Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV.
Speaker 2: Reload, the podcast last Deep Neby.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Colin Fastenedje from MKR, which starts this week on Channel seven. I always love catching up with Colin and today is just as fun as any other time that you get to have a yarn with him. Colin will share why each season is different and what to expect from this late season. We talk about everyone from Pete Evans to Manu and how Colin keeps his chemistry fresh with his long standing co host. I will also discuss the villain edit on reality shows and find out why Colin was called a villain for years. On MKR, you will get basically everything from who Colin's favorite contestant is this year, two answers about his future on the show. There is so much to talk about with so many inside revelations, So guys sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of MKR Australia. Hi, Colin, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm very well.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to another season of MKR. Yeah, Bigger and Better bigger and better, which is so good. Do you ever think this will be my last season? Or do you just think that this is your life for the rest of your life?
Speaker 2: Every year I think that because it's TV's one of those worlds you're in and then you're not in. So every year I do it. I say, how lucky am I to get to do this?
Speaker 1: And then you ask for more money.
Speaker 2: There's no more money out there, bro not on this day and age.
Speaker 1: You know, when it comes to making this show, all of the seasons feel quite different, you know. I was actually tapping back into episodes of seasons gone by, and each season kind of has its own flavor.
Speaker 2: It does. Some flavors were sweet, somewhat a little bit sour. I think we've got the perfect recipe now, especially after me and mine who coming together full time last year. We've sort of worked out, you know, what works well, and I think we've got a groove now.
Speaker 1: How would you describe the flavor then of this season for Australia who hasn't had a chance to see it.
Speaker 2: Yet, I would say it's what would a fun flavor be, Like a fruity flavor with a little bit of spice and a tinge of sour, which is which is a good mix because you don't want too much of the soeur.
Speaker 1: No, you don't want it.
Speaker 2: But what I will say is from the first night I walked in, which is the odd where you see Hannah scream. That's the first moment we met the table and that take. Normally they take a while to warble. This team was on. It was like a volcano. They were all just firing and we were just we just sat there and was like, Wow, this is going to be a great season.
Speaker 1: Hannah's a little bit like social lubricant, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like she's like as she's a beautiful girl, but she's very loud.
Speaker 1: But do you know that her best friends her grandmother, And you've now worked out that the reason why her best friends her grandmother is because her grandma needs hearing aids and she probably turns.
Speaker 2: We sometimes I wish I either hear a a how goold?
Speaker 1: Would that be just between takes? You could just turn it down, but just maybe left on the channel with Minu to hear what's going on with him?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't understand him, so it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: You know, last year, a lot of viewers complained though, that the show was too short, that it's too short these days. I don't know if you read that, but it would have to be one of the most positive negative comments I've ever read about a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because that does all the shows and all the channels that go for six months and they're only building a cupboard or something logo or a wall. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this season. That's all I'm going to say. There is so many twists and turns in this in a positive way. People would be happy this year. Someone will complain and about something burn in my hair. I cut my hair. It's a bit. It was a bit longer then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know. I always been there for your hair because I always I'd love for my hair to be able to do what your hair does. But everyone always wants what someone else's hair is doing, you know what I mean, Like, you'd probably prefer to have some straight hair by now.
Speaker 2: I tried the straight hair. I look like a lego man did work?
Speaker 1: How long were you shooting for this year? Was it a longer shoot than last year?
Speaker 2: All I'm going to say is it's a longer shoot. Okay, so we as they say, like a politician, we have listened to the people.
Speaker 1: Okay. I like that, and people listening to this podcast will be excited about that. Because people were even riding into me like I'm some sort of complaint network, and I was like, you know what, it's a good thing. They left you wanting more.
Speaker 2: People were stopping me in the supermarket and complaining, and I'm like, I am a small cog in a giant whale. Tell the wheel.
Speaker 1: I think it's because they're comparing it to back in the day when you know, Pete Evans and everyone was there and it was long. Oh I know you're still talking to him.
Speaker 2: Pete's a friend of mine. Is good people's But them days worth like six months on the road, and I think that was fourteen seasons ago, and I came on like the third year, so I was in my forties May and my now fifty one. The work life balance, you've got to sort of get on top of it, because we're we're on the road a lot. And all I'm saying is we're on the road a lot longer this year than last year. You know, you missed your family, you miss your kids, You're like I missed my daughter's netball final, I missed a birthday party. But that's that's work on the road, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they all understand that though, because there's the novelty of your celebrity dad.
Speaker 2: They don't. That's the problem. My kids have asked me to give up TV, have they because I'm cringe.
Speaker 1: How old are your kids now? Are they at that age where they're like, oh, dad, please go away.
Speaker 2: If this goes to prince, I'm going to name them. So it's Lily May fast and shoes thirteen and Lily fastening shoes fifteen next week and they go to Saint Claire's. So everyone embarrassed my daughters.
Speaker 1: You know, I can tell you from the trajectory of knowing people that have celebrity parents, there is this teenage era where they think it's really cringe. But then later on they do come back, and that's when you've got to cut them off because then they might become a little bit too obsessed with you.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I did. I made them lie on the floor the to day. Why I said, look at the roof the low worse because that's what's paying for it, so it'll be quiet.
Speaker 1: Do you want to go to a good school? Come on? Yeah. I always think of home cooking to be very personal, and I actually think having people into your home can also be quite revealing when it comes to finding out people's real personalities, and I think that's where MKR really shines. Do you think this show showcases the contestants in a way that's different to say, other cooking shows.
Speaker 2: I don't think there is any other cooking shows. When I'm watch them, there's onus. And but I mean, like, look at last year we had Rada and Fraba who actually took out the show, and they tell us deep and personal stories and I end up crying on national television. And that's not my That's not my style. Sometimes food is a great conveyor of I actually I can't remember who it was. Well, they did a rose lamb dish and I hate the crackling from the lamb, and it immediately transported me back to age twelve. In my I was my dad cooking on a Sunday morning because he always did roslam. So food has always got those stories, and just when you think you know everything, another story pops up, or another method of cookery or that's that's the beauty of food.
Speaker 1: I always wonder about the fact that you know, you mentioned last year's winners. You know, we've had so many seasons of MKR. Do you kind of feel in some way that you pick up new children because we're talking about your own real children. But you know, by doing this season, i'd imagine you, knowing you as well as I do, that you would still keep the phone open and still keep talking to these one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent Like I've caught up with Dan and Steph and then they actually had their they from their winnings, they actually got IVS and had their baby. And there's a lot of contestants still talk to there's so much of your block. Well, there's a lot you still talk to. You're like a school teacher.
Speaker 1: I mean, my mum's a school teacher and she would never talk to the kids ever again. She would always think it's true she loved the naughty kids. My mom would always say, I love I loved the naughty kids, and she would be so in died and then they would come up to her years later and she would be like, oh no, I can't talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your more more to love me.
Speaker 1: Yeah she did. I was the naughty kid. So I think it was you know, her having to look after the naughty kids's payback for what I was doing to the other teachers in the neighboring classrooms. What is your actually, that's a good question. What is the best advice you can offer for people who are coming into this show, because I know when people are applying, they always want some tips on what's probably going to get them across the line.
Speaker 2: I think like, be you, because a lot of people get in there and then think they have to put on a shell or airs and racism, try and be someone else or impress. And I think most of the people who've downed and worn have stayed true to themselves. There's always a couple of shell ponies who exit pretty quick. And it is a cooking show, and so I put love into your cooking. That's what it's about. That's what gets you over the line. You can talk it over good game all you want, but if you don't produce food with love that tastes good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know this show has gone away. I feel I mean, you still have your polarizing personalities, but I do feel like you've sort of drifted away from villainous contestants. And I'm curious about what you think of the media calling people villains on reality shows, because you've probably had a few polarizing people. But do you think that's stereotype and calling someone a villain?
Speaker 2: Mate? I was called a villain of MKR for the first four years. I did it because I was opinionated, and I think when the media jumps in and calls people villains, they were probably the people I got on with the most because they were like myself, They had an opinion, and they were in beige and I'm not really into beije people. So yeah, as you say to Charlotte moved away. Myself and Manu had a big impact in Inda as in saying we don't want to be part of this because it got to a stage years ago where my wife would let me kids watch a show that I worked six months on and I'm like, well, what who am I doing this for? What's the point. So we made a conscious decision, as did the network, and after COVID, people don't want this, you know, horribleness, and they want niceness, and that's what food is about, is niceness. Obviously there will be conflict over at dinner table make Christmas dinner at your house. Dot's conflict over at dinner table, but then you resolve it, you move.
Speaker 1: On, and you then move on to the pudding, you know what I mean? Like, I think you want to end with something as much sweeter. I think that the evolution of this show is very interesting because there were some very high rating seasons when the show was about polarizing characters in a bit of drama, and it kind of has moved in a different direction to that. And if you speak to the true MKR fans, they are loving this evolution. They're kind of liking where it has gone. And maybe you're right, maybe I think it.
Speaker 2: Do you know what it is? It's because me and my new one L fifty one, same age, we've both got like teenagers as kids, and it's how do you want to be reflected and what you want them to see? You know what I mean? It's like what's going into their head is as good as what's going into your body, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree. I'm in the chemistry as well. Just talking about you two being in your fifties, I think that the chemistry is almost better every year that we see you guys together. I'm curious about how you invest in making sure that still happens, because, like you know, with any work colleague, you can sort of fall out with them, and when your vision you really can't because you need it to still be good. What do you do to try and massage? The menu massaging? And I'm just trying to get that out of my head, but I actually my massage. Now do you say, yesterday we went to this place in New Zealand because we're in New Zealand together at the minute, and I actually had to put some play on them.
Speaker 2: We had a clay Bart massage. I think it's like any we say, well, like a married coup or whatever the benefits put it that way. We're on the road eight months together and there's always times it's touchy and you know when to say something and when not to say something. We live beside each other, we have Christmas together and get on which is a problem because you know, you know when they get it, when they get on the sauce, we just get nails. Well, of course, so we are, we're friends and we work together and then but also when we get onto the MK, it's a job. Like people say, oh, you're so looking like there's so much trouble goes in the crew? Are there a lot before us and a lot later than us? So like we've got the easy bit. So when you get in there, you do the job, be a professional. And if you can't do that, don't do the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go and do something else? What about just before you go? I need to ask you, can you I know people don't like playing favorites, they really don't, but I really need you too, because I want you to tease what's happening this year? Do you have a favorite contestant? And if you can't say that, can you tell me.
Speaker 2: Who you do? I do and I will tell you. So we've got Mike and Pete. Right, Mike looks like pee wee harmon, remember that guy from years ago? Very much. Mike has got Mel filter. And there was days I would I would wake up in the morning and go, I'm tired, like do I really want to go to work? And then I got Mike's going to be there. So Mike, Mike and Mel filter. And at the start, I'm going, this little guy's gonna wind me up. And by the end I was like, Mike, come in and give me a home.
Speaker 1: That's the best I actually been. I'm up to episode five. Yeah, I'm obsessed. I mean, I did love Hannah when she was on Big Brother, so I kind of know her from that and seeing her come onto this show, so you know, I feel like she's in the Big Brother family, so I have to be saying that. She's also pretty good.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know she was on that show, which is probably good.
Speaker 1: Talk about that because I think it's great because we don't really remember her being on that show and we get fresh take.
Speaker 2: On her being in this Yeah, Hannah's a great girl. Because I got daughters and all that, you sort of want to look after them, but she was a good girl.
Speaker 1: Before you go. The last thing I ask everyone joins the Pods the last question, what is something from behind the scenes of this year this season, something like a behind the scenes secret or crazy anecdote.
Speaker 2: What have you got for me behind the scenes? Well, me, me and money. You have to spend a lot of time in a trailer together at the bank on time. Wouldn't taught it. And he you know those campra vans where you got the bit where you sleep on the top, Yeah, he would sleep in there. In between takes a.
Speaker 1: Snare if they leave his microphone on, no.
Speaker 2: One wants to hear him snore, snore and fast.
Speaker 1: Well that's a different show. I have to say, I absolutely love always talking to you. Are so real, you're so genuine, and you're so fun on this show. So thank you for taking the time and being so generous with it and talking to me today, and good luck with the season.
Speaker 2: Leisure, thanks for your support.
Speaker 1: Maybe talk to chat to you next year, roll around again
Speaker 2: Hopefully see you again, See you mate,