Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Flexing Frooms on Kaita. Do you like to talk about the things that are improving our lives? Because I'd like to know. Recently, I got a filter, like a water filterer for Twitter. I got one got sent to me after we talked about it briefly, and I used it one time before I went away to Hobart. And I've been thinking about the water just sitting then I'm like, do you think I can still drink it?
Speaker 1: It's been a week hate water in a vessel on Touch Yeah, so is that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess it's safe. I have definitely dabbled in drinking water that's been sitting in my car for too long, you know, like the heat with the plastics. You shouldn't do that. But I also shouldn't drink coc cola.
Speaker 1: And here I am also eating a credit card worth of plastic every day or something.
Speaker 3: Literally, I'm not scared coming through this.
Speaker 1: I've been through that right now.
Speaker 3: Anyway, let's get on with the show.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Rooms on kata.
Speaker 2: A new concept just dropped in workplace bludging. It's called bare minimum Mondays, and it's a direct response to getting the Sunday scaries.
Speaker 3: Now I get the feeling.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people, myself included, will just start working on Sunday to get prepared for Monday. Yeah, it's ridiculous behavior, it's heinous, it's embarrassing, and it has to stop because it's directly contradictory with all this. I'm going to work life balancing. Work starts on Monday. What are you doing in the emails on Sunday? I will give myself a pass. When you own your own business, the work doesn't stop. Caneto Who are?
Speaker 3: Who are? Alas?
Speaker 2: We've talked a lot about the concept of quiet quitting, and I would say currently in the social zeitgeist, a lot is changing around career. Someone said, we've gone We're in post career at the moment where there aren't defined careers and people just people just work. You know, we talk a lot about professionalism, work life balance, working from home versus the office, career progression. All of these conversations are happening and they're changing quite rapidly, and nobody knows what their place is. One thing I will say is and one thing I'm happy to see is individuals the worker developing the agency enough to realize that you can change your environment, like you can move to a new workplace, and you also can redefine the way you work. A lot of us fall into the trap of wanting to be overachievers or wanting to prove that we're worthy of the hire, and so we create these habits that come back to bite us in the bump. We come early, we stay late, we have no boundaries, we don't express what we need, we don't ask for support, and then we feel overwhelmed and then are forced to do things like bare minimum Mondays. So the idea is that you don't do any work on Sunday standard, but when you come into work on Monday, you don't pressure yourself to get much your to do list done. You use your Monday as an opportunity to ease back into the work week. Maybe do some of those menial tasks or the ones that you know will just get you in the right head space. Maybe start with some emails, and then by Tuesday you're kind of primed into working and then you can like get your head in the game. Do I have thoughts about this. Yeah, is it gonna work for everyone? Absolutely not. Will most of you get fired? Probably, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go boys. You know what kind of like what you say about realizing you have the agency to leave, It's like the other day I realized I just had the agency agency to just eat McDonald's in bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: It's like you have these random lucid moments of being like, oh, wait, I'm an adult and your little child mind goes whoa yeah, or like you're driving and you're like, whoa, this is my dream when I was fired, literally driving a car. Let's bring back those movements.
Speaker 2: But one day I have the sustinct thought of being like, I don't know eight and being like and having like little boobs when I was like, one day, my boobs are going to poke out farther than my stomach and that's when I'll be a woman. Can you imagine what kind of thoughts did you were you having? Cis you had little boobs in your eight Yeah? Cute chubby girl? You know, yeah, what doubt?
Speaker 1: What else did I want? When I was young? Blonde hair? Can you did that? I did that? I will say I do like this concept However, the I think people do their emails on the Sunday so that they can have a relaxed Monday, because honestly, there is nothing worse than coming in and thinking, fuck, I'm gonna sift through all this.
Speaker 3: Shit meetings, meetings, emails, emails, talk.
Speaker 1: I've seen some people's calendars, friends of mine. It's all meetings. Yeah, when do you expect my bitch to be doing the actual fucking work.
Speaker 3: I'm always having that conversation.
Speaker 2: I recently put on an out of office, a permanent one on my emails because I was like, you, but just don't need me as bad as you think you do.
Speaker 1: See this permanent.
Speaker 2: I'm looking two days a week max, not even the full day, a couple hours. Here are the people you can talk to for specific things. Without it's about Cater, go to Brookie. You don't need to talk to me about that. I don't need to respond about that. If it's a general inquiry, go to the general inquiries. Everyone's going straight to Sauce. I just had an experience now in real time in Cater. Somebody sent me an email about a potential job. Right They want to set up a phone call, want to pitch an.
Speaker 1: Idea to me?
Speaker 2: Why have they emailed me, DMed me, linked in, me, emailed my assistant, emailed my COO, and then gone and emailed the head of production at Catera, not email, texted to say, if you're in and she's in, do you mind grabbing her her and let's have it?
Speaker 3: What is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Is it that deep?
Speaker 2: I'm at work, babe. It hasn't even this came this morning. We haven't even got to the end of the day yet.
Speaker 1: Relax. This is it a good job? I haven't even seen it, mate. This could be your big break.
Speaker 2: I've had plenty of big breaks, and I don't want to work with someone who has no concept of boundaries. That shit is insane, Like there is. There's a gateway for a reason. We have emails as the main primary source of work communication for a reason. You need to start flexing your personal contacts to bypass. Makes me look at you funny.
Speaker 3: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: But what I will say is that I do think this like heightened uh, like this, like heightened response, like this, like quiet, quitting Sunday scaries, burnout Mondays, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 2: I will say, It's like we've definitely blurred the lines with work from home, right. I love work from home, done it since what for a decade Now I.
Speaker 1: Think it's sick.
Speaker 2: I also really appreciate the office because there is something about just sitting next to the person you work with, being like, hey, I've got a question, sort of hey can you do get jump off the zooms of an email and whatever. But we went into it with not a lot of guidelines, and now we're looking at the consequence of that. The contact of burnout doesn't go because you bludged on a Monday. Now you've got four days to figure out what you need to do. What you really need is resources and assistant and support and help, not ways to compromise your career and your job as like a rebellious response to the fact that you don't have any support and a lista. I feel like, what's that phrase? There's nobody bigger than the business. I've seen really amazing people be made redundant. I've seen, really for me, I've seen really amazing people be cast aside.
Speaker 1: I've seen really.
Speaker 2: Amazing people give give give more hours than required, their personal networks, their health, their time, their energy, their money, to cultivating a good career and have been fired and let go. So your solution to you burn out and like Bareman and Mondays and whatever, is to really have some good thoughts about like how much you really are giving because you pulling back to do your actual job is like a risk you can take, but it's also a decision you made in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Take some accountability. Let's switch up some things.
Speaker 1: And it's okay as you get older to careless.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or care more about yourself flex and rooms on kata.
Speaker 1: My name is Lucinda Froome's price government name. Your name is Lilian Rose and Hanken.
Speaker 3: Where's Rose coming from?
Speaker 1: Just giving a rose fin?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll take it. Do you have a midle name, not like a government one?
Speaker 1: Nice? I found this TikTok about what our last names mean. Play it DJ, I.
Speaker 5: Bet you have people in your phone with names such as John Landlord or Hannah it t What I think is cool about this is we've kind of come full circle as to how surnames were formed hundreds of years ago. If Hannah had been a baker back in the day, she would have been Hannah Baker or Carpenter or Fisher, and these are examples of what we call occupational surnames. Maybe some people are in your phone based on where they're from or where you met them, such as Sarah Inferno's. These are called toponymic surnames, and they can often be based on specific places. Jack London's ancestors will have come from London. Well, they can be based on geographical features. Might look like Brad Pitt's family will have come from will have lived near a Pitts, while Wayne Bridge's family will have lived near a Bridge and hopefully far away from the Terryes. Maybe you have some people with names such as Charles Andrew's brother, but these family and relationships are pretty common, although usually from father to son, so Stevenson will be son of Stephen, while MacDonald comes from son of Donald. Lastly, we have nicknames. Maybe some people in your phone are listed as things like Michael the Racist or Lourie Legend, and that's another source of surnames from hundreds of years ago. If your surname is short, then your ancestor was probably being mocked by his village mates. Like likewise peacock. It was a name that was often given to people who were seen as vain or arrogant.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is more Caucasian core. I'm like going through my friends, I'm like, okay, that doesn't really work.
Speaker 3: What does Lee mean?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: What is maliono? Okay, that doesn't like that's.
Speaker 2: So Lucinda Frum's price, Yes, banker tax people hated tax price.
Speaker 1: I will say Frooms comes from a word called from which is like river nice. So we come from a river folk. Yes, and you are a prices true true. I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 3: So Brooke Taylor producer, Brooke Taylor.
Speaker 1: Taylor Stressers. I did see a comment that said, where did Dickinson come from? Son of Richard?
Speaker 3: Okay, have a thing be for real mature.
Speaker 1: We also have a special guest in the studio, Claire.
Speaker 3: Do you want to be docked?
Speaker 1: Last name Harrison? Where's that from? Claire? The son of Harry, son of Harry? And you know that for a fact? Yep, gumption, gumption.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 1: It's cool.
Speaker 2: Oh I wish people took names more seriously. Gosh, it really does paint such a beautiful picture of who you are or who you're going to be. I come from matriarchy. Did I know that when I name myself, flex Mammy, No, I did not.
Speaker 1: It's because you have DNA and learned experience genetics. That's it, Kat, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: You're listening to flex and Frooms.
Speaker 1: What the frick FLEXI. We have another listener submission. Her name is Catherine, not to be confused with Karen, though same with a k. She's sending this voice message about aliens. It's one of your community flex player.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Hi, Flexen Trooms. Hope you're doing well. I just have an alien question. I'd love you too, guys to debate. Okay, here it is what cycle called tactics? Would aliens use on us? And if so, do you think they're already being used on us? Would love to hear what do you guys think.
Speaker 1: Any tactic that an alien users is not psychological? They've got one finger and you got one corn hole, and that's all say.
Speaker 3: Not you being ablest?
Speaker 1: Who who came up with the with the idea that aliens probe you op your ass? One of your community, for sure, I'm serious.
Speaker 2: One comedian who loved poor human too much and he was documented, the only one who was documented, and so we just went with it. I would say if aliens came down now and we were exposed to them visually, like we're like, okay, they'll they've all clocked it. I think what they would do is like the Stanford prison experiments. They would divide us, right, and they'd be like, okay, we're picking path population. You guys are who we've identified as superior and premium, the other half are not. We're going to come back and check on you and give you tasks and things to accomplish. But in the meantime, just continue as you were and we'll be back. And I think people would slowly start to almost settle into that role of being like, well, they said, I'm superior, and then they'd be like global warfare, the supremes and the regular people freaking out, no longer able to coexist because the aliens gave them a title, and those who were given the superior title are obviously going to a rise to that occasion. This supreme being has also recognized that in me, I'm not one, are you? And then, as you say, the common folk are going to feel really demotivated and demoralized that these people who don't even go here have just landed and can already clock that I'm inferior. Well, I must be, and then they're going to start like civil warfare or something.
Speaker 1: Did aliens create capitalism? Nah? No, that seems like an alien thing to do. If we're here to segregate. I just think like it's taken. Maybe it was like small scale. They're just seeing like how it was going to fit. Perhaps, Yeah, someone built the pyramids. This is flex and Froomeskita.
Speaker 2: Am I the asshole for letting my roommate go hungry because I can't figure out how food works? That is the question we're answering today on flex and rooms. Comprehension hats they're on, baby, they're on my roommate. Tammy and I are both on fairly limited budgets. I get a little help for my parents. There we go, there we go, say the chest, So I have a little bit of buffer in my income. Gosh, little little little little. I tend to make meals for myself where I'll have leftover, so I can skip making myself a lunch or a dinner later on in the week. Tammy, on the other hand, makes each meal as precisely as she cans, so she doesn't waste her money. She says, just two ways of cooking meals. I guess just after Christmas last year, Tammy was very low on money and asked if she could please have some of my leftovers.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Instead of serving herself a small portion to see if she would like my food, she just took a full portion. She ate about a quarter of what she took and threw the rest in the trash. I didn't say anything. Almost the same exact thing happened two weeks ago. This time I asked her to try and be a little bit more mindful before she took a full portion. She said she was really hungry. Again, almost an entire meal in the trash two nights ago, asked for my spaghetti. I said no, it isn't really gonna affect me for her to throw away a meal, but it means she's wasting not just my money, but my time that I spent getting the ingredients, preparing the food.
Speaker 1: All that stuff.
Speaker 3: Now she isn't talking to me, but she's complaining.
Speaker 2: To other people about me being cheap and letting her staff. But I'm not actually go her a box of generic mac and cheese for how to eat. I'm just not gonna watch my hard work literally go into the garbage. She thinks I'm being an asshole because I won't share my food, but I would share it if she wasn't wasting it.
Speaker 3: So am I the asshole?
Speaker 1: Just on principle? Give it up them. Don't tell me you're getting hungry when I've gone on, I'm already getting mac and Chase.
Speaker 3: From the packet from the box.
Speaker 1: I just don't vibe like if I'm going to share my leftovers with you, I need to account for that when I'm buying food, do you know what I mean? Particularly when it's past her because pasta is better on the reheat. I gotta say this is pretty cut and dry. It some one FLEXI the asshole is the woman who's going hungry. Order uber eats, no sponsor content.
Speaker 5: Order uber eats.
Speaker 1: There's nothing worsancing food going to the bin.
Speaker 2: I will say, I'm very generous friends, I'm a generous girl. They offer to cook for me a lot. I often don't accept, because if you're going to accept someone's home cooked food, you have to finish it. There's no if butts or whatever, and you can't get a small, stingy portion. It looks bad, it's disrespectful. So it's a TUFA. If you can't commit to accepting the food and finishing it, then leave it. Also, I understand why Tamy doesn't want to cook more than she can eat, but why scoop more than you can eat and then throw it out? Why wouldn't you just put that away if you're not gonna be hungry later on?
Speaker 1: Pal move and then now to.
Speaker 2: Go call you stingy after you've been so generous. Tammy wants to fight, and I say, let's do it. Fight fun as you take literally.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 5: For more, tune Inticter on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio