Speaker 1: Welcome to Them, Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Sport is filled with these iconic moments and sometimes they produce like iconic images. That's one of Muhammad Ali at Madison Square Garden where it's an overhead shot and he stood over the inert body of Sonny Liston and it was an incredible moment. No one thought Ali would win and take on this former gangster. And that shot of Buddy at the seg is one of those iconic Super Bowl moments in sport where actually something magical happens, which is why you know we go every weekend. You hope for something magical, You really really hope against a lot of times that something magical happens. And him amongst thousands, thousands of people in a sea of fans. I've never seen an image like that in AFL. Actually you can't even see the grass, can't see it's skerrik of green from the grass.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing image.
Speaker 2: So out of all this amazing outpouring of love for what Buddy managed to do kick a thousand goals, there was also some other little it's too there's a lady's head that Channel seventh thought we're broadcast this zoom in on the head. To be fair, it looked like she just had her hair done. It was beautifully styled anyway. The other thing that I really love seeing is there was a there was a lady that took her NaN's ashes that's also a big Swanys fan and thought this was the moment to sprinkle some of nance.
Speaker 1: She would have loved this, and so she.
Speaker 2: Rushed out like with the thousands of other but produced a glad bag which I normally put the kids sort of school lunches in, and Nan was in them, and sprinkled some of a Nan on that very special turf. Her name's Crystal. She was there with her brother. I thought, I've got to speak to her today. What a lovely thing to do. But I'm dying to know. I have so many questions Crystal.
Speaker 3: Hey, how are you going?
Speaker 1: Crystal?
Speaker 2: Please tell me, by the way, what has your weekend been like? Have you had this huge reaction from people?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's been sort of. I never thought that I would go viral for anything, and I never thought that doing this would would do that. We just did it, you know, we just had that man. We just wanted to honor NaN's wishes. And you know if we could, you know, so we took the opportunity when it come about and just yeah, so there's been you know good and bad from this. You know, should have done it, shouldn't have done it, but you know, yeah, we just wanted to do it for Nan and you know, she loves the AFL, loves this one and loves their scg and we've had you know, grown up there with her taking us to the Sydney Swan.
Speaker 1: So tell us about non is it Edna Edna?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, NaN's yeah, so originally from Victoria, she come up to New South Wales central coast in the seventies and you know, got heavily involved in a local AFL club up here. She was president, you know for a good thirty years. She was active. She's a life member there now it got Rufford Tigers, Yeah, the Gospel Tigers, so she was you know, she's been their mascot, she's you know, collected the membership, she's you know president, she's yeah, very heavily involved in.
Speaker 1: That character on awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, she was not your conventional Nan by any means, but you know, we wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 1: So did she sort of.
Speaker 2: Leave if anything happens to me, you know, I want to be cremated and I want some of those to be sort of sprinkled around.
Speaker 3: She said she'd love she'd you know, she said it to us like she'd love to have, you know, be part of the stgy. She always wanted to do the coin toss in the middle as well, obviously when she was here. So we thought that's why we ran to the center of the field where they do the bounce, and because we knew, you know, we wouldn't get close to Buddy anyway, and not that we we would have done it there.
Speaker 2: Anyway over Buddy.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not. So. Yeah, we were running actually against the crowd because we were on just where the interchange was for the Geelong. So we ran out there and everyone was running wrong to left and I was trying to run through it. So I think there's there is footage out there and me being taken out. If I think about three guys, do you.
Speaker 2: Think you're even going to make it, because obviously it must have just been chaos.
Speaker 3: Christ it was. It was just like I sort of really actually can't remember doing it. I just remember just like Joel just went go go go.
Speaker 2: So we're just going and it sounds like Joel your brother was running interference, you know, sort of pushing people off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well he was. He was behind me, so yeah, that's why. Yeah, he was sort of he helped pick me back up a bit when they got taken out. We made it to the middle and well done. Yeah, And I think I think if I knew it was going to go this viral, I you know, mum had the ashes with her. Mum put it in the you know, it was only a few tea spoons, like it was hardly anything, but I would have had it in something a little nicer than clad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got some question about the glad bag. Normally you put the kids sort of lunches and stuff like that and that. So mum had the ashes, Your mum got.
Speaker 3: Mum's got NaNs, Yeah, NaN's ashes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you siphoned a bit off, like you said, maybe the team Mum.
Speaker 3: Mum did all that, so mum put it in. It was mum who you know, brought it down and like we were all Mum was there and we were, you know, all a part of it. Mum just didn't get out to the you know, the rush. She we didn't want her to get hurt.
Speaker 2: So that image of you are basically emptying out a glass back of your NaN's ashes.
Speaker 3: A nice too. I just want to went through it.
Speaker 1: Who and had it been in your pocket? Had not been in your pocket beforehand? And you're waiting, is he going to do it? Is he going to kick the one thousandth You know?
Speaker 3: By halftime we were like, yeah, it's not going to happen. You know, we were like, okay, we had Nan with us, I had a picture of her, and we had her all there with us. But then third quarter come and they kicked a quick two goals and we're like the fourth quarter, were like, I so you said, Mom, where is it? And yeah, put it in my pocket? And so do we you know, Yeah, when he made that mark, we were like we were three rows back. So we started pushing forward because everyone just started coming down. So we got there and yeah and just as soon as you know, he kicked it and they opened the gate.
Speaker 2: And do you know, for someone who loved her foote, I think it was the perfect place for some of mom to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah spring, Yeah, she lived and breathed afl and you know she instilled that in us and you know, we love AFL and the Swans and she you know, original Western Bulldogs supporter because that was where she was born. But when she come up to the New South Wales and the Swans come up here in eighty two, she was just Swans all the way.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? I think?
Speaker 2: It was amazing for that amazing moment, you know, which may may never happen again in footy.
Speaker 1: Actually someone kicking one thousand ago. It was actually great.
Speaker 2: Your nan Edna was there, your mom was there, and then you and your brother were there. There's something really magical about that crystal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's sort of what we want everyone to take away from it. You know, it was I didn't you know, I didn't want to offend anyone or anything like that. It was really just and.
Speaker 2: Right is who the hell is really offended by that? When you when you spread someone's ashes, you're spreading them, you're returning them to the universe. If you're offended by that, crist will waste no time today or this week worrying about people saying they're offended by It's an act of love for someone who gains so much the footye it's the perfect place for her to be sprinkled red. He I think it's a love it's a loving gesture that it's a great way, and I think it's awesome that you were there for that. I'm curious. One final question, right, so round one? Was Nan there taken on g WS or not?
Speaker 3: No, Well, mam asked my brother whether because he went to that game. I didn't go to that game, but my brother did, and Mama asked, did you want to take something? He went, no, it's SG. Buddy waited.
Speaker 2: He knew buddy waited and I think Nan, you know, had stuff to do with it.
Speaker 3: So, but yeah, May is there.
Speaker 2: I can feel your presence. Yep Ah, that's great, Crystal. I love what you did. I think it's brilliant and I think Edna would have loved that as well. So thank you for s being to us today. But please waste no time. And people just say they're offended these days, they just like people that professionally offended.
Speaker 1: You did. You did nothing wrong. It's a beautiful thing you did.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast