Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 2: Come on there, Hello Australia.
Speaker 3: We're on HALLO. Happy Tuesday, High ladies.
Speaker 2: Can you see my hands?
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm pointing to you, Britt, I'm pointing to you, Laura. I have French chips for the first time in my life.
Speaker 3: You have the stubbiest nails.
Speaker 4: And I say that with all love, But you have the nails of someone who has been biting the nails since they came out of the womb.
Speaker 1: I've been a very anxious kid. I was a very anxious baby too. No, I have been a nail bit in my whole life. And how this show works is normally, if we want to talk about something, we do it later in the show. But producer Grace said, absolutely not. We're not talking about the fact that you're no longer biting your nails. So I've said it without anything. I said it live, so no one can. I'm going like, really.
Speaker 2: Rogue, what made you stop?
Speaker 1: There was a bit of gun under it and I tasted it and it was frowl and I had to decide that's that's that's the line. So I actually went into chemists warehouse and I got some of that. Aunt read stop by stop By.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the nails stop By. It's the best.
Speaker 2: It works, So my mouth tastes discussing. But I've got French tips, French tips, they are French dips.
Speaker 4: And I'm proud of her than having e COLEI underneath your nails.
Speaker 2: The radio bosses are walking in with pitchforks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, upset, I might not be able to do the show soon. And I say this because I am getting censored everyone. My mother in law, she has just recently retired, and she used to be a school teacher, so she never ever ever could listen to the pick. This is Mattie J's, my beautiful mother in law. We've had her on the show a few times. Well, she's now retired and she's now listening to every show. And I got a real dressing down after something I said that went very wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh god, all right, can't wait to hear about that. Let's go that's next. As we start to pick up for your Tuesday AVO. Here at Chemists Warehouse today, I get great savings every day. I'm just rubbing my nails together at Billy Parton because I've got friends. It's disgusting, Mitchell, back after this, you guys.
Speaker 4: Might remember the other day Britain mitche I was talking about when I was coming to work and how I almost died.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean that, lad, I remember so dramatic.
Speaker 1: So painful about it Too's me that was just like a lot like you didn't almost die.
Speaker 4: I did. It was my closest near death experience. I was almost run over in the street by maniac. Okay, I have listen to this all right.
Speaker 3: Picture this.
Speaker 4: I just dropped the kids off of daycare and I had a coffee in one hand, I had my phone on the other hand.
Speaker 3: I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the road.
Speaker 4: It was a pedestrian crossing, and so, believe it or not, I kind of assume that when you approach a pedestrian crossing, cars stop. It's like the Red Sea. You think they're just gonna part ways for you to cross it. Out of my periphery, it feels like the car that's coming is coming too fast. I look up and there it is this ninety year old lady in a Mercedes with all her windows down, fanging.
Speaker 3: It straight across the pedestrian cross and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, this is one of two things. She either probably shouldn't have a license, or she has such little time left she doesn't care.
Speaker 2: So you're rubbishly of the country.
Speaker 4: It was almost runnen down and flattened by a geriatric No, I was you went looking.
Speaker 3: It was your fault.
Speaker 5: You have to look left, right and left, even at a crossing.
Speaker 4: I don't know it was a pedestrian crossing anyway. Okay, that's not what happened here. So my beautiful mother in law, Ellie, she's moving in with us and she's just come down to stay with us for a little while. We love, we love Ellie. We've had her on the show many times. And I walked in I hadn't seen Ellie for a little while, and she said, Laura Burne, I have a bone to pick with you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: What's happened is that Ellie has recently retired. She used to be a school teacher, so she never ever listened to the pickup before. So we have spoken about Ellie many times on the show. I get to tell stories, I can speak freely knowing that my mother in law is never going to hear. But the tables have turned because now she's listening to every single show, and she had some real feelings about the fact that I was on my phone and crossing a p.
Speaker 2: So what did she say to you? She's scolding you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I got scolded like a teenager, like I was a naughty little girl, and she told me how wrong I was.
Speaker 3: And I still know. I stand by this. I know you shouldn't check.
Speaker 4: Your phone when you're near the road, but people need to stop if they're coming to a pedestrian crossing.
Speaker 3: That's why the lines are there.
Speaker 5: Laura, you can't constantly blame other people for your mistakes and also take this as a compliment.
Speaker 3: She likes you. She doesn't want you to die, she wants you to stay married.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, Ellie, Wait wait, Matt's mom's SAME's Ellie, Ellie and she listens to the pick up every day. Hold on, producer, Grace is just I think, as Ellie called.
Speaker 3: Through, We've got Laura's mother and Laura.
Speaker 4: Ellie mom, stop embarrassing me.
Speaker 6: If you no, no, no, no, no, you do not listen. I am so really, I'm so cross. First of all, my darling girl, you are now the mother of two beautiful girls to adore you, and you have a husband who'd be lost without you. So tell me, please, why you were walking across a road while looking at your phone.
Speaker 4: Yes, Laura, yeah, tell us because I didn't think it's going to be an intervention time, because it was a pedestrian crossing and I didn't.
Speaker 6: Laura Burn, you will stop there because it is not a magical accident free zone with some invisible armor plated protection. You do not realize how many insane drivers are out there who are probably looking at their own phones. Now, you know what, as much as I am cross with you because we love you too much for you to die some ridiculous death, and I'm not here to pick up the pieces, Laura Burn, no, I.
Speaker 3: Know, and also Matt would be very sad to lose me.
Speaker 6: What I do think though, I kind of pleased that you've raised it in a way because I think there is a valuable lesson here for young people. They can wear their headphones on the bus, on the train, in the park, skate park, whatever, on the beach, but when you are navigating busy streets, headphones don't have a place.
Speaker 4: Wow, Ellie, I love you to death. You are hopefully not to death. Hopefully I stay alive for a long time.
Speaker 5: Is what we'retablished, but no, you were trying to establish nobody dies.
Speaker 3: You are such a mom through and through.
Speaker 4: And now I'm a little bit scared to come home, like I'm to be in trouble in my own.
Speaker 1: Are you scared to interrupt? I want to let Ellie say everything she needs to say.
Speaker 5: I am literally hanging on every single word, and I feel like I'm being scolded Simultaneously, I'm like, what have I been doing wrong?
Speaker 3: Has Ellie been listening to me as well?
Speaker 2: Ellie? Do you have it? You listen to the show every day?
Speaker 7: Pree with you, britt Law.
Speaker 6: You cannot blame that geriatric driving.
Speaker 4: I stand by if someone needs to take her license away. But Ellie, if you keep this up, we'll take you all away as well.
Speaker 1: You I don't get love Ellie.
Speaker 6: Now you must promise me, Laura Burns, that when you approach a road, your mobile phone is not in your hand. Can you promise me that.
Speaker 2: Put your hand on your heart.
Speaker 4: I promise Ellie Johnson, mother in law, my lovely mum, that.
Speaker 3: I will not be on my phone anymore.
Speaker 4: And I also, if I ever have a story to tell, where I think I'm going to get in trouble on the pick up.
Speaker 3: Myself from now on that.
Speaker 2: She's still Ellie.
Speaker 1: We don't have a time where people have to be picked up from school. I love you, I love you, Ellie. That is Mattie Jay's mother Ellie. There everyone, Wow, britt was that was a lot.
Speaker 5: Mitch and Laura speaking of geriatrics the Gold Coast. Don't call Ellie that I'm not. I'm about to tell you about one. The Gold Coast Volunteer of the Year last year has started a petition and written into the mayor to ban something from our Ozzie Beaches, something that I don't think should be banned.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to tell you all about it after the break.
Speaker 2: All right, next on the pickup, Mitch and Laura.
Speaker 5: There is a fierce debate going on around Australia today, but it is centered around the Gold Coast beaches.
Speaker 3: Now, there is this man. His name's Ian.
Speaker 5: He was the Volunteer of the Year in twenty twenty two, so this is like an upstanding citizen and he has recently started a petition. He's written into the Mayor of the Gold Coast. He wants to ban wait for it, he wants to ban g sturing bikinis from our beaches because he feels inappropriate when he looks at them and he thinks they're a bit much. Now, not only does he feel this way about bikinis, but he's also said he feels equally is uncomfortable by active wear like tight, like a girl that's walking past in tight yep, tight workout clothes, and he thinks they shouldn't be allowed to be on our beaches.
Speaker 3: And it started a bit of a kickoff. Wait, so what has happened here then?
Speaker 4: So like is this actually being like, is this actually a possibility?
Speaker 3: Has it been rejected? Is it going aid? Is there a petition?
Speaker 1: Why are we listening to Terry the volunteer of the Year, which is probably a self nominated award?
Speaker 2: Can I just say his name was Ian?
Speaker 6: Mitch?
Speaker 2: Don't? I don't remember Ian's name?
Speaker 1: Why does a he have to change based on what one volunteer wants because it makes him uncomfortable that he sees a woman.
Speaker 3: He's obviously the social vigilante.
Speaker 4: I mean like he's you know, he's volunteering hard, he's starting petitions. I mean, look, bikinis are getting smaller and smaller and smaller.
Speaker 3: They really are.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you go down Bondo Beach, they are almost miniscule these days.
Speaker 1: I've read the official complaint. I've got the applepavit that he submitted to the Gold Coast Mayor. He says he documents an incident with a woman who was, apparently these are his words, as close to naked as anyone could be walk past him recently. Mister Grace claimed he inadvertently looked at her, writing that while it was a pleasant view, she was sending the wrong message.
Speaker 3: I'll stop here, get off your high horse in.
Speaker 2: But just remember he inadvertently looked at her too.
Speaker 4: It was inadvertent and the view was pleasant, but he is outraged by the view.
Speaker 2: He outraged what he felt down below well.
Speaker 5: He also went on to say that while he did see earlier in the day a woman in very tight active wear and swimwear, and then he ended up being served coffee by her at the local coffee shop, and he didn't couldn't look her in the eye because he's like, oh my god, I feel like I have I feel like I'm violating you because I saw you half naked on the beach before.
Speaker 3: So he's got a.
Speaker 5: Real problem with people in tight clothes and nudity. But I just think, come on, like, we're a nation of beaches.
Speaker 3: We can't ban swimwear.
Speaker 4: I also think that this is I mean, look, I know that there's going to be a lot of people listening who probably think that some bikinis are getting too small.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, men can walk around in a pair of speedos, a tiny pair of speedos, nipples out, chest out, hairy legs out, hairy chest out. No one's complaining. Sometimes I feel violated in the eyes because I have to look at it down at the swimming baths. But I mean, do you know what, Let people wear and do whatever the hell they want to.
Speaker 1: I'm all for free speech, I'm all for Ian protesting removing bare bums on the beaches. But speaking of feeling uncomfortable, I inadvertently looked at this photo of Ian and I feel I feel well and I feel sick. I'm sorry, But if you put a white wig on a like little pussy cat wig like Mary J.
Speaker 2: Blige would wear on a beach troop, that would be Ian.
Speaker 4: You don't stop it, no, don't produce, just not on the name calling poor Ian, it's not about that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a big bikini wearer, and I'm upset that he wants to strip me of my simple pleasuring.
Speaker 4: Life, of your right to wear a bikini at the beach and get those beautiful buns out, sons out.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: I don't have to got a link craft and wrap myself in like a bed sheet to get a bikini working.
Speaker 2: But it is stop it.
Speaker 3: Look, we're not about double standards.
Speaker 5: If men are walking around in budget smugglers with their nipples out, it's all right for women to walk around with a skimpy little bikini on end of actually.
Speaker 1: A very good point brief, and he has no problem with men doing it because he's not inavertently looking down there. But it's when women are sexualized that he is upset by it.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, But also, I mean there's so many look to be fair. Reading through some of more of Ian's quotes, I think that Ian might be the problem here. He's overtly sexualizing young girls at the beach who are just wearing a bikini.
Speaker 3: Ian, grow up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Can we question why Ian spending so much time at the beach looking at younger women.
Speaker 3: Because he enjoyed the view but he's outraged.
Speaker 1: In is that any one hotel? Or is Ian just walked in the room? All right, everyone, Next on the show, Divina Rankin is joining us now. You may remember Devina Rankin from Married at First Sight twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: She was married to that grasshopper of a guy what was his name?
Speaker 4: Cares about him about Maths at the moment. But Divina twenty eighteen, she's got a whole new thing happening. And look her life has been revolutionized by celibacy.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, that is next here on the ian Ian I'll love her? Do you love it? Getting on?
Speaker 1: Coming out next now Married at First Sight currently back on our TVs.
Speaker 2: It is a ratings juggernaut.
Speaker 1: This is just people love that show and all the way back from the early seasons Australia just felling love with Maths. Now cast you mine back to twenty eighteen where we met some iconic cast members of one of the original seasons of mass You might remember the name Divina rank I remember Divina, she was in that big cheating scandal with Dean Wells.
Speaker 4: You know why this was such a pivotal time because it was the very first of the Maths cheating scandals, like every year now there's sums chantent, but this was like ground zero of it. And I also think it was so over the top of the time like that, or they didn't even cheat on each other.
Speaker 1: Since then, she's she's written a children's book, she's a podcaster and a champion of self love. She's actually just done something really crazy for the last twelve months. That's why she's joining us. The one and only Divina Rank and Welcome to the pickup.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hi guy, Dona introduction Divina. We're so excited to be speaking to you today. You have just done one year of celibacy. Why on earth? I was just say, why did you decide to do celibacy? But maybe you didn't actually intend to do it? Talk us through what that what happened?
Speaker 7: Well, it's funny because people are like, oh my god, this is so shocking. I think it's like, I'm probably the first math person who's been making the news for not sleeping around. But yeah, it's it's honestly, it was unintentional to begin with. I have gone through a massive transition in my life over the last few years, one of them being separating from my husband. So it was just a really tough time to go through. And one of the things I realized is I was like, oh my god, my whole life. I think I've just rushed everything. You know, you're in your twenties, You're like, when am I going to get married? When am I going to find the one? You know, it's just a rush for ever. And I think this is the first time in my life that I was really able to just slow down and actually like get to know myself as who I am and not someone who's like a wife or a mother or anything like that. So my self development journey kind of just casually led me into my celibacy. It's actually been the biggest journey and most transformative journey.
Speaker 6: Of my life.
Speaker 4: Savina, how do you, like, how do you deal with the fact, because obviously when you were on Maths it was quite controversial at the time, and I think that you were very much painted as being, you know, a bit of a temptress because there was this ridiculous cheating scandal that kind of unfolded. But then going and you know, you have your little girl, you were married very shortly after. What do you do to try and change people's perception or do you just kind of get to a point where you accept, oh, people are going to think what they're going to think.
Speaker 7: I think like, you definitely can't change the way people think about you. All you can do is just show up as who you are. And I think it's a hard thing of being on national television is you kind of get painted in a way that isn't necessarily truly you. It's not a true depiction, a true depiction of your actual character. So it kind of as hard as it was that whole time, it's also been kind of fun getting to show the real me and people figuring it out to themselves. Like one of my favorite comments or one of my favorite dms to readers when they're like, oh my god, I hated you, but now I love you, like I love following you, I love your life. This is great. So it's yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 5: Hey, Devina, I'd love to know because you hear a lot of I want to say, athletes. You hear a lot of people talk about the effects physiologically and the positive outcomes that people experience when they when they are celibate. A lot of athletes won't do the deed before they have a big match or something because they get all these clarity.
Speaker 3: Do you notice anything over.
Speaker 5: A twelve month period within yourself that is remarkably different?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, Like a lot changes When you are pouring all of your energy back into yourself and only watering the things that you are interested in, only doing the things that you're interested in, You've got so much time to like actually sign up for courses, learn new things, read more books.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: It's when your all your energy is focused on the things that you actually want to do, rather than being leaky with your energy and just spreading it here, there and everywhere to everyone else. Not necessarily in the bedroom, but I mean just by saying no to other people, you're actually saying a big yes to you. And how often, you know, do we say yes to ourselves?
Speaker 2: I love it. That's like an head talk, so you could do it almost. I'm thinking, I don't need any of it anymore. I'm going to go out.
Speaker 4: I'll say the same thing to my husband. I don't think you'll be very impressed, but look, I.
Speaker 2: Need more time Divina.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is great. You can get more of Divina on her podcast who Me? And you have to say the question who Me? Divina rankin thanks for coming on the pickup.
Speaker 6: We all thank you, guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks Divina Sweetheart. All right, let's go home, bye God see you guys,