Speaker 1: Laura, come on, oh we're bad.
Speaker 2: Did you miss us? Everyone?
Speaker 3: We're back after many weeks. Do you know what I'd like to say? Mitch, I missed you, and Britt I missed you, even though right now two of you were spent way too much time together.
Speaker 4: Laura, you just made that sound like you weren't going to add me into that.
Speaker 5: You're like, Mitch, Britt, you two.
Speaker 4: I just was leaving you hanging because the two of you guys over our break went and had what looked like the most amazing holiday together, and I spent it dying in bed with pneumonia.
Speaker 2: So I have a bit of beef with both of you.
Speaker 1: No, it was looked like the best couple's trip of a lifetime. I got so many messages saying congrats on a coming out as straight and be the marriage with Britt. Britt, No, that's not true. We just had a friendship get away right.
Speaker 4: It's actually so funny because Mitch, to me, you're blatantly gay, Like you are very gay.
Speaker 2: So when people think, when people.
Speaker 4: Think that we are a couple, I'm like, how did that happen?
Speaker 5: Like you you're very gay.
Speaker 4: I think it's because you spend more time with Mitch than you do with your actual boyfriend, Britt.
Speaker 2: That's probably the really people are like, oh, wait, is there something going on here that we don't.
Speaker 1: Know about it. I think I'm going to rebrand my dating apps to say blatantly gay, Blatantly it's true, blatantly gay. No, So, Britta and I were alway traveling, but you is really sick.
Speaker 3: Laws Yeah, I mean, okay, I wish I could have been jealous, but I literally spent two weeks of our break. I thought I had the flu, and then it got a little bit worse, and I was like, oh, maybe this is COVID.
Speaker 2: Everyone's got the spicy cough.
Speaker 4: But no, I took it one step further and I got myself some good old fashioned pneumonia, which meant I spent ten days completely in bed. And yeah, my poor husband had to take over all of the household and parenting duties for the holidays.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, you're good. Now we're here for twenty twenty four. We've returned to the airways, and we've cooked up a brand new segment, which I think is perfect. Britta, Laurie, you don't know what this is about, but let's just say get ready to be opinionated and get ready to be divisive.
Speaker 2: I mean, we love argument on this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's start the year off with an argument. A brand new segment for the pickup starts us for the year. Welcome everyone, ladies. Shall we kick off with a brand new segment?
Speaker 5: I mean, you've been holding this over us, but yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: This game is meant to be very fun. Be pumped Britt and Laura for this.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: So listen, there's a lot going on in the culture at the moment. People are talking about things. Let's just say that. So I thought what better way to reflect what the world is discussing than to bring these topics to you Britain, Laura every Monday, and then you choose whether or not you want to pick up the topic or you want to put it down. I like it this whether you loathe.
Speaker 2: It, okay, But Mitch, what happens if we don't agree?
Speaker 4: Because Britain and I often disagree on everything, always disagree, we actually do.
Speaker 1: That's kind of our magic. I will then jump in. I can be the voice of reason. I'll go out, but the referee. I like this, all right, so let's jump in. You need to either pick up or put down awards season.
Speaker 4: Put down like awards.
Speaker 1: I'm bored.
Speaker 2: I'm bored.
Speaker 3: There's been way too many, Like Golden Globes chat. We even on the podcast they talked about the Critics Choice Award.
Speaker 2: I just don't care anymore. I'm bored.
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not about it.
Speaker 4: I do like to look at the fashion, I will admit, but that's about it. I stay on the outside in the red carp and I don't enter the building. Don't get me wrong. If it was an industry I worked in, I would care. I just don't work in the industry.
Speaker 3: So I mean, you know, I'm not watching the Teacher's Awards, I'm not watching the awards for Best Engineering, so all.
Speaker 2: The rest of the awards, I just don't care.
Speaker 1: So if you're nominated, you care about it. But if you're not involved.
Speaker 4: I wanted to be noted, yes, that if I ever make it to Hollywood, that I'm very pro these awards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that you've said it like that.
Speaker 1: Mitch, Yeah, next topic, eating snow.
Speaker 2: Put down?
Speaker 1: Oh, different opinions for it?
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, the only reason I say pick up is because recently over the festive season, Mitch actually, you and I we got stuck in a blizzard in the Highlands of Scotland and we were stuck for hours. Mitch eight all of our rations of food for three days, so we had to start eating.
Speaker 5: Snow just but No.
Speaker 1: What I did was I got a box of chocolates. That's all we had, and we'd finished them, and we were thirsty because we were going into pre diabetic shock from all the chocolate. And I put the lid of the chocolate out the window, collected snow and then funneled it into britz Gallat.
Speaker 3: A couple of questions, one, what color was the snow yellow? Yeah, that's the healthy stuff, that's you know, really rehydrating.
Speaker 1: Is that how it works? Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: He's the golden snow?
Speaker 3: Like Laura, I've never been in a situation where I needed to eat snow. Oh, actually it is a lie at the beach and I got a snow cone, So there you go.
Speaker 1: I'm into it always. Okay, next topic, Oh, this is controversial, the film of the Summer saltburn.
Speaker 4: What we put down?
Speaker 2: Am I a pessimist? That's what I'm learning from this?
Speaker 4: Great Okay, I hate all the good stuff it's cinematic gold controversial.
Speaker 3: I watched Saltburn just the other night, and I thought it was so unrealistic, and I also thought that the relationships lacked chemistry. There, I said it, Okay, you don't like it because it's unrealistic.
Speaker 4: Answer this, Have you watched Shrek? Have you watched Avatar? Because spoiler, they're not.
Speaker 5: Real they're also children's movies. No, they're not. Avatar is not a Yes, Star Trek Star Wars.
Speaker 4: Like, you can't say a movie is not great because it's not realistic, because that that's what movies are, all.
Speaker 1: Right, everyone, Well, I think that segment works. I think we pick up that segment, we carry it on. Do you guys like it?
Speaker 4: I mean, i'd say put down just because I'm a pessmist, but like, look, let's just keep it anyway, two against one, I'm out voted.
Speaker 5: Okay, guys. You might remember a little while.
Speaker 4: Ago I had my very first meeting with my partner Ben's family.
Speaker 5: They live overseas, so we don't see each other often.
Speaker 4: Well, I have just had what I like to call the second first meeting because I really wanted to redo my very first time.
Speaker 5: And let me tell you it didn't go much better the second time.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll hear about it next on the pickup.
Speaker 5: Let me walk you back a couple of months.
Speaker 4: You guys might remember Mitch and Laura when I met my partner Ben's family for the very first time. So my partner Ben lives over in Scotland where long distance. We spent a lot of time on the phone, so I don't get the chance to meet his.
Speaker 5: Family like a normal couple would.
Speaker 4: The first time I met them was probably the most embarrassing moment in my life.
Speaker 5: Let me remind you. The phone dring in FaceTime. I'm about to in the shower, I.
Speaker 4: Am completely naked.
Speaker 5: It has answered.
Speaker 2: It's connected.
Speaker 5: He's in the car driving with his mum and his sister, all on FaceTime.
Speaker 4: Oh how much did they see them nude?
Speaker 1: I dropped to the.
Speaker 5: Ground and I rolled out. I was like, how did they see? And how much did they see? The only coverage I had was some natural body hair.
Speaker 2: Do you think I wanted to know? How much did they see?
Speaker 3: Like listening to that back still, I still want to know exactly. I need to speak to Ben's parents and say no, but really tell me in full detail.
Speaker 5: A graphic detail. How much of bridge body did you see?
Speaker 4: I know, I love that I'm telling you the story and you just keep interrupting with one question and stoped Bridge stop, such as how much?
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 5: What did it look like? What was it wax stripped? Bald? Like, anyway, I'm not telling you too far.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know that, thanks.
Speaker 4: So I wanted to redo that meeting because over the Christmas period I went over to Scotland with my family, so my mum and my dad, my sister which was really cute, and Ben's family came as well. So it was not only my first meeting with his family properly clothed, mind you, but it was my family and his family's first meeting. So it was like this really big moment where I was like, I just wanted it to be perfect, and it was almost perfect.
Speaker 5: One thing went very very wrong.
Speaker 4: So Ben's sister had bought him and myself this beautiful, intricate present that she had like climbed over the Himalayas to go and find this one glass maker that blew the very specific glasses and she made us like this sort of like decoration. I couldn't have just ordered on Amazon, No, because it was so intricate. She made a football for Ben because my partner, Ben plays football soccer, and she was so intricate. It had everything about him, his number, that had our initials, and it was the most beautiful thing. And she was so excited to give it to us handmade. Yeah, from like one person in the whole universe. Probably that doesn't anyway, Handmaid and everyone's around fifteen people are around watching us open it because they just thought it was the cutest thing ever. Sheridan, my sister. It's like happened in slow motion. I opened it and I was like, oh my god, it's beautiful. Ben didn't even get to touch it. Sherry reached over to look at it, picked it up to look at it through the light, and she was like, it's beautiful. And then in slow motion, it dropped out of her hand on the last handmade ball book. No. We all watched it like no, and it smashed into a thousand pieces on the ground.
Speaker 5: She burst into tears. She couldn't look at anyone.
Speaker 4: You know, when I guess three year old gets into trouble, they just freeze. They're like if I don't move and I don't make eye contact with anyone.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 4: So she just there looking at the ground. She's thirty, Britt, I was just face.
Speaker 3: It's such a toddler reaction, like when you think you're gonna get in trouble, you cry, and then you get into less trouble because no one wants to yell at a crying kid. Although I would like to say at least the one thing I'm getting from this is that you, both you and your sister Britt make terrible first impressions.
Speaker 2: Because you made a terrible first impression you on.
Speaker 4: Your first time around, and this time, yeah, I think it's just maybe a hockey trade.
Speaker 5: Naked, I made a great first impression, wash your mouth.
Speaker 4: Maybe to Ben's dad, but I'm pretty sure Ben's mom felt differently about this.
Speaker 1: Wait, so how did the parents react? How did the sister react? Was she devastated and gutted?
Speaker 4: Oh, her face said it all. She has no poker face. But she was really great. She was like, it's totally fine, I can get another one, made no worries. She was really good to tell that her heart smashed into a thousand pieces along with that football.
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: Though people say that first impressions are what matters most, right, First impressions. Last, I made a terrible first impression on Matt's family, like the very first time I met him was a actually on The Bachelor.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you about it.
Speaker 4: Coming up, because I don't think anyone could have done worse, and I've made some gains since then.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 2: Things are going well for me, so you can turn it around.
Speaker 1: Let's also make you guys feel better. We'll open the lines thirteen one oh six y five. What went wrong when you met the in laws? We'll tell you next here at the pickup.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're just talking about those terrible first impressions. You have families, because I had well. I had two first impressions this past year and neither of.
Speaker 5: Them went well.
Speaker 4: But Laura, your first impression with Maddy Jay's family was on National TV, so I can't imagine that went very well.
Speaker 3: I think the whole idea, like the whole saying of first impressions never lie. I don't think it's true because my first time meeting my husband Matt's family was truly terrible, and I like to think that we have made some good headways since then.
Speaker 2: So for anyone who doesn't know.
Speaker 3: Matt and my partner and I we met on The Bachelor on the TV show, Like, what was that like seven years ago?
Speaker 4: Now six years ago? I don't know who's counting. I think you were seven because I was six, but I remember. So we were in Thailand and it was very hot. I was very sweaty, and at the same time, Matt was still dating the other girl who I found out had just met Matt's mum. So she had just had like a lovely date with Matt, met his mom, met his three brothers, and now it was my turn to like walk up and meet the family. Oh stoppy seconds, literally the sloppy seconds.
Speaker 2: He'd been on a date all day with her.
Speaker 1: Did you know or you thought maybe you were first?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: I knew, No, I knew.
Speaker 4: I knew that he was coming from a date with her to then take me to meet his mum and his brother.
Speaker 2: So I was feeling nervous. I had had a few wines. Things didn't go very well. Have a listened to this.
Speaker 1: I felt like she was talking and talking and I didn't seem quite as relaxed as at least.
Speaker 2: Was, And so maybe I had a bit of a w diarrhea. Lots of words were coming out, and probably not that much sense.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure everyone thought I was going to pass out because they hadn't actually taken a breath yet.
Speaker 1: Or you sound many guys.
Speaker 2: I sounded neurotic.
Speaker 1: I was, and he chose you.
Speaker 2: He still picked me.
Speaker 4: Eyes sounded neurotic when I met his mum and his brothers, so much so that his little brother Tom, his little brother Tom took Matt aside and said, I think that Elise is better suited to you.
Speaker 2: I don't think you should pick Laura.
Speaker 4: She seems like maybe she's not one of our people, and she's drunk.
Speaker 2: And now do you know what?
Speaker 4: It makes for an interesting time though, because every time they come over at Christmas or I see them, I'm like, oh yeah, remember that time you told you told this man not.
Speaker 1: To pick me?
Speaker 2: Well he did.
Speaker 1: Thirteen one six five. What happened when you met the in law's ben? Hi, buddy.
Speaker 6: So the first time I met my in laws with the day me and my partner were moving in together and they were helping us move house, and we were getting the bed into our bedroom and we put the headboard up against the wall and it's just like wooden, very heavy things in a dark wood, and it's against this white wall. And my partner's stepmom just waient, Oh, I'll go get a blanket to put behind the headboard so it doesn't knock into the wall. And her dad's just very innocently asked, why would the headboard be knocking into the wall.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, let me draw your picture.
Speaker 7: I forgot whose company I was in, so I just laughed immaturely, and then I quickly realized and I looked up and he was still staring at me, just wondering what I meant, and her stepmom was just started laughing really hard, and I just froze.
Speaker 5: You like we just played twister and wrestling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly. And so I left the room and then I heard her explaining it to him, and she was laughing that he didn't talk to me for the rest of the day.
Speaker 1: Oh no, little.
Speaker 2: Girl, I would. I feel for him. I feel for the man.
Speaker 1: Linda on thirteen sixty five, what happened when you met the in laws?
Speaker 8: Well, it was actually my my husband. Now he was when my boyfriend's first meeting of my parents. Everyone. Just to set the scene, I was cooking dinner, My parents were coming over. My boyfriend was there underknownst to me. His friend had given him a little care pack of edibles earlier that day. He thought, I'll just have a brownie or two.
Speaker 3: Oh no, wait, Linda, what did he do? Was he able to string a sentence together? Was he still trying to talk to your parents?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Yeah, because it was obviously nervous. Yeah, one may have been okay, might have been able to pull it off too. Was just tipped him. I couldn't speak and then have a little kick down, which turned into a little lie down, which just turned into a fully passed out And I was there trying to explain why my gorgeous boyfriend what's snoring on the lounge? Ye, it wasn't it. It wasn't the great.
Speaker 3: What did your parents think? Did they do they put two and two together? Were they like, I don't know about this guy for you? Or were they like, okay, let's wait for a round two?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Well I think they I don't know that they were suspicious, but they thought it was really weird.
Speaker 6: He had to do a lot of spade work and a lot.
Speaker 8: Of stucking up.
Speaker 4: I just think it's rude right, like you'd just be like, how rude that they didn't even come and talk to me.
Speaker 5: He just took himself off and had a nap.
Speaker 1: Sounds like Linda had a little bit of a brandy this afternoon as well. Else I think that she's after picking up. So okay, listen, we're back for twenty twenty four and we are looking after you as you head back to school with one thousand dollars your chance to win a thousand dollars to spend at Office Work. So, if you're a kid, you're listening to us now, we need your help. On thirteen one oh six five A thousand bucks up for grabs. Next on the pickup very very soon or if not now. Really, kids are heading back to.
Speaker 3: School, they are, but also we wanted to celebrate the fact that they're heading back to school because it's a very exciting time.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It can be stressful, it can be expensive. So we've teamed up with Office Works to do this. Just yeah, in Brittany Hockley's hands, she's got a thousand bucks cash all thanks to Office Works for one lucky kid listening to the pickup right now.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine being a school kid and winning one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: I would have been so stoked. I used to call the radio station all the time when I was a little kid. See, thousand dollars is like a million dollars, isn't it like when you're a kid?
Speaker 1: Yes, so much time of me.
Speaker 5: Though now they're used to it. They're like that's pocket money.
Speaker 1: These days, kids are even feeling the punch, like I wonder if the truth feeling not me?
Speaker 3: Well, the tooth very has taken rations now as well. Look, we've put together some very tricky questions and if you, I mean, if you're a smart child out there, if you've got a very intelligent kid, give us a call, because if they can get these three questions right, you will win one thousand dollars to spend offic square.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're doing this all week, So kids or moms or dads, if you're listening, thirteen one oh six y five will get you on Today. Let's go to Chase.
Speaker 5: Hello, chasey Hi, Hi, Chase, Chase. How old are you?
Speaker 6: I am?
Speaker 2: Ninh No?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: And how do you go at school? Chase?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I got very good.
Speaker 6: I enjoy the time from everything you.
Speaker 2: Do, Okay. All right, Chase, I want to know what.
Speaker 5: Your favorite subject is at school.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love science.
Speaker 5: I don't have a science question for you, Chase, but I have a maths question.
Speaker 1: All right, get these three questions right. One thousand dollars is yours?
Speaker 8: Chase.
Speaker 4: Actually, I need to go back to school. It's not even a mass question. Bear with me, Chase. How many sides are there on a decka Gone?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: You know your shapes?
Speaker 6: Chase?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you it's there's a lot of sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you reckon?
Speaker 3: We can drill it down and give Chase the option of three. Okay, Chase, No, he just gave us an answer.
Speaker 1: Oh what was it. I didn't hear that answer. No, the phone line's breaking up, Chase.
Speaker 2: All right, Chase, we're gonna we're gonna drill it down a little bit.
Speaker 3: You're gonna we're gonna make it multiple choice now, Okay, does a deca Gone have seven sides? Twenty sides or ten sides?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's a genius.
Speaker 1: He's a boy genius.
Speaker 4: Chase.
Speaker 2: You gotta ride.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, this one I reckon, You've got this one in your Chase.
Speaker 2: I believe in you. What animals do tadpoles turn into?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, Gus, this is for the wind. Chase. A thousand dollars will be given to you if you can correctly answer this. Chase, who wrote the famous play Romeo and Juliet Chakespeare.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Chase, you are a genius child. That's what we've established here on the pickup today.
Speaker 1: Thousand bucks, Chase, how do you feel? Yes?
Speaker 6: I feel so good. Thank you. You just made my day.
Speaker 2: You made our Chase, You're adorable.
Speaker 1: What are you going to get with that?
Speaker 5: Chase? A thousand bucks? What are you going to spend it on?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna buy something special. I'm gonna go too. This my mom.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm not spending it on my mom. Chase.
Speaker 3: You make sure you buy something that's going to be very helpful for you being at school. And good luck getting back to school this week.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Oh you're so fine, Chase. All thanks to office works who will not be beaten on back to school prices with their price beat guarantee exclusions apply. See the website for details. Another thousand dollars cash injection tomorrow on the pickup if you did miss any of the pickup today, though Laura admitted to traumatizing her children today on the show.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a new thing.
Speaker 3: Every week I come up with a new way, a new fantastic way to traumatize my children. It's character building.
Speaker 1: We'll see tomorrow. Docks are joining us to investigate Laura. See you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We kin't even joke about that.
Speaker 1: Bye, guys.