Speaker 1: Good day.
Speaker 2: This is Peter Hell.
Speaker 3: Are you welcome to You ain't seen nothing yet? In the Movie Podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now, and today's guest writer Trent Roberts.
Speaker 1: The first rule of fake Club is you do not talk about fake club now. It was your friend up. You broke my heart.
Speaker 4: I admire your luck, mister Bond.
Speaker 2: James boss.
Speaker 1: Me haven't any right now, don't see nothing here.
Speaker 3: I first met Trent Roberts about five years ago when I was looking for somebody to join the How to Stay Married Season two writing team. I had looked around and then sorted the advice of Wayne Hope and Robin Butler, whose work I've long admired.
Speaker 2: And when they said that I would be a massive.
Speaker 3: Fan of Trent, who had worked with them on Up Middle of Oogin, that was enough for me.
Speaker 2: I was hooked.
Speaker 3: So I had a conversation with Trent, and he was on the team, and I have not only not regretted it, but it's been a real joy to get to know Trent. He came onto the team and delivered in space. His writing was hilarious, heartfelt, and clever. In the writer's room, he was always such a lovely, calming and respectful presence. Sometimes he would be sitting there listening and then as soon as he spoke, he always he had answers to any of them the problems that we were discussing. His episodes were always heartfelt and clever, and as a result, many of these episodes resulted.
Speaker 2: In award nominations for his writing and for the show.
Speaker 3: Now, Trent has joined the kids lit community with his debut picture book, They're Very Funny at Dinosaur eight Dad's Hair, which has gone very well, but it's his latest book that's generating quite the buzz. It's for middle grade kids. It's called Stunt Kids, and it is. It's funny, it's sweet, it's action packed. If your kids loved Frankie Fish and I hope they did, still available in Lorgal bookstores, they will love Stunt Kids. It is fantastic and apart from being enormously talented, Trent is kind. He's fun, he's curious, he's hilarious, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Trent Roberts. My three favorite films are Trainspotting, Shot EMII, and Spinal Tap.
Speaker 2: We cover is sexist?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with being sexy?
Speaker 1: And I hadn't seen Gremlins until last night.
Speaker 3: Yes, before we knew the rules of fight Club, there were the rules of the Bugwai. And if these rules won't follow your cute little kid and would turn into a bloody cane toad with a penshone for smoking, drinking, exposing themselves and generally running a muk billies. Zach Gallaghan's inventor father ran hot accident just into Chinatown with dual purposes the floggy, his latest invention, the bathroom Buddy, and to hopefully buy his son a Christmas gift, and he's taken to a hidden and mysterious op shop. What he walks out with is an exotic pet that, if not taken care of correctly, will cause havoc in the town of Kingston, falls from the pen of Christopher Columbus. Produced by the Great Steven Spielberg and directed by Joe Dante, Gremlins opened on the very same day as Ghostbusters.
Speaker 2: In nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: It became the fourth highest film of that year, behind Beverly Hills Cop Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Gremlins is a film that doesn't take itself too seriously, embracing the horror tropes, the film is a pre cgi delight. Trent Roberts, do you think America should have tighter gun restrictions when it comes to Gremlins?
Speaker 1: Wow, we've hit it.
Speaker 2: You thought you're coming here comedy?
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 1: I was amazed at the gun use of the Gremlins, Like they have a bevy of weapons at their disposal. I don't obviously hadn't seen the move until last night, so I thought they might have just been a biting kind of yeah, but no, they've got bow and arrows and guns and like anything, like anything I could find became a weapon. I think tidy gun restrictions for them would be.
Speaker 2: Good, at least health checks. I mean rarely maybe think.
Speaker 3: Actually, we don't get too much into Gremlins just yet, but he made me think that in horror films guns aren't usually used, like because I guess it's too easy to have the villain's running around with the gun, you know.
Speaker 2: So to see the sea little villain with the gun was kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was constantly surprised, like this film is wild, like even by today's standards. I think I was blown away by what the Gremlins got up to there. They each had these kind of different characters that they took on. Their violence was extreme. They partied hard, like they really partied.
Speaker 2: They were a hard partying crew. There's no doubt about that. We'll get to Gremlins. Why you Why hadn't you seen it? Was this something that you kind of thought you had to see?
Speaker 1: I well, I had a very specific reason for not seeing it. I saw Ghostbusters and had terrible nightmares afterwards. And when I was writing to about this, I felt really bad about that. But I was only nine. No one else but no one else I spoke to ever had nightmares about Ghostbusters. It was always like, it's an awesome film, but the Sigourney Weaver stuff was pretty intense. But I had my nightmares about And then I guess this is what's the embarrassing bit, is that the fun ghost I can't remember his name, Oh yeah, forgot yes, but who wasn't kind of scary in the end. He was kind of one of the gang almost yeah, but I kept thinking he was behind my cupboard, and so when all my friends went to see Gremlins, I'm like, definitely not, Like I'm not ready and it was a source of shame until I realized it, like I was nine or ten. I think that's okay because when I came to watch Gremlins last night, my kids are thirteen and ten, and I decided that they weren't ready for it. And I think that was a good decision. Like, I don't think it's suitable. It's way way more intense than a lot of the because I think, you know, we sort of think that our kids are desensitized because of some of the things that they've seen. But this is, like I think I texted you, this is wild, Like the scenes were in the bar, they the Gremlins are nuts, Like it's really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's Mad Monday for the Gremlins. Let's get back.
Speaker 3: We'll come back to the Gremlins very soon. Your three favorite films are great films, and they all make complete sense that these are some of your favorite films.
Speaker 2: So let's start.
Speaker 3: And they've all been I'm pretty sure they've all been nominated. Certainly Spinal Tap has been nominated by many a comedian as their favorite film, and what an influence that movie has had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was I think that I was reading something this morning because I was just thinking a lot of my favorite things were all within this five six year period, and I think they did this study with music and films that fifteen to twenty five, I think is when you're you're going to be most passionate about you think as you see an experience in here in that time and I think mine, but Spinal Chat was when I first kind of went like I really love comedy, Like I don't know what this is. I just and it was. I think it was one of the first ones I just watch over and over.
Speaker 3: That in Top Secret, that's come up a few times, and that is I'm always happy when somebody mentions Top Secret because it is so so good.
Speaker 2: Well, COM's first film.
Speaker 1: And best film, Like it's so good in it, He's.
Speaker 2: Great, he's so great. Well he's never been as funny, you know, Like that just blew my mind.
Speaker 1: I just found that. I don't know if it's appropriate these days, some of the humors probably doesn't stand the test of time, but genuinely like heaps of laugh out loud stuff, which is it's.
Speaker 2: A celebration of silliness. Yeah, and there should be more of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And that kind of genre of the flying high and those kind of really really silly things that you do kind of they take you by surprise because they're so mad. That was kind of my introduction to comedy, and I think that came. I watched it about the same time as I got into the Simpson So I was like, and I started watching all the comedy festival shows and recording. I was like, comedies. I don't want to be a comedian, but I love watching comedy yea. And so yeah, that was a huge seminal thing for me and a real bonding thing for our friends because we all just loved and I think we're hopefully going to see you and I play with yeah next. I think it's next weekend.
Speaker 3: So by the toid this goes, you would have already seen it. And I'm jealous. I can't I consider getting over for it. So you are my who are like them? In the National will be the two favorite man's great choices and and Tim Rodgers, I think is maybe the best song writer I think Australia is produced and apologies to Mick Thomas, Paul Kelly, Nickay clayvodic in case Chambers, But I just think Benethanning and this goes on. But Tim is just incredible. The band's incredible. I see him live whenever I can. And they are playing the songs of Spinal Tap with Harry Shearer. Yeah, incredible, amazing.
Speaker 1: I remember when I first found out that Harry Sheer did a lot of the voices on the Simpsons, and like, he's just the ultimate human. It's the social Security number, not not not not not not not not too damn. He's in my favorite movie, He's on my favorite TV show, and not only just the voices of the Simpsons, like apes of them, like all these great characters. And yeah, to think that he's gonna be playing with you, who, I'm the same. I just like I think Tim is often a voice in my head when I'm writing, going that's crap, like just do something about I do something like I do, And I'm like, oh, I wish mate, Like yeah, I think he's a genius and yeah I can't. I saw them last time when they did the Spinal Tap songs. I'm coming what that night was called? But that yeah, the idea that they're doing with Harry's it's like wild.
Speaker 3: I did community radio plenty of l FM eighty eight point six still eight point six, and I did a little breakfast show like it's actually a brunch kind of show, mid morning kind of show, and with my good friend James Brasher, a very funny guy, and he and we used to swing for the fences, I think for memory. I used to like try to book as many guests as I could, and I used to ring the you know, the big publicists around town, like around comedy festival time, and they're often very good. We often win interview people. I got interview Mick Thomas, who was a hero of Marvin Wedding's parties anything. And we interviewed sort of the working dog guys, you know, Tom Gleisner and Rob Sitch. They're always very generous with their time and support. And I also the biggest interview we got somehow, we got Harry Shearer and I think it was when he came down to do Frontline. He did that one episode of front Line as an American consultant, and he did a few you know, he's very generous with his you know, if you ask him to deal with money burns. He'll do money, but he's so generous with it. And it's a spooky hearing those voices come from the other end. Yeah, so spinal tap and then obviously the influencers had like the Office doesn't exist without totally the whole mockumentary to give birth to his genre is an amazing thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't think it was a hit when it first came out, was it? I think it might have been that.
Speaker 3: A lot of the movies we ended covering on this on this podcast are not hits on release, so I think you might be right.
Speaker 2: And have you listened to the commentary of the DVD commentary?
Speaker 1: That would be great.
Speaker 3: It is as funny as the film. Yeah, get your hands on the DVD commentary and and listen to the commentary. It is all them doing it, pointing out in character and pointing out basically everyone who's died.
Speaker 2: Since since the since the movie came out. It's hilarious. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Train Spotting is an awesome film. I actually watched it recently. You and McGregor, very young, Neil McGregor, Kelly McDonald, Robert Carlin. Yeah, and of course directed by Danny boy Yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I that that. I used to have American beauty at the top of my list, but I can't anymore. Just that Kevin Spacey things kind of just ruined it for me. But Trainsporting is just consistent again in that kind of I think I was twenty one when it came out. I had hair the same as you and McGregor, but just a lot more. Receding had a T shirt that I bought. It was like the one he was worrying. And I traveled to around the world by myself and went to Edinburgh. I was reading the book because.
Speaker 2: You're a heroin.
Speaker 1: So I don't remember much of that time, but no, it was I read the book, I went to like I went to Glasgow into Edinburgh. I was just like immersed in it. And that train, the soundtrack obviously was just so huge and playing everywhere I went, and so to me that just I just keep coming back to that. It's like I just loved it so much and whether or not it's the greatest film of all time, I just what it meant to me. And I think that's the same with all the films that I kind of went through. It's maybe it's an egotistical thing, but it's how they made me feel or what I was going through at the time, and how much of an impact they had on me. And I just I just thought that the dialogue was just so brilliant, the characters were amazing, the state were so high, but then it was so funny. So many scenes that you kind of go like, I just can't remember anything, but like the you know, obviously the sheet and the sheets and the baby on the roof, and it was just such an I saw transporting too as well, which doesn't quite live up to the I was going.
Speaker 2: To ask you about that. I it's not as good as transporting. Yeah, but I think there's a I think it was a good film.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it. I think it was definitely a good film. And and yeah, I came out of it pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to not like it at all. But yeah, it wasn't Maverick. It wasn't it was It wasn't gonna make a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I thought for what they were going for, and I know the exact same experience I walked out going that was pretty good. Actually, I'll watch it again totally. Yeah, Emily, Yeah, what a joy a joyous film. This was its release and kind of took the world by storm. And yeah, a beautiful film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so rare that you see a film that's just the heart of it, even though obviously, again the stakes are high and there's all sorts of drama and it's just a pure optimism like her outlook, I love magical realism. Like I'm a huge fan of anything that kind of pushes the boundaries in that front. I still love female protagonists more than I love male protagonists. I think I'm not exactly an Alfa male, probably more in the Zea male category. So I loved her, loved loved everything about that film, and I've watched a lot of times, and it does kind of drag you out of whatever headspace you're in it into this beautiful world that we just kind of all wish we lived in it.
Speaker 3: It's what I love about foreign language cinema, Like if you're watching a English you know, speaking film, sometimes for me it needs to be you know, almost fantasy, you know, Star Wars or a lot of the rings for me to like completely lose myself. So, I mean that was actolutely invested in the story and I'm focused, and yeah, a lot of the you know, most times that happens. But the experience you get with a foreign languagement where you can feel like you are in Paris or you know, you are in Spain in the eighteen hundreds, you know, like it's it's it's an extraordinary feeling. I love things I love less, like resist subtitles, and I always say, you you forget about them within three minutes. You'll forget that you're doing it, that you break your brain will just work it out and.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 3: It transports me more, I think, you know. And one of the first French films I saw was called The Apartment.
Speaker 2: Did you see that?
Speaker 1: I was going to be in my top three? I loved it. I loved it, loved it so much.
Speaker 3: There's money. Yeah, it's a beautiful, beautiful film. And I didn't see it for many, many, many many years, and then I tracked it down on DVD, you know, probably regional six, seven years ago and watch it again and it holds up beautiful.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get I don't hear about it much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the time I was blown away by it's because I Mets Monica get Married and yeah, Yeah, And I think I saw a lot of their films after that because of I think I saw it at the cinema the Apartment, and I think maybe it was one of the first sort of foreign language films I've seen. You know, when you kind of move from that seeing die Hard and all the box of stuff, there's other things. There's other films that actually resonate with me a lot more.
Speaker 3: Friendship makes complete sense because I reckon I had the same thing going on. I saw it at the cinema, the Keuno Cinemas in Melbourne. I'm probably sitting a few seats at.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 3: It is a fantastic film, Armorlee, check it out, those three films, Trained, Spotting, Armie and Smile Tap And I look forward to covering those films in more depth with somebody who hasn't.
Speaker 2: Seen all Right, let's do it. It's time.
Speaker 3: Nine eighty four Joe Dante, produced by the great Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 2: Funnily enough, no real actors who went on to become massive names.
Speaker 3: And this sometimes you look back at these films that are big films, you know, Phoebe case the do some stuff, Judge Reynhall is in there, but young Corey Feldman, but nobody who kind of goes on becomes you know, somebody massive.
Speaker 1: But did you enjoy it? I did?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: I wished I saw it at the cinema. Now, even though I would have been terrified, I think being in a cinema full of people, especially when the Gremlins go rogue, would have been great because I was watching it on my own, and actually I don't think I should watch stuff on my own. I really do feed off other people's energy. Really, Yeah, even like watching my favorite TV shows, I need my partner or one of my kids. Maybe I've got some problems, but I think I really wish I saw it in the cinema because I think it would be just so exciting when they do transform.
Speaker 2: But I did.
Speaker 1: I totally loved it. I thought it was nuts and there were some things in it. I was like, like, one O. The thing that stood out for me was how no one was that phased by Gizmo's appearance, Like no one was kind of like is that a dog or an eye or whatever?
Speaker 2: Was like, hey, nice one, what is not an overreaction?
Speaker 3: They definitely freaks out that there is this creature that they've never seen before. Imagine going to a pet store and they see maybe you're looking for a dog or a kitten, and then they go, we got this also, and it's a koala combined with a monkey or something. And you're like, oh, yeah, we'll have one of these these twohundchred bucks. What a hundred bucks doesn't cover it? Yeah, this thing that I've never seen before.
Speaker 1: It's like a fair price, doesn't it for a one of a kind creature that's never existed in any other universe.
Speaker 2: Let's have it. Let's have a little we'll get into it.
Speaker 3: Let's have a quick listen to when Rand the dad played by Hoyt accident he is the Moguai singing and his reaction, what is it?
Speaker 4: Mog Why.
Speaker 1: What's he doing singing?
Speaker 4: He does that sometimes.
Speaker 1: I gotta have him.
Speaker 6: He's incredible.
Speaker 5: Tell you what I'll do.
Speaker 1: I'll give you one hundred dollars for him.
Speaker 5: No, look, I've got to have him. It's a present for my son for Christmas. It's exactly what I've been looking for and I've been everywhere. I'll give you two hundred dollars. That's two hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Moghay not for sale. I thought you said everything at your grandfather's store was for sale.
Speaker 3: Grandfather, but morequai.
Speaker 2: It comes much responsibility.
Speaker 1: I cannot sell him at any price.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he great, kid's got other plans. I think I just realized that the Muguay sound but he's singing there, I think is I think the dial up connection was based on that noise. But if you love the line, this is exactly what I've been looking for about something that doesn't even exist.
Speaker 1: So good. He asked the question what is it? He goes, mog why, and then there should be twenty more questions after that, but he jumps into what's it doing, which is clearly singing, like it's amazing that he just the suspension of disbelief. I love that, And that's sort of how everyone else reacts about the.
Speaker 2: Whole film and the whole but nobody is. Nobody goes what the hell?
Speaker 1: Mary Feldman, Corey Feldman.
Speaker 3: He gets bitten, and then he then he becomes obsessed, like literally like five seconds later, he's obsessed with the old three D glasses. Now I know three D glasses were spooking people out in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 5: But a mog why.
Speaker 2: Beats three D glasses every single time.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that was a choice. I can wonder I.
Speaker 2: Reckon because I reckon in those films.
Speaker 3: You do need to decide, Okay, when do our character stop freaking out at this bizarre thing that's happening.
Speaker 2: They held it off to.
Speaker 1: Have some.
Speaker 3: Like that. I mean the dad, The dad is weird, the parents, it's a way the family set up. I mean that dad is a ship. Dad is a ship Dad like he and he's a bit of a shit character. Maybe he's a character more than he's a ship dad. By the way, I love this film, So I like there are things. Yeah, we're taking the pits, but this is a film that doesn't take itself too seriously, and I wanted to mention that in the intro. So when we're pointing these things out, it's not at the expense of enjoying the film, at least from from from any man.
Speaker 2: And you can but the dad.
Speaker 3: First of all, he narrates the film. He doesn't deserve to narrate the film, Like it's not his story. He claims it as his story. Usually, when you have a narrator doesn't necessarily need to be the main character. Doesn't need to be Billy, but it needs to be somebody who has observed the story unfold, and he's there, you know, for large parts of it. He kind of just wanders in in weird moments.
Speaker 1: He does because I did some deep diving. The narration happened because they deleted an earlier scene, which seemed to be so because I was really spun out that the rules of the Mogua were in voiceover like that felt like it should have been a big moment, even if it was just the kids saying to the guy like, these are the three rules, miss, But it's the kid's voice over in the middle of the dad walking slow mode straight, So I feel like there was another scene that got cut. Yes, I totally agree that the dad shouldn't be doing the narration. I don't know why the Sun isn't doing it, even though again love the film. The Sun's got one of the weaker characters as well. I think Phoebe Kates is way more interesting. We will get to Billy, you get to Billy. But yeah, the dad country music star I found out right, Yeah, Okay, I love his name Hoyte Point, So yeah, I think he was probably one of the bigger plays. Maybe he was one of the bigger names at the time. That's why he got the voice saver.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: I read that he also he had lived a lot of his lines. It's like, what's the seriously, you didn't have any good lines? Maybe stick to the script, like there was no real flare that he seems to like.
Speaker 2: You, Sally, you know what he had?
Speaker 3: Wow, he had lived those lines. It's like, well that was underwhelming. Y his performance is fine. I mean it feels a bit phoned in and maybe you know, like they had him for three days and yeah, what he gave he gave them. But yeah, he doesn't desert a narration. The Mum is maybe the saddest character in the film. She reminded me of the mum I Muriel's wedding.
Speaker 1: Like she.
Speaker 2: They don't go into it, but she I don't think he's happy.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: She has one of the maybe the biggest boss scene, which is great, Like that is an awesome scene where she takes on the gremlins in the kitchen and yeah, almost has that line which you know, if de live by Unstruction Nagger, we would all be quoting it. It's like get out of my kitchen. You put that in Arnie's voice, and it's great, it's a great line. Yeah, but Billy, let's talk about Billy.
Speaker 1: Well, just can go back to that scene the mum. I agree, what a sad character like. Her husband is a deadbeat, he's never home. And then so then I'd read it in the first draft of the script that got Steven Spielberg's attention. In that kitchen scene, her head was going to get ripped off by one of the Grimmas and rolled down the stairs. Yes, I'm so glad that didn't happen. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The first script by Chris Columbus was much darker, and it involved yes, the mum being decapitated and your head rolled down the stairs, and that they're going to kill the dog. They can eat the dog, I think, yeah, And then there's gonna be a scene set in McDonald's where the gremlins stormed the McDonald's and instead of eating the burgers.
Speaker 2: They ate the people.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 3: But this is where Steven Spielberg is a genius, Like so I actually, but he didn't direct this film, and of course, you know he's just not one of his but he's you know, you think of Steven Spielberg even, you know, it's amazing how many people think Steven Spielberg direct Star Wars movies like he's just he just has this. As soon as his fingerprints are on it, he you know, he becomes very recognizable through that. And but I think he's a genius. Not you know, there's many reasons why it's genius, but I think one of the reasons is the choices he makes. And I think a lot of those choices come at script stage because Chris Columbus in the first draft there was gonna be no good gremlin, like they're all going to turn in the Gremlins, and Steven Spielberg said, you need one who remains good. And that gives us Gizmo who becomes upon release like basically the marketing the toys go. I'm not I'm not saying Steven Spielberg was was necessarily thinking about that, but to have that, to have him as you know, I mean, you watch it as in that on he doesn't do much.
Speaker 1: He's just kind of very He saves the day, but he says the day, which is unusual. Again, protagonist doesn't say the day. The cute little Mogua and that.
Speaker 3: Was I think there was another Spielberg call in the addit like he was going to like, so, Gizmo, guess the first blinde. I't know, we jumped to the end, but you know, but Gizmo, guess the first blind you know, having the light shine in on on stripe and then and then what was going to happen was Billy was going to get like the next blinds and kind of get more light almost like the kill shot.
Speaker 2: And and I think Spielberg said, let's let let give do it.
Speaker 3: So if you notice, if you go back and watch it, you'll notice that Billy is in a different position.
Speaker 2: He's almost like he's closest the lines. So that's that's why.
Speaker 1: Gism had a bit more of arrange than Billy. I suppose as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a reason, there's a reason he had to say that Zach Allaghan hasn't hasn't kicked on. He wasn't g Grevlins too. But yeah, I mean, Billy exaculate Gallaghan's defense. There's not much for him. There's not one point where where Billy goes I've had enough. Yeah, I've had that to puss his bow, get out of my town Gremlins. He never like, he never has that that moment, even at the end when he gets you know, he's been he's being scratched across the chests. Even then, like there's no kind of feeling like he's really wounded, is there.
Speaker 1: Like he's such a laid back dude that even when he's getting attacked by a grandma and he's like, you know, we're just kind of yeah, yeah, you're right. He never it's such an unusual thing for someone in that position to be the protagonist is usually yeah, go through all these different journeys and in the end he's like, I've got to take them down. But he never gets to that point.
Speaker 2: You think of like Mel Gibson, I can't unleath the weapon.
Speaker 3: When he gets wounded, he gets you feel, you feel him get wounded, you feel him struggle with the injuries and and and and the cuts.
Speaker 2: It's the opposite here with Billy.
Speaker 3: You know, like he's bleeding for the chest and he doesn't like there's no even this like and part of it's directing in his defense, Joe Duante should have said, it's just you know, remember you know you've just been slashed across the chest by, you know, a sharp clawed creature. And I know you haven't freaked out about him once, but maybe it's time. Maybe it's time.
Speaker 2: And then he gets shot, which is like a bow and arrow, and so he gets shot in the arm. It's okay, yeah, that doesn't tickle. I get it. But he's about the faint as I come on, really.
Speaker 1: Throw a He's definitely not your archetypal hero. He's I'm not. I wouldn't say wet, but.
Speaker 2: He's He's was the word I absolutely thought of.
Speaker 1: He's certainly not. He doesn't make any scenes better, no, just and maybe that was, as you say, the writing, the directing. I don't know. I love how we got the roll because he Phoebe Kate's I think, was cast and they got I don't imagine many guys were competing for the role.
Speaker 3: Maybe they were, well I think they were looking at whether or had audership, but they will consider Emilio Esteves, people who were like probably that same almost fire Yeah, yeah, that were that were being considered, and it was I think it was the chemistry between Phoebe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think it was Joe Dantel, whoever was in the room, said I can already see him falling in love with Phoebe, So that's going to be perfect for what we want. Yeah, but they probably should have put a little bit more stock into his acting. A lot of guys are going to fall in love with Phoebe Kate's that's not the hard bit, I don't think.
Speaker 2: No, exactly right, Yeah, gorgeous. Yeah, I can't imagine. I can't imagine Charlie has seen falling in love.
Speaker 1: With the most beautiful women of that era and incredible. I had a great career and at that point, and so yeah, I can't believe that's the chemistry was the reason, because he didn't have any chemistry on screen with anything. Yeah, I don't feel really harsh saying that.
Speaker 3: Listen, he is the lead actor in a film that is hugely success, correct, So he's done something right, He's done a job like generally films don't do this and come such legacy kind of films if the lead actor has completely let the team totally. But yeah, like it is weird watching it kind of going and this is a part of it is casting, a part of it is directing absolutely and writing like Billy is given no real urgency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing that he has to overcome really apart from the gremlins andselves. But his life is he's working in a bank. He's got a pretty downtrodden dog. The lady who there's a lady Deeble wants to Kelly's dog.
Speaker 3: I found that the the weird the weirdness of the the first half hour, more so the setting up of the town. They're setting up this idea that the you know, it's like the rich running the town and the poor, you know, obviously struggling, and so you're thinking, Okay, this's going to tie in. There's gonna be some kind of uprising. Maybe I think Chris Columbus is obsessive. It's a wonderful life because a real it's a wonderful Yeah. Also he in both home alone and homework. It's a wonderful life appears on TV screens. So there it feels like that town and those scenes into wonderful life in the bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a touch of that, but.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really go anywhere, Like we don't really even even this is Devil and the Dog, Like even the dog, the dog's got no agency.
Speaker 1: You thought the dog would come back, wouldn't you surely the dog deserve the hero moment or eat one of the gremlins.
Speaker 2: That's a funny, you know, it.
Speaker 3: Could be a cool scene, but they have a gremlin attack Billy and have his dog come and save the day. But there's no reason for that dog being in that movie.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: The first it's totally right about the first thirty minutes because I was I had to turn my phone off and then I turned it back on then, which is a terrible sign and probably a sign of my decaying attention span.
Speaker 2: Much as the kids, not just as the kids.
Speaker 1: But I do know that eighties movies, as I've watched a few eighties movies, when the kids telling talking them up and then they just sit there for the first half an hour and go like this sucks. Like even ET takes half an hour before ET comes, and so they're like, you know, where's ET, And I'm like, it's going to get there. But they do a lot of just kitchen table scenes, and I think we were way more forgiving of set up in those times, and this one gets straight into it. The first scene is awesome, and then it just goes way backwards in terms of stakes to this like slow town and just this mean old lady and the dog, and I.
Speaker 3: Think all it's trying to do, all it's achieving, really is going these are the people you're supposed to be rooting for, and these are the people we don't care about if they die, which is missus deeble Fundamen, xenophobic, phobic kids on banging on about foreign parts and foreign cars.
Speaker 2: And he's been of a conspiracy theorist.
Speaker 3: It ends up weirdly having some kernel of truth where I think he stumbles upon it being true, which is, you know, probably doesn't age well these yeah these days. But yeah, that's the only thing that I could think of as to what they were trying to do. Judge Reinholds in who goes on he's in Beverly Hills, was in Beverly Hills Cop. Yeah, comes out this year, so he's had a good year. Yeah, But also what happened Like this disappears, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: He totally disappears, and he's good, Like he's good at that kind of I was a massive reinhold fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so good at.
Speaker 1: Being that guy that you kind of, oh, I just want to you know, he's so hateable, but it's so charming at the same time. Yeah, yeah, sets himself up as this kind of antagonist, so it's disappears. It's really odd. It's really odd. It's just you could chop the first thirty minutes, I reckon because you know, like we Pixar, you just talk about setting up who'll be rooting for, who we against? Pixar does that in five minutes.
Speaker 2: I mean like this start of up is like the most extraordinary openings of a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they do that brilliantly. And I think in the eighties they kind of just did set ups where it just like this is the town, he is everyone, and it was just kind of like this real slow build.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I guess that's why I found the film so nuts, because when it does kind of escalate to the Gremlin going wild, it's like, whoa, this is so different than the first Yeah. Like I haven't seen any horror films. I'm not sure of the genre, but like I love the Scream series, and even from the get go, you're kind of like, Okay, I know, I'm on on edge, whereas this film instead of laid back for forty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and what and then there are so many tropes that they use. Like they said, they do embrace a lot of the tropes, even you know, the mum with the knife, you know, and it's get out of the house, Get out of the house, and in the phone discrimt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a shadow on the wall, which I think is Spielberg obviously learnt a huge amount with Jaws, which was by not revealing the shark too early, by having it as a suspenseful thing. And that's why I think he does it with Et and I think you can feel like this holding off.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Obviously we see the Magua gizmo, you know.
Speaker 3: Pretty early, but even then it's it's a slow in sea all at once, you know, it's a slow kind of reveal. But then with the actual Gremlins, it is it's shadows on walls and it's just peaks and and a lot of it. The rule about the bright lights is really only to cover the special effects. That's how they that's why they came up with that rule. Okay, because they're all puppets, so this is pre c.
Speaker 1: G yeah, yeah, which is extremely good puppets too, They're really good.
Speaker 2: I remember watching this a while ago.
Speaker 3: In fact, Ross Noble nominated this as one of his three favorite films, and i'd recently when I interviewed him for the podcast, had just like grabbed, you know, I was watching Foxtail and like grabs you know, ten to fifteen minutes of it, and I kind of thought, oh, yeah, yeah, the Gremlins.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not great, are they?
Speaker 3: But when you watch it as a film, you get used to it and it's it's quite it's quite good. And Russ pointed out that one of the scenes, I think in the kitchen you can actually see like if you watch it closely enough, you can see like the stream with the puppet and that. But they do they do a great job with them. Yeah, it's funny. It's actually fun to watch knowing that their puppets. How the Gremlins are framed in each film, there's a lot of swinging from fans as well when there's obviously nailed them to the ceiling fan and a lot of things where you don't see their legs in a frame like that like it's the Muppet Show. But yeah, they do a really good job of placing the Gremlins and also in not having bright lights and that's you know, the Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: Of course, put one in the Christmas tree. You have the puppeteer.
Speaker 3: What I also found interesting about the way they get the rules out is the Dad doesn't really seem to take them seriously when he first hears the rules, but then when he tells Billy the rules, he seems to be very much on board with how serious these are. Let's have listened to durand telling Billy about these very important rules.
Speaker 5: You know, there's some things I forgot to tell you guys, and they're really important. Number One, he eats great lights.
Speaker 1: We're not that.
Speaker 5: But you've got to keep him out of the sunlight. Sunlight, it'll kill him. Number two, keep him away from water. Don't give him any water to drink, and whatever you do, don't give him a bath. And probably the most important thing, don't ever feed him after midnight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are the rules. I mean, it's a great premise, isn't it like to have? It's like I mentioned fight Club. It's great when you just have these very simple things that are easy to follow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I think that's the genius of the film, is that that these three rules. I mean, you don't know why, like he tells you the first one, he says, don't, well, the rights don't bright lights will kill him. Then he says water, but he doesn't explain why. And then he says, don't have to eat after midnight, and Billy doesn't ask why. It just goes like, I'll try and remember those.
Speaker 3: What I thing I've always wondered about it. I think they take the piece out of this. Ingremlins too is always okay, they form after midnight, but when there's midnight finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very vague.
Speaker 2: Isn't that two thirty?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is it enough?
Speaker 3: Or I imagine it's probably daylight. I probably sunrise the next day. Yes, But and how's Billy? How's Billy like?
Speaker 2: Bloody hell? Billy like? He looks at the clock. I think, is it twenty to twelve? Yeah, I got enough time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sneaking.
Speaker 3: Don't feed him after midnight? I saw it the twelf couplenty of time, A tray of chicken.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Billy's yeah, very loose with the rules, and probably because he didn't know the consequences of the rules that would have helped.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I don't think that is good because I don't think even Rando knows the consequences because he's not interested enough in anything outside of his own ship inventions that he's forcing his family with.
Speaker 1: The one that the crack the eggs that was a love out. The egg cracker invention out of all.
Speaker 3: Of them, apparently invented. You know, everyone's got these little cafe bars and in their own kitchen. Apparently Ran invented them. A little bit sludgy, but apparently apparently I'm invented by Rand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could have interrogated the rules more, but I guess because it was on voice, so we'll never know how that played out. Like I guess maybe the kid, maybe the dad was the grandpa was going to come out and they quickly have to run, and then you had to ask, why what's going to happen if I feed them after midnight? Just just left.
Speaker 3: I actually also thought at the start of the film, I kind of thought it was weird. He was just walking the streets and all of a sudden, this kid, Like I would have liked to say, it's such a tiny thing, and it's such a time it's and it doesn't matter really, but I would liked to have seen I don't know, the kid find Rand or like you know, they see him on the street, so coming in like maybe leading down these serious streets as opposed to you know, all of a sudden Rand's walking by himself in chiming down, and then all of a sudden he's walking down the stairs with his kid like just to see. But I imagine, like you like you, maybe you suggested that there's scenes that are missing.
Speaker 1: I think so, I don't know what that scene was. But because Rand also he could be within his rights to say, you dragged me all the way to this shop and then I can't buy something here, like yeah, let me have what I want, Like I came out of the middle of the street to come down and see you. Yeah, yeah, there's there's some questions. There were some really good horror moments. I thought the bit with the science seato was great, and that was when they kind of went revealing. I don't think that was at the stage where you hadn't seen.
Speaker 2: Them, we haven't seen him yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was really good. That was like proper horror, like he kind of war is he? Where are? They reaches down to give him something to eat and gets sort of eaten alive or whatever, like that's.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about this trip.
Speaker 3: So Billy eventually discovers his science teacher. We don't know if he Billy's not at school age between sixteen and forty two, and he walks in, he walks into the science class that he has been torn up. He sees his science teacher basically his head under the desk with a syringe in his ass. Thankfully he's wearing his clothes. He has been strip maker. That makes it a very different film.
Speaker 2: But then does not tell anybody.
Speaker 3: No, doesn't tell the police when he talks to them later on, doesn't tell his dad's should if I'm if I if I'm walking into my into my work and my boss is at r EP are walking into his office and he's he's lying on the ground of a syringe in his ass.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna get on with my day.
Speaker 3: No, I'm gonna tell somebody, But we forgive it because again, it doesn't take itself so seriously.
Speaker 2: So you set up your own culture with these kinds of films, and we've set.
Speaker 1: Up that he is unflappable, like nothing, nothing faces this guy, Like there go with the needle in his ass, Like, let's just keep rolling with it.
Speaker 3: I love to know that the conversations when him and Joe Dante, like did he ever say, should I come like freak out a bit here?
Speaker 2: Like this is my science teacher.
Speaker 3: I've obviously feel close enough to him to bring him this, So obviously there's there's a kind of a bond or a relationship.
Speaker 2: Should I be sad? No, No, just keep moving Billy like I should. Should I be determined and angry? No, just just be passive. Just this is normal.
Speaker 3: But there's yeah, and there are You're right, the Christas treet that's a great horrormone because it's it's it's the false alarm of the of the stocking that I'm going to ask you, is that toy robot for Billy? Is that one of his Christmas presents? Because he really is like twenty five and getting a toy robot?
Speaker 1: That that is a great question, because the whole premise of the film is that the dad is like I think it's because he's away from town a lot, wants to get his son the ultimate present. So it goes like a toy shop by like, yeah, thirty.
Speaker 2: Year old son, you know, cassettes.
Speaker 1: There was some good stuff in that Chinese shop, though, I thought that scene was amazing. It looks so good.
Speaker 2: It was really good.
Speaker 3: The outsign was good, and there was also some good the way they introduced they got a foreshadow there were lizards and drag and yeah, pointy years, so some good foreshadowing, yeah what we're about to do.
Speaker 1: And I think that Chinese actor who plays their shop owner, he was like quite experienced as an actor, and he was in his eighties, but they had to give makeup to make him look younger older because he's such a youthful man. That's a little bit of trivia that I was excited about.
Speaker 2: We need to get him on some Maybor League commercials or.
Speaker 1: Some I know. But that's the really funny thing about Gremlins is that there's some incredible horror moments mixed in with some really underwhelming responses from the people of the town.
Speaker 3: Well even when we might play this now and this is a horror trope, Yeah, you go to the police station. Eventually you go to the authorities. Of course the authorities are going to help, but of course the authorities are not going to believe you.
Speaker 2: Well I'm not.
Speaker 6: Sure maybe thousands. Look, I know it sounds crazy, I know it does, but in a matter of hours. This town is going to be turned to a major disaster area.
Speaker 2: I know you have got to warn pe you think this kid is drunk bread, No you are, I am not wrong.
Speaker 1: Probably reason revels come from.
Speaker 6: Man, all right, My father gave me one as a pressed.
Speaker 5: Oh pray, did your father always give you a vicious little monsters for a present?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: No, they don't start out vicious at first, of course not. They don't.
Speaker 7: They look like this, could you do the lights in here?
Speaker 3: Please never believe They never believe him.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's got the mug. Why there? But they're not freaking out.
Speaker 1: In the events that had a lot of nog eggnog. I think that was that kind of that added to their kind of like nonchalance. But yeah, that was I mean again the maguai, like, why is not anyone like what the hell is that?
Speaker 2: I forgot? Even bet the green demon in town?
Speaker 1: This this alone should get them out of the chop at the cop shop at least, like do some investigating. I think it was the Christmas Eve that start on the nog. There's nothing that was going to get them out on the town. Yeah, I think in their defense, I don't know why I'm defending them.
Speaker 3: But like that, no, well, I mean it's it's good to kind of, you know, find some kind of reason as to why strange choices are being made. Like Phoebe Phoebe also Phoebe Kate's sorry Kate, her name's Kate in the In the movie, she is working the bar as well as for two jobs, which is I think the only reason why that other scene with Judge ryan Hold really exists is established that she works at runs a second job. It's any information that I can seem to recall coming out of that scene. And obviously the responsible look at rules don't apply in four at this Irish tavern because she is serving. She is lighting smokes and pouring drinks. There's one of the transcret, a little pervert gremlin who flashes out, I'm not sure why you're flashing.
Speaker 2: When you don't have General's mate, what's the point them.
Speaker 1: A nude the whole ship And then he's flashing with a code like backwards.
Speaker 3: But I did laugh when they wear scarves, like there are some really fun it's a funny film, like the fact they're wearing scarves, the fact when they're they're caroling they're reading the lyrics even though they they're not singing soh at night.
Speaker 2: They're speaking their own gibberish.
Speaker 1: But they did occasionally speak English, and that that's something that I found really because Maguay can't speak English. But they would occasionally kind of just pull out like a witty one liner and then go back to gibberish. I guess they just picked up stuff along the way.
Speaker 2: Well, maguhy.
Speaker 3: Gizmo does say goodbye Billy right at the end, so he obviously did learn. They do learn behavior obviously. And at that moment actually where he comes back and says, oh, he's got something to say before he takes Gizmo away, and I was expecting something a bit more, you know, Okay, it's gonna be a bit heart wrenching. He's like, Billy, Okay, that was underwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I guess I guess the scenes at the bar, though they are the actual highlight of the film, I think like they are so funny, like as you say, yes, it is just happily put not happily. I guess she's under duress, but she is pouring drinks and say this is just a normal night at the bar. Yeah, to a bunch of Gremlins. I love the jazz loving Gremlin and then there's a guy who's kind of like hilarious.
Speaker 2: I thought, I thought of you watching this, and I thought you, I bet you love that.
Speaker 1: Love that that was brilliant.
Speaker 2: It goes into like a flash dance montage that's really like.
Speaker 1: That whole sequence is just awesome, Like that's kind of the best, right.
Speaker 3: And like Gremlins two really leans into that kind of vibe good more like Leonard Moulten gave this like a really harsh review upon release, and he's in the second one. I think it's killed by the whole Hogan's in line. It's like the kitcheness goes up a whole bunch Joe Dundasi the first Gremlin's two. Yeah, okay more than Gremlins one. But the scene is just completely incredible. But what it does, like you know, talking about trying to work out why scenes perhaps exist, Phoebe does when when she lights the smoke, it does it does give her the idea about light and then kind of reminds the audience of that idea. And there are more ways than just waiting for the sunlight, you know, to produce light. And yeah, yeah, it's a bloody fun scene.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. And the missus deegle flying off the stack there, that is awesome when she flies up the stairs. What do you do all those things where it's yeah, she didn't seem to need a wheelchair, but she used a kind of a wish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she says, all right, you probably denied somebody you know who actually needs that. I think there was a comment, to be honest, social comment about wealth and they take up resources.
Speaker 1: We should talk about the social commentary in the sect, but they did. She had one of my favorite lines, which is I hate Christmas Carala's screechy voiced little glue sniffers. No wonder they sent her flying off the.
Speaker 2: Nobody was just supported to see d No, she was really arch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was a nasty piece of work.
Speaker 2: And of course the Fudderberg or whatever his name is, Futamen, he gets it as well.
Speaker 1: What about Futaman's wife. She was a fascinating character. She was on LSD or something like. She was drifting around the room like on acid or something. She's married, that's right, so I think she's got a hardcore hallucinogen's addiction. But all her scenes were like, like, what's going on?
Speaker 2: She was loosening?
Speaker 1: She was, but I think you're right. She probably was just drugging her way out of this marriage she had to. Yeah, she was.
Speaker 3: Also the women in this town are married to deadbeats, dead beat blokes, and they're.
Speaker 2: Just trying to get through their days.
Speaker 3: And it's even like with the mom Billy's mum like she has that she's the only one who actually takes on the gremlins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's Billy who ushes her next door that you'd be safe. I'll take whoeverm know what mum should have does Billy, he's got this. These guys are babysitting. You go plave your toy robot. Billy. I've got this shit under control. I've already killed three.
Speaker 6: True.
Speaker 1: That is so true. She is the strongest character by Miles. She's killed a bunch of gremlins and Billy who's just sort of going with everything.
Speaker 2: I love her when she glenned twenties at Grandma back into the microwave, so.
Speaker 1: Good, she's awesome. Yeah, you're so right. While was she getting babysat's She's ready to take on the weld. She's kind of like, is it Sarah Connor and Terminator like she could have been. That's kind of the character that she could have been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a Gremlin story coming, apparently right in my next year, I think, unless it's been delayed that I read on i AMDB that it was due for release in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe it's around the mum because if Billy hasn't grown.
Speaker 2: A pair by now, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well, you think that some of the women would start to date the Gremlins because they've got far more charisma, Like they're kind of outgoing there, out for a good time. They get to done, Like I could see a few of them kind of mining and dining the local ladies and going there's a better option. I mean, we've got some bad traits, but no worse than your.
Speaker 3: Husbands, you know, and we're more accepting people's finishes these days.
Speaker 2: Positive, you know. I'm like, yeah, why not, it's it? Why do I get to know? Ah Gremlin?
Speaker 1: I think there'd be some pretty charming, Like they were pretty funny, that charismatic that they left the guys in the town for dead in terms of you know, being up and about and getting things done.
Speaker 2: It's a bloody good point.
Speaker 1: Could be a rom com.
Speaker 3: I like that whenever they went to a new place, they got the most out of wherever they went. By the bar, they and as every every possible thing, Like the jazz thing was like so brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when they get to the sports store, yeah, they just say, okay, what have we got this ball machine? Like Billy basically gets taken out by a ball machine.
Speaker 1: Well, Billy's injury and again this is this just sums up Billy, Like there's so many funny things you could do in a sports right. He gets injured by falling onto a shelf. It's such a low fire injury.
Speaker 3: You got a couple of tennis balls before that. But he doesn't move out of the way to the tennis ball. He's like, oh, move behind the sweatshirts. There's a rack of sweatshirts next to you. Just move, take a step to the left, Billy, do something.
Speaker 1: So I worked in a sports store for seven years and I've had worse injuries after a shift than what he cupped in there, like just falling onto the corner of a shelf, dodging a tennis ball, Like, come on, Billy on you.
Speaker 3: Need to do better, Billy. But yeah, and then so you got the yeah trying the saws at Billy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was great. And the base the chainsawvice the baseball bat was was great. And then Gizmo comes to the rescue and that was all. I'm not sure how I'm not sure who's controlling the remote control car.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if Gizmo has hot wired, because that's not how remote control cars. You can't just hop in them and drive even if you, you know, if you if you Gizmo sized. But anyway, let's say he's hohod White.
Speaker 2: It's fun. Anyway, thank god they did that. Thank God it wasn't Billy who say that.
Speaker 1: They Yeah, Steven.
Speaker 2: Spielberg, you're a genius.
Speaker 3: Gizmo comes in up over the shovel, Yeah, and it's it's it's great because Gizmo, like, up until then, he's just been cute.
Speaker 1: He has what There another great scene, which you haven't talking about, EDI is the cinema scene where the Gremlins love snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Yeah, I don't know what was is there a famous Christmas movie? But they were really into it, right, like this. These guys were going nuts for everything. Finally, just yeah, this is we're passionate about. This film was a listen to the Gremlins enjoying snow White.
Speaker 5: What are they doing?
Speaker 6: You're watching snow White.
Speaker 2: And they love it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But you know what, you know what occurred to me, I'm not sure this is like a thing that's been commented on before. Quentin Tarantino has stolen Glorious Bastards the end of the Glorious Bastards from Gremlins.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen Glorious Bastards.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Trent, I'm really sorry.
Speaker 1: You've enough there is that wasn't a spoiler that it was more like another classic that I haven't seen. Moment.
Speaker 3: Well, there's there's a there's a cinema scene. Well, if he's any Glorious Pasts, you know what I'm talking about. But it is almost exactly what happens in Glorious.
Speaker 1: But I can't imagine how that can be.
Speaker 3: Like that cinema scene is pretty yeah, and and funnily enough, it's weird because there's a whole bunch of Nazis watching a certain film, you know, like, I don't know, Joy the Darts I've never heard anyone. I'm I've do some deep diming make that connection. The Quentin Tarantino I've interviewed before. I love the interview him again. I'm gonna ask him the great question, was Gremlin's the inspiration.
Speaker 5: For that?
Speaker 2: It's amazing scenes in Inglorious Barson's.
Speaker 1: That's that's well, he's pretty honest about the things that he watches, and yeah, that's it. I'd love to know. That is the bit where Billy does something. He finally, yes, he finally does something proactive, and which is kind of the sad because I was I actually like the Gremlins enjoying the film. I didn't want them to die at that point. It's kind of like they're having a great time. They're not really hurting anyone in there.
Speaker 2: Watch the movie.
Speaker 1: Watch the movie.
Speaker 2: I got a bit of a movie marathon. That's probably a good it's a good deal, just like that, and let them.
Speaker 3: Live forever watching movies. Well, I mean, I'm surprised I got the projective working to be honest scene. I mean, I'm surprised there's a projectionist watching that movie going that that's not how.
Speaker 5: To do it.
Speaker 2: That they would never have got that that that film is ruined. You won't get that back that.
Speaker 1: That is one of my favorite bits though, when they're enjoying snow White and the Seven Dwors I love that. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: It is more fun than that if they had.
Speaker 1: Had a horror film totally.
Speaker 3: It is something really fun, you know, and them singing with the the Seven Dwarves is good fun. Let's talk about Phoebe Kate's and her big Sea. I mean, all right, so there's two weird things about this. One of the content of her backstory, so she's made it clear a couple of times, and she doesn't like Christmas.
Speaker 2: She hates Christmas. Billy to Cols and Mike, you know everyone loves Christmas. He does. He does ask a week question ges why are you are you? Are you Hindi? Billy? Is that his stick?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that the first time he cracks the jokes, he's genuinely asking. I don't know. That's out of character for him to say something. It's not just straight straight back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he learned in prof accident. And then so this is an intense part of the film. They are yeah, they realize they are under attack. And they go and to uh Is at the sports store wherever they end up now, and she she decides this is the time, this is the perfect time to emote about her tragic past. Keep in mind when you're listening to this that while she does her emoting, Billy is almost paying no attention. Gives Billy gives me he's paying more attention than Billy is. But let's listen to this.
Speaker 1: She'd have a Triggerlets by the way, this is so full on what she's.
Speaker 2: About to say. It is actually full on. It is actually full on.
Speaker 3: And also actually it's also a good point if you are listening to this, and I'm very seriously, if you're listening to this in your car and you have kids of a certain age who still have a genuine love and belief in all things Christmas, maybe.
Speaker 2: Skip over these next couple of bits here. There is obviously a big.
Speaker 3: Reveal reveal and spoiler, not just a movie spoiler, but maybe a little life spoiler.
Speaker 2: So we give you plenty of time.
Speaker 3: Just hit a couple of thirty second shifts and come back to it, or listen when your kids, young kids oving around. Let's have a listen to phebe Cakes's tragic backstory.
Speaker 4: Here was Christmas Eve. I was nine years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by, Dad wasn't home. His mom called the office, no answer. Christmas Day came and went and still nothing. The police began to search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire, and that's when I noticed the smell.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Firemen came and broke through the chimney top and me and Mom expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird, and instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing town the chimney on Christmas Eve. His arm was sorted with presents. He was going to surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck died instantly, And that's how I found out that there was no Santa Claus.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love the focus like her. What this story means to her is her belief in Santa Claus has been shattered. As opposed to her father died.
Speaker 1: That's how I loved my father. That's not that's not her top concern. There is that is a whole podcast, that monologue, Like, there is so much to unpack with what's just happened.
Speaker 2: What we've just listened to. I think it should be a prequel.
Speaker 1: That's because it's an urban legend, I think, is what I was reading. That's that's where they got that story from.
Speaker 2: Right, But does.
Speaker 1: Anyone actually ever go down a chimney like no, Well, I think.
Speaker 3: I maybe I'm making this up, but I seem to think that occasionally you hear somebody dying doing this.
Speaker 2: Okay, that might be made up. I don't know. I don't know. It's it's a strange choice.
Speaker 3: There are plenty of ways to, you know, have create the illusion of Santa without.
Speaker 2: Of course, Santa is real. We all know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all we know that My brother kept the Santa thing going for me by telling me, in conhoots with my dad that he walked in on Santa taking a ship and it's all And I actually believed it. I thought, okay, whether it's actually saw Santa taking so sound was real? I thought they're gonna make up that story. That's and then I was telling kids in the school yard about that, so it's real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's M's real brother. Sorry taking it dumb.
Speaker 3: And my brother was working but Mark come over here, tell him about saying sound taking it dump And.
Speaker 2: He just looked at me and going, I can't believe you still believe this?
Speaker 1: That's that's the more happen.
Speaker 2: That was my moment. That was Phoebe Kate story.
Speaker 1: That's how I knew. I knew what was he hoping to achieve? Like, so what was if he did survive, would you just pop out at the bottom of the chimney and what if they're not there?
Speaker 2: Like so when she says she said and broke his neck that all happened.
Speaker 3: He wasn't alive when Phoebe K's he didn't survive three or four days.
Speaker 2: And then he basically died on the It was a quick on the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but did he so?
Speaker 4: Was he? So?
Speaker 1: Were they trying to were that was there where they were both downstairs and he went, I'm going to jump down and surprise them or was he trying to do it at night, in which case no one would ever know? Yeah, I can't work out when he was doing this because if they were down there, they would have heard in this case quickly. If they weren't there, he pops down the bottom and no one ever knows that he did it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, unless yeah, unless he's set up a video camera and he set up on the tripod, Yeah, to see him.
Speaker 2: Actually, okay, you know, come down. Maybe he's even's got one on the roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And canons are big then though, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They're very big. Yeah and expensive. I'm not sure that's Phoebe's back gb k's backstory here, but that was young. Yeah, you're absolutely right. If you're going to do like a stunt like this huge stuff, you need the kids to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so if they were there, I mean, I don't know. Do you hear someone's neck? I mean, that's probably too dark for this podcast. I don't want to go there.
Speaker 2: Give us a call.
Speaker 5: Do you hear it?
Speaker 1: The next snap? But it is an incredible place to put that reveal because that's kind of the gremlins of running a mark and the town is in danger and she It's a long reveal, right, Like it's a couple of feels like a minute or felt longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's quite a mind.
Speaker 3: Look, Steven Spielberg wanted it taken out, yeah enough, and Joe Dante, uh, for some reason, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: He said it summed up the tone of the film that crossed between the macab and the funny and the well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I kind of I'm glad that was his reasoning. I'm glad it wasn't. No, this is a very powerful story.
Speaker 1: You know, he knew it was silly and.
Speaker 3: Spill and Spielberg that was his concern. He wasn't sure if it was supposed to be supposed to be laughing at this. So I like and I just like, I love that Steven Spielberg gave the director right of way. Yeah, that's that's Steven Spielberg story. He could have said, mate, trust me, I made Jaws, Yeah, check it out.
Speaker 1: And John Days like Piranha.
Speaker 2: So so we're kind of equal. I love the Spielberg said no, your movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. And because because it is a big strange moment, I can see why Silberg. You know, he could have easily gone, like, we just rap him it out. It doesn't work and it slays it.
Speaker 3: But good on him. Yeah, it's certainly like got us talking. Yeah, oh it's a very it's a very talky. It's a conversation starter. The other another thing that I noticed was the priest too. Basically he's not is this basically an extra, But this is a moment where the gremlins are in the letterbox and he goes and he realizes there's gremlins in the letterbox. So and then he just allows the next guy who comes up, which is a fundament I don't know, but the next gout to come up and he just steps back and watches.
Speaker 1: Nothing about this letterbox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go for you, you get your hand torn off. I would have thought a Catholic priest might say, son, do not there is something and evil, there is a demon I'll get, I'll get my Christ will perform an extoricism. No, just you tested that for me, mate.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I think it's best not to ask so many questions, isn't it?
Speaker 3: And like these like this, I love doing this because like when we did Love Actually with Eddie Bannon, we tore that film apart, and I'm always I'm always at pains to say we are not here in a way that change your mind on what you think of a movie. I still I still really enjoy love actually, even though we did point out all the plot holes in that film and I and I've personally spoken to people who love that movie and listen to the podcasts and weren't sure, you know, I don't keep loving the film. Yeah, it's about how it makes you feel, and that's great. And this is I think this is a this is a great film. This is a great film.
Speaker 2: And if you compare it to some of the monster movies that inspired.
Speaker 3: You know, Critters and and then there's some troll type films around that time, this is easily still the goat as far as those films are really inspired, like a subgenre of horror films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the premise is so clever, like and we haven't talked about the role. I didn't realize it was a Roll Dale story Gremlins, Yeah, but very I think it's very different to what I haven't read. Yeah, well Dale story.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so Gremlins was the Rod Daal wrote a book I think in nineteen forty three called Gremlin his first kid's book, his first kids book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is where this term comes from.
Speaker 3: And then and then I think people obviously the war was going on around at times, So whenever there was something wrong with an aircraft, they would often say there's gremlins in the system or the gremlins have got to it, and that's popularized that kind of quasi kind of expression of the there's gremlins in the system. So yeah, it's it's it's it's incredible. We haven't spoken about Stripe. It's important, you know, to have you know, there's a group of villains, but a specific villain. Yeah, clever to give him a.
Speaker 1: Physical Yeah, yeah, he is the Joe.
Speaker 2: Pesky of the gremlins.
Speaker 3: Here's a Tommy DeVito in this story, like he is a mean yeah mother, Yeah, yeah, no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's great. I really I really liked him about have about.
Speaker 3: The gag At one point I meant to mention when you mentioned the jazz at the bar, the jazz scene of the puppet on the puppet, like that meta little gag of having a gremlin who is a puppet, yeah, with two puppets on their hands. I thought it was very funny as well. I've got some fun facts before we before we wrap this up. I'm sure you probably know this, Trent. You may have even recognized it, but the Kingston Falls the set you may recognize it because it was the same set used in Back to the Future. I was I was kind of expecting to be actually the same set as It's Wonderful life as well, because it feels so totally so much it's wonderful. It's a backlot on at Universal Studios.
Speaker 1: So the clock tower, the club you see the famous clock tower from Back to the Future, I think, yes, and the cinema I think are the main two.
Speaker 3: And there's all these little easter eggs in it as far as like et Stripe hides behind and Et. At one point in the bar, one of the gremlins is playing the Star Wars video game.
Speaker 1: Cool does there's a moment I couldn't quite hear it, but I think there's a moment where the mum's trying to make a phone call and the phone home.
Speaker 2: It's so good, it's it is so good.
Speaker 3: It's an extraordinary like all the gremlins are puppets, Like there's a shipload of puppets. And one of the executives said, I think there needs to be less gremlins. Yeah, let's have less gremlins, And Steven Spielberg said again, what a genius. He says, Oh, why don't we just make them people and call the film people.
Speaker 1: It's a great comeback. Are you going to like there? I also read that there were gremlins originally going to be monkeys with masks.
Speaker 2: Please tell us about this. Yeah, I tried it.
Speaker 3: They tried it, and the Webers did not like wearing a gremlin mask. A shock horror that would have been just impossible to film. I would imagine thinking that was an easier way to do things than actually using puppets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it does make you realize those big scenes where there was what twenty or thirty gremlins would have been Wow, that would have been amazing to film like that would have been such a difficult thing to coordinate all those puppeteers, and and it was, and they're brilliant those scenes. I think that's the kind of the bit that makes me go of Gremlins is Yeah, as you say, the greatest of all time in this genre because those scenes are so funny. But there was no green screen, right, It's just all all happening as you see it, which is very cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or practical, this affected the rating system, So this basically the PG thirteen rating came out because of Gremlins and also Temple of Doom. Spielberg fought hard because he thought there needed to be something between PG and rate of R. So pg's amperenal guidance are you know, all the scary movies And it was too violent for PG, but not viold enough for so PG thirteen was born, which is very interesting. I mentioned it was released in the same day as ghost Bus is. Apparently in the convention when Deadbeat Dad is calling, there is a time machine from the movie time Machine in the background and it disappears at one point. Now I even gone back to check this and there's a bit of a reaction from those around. Also, Steven Spielberg does a bit of Hitchcock cameo and he's in an electric wheelchair in that scene. Tim Burton, it was almost given this film to direct, which would have been his debut feature and the only reason they didn't give it to him because he hadn't directed a feature film. You can imagine Tim Burton totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have one final question for you. What do you think Do you think there's some sort of allegory or metaphor what like the Gremlins represent from gizmo chair to look that up, and no one had like a concrete theory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know there was. There's there's a show called Dear White People, and I haven't seen much of that at all, but I did see a short clip and it wasn't long enough for me to really kind of but they I imagine they suggesting there's a race element to Gremlins and there's there's no black people. Yeah, yeah, which is incredible common when we look back at films from the eighties and even in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Did you think there's something going on?
Speaker 1: I did read that there was an allegory for commercialism and how that's kind of corrupted us. But then Gremlins is one of the biggest merchandising films of all time.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if to.
Speaker 3: Think both can be true that the Chris Columbus wrote potentially they say that was true, and then but then the studio go, Okay, you can write your andti commercialism thing, but we need to make it buck Yeah, yeah, we need to make this work. So I mean both can potentially be true. Also, you could see that, as you know, Americans interference or you know, with with you know in foreign places, you know, like they go to China, but they're in Chinatown and they steal something. Stealing is you know, is in vera commas because the boy does give it to him. If he does, I think he does, he actually end up paying for he have the money.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: They could just be alcohol as well, like could you go from a gizmo to a stripe with a few beers some people?
Speaker 2: That's very true.
Speaker 3: Another little easter egg on the on the cinema, there's a film plan called A Boy's Life, which is a fake name given to et and they said they shipped it in there's so much buzz around the next Spielberg film. In this movie, they shipped it in the in the theaters under you know, under the guys of the title A Boy's Life. Yeah, I think they're all fun. Fact before we go, the final scene is when the gentleman from the store comes back to reclaimed gizmo and he says, you know, he says, that looks very sheepish during this. He knows, he knows he calls this he's not remorseful enough of my life. But he does say to him, you are not responsible enough for this, and I thought, yeah, no, ship, very big understatement. Well, this podcast comes with homework. I really appreciate you watching this. I want to congratulate you on your kids book, Stunt Kids. It's such a glorious reader. It's like you yourself. It's funny, it's full of joy, it's really positive and you must be very proud.
Speaker 1: I am really excited about it. It's got a great response from kids, and that's obviously who it's saying about. So yeah, and that's been an incredible ride. And yeah, thanks for your support of the book as well. Your name. Obviously he is underneath mine on the cover recommending it. So that's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: My absolute pleasure. It's such a fun read.
Speaker 3: So if you've got kids around, like the eight to twelve kind of a middle grade, get Stunt Kids. It is a fantastic read. If they love Frankie Fish though, they're gonna love Stunt Kids. And yeah, my congratulations again on all everything you're doing. We're gonna go have some lunch and thanks for doing. Thanks watching Gremlins for us.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me. I've absolutely loved it. It's been awesome.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 3: It was Gremlin's with my great mate Trent Roberts. What a fantastic man, beautiful man is Trent. Check out Stunt Kids is his book. It's on the shelves. If it's not that your bookstore. You can do this with any book. If they don't have the book you're looking for, just ask them the order it in.
Speaker 2: That's what they do.
Speaker 3: Trent is a fantastic like and I appreciate him doing his homework. Gremlins, What a fun film that was to talk about. I didn't realize almost the resentment I had towards Billy. What a soft character he was very rarely Derek Myers from Casway Studios dot com. Do you get a character as soft as Billy as the lead? But maybe you can make the point that actually it was Gizmo in the lead or maybe Stripe?
Speaker 2: Who knows. Did you enjoy Gremlins?
Speaker 7: Oh? Absolutely it was. To me it was realistic effects.
Speaker 2: It's fun at the time. Yeah, it was awesome, And like I said when I was watching.
Speaker 3: It, I've seen clips over the years and I thought otherways you could see the puppetry in that, but watching it as a whole, it works, It still works and holds up really well. I really enjoyed it, so we would love you to help get the word out for you ain't seen nothing yet. So things you can do is you can go to iTunes and leave a review and give us a five star review.
Speaker 2: It helps.
Speaker 3: It just keeps us in the conversation, It helps the algorithm all those technical things. Tell your friends come along to one of our live shows. That would be fantastic. We had an episode, a one hundred episode coming up, and I'll announce who the guests will be and the film.
Speaker 2: It'll be very soon.
Speaker 3: Give you a clue there's been a previous guest who may have done the first episode. Anyway, we'll chat more, maybe next week we can have an announcement on that. You can email us at Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com. Of course, love to hear your voice on the speak pipe, so go follow the links through our page and you can leave a message. You'd love to hear your voice. It makes it all the more exciting and intimate, not in a weird way. I feel free to leave us a speak pipe, but you know, if you're a bit shy, you want to send us an email, you can at Yasney podcast at Gmail.
Speaker 7: Hey Pete, I've got an email here. I've been waiting for YEP for five seasons.
Speaker 2: Five c Wow, that is all right.
Speaker 7: This one is short and sweet, but it's from Mick and it says, Hey Pete, I so love the podcast. Got you Mick long shot, but love to hear a Monty Python.
Speaker 3: It Well, wouldn't we all? Absolutely? I mean that will happen. That would definitely happen. It's about finding like it's we constantly have requests for Tarantino films, for a bit more Hitchcock. I'm I'm sure if I've done Hitchcock yet, I don't think we have. And then Mighty Python's also on the list. But what I can't do is I can nudge people towards certain movies, but they need to be excited to watch the movie. So the problem also those films is that most people have seen most who are interesting films. I have seen Tarantino films, and most comedians have seen Life of Brian and the Holy Grail, And so it's they're on the list.
Speaker 2: They're on the list.
Speaker 1: Mick.
Speaker 3: I will try to nudge people towards Muney Python and be a fun one to do. Absolutely one of my favorite films of all time, no doubt, Life of Brian. So you have been heard, Mick. We appreciate you, and hopefully maybe this season we can get somebody to watch Life of Brian for the first time. That would have been experience. Wouldn't imagine watching that for the first time, now, I'd be fantastic.
Speaker 7: I tried watching The Holy Grail with my daughter the other day and she was like, oh, Dad, can we watch something else. I'm like, every two seconds, way, wait, wait, wait, one more minute, this is the this is epic, this bit coming up.
Speaker 1: It was just constantly, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do find the Life of Brian a much I think, a much better film than Holy Grad and much funnier. I I the Holy Grail. I do like I do like if I was being a little bit critical, I would go it's it's it's more it's pure silliness and nonsense, which is fine, that's very it's all very funny, where Life of Brian has more meat on its bones, and it's just it just seems the character working that is just I think brilliant and Yeah, but you know, it's like comparing Godfather three. We Godfather's Part one and two, Like Life Brian is one of the all time great comedies. It's in like It would be surely in the top five comedies of all time, if not the top one. With this is My All to Happen, you know, playing Strange and Momobiles. Maybe maybe not on the list. On the list next week on the show.
Speaker 2: This is a big one.
Speaker 3: It's a bit of a unique one. I'm very excited about this. The first time we've had multiple guests on the same show. It is the Gang, the hilarious Gang. They have taken the comedy world by storm over the last year and a bit. They are Sushi Mango. If you're not following them, get onto them on Instagram. I'm sure they're on YouTube and all that, but I follow them on Instagram. Sushi Mango spelled so Shi Mango. They are playing stadiums right now, over and over again, all around the country. Literal stadiums, Rod Laver Arena, they played in Melbourne. They are massive and they're going to come on. The boys have never seen the movie Napoleon Dynamite. Yes, we are moving from the eighties, we are heading up to the nineties and Napoleon Dynamite. It was the birth of John Heath. A great film. I have seen it many times. I watched it not too long ago with my kids actually, and they loved it. If you haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite, check it out. It's going to be a big episode next week in the studio with the boys and Sushi Mango Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 2: Until then, by for an hour, and so we leave old Pete
Speaker 3: Say Man Salt and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.