Speaker 1: Today's Good News Podcast is brought to you by Upbank. Up Bank is the bank with no extra fees, no fossil fuel investments, no bs, just smart banking already.
Speaker 2: And this is this is the Daily, This is the Daily. Ohs oh, now it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome to the Daily Oys. My name Sam. It is the fourteenth of December. Happy Saturday, and welcome to another Good News edition. Billy, It's lovely to have you with me today.
Speaker 2: Hello, so nice to be here. Good News on the weekend. Everything that I've ever wanted.
Speaker 1: And I'm bringing you in on a beautiful summer day. This is going to be one that people are listening to as they're walking in the sunshine. Hopefully that's my vision whenever I think about the Good News Pod is headphones in Saturday morning, walk going to the.
Speaker 2: Beach, the markets, a lovely community morning. And speaking of community, the Australian community, we are starting with your first and true life of sport. This week we have had the short course World Championships. I've actually never heard of that, so do you want to first explain what that is and then we'll get to the records that have been broken at the World Championships.
Speaker 1: Yes, spot on that it's a community story because I feel like whenever an Australian does well and any sporting competition anywhere in the world, I feel like I've won. I feel like I have been.
Speaker 2: Part of the egotistical thing.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's not because of me that they've won. It's just that I'm part of the journey. I'm part of the team.
Speaker 2: At least you're self aware.
Speaker 1: So we won this week. We won at the World Short Course Championships in Budapest. We're talking about swimming here, amazing. And the reason it's called the Short Course World Championships is that it's done in a twenty five meter pool as opposed to the fifty meter pool that we see at the Olympics. Oh interesting, So there's double the amount of turns as they would be in an Olympic race. It's as competitive as the Olympics. For the swimming world. It's a major event. This is one that kind of everybody, you know, the top of the top, make sure that it's in their calendars. And we've had two gold medals so far at the meet, and that has gone to Elijah Winnington and Lannie Pallister and Elijah Winnington is a really amazing story. He won gold at the short course four hundred meter freestyle final and that was special because he won silver in that event at the Olympics, so this was going one better, ending the year on a high, a fantastic result for him. At only twenty four, He's got at least one, if not two, more Olympic Games left in him. And then the other big winner was Lannie Pallister. She won gold in the eight hundred meter freestyle and that is a really awesome effort. She also came second and got silver in the four hundred meter freestyle, and she got beaten by Summer Macintosh, who's the eighteen year old Canadian superstar that you might remember from the Paris Games. She kind of blew everybody away with her performance in the pool in Paris, and to beat Lannie Pallister, Summer Macintosh needed to break a world record. So Lannie Pallisterer is having a really strong meet. She's still got a couple of events left to swim, as does the rest of the Australian team. We're kind of sitting I think third or fourth on the medal tally now, But how good is you know, the swimming back in the headlines, gold medals back in the headlines, and Australian's doing really well.
Speaker 2: Australia never disappoints in the pool. So it's still going on. It'll go into next week.
Speaker 1: It's got a couple of days left at the meet. We're going to keep seeing some headlines about it, especially if Australia keeps raking in the medals.
Speaker 2: Love it and then from one sport to another. Chess is a sport, right, we count it as a sport.
Speaker 1: We're talking about my kind of sport here in terms of the sports that I actually could play. And that's why I think I know so much about sport because I watch so much of it. I'm not exactly playing a lot of it. Chess I can plays.
Speaker 2: It's a sport for your brain.
Speaker 1: It is a sport for your brain. And every year there's a world championship to figure out who's got the best chess brain. And this year, an eighteen year old has become the youngest ever chess World champion. Curqueshdahmaju from India defeated the defending champion Ding Loren to take out the He was filled with emotion after he won. There's this vision of him sitting there with his head in his hands. He couldn't quite believe what he'd just done. At eighteen years old, he had just become the world champion in chess. I'm going to link the footage to that video in today's show notes. It is really beautiful to watch. But as you can imagine, he has been almost an overnight celebrity now in India. There's been fans in the street cheering and hugging as he won the competition. It's a beautiful moment. It even went so far as the Indian Prime Minister, he commented, saying historic and exemplary. This is the result of his unparalleled talent, hard work, and unwavering determination. His triumph has not only asked his name in the annals of chess history, but has also inspired millions of young minds to dream big and pursue excellence. What a story, and to think it all started with a board game. Love it.
Speaker 2: It's not the best board game though, fan of backgammon, and I'd like to see a world championships for backgammon.
Speaker 1: You no, I'm going to contend that that does exist, does it? Yeah? We're going to have to find it. I'm going to enter. TDA will cover the entering costs if it's below twenty five dollars, and we'll see how you go.
Speaker 2: Amazing. That is definitely the superior board game.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, Billy, We've got time for one more story that I want to take you through. Give it to us, and this one is about a bill that has just passed the US Senate. It passed with bipartisan support, and it's going to fund CPR training and access to automated external defibllarators. They're called AEDs in schools. And one of the people who really led the advocacy of this bill was NFL player DeMar Hamlin. Now you might remember DeMar Hamlin because two years ago he was playing for the Bills in the NFL when he collapsed and went into cardiac arrest on the field and his life was saved by medical staff who were there. And the fact that they're was one of these ad devices on the sidelines ready to be used just in case. It was a very striking moment that was you know, as you can imagine, with the NFL televised to millions of people in the US, the game was abandoned. It was a really major news moment. And since then, and since his recovery, Hamlet has become a real advocate for CPR training and for as many AD devices to be as accessible as possible to everybody. And this bill was one of his first kind of big policy movements. He's in his mid twenties, he's really taking a strong advocacy lens to all of this. So the bill is called, and I think this is good news in itself. It's called the Cardiomyopathy Health Education, Awareness, Research and Training in Schools Act. Now, health Education Awareness Research training that spells heart. So it's called the HEARTS Act. Yes, love that. It's incredible. So the HEARTS Act has passed and President Biden is going to sign the bill in the next couple of days, and that will essentially increase funding for CPR training in schools and these AD device in schools. Now, why schools and why is that so important? Well, children who experience cardiac arrest in schools that do have ADS available are seven times more likely to survive compared to children in schools without those devices. And that's according to a study from the Journal of the American College of cardiology. If you can perform CPR on somebody who has just suffered a cardiac arrest, CPR can double or triple the chance of survival if the cardiac arrest happened outside a hospital. So this is something he says he's going to dedicate the rest of his life too. He's still actually involved in NFL and it's just one of those moments where it looks like, in all the dysfunction of politics anywhere around the world, it seems that people have come together for a really good cause here that will genuinely save lives.
Speaker 2: Such a beautiful story, life saving story. Yeah, let's get to the recommendations. Sam, what is your recommendation.
Speaker 1: I've got a song to recommend everybody. It came out yesterday from one of my favorite artists ever, Fred Again.
Speaker 2: If sport is your first true love, I would say Fred Again is definitely your second true life.
Speaker 1: Definitely. I walked down the aisle to a Fred Again song when I got married.
Speaker 2: Don't you're also proposed to it?
Speaker 1: Proposed to a Fred Again song. So it's called Light Dark Light. But the reason I thought I would recommend this to everybody today is that the guest vocalist on the song is nausey. It's Angie McMahon. She's from Melbourne. She's a singer, songwriter. She's an incredible artist in her own right. She has partnered with Fred again on one song before. It's called Angie that song, and this is a second go. Her voice is incredible. It's rich. It's like dark chocolate. Wow.
Speaker 2: I love that description for someone's voice.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I'll put it. I'll put it in the show notes and I want you to tell me if it is the right confectionery to kind of give it an analogy.
Speaker 2: To Oh, I love that.
Speaker 1: Do you have one for us before we go?
Speaker 2: I have one. Mine is very different to yours. It is sunscreen.
Speaker 1: Just the product.
Speaker 2: Just the product. I mean, I use one from Mecca that I've just found works my skin, but any sunscreen. We are getting into the hotter months. It is a blazing sun out there. The sun. It just burns my skin. But sunscreen. I'm really in my sunscreen era. I feel like when I was younger, you know, people would always say that they put sunscreen on every day, and I didn't really believe them or in it. For some very weird reason, and now every single day is part of my morning routine with my coffee, I make sure that I put my sunscreen on and it just makes me so happy and it makes me feel like I'm doing something for self care and I've really enjoyed it along with.
Speaker 1: My coffee excellent. It's been part of Australian culture since we were all born, the slip slop slap. It's always worth reminding and discussing with your mates about how important it is to wear sunscreen. It's part of the Australian way of life. And as you say, it can make you feel really nice in the morning as well.
Speaker 2: And I feel like everyone gets to that age where they're like, huh, I should be looking after my skin more, huh. And I am now in that era.
Speaker 1: Very good, Welcome to that era. It's a lovely place to be, Billy. Before we go, I just have one more thing that I wanted to chat to you and to everybody listening about, and that's that I wanted to tell everybody about a program called TDA plus You. And this is the idea that over the years of building the Daily Ods, we've had people reach out to us and say, how can we support the work that you're doing well.
Speaker 2: The first question is often how do you make money?
Speaker 1: That is a big question.
Speaker 2: How can I help you make money? Which is a lovely question to receive.
Speaker 1: It's a lovely question. So what we've done this year is actually make a program that people can give voluntary contributions. It can be a one off, it could be the price of a coffee, but you can also give a monthly contribution and it really is designed to help TDA grow and that money goes directly into hiring journalists and hiring young Australians to put in this newsroom, to get everybody together and come up with some great ideas, tell important stories, fact check the information to make sure that it's all accurate, and you know we're doing the news right. It's really important. This is the first time we've told our podcast audience about it. I'm going to put a link in the show notes, but I've also love to hear any questions that you guys have. If you're listening about TDA plus, you go and check out our page. You can meet some of the team on that page and your support really does mean the well.
Speaker 2: And it was your birthday yesterday, so you're really wanting it as a birthday gift.
Speaker 1: If you have a little bit of generosity and you want to make my birthday special, my thirtieth birthday special, big day, a contribution to TDA plus you is the best gift you could possibly give.
Speaker 2: So a link will be in the show notes.
Speaker 1: I'll put a link in today's show notes. It is definitely in the spirit of good news because it's about building a really exciting new part of Australian media.
Speaker 2: Sam, thank you so much, and happy birthday, and thank you so much for listening to this episode of The Daily os our little good News Special. We'll be back again on Monday, but until then, have a great weekend and remember it to us that's green.
Speaker 3: My name is Lily Maddon and I'm a proud Arunda Bungelung Calcoton woman from Gadigol Country. The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadigol people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's cut through the noise. It's a Saturday morning, you're listening to the Good News podcast. I don't want to take up too much of your time, so I'm going to get straight to the point. UP Bank is the bank with no extra fees, no fossil fuel investments, nobs. It's just smart banking tools that actually help you to get what you want out of life. Built by freethinkers who understand that young ossies need banking that works for them, not against them. Everything happens right on your phone, from signing up to daily use, and there's zero overseas fees when you're out there boring the world. So to make sure you're getting the most out of your Saturday and your banking, download up and be ready to go in five minutes plus. If you use the code TDA twenty, you're going to get a quick twenty dollars bonus. So your weekend lunch is on us.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 1: Life's better on the upside.