Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week.
Speaker 2: They're right.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading. On today's episode with the winner of RuPaul's Drag Race down Under Season four, I have a absolutely delightful chat with Lazy Susan ready for you guys today. This run of the Australian version has been a real joy to watch and the last four contestants were the strongest top four that we have seen in our country and I'm pleased that Lazy has won as I have absolutely rooted for hers right from the start of this competition. Lazy will talk about the viewing party and what went down on the night the queen's found out who won. We will unpack all the queens in the finale and what order Lazy thought the queens would be eliminated. I will find out if Rupe Paul himself has been in contact and what Michelle Visage did to acknowledge the finale. You will get everything from the way in which Lazy honored her mother and the finale, how the queens united with family and friends at that finale, and what Lazy has planned to do with her crown now that she is the winner of a Ruphols Drag Race season There's actually so much to talk about, with so many inside revelations. So guys sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of rup Phuls Drag Race down Under season four. How are you Lazy?
Speaker 2: Are you good? I'm very good. But I just won fifty thousand dollars on television.
Speaker 3: It's a good thing. It's a good feeling. I can tell you. I've had a cash injection from a similar experience, and it's like it's it's like when you win money, like gambling. In some way, it doesn't feel like the money that you would get of You couldn't agree more.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's work, you know, you know, toiling your entire life, you know, behind a desk, and then there's getting dressed up like a lazy Susan and spinning jeweled desserts around your body for the entertainment of cross stresses and former Go Group stars.
Speaker 2: And that is my work, and it's so so happy that I just got a random sum of money to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you, but for me, I felt like you were going to win this from episode one.
Speaker 2: I had no idea.
Speaker 4: I truly like it was this insane experience of being like, there is there is an absolute case to be made for like so many people in this competition to be the winner of this whole thing, because there are just I mean there's just talent on talent on talent on talent in this cast, and I feel absolutely shocked that I got to be the one that gets the money. And now that I do, I feel this like intense responsibility to be like, Okay, I'm going to do the most I can with it to try and make it that I'm worthy of this honor.
Speaker 3: I think you could possibly be the most humble winner of this entire franchise in every country around the world. I've watched them all. I've watched them all, my friend, I just think there's something so I don't think if anyone seen anyone so talented but yet be so humble at the same time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, going for the Mother Teresa Award over here.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, I will put cigarettes out on service workers later tonight, so don't worry.
Speaker 2: I'm still a monster. I just unfortunately have like.
Speaker 4: Eyes and the ability to recognize, like Vibe and Mandy and fucking Freyer and all of these bitches, how fucking talented they are, and how annoying that was, because I really would love to just sit here and be like, obviously I'm the best, But no, there's when you're in that company, you lose that privilege.
Speaker 3: Now I know that you guys got together to have a bit of a viewing party for the finale last Friday, All I want to know is I want to know the goss from behind the scenes of that event. What went down? What do we need to know? Is there any scandal? But we have to.
Speaker 2: Unpack nothing but scandal?
Speaker 4: Okay, My favorite highlights of the evening My wig, This wig that I was wearing for the finale mysteriously went missing in the dressing room. Here's me trying to start my drama, but no, my wig went missing. And I was at the venue and we're about to open the doors to let people in to watch the final episode, and I didn't have a wig to wear. And so the incredible staff at the Universal like went and tore through building and found my wig. And they came back and they were like, they thought it was trash. They put it in the garbage. I almost didn't have a wig for the finale, so that was very chic and very like last minute chaos, and I mean, really sorry to be this girl, but like it was just like a lot of us meeting all the loved ones of the other contestants, which was fabulous. But the highlight of that was that they had their friends and loved ones line up, and then you had my dad in his best little suit, and my sister and her Sunday Bess and my boyfriend's sitting there, and then you had Mandy's gorgeous husband, and then you had Mandy's two pigs there who were in their like pop masks, and it was like this kind of heartwarming queer rendition of like a pageant moment where you just like kind explain this picture to a straight person of what we're doing here when everyone's crying.
Speaker 2: It was just so incredible.
Speaker 3: I cried the whole way through the season finale, and I think it's because I relate to the reality when something's real, and I'm think your declaration towards your mom was very emotional as a viewer to watch, but it also was sort of this full circle moment to sort of understand your heart and where you get this big heart from. And I felt an overwhelming sense of emotion hearing you talk about your mom. Yeah, I felt.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the part thank you.
Speaker 4: And I think part of the reason that I feel so open about that experience of my mum is that despite the fact that it is a profound loss in my life, it is also like it's not one that's tainted by a negative emotion. I'm so proud of the person that my mother was, and I'm so excited to talk about her and to kind of keep her alive in that way of just you know, discussing the person that she allowed me to be. And yeah, like I think that sometimes in the show, people are forced to talk about things that are incredibly vulnerable, that are not resolved or are not don't have like a warm emotion behind them. And I think that I had a very different experience because I was able to talk about something that's incredibly close to me and yes, incredibly vulnerable, but something that brings me a lot of joy to think about and to talk about because I really love my mom and she's freaking cool, and I'm glad that I got to like give her like her props for putting up with having such a faggy sun order is I.
Speaker 3: Feel like I'm going to cry all over again. I feel like because it was available to you and that's how it came across you delivered that was that it actually helped a lot of people with grief. And I was reading some of those comments online last night, and you quite often see people talk about reality TV where that on reality TV where they say, oh, lost my parents and it's a bit of this sort of sad story, and they sometimes it feels like that's sad stories being used in a way to get them further along, where for you, there was something very authentic about it. It was something very It could tell that you had processed it and you were ready to share that. And I thought that was very powerful, very powerful television.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: And I think that that whole episode of just seeing like, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Was absolutely losing my mind.
Speaker 4: I'm seeing like when Vibe and May was speaking specifically about their experiences and I'd not seen the kind of other side where they're talking to Michelle and when they were talking their confessionals, and it was seeing them be so vulnerable when I'd known them as these kind of like diva monsters. And I was right there with you as an audience member, kind of seeing that for the first time and just being like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And so like we're all sobbing. It was just ridiculous at the finale.
Speaker 4: But I think that it was a really good final episode, because sometimes those final episodes can be a bit of a drag, but I think it was.
Speaker 3: Crag in the best way possible. Yeah, yes, I loved it, and you know that's it's really nice to talk about that moment, but it also would be remissive me not to ask you for some you know, some shady responses from you as well. Do we know who?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: Did you think going into that finale was second, third, and fourth? That's what I don't know, is that true to one path? But that's I thought about it, and I was like, I get this chance to meet lazy Susan today, and that's what I want to know.
Speaker 4: Now, you want me to throw them all under the bus, You know what is really like? It is like if you were just going by that challenge, I think Freya might have just won everything. Like her finale gown was absolutely spectacular, and then her verse like was like pretty much drag excellence in the sense of like that is like the drag Race verse, and she did a full on walkover and just like ate it up, like and there was a shot where me and Vibe and Mandy are standing there looking at her grumpy while she's just tearing up the stage and finally getting her dance challenge, and I was like, I said it to her like as we were doing the press, I'm like, how's the world going to feel when they see how much you actually just won that final challenge? So I would say prayer first, and then I think, like, you can't go past mother pig with her nips out, like just you know, three sets of nipples on a main stage of Drag Race is just chef's kiss with a pork sausage boa truly iconic.
Speaker 2: And then I will.
Speaker 4: Be entirely self deprecating and put Vibe next because of her fucking fan work and her ability to move her mouth and body at the same time, which is spectacular, And then I will be once again just a humble, raining girl as long as they don't have to give up a single cent of my money.
Speaker 3: Do you get an email from rup Paul because he wasn't there for the series, he had any from rupe Phaul, like does he send you a text? Or does he slide into your Instagram? What's happened?
Speaker 4: He called me after the Crown was on in the dressing room and he said, Lazy, I know I'm not there, but I just wish I could hug you and say I'm so proud of your work. I went back and watched all your YouTube videos and I just think you're so talented and I would like to qudually invite you to be part of All Winners, which we're shooting next year in Sydney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like it was an incredible moment. I just couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's absolutely I know, not at all.
Speaker 2: RuPaul doesn't talk to us at all. No, RuPaul lives in a mansion in LA.
Speaker 4: She's got better thing things to do than to call a cross dresser in fucking Universal in Sydney and say thank you.
Speaker 3: But Michelle would have said something, because I mean I spoke to Michelle just before she was going to do Big Brother in the UK. This is I would say it almost ten years ago now and I remember thinking she was so accessible for someone who is so famous, that she is just very a very real person while still being extraordinarily large on TV.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, well that's it.
Speaker 4: I mean she is a genuine like she's a Jersey girl like through and through, like there's no bullshit. She genuinely means what she says and does what she means or whatever the fuck you say.
Speaker 2: But she sent us.
Speaker 4: All as a video message before we were about to go to the crowning and was just like, hey, girls, I just want you to know I love you so.
Speaker 2: Much, blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, she's it's been just incredible every step of the way and truly, like what you see is what you get with Michelle Visage.
Speaker 2: She is an absolute mane, like a real queen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember Re saying that to me one day. He was like, I was like, what's it like working with Michelle Visage? And he was like, just very real person, like you know, and that's so rare in television to be like that. Now, I want to quickly ask, because you've got to go because you've got to talk to everyone in Australia today, But what do you want to do with this experience. Is this getting on stage and touring Australia, Is it taking a global like do you have plans about what you want to do with this crown?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I mean, like I have had that money spent for about six months now. In my head, I really want to combine my love of filmmaking with Drag. So that's the next project I want to work on, kind of in a longer term sense is try and get a film made.
Speaker 2: And I have some more.
Speaker 4: Drag projects at my sleeve that are specifically to do with Melbourne Drag that I guess There'll be more information coming on that soon, but rest assured there's going to be a lot of silly bits coming and I think the focus of the ring will be about putting drag on screen.
Speaker 3: What's in your DNA, you know, it's in your Making content, Making television and entertaining people is a part of who you are.
Speaker 2: That's my dream.
Speaker 4: And also the great thing about TV and video content is you can edit it.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's a good point. Did anyone of the other previous winners over the other seasons, have they all contacted you to say congratulations or any of them not?
Speaker 4: Yes, they have all reached out, which has been lovely, Like just this good is so real, It's like very kind, very kind ladies.
Speaker 3: Can you give me it behind the scenes secret? Every episode of my podcast I have to end with something behind the scenes and we'll ask if we're allowed to run it.
Speaker 1: But I've got a secret.
Speaker 3: From behind the scenes of filming the series that you can share.
Speaker 2: Good secret. Oh my god, I wish I had one to hand. What's so like? What's something I haven't said anywhere? I mean nothing, I would ever say a secret.
Speaker 3: I wants something exclusive.
Speaker 2: I know. Okay, it's a good one.
Speaker 4: A fuck?
Speaker 2: What is a really good cigret? Actually?
Speaker 3: Do you know what might be good? Can you once you've been asked to do the show, do you then try and work out who else is going to be in this series? Or is it in your contract that you're not allowed to try and do that kind of reconnaissance?
Speaker 2: Oh honey.
Speaker 4: The Melbourne drag scene and the drag scene in general is so like, like, you know, if they like, we would have found that missing flight, you know, Malaysia Air one five sixs or whatever in like three seconds. If they've been a drag queen going on drag race on that flight, because yeah, we knew within I think six days, every single calast member. Okay, yeah, you can't not know because all the costumers speak. So every costumer that's getting contacted for suddenly a giant gig for a girl that's suddenly got infinite money to spend. Yeah, who's like yeah, So that's it, I think as well. The big secret for me was that I was such a messy drag queen because I'm a very messy person that they had to consistently shoot around the pile of crap that was my corner of the room.
Speaker 1: So they ended up having to take all of my crap and put it through the pit crew door. And so sometimes you'll see me walk through the pit crew door to go and get some one of my costumes because they've had to hide it all because I'm a messy.
Speaker 3: Slob because it's a mess of crap behind it. Well, but can I just say I am in your audience. I think as I have been for a very long time. I can't wait to see what you do with all of this. I think it's going to be very exciting and just enjoy and un revel in the next few weeks were coming off the back of a win like this.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Ben, I'm so excited.