Speaker 1: If you've opened up an AI tool lately, instead at a list of names like flash so one, it opens Fable, Mythos, plus a pile of numbers that seem to go up and down at random, You are not alone. The naming within these platforms is genuinely confusing, and most of us just pick one and hope for the best. Today, Neo and I walk through the big four platforms Gemini, Chatch, FT, Cord, and Copilot and sort out which model to actually use and when. You will learn some tricks that cut through all these confusing names and how to avoid the token bills that have left some companies hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket just for one employee using the wrong models for the wrong tasks. By the end of this episode, you will know exactly how much brain power to throw at any given task for the AI tool that you're using.
Speaker 2: Welcome to how IAI with me, Doctor Amantha Imba and Neo Applin, head of Inventium AI. Each episode we share one practical way to use AI better at.
Speaker 1: Work and in life. No fluff, no tech jargon, just things you can use straight away. So Neo I feel like in the news at the moment, there is a lot of talk about new and different models launching, like Mythos and Fable, and they've all got different names, and then there's different numbers, and I feel like it can be very confusing to the average person what is going on with all these models you have?
Speaker 3: These AI companies are horrendous when they're naming their models. There's agents, there's GPTs, there's projects as models, there's fable. There's too many different terms that mean very little to the average person. But what it's about is how much the model thinks and how deeply it thinks through your problem. Is for the different models you've got, and so you've got smaller light models that do maybe a little bit of thinking, and you might have the heavier thinking models that are smarter and will work through your problem more. So, that's what it's about. It's about how much brain you would like to put towards your problem. Now, the thinking models will cost more for these companies to run. Therefore they'll let you use it less each hour, each month, each year, whatever, in a particular period of windows. And so you'll find that if you use the deep thinking big models, you'll get fewer uses each hour each day than you would if you're using the small and light models. So it's really about you're getting the right model for the right task. And so if you've got something important, use the thinking model. When you don't have anything particularly important, use a smaller model.
Speaker 1: So let's unpack the four main AI platforms in terms of getting into Gemini, CHATCHABT, Claude and copile it to understand and what are the models within each one and what should we be using when? How does that sound as a plan?
Speaker 3: Love? It sounds great.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Gemini, I think, and that's probably anecdotally for us and the clients that we're working with with inventium AI. We're not saying too many Gemini users. But let's start there and cover off what should we be using for what in Gemini.
Speaker 3: Now, when I go into this, I'll tell you the names, but also underneath the names when you've got there's a model picker on each of these tools. Usually it's in the prompting bar or around the prompting bar. When you see the names, there's always a little bit of text underneath it which gives you a clue as to what it is. So, for example, here in Gemini on my pick list today, I've got three point one flash light and then underneath that it goes fastest dances. Underneath that you've got three point five flash and it goes all round help. And then the three point one pro says advanced math and code. So it's giving you a clue of which one to use when. So you can then look at your go other numbers. Yeah, who gets but the numbers. The numbers will always change, but it's a little comments underneath that often mean more than the actual name of it. So in Gemini they've got three point one flash light, three point five flash and three point one pro. Now the numbers can be confusing because you look at it going three point one pro. Well, three point five is better than three point one, so three point five flash should be better than three point one pro. It doesn't actually work that way. So that's why I'm suggesting forget the numbers, go for the little text underneath it, so that the pro one, the advanced method code, would be the smartest model. And so when would you use that? You'd use it on things that matter. So if you're working out something like strategy, or you're doing problem solving or Hey, I'm dealing with this really complex problem and a market thing and a research thing, and how do I put those things together? Then you'd use the pro model here everyday use, I'd probably use flash And then if you've got something just as quick fast light though, summarize this paragraph into two words or whatever, I'd probably use flash light for that.
Speaker 1: And we'll get in to chat chapt next. But just as a general question with the deeper versus quicker thinking, something I wonder when let's say I'm working on refining a really important piece of content, and I think to myself, this is not a complex task like refining copy based on the rules that I give it, but it's a really important one to me. So in that kind of scenario, which model should I be using.
Speaker 3: If it's more language and just summarize these things, then I would be fine with a smaller model, one of those just everyday ones, which in this case in Gemini, the every day one is probably the three point five flash or you can get away with a flash light if it's just words and how do I put these phrases together? Things like that, But if you want it to actually analyze things and think through things, if it's important to get it right. In your case, it's important to get it right. I would definitely be using the everyday one here, that's the three point five flash rather than light because it's actually think through how it does its word summary, those kind of things. But often we need to do things that really matter. If it really matters, I'm often doing PRO. But if it's really matter, usually it's about thinking through a problem really matters, rather than just summarize the sentence. Well, I need to summarize it, right, Yeah, probably everyday model is probably fine for those things.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to chat GPT. What are the different model options in chat GPT and what should we be using when they've improved.
Speaker 3: There's an instant then thinking, then PRO. That makes a lot more sense to me. Instant is don't think, just shoot me the answer straight away. And I love that and that's exactly what it does. Instant effectively, don't think, just do so use your own brain, go ahead thinking, we'll actually think through it. That's what I'm generally on all of the time. And then PRO, if it matters, that's the one you'd pick, So do not. You get quite a few pro uses, so a lot of people are too scared to use them until they actually need them, in which case you've actually got a whole bunch of potential uses that you've missed out on using. So do not be afraid to use the higher models.
Speaker 1: So let's look at Claude now, which I know is the AI tool that we use most often, and that certainly we're saying a lot of our clients moving a lot more towards Claude. And this is where certainly the term fable you might have heard in relation to Claude. What's going on there and what models should we be using?
Speaker 3: Okay, so Claude have four models at the moment, well almost four. So there starts at Haiku, that's their small fast light model, then it goes to Sonnet, then to opus, and then more recently there is fable. So instead of giving you the words like chachipt does what's chechibit? He got instant thinking and pro it kind of does what it says in the box. I kind of like that now with Claude, think of it as poems. A haiku is a Japanese poem which only has a couple of words. If it's only that three lights it's a tiny poem is a larger poem, and Opus is quite a large poem, and a Fable is obviously a huge poem. So it's about poem sizes. That's how they've named their models. So if you kind of get that in your mind, and.
Speaker 1: Can I just say neo, I've never heard anyone describe it like that. To me, that is quite revelatory, So thank you. Continue.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, these are the poem sizes and effective. It's how smart you want it to be and how much thinking you want it to do as well. So, as I said, we've got hik So and Opus. Don't worry about the numbers, just go for the names here. The numbers will always change. Now, just recently they had had released Fable. If you've also heard of Mythos, Mythos and Fable are pretty much the same model. This is the way you saw in the news. It was like, oh, we can't release it. It's too scary, it's too smart, a little hack every system in the world and all those kind of things. So Fable is Mythos. It's the full blown model. But they've just said you can't talk about certain things, so you can't talk about chemical stuff because someone might create chemical warfware. You can't talk about security stuff because you might try to hack something. And so what they've tried to do is get Fable without those problematic topics, and then they released it. They've released it, and since then there's obviously politics involved, but the US government has said, well, in a way, you could actually get it to review your security on your code, and so therefore, no, we're not happy with that, and because of that there's been discussions, and then Fable has been paused will put it that way, and so you can't actually use Fable at the moment. So for most people, do you need something which is as awesome as Fable, No, I'd probably say no. If you're getting AI to build your full software suite or whatever, Fable would be absolutely amazing for that. Opus is great Fable from everything I'm reading from people who've been using it, it's mind blowingly amazing. But it's not available just yet. So what I'd be doing is Haiku small fast light every day kind of small, like summarize this kind of stuff. Haiku is great. I work in Sonnet pretty much all the time, but then I turn it up to Opus when I need to because Opus is it does use more tokens, which we talk about later. But Opus is very smart and does an awesome job. But don't sit in the most thinkingest model all the time because you're just going to waste all your usage and then you won't have the great usage ready for when you need to use it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's now talk about co pilot. What are the different models.
Speaker 3: There right now? I need to give you a little bit of market knowledge here. So Microsoft have had invested in chat ChiPT, so actually Copilot under the hood has a chat chipitt Brain, not just that you can use chat Chipt's models in Copilot, and they've also recently done a deal with Anthropic so you can use Claude inside copilot. So this is within the copilot model. Pickup, So in copilot you've got auto and I like the little text and decides how to think. It's got quick response. That's it's a qui equivalent of haiku, so don't think, just give me a response and then think deeper, which is its equivalent of something like the thinking ish models. So I'm generally on auto all the time and it will decide how long to think. But if it's important I will go think deeper because it will always do a better job of thinking if I tell it to think deeper than auto if it thinks so if it's important, strategy, market research, all those kinds of things, or how do I do this is really important, I'm going to get it right. For a client, absolutely think deeper. But I encourage you to do some tests and say, all right, oh, now try the Opus model because you can use Opus that's Claudes model inside Copilot, which is quite amazing. And there's also a GPT from AI Open AI and so you can actually use one of the GPT once you've got the think deepers in quick responses and all the same things, so you've got more choices in Copilot, which is actually pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Let's finish by talking about tokens because this is so important because you know you might just be listening and going, well, why wouldn't I just have the AI think deeply about everything? I mean, what are the implications of that? And I'd say, in if you're a solopreneur and you've just got your own individual license, or maybe you're in a small business where I think the pricing is a little bit different depending on how things are structured in your company. It's so different to if you are working in a large corporate and you've got an enterprise plan because what we know there is that often there's a per user charge, but there is also a charge for tokens. So how do we need to be thinking about this because quite frankly, I know we've both heard some nightmare stories around token usage going crazy and skyrocketing the prices that people are paying for their AI tool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's all about II recommend use the right model that you need for the task you're doing. So, for example, I need to summarize twenty customer feedback things into a couple of themes. An auto model, a regular model is probably fine for that. Or you might need to say, hey, those same twenty comments do they reveal a product strategy risk or does that really impact what I need to do for the next kind of sets of investments that matters, in which case I probably use a larger top tier, a thinking model and Opus model for that. There's also a timeframe thing, So if I'm using Opus, it's going to spend a lot of time thinking through the thing. It will take me ages to get that response back and if you're going to get frustrated with it taking a lot of time, then you're wasting a lot of tokens. Okay, but let's actually go back to the token thing. So if you're in a particular plan, and only some plans have this, So if you're in say everyday claud plan, this is a thirty bucks a month plan, then you will have a usage limit. So you can actually go to your settings page and under settings there's a thing called usage and you can see that you've got a five hour windows, a little bit of a bar how much you've used, and there's a weekly limit window and there's a bit of a bar there, and you can also top up and buy more on top of that if you need. And what they're basically saying is you can have a certain number of uses of your different models over that five hour window or one week window until we say you've used it enough, you've overused what our models do now, Haiku is about two to three times cheaper than Sonnet, and son It is minimum two times cheaper than Opus, so there's like a minimum six times differential in price on these different models. So if you're using Opus for hey, summarize this email, you are burning through your tokens and you'll hit at the end of the five hour period and AI is going to say tote sos. You're going to have to come back in a couple of hours, right, And that becomes a problem if you actually needed to get some work done. So picking the right model means you can actually get some work done, which is great. Now if you're in a company plan, and some companies have a plan where it's simply you can you've get access to it. But each time you get AI to run a query to get a prompt or together to think, that goes kachin kachin, kachin kachin on your bank balance. So if that's the case, then you might be costing an awful lot of cash to your poor IT department. And we hear stories where some companies have got like a five hundred thousand dollar AI bill for that month and things like that because people have just been using these things on summarize this email or stuff they don't need, or they're letting it go crazy. And so my encouragement is pick the right model for the job. But also if you do have, say Claude, check your usage limits and see whether you're actually using it right, so you can actually see whether you're over using any of these models.
Speaker 1: And just for context, that five hundred thousand dollar AI bill that you talk about, that was just from one employee from memory that particular story that you're referring to, and they.
Speaker 3: Were also getting AI. This is APIs and chlor Cowork and sorry clock code, I should say, and all those kind of things. So they were going nuts, right, But here's the they were going nuts but not watching what they're doing, and that's coming to be a bigger problem because like Claude has its own usage limits and a lot of companies they're off this. You know, you can be the five our limit you stop and instead it's just a paper usage. There's another thing coming out in a couple of months time, which is Microsoft Cowork, which is the same as clor COK in Microsoft, they will also have usage limits. So picking the right model is good practice now for when all of these things go to usage only.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, NEO. Hopefully you are now feeling more confident and clear in terms of which model you should be using for all the different tasks that you're using AI for. Thank you so much for listening and we will see you next week. How IAI was hosted by me Amantha Imber and Neo Applan. A big thank you to Martin Imber who does our sound editing, and Jim Rubio for production support, and thank you to John Kilby who composed the theme music