Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is prouds Toby be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello everybody, Welcome to The Unplayable Podcast. Day two here at the SCG, and it was a great day for batting. We saw hundreds to Joe Root, nearly one hundred to Travis Head and plenty more action in between. Louis Cameron is with me Josh on a finger and I want to start lou with maybe the biggest talking point of the day, certainly, it was the thing that got us talking in the press box. It was the Ben Stokes Marnus Labushane confrontation in the final session. Yeah, do you want to talk us through what happened there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well I wasn't one hundred percent sure where you were going there because I felt like you could potentially make four different topics. The biggest talking point of the day the Jamie Smith wicket. Yeah, that the Marnus Labushane and Ben Stokes kind of spat. But then Roote and Head make contrasting, you know, excellent, excellent Knox. So yeah, let's talk about that because that's probably the one that people love. People love a bit of bifo, don't they.
Speaker 1: And and there was a bit of physical alter co.
Speaker 2: Well that's right, yeah, And I'd be interested to get your thoughts on where you thought that went. But how it kind of went down was Stokes amide a kind of out of control bowling effort from England like it. They looked really ragged out there today, I thought, apart from Stokes himself, I mean, he got the two wickets again, had to kind of dig his side out of trouble. He is this team's best bowler, and that might even be the case when they've got when they're at full strength, and they're nowhere near full strength with the three quicks they've got out there, the three front line quicks. But he concedes a second boundary in a row I think it was, or second boundary in as many balls off Travis Head. This one was at a battle legs up line. He thought it was a chance of hitting the stumps. Head squeezes down on it. Another four past fine leg and things are starting to get out of control. Marnus Labushain's at the non strikers and kind of comes down the wicked And this is where we don't know what happened exactly. He has said something it looked like to Travis Head some kind of you know, words of encouragement potentially, but we don't know. It might have said something that rolled up Stokes. Always intended to roll up Stokes, and it did roll up. He's kind of turned around and gone back at Marnas, and you know, Maru's looked a bit nonplussed, which makes me think that he probably didn't intend to elicit the response, and he got so as Stokes is walking back to his mark, it looks like Stokes goes back for a bit more. Marnus holds his ground and then look the physical contact I might read was that Stokes couldn't hear him. You know, it's a loud out there. The crowd would have been kind of buzzing, especially when they sensed a bit of drama. I think he has then put his arm around Marnas's shoulder to hear him better, because Marnus didn't look affronted by the physical contact. But yeah, did you think that was kind of overboard.
Speaker 1: Now, I think it looked like it could have escalated when he did go to put his arm around. And Mark will made a good point on the Fox coverage that when Stokes had his arm on the neck of he did give it a bit of a squeeze. It wasn't it wasn't completely soft and friendly. So yeah, a bit unusual to see that on a cricket field, isn't it. And I'm not sure sort of row stand on it, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I saw it. Lysia Heally as well on Fox said that you know that referee might need to get involved here if it is as we suspect, if the incident is roughly along the lines of what we've just spoken about in terms of, yeah, Stokes has got annoyed with something Marnus has said, Marnus has had a few words back, Stokes has kept going nothing too out of line there, from a bit of normal argibargie in that spirit. And you know, I Stokes was there just trying to hear him like just say, hey mate, what did you actually say, Like, let's make sure we're on the same page here. Then I really think it's fine. I really don't think I mean it's very different to say, you know, the Sam Constance versus very coally thing last year at the MCG or last season at the MCG, and even the conscious versus the entire Indian team late on was it day one or two of that SCG test, when Boomra and the whole Hindian team kind of rounded on him like that. There were elements there that felt like intimidating. I mean, certainly the Khalie bumping into it, bumping into Constas was intimidating. So yeah, I didn't think I didn't have a big problem if the incident was as we suspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when Lavashane and Head were talking to the umpires after Stokes left the area, the cameras just showed Labashane smiling and laughing, as if to say that there was nothing poorly intended about it. I noticed earlier in the day Carry o'keef said that it looked like the pitch had a bit of extra testosterone and today and Joe Rout said it was tricky it's about today. Well, there was extra testosterone as well as that wasn't there. So Ben Stokes, yeah, as you said, it was great with the ball. But he ended up getting the wicked of Labors Shane. So if there was a little bit of nigger there from Manas it did backfire on.
Speaker 2: It took a lot of self control, I reckon from Stokes not to give Manus an absolute godful because yeah, he's run past him and he's just stared at him. And I think he chose the right the right course of action because having been in that position before at a much lower level of cricket. Of course, Josh, you just know when you get one over the batter and you dismiss them like you just feel like you're king of the world, you want to give them an absolute sound off, at least I have when I've been in that position before, and that might have actually made the mistake. But yeah, he showed a lot of self control and like it shouldn't take away from from an excellent performance from Stokes because he had to put his team on his back there, Like the way trav just blitzed them everywhere. You know, Matthew Potts in particular was poor. We've kind of wandered on this podcast. You know, why has any played earlier? Well, I think we saw why he hasn't played earlier. Albeit you know, maybe there's some kind of nets Russ. He's been out here for almost two months and hasn't played a game. They haven't really I don't think even was he one of the ones who went He went to so, I mean, would he bowled eight ten overs in that in two months? You're going to be a bit rusty, but you know this might be his one kind of ash's opportunity.
Speaker 1: A bit of a sidebar. But how much would you pay for full access to the stunt microphones? Oh and again dame like this, I mean you'd hear some stuff withn't here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wonder whether the stunt mike would have picked up all of what was going on there because it was kind of mid pitch. But yeah, that would be a that would be something you could jarge a lot for.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Travis Head's innings, because he finished the day ninety one not out off only eighty seven balls. I mean he hit fifteen to four. Some of the shots that he was hitting. I mean, Joe Root's innings was described as classical. Today you can't really describe Travis Head's banging as classical. There were some shots where he was airborne. Both feed off the ground and he still got it to the rope. There was this little squad drive where he sort of crouches down and still squirts it through the off side. And then that one league pull shot right at the start of his innings. I mean, that was that was pretty nice to watch, it must say, when you get that one day up and get the balls over to the squarely grope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm completely different to what we saw from Joe Root, but in some ways they are. Well, maybe in one way they're similar. You bowl like a good length ball or just short with any width outside of stump, even a three and a half stump line ball that goes for for a lot of the time, and it's the same for route as well, like he when he was going today and yesterday, like any width and he was able to kind of put it either side of point and get boundaries or at least get off strike. So just the way they do it is completely different. But in many respects it's equally difficult to bowl to. And the other thing I thought he did just showed great judgment on the balls he drove at like he it never feels like he's outright, so well, maybe Perth it felt like it was at right sogging when they wanted to get that win inside the second day. But it felt very much in control, and he's only the margin of for error is very small. But when you miss, you know, he punishes you. And he kind of only drives when it's very full. And then, yeah, we spoke about it punishes kind of with so brutal innings, like it felt like he was going to score a century in a session. If it wasn't for some very good Night Watchman work from Michael Nisa, he would have got there.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, a bit of a surprise to see these to come out. Scott Bomer has been the regular Night Watchman and then Nissa explained to us at the press conference that he was no watchman, so that Stark wasn't batting eleven.
Speaker 2: I kind of see how you understood that. Yeah, that's exactly what he said. Yeah, because it's a very deep batting lineup that they've got, it would be what would have been Nisa at nine, stuck at ten ordinarily because you've got Webs at eight. Yeah, I kind of I mean that, like Stark is averaging thirty for the thirty or twenty five this year had to think, yeah, more than whether all, I think maybe more than maybe less than Manus after today, But the guy's hitting him very well. That's why I was kind of surprised that they went with Webster at eight in this team in the first place. I just thought like they could have picked a spinner as a bit of a free swing, just given like the very deep batting they'd already have in a team with Nissa and Stuck in it. So it does make sense you don't want to have Stark stranded at number eleven. Yeah, that's true when he's really contributing with the bat. So that made a lot of sense. I guess you might feel like he's slightly overqualified for the job, but he's gotten through. And would you're all out of a Michael Nicea Test Century Day three?
Speaker 1: Well, wouldn't that be something? He faced fifteen of the last nineteen balls or the day, as he said, did his job to perfection. He was hit on the arm, which ended up finishing the day five balls earlier. He said he was okay. So for the Michael Nisa fans out there, he will be okay to continue to borrow, but maybe a bit of smart games there as well.
Speaker 2: I reckon. Well, we were kind of wondering about that because Nissa is, you know, such a tough unit and it just feels like he doesn't have that bluff in him. You know, when Zach Crawley did it, was it at Lord's earlier this year, where he he just wasted you know, you got hit on the fingers and just wasted time essentially. I think he subsequently admitted to doing as much. If Crawley was doing it, you would kind of believe that it was a bit of a bit of a bluff and a bit of a time wasting tactic. But with Nisa, he just feels like too nice a guy and too honest a bloke to you know, a show and pain but also be you know, bend the rules.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll mark down Michael Nie a hundred. You heard that here, put that in. Well, the other big talking point you touched on off the top was the Jamie Smith dismissal. Today, I will get you to talk through it. But England, we're in a really strong position at that point of the game. He was during a ninety four unpartnership with Joe Root England, Yeah, bossing the game. They were looking at over four hund in their first innings, and then Manus Labashan comes onto bowl in the lead up to the second new ball boyling a lot of short stuff and somehow ekes out a wicket.
Speaker 2: Do you want to play a game here with this one, Josh? And I'm just turning my laptop screen away from you so you can't cheat. I'm going to read out four different descriptions of either the shot or the bowling of Marnas and I want you to and then give you four former Test players and you've got to match the former Test players with the description. So I've got brainless as my first one got dumb, is my second one filthy and rubbish. Now the former players are Justin Langer, Brettley, Mark Taylor and Stephen Finn. So both sides of the ashes divide are piling into the Jamie Smith and or Manus Labushane's bowling well filthy?
Speaker 1: Can you give me the Aussies again? That's definitely an aussy Lee Langer Taylor, that's Brett Lee.
Speaker 2: That's well done done.
Speaker 1: Brainless feels like something in English person who would say.
Speaker 2: Are you bluffing? Did you read this before? This is very good Yeah, that's Stephen Finn the other two. So you've got dumb and rubbish and you've got Mark Taylor and Justin Langer j L.
Speaker 1: He's going to say, he's going to say dumb.
Speaker 2: Well done. Yeah, I think it's not the first time he's used that. He's said dumb batting. I think maybe the last test about it.
Speaker 1: I think Harry Brooks batting yesterday.
Speaker 2: At some point he's double down on it today and then yeah, you've got rubbish. I think that was a description of the bowling Mark Taylor. Actually that's a great clip if you watch. It's on Triple M Socials. I think it ended up in our live blog. Mark Taylor said, this is exactly the kind of rubbish bowling that gets wickets the next ball. Yeah, I mean all of the above, right, Like Marnison and Travis Head that part. What is it about those two? They were the two that got hundred soaks his skin later in the day. They're the two of the famous World Cup final combination that won Australia that that title in the Metabad and here they've come on to bowl, you know, a bit of filth in some respects just to tie Australia over to the second U ball was also in the lead into lunch, so and England kind of saw an opportunity a little bit, is what Joe Route later said, although I feel like that might be a bit of revision. It's history and you know they're mostly knocking it around, you know, Jamie Smith, I don't know, I'd have to look back, but I feel like he wasn't. It didn't look like he was desperately trying to score runs off it. But yeah, Marnus is bowling with his you know, the short ball field and he can actually get the speeds up a little bit on this ball I think was one hundred and twenty nine, so not absolutely slow, but also not the kind of pace you would expect to trouble a guy who averages over forty in Test cricket and he's tried to basically baseball bat it down the ground, probably have a mid off or straight back at the side screen and miscuse it. And Scott Boland, I mean Scott Bowland. You know he's a decent fielder, but in this team he's probably the least athletic, maybe Usma Kwaija, so you're probably putting those two in your least likely spots to get a catch, and that's where the catch went. I mean, yeah, you just it's hard to defend.
Speaker 1: Well, the pilot has already started. I've seen some articles around saying it's easily the worst is English dismissal of the summer, and there's been plenty of the cheers from some have been calling it the worst dismissal of the decade, So certainly there will be plenty to talk about about that dismissal. When he was out at five for three hundred and twenty, that becoming six for three hundred and twenty, England lost their last five we gets for sixty runs and on a good batting strip, desperately needed to put on a good first innings total and they didn't do it.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the key point here is, Yeah, you can debate the merits of him trying to attack Australia in that situation. I think there's some merit in that. I can see what Joe Root is saying about it. But equally, like you've got to be responsible for your actions and okay, like that's you've got Will Jacks behind you, but you're basically down to your last recognized batters. You know, is there a case for the long game? That's not something this England team seemed to think about a lot. But yeah, is there a case to get to get to the second new ball with two set batters and then relaunch from there or even attack the second new ball, because that's something Jamie Smith did reasonably well in Adelaide. He got a lot of grief I think for how he went out in Adelaide that I think that was to the second new ball when Mitchell start and again that was pulling. Look, they were chasing what was it close to four hundred on that occasion, maybe three seventy three eighty. They kind of needed to take a few risks to get to that total. Here they were right on top of Australia, like, what was it five for three hundred and twenty? You said, second new ball coming up? Boland and Stark and to a lesser extent, Nisa of all bowled a lot of overs in the series. There's no spinner. Yeah, can you dig in and and absorbs some pressure for a little bit. That's not what this England team is really about, despite the fact they kept talking about absorbing pressure. But Yeah. Again, it's just a case of them having a really strong position in a game and throwing it away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess you also have Joe Root at the other end. He didn't look like any.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the biggest one and that like, yeah, that's probably actually the best point you could possibly make about it is Joe Roots ended up getting out playing a shot he probably wouldn't have if they hadn't been eight. I think they were eight down at that point, so he had to attack and Australia to score some runs because he was batting with Matthew Potts and then Josh Tung after that not particularly recognized batters, so it's forced him to do something different and he like he did not offer a chance apart from his first ball which he played that massive cover drive. You know, he barely looked like getting out and that's bego. And it's a bit of a theme like they left him left hanging at the Gabba. He was one hundred and thirty eight not out there. And the famous one, of course is edge Person twenty twenty three when they basically lost the Test match on the back of Ben Stokes declaring on him when he was that he was batting even better than either of the two innings in this series. So Route has a remarkable temperament to just kind of soak all this in, to accept how his team plays, to accept the highs of it and ride the frustrating loads and not turn on his team mate. He's he's such a classy guy. I've just got so much admiration for him, because if he was a more selfish batter, he would surely be going like, what are you guys? What are you doing to me? I'm in the form of my life. I'm batting as good as he talked about maybe getting to the twenty nine thirty ashes. I think it's twenty nine thirty. He was at thirty thirty one. Yeah, you know that's a that's a long way away, and he's going well enough that you think he could get there. So classy guy, but yeah, surely some frustration there.
Speaker 1: So he's England's all time leading round scorer and he's been underutilized by England effectively. Incredible stuff. Really, let's talk about his wicket he got So he got through that second new ball with really no drama. Scottland was zipping it around everywhere out of fact, I feel like he was a bit unlucky not to get a wicket during that spell. In the end, it was Michael Nissa who came on. He wasn't given that second new ball even though he was given the first new ball, so that was a bit of a change from Australia. But Nissa came in, bowleder short ball at route. It probably jumped a bit more than his thought and then really athletic court and bowl. Just another one to add to Nissa's catalog there now, And he said that was a plan that he'd been working on with Ezmond Kwaja just a ball or two before. So isn't that nice when a plant comes together?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was your question in the press conference and a good one. And yeah, again it's route playing. He's probably thinking about getting two there because I think they had three guys out on the leg side and no mid wickets, so if he bumps it into the leg side, he can kind of scramble back for two. I think it was the first ball of an over as well, so you know he's thinking about how can I maximize my run scoring capacity with so few wickets left. But yeah, I'm a Nissa and he had to dive across the wicket square as well, so it would have been kind of hard on the old elbows. Such an athletic guys. He's offered so much to Australia this series and I think I saw. I'm not sure if it finished up this way, but his bowling average has actually gone below Scott Bowland's.
Speaker 1: And they are absolutely right. They was pointed out by colleague Adam Burnett. Scott Boland has eighty wickets at eighteen point four to seven in Tests. Nissa He's up to twenty one wickets at seventeen point one nine, so just ahead of the Victorian.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, there you go. And I'm in much smaller sample size of course, but yeah, and speaks to a wider thing in this series of Australia winning what is it more three Tests now, I've you know, could be four without Hazelwood and sorry they've won two Tests without Hazewood and Cummins and the team commins came back and played that one. But you know they're down to their apart from Stark there, and this is a B grade bowling attack. This is the Australia a bowling attack with Mitchell Stark in it, no line, no commons, no hazewood. I feel like we actually haven't spoken about that, weirdly enough in this series of Yeah, Australia have had some injury stuff. We've spoken about England bring this high octane pace attack well, and none of them are here, you know, Stoke, Sorry, Wood, Archer, Atkinson all gone and you know Australia in a in a somewhat similar boat. Yet their b the reserve bowlers are doing a much better job.
Speaker 1: When Boland was zipping it around everywhere, Stewart Broad was on sen and he said, honestly, guys, if Australia had Cummins and Hazard, England would be all out for under two fifty on this pitch.
Speaker 2: So he's seeing of the backhanded compliment is He's like, He's like, oh, you're doing well, but if this thing, you know, if you're twenty ten team have done there. He's just very good at needling. Australians is in it. It's a real art form.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a wrap. On day two here at the SCG Australia Trail by two hundred and eighteen runs, Travis Head needs nine runs four that century. It would be his third of the Ashes. Summer play is going to begin at ten o'clock Eastern time again tomorrow, so don't miss the first ball and catch up to play.
Speaker 2: That's right, And let's hope that we're not necessarily talking about Big Bash Gridley at the end of the day, and we can talk about it anyway because it's fun. Because I feel like yesterday I've got a lot of time playing Big Bash Gridley because it rained so much. So if you don't get the opportunity, if we don't get the opportunity to play Big Bash Gridley, that's because we've had lots of play.
Speaker 1: And hopefully we're talking about Michael Nieces.
Speaker 2: Let's see