Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload.
Speaker 2: The podcast last week They're Life.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Ruben the Winner of the Voice Australia, which wrapped up last week on Channel seven. I've actually followed Ruben since the first crackle of his voice, and I was even so keen on him winning that I requested with Channel seven an interview with him earlier this month. He is such a gorgeous guy and a deserving winner. I think Leanne Rymes should be very proud, and I kind of feel kind of proud myself. And guys, guess what, I've got nothing to do with any of it. Ruben will talk about filming all the different endings and what order that they were recorded in. We will talk about Leanne Ryan's and how she found out he won, plus why he didn't talk to any of the other runners up. I will discuss the way in which he wants to spend the money. Seems like a really personal question, but hey, as if you don't want to know the answer. You will also get everything from song choices and why they picked them, what he really thought of the other finals, and I'll even find out how he celebrated finding out that he was the winner. There's actually so much to talk about, with so many inside revelations, So sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of the Voice Australia.
Speaker 2: Are you mate?
Speaker 3: I'm doing very well. I actually am.
Speaker 1: Just to start off with, I have to say congratulations on winning the Voice Australia.
Speaker 3: That is just huge.
Speaker 2: That is that isn't nuts? That?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: We were so cool.
Speaker 1: We were talking about this only like a few weeks ago and I said to you, I was like, you're picked to win. And from the very first time that I heard your voice, I was like, he has got this competition in the bag.
Speaker 3: But I've been telling.
Speaker 1: People this for the last few weeks and the fact that you took the competition out somehow has made me look cool.
Speaker 2: You're too kind man. You know, it's all the credit goes to the people around me that kind of helped me get over line, you know with the texting and all that sort of stuff. For people that have helped behind the stage, you know, said the stage lighting camera guy. You know, everyone like the whole framework is why what woll me over the line? And all I did over there was seeing dude, and it was nice to have the ability to look back and go I actually felt that, so you know. Yeah, so just all the coaches and everyone making it super easy for me to actually feel something that I like to do. Yeah, and that that was really what it was all about, so everyone came together.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought what might have got you across the line in the end was that there were some brilliant singers you know, left in the competition. But what I thought about you was there was more to you as a person for Australia to believe in. I think your story felt more compelling, It felt more authentic. It feels like there's more to you than.
Speaker 3: Just your voice. Is where I'm going with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I think sometimes we always we get left singing it in the way of our voice, you know, and sometimes we've all got that.
Speaker 1: Boy, when when throughout watching this all back, because we all know this was filmed a little while ago, but when did you well watching your back think you know what, I think I'm going to take this out.
Speaker 2: I think it would have been just before obviously the semis. When I got through the semis, I started to actually believe. I was started to go, wait a second, like you know when you walk past that lot of machine in the shops and you never buy a ticket because you never think ever you're going to be that guy, you know. And so it's finally finally clicked. After the Semis and I went to a living I was like, Okay. My wife basically told him we could win this. We could literally take home and be sort of sort of help with our debts. It could be get free, you know, and just not just stet free, but also have some to put away for it and then work on our craft, you know, like something that makes us happy. And we just looked at each other and going, help, we could really take this. Yeah, That's when I it all quick. Man.
Speaker 1: It seems to me like when we watch these reality TV shows, a lot of people use the money to They use the money to try and make them more famous. They try and use the money to make them a bigger artist. I actually thought for the first time with you that the money that you're going to take home from this competition is not just going into you and your career. I feel like you're going to use that money for your family. Have you had time for that dust to settle, to think about how you're going to spend it.
Speaker 2: Not really. I think one thing we know we want to spend it on is to get to buy some sort of peace of mind at the moment. And it could be it's something I need to sit down with the missis and talk about because it's a massive amount of money and it's a big decision, big family decision as well, So something that I want to be able to you know, obviously pay off out there to then possibly look at how I can support myself without having to fly out to work, and also how do I hone in on my craft and have some time to actually go into studio rather than having a sacrifice that time to go to work and kind of you know, break that creativity cycle and hit that constant wall. So yeah, I have to sit down with the missis and talk about it, that's for sure, chat over a coffee.
Speaker 1: I think remember talking to someone who won this show years ago, like I'm talking a decade ago, and they spent a lot of the money on booking, recording studios and making new music.
Speaker 3: And they said to me.
Speaker 1: That if they could go back in time, they would use the money to build a recording studio at their home to stop the spending of booking studios. And I think that could be something that you could do, because I mean you're already fully functional artist. I think you could be in there writing new music and doing it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be that would be the best option.
Speaker 3: I would say, how did you watch last night's finale?
Speaker 1: Because that's always really fascinates me because you know, as everyone knows, that the show is filmed a few months ago, and they multiple endings and then you're left to watch it with Australia, which is nerve wranging.
Speaker 2: It's crazy when people see you up in the street, they go, wait a minute, should be in Sydney and the amount of amount of times have got better and then you have to sit down and explain it to them, you know, and just that yeah, it's crazy. But having all my mate, having the people and like sort of my tribe, you know. And we had a lot of watch party at Frio. We watched it at the same time Sydney watched it and usually purposed three hours behind and we are we get you know, the Red Eye you know. Yeah, so we watched the same time Sidney watched it, and we had one hundred people rock up and fill up this little venue that that his own by our mates and just saw the projector down. He he got he to drink sales and you know we kind of yeh, had a really good time.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: It was quite nerve wracking people despite knowing they was filmed. They were so pleasant and so invested. It was like almost they were there watching me perform again that if you know what I mean. Yeah, so it's felt super genuine, even though I wasn't playing or singing, It felt like the most genuine sort of response you could get. And no one, I suppose no one will get to see my reaction as it was yesterday yesterday afternoon. But yeah, that was a really humane resp I would says pretty cool.
Speaker 3: When they film multiple endings.
Speaker 1: I love to ask this question because it's actually a really good behind the scenes question, and that is like, what was the order? Can you remember who recorded their version of winning the Voice first? Do you remember how that went down?
Speaker 2: I think it was, Yeah, it was it was Anie, Like the way the way we had to stand up over there, so in that order sort of thing, you know. But Annie was first, Jaden second, I was third, and then in the sky and yeah, the whole time this, I've never been more nervous, my whole this whole experience being asked to pretend to win sort of thing. Yeah, and I've never been that nervous before. But I understood, you know, this is this is how it is like, you know, this is stovisn And I'm going to try and sort of dwell into that space and myself like and just some sort of skin anyone, Yeah, and imagine it, you know, because honestly, I already felt like we're winner making it that far in the competition, So I'm channeling that.
Speaker 3: Have you heard on the others? Like, what did they text you? Do they know you? Have you heard from any of the other three?
Speaker 2: You won't believe this. And I think it might be a sign from the universe or whatever. So while while we were watching last night, just before the winner got announced, my phone died. O. My phone actually died and I must have not charged it or whatever, and she died and I had no messages until I finally got home and charged it. And as soon as I opened the phone. Yeah, it's just like an influx of messages, you know, and I'm going to take some time out probably today to do some reply to people. Might not be able to do it to reply to everybody, but you know, just a few people, especially the guys that I do the show with, you know, they feel that little family.
Speaker 1: Were you called, will you called Jayden and Sky and Annie and have a conversation with them about this or yeah, a relationship like with this the other three people.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love him. I actually voted for him. Yeah, that's very Ruben. I love the guys that I've made it. You know, it's really amazing people are all three of them. Guy, He's he's incredible with his vocal range. And Jaden, they were guarding me the whole time. So Sky actually gave me a few tips vocally and stuff so that I took on board and kind of helped me out. Jayden would look after the kids when so she's very she's got these motherly instincts. You know, I'm very family driven as rather as an exceptional singer. And when the kids were there, she just you know, she was happy to look after them. Yeah, she's actually beautiful. So and Annie she's fiery. You know, she's got that for a sixteen year old. You can you can almost see she's got so far to go in the show. And the relationships she and her mum shared over there was pretty nice. But she was there with a mum the whole time. We didn't really get to connect with Annie as much as I did with Jadan in spine, but they're all incredible. Definitely will do a little post.
Speaker 3: Well we'll follow them. We'll all follow them.
Speaker 1: We can all follow their journey, you know, from where they go from here, because yeah, you've you've all had this amazing platform, but you've all had some access to some amazing coaches. What about your relationship with Leanne? Like I heard from sort of a behind the scenes person that she was very you know, her her manager or her assistant or something was constantly checking in with Channel seven and making sure you're okay.
Speaker 3: What was it Like the show.
Speaker 1: Goes you know, you filmed it, it goes to air and then she's a megastar, Like if you needed to talk to her, how did you go about being able to reach out to her and get advice?
Speaker 2: Well, she just, like you know, just threw WhatsApp she's gave me a phone number. Yeah, the Instagram, but through WhatsApp, musly and and she's always replied, never not had time, and she'd always do a little video or you know, call me and someone like that. I'm unbroken by the industry, you would say, has some sort of humanity. You can hold their spirits, so Hi. You don't often get those two things in a person. I don't think running this indus anyway. But having and even even being a nobody music from pers and you have some of the egos that come through there, you know, in these little musicians circles, and Leanne just unfazed by all of it. She's yeah, she went above and beyond, even like you know, promoting my votes just to vote for me and doing like an Instagram live so her followers can meet me and sort of stuff like that. So I would say, I'm truly blessed having her. And it would not have been possible without hand, without everyone Channel seven and the voice teams that have put all that effort into creating the steps for us.
Speaker 1: Have you heard from Leanne? Was she one of the people that you got to text? Have you not answered your message.
Speaker 3: To Leanne Rhymes?
Speaker 2: This point, so I after Olivia, actually my wife actually messaged reminded me that I need a message her because it's obviously early in the morning with her, and then she didn't see So with everything happening, my phone being dead, this kind of took Livy's phone and her voice voice note. But at sen as I got home, I got a listen messages from her saying, Ohm, I God, have you one tell me? And then she found out from somewhere and it's two am in the morning, mind you, So she must have just woken up, and she loves to sleep. She must not have been able to sleep, and I feel I feel so bad not being able to reply to her, you know, And that's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I actually think that's a really good story.
Speaker 2: And she just, yeah, she didn't doesn't mind about you know, she's really cool like that.
Speaker 1: What was it like to sing with her like that? Fixed your song? That version of that song for the two of you was so epic like it was, And I think I'm going to try and cut it off and download that and listen to that for a very long time.
Speaker 3: Did it change your voice at all?
Speaker 1: Having the nerves to be singing with Leanne or did it help in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think I was really nervous that day because I am my first of all, you singing with the star, you know, and you just go, am I going to ruin this for her? You know? You don't want to ruin it to her, you always you know, you want it to be kind of good the harmony Sten, But I just went. When we went on stage, she said a few things to me that kind of really got me into my field and didn't feel any of that on stage. I really felt like I was singing back at home or you know, it's a really free You would say, I have to.
Speaker 1: Let you go because you've got to talk to the rest of Australia, like everyone wants to talk to you, which is going to be so exciting for you. But before you go, like what I did last time, I want to know sort of like a behind the scenes secret, something that happened, Watch something from this voice experience that you will remember. I think that might be the best behind the scenes. Is there an iconic moment that you will always have etched in your mind? Is it being there with your mates watching that finale. It was a particular song, it was hanging.
Speaker 2: Out with all the voice contests and getting to know their story behind the scenes sort of you know, jamming by the pool in the hotel, at the hotel, you know, those sort of little things. And also I'm getting to meet the crew, the people that work there. Everyone's got this story and you know, everyone had to put food on the table, and getting to meet these kind of people were Yeah, that was the real highlight of my journey.
Speaker 1: I'd say, do you know what, I also think I hope everyone's hashtagged at it at on social media. Ed Sheeran Kings of Leon Chris Isaac like, you know, the people that you recreated their songs, they must be so they would be elated to hear your versions. I think, Wow, we need to make sure those people hear what you did with their work, because it was it was raised and you're a legend raising the bar.
Speaker 2: You're a leegend. Mate. This early in the morning and I feel like, you know, I've had the best day already, got out.
Speaker 3: To you amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, I just I'm in your audience, my friend. I am going to be there for the journey. I will buy your music, I will follow your story, enjoy this voice experience. Congratulations again Thanks Lenny, appreciate you it mmm