Speaker 1: Got anything good.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Pats is up in arms this morning, ready to start a petition. Wocers have gone too far when shuck horror she was in some yuppie pub at the weekend in Yarraville that wouldn't serve her a lemon squash Christian Tower phats altona RSL does lemon squash. Of course they were the RSL's Everton Draft.
Speaker 3: You probably drove right Parslor and your way.
Speaker 1: By the way. So you were talking about how in the sixties and seventies here in Australia. I didn't know this and Jack did neither. They're in pubs, women weren't really allowed into the front bar. That was the domain of the men. And you had it, what did you call it?
Speaker 4: The ladies lady's lounge And it was actually sign posted on the doors ladies lounge most pubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have a listen to the Sisters from a documentary this Day today from the ABC.
Speaker 4: Do you have it to people like me walking in and having a drink.
Speaker 2: Here amongst you? I think myself that the place for women is the saloon bow on the lounge.
Speaker 1: Why what's wrong with us without.
Speaker 2: If I want to talk or swear or something like that and the woman's standing behind me, you can't, can you? Why you just what you can't or don't?
Speaker 1: So we say that women need to be someone else because he can't talk. He's so intimidated by women. They must be kept in a separate part of a building. He can't even speak.
Speaker 2: They don't sweat.
Speaker 1: That's a great getting a car when he's by himself and just shout and sweat.
Speaker 3: Also, he said, if a woman standing behind you like there's no way you would let her sit next to you, she would be part of the conversation.
Speaker 5: Are you doing back there?
Speaker 1: Shocking?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: So? Do you remember that this Day to Night?
Speaker 4: That's a great documentary. I've actually watched that a few times. It's brilliant and it's just a great snapshot.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have to watch that how it was?
Speaker 4: Those were the times to.
Speaker 1: Believe we have come. Also, tell me this, guys, you didn't all used to speak like that, because at first, when I first heard this is now, I thought it was in England, not Australia.
Speaker 4: Do you object to people like me walking.
Speaker 1: In and having she sells more English than I do. Do you object to people like me walking around here? You uncouth? Do you object to people like me walking in and having could you take a break from licking the windows? Gets the queen? There's the queen maker this documentary.
Speaker 4: The accent has changed enormously.
Speaker 3: Anytime you watch older days austral Of footage, they sound like that.
Speaker 1: I says, trying to do an impersonation of an English person.
Speaker 4: Do you object to people like me walking in and.
Speaker 1: Having like the English plumbing people?
Speaker 2: Do you object to people like me walking in and having a drinking amongst jip? I think for myself that the place where women is the sloan bow or the lounge.
Speaker 1: They really struck gold with him, didn't they. Now we've got a cuple of calls that can help you out, Patsy. Lisha's on the line and on.
Speaker 5: In Lisha, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good to hope you had a nice weekend.
Speaker 5: I die, I hope you do too.
Speaker 1: Now, Lisia, what can you tell Patsy but have been upset? That's wokesm too far. She can't get hold of lemon squash, so you.
Speaker 5: Can get them anywhere. My husband can't drink so he has drink slemon squashes everywhere. Any pub we go to a club, if they're not sure, handa maker. He tells them how to make.
Speaker 3: It a coil.
Speaker 1: So what is it just lemon, let me squash or whatever.
Speaker 3: Australia's James, So what pubs?
Speaker 4: What area are you in?
Speaker 5: I mean I'm randomic Crek area, but that one in the city Foldale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, see you're out on the Yeah, you're on the fringe. They know, they know in the bush in the suburban area.
Speaker 1: You need to.
Speaker 3: Bourban Melbourne.
Speaker 4: Wow, Dale is out and about.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: All right, Lisia, have a nice week. Thanks to Cool the show, Thank you, Christian O'Connell show podcast Right Now and Acts then tal History lesson as unraveling on the show thanks to Patsy, we found this ancient documentary from an old current of I'm guessin this would have been a big Landmark can't Affairs show back of the day, pats Yeah, this day tonight.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes it was, it was massive. It was before a current affair.
Speaker 1: It was like that, did you have I guess then nationwide would have come along with it in the later years as well, and we had nationwide in the eighties you would have had that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we found this documentary which Patsy was telling us about Jack and I had no idea that there was male and female segregation in pubs here in Australia in the sixties up until did you say seventy four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, women barred from front bars.
Speaker 3: That happening clip we played before was nineteen seventy four where at the start of women pushing to be allowed in the front bar, do.
Speaker 4: You object to people like me walking in and having a drink here.
Speaker 2: Amongst gip I think for myself that the place for women is the saloon bow on the lounge.
Speaker 4: Why what's wrong with us without.
Speaker 2: If I want to talk or swear or something like that, and the woman standing me, I mean you can't, can you? You just what you can't or don't?
Speaker 1: We found this other clip You're afraid of women?
Speaker 2: Lead up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, must be afraid of us hearing your language.
Speaker 2: Well, Well, perhaps we're days and paper and we don't like swearing in front of women.
Speaker 1: Why is so obsessed with wanting to swear in public spaces to go and do that? What was all like swearing in another places? You can, like the rest of us or anywhere else during the day you actually needed to go somewhere in a room with other men that could. It must have been so noise, probably like a Turette's anonymous meeting. Everyone is bellowing and swearing at the top of their voices.
Speaker 3: It's not like men. Rather than wanting to go and have a drink and get drunk, you're more obsessed with going to have a swear with your mates.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the worst pub to ever go into. Are just a cuckoff and in symphony of like f's and sea words and stuff like that, lea afraid of women lit as.
Speaker 3: Well, you must be afraid of us hearing your language.
Speaker 2: Well, well, perhaps we're days and paper and we don't like swearing in front of women.
Speaker 1: We found another clip here. This one's shocking.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm sorry I took your place.
Speaker 4: I think when I pushed in you don't mind me being hidio I do?
Speaker 2: Why because you don't share it.
Speaker 3: You're only drink of water.
Speaker 1: So is he saying you don't shout around? Yes, yeah, so women don't get rounds and they just drink pints of water.
Speaker 4: To be drinking alcohol. If you're a woman apparently.
Speaker 1: Blood was this lemon squash. You weren't allowed to swear, you weren't real allowed to talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, there was no place for women. You weren't treated as an equal. It was as simple as that.
Speaker 3: I think we underestimate, especially in my generation, how bad it used to be. That shocking.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you didn't know. No, so mom, Dad never mentioned it or anything.
Speaker 3: Going to the ladies lounge. I never heard of it.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: The Christian o'connal show podcast m