Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, Cabby Monday cutie piece. Today we're chatting about restaurants to deny saving you food. It's odd. I don't want to say it's a trend. We've seen it on one account and I'm hoping we won't make it to two.
Speaker 2: Here we go. This is Flex and Frooms on Kaita, Miss Frumeni.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me if you've ever ever ever, in your whole entire life and in your experience of dining out extensively, if you've been too a restaurant that's denied you ordering more food, not because the kitchen is closed, not because it is too late, not because there's like a cap, just like you try to order food and they've said no.
Speaker 2: Go home.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to rack my brain for this experience. And truly, unless the kitchen is closing or the item isn't in season or in stock or a veil, totally understand. But apparently there are other examples that fall outside of this range. Here's a TikTok from creator Super Daisy Drinks.
Speaker 4: So we went to this like Turkish, Greek restaurant in Inverness where we were staying. There's four of us, so two of us decide to get like actual mains, and then the other two decide that they want to like share a mes platter as they're like food, so you know, doma spaniccopita, hummus. So the way it comes over, it takes our orders and at the end of it, he's like that's all right, and we're like, yep, that's all we're ordering, and he's like okay, because like that's all right, and in our head we're like, yeah, we know, it doesn't seem like a lot of food, but like that's all we're ordering. Also, this waiter is very clearly the owner of the restaurant, like he's dressed differently. He's an older gentleman. We're eating our food, we're having a great time. And then my two friends who had the mes platter are still hungry and they really like the homeless and the span of copadas, so they decide that they want to order another order of that. So the way it comes over and they ask, oh, can we order another order of homeless and another order of spanic copita. You would have thought that we just asked the owner of this restaurant to bend I'm.
Speaker 2: In space for us.
Speaker 4: He's like, impossible, no way, I'm so sorry, I can't do it. And then he's like, this is exactly why I asked you if this was everything you wanted, And he was like, well, that's why I asked at the beginning. You have to order everything at once?
Speaker 3: I mean, but why so I checked the comments because I'm thinking, am I just like is this a cultural thing that I'm unaware of? Because we don't want to be culturally incentitive. So that he was in Greece, I was like, okay, maybe it's a cultural thing. Went to the comments. They were like, oh, so everyone's scared of chefs, doesn't matter what country you're from.
Speaker 2: I said, do chefs hold that much the owner?
Speaker 3: The owner is scared of the chef because when you think about the logistics, and I'm not sure a lot of people think about how their food is actually made back the never never. I know there are a lot of like chain rasturants in Sydney that do frozen food and just reheat it like Rahas in Sydney does that. The guy who owns it is always on TikTok, and he's like, you know people won't show you this.
Speaker 2: This is the reality.
Speaker 3: You think we can make match pritatoes scratch one serving, now it's frozen.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that, Thank you King.
Speaker 3: Realistically, let's say you're gonna order some spotic cappata. You can't just order your one serving. He's gonna make some more fresh.
Speaker 5: Just likes to roll all of it again because now I get what the chef is saying, but also like, can you really have a restaurant that isn't tailoring people needing to eat more than you anticipated?
Speaker 2: It is your owner's losing.
Speaker 3: Out on on real revenue because he's scared that his chef is gonna have the shit. I need to know if this has happened in Australia, please, because I think the cultural context from here will help us know whether this is like deranged or quite normal. I also feel as though I had this experience in Ghana quite a bit when I took my best friend there, who is Australian.
Speaker 2: We went to a lot of just.
Speaker 3: Restaurants, like to suss it out, and I guess we're in a touristy area, so a lot of these restaurants were offering like western food, right, so pizza, pasta, chips, whatever.
Speaker 2: Perhaps an egg.
Speaker 3: I'm getting to the Sorry, this is where I'm getting your intuition's popping. So basically, we walk into this cafe, she's like, here's the menu. What would you guys like, We're like, okay, could we please get like a miggle rang with egg on top.
Speaker 2: She was like, okay, cool. This chick is like, okay, I'm gonna be back. I'm gonna go buy an egg.
Speaker 3: So she leaves the store, goes to the communitient store or the grocery next door to buy a single egg to come back and cook it for the migorin because they're not gonna keep stock there. That's gonna go to waste if no one's gonna eat in the restaurant. But the majority of restaurants you'll go to, especially in our crow and like that tourism area, the menus are honestly just guidelines and suggestions because nine times out of ten they won't have anything that's on the menu.
Speaker 2: It'll get to the point where you have to ask what do you.
Speaker 3: Have and they'll say, hmmm, well we've got maybe some chicken, breast and like we could probably.
Speaker 2: Do Like, that's what you're that's what you're working with.
Speaker 1: It's essentially a seasonal experience.
Speaker 2: It's farm to table, it's farm to table.
Speaker 3: Does your phone battery affect your dd uber ride share price? That is the question we're answering today on flex and rooms. I want to start by saying this is just speculation. It is potentially a rumor. I'm going to put in all sorts of allegedly, and I understand what defamation is. So people have raised to the Internet to speculate about this claim. Many have shared their own personal experiences with it. As Thrumy says, it's conjecture. We is a correlation, causation, whatever. And the reason why it started is because one person took to Twitter with a photo of two phones and said, oh my goodness, they're both going to the same place at the same time. Why is one so much more expensive than the other. Somebody quote tweeted and said, the phone on the left has lower battery than the phone on the right. Bolt Uber dd other ride share services do this, and they raise their prices relative to your battery level in brackets. Yes, they can do that, and they do now I can be quite naive to what corporations will do to make a quick buck. It's quite genius if you think about it. In the crisis, search it please, because we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Pay it right anyway.
Speaker 3: So then a bunch of different platforms and articles and whatever did their own experiments and conclude that it's not actually true, and they don't know why that happened in that instance, but the rumors started here. We are also further in there's no rumor. But Uber did come out and say that it doesn't take into consideration the phone's battery level to determine or calculate the price of a trip, and the dynamic pricing applied to trips booked via Uber is determined by the existing demand for rides and the supply of drivers who can respond to it. So like search pricing is apply demand whatever whatever whatever.
Speaker 2: Now that they know though the people are speculating, it's just do it.
Speaker 1: I say, so, this is hundred percent plotile deniability.
Speaker 2: And if you happen to go to court, will defend you.
Speaker 1: Last week I came on air with a simple PSA and that was that I'm seeing the term partner be thrown about. I refer to this in a romantic capacity. So you have a boyfriend, girlfriend, someone with whom you are romantically intertwinked into.
Speaker 2: No, you got it, okay?
Speaker 1: And I noticed that when I'm having quite a few conversations with my straight brethren, they are referring to their boyfriend or girlfriend as partner. And I have then been thinking, are they part of the LGBTQI community giving them the benefit of the doubt, of course, And I'm wondering is there some cloud associated with that? Perhaps some of us have been guilty of arel on the line of will they won't they? And really playing into that.
Speaker 2: For the social life.
Speaker 1: Perhaps someone was saying in the comments for social cloud, not my words, and we got some really hectic are they hectic?
Speaker 2: No, very passioned, very impassioned responses.
Speaker 3: It is fair to say say that, of course, the video was a snippet of a longer conversation which we did discuss that some people use the term partner because I think that boyfriend and girlfriend is perhaps a bit juvenile for their demographic and their age.
Speaker 2: Or to be inclusive, or to use more like appropriate language.
Speaker 3: We heard all of that definitely threw that in the conversation and decided to discard.
Speaker 2: It in favor of what threw me was saying.
Speaker 1: I hate and unfortunately you asked me to follow up is making me start because I am.
Speaker 2: I hate. I hate having to repeat myself. Guys.
Speaker 3: What I will say though, as but an observer for that conversation, I was a member of the audience for that one I played, and I was happy to be there. You can find the video on Frooms's Instagram f R Triple Es. And what I will say is that I was very surprised by how many straight people were very defensive about their use of partner and also the lengths people were going to and the paragraphs they were writing to try and justify it. We've talked about many a serious topic on this show, and I can't imagine a more ludicrous, humorous video than the one that we posted, and yet people were still so defensive. But I think the point stands, which not good or bad behavior, yes, but it's good to be aware of what you think you're doing when you're making the conscious choice to use ambiguous language describes something that as quite clear and like.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I also feel like I have skin in the game to say this because I'm definitely I have definitely been guilty of the partner troll.
Speaker 2: That's how you know, I see your community.
Speaker 1: I must say I did it when I was younger. I've since grown and as I said, always in the market for a part Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh there it is, there it is. But as we said, will they won't they? Could she be part of the umbrella?
Speaker 3: What I will say as a representative of the audience, I do have a feeling that for me will take this back in due time. I feel like we should give out our king space to express herself. But I do you think this is one of those things that give it about three to six months and some and some time, some time in the battlefield, and she'll come to know that partner is the only word that we all have.
Speaker 2: Mickey, any thoughts.
Speaker 1: You can call your boyfriend, your significant other, your man toy, whatever you want, man toy.
Speaker 2: You know there's no hate, only love me.
Speaker 1: What are you calling.
Speaker 2: Josh, Josh Josh?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Imagine she says she's bab with names, and I think it's a cop out until she does things like this.
Speaker 2: I'm team boyfriend. Yeah, Micky, I'll never call him partner. That's because me and Micky are the same time. So yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Still waiting for the day that I can actually call him six so Micky can just take my place and.
Speaker 2: That'll be the last day you come in radio. Froo men tho through me boo, mmmy les Mom.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and rooms on cater drumroll police Flex climate change. Yeah, it's the time that I came back and brought it up to the table.
Speaker 3: Climate change data and spooky and people aren't really talking about it as much as they should. Like, it's getting worse everyone almost weekly. Yeah, this is what I like. And I know you're getting bored of hearing it doomsday clock, ice caps melting, but like it's actually it's detrimental.
Speaker 1: So let's have to think about the law of acceleration really quickly. Yeah, I think we talked about this last week. There is a concept in AI. This will get back to the climate crisis, but just to make it to be more interesting. In AI, there's a thing called the law of acceleration. What that means is we make one bar of progress, and then another bar is added, and as each bar is added, the bars become bigger and faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for multiple it doesn't add it compounds.
Speaker 1: Compound interests the whole other topic we should talk about as women in stem. So essentially, I'm pretty sure climate change is the same thing, like one little effect.
Speaker 3: The canoe tipping theory is a good one for climate change.
Speaker 2: You've heard of that one.
Speaker 1: The same as the trigger in the law of acceleration with AI, which is that once it hits the level of human intelligence exponentially in a way that we could never comprehend. I saw a news article the other day that China had recorded a temperature of fifty two point.
Speaker 2: Two, which is insane, never before seen. It's like, it's very worrying and cold.
Speaker 1: Breaking, and it got me thinking, like I swear about a year ago or maybe.
Speaker 2: Less, all the people in Extension.
Speaker 1: Rebellion, Extinction Rebellion, Thanks Queen were throwing the soup and stuff at the paintings, also not damaging the paintings because they have a little tiny perspects box against them. Where's that energy gone?
Speaker 2: They got arrested. I mean like if I had, if I had less lose getting up.
Speaker 3: And happened, I feel like someone I'm in the room definitely needs to do something about this. Definitely comes back to the fact that, as you said, or as we're trying to infert, it can't be one, two, three, ten people trying to do change for everyone. It's a considered community effort. But I often think that what needs to happen is too much for the individual to comprehend. And also I think that we do a very good job of neutralizing extremes in our society.
Speaker 2: We do what we can.
Speaker 3: To make everything feel normal so we don't feel too uncomfortable. So Lockdown was a great example of that. It was the most absurd thing when it first got announced, and then by week one we're policing each other because we want to feel comfortable with our reality. So the sooner that we assimilate and the sooner that we just get on with it, the better we'll feel, and that's usually the priority.
Speaker 1: I also think that, like you say about comfort, we don't like thinking about death, and it's nice to just think, oh my god, today I'm going to eat Nando's, Like that's going to be what I'm thinking about, not the fact that like looking at climate change is essentially looking at all of our morality, which is that even if that does happen, we're not going to die anyway, which perhaps is like hopeful. I think the Barbie Movie's got to my head. I was driving the other day along so Thomas Mitchell Road, if you're familiar, and I was at the lights. I was in the right lane looking at about seven cars in front of me. I had this moment of lucidity where I was like, are the people in front of me people or cars? Like? Am I seeing these cars as disembodied vehicles or am I seeing the people inside? And I thought, you know, I have been prone in the past to road rage just comes naturally.
Speaker 3: Really, actually, I'm very surprising. I'm always surprised when people express anger. I think it's like, so cool, you're in touch with your emotions like that. Well, yeah, for a long time I was ringing back road. No, it's like an inability to emotionally regulate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's probably where it comes out. So I'm really trying to work on that. But I realized I really don't think of the people that are inside the cars. I literally judge you like. I noticed this because I saw someone in the car that I drive, and I automatically thought there'd be a certain type of person.
Speaker 2: But then I'm like, wait, that's me. Wait so okay.
Speaker 1: So I was like, this is a grandma car, like a sporty grandma and I was like, wait, but that's me.
Speaker 2: It was a moment of depersonalization, lucidity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's odd to your point, though, I often think about the people in cars, but to avoid interacting with them. Like one of my least favorite car feelings is when someone's driving right next to me.
Speaker 2: One of us needs to please wear some water.
Speaker 3: When you catch the one looking at you when you're behind them and you catch their eye in their mirror and I'm like, I don't if you can actually see me, but stop that, or like when you're both out of light and then you can tell someone's looking at you and my widows are down, the windows are coming up. Please, this is a safe space. I'm in my private chamber. Why are you trying to interact?
Speaker 2: So yeah, when I was, I definitely caused his attention.
Speaker 1: Oh, windows down, like positioning the angle the angle of my tune certain way so as to be the most snatched.
Speaker 2: I got over that I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 3: I'm so grateful that you would share this so candidly on National Radio.
Speaker 2: You are a brave woman, and it's thankless you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.