Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money. She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the mo the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today is Friday, my friends, which means it is time to get our little team together and celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community. Today, we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about how to put money aside for your children. And we're going to be unpacking something that you guys slid into our DMS about, which is who should be paying for contraception? Beck, how's your week been so far?
Speaker 3: So good?
Speaker 2: It's because we've been talking about the spicy topic of contraception and who should pay for it, right, Yeah, it's going to get real heated. I think I'm kind of scared. Actually, are you? Actually no, you're not, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Its goad of us, the ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, you're terrifying.
Speaker 3: We're all going to get canceled. Be heroes.
Speaker 2: You know what Beck's going to say. Beck's going to be like, be a same sex relationship. You don't have to have contraception, that's the question.
Speaker 4: I'm not even gay, you know, not even I don't want to pay for contraception, does anybody?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you just date women for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: And you know much money I've saved dollars so far? Zero?
Speaker 4: You saved nothing, saved nothing. But you know, we'll go back in time. I would have probably saved all of that money.
Speaker 2: You should have just started younger. Honestly, I want to say to all the kids these days, because it is.
Speaker 3: A choice, and I should have chosen to do that earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, absolutely, All right, let's move on because I feel like that is a very very steep, very slippery slow. That's true, Jess. Let's move over to your side of the table. How has your week been. It's been good.
Speaker 3: It's been warm and sunny, which I love. Been enjoying it. A little hot in the studio today.
Speaker 2: But maybe she had The air condition is broken in the studio today, So if we get a little bit delirious, guys, it's because it's thirty degrees outside and the air con is broken and Lucy keeps making farts. Yeah, I didn't want to say no, no, not Jess. We've been really excited this week because what did we do this week?
Speaker 3: We announced that two of our four international women's events have sold out.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe it, Like that's literally hundreds of people coming to hang out with us. And we announced late last week. I believe it was the gift bags.
Speaker 3: Yes, worth over three hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: It's wild and there are so many good things in it. I know we name dropped it last week, but I'm actually just so excited, and I keeped this is so bad. You guys are going to be so mad at me, or Rashee in particular is going to be mad at me. Who's in charge of our events. I keep promising gift bags to my friends that aren't tum me, so yeah, sorry about that.
Speaker 3: So we've sold out Melbourne and Perth. There are still very very few tickets left I believe in Brisbane and Sydney at time of recording. At the time of recording, so if you want to grab your tickets, head to the shoes on the money website. I don't know by the time this goes live if they even will be any left, because I really will.
Speaker 2: Link in the show notes anyway, and you can either buy tickets or you can see what you missed out on because you won't quick enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sorry, but we're so pummed. We can't wait to see you guys. It's only two weeks away. I am literally so excited. Let's move on, though, Let's talk about our community money wins. Jesse, you've round up the best ones of the week. What have you got for us? Let's start with one I have from sus who said money Win. Someone just down the road for me owns a coffee cut and was giving away arm and milk as he was changing brands, and I got a whole box for free.
Speaker 2: I'm a milk spano.
Speaker 3: Yeah, alternative milk shall set you back.
Speaker 2: Also, I'm a milk taste like dirt, so it should be it's gonna have milk, almond milk specifically, or as I like to call it, dirt water.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, people are gonna come for us my dirty nut water. My next win. It comes from Indiana who said money win. Shopping for groceries online this week really helped me to stay within my budget and having my flat eyes app open to track things that I could get money off or gain extra points for while I was shopping insured that I made the most of it. I feel like that's really smart because you are not getting sucked into that thing of like shopping when you're hungry.
Speaker 2: I do that all the time too, and I always lie to myself and say it'll be fine. It's not fine, victory. You didn't need two loads of bread just in past. It's just not what you needed just in case. What I wonder You know how sometimes you run out of the loaf of bread and you're like, oh, I wish I had a back up, And then I've recently been mining two loaves and putting.
Speaker 3: One in the freezer.
Speaker 2: Actually, all right, pretty smart. I am quite intelligent. Yeah, but you know what I don't buy when I'm grocery shopping. I'm in milk. That's fair, yeah, because it's dirty nut water.
Speaker 4: I don't even want to say everything I needed, which is me. I go in with a list and come out with gum and chocolate.
Speaker 2: Do you go in with a list? I feel like you'd be a planner.
Speaker 4: Oh that's nice. It's nice to know that I look like a planner, but you're not. Not really like I go in with a rough idea and I always come out with not what I need. You know, you let the grocery store tell you what you mean exactly. That's why I think that shopping online would be better, because you don't get trapped, you don't get sucked in by the pretty good exactly.
Speaker 3: My next money in this week comes from Jesse, who said money when I've almost completed a no spend a fortnight where I've only bought the essential food, petrol bills, et cetera, as I'm trying to not let lifestyle creep happen, and the money I've saved is going straight into my emergency fund.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that. Amazing and I feel like that's something that we could easily commit to, Like, Haybeck, can you maybe do two weeks of not spending? I feel like that's more achievable than in how people have like no spend months. Yeah, I feel like, to me, that's just a little bit too much, whereas I'd prefer to be like, all right, maybe for the next two months or three months, I'll just do like a week each month of no spend, or two weeks each month of no spend, because I don't feel like it's as restrictive and that could actually put you in a position of power and control.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a good one, one hundred percent. My next money win is from Sky who said money when asked for a price match on dog food at the pet store and save myself forty eight dollars, happy pooch, happy bank account.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Actually that's so good. Ice matching is underrated and I forget about it all the time. So this is my dog food story. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: The other day I walked into the pet store that is at the supermarket, which is like the one across which is like it's more expensive, but I was under a time Crunch and I with my husband Steve, and I said to him as we went in, I was like, oh, don't bother, Like that's way more expensive than you know pep bun, which is where we usually go, and the woman across the counter heard me. I was mortified because obviously I didn't think anyone was listening to a conversation I was having with Stas. But she was like, we can just price match it. What do you usually pay? And I was like wait what I completely forgot, But like she stepped up and was like, oh, we can just price match it. And I just looked it up on pep bun and she price matched it And now I love her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, saved us off the run around. How goods that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was very impressed. But also what a legend for like speaking, she didn't have to do that. I mean, she's still got the sales, so maybe she wins, but I feel like that was really kind. I love that for you.
Speaker 3: Next Morning in this week is from Lucy, who said I set up auto invest in Chasy's. It's a win because I don't have to think about it and I feel like it's a great way to get started in the app and We spoke about this really recently. We were talking about it. I believe in the episode right or was in the ad roll I can't remember, but about.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel like they mesh into one like we do these Cheersy's ads, but like I talk about Chaersias all the time. So which was which we don't know? We don't know, but we do know. You should use the codes OTM for a free tender is when you find out, oh.
Speaker 3: God, she's good.
Speaker 2: That was smooth.
Speaker 3: But water investing is so clever because the dollar cost averaging that you can get out of that, but also just taking that mental load off, which I know via someone with ADHD you're such a big fan of.
Speaker 2: It's not automated in my life. It's not going to happen. Yeah, I'm not going to happen. I'm optimistic about it, but it won't happen.
Speaker 3: I love that. Well done, Lucy. Last money whin that I have for this week is a cute one from Jasmine who said money win. I used flowers from my garden that my future hubby planted for me from seeds instead of buying some for my bridal shower. Coincidence that they bloomed in time and save me a trip to the florist.
Speaker 4: That's actually really side, really good. What is it like, hundreds of dollars? So excusive.
Speaker 2: I don't really want to talk about how much flowers costed in my wedding because I'm actually traumatized from it, Like I do feel like I have PTSD. I don't regret any of it. I don't regret one flower that I purchased, but I will not be sharing it because I am I'm ashamed of what I did.
Speaker 3: Well for future reference anybody getting married. I was going to say, a future reference for you, and I'm like, well, you're already married. That's not helpful, ahaha.
Speaker 2: Hopefully my wedding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, plant the flowers yourself. I feel like that's such a cute idea.
Speaker 2: I actually think that's really wholesome. All right, let's go to a really quick break because I want to dive straight into the money dilemma that we have straight after the break about whether or not you should put money aside for your kids. And we're going to be discussing the topic of who should be paying for contraception or Jess and I are going to discuss that X's gonna laugh from the sidelines or don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 3: This week's money dilemma is for the parents out there, or the parents to be potentially. I'm excited to hear about it.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Hi Victoria, my name's Caitlin. I'm thirty three years old and pregnant with my first baby. My husband and I would love to give babe head start in life and hand over some savings. We're looking at putting away maybe twenty dollars a week into a bank account and handing this over it when they turn eighteen, but we're not sure if this is the smartest move or if we should be investing in long term shares instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Congratulations Calen. That is so exciting.
Speaker 2: It is literally the best thing ever. I am obsessed with babies, so I'm very excited about this. But I also think it's a really relevant question because it's really about not necessarily the baby at question, but more than time, you've got to invest. So your baby's not going to be buying a car next week, Jess. They're probably going to want to wait until they're about eighteen. So let's use the timeframe of about twenty years as an example. Baitlyn, you said that you were thinking of just putting twenty dollars away each and every single week for your baby, which is really really exciting. If you do that over a period of twenty years, which is what I've just decided to work on, those regular deposits are worth thirty one thousand, two hundred dollars. That's pretty good, not too shabby. But there's a very big difference between investing and saving. And while there's a lot to take into consideration, like making sure that it adheres to your risk profile and it makes sense tax wise, we'll get into that in a hot second, I do think it's worthy of considering because if you're like, well, we're just going to save. Of course, your kid's going to be grateful to have thirty thousand dollars, But if you decided to invest instead of saving over the same period of time, instead of having thirty one thousand, two hundred dollars at an average return of about seven and a half percent, which you guys know I prefer to use. We know that the Australian share market over the last twenty years has done about nine percent, so that's quite conservative. At seven and a half percent, instead of thirty one thousand dollars, you're looking at one hundred and sixteen nine hundred and sixty seven dollars if we use swishy, if we use a really basic compound interest calculator. Now, obviously, if you're putting it in a savings account today, it's not going to look that sexy because term deposits aren't really a thing. There's no such thing at this point in time. Actually, i'll correct myself. There there is such thing as a quote high yield savings account these days, but it's really not that high yield. You're probably getting maximum of one percent, and on that one percent, you need to pay your marginal tax rate. So if your tax is at thirty seven percent or thirty seven and a half percent, you're losing thirty seven and a half cents for every dollar that you make in that because it is an income generating asset, right, and we pay tax on the money that we earn. And I think that's what people forget when they're like, oh, but it's earning one percent there, Yeah, you're paying tax on that. And in addition to that, we've got inflation, which we know is crazy right now, and so to be a really negative nelly if you saved instead of invested at this point in time, with inflation and how the world is working, you're actually going to go backwards in terms of what that dollar is worth. They always say a dollar is worth more today than it is tomorrow, which means there's a lot more power in today than just like leaving it somewhere until tomorrow to make a decision. So I think we really need to contextualize that. So investing is something I would consider because of the timeframe you have, and the longer timeframe that you have, the more power you've got when it comes to risk, right, because the more time you're investing for, the less risk you're taking on and we know that over a thirty year period in the Australian share market, if you stay invested for that long, there has not been an investor who's been exposed to the market for that period of time who has lost money. People who lose money during that period of time are the ones who get out or don't understand the share market or pull it out at a time that might not make financial sense. And I think we need to look at the bigger picture, right, So am I suggesting investing over saving? No, because that would be really irresponsible of me. But what I am doing is kind of saying, this is what option A looks like, this is what option BE looks like. But then, guys, the question often comes up around tax, right, because let's just play Devil's advocate for a hot second. If you have the cash to be putting money away each and every single week for your child or for a future child, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you're not on the lowest marginal tax rate, like you're not in that position, because if you are in that position in this current economy, I genuinely believe that you'd be pinching pennies a little bit more so we're going to assume that you have a higher tax bracket if not well done, because that's epic it fits into your budget. But if you're paying a higher marginal tax rate, you might start thinking, well, how do I make it a tax effective vehicle? Because obviously, if you have a higher marginal tax bracket, and let's just pretend it's thirty seven and a half percent, because that's the most average at this point in time, it's a lot of money to be quote losing, right, and it's not actually lost. We're paying tax for a very good reason, and we only pay tax on money we earn. So that's kind of sexy. But a lot of people will go, oh, if I have a daughter or I have a son, I want it to be in their name, and that can sometimes be really detrimental because if your child earns more than four hundred and seventeen dollars in one financial year, they'll actually be taxed at sixty six percent, which is way higher than any marginal tax rate for an adult here in Australia. And the reason they do that is not to shoot children in the feet, but it's actually to make sure that the wealthy people aren't using their kids as tax free vehicles to distribute income to and then get it out around about the way does that make sense? Because that used to happen and this is like kind of a block to make sure that that doesn't happen. So, if your child earns between four hundred and seventeen dollars and thirteen hundred and seven dollars, they'll be taxed at sixty six percent of excess over four hundred and sixteen dollars, And if they earn over thirteen hundred and seven dollars, they then get taxed at forty five percent of the entire amount of eligible income, which is a lot of money, right, And when it comes down to doing the maths, you go, oh, well, does that actually tax wise make sense to have it in my kids name, even though it sounds really nice. And that's where a conversation around the structure that you invest in comes up, and something that we haven't spoken a lot about on the podcast, but I think we should do a whole episode on is actually an investment bond. An investment bond is actually a tax effective solution for people in similar situations, and there are lots of different companies that do this. Again, it's a financial product, so you do need to make sure that it makes sense for you and it fits into your life, and maybe even talk to a financial advisor about setting it up. But essentially, an investment bond is designed to provide tax effective investment solutions and can actually help you give financial security to your children at a lower marginal tax rate that doesn't impact you each and every single year. And often an investment bond can be seen as something that's quite set and forget because to get that tax effective structure, you actually have to lock the money in for a minimum of ten years. Usually, so instead of having your thirty seven and a half percent tax rate, a cap of thirty percent on average is a place applied to an investment bond, which is obviously lower tax, and that bond can be allocated towards anything that you like for your child. So it could mean that once they turn eighteen, it goes to them, once they turn thirty, it could go to them. You could say is this for education? You could say this is for a future car or a future house. It could be literally anything. But the thing that a lot of financial advisors like with investment bonds is that they're super flexible, so obviously it can change the terms their tax effective and they still provide a really good range of investment opportunities and investment options within that. So I think it's one of those things that a lot of people don't know about. And if you've not heard of it and you're like, oh, I'm really interested in what other options exist for kids, maybe an investment bond is something that you could do a bit more research on.
Speaker 3: Sounds incredible and if you are more info. We did also do a full episode called setting Up Investments for Kids. It was a little while ago, but it's a really solid episode where you touched on it too, touch on investment bonds and a few other structures and bits and pieces there. So if you're wanting to know more, if you're wanting to set your kids up, that one, I listen.
Speaker 2: Sexy, very sexy question. But let's move on to something less sexy. Let's talk about contraception. I feel like it's a spicier topic than investing for kids and one that I think Jess and I are on the same page about. But I'd love to get your take on it back.
Speaker 3: So you don't invest in your contraception, you're going to have to be setting up investments for your dying.
Speaker 2: Its good point. Good point. Maybe maybe if you're like, I'm not paying for contraception, you need the first part of this episode for act. We are people of the people. We're just here to help you. But here's the community dilemma we got on our DMS this week. So it said, hey, girls, got a little bit of a tricky one. I've been single for quite a few years now, but now I have a partner and we've been together for around seven months. The time has come up for my ROD to be changed over. So I'm assuming she means contraceptive ROD to be changed over, and I'm thinking of asking my partner to contribute to the cost, especially now since not that many clinics of bog billing. What once used to cost me thirty dollars for the implant now costs me two hundred and forty dollars including the insertion. I do get some back off media care, but it's not enough to cover the whole expense. Am I being unreasonable and expecting him to foot some of the bill? Thanks? Guys?
Speaker 3: Interesting? How long does it do? They wonder how long a rod life. I've never used that three year deception, so I had over three years is not the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had one way back when. And contraception is so interesting, right, Like I went crazy, like I lost my mind on the rock, lost it like I was actually probably committable, and so we had to take it out. Not for me, if it is for you, really convenient solution, but that's a lot of money, especially upfront, especially upfront, and there's lots of more permanent contraception solutions, right, and they can be more expensive. And I'm super honest and open about having these conversations because I think the best way we can sometimes learn is through conversation and actually going wow, like, oh that's what Victoria had, or that's what Jes did, or that's what somebody else did. Because I've got so many friends who have just gone through the rods like every three years, they just get it changed out and it really works well for them. That did not work for me at all. But I also couldn't have the pill because I was getting migraines, which was really frustrating, and I ended up with the marina. But I was in the fortunate position where the Marina that I got I had private health insurance, so that could cover that cost because I had to be put to sleep because I hadn't had a baby before. So it's an interesting and fickle position, but I do genuinely believe contraceptions are shared cost. Like, at the end of the day, it's a cost of being in a relationship, and that should be from my perspective, split Jess, have you ever had this conversation with a partner.
Speaker 3: No, I've always paid the cost. I think the way that I felt about it was it's something that I liked being not that it wouldn't be in my hands if someone else was paying for it, but it's just been something that I've always been happy enough to pay. Using the contraceptive pill is thankfully, for me, at least, very affordable. I mean, I guess you could look at it the other way, like, if you're using a form of male contraception like condoms, would you be splitting that cost? And if so, I feel like that's a good way to open up that conversation with your partner and kind of say, well, would we just chat condoms in the grocery basket and split the cost between us?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Great, maybe we should be having the same kind of perspective on a female form of contraception. It just depends on your situation. I think, like absolutely, if that's you know, if it's a big upfront cost and you're stressing about it, it's well worth having the conversation because I think that the contraception is for the benefit of both of you, presumably, like you're not trying to have a baby right now, so you both want that to be in place, and I think that merits are split cost. It's just not the way that I've personally done it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like, again, this is probably me just reading into it a little bit, but I feel like when I was single, contraception was my cost. It was me protecting me and making sure that I as an individual was okay. Then once I was in a serious, long term relationship, contraception was a conscious choice that my partner and I made. And when that changed from me protecting me and making decisions only for me because I was single and I had chosen to be on contraception, I did not want to have a child at that point point. Once there's another person in the mix and they're a part of the decision making process, I genuinely believe that's their cost. Like you can't just say, oh, my boyfriend of one month or I've been sleeping with this guy, he should pay for my pill. I feel like once it's a joint decision that you stay on contraception, then absolutely it's a joint cost. But it's a fickle one as well. And I think a lot of financial privilege plays into this, because you know, Jess, I know that you're similar to me in that paying for the pill. Historically I was like, oh, it's thirty bucks a month, I can afford that on my salary. You didn't really think about it, and to be honest, it was just easier to pay for it because you had to go to the doctor. You just had to go past the chemist and pick it up, like your partner wasn't there to split the bill, like you didn't even let's just not have the conversation, I'll pay for it, Whereas if you're in more of a financially constrictive situation, you might go far out. That's a lot of money and we really need to think about this and split the cost. And I think that that becomes a far harder conversation to have because you're already carrying a bit of the burden of like, oh, I want to be paying for this, but it's a lot, right, especially as you get further down the track and you know, again financially privileged, I could afford this, and it was okay. But after I got told no, sorry, Victoria, you can't be on the pill. You're gonna have to find an alternative contraceptive method that got really expensive really quickly, Like the idea of a marina. I was like, oh, far out, that's like one of the only options I have left. I was like, oh, that's got five years on it. There was like a copper coil option and that was ten years. But I was like, these are really long term solutions. And I was in my mid twenties. I was like, oh, I don't know, all really expensive and a privilege to access. But I also think that, you know, at that point in time, I remember having the conversation and my partner actually offered to pay for it. He was like, oh, I can pay for that, Like that shouldn't be on you. But I also am basically in a relationship with a staunch feminist and I love that. So it was so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as you guys know, I don't have heaps of experience or any experience with any contraception.
Speaker 2: Ever, your body must be thanking you seriously, lucky lady.
Speaker 4: You know, like I just feel like, and I know this isn't a question of should women have to have contraception, That's not what.
Speaker 2: It's not the conversation. No, if you have chosen to be on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you've chosen to be on it. God, it sounds like a does like hectic things to a woman's body.
Speaker 3: It is crazy the way that like the perception is that one thing will work for everyone. Because I had a similar experience to you, I mean through four different types of pill before one that didn't make me feel like I was going insane.
Speaker 4: And like the surgery to get something in plant like he you like, that just seems so hectic, And yeah, that absolutely should be if you're in a long term relationship, a shared cost. But I also just think that so like bulk billing now is not a thing really and you have to spend spence just getting.
Speaker 2: A lot more sparse. I think post COVID doctors are you know, back to seeing people in person, and it's just more expensive now and I was talking to a friend literally the other day about her rod and she was saying, oh, and exactly the same situation as our our listener has said, Oh used to be like thirty bucks. And I remember when I got my rod. I just went to a bog billing doctor. They give you a prescription, you go down to the chemist, you pick up the rod under your prescription, go back for another bulk billing session and they'll insert it. And I was basically out of pocket. I think like twenty eight bucks. Wow, And that's for three years of contraception, So like that's a good deal if it works out for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I remember the same thing happened with my first Marina. I went to a fertility clinic in East Melbourne actually, which I really recommend. Really liked them. They were some of the kindest humans. They gave me a prescription, I went down, I picked it up, I came back and we literally went into like a surgery to get it done. And I think I was out like one hundred and fifty seven dollars for the first one. Then skip five years later and I was getting it changed. It was up near seven hundred dollars to get it changed because obviously it wasn't both built in the same way, and things change, and like that's okay, but that's a very big difference from you know, one hundred and fifty eight dollars. I think that's what it was. And I can probably get the we'll put it on Instagram at some point when I can find it. But for five years of contraception, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again another privilege to be able to pay that.
Speaker 4: Out right, I guess, like back to my point, like I'm I think that if both parties want the same thing, then both parties share that cost. But obviously it's not purely for you know, avoiding pregnancy. It's like, you know, making sure you don't get an STI or a sexually transmitted infection disease, you know, that kind of thing. So that's also a thing that both parties should be concerned about. And I guess we started this thinking we'd all have different views, but I think it's the same. I think they should be split if both parties want the same thing, if it's both.
Speaker 2: There, yeah, And I feel like that's true. I feel like Jess and I are probably falling down the root of contraception literally when it comes to fertility, because as females in long term relationships, you kind of go, all right, well, the pill is quote the easy option, right, you just take the pill. You don't have to worry so much. Yes, condoms exist, Yes, that is something that we could do. There's lots of different methods that people rely on, but I think that we fall into that because that's the one that is, from my perspective, is usually one hundred percent in the female's control, if that makes sense. Like I have to go to the doctor and I have to get a script for me, Like my husband can't go to the doctor and be like, oh, like you know, I'm just trying to sort out contraception my wife and I, you know, want to be on the pill. He can't do that for me. So I feel like I default to assuming it's that because both Steve or I could go on my condoms if we wanted to or needed to. And again, I think it falls back to my original view of if I am in a situation where I am single and I was sexually active, I would see that cost as an individual cost. I would expect and I would hope that women who are you know sexually active and single have protection with them and don't just rely on the pill, and they are looking after themselves and being smart about those things because you can't rely on somebody else to bring it to the table because you don't know them well enough yet. Yeah, but you're right further down into the situation, if the chosen contraception method is a condom, then that should be a shared cost too. I think I just lean further on stuff that comes via prescription because it's just harder to get and it really falls down to being the burden of the woman in the relationship. All the person who has ovaries right be known.
Speaker 3: I would be so thrilled to have to split the cost of a male contraceptive with my partner, Like I would love to put him on a pill. He can be crazy for a little bit and I'll after that. Yeah, it's just not.
Speaker 2: Been I feel like it's going to be an option soon. There's been a few things in the media about it.
Speaker 3: Do you remember like a few years ago they were like, oh, we're so close, but the male contraception got put on hold because they had a lot of really severe reactions like nau, they mood swings, and I was like, yes, so like regular side effects.
Speaker 2: Literally, I feel like women, no, no, we can't get into this because there's a whole conversation. There's a whole conversation to be had about women and pain and all of that. But cutting off, I think we're on the same page. If you're going to be sexually active, be smart about it, yes, full stop, end of story. Yeah, we are just smart. Do what you want, be smart about.
Speaker 4: It, and share those costs, and share those costs, save your sexual puns.
Speaker 2: And don't feel bad if you're going to bring that conversation up. Was guaranteed. If I had the confidence that I had today, when I was twenty two, twenty three and single, I'd be like, oh, yeah, can we split contraception? And they might say no. I'd be like, oh, okay, well so you're ready for a baby?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're ready. I feel like them saying no to splitting the cost red flag, red FLA red flag, red flag, And you know what, that's a really good red flag because we'll get it done really early and I can yet you out of my.
Speaker 2: Life, so see you by And you know what, that's probably a good place to wrap the episode too. Because I feel like jess Beck and I are going to go get a drink and probably get a lot more heated about this on this Friday afternoon. So have a really good week, guys, have the best weekend. We love you and.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next week. Bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on Cheese on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money SHERPA pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine