Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload. This is my sixth bonus episode featuring a quick chat with I'm a Celebrity's latest ejectee AFL megastar Robert Dipper Domenico. This Ossie legend is still one of the most famous names in ossie sport, and while he has been off the field for nearly thirty years, his impact playing for Hawthorne has still made him a household name all these years later. From retiring in nineteen ninety one, Dipper has commented on sport and has still massively sought after to join footy shows and to share his life story. There's way more to this man than just his footy. He's a family man and probably hard for some who grew up in the eighties to understand he's now a grandfather. This episode will talk news headlines, his contribution to I'm a Celebrity, and even a shock revelation about his desire to head back into the jungle. I'd like to welcome to the show the People's King of the Jungle, Dipper Domenico.
Speaker 2: I didn't expect to get all this accolade.
Speaker 1: He were the biggest name in football.
Speaker 2: You happy I did the show? It was a great show to be part of. It was great times, but you knew that you had to perform. Love the experience. I love the conversations I had. I'm a celebrity. Why did you take that Ladies tower? I do it again. But I'm not an all star.
Speaker 1: I'm just congratulations on your time on I'm a celebrity.
Speaker 3: Get me out of here, you bloody legend.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Ben, I really appreciate that. I didn't expect to get all this accolade from the show, but I'm really happy I did the show. It was a great show to be part of.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and you certainly earned your keep making news headlines every day, like I counted them. Every day you managed to make a news headline.
Speaker 3: Were you shocked?
Speaker 1: Were you shocked with the amount of interest that you created during your time on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, funny, Ben, because this year we're able to sit back at home and watch it. Yeah, normally it's live Africa because here of COVID. So we finished filming tenth of Descender I think it was, and I was about about four weeks into the into the show. And and then you sit back and watch it and you go, oh my god, did I say that or did we do that? But you know what, you go in there with open eyes, and I just love the experience. I love the conversations I had and I thought, I thought the conversations I had on the remarks I made always came out with people conversing about what I said or what I didn't say, you know, and that opens up conversation, isn't it?
Speaker 1: One hundred? And you know, did you watch it with your family? I mean, that's the thing most it's a family show and it's rating its tits off. Did you get to sit there and watch it with all of your family?
Speaker 2: Well, actually just my wife and I, Sharyl and I we watched it, but we're on the phone to the kids, of course, Dylan and my daughter and our grandkids and the grandkids watched it as well, and they were sending me. They was sending me videos saying, why did you take that lady's tow Betty? First out? It's like Rob in someone's house. That's from a six year old, you know, So there and they and they were going yucky for the spiders, I ate and or whatever. But it's turned out to be a family a real good family entertainment. Show. Yeah, and then been watching everybody else do their their trials because you come back in the campus say this is what we did, and then actually seeing what they did. Yeah, two different stories.
Speaker 3: There, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean I think it's funny that they say that your grandkids would be like, Grandpa, why is Jess was washing your underpants?
Speaker 2: Well, Grandpa, you know that you never wear underpants. How come you want why you wear underpants? Yeah? Look, it was great and hopefully I've made some really nice friends. So sometimes I watched Sundies and he decided to come with me today and we got into the most beautiful chat. So nice meeting. In a short time. We know more about each other than you know about you know, some of the other oh.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And at one point your social media following went up by six thousand in just ten minutes. I need to ask you. Are you an influencer now? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a blue chick. I've got a blue chick. So so what happened was Ali Sibson came into the camp and what a dear sweet she is. Yeah, and a goer as well. She's awesome in the trials and she was next to my bunk and one morning we have a bit of a chat. I said, oh, by the way, how many follows you guys? She goes, oh, one point three minutes. I go, what I had? Nine thousand, you know, And then I said, that's it. I want to get to a million. Well I'm nine hundred and seventy thousand short, but I'm getting there, and.
Speaker 1: That is just seriously unbelievable. Have you got any ideas on what you might like to flog on Instagram? If you've got some things you'd like to sell.
Speaker 2: No, I love doing photography, so a lot of my photos are about where I am, what I'm experiencing. But it's funny you should say that because there's some people have already asked me about, well would your mind flogging this? And go, well, let me know about your product to see what's going on. But you know, I'm up for sale like Dimmies June ninety nine.
Speaker 1: I love those Dimmies ads. I was actually told very early on that you were going into the jungle. I need to ask, did you find it difficult to keep it a secret that you're going to be a part of the show.
Speaker 2: Now, I just told my family about two weeks before I was going in. I said, oh, by the way, I got something to tell you, and I go, what I'm going to the jungle And they were all excited for me, but no, I had to keep it pretty quiet. But it was nice to be asked to go. And during COVID here, Ben, Yeah, we had like three months or four months of COVID here and I was going nuts. And all of a sudden I could relieve myself from here, going to quarantine and then know when I was going to do something in the jungle. Is fantastic, amazing for the space of my head.
Speaker 1: You know, now you and murhughs Now have both been in the jungle. You've both been in time a celebrity. Who has the better mustache?
Speaker 2: Oh well, if he asked Merv, he has, I think he's a ripper. But what happens Ben? He gets hey, I know you, you're you're awesome. Actually did he hates that? And on the other one, I know you you're a ripper actually, Mirv going no, I'm not Morv. So we we get confused to saye or people get confused about us. But now he's been in the jungle. A lot of my ex teammates like German and Shane Crawford and Josh Gibson and a lot of footy players have been in there as well. But I just hope I did well for everybody to see that we're still very competitive. I know that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean you can't get rid of that competitive spirit, you know, that's a part of being a footing player. I have to ask, what did you think of the relationship between Ash and Abby. Did you think that it was going to amount to something serious or did you think it was just a bit of fun in the jungle.
Speaker 2: A bit of fun in the jungle. But fle look, you know, I'm not one to prive on other people's business, you know. But they hugged it out and actually we put a little wedding in a dish wedding in a way because we broke them up. We broke them up, but I think they're back together. No, I don't think it was going to go anywhere. But end of the day, love the one you're with. I reckon one hundred.
Speaker 1: There was a bit of controversy about you talking about Abby in her baths at one point, and you know, Ash had his top off and so people are like, oh, can you make those comments. But I think the real debate is who's the biggest show off out of Ash and Abbey.
Speaker 2: She's a dynamite, didn't she. But on that comment there was basically it was a throwaway comment, of course, and it's sort of watching it now, I understand how how it looked and how it shouted to her and I really didn't mean anything by it. But it opened up a conversation, didn't it. Certainly once again people were talking about you know, the young ones will given it to me and the go Well, back in our day we used to say that and then Ash with his abs, but we used we used Ash to wash our clothes. We laid him down and just washed our clothes with his abs.
Speaker 3: I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: I show off. I think Abby be the best show off. She's a ripper, she got every move and she's she speaks so good and she's passionate about what she does. Now.
Speaker 1: Fans were also divided with the Rice incident with you and Grant, which was great television. I'm going to say, but as you guys seem to really butt heads over this, I need to ask you what was it about the situation that had really bothered you.
Speaker 3: Was it the grant?
Speaker 1: Maybe he should have pulled you aside and said it to you one on one.
Speaker 2: No, what it was is the fact that it wasn't my role just to cook as well. And I'm surprised how many people can't cook, and they really depended on me and Colin hands up by left cooking and so so in the morning I started the porridge and the way we went, and then I thought, you know, i'll start something that I washed the rice, I'll get going, I'll start cooking the right and I fell asleep. But then you got people sitting down watching the rice burn and they go, oh, the rice is burning. Well, what don't they get up or wake me up? You know? But I think we're all hungry, and we're a little bit just tied as well because you have these ups and downs. But I'm glad he said something. And I said to him, you said that one more time, I'll meet you over there.
Speaker 1: I do you think I was out of place and saying that maybe if we.
Speaker 2: Went out of place, you just felt what you just said, what you felt. It's okay, we did.
Speaker 3: None of us want to lose an entire meal, that's all.
Speaker 2: But show one more time. I'll come and see you out of there.
Speaker 3: It was good television.
Speaker 2: But we hugged it out. I tweeked it out with Abby and I hugged it out with Grant.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of things that you eat in the jungle, Now you ate a spider, which was hilarious.
Speaker 3: I thought i'd give you this fact.
Speaker 1: Did you know that we eat at least six spiders a year in our sleep? This is a weird fact I found on the internet. I need to I've always been apparently asleep through all the spiders I've eaten.
Speaker 3: And what does it taste liked? What did that spider taste like?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, we'll talk about a husband here. A husband tastes very squishy and very dry. Because it stuck to the top of the roof of your mouth, I couldn't get it down quick enough, you know, I sort of stuck there with a couple of legs hanging out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you what really grows.
Speaker 2: But eating that bowl of pig's blood, fermented egg, two fish eyes, one ratch tail, and some worms. That was a killer. But we did it, and we became world champions.
Speaker 3: What was the worst thing you ate?
Speaker 2: I reckon the worst thing I ate was a fermented egg. Ah, that's talking about it. The smell of it. Now.
Speaker 1: Just a bit of a serious question here with one of the conversations you have with Jack Vigeon, when it comes to sort of homosexuality in sport, do you think that we'll see footballers coming out soon?
Speaker 2: I think we're all grown up, haven't We had the last maybe twenty years. Have a good thing about today, especially the young people who now talk about their issues, their feelings. I think it's you know, if anybody does come out, it's acceptable. I mean, it's acceptable anyway, but I think we all understand where people coming from now. And having that conversation with Jack and I asked him about his sexuality and he was happy to talk about because he's I had a feeling that he was ready to talk about it. He's ready to sort of say the world, Hey, I'm out, you know. I said to him, you own it. It's beautiful, young man, and yes.
Speaker 3: Bitch, hey, I loved his catchphrase.
Speaker 2: Will say it. I love that. And his other say was these lips may not be real, but they speak the truth.
Speaker 3: When it sounds like he needs to be in the Real Housewives of Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now the format changed a little this year with people being eliminated in a different way. Ejected should I say? But if the nominations process had been put in place and you guys were evicting each other, who would you have given one point to save and one point to evict?
Speaker 2: I would think that I'd give just one point and I would think that who will I get rid of? Probably sick of his body?
Speaker 3: Stop rubbing it in my face, like stop it?
Speaker 2: Like you know I used to be like that thirty years ago, and we know.
Speaker 1: I think I've still got my footy card of you, to be honest with you, I'm still oh my old.
Speaker 2: Now I think ye just won that that beautiful bedroom on the line, have to sleep up there with a beautiful cook breakfast. And everyone voted for her because she's such a Bogain and she's just a lovely Bogain. She she loves being a boga. She did everything and anything for anyone.
Speaker 1: Well, it's down to the final choice and the public will decide who's going to win this thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Granted is a favorite, you know, and he really opened up what a journey he's had, work a whole has break him back, not believe in himself, and I think he really got a lot of out of the Jungle. I think it's between those two.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'm going to take those I'm going to take those suggestions to sports bet and see see if I win any money. I'll get back to you on that one. It was so fantastic to be able to have this chat with you. You were fantastic in the show, and I just I can't wait for you to do the next celebrity show, maybe Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: Now, I'd love to go back on this show. And how good would it be doing the Jungle every year? I might start something. I might be the bandy rider in the Jungle.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually think that there's been a rumor floating around for a while now for a All Stars season, So you know, we've seen so many seasons of the show. Would would you go back and do it again next year for All Stars?
Speaker 2: I'd do it again, But I'm not an All Star. I'm just I'm just.
Speaker 1: Well mate, fantastic to have this chat with you. Thanks, thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.