry Packer Goanna. Yes. The Costick and Royal Commission was a Royal commission established by the Fraser government in nineteen eighty. Frank Costigan was the Royal Commissioner and he was assisted by Douglas Maher later Douglas Mark you see Rex Wild and myself. I was only there for a part of the time. The Royal Commission was an inquiry into generally the activities of the Federated chip Painters and Dockers, who, apart from being a waterside union, were also a criminal organization. But it had in fairness, I mean Frank Costigan, who I was a lovely man whom I admired, he felt the pressure from the Hawk government and I think to some degree his relationship with Bob Hawk diminished as a result of the po he told me about it. I didn't know that well and he told me about it. It was really difficult, but we had been going for three years. I think that.
Speaker 2: But I think that, you know, just come back to your point. You talked to used a couple of technical terms we might need to explain. But a royal commission is not like it's not like a course, not like a court.
Speaker 1: That's what people see.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people think. They think you go to a royal commission and the Royal Commission says, you know that you've been a naughty boy naughty girl. That's equivalent to it being you know, you've found guilty and you should go to jail.
Speaker 1: I mean, and that's the way. That's what I've that's the.
Speaker 2: Problem with what Jess Wilson is doing. She's basically saying, this is a sort of star chamber stuff. You know, this is the inquisition. These are the people that you've got to go after their for their acts of you know, henas acts. I mean, it's appalling behavior I've never seen. I've never seen.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's been a lot.
Speaker 2: There are royal commissions every five minutes in this country, but I've never seen one where a political party's done that.
Speaker 1: Now, as far as I know, it's never happened. The terms of reference are not intended to include a to witnesses. Yeah, I think it's the opposition trying to ensure that a commissioner who's not in favor of a public realification of politicians can't avoid it because they'll be compelled to call the witnesses. Yeah. But I mean it's one thing to say these witnesses are got to be called, but when they get into the witness box and take the oath or affirmation, the question is what happens next. Yeah, you've got to have material to put to them, this stuff that they've got to be asked about which is relevant to the terms of reference, and if there's not, then they shouldn't be in the witness box.
Speaker 2: I gave evidence in the Royal Commission months. It was in Tasmania in ninety ninety four. I was chief of staff to Ray Groomer, great Melbourne football and former premier, and we were going to and in fact they did after I left, reduce the size of Parliament. Was a guy called Trevor Morling, who was a former Federal Court judge, judge, and so my evidence was pretty benign. He was asking what you know about the government's attitude and why would you reduce numbers? But even that, which was a pretty tame exercise, and you know, being a lawyer, I understood the witness box. But it's it's not an it's not a pleasant experience. And that was very benign, but just not a pleasant experience or anyone.
Speaker 1: The witness box is a very lonely, drafty place.
Speaker 2: And there's no anesthetic, not like owing to the dentists. And you can go to the dentist right and think, I wish I wasn't here like a witness box, but at least you get an anesthetic.
Speaker 1: There should be.
Speaker 2: There should be, like I think, I think there should be just a little packet of half valium, just a little cut in hard not just tissues, not just tissues, little valium. But a psychiatrist who said to me once this is off topic, that in her opinion, valium should be available in supermarkets. What did the boys light up? What did Australian crawl call it? A mother's little helper is coming out.
Speaker 1: It's coming out for more. As you know, the Iback report on Operation Richmond dropped yesterday.
Speaker 3: One of Victoria's most secretive and prolonged corruption investigations has finally revealed damning claims of serious and concerning conduct by former Premier Daniel Andrews and his government. Operation Richmond detailed extraordinary abuses of power from union leader Peter Marshall that was not only allowed but fostered by the Labor government.
Speaker 1: Just to deal with both sides of politics. I would have thought, my opinion is the conclusions they came to about particular the relationship between the Andrews government and the UFU, the United Firefighters Union and Peter Marshall was pretty concerning and a lot of people are saying, you now have an insight into what life under the Andrews government was really like because that's the way they did business.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, they wouldn't be the first government in Australia that's done business in that way, including governments that do business with corporates.
Speaker 1: But it's.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I think what was interesting about that was the extent to which was it. Peter Marshall, who was the Secretary of the Union, fought to keep it under wraps. Yes, for a long long time and it's probably not served them well because it's now comes out in the context of coming up to an election. But it does say something about how this this well the Andrews government did business. But as I say, I think that's one of the issues in Australia as a lack of transparency amongst governments in particularly. I mean we talk about it in the past, but it happens now. I mean, you know, I said, you know in Tasmania with this football stadium they want to build, and they're certainly not making any accusations of any nature, but you know, the process is hardly transparent. No, you know, I mean you've got a government that got told by every independent expert don't build it.
Speaker 1: It's a dud.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a suburban ru loop of Tasmania and the government just dismisses it all and you you know, again, it's just a complete lack of transparency around process and that seems to have happened here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think one of the difficulties was that Jane Garrett, who I think had the respect of most people.
Speaker 2: She was a former minister, she was the response.
Speaker 1: She died, Yes, she was sidelined by Andrews in these negotiations, and I think that's a really people are really upset about that. And I understand why. The thing about the whole Iback issue, which no doubt we'll talk to Robert Redlick about next week, is this definition of corrupt conduct. If you look at the Iback Act and look at the definition, you see a list of pieces of conduct that can amount to corrupt conduct, but only if they can be the basis of a criminal offense. And a lot of people say, Tony Wheeley says, Anthony Wheeley says, the level is too high. It can be lass different. You said, well, it's the KAC Act, the I Act.
Speaker 2: In New South they got my old political boss, Nick Grana, I think, unfairly.
Speaker 1: But that's a.
Speaker 2: Very as I understand it, a very broad definition doesn't require the establishment of a criminal offense before you can conclude that conduct was corrupt.
Speaker 1: I think that's the right approach. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's an interesting and it's it's a podcast for another day. That's interesting to look at all of these anti corruption commissions. I mean, the criticism of some of them. Tasmania is one, and I think South Australia. The other is that they're too secret. But on the other hand, people's reputations are trashed. I acted for a guy once once aware or in relation to what, but he had a very minor role, as he had a contract with a government entity and he had a minor role in this matter in the sense that and in fact he wasn't in any trouble at all. But you know, he was in the newspaper the next day because you'd given evidence and the government entity ring instead of were canceling your contract. I felt very sorry for him. It was just absolutely classic guilt by association. And I'm a bit troubled by anti corruption commissions and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's I think that issue has got to be well supervised by the commissioner whoever is hearing the evidence, to say, well, it's one thing to get someone into the witness box and make allegations where the allegation has become the story. It's another thing again to have assembled a lot of evidence that demonstrate that someone is corrupt or has committed an offense and have that put to them. I mean, I think the public are entitled to know when that's happened, but I agree with you. You do need to be very careful about trashing someone's reputation, and publicity of that kind can destroy a reputation incredibly quickly. You never recover from it. No, no, you never recover from it.
Speaker 2: I had a guy ring me a few years ago.
Speaker 1: I'd acted for him in a criminal matter. He had been convicted.
Speaker 2: He was then quitted on appeal, but if you googled him seven or eight years later, came up and he couldn't get government. It was after a couple of government contracts for his trade. And oh no, sorry, we saw this didn't matter that I wrote a letter saying, hang on, he was quitted.
Speaker 1: The damage was done. And following on from that you see the effect of the publicity in the Ralph Carr case. So, Ralph Carr is the man who has been found guilty of rape in a by a county court jury and had a suppression order on that trial for victoria. After his conviction, the judge has lifted that suppression order. And apart from talking about the merits of that will come to in a minute, but the volume of material that has been in the herald Stone of the age since that happened about him, and about things that had nothing to do with the rape, including that he wears a two pa yes and bearing the nickname the Rug.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But I mean, it just becomes and it just becomes vilifying, doesn't it. Yeah, I mean, I mean this is the problem. And newspapers and other forms of media often run these stories on the basis of this is what we can now tell you about this person. In other words, we would have we would have if we could have, yeah, which of course they never could have. Of course they couldn't. They couldn't have. That would have been a contempt at the court. That would have been something that would have prejudiced his prospect of a fair trial. So none of that material could have could have been led I noticed in the age today.
Speaker 2: So where what are we today? Thursday Thursday with psychiatrists Some psychiatrists quoted saying that, you know, it's sort of iffy science, if you like to, for a psychiatrists to opine that a person who's charged with the criminal offense would kill themselves if their name was mentioned.
Speaker 1: I noticed that article too, mainly because you're quoted in the article. I forgot that I am quoted in the article. You should you should read it's.
Speaker 2: By Aaron Pearson, who's to get Aaron on one day because she's actually got a great deal of interest in suppression orders and she keeps her own data.
Speaker 1: Yes, but what do you think of that, lex?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know you would have granted suppression orders and not granted them over the years. If a psychiatrist came to court and said this person is a serious risk of self harm or suicide, how would that.
Speaker 1: Have I'd take a lot of convincing. I do believe in courts being open and I and I do think. I think the point that was being made in that article today was that estimating the prospects of someone trying to kill themselves is a pretty inexact science. You've got to have some pretty convincing evidence before you would say there is a clear, strong, identifiable risk of this person will take their own life if publicity is attracted to them because of this trial. I mean it's not I don't say it's not possible, but I think it's Did you ever have a case I can't think of evidence was lit. I think all the suppression orders that I can call, we're all aimed at making sure that someone got a fair trial, So they're all in advance of the jury trial. They were all designed to stop the dissemination of material that would prejudice someone's trial. I may have made orders in relation to someone's mental health, but I just can't recall whether it or not. I'd be pretty dubious, I must say. But anyhow, the judge in Ralph Carr's case made the order. He was obviously persuaded. And under the Open Courts Act, there's a particular section which is a pretty broad section, in the section eighteen, and it's the section under which all these orders are made, which is where the Act provides that the order is necessary to protect the safety of any person. So protect the safety of any person is pretty broad.
Speaker 2: It's pretty broad. And this is the Victorian.
Speaker 1: This is the Victorian. Yeah, yeah, I noticed in the.
Speaker 2: And again we're not traversing any of the territory. I'm just going on what was reported yesterday in the end Allan Jones case in New South Wales. I think there was a non publication order in relation to evidence questioning questioning, Yes.
Speaker 1: The questioning that the Council for the accused was putting to the complainant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would be the reason in a court proceeding why there might be a non publication order in relation to some evidence or a witness.
Speaker 1: Well, ordinarily in a situation like that, such an order would be made, probably for the protection of the witness or to avoid embarrassing the witness. The sort of approach I used to take. I took in the trial of Matthew Johnson when he murdered Carl Williams in Barwin prison. We had a video of the killing. It was all one so the whole the jury saw the entire event, which was awful. And if you ever remembered seeing publicity about this case, you'll remember seeing a photo of Matthew Johnson looking like a baseball player holding the bicycle seat post in his hands, about to strike Williams. And the media wanted the video and I just said, there is no public benefit in this is grotesque. There's no public benefit in people seeing that, and I just never released it. Yeah, so the best they got was that photo. Yeah, Now that wasn't being secretive, but there are some things that are just well, we had it.
Speaker 2: I appeared in what I think gets known as the Melbourne terrorism trial almost twenty years ago now with a bunch of people accused of terrorism offenses. I'm convicted, I'm not, but in that there was a a and I will never forget seeing it, a particular video of a particular form of torture which I won't go into. And Justice broon Journer, I think rightly said look, that's got to be it's got to be edited because it was just so horrific. And I think his main concern, I think it was right, was the impact on a jury. You know, I've trained people like us who can try and put it aside. You know, you know you've got a job as a school teacher or a social worker, or you're a retiree and suddenly you're confronted.
Speaker 1: With these images. I think you're absolutely right about that, and I've done it recently, and Darwen I did it many times over the murder trials that I sat on as a judge. You know there are photos coming. You know that there are photographs taken on the post mortem of the deceased that the prosecution are going to want to produce. I think by and large prosecutors are pretty responsible. Only they only choose the ones that they really need to rely on. But you know there are times when the cause of death is an issue and the jury need to see them, and judges give this direction to juries, which I've always felt was pretty lame because it can't solve the problem, saying to the jury, look later in this trial, you are going to see some photographs the like of which you probably never before. You need to prepare yourselves for the trauma. I've seeing, for example, the inside of somebody's head. And I will tell you when this material is coming, but be ready for it. I think, as I'm saying those things, you know what use is that. But at least they know it's going they can sort of prepare themselves to some degree. But it's and you look at the jury when the photographs are produced and the looks on their faces, and it's horrifying. Yeah, and the stuff is We've become a newer to it, but it is horrifying. Yeah, no doubt. Now I want to change tech just to something that has become a bit dear to my heart, although I'm not totally across the detail. So there's a barrister in the UK whose name is Raj I've men on case he was defending I suppose a pro Palestinian demonstrator at some installation in the United Kingdom of organization that is alleged to be supplying military armaments or military materials to Israel. She was one of a number of people charged with criminal damage at the premises, and Rajiv Menon was her counsel on the trial. Where As the trial was coming to a conclusion, the judge apparently made all sorts of orders about all directions as to what defense counsel could say to the jury and their final addresses. And it would seem that the barrister, concerned on one view, didn't comply with those directions and went to the jury telling them, among other things, about the principle of jury equity, for example, the juries are entitled to quit regardless of how strong the evidence is, and that they can prefer their own views to anything that the judge might say in the result. A bit like happened in Lewis and Ogden. That's a case that you might remember. The judge took the view that the barrister had committed a contempt and endeavored to either deal with the barrister summarily or refer it off to another judge to deal with it. Summarily an appeal is now outstanding. In fact, an appeal has been heard and a stay imposed until the Appeal Court confinedly determined how that matters to be disposed of. Lewis and Ogden was a case decided by the High Court in the early nineteen eighty about the Collingwood jump. About the Collingwood jumper, Tony Lewis told the jury in the course of his final address that you might think that a judge is in the nature of a football umpire. Not so. And you know, how would you feel if you suddenly saw an umpire in the game that you were watching wearing a Collingwood jump. Well, he picked the right team to pick up. He did. Harry Ogden, who was the trial judge, got very cross and dealt with, or attempted to deal with Tony Lewis for contempt. It went all the way to the High Court and the High Court. Lewis won. He won. He won. An important thing about it was that the High Court made some observations about when you can deal with someone for contempt summarily, that is on the spot and really only in circumstances where the security of the court needs to be protected. By doing so otherwise, as in this case. I think this barrister in England is making the same point that if you think I contempted a case, committed a contempt, you should you should refer it off to be assessed by somebody else. Yeah, the DPP it's a disgraceful case and the UK Criminal Barrow Association are very upset about it. And I think the whole idea, unless it's absolutely clear that a barrister can be dealt with the contempt for what he says in a foreignal address to a jury in a criminal trial, is horrible.
Speaker 2: I mean, a judge, the judge, anyone who said on the dury notes, the judge talks to you last and can correct it. You know, mister Smith said this to you. Well, I didn't need to tell you that. You know that's not right. But I think that's an apport in case. It's not the only one over there. Of course, you've had those shocking jail sentences handed out to members of the Palestinian Action Group, you know, five and six years.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've got to wrap it up.
Speaker 2: But there was this week talking about that issue of Palestine and I've just had it sent to me a German court, very high German court, so sort of equivalent to our Supreme Court ruling that a comparison between Nazi Germany and Israel's conduct is not hate speech in Germany, which is a very significant decision because the Germans, of course are acutely sensitive on this issue for obvious three ofsourse. And there's also that's odds with the definition of anti Semitis. Yeah, yeah, that's right, so we might come back to that. And also this week too, I think an academic at the University of Bristol who was expelled or sacked for Propealestine in remarks the universe. He won and in the university appealed and lost the appeal. So there are a couple of good freedom of speech issues coming up. And also of course Pauline Hanson losing any chance she had of appealing that decision against the Labor senator. Yeah, telling you to go back to Pakistan.
Speaker 1: Ye. Well, well, I'm hoping to get reel Camie Jones Casey, who's the current president of the Criminal Bar Association in the UK, on for a discussion about this case when the case has been finalized. So excellent something to look forward to all right, Greg le go Okay, see you soon. This episode was produced by Bravecasting Media, edited by Michael Tanker. Original music by Justin Humphries from Phoenix Sound Studios. This podcast is recorded on the lands of the Orangerie people of the Coolan Nation. We pay our respects to their elders, past, present and emerging. Thank you for listening. See you next week.