Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 1: It is Flex and Rooms on CATA And do they just give podcasts to anyone these days? Yes, it's looking like it. Someone cament on a TikToker that I was saying we should start a podcast. Yeah. I didn't like that. I shouldn't have real shared it. It's the energy, but it is what it is. I love this and I stand by it. Yeah, I stand by it. Listen. Emma Chamberlain, social media superstar, has a partty called Anything Goes, and in one of the most recent episodes, she posts the question is it narcissistic to post photos of yourself? I like to say words mean things, and we just like take words and throw them at the wall and hope they stick. I understand what is being said here, but do we all have personality disorders for taking photos? I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is I think social media can actually and us into narcissists, even if we weren't before. I think social media has a tendency to bring out a very narcissistic side of us that might have remained dormant otherwise.
Speaker 1: Emphasis on dormant otherwise that in your sister, it was in your system, and if it wasn't social media, it was going to be something else. Before we used to post on social media, we all look to opportunities to talk about ourselves, to.
Speaker 2: Bring bring the family photo booths, photo constantly.
Speaker 1: Put it constantly. When I walk into my family home and I go into my living room. When I go into my living room, there are photo frames all on the walls. Who's in those photos? You, babe? My mom house, says Queen Liz, Like you know where you are, babe, you know where you are socials, but she knows. And everyone's thinking that, like, being self interested is a modern problem. What about the Greek mythology of narcissists, the guy who was so obsessed with his own reflection? Come on, now, it's just human nature love the way that even being loathing, being a self loathing, self deprecating character is so self interested. Ah, it's boring to the point I want to seple obsessed with themselves who like themselves as a starter. So yes, The question is, has social media turned us into narcissists? Hasn't turned It's given us an environment to do so with reward. When I remember I was telling that story of like me being sixteen telling that story. No one was listening, and I was like, I need to learn how articulate. When I was on my journey of learning how to articulate, one thing that said to be mindful of is speaking in imperatives, saying things like always literally yeah, like constantly when you really mean continuously and sometimes and every now and then. And we fall into the trap because it's like fill a language and stuff. So I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she didn't mean everyone and we're all narcissists. I think it's an oversight to assume that in this society where people are now interested in improving their self concept and sharing to the world, that it's always going to be negative. I would much rather this than a generation of like insular, closed off people who feel as though their stories and their likeness is not worthy of sharing like it used to be. I remember when I worked in PR I would have been like nineteen or something, and my co worker at the time was like, you should post your outfits on Instagram, And I was like, why would I ever post on Instagram? Who cares what I do? She's like, that's a very damaging mentality, and I was like, what do you mean. She's like, what do you mean? Who cares what you do? I'm like, I don't understand what you're saying. Like so I get what I'm saying, but you know, I was nineteen, you know, but that mentality it bleeds over into everything. Why shouldn't people have permission to share their thoughts, both informed and uninformed. I think the damaging part is that we as consumers and audience members aren't just certain enough to know that some things aren't for us to care about. I can see someone crying on the internet, think it's weird and move on, as opposed to now trying to pathologize why they're doing that, if it's a narcissistic act or whatever, whatever, whatever whatever. That's what we should be focusing on. You know, Slay, not the Sligh, Not Sleigh. I said, not the Sleigh. Think about the little English boy with a little tiny cat on trying to listen to our show in eighteen hundreds, seeing what one of these girls on about. Okay, he got Spotify. He's a chimney sweep and he's just scraping by it together a Spotify premiership by Everyone's Chimney's. Okay, did you ever think about him constantly? Hello, my name is little Thomas Money. I'm here to swape your chiel industrial revolutionary where everyone's working eighteen hundred. You got to see trains as training. Hello, Love? Can I please sweep your Chimney love Force? But off I Premium Flex Fruits. I'm interrupted with Noah heads. Otherwise I'm on the iHeart roser up because I prefer you listen on there. Please, so breaking its back at eight years old to listen to us, babe, nay, listen to Dine Audio podcast to see what is podcast?
Speaker 2: Babe?
Speaker 1: He knows he gets it. He's a real one. Okay. So I can't say sligh, but I can say podcast. I'm done, miss you already, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, tune into cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.