Speaker 1: Hi Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura burn Bady.
Speaker 2: Your work, our windows done.
Speaker 3: That's my world.
Speaker 2: Reason the dust, only good tabs are all down.
Speaker 3: I don't much, but yet I'm not our big get and what I want it don't matter where goes.
Speaker 4: This is the pickup.
Speaker 1: Hi guys, it's the pickup with Britt Harkley and Laura Brn Britt, have you noticed how nice it is driving to work in the mornings.
Speaker 5: There's no traffic, yes, and no one parking near the school.
Speaker 2: We park up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we can get all day parking now because the school there's no parent traffic. But also for everyone, I hope you're all surviving school holidays. I had this realization only this morning, and that is that so growing up my mum she's a school teacher, right, and so every school holidays we were all just home together, family doing stuff. My realization is is that for most kids it's just not the case because if you have working parents, you.
Speaker 2: Gotta go to after school care or holiday.
Speaker 1: Care or whatever. And my six year old Marley, she's kind of cottoned onto it. This morning, she woke up and she.
Speaker 2: Was like, wait a second, it's meant to be school holidays. Why don't I even get a holiday? Why am I going to vacation care? And I realized just how rough it is for some kids. You're like, you spoil little I'm like, how dare you? M's gotta work.
Speaker 5: If my parents both worked, there are four of us.
Speaker 2: Where did you go?
Speaker 3: I think we just got like shipped out. I think we had to go to different friends' houses, nana's house. Yeah, because we didn't even really have a vacation care like we're at in Port Macquarry, and it was more like, I think sometimes went to an auntie's house, or we'd all go to a friend's house until my older brothers were old enough, and then they would stay home and look after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is true.
Speaker 1: It's changed now because kids can go to like a school holiday program, a soccer programer whatever. There's like so many different activities that did not exist in the eighties and the nineties.
Speaker 5: And was like ride your bikeer, but be home by so when the sun's setting, buck twice if you need her. And I was like, we just been for ourselves. I know we've been speaking a lot about weddings lately, but we are going to continue that now.
Speaker 2: No, you know.
Speaker 5: Bethany Frankel the Real Housewives of New York.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, I do. Well.
Speaker 3: She's just come out and admitted to making like a huge faux pas around one of her friend's weddings, and it's got people talking.
Speaker 2: Have a listen.
Speaker 1: I was today years old when I realized for the first time that.
Speaker 2: I wore a wait to my best friend's wedding.
Speaker 1: I never knew that rule.
Speaker 2: So I texted her today. She's on safari in Africa. I'm sorry, I just realized for the first time I've heard that I wore a wait to wedding. She goes, I didn't care what you were wearing. I was just happy you were there. I'm so embarrassed. Okay, firstly, she's talking like a creep.
Speaker 1: Also, what I'm getting from this is that the wedding must have been a long time ago. There's no way that she's through life not knowing you can't wear white to a wedding.
Speaker 3: No, it was when she was twenty five, so it was a long time ago. But also at twenty five, I know that there are all these rules around what you can and can't wear to a wedding.
Speaker 5: Now, I don't know if I believe in all of.
Speaker 3: Them, but I feel like the one rule that everyone knows is like, you don't wear white to a wedding. But the reason she was even thinking about this, it was based off the back of the Jeff Bezos's recent wedding.
Speaker 5: You know how everyone in Hollywood just went to it.
Speaker 3: Well, Kylie Jenner apparently was wearing like an icy blue dress. Now I didn't realize this, but when you wear icy blue sometimes when it's photographed, it looks white. So there's a picture here it does look like Kylie Jenner is wearing a white dress.
Speaker 5: I do think it's something should do.
Speaker 1: Imagine Kylie Jenner coming to your wedding and wearing a very distinctly white dress.
Speaker 5: Like she looks so hot too, of all things.
Speaker 1: You could wear, I mean, I think that this is something that comes up a lot, Brittany, at your wedding. One of our very close friends, Keisha, she wore a baby pink dress and it wasn't until when the photos were getting taken on the day that she was like, oh my god, the photos make my dress look white like she was.
Speaker 2: She looked very white.
Speaker 1: I also went to a friend's wedding where the sister in law was wearing a sparkly silver dress which shot like a wedding dress. And so when the bride and the sister in law were dancing on the dance floor and the videos came out, literally every comment in the comment section was like, oh my god, that person wore a wedding dress.
Speaker 3: Well, now there's all this kickoff about like what not to wear to a wedding, and I want to read you a few of them.
Speaker 5: Number one, very obvious white or whitish colors.
Speaker 3: Like champagne, very pale, pale blues or pinks, because they can shoot white.
Speaker 2: Pastels just to avoid Hey, well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't mind a pastel color, but it's not your fault if your dress shoots white when it's not. But I guess if it's so pale, like you read between the lines now, bridal party colors is number two. I don't think it's a big issue. If someone turns up in the same color that's me. Maybe I'm too laid back, they say that off you can tell from the color scheme of a wedding invitation, but I don't believe in that. A lot of wedding in whites are online. I did not put a wedding like a bridesmaid color on my invitation.
Speaker 1: And for reference, Britt, your bridesmaid color was yellow and produce a grace almost came in a butter yellow dress.
Speaker 2: Yeah so close. I'm so glad that you told me before the wedding that I actually.
Speaker 3: Went to my friend Eleanor's wedding Elena, she was on The Bachelor years ago.
Speaker 5: I don't know what made me do it.
Speaker 3: I had this beautiful green dress on that was very particular. I had pleats and it was my sister's bridesmaid's dress, and I was like, oh, I'll wear that again because I've never worn it.
Speaker 2: Isn't it like bright bright green? Yes it is.
Speaker 3: It's very specific green and I'd only ever worn it once. It's a beautiful dress, and I was like, I'll wear that. Last minute, I got changed because I thought it was a bit cold. Anyway, I turned up and they had the identical dress on. I would have been in the Bridesmaids show. I've done this though.
Speaker 1: No, look I mean in defensive people who have rocked up wearing a bridal party dress. The reason why is because a lot of brides, especially in Australia, they all use the same brand, because there's a couple of specific brands that make life the same dresses but in the same colors, like Shown a Joy for example. Anyone who's ever gotten married knows that bridesmaid dresses Shown a Joy got you covered. And I went to a wedding wearing Shown a Joy pinky colored dress, and so did the bridesmaids.
Speaker 2: Not my fault, Well the are the ones. Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I feel about this black. Some people are saying black sholdey just be a sign of morning. I had so many people in a black dress at my wedding. I gave my friend a dressed wedd a wedding this week there was black. Now this is the real kicker, and I feel personally attacked. I recently went to a red wedding, like a couple of weeks ago, and I wore bright red.
Speaker 5: Now I didn't know, but apparently.
Speaker 3: Bright red means you're either trying to upstage the bride or that you've slept with the groom. Like that's an old wives tale, and I actually feel mortified now because it was a European wedding, and I'm like, did I make a statement to the entire wedding that I have slept with a bride?
Speaker 2: You slept with the bride, I mean the groom?
Speaker 3: Okay, to be clear, To be clear, I didn't sleep with either of them, Like on the record.
Speaker 2: Do people care this much?
Speaker 5: That the real question I have?
Speaker 2: Don't you know that some people have strict dress codes.
Speaker 1: I know that some people are like, don't wear sequence and don't wear this, so long as you don't rock up to someone's wedding wearing a pair of jeans.
Speaker 2: I feel like ninety percent of this is stupid. It is, especially if it's your good friend or I don't.
Speaker 5: Know what it's not. It's just so dumb.
Speaker 3: It's like, I don't remember what people would to my wedding. Like, if there's fifty sixty eighty one hundred people at your wedding, the last thing that you were thinking about is look well for me is looking around at every guest and clocking and judging what they're wearing. I almost wouldn't be able to recall what half of you guys, and.
Speaker 1: You'd have you did have one rule on your wedding invite that was no patterns. And I saw an auntie or someone rock up in a dark blue and white patterned floral shirt and I.
Speaker 5: Was like, oh, that's your eyes. Some people didn't get the memo. The AUNTI is din't get the memo. That's okay. I let that one slide.
Speaker 2: Grit. I know I've talked about it a couple of times on this show.
Speaker 1: Now I probably should keep it to myself because look, it's personal, that's slightly embarrassing, but also maybe women should talk about it.
Speaker 2: And that is that my pelvic floor has.
Speaker 1: Been shot to well pieces, Yeah, it's been shot to pieces.
Speaker 2: It's left the chat here.
Speaker 1: And now I just if I surprise sneeze or surprise laugh or something kids me and I find I have a good.
Speaker 2: Gig, or just walk or I try and do a box jump.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, I will wet my pants in a spectacular way.
Speaker 5: And is it getting worse throughout the pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unfortunately, Like as this baby's getting bigger, so also is the accidents that I'm having in my pants.
Speaker 2: Laura, did I wish I could? I actually do not care at all to talk about.
Speaker 3: Like friends stealing thunder at your wedding and stuff. Laura stole my thunder in a different way. She like wet herself as I was about to walk down the aisle.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know if there's anyone on this planet that would refer to that as stealing someone's thunder. If anything, I think they'd be deeply mortified.
Speaker 3: No, we had to put the ceremony on pause Becauselaura, we had to take room.
Speaker 2: But like, guys, stop the song.
Speaker 5: La was the ceremony.
Speaker 2: You'll be glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: After that, I actually I went to a GP, a new DP I've never seen before, because I was like, maybe I should start doing some keegels or something like, start doing some sort of exercises so that that's not an absolute train wreck. After I give birth to this kid, and I went in and it was a new doctor. And I don't know if you've ever experienced this yet, but usually I find, i'm thirty eight years old, that doctors are often older than me, you know, like I'm used to having like an old man who seems very wise, or an old female doctor who seems very wise. If anything, they are sometimes a similar age, but usually I would say most doctors I've been to see her in their forties or fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this doctor I went in and saw I was quite young. I would add a guest say that she was a gen z. And I spoke to her about my pellet floor, which I'm sure she's never had to experience herself, which is absolutely fine.
Speaker 2: She seems very well researched in it.
Speaker 1: But what she did say about my uterus could have been taken as an offense.
Speaker 2: But truly it didn't even touch the sides.
Speaker 1: She said to me, as she was trying to describe what happens to your uterus when you've had your third kid and how like stretched out and floppy and stuff it is. She goes, you know what happens when you've had more than two kids. Think about your uterus as like a tent. It's got no poles, there's nothing to hold it up. And that's actually a good analogy.
Speaker 5: I mean, unfortunate for you.
Speaker 1: I know it's an unfortunate analogy, but very accurate. I sat there looking at her, and I was like, Wow, I think you're actually bang on, But you probably could have.
Speaker 2: Found a nice way of saying that to me.
Speaker 3: I mean, to be fair, I sort of don't mind it because I mean, I'm a visual person, so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that gives me exactly what I need. But it's so funny you say this.
Speaker 3: I was like stuck in a thread on Reddit or something the other day that was talking about gen Z doctors specifically. The crazy thing is gen Z doctors are like twenty eight. So when you said your doctors are usually older, that's because we're now older.
Speaker 2: They also, I want.
Speaker 1: This to be very clear, in no disrespect to any doctor who's a gen Z like, you've done the hours, you've done the study, you're well and truly qualified. You just have a different lingo and we're all here for it. Actually, we do have a grab from something that's going around at the moment.
Speaker 2: Have a little listen to this.
Speaker 4: So yesterday I had my first experience with a gen Z doctor, and if you have not had one yet, brace yourself. We went to urgent care because I've I fainted again. But the doctor comes in and she's like, yo, dog, you passed out four times in the past forty eight hours.
Speaker 5: You need to go to the emergency room. By ambulance. That is verbatim what the doctor said to me.
Speaker 2: Oh godually, I'm I'm all for this.
Speaker 5: Some of the thread was so funny.
Speaker 3: Someone said, I had a gen Z nurse tell me in ICU that, hey, your pancreas has left the chat, which basically means that the pancreas is dead. As a millennial nurse, getting gen Z residents come through my unit.
Speaker 5: Is always comical. One looked at a brain scan and said, bra, that's it, she goes, I knew it was bad.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure that that's what that woman said about my uterus as well.
Speaker 2: I left the building.
Speaker 5: This one.
Speaker 3: I told a gen Z doctor that my knee was locked. He said, hmm, I don't know what that's about, but it sounds like a red flag.
Speaker 5: That's pretty funny. Wow, I'm all about it.
Speaker 3: I think, Hey, whatever way you want to communicate, If you want to tell me that my organs are dying by leaving the chat, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm all for it. It just makes me feel old, that's pretty much it. That's all that I'm taking away from this. And you know what, would also indicate that the fact that I keep paying my pants and that.
Speaker 5: You forget your husband's birthday, and uh, we can write a little list.
Speaker 1: One thing that I was particularly bad at when I was in the throes of dating. Thank god I am now married and had to go on a reality TV show to find my husband, But that was the break up part. I feel like I hung on to dear life to all of my relationships. I've said this before, until I drove those things so far into the ground that they were dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were so dead. They were lifeless and limp and sad.
Speaker 1: But I also like, really struggled with the breaking up part of a relationship.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter if I.
Speaker 1: Was dating someone for two days or two years, Like I almost impossible, And I think it's because I'm quite conflict avoidant.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's easier to be on the receiving end of a breakup or the breaker up erer depends on how blindsided you are.
Speaker 1: I think there's no person that's ever gone through a really bad breakup that's going to sit here and say getting broken up with is way easier. But I think for some people there are personality types that find doing the breaking up incredibly Like I say, in a relationship for an entire.
Speaker 2: Year, knowing that it was over, but I could not bring myself to break up with him.
Speaker 1: But the reason I want to talk about this is because if you were in the early stages of dating and you're finding it particularly hard to do the breaking up with someone when someone doesn't seem right, I came across an article that has a full proof formula for how to break up with them. And as someone who did quite a bit of dating but also quite a bit of breaking hearts skill, for.
Speaker 3: What you were going to say, there's someone who are shopped around, someone has been prolific in the dating sphere for yeah.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: But I also think you, and in all the conversations we've had over the last six years about friendship, you have been really good at calling things off when it doesn't serve you.
Speaker 3: It gets easier tried and tested. It's one of those learned traits that you have to spend time doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, hear me out.
Speaker 1: I'm mean to run you through and you can tell me what pointer is, dismisses or you know what you would do differently. So this is your perfect breakup text. Write this down, guys, put this as your bible. If you're in the dating throwsk okay. Firstly, start with a hello in their name.
Speaker 2: Know nothing.
Speaker 5: Hi Frank.
Speaker 1: No no nice names like if you've called them babe or anything like that. None, None, that's going babe, you suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't do that. Okay.
Speaker 1: Small gratitude like had a really nice night the other night, right, something that's like, you know, or thanks for picking that restaurant, I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Something really simple to the point.
Speaker 1: Next one, get to the point kindly and as honestly as possible, which is very simply, something like had a really great time. I'm not feeling it with you, you know, I hope that you find what is that you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's got too much. I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I could see you even getting off Lauria are getting uncomfortable reading them.
Speaker 1: Then it says end on a positive note, something like you know, I wish you all the best. I really enjoyed getting to know you, even though you're giving them a shit sandwich and telling them that you really didn't enjoy it that much. And then number five, the friend opt in. I think that this one is the important one. The friend opt in where you say, but we could still be friends. You only say it if you really mean it, Like, if you're actually going to pursue a friendship, then you can throw that line in.
Speaker 3: If you're sending these breakup texts like after one or two dates, don't throw the friend thing in.
Speaker 2: Just cut your losses, really.
Speaker 5: Unless you need a new best friend.
Speaker 1: Some people do collect friends though, some people that go on single like you know, one or two dates and then they collect a friendship.
Speaker 5: Tally. Yeah, we have a friend that does that. That's what we give her a hard dive all the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I want to give you three one liners and brit tell me what you think when you're actually going into like the breakup part of the text, I'm not feeling a deeper connection here.
Speaker 2: Blunt to the point.
Speaker 1: Another option, however, I don't see this progressing further between us, blunt also to the point.
Speaker 2: Third one.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I'm just not feeling a romantic connection between us.
Speaker 5: Have you heard of kiss?
Speaker 3: Like the analogies, don't kiss them with kiss? Keep it simple, stupid. You can use it in any aspect of life. Keep it simple, stupid a compliment. Sandwich, short and sweet. Hey, Frank had a really nice time at dinner last night. It was lovely to meet you. I just don't see it going anywhere. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the connection or I don't think we have what I'm looking for.
Speaker 5: I hope you have a great weekend. See you later.
Speaker 3: No friend, nothing compliment, sandwich, short and sweet, thank them for a nice time.
Speaker 5: It's not you, it's me. They're great, and.
Speaker 3: Then get the hell out of there. It's okay, and I think people get I got way.
Speaker 5: Better at it, like after the decade of doing it.
Speaker 3: It's really hard at the start, but once you realize that there are a billion people in the world like you going on a date with Frank that you met online, the odds are there.
Speaker 5: Is no connection, like your odds is more stacked against you. It's not personal. It's like two people didn't quite match. I think it's okay.
Speaker 3: And I think we take too much pressure on ourselves for like breaking someone's heart.
Speaker 5: He's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Okay For me, I was someone who was very guilty of doing the ghost not proud of it now, but I was a ghoster. I was just if it was one or two dates and I wasn't into it, I'd just go quiet. I don't think that that's the right way of handling it. And now that I'm older, more mature, and if I could go back and live my life again, I would do it differently. But tell me, do you think that after one date someone deserves a text message?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And how many dates do you think you need to go on before it's not a text message anymore?
Speaker 2: It's a phone call.
Speaker 5: It can always be a text.
Speaker 2: No, unless you're married.
Speaker 3: No, I mean if you're exclusive, and it's more than like a couple of dates, but a couple of dates in it can be a text one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently according to this relationship expert, they said, no more than if five dates, if you've been on five dates, if that's a phone.
Speaker 2: Call, or you could just ghost.
Speaker 5: No, don't don't take Lawa's advice.
Speaker 2: Alright, guys, Well that is it from us.