Speaker 1: Welcome to a very outspoken Christmas. It's that time of year to crank Mariah carry in the car and begin your Christmas shopping. Our names are Amy Kate and Sophie Torber. We're identical triplets and during the festive season, we have an identical opinion. Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. In this special series, we're discussing all things Christmas with help from some influential Australians.
Speaker 2: For you, Glen Conco, you go, Glen Cuckoo.
Speaker 3: And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney day, He's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm actually so glad we're sitting in the podcast room. We have just been at the shops and it has been hectic, like there's nothing.
Speaker 2: Let Oh my god, I'm regretting it.
Speaker 1: Last week I saw those sticky Christmas tags that you know, the ones you put on the present so you don't forget which present is we They're all gone. I literally searched about five different shops like panicked. I asked the woman, nothing left, But don't you think it's that there's always this lie that you tell yourself that you're never going to leave anything to the last minute, Like I haven't even bought food for Christmas Day. You know what, though, I know we're disorganized, but it just reminds me that, like, where are the responsibility that men have on Christmas? Oh my gosh, you know, my boyfriend's sitting downstairs watching television. He has not a care in the world. I was wrapping his parents' presence last night. Well, it's funny that you say that about men, because I just went to the shop with Dale to pick up presents for his family and it was literally done in about half an hour. It was just I'll get this bottle of alcohol for this person.
Speaker 2: It was so easy. You know what though, because.
Speaker 1: I don't know if anyone else feels this, but I feel like, as women, it reflects on you what present you give me, even.
Speaker 2: If you give it collectively. Like that's why I don't let.
Speaker 1: Brandon or other people be in charge of just selecting the presents, because I feel like Amy saying that, you know, Dale was very quick to pick his presence and people probably don't have huge expectations on what he's going to pick like men can give other men alcohol and they're like, yeah, whatever, I don't care. But for women, it's like this Christmas time, you feel like everything's got to be perfect and you're the one that has to make it perfect. It's like with food, like they would have no idea if there was any food, Like, for example, We're going to Brandon's sister's house for Christmas lunch and I said, oh, Brandon, have you asked her if we need to bring anything? Like that thought doesn't seem to cross men's heads. So you know, I've got to organize a salad for tomorrow, which of course is easy, but you know what I mean, it's like not even the thought.
Speaker 2: They don't even think about it, do you know what?
Speaker 1: Just back to the gifts, It's like that meme that says, how you know your dad's sitting there watching you open your gifts and he's just as surprised as you because Mum's done all the Christmas shopping. Yeah, well that's what like with Reese's family. Last year, it was my first Christmas with them, so I kind of let Reese take the lead and pick things out. But this year, I'm like, look, let's just put all the money into our joint account, and I will select things because you know you just you never know you, and then you feel awkward if you haven't bought them the present that's the same amount. And oh my goodness, I feel like the best decision we made this year is doing Chris Kringle with each other.
Speaker 2: So it's Kate so fedin our.
Speaker 1: Boyfriends, and I feel like we need some predictions here because I feel like I know who everyone's got. Well. Sophie and Brandon have apparently told each other which is predicted, and then Sovie was trying to We were driving back from west Lake Shopping Center in the car just before and Sophie was trying to get it out of me who I had, and I said no, because Ree said that we would all tell each other who we had. So I'm sticking to not telling you me. You told me who you had, No, I tell you guessed, No, I act no, I slipped up. And you think that I have someone that I may not have. I don't want to throw all my predictions out there because I feel like we'll give away who my Chris Kringle is. But I definitely think that Dale has me and he's going to give me a candle.
Speaker 2: I'm just putting that out there before.
Speaker 1: Well, from what Sophie said, I think Brandon's got me. Oh pot twist. The funniest thing is we've just discovered that we've all bought the same wrapping paper, so all the presents are going to arrive in the same wrapping paper, which makes it a bit more difficult to tell who's actually bought who's present. Well, it'd be easy for the three of us. With the boys, Oh I suppose, Yeah, they haven't organized wrapping paper have that. How funny is that that we all selected so because I loved wrapping presents in like gold and sealk, I do like the really festive ones with Santa Claus, but that's kind of the wrapping paper Mum wraps our presence in.
Speaker 2: It was so cute.
Speaker 1: We went over there yesterday and she's got all the presents under the tree in this like bright green wrapping paper with Santa on it, and I'm like, that is just such a Mum and Dad wrapping paper. I love it. Well, Dad, there was also presence under there with Dad's traditional father Christmas wrapping paper.
Speaker 2: It just looks so magic.
Speaker 1: That's still so our dad has had this wrapping paper, I believe for about ten years, and the most hilarious thing is he leaves it up on the top of his wardrobe and it's like encrusted in dust by the time it's Christmas. But he used to do it because that was his wrapping paper that he would do, like the Santa presence in But the cutest thing is we're nearly thirty two and our parents still give us presents with Santa's name on it. We did a great job there with that grivy.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I told you guys this, but it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: The other day, the post he arrived with more packages and I was actually shamed.
Speaker 2: He shamed me. He said, Wow, I'm here all the time.
Speaker 1: And I've got so many presents, and I said they're for Sophie because she keeps get a package is sent to me. I have to say, because I've moved into a new house. Our new address isn't actually registered.
Speaker 2: It's not like a gated community. Late last day, No, it's not a.
Speaker 1: Gated community, but it's a kind of little townhouse areas and we don't have our address registered.
Speaker 2: So that's why I've been getting them to your person.
Speaker 1: I've said my stuff to mum and dads because dad's retired and he's the best, Like he literally as soon as the present's dropped off, let me know it's there. And then I get one like two hours later once mum's home, letting me know it's there. Just a little bit of a change of topic. I was watching The Santa Claus a couple of nights ago, and it got me thinking about the name Santa Claus because we grew up calling him Father Christmas. And I was talking to Reese, I'm like, did you call him Father Christmas or Santa Claus. He's like Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: As if it was like so obvious.
Speaker 1: Well, it's actually an American thing, I think to call him Santa Claus, and an English thing to call him Father Christmas. Yeah, well I googled it, but apparently in England. In England it was saying that it's sort of for.
Speaker 2: With older people.
Speaker 1: Now the young people are starting to call him Santa Claus. Well, I think we called him Father Christmas because our grandma is English. But finally on our grandma didn't refer to him as Father Christmas. She referred to him constantly as Pappy Christmas fucking hate Christmas. It's just let's sit at a table with your family and see how you could sit there without arguing the stupidest shit.
Speaker 2: Well, what about Christmas Day itself?
Speaker 1: Because there's always a little bit of awkwardness around who is going to whose house? And I know we had a little internal family argument about where where Sophie was going to be on Christmas Day, where I was going to be it was going to be.
Speaker 2: Can everyone hear the tone here?
Speaker 1: It was that family dinner and Mum had said, oh no, we're gonna have my sight over for lunch, and you like cracked it because it's always taken into consideration where you and Reesa going. It doesn't seem to matter where me and Brandon are going. Is it just me or does every family have an argument about Christmas Day? I think the whole thing about Christmas Day is the actual day itself is always a bit shit.
Speaker 2: Like for me, the more catching up with your.
Speaker 1: Family, But like for me, the morning is always the best bit because it's kind of when it's a bit peaceful, But then when you've got to drive back and forth every on houses, that's the one that gets a bit messy, and you do get a bit tired and kind of over it. Yeah, I suppose it's like you're catching up with your extended family who you haven't seen all year, and it's sort of like everyone kind of forgets what everyone's doing. So it's like a job interview. It's like, oh, who are you again?
Speaker 2: And how old are you? Like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Okay, but it really is like with your cousins, like we don't see some of our cousins and you kind of just have to, like, I mean, some of them don't have any clue what we do or what you know. Well, in my defense, that's why I'm coming to dinner because I'm seeing our cousins that we literally see every week. We'll just say just to explain. So, so if you're going where exactly for Christmas Day.
Speaker 2: So we'll start it at Christmas Eve.
Speaker 1: On Christmas Eve, we are going to mom and Dad's house for dinner, watching Karas by candle out of course that's the only thing, and going for.
Speaker 2: A beautiful little light drive or light walk.
Speaker 1: Then for Christmas Morning, we are driving back to mom and Dad's opening our presents because we're five, and then I'm heading over to Brandon's sister's house, which is about forty minutes from mom and Dad's house, for lunch, and then I am going to Amy's house at fin And for Christmas dinner.
Speaker 2: So it's going to be a lot of driving.
Speaker 1: I love that you're just dropping all the locations where everyone lives, just trying to show how much driving is going to be done.
Speaker 2: Okay, well what about u Kate?
Speaker 1: Well, as Soovy said, We've got Christmas Eve at Mum and Dad's and then we're still trying to work out it's quite contentious. We're still trying to work out the time that everyone is going to arrive Christmas morning. Can I just put it out on him right now? Amy, if you were not on time, I think there should be some punishment because she doesn't get her present. I was bang on time last year, under very tight restrictions of when I had to leave, and you rocked up without a care about forty minutes late. And that's just Amy at the time that we say, I've been waiting two hours to do this podcast and wouldn't talk about people around at the shops for anyway. So then I will be having lunch at mum and Dad's with Mom's side of the family, and our Nana's coming, which is really exciting. And then for dinner, I'm going to Reese's mum and Dad's house, which will be lovely, and Amy's very lucky because she's spending all day with our family like that. But the contentious thing is in the morning, you were having to go up to Dale's mother's house. Okay, and you're expecting to be days this morning at I'm already putting it out there. I think you've just got to decide whose house you're spending it at. Okay, Well, sorry, you're being really rude. This is where the family arguments come from.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Dale's family they actually celebrate their Christmas Day on Boxing Day, and they've done that for a number of years. Because I realized that Christmas Day it was so hard, it was too hard to see everybody, so poor Day was going to be stuck with outside of the family all day.
Speaker 2: Poor Day a lot of tree. Well yeah, it's a treat, but he.
Speaker 1: So, yes, we're going to mum and dad. So I said to him, I forgot to mention that Mum was having Christmas Eve dinner at a house. We were driving from getting his presence anyway, and he I said, oh, by the way, Mum's doing family dinner on Christmas Eve instead.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you don't have to come if you've got other stuff on. It's like, I don't have to come.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a question whether I'm coming or not, you know what, I mean to come. That cracked me up because we're was like, I just want to get my head around what's happening for Christmas. Is like, so Christmas Eve at your mum and dad's, Christmas Morning at your mum and dad's, Christmas Lunch at your mom and dad's, and Bockling.
Speaker 2: Day with your family.
Speaker 1: And I was like yeah, And then I was like, oh, I feel bad.
Speaker 2: He's like, I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I'm just I just want to get my head like what.
Speaker 2: We're doing bullshit that is. I do mind, but I'm trying not to be cause an argument.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Can I just say though, say okay, just to let me finish.
Speaker 1: So for Christmas Breakfast, Dale has asked if we can go and see his mum, which I think is fair enough.
Speaker 2: We're not seeing her the whole dad.
Speaker 1: I think it's fair enough. But You've just got to be transparent with everyone else whether you're coming to open presents otherwise, we will do it without you. Yeah, so if I am so, I'm going there to Dale's mom's house at about.
Speaker 2: Eight thirty in the morning.
Speaker 1: Then we're going to get to open presents at ten fifteen. Look, we're how stressed are we all about? Think someone around telling me you faked?
Speaker 2: I'm so stressed.
Speaker 1: Reese was like, we were driving to his friend's house for dinner yesterday, and I mean it wasn't a actual Christmas activity, which I'm like, it's like two days before Christmas and this isn't a Christmas activity, but okay, I'll allow it.
Speaker 2: And then he's like, why are you so stressed?
Speaker 1: I feel like you're really stressed, and like there's just so much to do, and he's like, but why why are you making it harder on yourself? Because I'm like, I want to bring a dessert to your parents' house and he's like, we don't need it, They've got Christmas pudding already.
Speaker 2: I'm like, but iin't want to.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: It's like I've run out of time.
Speaker 1: Like I had this huge list of Christmas movies I wanted to watch, I wanted to go on numerous Live Joys. We wanted to have a Christmas leap over with our cousins, and it's literally just all fallen apartle. It actually cracked me up because I saw Reese's parents last night because they baby sat shadow at the dog and.
Speaker 2: Reese's Dad's like.
Speaker 1: I mean, poor Pip, She's trying to do everything from scratch. This is Reese's sister in law. I mean she's even rolling out making mince pies like herself. He's like, what happened to Cole's And I'm like, it's just so funny.
Speaker 2: Like that just really is what girls do.
Speaker 1: Like you want to make all the cute things, but then you kind of like get so stressed doing it.
Speaker 2: No one eats them in the end either, that's the worst thing.
Speaker 1: That's like before the White party, I was so stressed. I feel like it was about half an hour before everyone was coming, and I was racing around and then I had to get cups out of the dishwasher and I slammed the dishwasher. Shit.
Speaker 2: It was so frustrated, and Day was like, is it really worth all this stress it has? And I was like it is.
Speaker 1: It really is, because remember Sophie had that discussion because you said, oh, we're always you know, we're always in a rush with the White party, and that's what feels like Christmas. I feel like it is this crazy rush that is quite enjoyable, and I'd love to hear if other people think the same in our Facebook community.
Speaker 2: You put yourself in.
Speaker 1: A tizzy and do you tizzy youth and Kim, it's almost it's almost though that the idea of it, you wht and then when you do it, the execuitions like doing it, but when it years past, you've kind of forgotten how awful it all. It's kind of like it's tradition to do this thing, like you know, we always Sophie and I always cook dessert on either like Christmas Eve or the day before, and I feel like I just want to do it, like that's my thing. I feel like it's Christmas because I don't know about anyone else, but it hasn't really been feeling that Christmas and everything.
Speaker 2: I better say.
Speaker 1: I'm quite excited because as I mentioned where, you're doing Christmas dinner at my house this year and every other time Kate's been in control of Christmas dinner, so cooking for it, and I'm actually really excited because I'm finally in control of what, you know, what we're having for Christmas? Three pasta, No, it's not the surgery past.
Speaker 2: What are we having?
Speaker 1: I will I will update everybody on our Instagram on Christmas.
Speaker 2: Day whatever is left the shops.
Speaker 1: Really, this is like, that's one thing I actually love hosting Christmas dinner, so I'm kind of sad that I'm not doing it. I think I'll help Mum with her veggies. Though I'm quite good at Kate's potatoes. Kate's quite good at criticizing. She'll be like, You'll be like.
Speaker 2: These aren't crispy enough. Not turn the other.
Speaker 1: Do I do?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 2: I do good? Roast you do? I think that's a bit too much semolina there from Well, that's a bit rude. That's a lot of I don't know if I have room for it.
Speaker 1: Are you sure you don't have any room for casted?
Speaker 2: I didn't say it was.
Speaker 1: Well. There's been another debate raging in our family, and it's a pudding debate, and it's basically the debate between the expensive pudding and the cheap pudding. So at Woolworth they sell a three dollar pudding and it's in a little red container and it tastes amazing.
Speaker 2: It's just simple. It's really nice with custard and ice cream. But our mum she always every year she forgets that.
Speaker 1: We ask her just to buy the simple one, and she buys this more expensive. It's kind of got like dried fruit and nothing. It's a really like fancy one that's lots of dried fruit, and it's got glitter that you put over the top, and it doesn't taste as nice. I can see when mom likes this one though it's got all the bells and whistles on it.
Speaker 2: There are woman's just trying.
Speaker 1: I think she has bought a less like because Reese is allergic to tree nuts, and I think that that one has nuts in it, so there might be a non nut one.
Speaker 3: I want to just scratch myself. I want to abuse myself. Christine Aguilera singing, and.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding you. I wanted to stab myself now.
Speaker 1: I know we can't give away what we've given one another as a gift, but is there anything that you guys know that you're getting or hope that you're getting on Christmas. See, I've got a lot of surprises coming right way. Normally I pick my gift out that Mum and Dad give me, but this year Sophie has been in charge of that, So no pressure on you too. Okay, sorry said we drove to the middle of nowhere to get you. Well, I'm guessing stuff for my new house because that's kind of what I asked for. But I mean whatever, this will be good. And then yeah, I really don't know anything. I'm getting a lot of surprises.
Speaker 2: What are you getting, Rided?
Speaker 1: What am I getting him? Oh?
Speaker 2: I could probably he won't listen to this. He won't listen. Just tell us he's going to listen to it's not going to he never listens.
Speaker 1: Well, I got him Tommy Hill figure watch and I want to get engraved. But that's cool because he doesn't have his other watch broke, so he likes practical gift.
Speaker 2: So for what are you getting, Brandon?
Speaker 1: Then if he's downstairs, I don't want to be here but this, So I had got him this boxing thing, yeah, a boxing stand in boxing stand here, and I got because we've got this little gym set up downstairs and it's not an actual gym, it's like in the anyway. And then we've got I got him this like big monitor to do his editing on. It's a curve screen one. And then because he says that I have you actually talking so loudly, and because he calls me a gremlin as a joke, I joke that I'm Baby Yoda, So I got him some Baby Yoda songs. What about you, Amy, I know you and Dale have kind of had a bit of a boring old married couple things and each other. What you're getting? Yeah, well, I've got him some work boots so when he does work up at his poppy's house, are pretty cool boots. And then as a surprise, I've brought him a book because he actually loves reading.
Speaker 2: It's about Australian history.
Speaker 1: Does anyone have any inkling as to what they're receiving from their partners?
Speaker 2: I know I'm getting a computer monitor.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to see what Brand has got me because it's been really talked up a lot. It's been told that this present is going to change my life. And he usually goes a little bit crazy with presents, so and it's killing me that both of you know what it is. So I'm guessing you didn't listen to our chat with Victoria Devine about going small just buying your partners. That's what I wanted to do, but he'd already bought it, so then I felt like I kind of had to buy him something to hopefully match it. Oh, can we put in our group how much people actually spend on their partners, because I'd be really interested to know that we had a little one running about what people are wanting, and people were just wanting you know, like vacuum cleaners and really well, I think when you hit a certain age, and especially when you've got like a house, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because really sensible stuff.
Speaker 1: I literally have no idea what Reexe is getting me, so another surprise. It's always nice to get a surprise. I'm sure he'll have done well. I think the thing that I love most is, though, is actually giving gifts. I think it's so exciting to see someone's face when they open up the present you've got for them. Oh me too, Like, I'm not even thinking about give that I'm going to receive. Like to be completely honest, As much as it is nice and we're very privileged to receive gifts. I do love picking presents out for people. I kind of put a lot of pressure on myselves, like I towards Christmas, dare I start second guessing myself? As we heard before, I'm like, Jesus is a watch enough? Like you just really want to get someone something that they're going to really love. Yeah, And as you say, we are very privileged to be receiving such nice presents. And I know everyone's not in the same position, but I hope that everyone gets something that they can at least use, or that's useful for them, or they spend the nice day with their family. Well, I wanted to bring in the idea of everyone getting someone a gift from an op shop or Facebook marketplace, but no, I wanted to do that, Oh my god, as a challenge. As a challenge, I think we've got we don't have enough time as it is.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not now.
Speaker 1: Well, I saw in our group chat about Christmas presents that someone I think it's like an idea for kids, but they're doing it with their partner. It's like something to read, something to do, and something that they need, which was kind of cool to break it down into those those little topics It's really funny because I feel like Christmas Eve is more magical sometimes than Christmas Day. And I'm so excited to have my dog Archie because we really treat him like he's our child. So on Christmas Eve, we are going to be having something to leave out for Santa Claus, and I've got a little stocking for him, so I'm really excited to give him his little presents. So I love it because I was in Kmart picking out a quick present for Shadow. It was literally like a scoop for his food and a place Matt to put under his bowl, and I'm like, Oh, what have you got for Archie? It's it's like, Oh, I've got him a go pro like camera holder for his collar, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: What the hell.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're really making me sound like I've got a lot more money.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: That'sa thing that Victoria Devine says real, a fake, fake, real poort Later hopefully that's not the case. No, I suppose we' wrap it up there because we really got about a hundred things to do before Christmas Day. We really hope you guys have an amazing Christmas with your family and our hearts go out to those affected by the COVID cluster in New South Wales. We really hope you have a great day. We will be joining you again next Thursday for the final installment of a very Outspoken Christmas. I know Christmas will be over by then, but I feel like it's really important to wrap it up because there's that time of the year when it's like between Christmas and New Year's where you're not really sure what day it is, and we just thought it would be cool to have a little Christmas Ey podcast. You'll have to update everyone on the Christmas Morning situation if we managed to have Amy there on time, and maybe at the moment it's bank account hasn't crippled. And also like I'd love to hear what everyone else has been doing for Christmas, so we'll put some threads in our group and hopefully we can share some happy stories from there. But as we said, have a very merry Christmas and we'll be in your ears on Tuesday.