Speaker 1: Already and this is the Daily This is the Daily OS. Oh now it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Good morning, and welcome to the Daily OS. It's the Good News Podcast. On Saturday, the fifteenth of March. I'm Sam, I'm billy.
Speaker 1: Wait before we start, Happy birthday to Will I Am and Eva Longoria. I mean, what an incredible day to celebrate a birthday.
Speaker 2: Two visionaries.
Speaker 1: Thought I'd just throw it in there.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're a sucker for a celebrity birthday.
Speaker 1: I love a celebrity birthday. Yesterday it was Albert Einstein. Today it's Eva Longoria and Will I Am.
Speaker 2: We will get to today's good News stories in a minute, but just let's just remind ourselves that Albert Einstein's birthday is also on International Pie Day.
Speaker 1: I love that you're telling me this, as though I didn't tell you this.
Speaker 2: This was a billy.
Speaker 1: It's such a good fun fact. So his birthday, he was born on the fourteenth of March, which in the US, because of how they do their dates, is three point one four which math nerds out there will note that that is how the number of pie starts.
Speaker 2: And I guess that makes sense because if you think about my birthday I share it with Taylor Swift to Rocks Days. So you know, birthdays tell us a lot about who these people.
Speaker 1: Are who said that Destiny doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Destiny and her children. Now, let's go Destiny's child shocker. Aha, let's leave that. We're gonna leave that.
Speaker 1: It's gone very row.
Speaker 2: Billy. Let's go to some good news stories first. Now, Billy, you're gonna tell us this first story, and it's about an Australian man who's become the first in the world to be discharged from hospital with a mechanical harsh implant.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, so just to repeat that, So there is an Australian man in Sydney who has become the first in the world to be discharged from hospital with a mechanical heart implant. To be clear, Sam, you and I had a quick chat off Mike and you said that you were expecting this man in New South Wales to be walking around.
Speaker 2: Like a robot, like fully beeping at the Yeah, that's my vision.
Speaker 1: No, that's not happening. So the artificial heart, to be clear, it was only temporary. So the implant took place in November last year and he was discharged with the artificial heart in early February, but then the patient he received a real heart transplant in early March. So the idea was that the artificial heart was only in his body whilst they waited for a real heart to be ready to go in him. Hoes, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we know how hard it can be for organ donation and the limited time periods and the travel and the ways that it needs to be kind of the perfect medical match. Yes, so it's quite amazing that they've found a way to almost kind of extend that time frame with this sort of technology. Yes.
Speaker 1: So it stayed in him for one hundred and five days, which is the longest period in the world for a total artificial heart to be in a patient while again they wait for a heart transplant. Now by the Core, the American company that developed the total artificial heart, which is what it's called, said that the heart is a bridge to keep patients alive until a donor heart transplant becomes available.
Speaker 2: So the technology isn't built to be a permanent heart. We're not quite at that stage just yet, but you imagine that that's probably only a couple of decades away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine that is the long term goal, but at the moment it's a way to make sure that when there is a shortage that a person obviously can still live with an artificial heart in their body, because there are only six thousand donor hearts available globally each year.
Speaker 2: It would have been amazing to understand how he felt with that artificial heart in that one hundred and six day period. You know, what the rest of his body would feel like, how he would feel like when he was walking and talking. What a fascinating medical innovation. And I do think that if there has been a successful experience here, that we're going to see more and more of it. And how cool that it's all coming out of Australia.
Speaker 1: All coming out not just Australia, but New South Wales.
Speaker 2: I mean, wow, what a medical system.
Speaker 1: We are biased towards our own city, our own state, but that's okay, we can forgive ourselves for that. Okay, we are going to space. What do you have to tell us about what's happened in space this week?
Speaker 2: Well, there's nothing like discovering a new moon. There's nothing better, I'd say, But you know what is better? Discovering one hundred and twenty eight of them, and Saturn now has a total of two hundred and seventy four moons after astronomers discovered one hundred and twenty eight new moons orbiting the planet this week, and that means there is a new moon king. It was previously Jupiter, it is now Saturn. Astronomers from France, Canada, Taiwan, and the US we're monitoring the sky around Saturn for a couple of years between twenty nineteen to twenty twenty one and then again in twenty twenty three. And they released this discovery to the public last week, and they said these moons are only a few kilometers in size and are likely all fragments of a smaller number of original moons that were broken apart by violent collisions. Regardless of how we got there, Saturn is the new moon king. It now has almost twice as many moons than all the other planets combined. And Jupiter is now going to have to get used to being in second place.
Speaker 1: Wow, and what's Earth last place? We only have one?
Speaker 2: I do just have to stop you right there. Fact checking is a really important part of what we do here at TDA Astronomy. Not so much so I did just want to do a live Google search on that, and it does turn out that Mercury and Venus don't actually have a moon. So we're sitting not at the bottom here on Earth. We've got our moon. It's something to be proud of.
Speaker 1: Blessings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not as many as Saturn, but that's okay. Now, Billy, I wanted to talk to you about a new index that has come out this week, and it was the search for the world's most family country. And the inaugural winner of this title is Sri Lanka. So the index assessed twenty four different factors and the factors that they gave high priority to in creating this list was the cost of childcare and schooling, the average number of years of education completed, then some more general factors like social support, freedom, life expectancy, crime rates are the happiness indexes and Sri Lanka ranked first because it has a really low cost childcare and schooling system that produces some incredible outcomes. Just for the record, Australia ranked in ninth place, and essentially we dropped those places because of the relatively high cost of childcare and schooling. Here, Sri Lanka has achieved near universal enrollment at primary and lower secondary school levels, So basically any kid in Sri Lanka is part of the education system. Ninety two percent of the population aged fifteen above is literate, and when you take all of that into context with the lower socio economic status of the country, it really is a remarkable indication of the strength of the education system there. I do think it's important to note, even though this is a good news podcast, that Shri Lanka is a country that has endured a number of years of economic insecurity and conflict. This index really emphasized the education system elements of the country. Interestingly, the one thing that the Sri Lankan education system is struggling with when I was doing a little bit more reading, was the fact that they are not as strong at a university level because a lot of their university professors end up moving to other countries. And so that's the area they've really seemed to have nailed this kind of childcare and lower school age system, and now they're really working on enhancing their university system.
Speaker 1: And needing to incentivize teachers or professors to stay in the country and not book elsewhere exactly. Okay, so that is the wrap up of the good news that you might have missed from the week. Sam. We always end this by looking at recommendations. Do you have one for this week?
Speaker 2: Do footy is well and truly back AFL, which is my sport of choice, but you know NRL is back as well, and both games deserve love and respect, and you're viewing. But the thing that's made me really smile this week is watching all the clubs put up videos of players being told they're about to play their first games. And it is just every club tries to do something a little bit cute, whether it's you know, a surprise announcement in the middle of a training session or some fun challenge that the player has to do in front of the team, and if they win that challenge, they get to play their first game. But then it's always followed up with a video of the player then calling their parents and telling their parents they're about to play their first AFL game. And I'm not, you know, the most emotional of men, and that.
Speaker 1: I believe you haven't cried since time.
Speaker 2: That brings a slice, not a tear.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything for us?
Speaker 1: I do? This week? In my life has been defined by documentaries. I have fallen in love again with documentaries, and my favorite one that I've watched I am about two years late. But have you seen The Deepest Breath on Netflix?
Speaker 2: Free diving?
Speaker 1: Right, it's all about free diving, and it follows the story of the woman who holds the world record for free diving. She dives I'm not going to ruin it, but around the one hundred meter mark. It is the most extraordinary story. The storytelling of this documentary is just unmatched. It's absolutely exceptional. Just you cannot look away from this documentary. It was so good. In my opinion, there's nothing better than a really good documentary, and this one was just one of the best ones I've ever watched.
Speaker 2: We'll throw a link to that in the show notes. That's an incredible review of a doco.
Speaker 1: Well, it was something I knew nothing about.
Speaker 2: I feel like you were the type of kid who would have said, hey, mum, look at me, and then I'm going to hold my breath underwater. And then when you bobbed your head up, your mum goes, that's gray, sweetie.
Speaker 1: And then I had a full dance routine.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe this is exactly what happened. To the subject of that documentary, and here we are decades later and she's diving one hundred meters just to try and settle a score.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's definitely a very very competitive person.
Speaker 2: We're all looking at her now.
Speaker 1: In a very dangerous spot. But yet I cannot recommend highly enough.
Speaker 2: That's all we've got for today's episode of the Good News Podcast. If you want to sign up to our Good newsletter, I'll throw a link to that in today's show notes as well, that goes out on Sundays to get away some of those Sundays scaries. We'll be back with the regular news though on Monday morning with a bit of a deep dive and then your headlines as always in the afternoon. Have a wonderful weekend. We'll speak to you next week. See you later.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 2: My name is Lily Maddon and I'm a proud Arunda Bungelung Calcottin woman from Gadigol Country.
Speaker 1: The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gatighl people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torrestrate island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries both past and present,