Speaker 1: Laura, come on in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Pickup.
Speaker 3: Laura just had a sandwich before we started. She got it from the cafe. She opened it up.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be like a pit of bread, but they just forgot to put any feeling in.
Speaker 3: There's not a sandwich, there's no there's nothing inside. It's just bread, just two bits.
Speaker 1: Of bread and choking it down because it's so dry.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay, well you just swallow. Okay, in some more exciting room news than my bread. Last week on the show, we were talking about it being February twenty nine, which is a leap year, and apparently on leap years that is when women are supposed to propose to men yes in heterosexual relations.
Speaker 1: Year old Queen Margaret of Scotland said it was okay.
Speaker 3: We don't need to go back into the details yet we were just discussed it really hung up on the history lesson. I appreciate that. But also we had somebody slide into the DM saying that they proposed to their boyfriend of seven or eight years and he said, yes, she's sent a photo of her wearing a beer can little ring, you know the thing that you Anyway, she said it was very spur of the moment.
Speaker 1: She didn't plan it, and then she was on the lounge, she had this moment, so she proposed and then she was like, oh, we don't have a ring.
Speaker 3: So they pulled off like maybe it was like was it a beer can? Like it looked like a ring off a tunican or something that she'd put on a finger.
Speaker 2: It was awful.
Speaker 4: It was a disgusting ring. And it also she said, yes, it goes to show that she listened to the show and was like, I'm doing it tonight because I had no three of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, she may have missed the opportunity of it being February twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, and if she would have looked like missed the opportunity to do it.
Speaker 1: Influence and the power here that we have at the pickup, maybe we should discuss some big topics then if we have that much.
Speaker 2: Influence and we're talking about new marriages.
Speaker 3: Now right, No just just marriages on leap use.
Speaker 4: Okay, well we're discussing age gaps in relationships to we'll do it next in pick up put Down, it's our it's a secondent we do every Monday. We discussed the big topics of the weekend. I mean, I'm a age gat relationship. I'm not going to tell you how.
Speaker 2: Much it is.
Speaker 4: So is brit and Laura went on a reality dating competition and found her husband, So we're all weird.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm still older than that, which you know that does go against the norms, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: So if you're in an age gat relationship, you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 1: And I'm also going to be updating you guys today on something very personal that I've been going through, and that is my fertility journey.
Speaker 3: So it's been an ongoing process for a couple of years if you've been coming along that with me.
Speaker 1: But I do have a pretty big update today.
Speaker 4: All right, it's a big show. That's all on the way here at the pick up. It is Monday, so I think we should.
Speaker 1: Do this pick up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we discussed the big topics of the weekend that had people talking and Laura and Brit you either pick it up, carry on the conversation, or we put it down.
Speaker 2: It's pick up, put down, that's it.
Speaker 3: We do it every week now. It's become a staple, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: It has.
Speaker 3: I love a game show. This is not big game show, is it. I just love a game. It's definitely not a game show.
Speaker 1: It's right.
Speaker 4: It could be though, because the TV network TV networks have reached out they want the rights to it, and I've said no.
Speaker 3: No, we're keeping it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh, here's what have we got. What's going on in the world today?
Speaker 4: Banning single use disposable coffee cups.
Speaker 1: I want to pick that up, but Laura and I both have a coffee in her hand right now, so you know, okay.
Speaker 4: This comes off of the back of Sorry, Western Australia becoming the first state in Australia to introduce a ban on single use, non compostable coffee cups on Friday.
Speaker 3: I think it's great and if it comes in as mandatory, it means that people like us, who sometimes are a bit lazy we forget to bring our keep cup, too busy to think about it. It means you'll be forced to think about it and you have to do it. Says same. But you know what, everyone gets angry with a bit of change and then we all get used to it. Imagine how angry everyone was about the single use plastic bags that will worsen coals that no one cares. They're over it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing for the environment. Obviously it's heading in the right direction. Is it going to be inconvenient a lot of the time. Yes, just means people might drink less coffee too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a green piece about to reach out. We'll get some spun con You are the face of a green world.
Speaker 3: We've got the coffee making coffee.
Speaker 2: It's terrible, all right.
Speaker 4: Next, influencers asking for free food in exchange for exposure?
Speaker 3: What put down? What are you putting down? Though, influencers asking for free food? I would never I would never either. But the only thing I want to say in conflict to this is that businesses can just say no totally, like an asker is gonna ask. A business doesn't have to get so angry and offended. Just say no or don't reply message. We were just sparissing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were talking, That's what happened.
Speaker 4: A UK restaurant has revealed a response they posted online saying that an influencer came in said hey, give me a free meal and I'll give you some exposure for your restaurant. That it wasn't struggling, it was a popular restaurant and they're being slammed for outing them.
Speaker 3: Look, I get why people get annoyed because everyone wants to hate influencers. But in the same instance, for example, like say a magazine contacts a business and says, oh, hey, we're running a promotion. You can put an ad in our paper. It's going to cost you one thousand dollars to run this ad. No business is like, how dare that magazine? Ask me? Influencers have exactly that a huge amount of influence. Lots of people watch what they're doing, and it is a great way of advertising for a lot of business.
Speaker 2: But I think like, yeah, but it's also so angry. Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: There is And I hate to say, I know we all I do influence title, Yeah, but there is. It's the image of an influencer, right, It's the how you're all paying for our meal and you're asking for a free one because you've got a blue tick and you were on a reality show.
Speaker 3: Once I get it, that's not a very pointed mansion.
Speaker 1: You can if you can give a meal, if you can give a fifty dollars meal to somebody that has an audience of like four hundred thousand people. That is advertising you literally will never be able to afford to pay for.
Speaker 3: So I get it.
Speaker 1: I just also, like you said, Laura, just just say I don't have to embarrass them, and.
Speaker 3: Like, I just don't like the idea of shaming and embarrassing people for what when when you can just move on with your day.
Speaker 4: You're gonna love this one. Pick up, put down age gap relationships.
Speaker 1: Pick it up because I have the history of age gap relationship.
Speaker 3: It's a cougar, she's a closet cougar, she loves a young clo she's out of it, and I'm proud I have nothing against age gap relationships. Could killis well.
Speaker 2: This has come out over the weekend.
Speaker 4: A forty eight year old man in a relationship with his grandfather's one hundred and four year old widow.
Speaker 3: He's been questioned, but I just say, I don't have a problem with age gaps. I think we've found potentially where the light is. I have an issue with this one when one hundred and four it's his grandmother.
Speaker 2: Well, essentially so a massive age gap.
Speaker 4: There's no sexual intimacy, apparently they don't have sex, but he's forty eight He said their relationship has an emotional, spiritual, and intellectual depth.
Speaker 3: They lived together, so nearly sixty years difference.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 4: They sleep in separate beds though, because missus has PTSD from World War II experiences. He wasn't born, so they can't sleep together because she has night terrors from World War two.
Speaker 3: Bullshit, this can't be a real relationship. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I believe that love is love except when you're fifty and one hundred and forty.
Speaker 3: I agree, But I also think people do weird stuff. Maybe it is real, Maybe it's real.
Speaker 4: What's that age gap? Forty eight and one hundred and four? What's that it's like it's fifty six years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's look the sixty years. Okay, it's very very weird. I would say most people would say it's not okay because it's just bizarre. But also it doesn't affect me, so I don't care. Let them be in a relationship together.
Speaker 4: Is she sound of mind the one hundred and four year old because one hundred and four. I doubt it because can she consent? That's a big question.
Speaker 3: Okay. I feel like we need to pollination on this one, though, because I would I would love to know, like where is the line? Most people say they're okay with age gat relationships, but how how big can the age gap?
Speaker 2: Because more question, what's your age gap?
Speaker 1: Brit But my ex was seven years and my current relationship is five years, So I'm moving in the right direction into the limit.
Speaker 2: If you're listening, now, what is your age gap? The limit? Like where do you draw a line?
Speaker 4: Thirteen one of sixty five will continue this conversation next on the pickup. If you're just tuning in, we're talking saucy age gat relationships.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, Mitch, you were. You were telling us about this guy who's forty eight years old. He's now in a relationship trying to claim that he's in a relationship with one hundred and four year old woman who is actually the widow. Yeah, well it's kind of like his dated grandfri. So his grandfather died and his widow is now the person he's in a relationship with. It's as confusing as it sounds. But also the question was is how far is too far when it comes to an age gap.
Speaker 1: I'm saying when they're one hundred and they experienced a war that you weren't even born for for me probably the line. Look, I'm I love age gaps as we know, like literally, I date younger.
Speaker 3: I have dated seven years younger historically. How young would you go, though, bri it, that's the question because you say I date younger seven years is your ex? What would be the youngest.
Speaker 1: What I'm going to say is here, as long as they a legal age. Now, what I'm going to say is I genuinely believe most of the time when it's not an obvious green card grab like this guy's obviously doing because he's he's not from Australia, he's dating one hundred and four year old.
Speaker 3: It's very obvious what he's doing.
Speaker 1: For me about listen, age is just a number if it's their maturity level. So like my ex was twenty six, but I didn't notice that difference. My partner now is five years younger than me. I don't notice a difference either.
Speaker 3: To be fair, though, this guy's forty eight, Like I mean, he's mature enough to make a mature decision about who he wants to date. He wants a day in one hundred and four year old woman.
Speaker 2: Let him go. For where I stand is that he's going to get.
Speaker 1: An inheritance and an Australian citizenship.
Speaker 3: Guy, if it makes her happy in her final years, whatever you think of the tech support.
Speaker 4: If she had a HDM I problem with her, Telly, he'd fix it.
Speaker 3: Come on, Sweaty Cobby doesn't even know who he is.
Speaker 1: I think that's my problem. It's it's power imbalance.
Speaker 4: I'm in an age gat relationship. The person I'm seeing is sixties younger than me. But they're twenty one and I'm twenty eight. So then I think anything younger than twenty it's an age thing. You're right, anything younger than the twenties, I think it's an issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not an age. That's also seven years, sorry not six.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting though, because people always have a different variable. So I would go up by fifteen years, but I'd probably only go down by three. So I'd date someone fifteen years older than me, but I'd probably only date someone three years younger than me.
Speaker 2: And old Maddie your partner.
Speaker 3: He's one year younger than me. He's the youngest person I've ever dated. I've only ever dated older guys.
Speaker 1: But it's also it's also more of a shock horror when it's a woman that's older. Age gaps are always fine when the man's older and he's dating down.
Speaker 3: But it's so true, Britt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you're one hundred and four year old woman, I mean, what a boss. Hey, we've got some people calling in with Lee.
Speaker 2: Hi, Lee, what's the what's the age gap ceiling for you?
Speaker 5: Ceiling wise?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 5: Gosh, probably depending on the person. I would say I mainly date based on maturity, like matching wise. So if the person was say, like you know, ten years older or so, but there was still unlike under the same life circumstance that I was, like similar job, industry or whatever, then yeah, I definitely consider it. But younger, oh god, I don't think i'd go more than two to be I.
Speaker 3: Feel the same personally. But I think when you say it's maturity wise, like everyone has a line in the sand, like ten years, twenty years, fifteen years, Like there's got to be an age where you go, Okay, even if our maturity levels match, it just feels a bit too old for me.
Speaker 1: But what's what's your thoughts on this situation where there's a guy that's fifty dating one hundred and four year old that was his grandma.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's definitely a money grab.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, she doesn't even know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she knows.
Speaker 4: She knows.
Speaker 3: There's plenty of one hundred wars. There's probably not plenty. There's a few hundred and four year old who've still got their wits about him.
Speaker 4: But they're not they're not giving they're not giving her enough credit. She could be making the choice. He could be the one being taken advantage of. He's not to add chemistry to it.
Speaker 2: Thanks drama.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, I have a pretty important update after the break. I've been talking about my fertility I mean, if you know me, for a couple of years now. It's been a very I hate the word journey, but it's been a very ongoing journey. And I do have an update that I haven't spoken about on air before. So I'm going to talk to you about that after the break.
Speaker 2: All right, that's next on the pickup.
Speaker 3: So if you guys have.
Speaker 1: Been following along with my fertility journey, it's something that I've been going on.
Speaker 3: I mean it's been going for the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: I've been speaking very openly of the years about my egg freezing purely because I'm in my mid thirties now, my fertility, as most people does around this time, starts to deteriorate. So I did the egg freezing a few times and I haven't spoken about this yet, but last year mid to the end of last year, so I decided that with in my situation and with my fertility and the way it was going, that I should be freezing embryos, not just eggs. I should make real babies and put them on ice because you have more of a chance of success in the future.
Speaker 4: Brit An embryo is like when you inseminate an egg from you with your partner bands.
Speaker 1: Sperm, So I, well, you can do it with anyone sperm. You can do a donus sperm. But I did this experience with my partner Ben, who lives in Scotland, so he came over here to do it, which was amazing, and we just decided as a couple that that's what we wanted to try and do. And then I literally thought, cool, I've made the decision, We'll make an embryo.
Speaker 3: I'll forget about it.
Speaker 1: There is no part of me that thought I would walk away from that situation with no embryos nothing And that's exactly what happened. And I guess I was faced with this. I knew my fertility was not great, but not one percent of me thought I would walk away empty handed. And it was a real slap in the face. So basically, I got a few embryos. And the way it works is you get them on the spot, right walk you wake up from the anesthetic, then struck them.
Speaker 3: They make them right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's amazing, Well you can yeah, yeah, you can walk out. You wake up from the anesthetic, and your doctor will tell you how many she thinks you're going to have, but that's not how many you end up with, because that's how many on that day. But what happens is that takes like six days for them to grow in a little petri dish, and like, some of them won't grow all the way, some of them will make it, some will have an abnormality or whatever.
Speaker 3: So I started with a couple, so I was feeling.
Speaker 1: Really good, and then come day six, I only had one left. And then we did some genetic testing. I paid extra to do the genetic testing, which was just a choice that we made, and unfortunately it came back with a really really rare abnormality that I think like twelve or thirteen kids in the world were born with it because most most of these embryos won't make it to gestation, they won't make it to a live birth, and if they do make it to a live birth, they don't last very long on earth side.
Speaker 3: Devastating. It was really devastating.
Speaker 1: So I remember getting that call in the middle of the night because I was overseas at the time, and my genesis called me.
Speaker 3: It's just like, I'm so.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but your one embryo hasn't developed and we won't be going for with it because it's not viable with life. At some point that that child will die, whether it's miscarriage or early days of life. And I wasn't ready for that because firstly, I just thought, what do you mean there's none? Like how But I just paid all this money and science and I did hormones for three weeks and I've gone under for like the third under and nine of sake for the third time, and I've extracted it and I've waited for six days and I've watched it and what do you mean there's none? She's like, there's just none, like it's sometimes that's how it is.
Speaker 3: And I just got this real.
Speaker 1: A feeling that I can't explain, And I guess that's why it's taken me so long to talk about. And I know so many women go through this ten times more than I have, Like they do so many rounds, and I just can't imagine what that feels like when that's all you want, the feeling of, like not just disappointment and shock, but I was like, oh my god, I've let my partner down, Like I all this pressure for a family. There's two people here and he can't do anything, and it's my body that's not working, quote unquote, And there's a real feeling of the weight of the pressure of failure and ruining someone else's life if they want kids.
Speaker 3: Their opportunity to have children. Yeah, it's really hard. That's such a huge responsibility that you feel as though you're taking on in that moment because it's not I mean, you went through and had another round of testing and also of like trying to create embryos. But I just I feel for any woman out there who feels as though that the sole responsibility falls onto them and that they're a failure if they can't provide this, because it's not the only reason why you're not put on this earth is to have children. Like, there's so much value to your relationship and to your life regardless of whether you do or don't have kids.
Speaker 2: How did Benny take it, your partner? Was he all right?
Speaker 3: Oh, Ben's incredible.
Speaker 1: He really wants to be a dad, but he doesn't have put pressure on me at all, and he has said like he was perfect in that moment. I didn't wake him up and tell him. Actually, I remember going out to the land room and I just cried the whole night and I slept out there, and I didn't want to put that on him, so I just like, and I did all this research about the chromosobal at chromosomal abnormality that our embryo had. I just like spent the whole night looking it up because I was like, oh my god, does this mean all of our children are going to have this? Because I didn't have enough time to go through it with a specialist. But he was amazing. He said, I want kids, but I want you more, like it's not a choice. It's not a choice for me, Like I was such a beautiful yeah response yeah, he's like, I will, because I get that kids are non negotiable for a lot of people, Like in a relationship, there are people that just the be all and end all. But I think it's different when it's not a choice. It's different when I'm not saying I don't want them. I was just saying, look, I couldn't provide you with that at this time. But what I do want to say is I don't want this just to be a real doom and gloom. It was, and I know for a lot of women it was. But we let a couple of months go by and then we did it again, and my specialist gave me like double the hormones and it was the worst couple of weeks ever.
Speaker 3: I was all right previously, but with.
Speaker 1: The extra hormones, it was really, really tough. And my partner Ben flew over and because he was worried that I would get a bad result again going through it alone my world, so he flew over just for a couple of days to look after me. And I am very happy to report that with this extra embryo, with the extra hormones, we did get three embryos, so after like six months, we did get a couple, so we do have three that there for one day when I wanted to, but I just wanted to say it only because I know so many women go through this and it's not spoken about.
Speaker 3: And this enormous pressure that's put on ourselves.
Speaker 1: By ourselves and by society. It's it shouldn't be like that, and I just want people to know that if you're going through it, you're one hundred percent not alone.
Speaker 4: You've been talking about this on this show for like the beout half of the year, so you can podcast it too on I Heart. If you was on Life un Cut, your podcast, you've been speaking about it for a long time.
Speaker 1: This a big episode on Life Uncut that we did just last week. If you guys want to go and hear more, we'll see tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Goobye, guys,