Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast to beat the line. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin Norris, and on today's episode, I'm joined by three incredibly talented actors, Ben Lawson, Teresa Palmer and Jim Sturgis, the stars of the new Binge series Mixtape. Now, if you're anything like me, you've probably been aware of these actors for quite some time. Jim Sturgis, of course stolar hearts in One Day, the film with Anne Hathaway. Not sure if Europe's as obsessed with that movie as I am. He's gone on to make a huge name for himself all around the world. Theresa Palmer, of course, is one of Australia's brightest exports. Has starred in Warm Bodies, A Discovery of Witches and I only just found this out. Not only has she had this amazing career in film and television, but she's also about to be a mother of six, like where do you find the time? And also Ben Lawson, who we first met in Australia's very own soap opera Neighbors. He's managed to carve out a solid Hollywood career. I know that most of my female friends are obsessed with Firefly Lane, thirteen reasons why, and I could go on. I mean, the list for these guys is quite unreal. Today we're talking about the deeply emotional series Mixtape, from the lost art of making mixtapes to the emotional depth of playing flawed, complex characters. These three don't hold back in this chat, and if you could see that they have some amazing chemistry between the three of them, you'll get to hear what it was like bringing younger and older versions of these characters to life, how music became a central heartbeat to this story, and why Mixtape hits so hard emotionally. And yes, we do get into a few hilarious behind the scenes stories, including Ben's surprising first crash pad in Los Angeles with a best friend of one of the cast of nine to two one zero. It's very random story to just add into the podcast. So, guys, I'm really hoping you're here to listen to some fantastic stories about how Mixtape has been made. It was so much fun to sit down with these three. Even though it is a short episode, it is a lot of fun. So let's dive in. Hey, guys, thanks for jumping on and chatting about mixtape. I'm actually a ridiculously big fan of all three of you for very different reasons. So yeah, I'll start with you. Jim So my partner whenever goes away. I watch the movie one day. I've probably seen it more like an unhealthy amount of time.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 1: And Theresa. I've been like obsessed with you and asking to have you on this podcast for probably four years, and I've done five hundred and sixty episodes, So to have you here today is amazing. Congratulations on baby number one hundred.
Speaker 3: I see, I think I'm at six now.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Then, I met you years ago in Los Angeles, and I think you were living with Tory Spelling's best friend or something. Does that ring a belty?
Speaker 2: That was the very first place I ever stayed in LA. It was I had a month sublet that I found on Craigslist, and yeah, it was Tory Spelling's first.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, did toy pop over all.
Speaker 3: Anti climbacc.
Speaker 1: Red hair from memory? I remember?
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all three of you need a restraining order against me. What a way to start? I want to say, the music had to be really good. For this series to work, and it really does lift. And I must admit I've already started putting together a mixtape of the soundtrack. But for you guys, are you familiar with the era of making a mixtape for something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you know how old we are?
Speaker 2: You're the youngest. I mean, you're surely.
Speaker 1: Your night in the middle of you're in the middle of it.
Speaker 5: You started being into CDs?
Speaker 3: I did, but I did star in my very first car. I didn't have a CD player and like a hold of a Marina and so I had a little mixtapes I would make and I'd put in my mum's little red hole and Marina. It was so fun. It was like we were saying, it's actually a shame that they're like the days of.
Speaker 2: The past now.
Speaker 4: And also who could afford to buy tapes?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: It was like if you were rich, you know, you could just go to the shop Brashes and buy like a real tape. But like otherwise, the gifting and exchanging of curated you know, mixtapes was where I was at.
Speaker 3: My dad owned a CD shop my whole oh, my childhood, so I could go and get like for me, it was Michael Jackson. It was like Michael Jackson tapes. That's when I first started listening to. I'd just go down to my dad's, like the compact disc shop that my dad had, and I.
Speaker 1: Had go and get her.
Speaker 3: And then of course it folded because no one listened to CDs after all.
Speaker 1: It's so funny though, because like with this story, it's kind of like, you know, when you make food for someone, it's kind of romantic. It's kind of that sort of you know, where someone takes the time to put together their playlist, and that's really the center of this story, which has done really well. Had any of the three of you read the book before being approached to do this.
Speaker 5: I had read the novel and it was it was presented to me as the screenplay first, you know, which is kind of you know, it was good because I think they did change the world a little bit from the book, and there was different music that we used, and we used a different sort of period of time. So yeah, we sort of focused on the screenplay predominantly and sort of built it all together. It was really such a collaborative kind of experience to sort of pickle the music. Working with Lucy Gaffie the director, who is the most collaborative person I've ever ever worked with in my life.
Speaker 3: I have to say Jim had a big part in the music selection. You would be sending tracks consistently.
Speaker 5: I got kind of obsessed in it and I used it and I tried to pretend that it was part of my character research. But I believe I was just like, sort we got it right because it's all set in the North part of England, which is a which is a place that I know and understands sort of well, and the music very specifically was coming out of that place at that time, and so I believe that these young kids will be listening to a specific kind of sound, you know. And everybody was really on board with that, and we really started to dive deep and investigate and find out what these kids, what these young teenagers would really be listening to, you know, And often it wasn't the obvious tracks, so you know, it wasn't the sort of the number one hits or the sort of single from the album. It was the more sort of obscure album tracks. Certainly, when I made mixtapes, you'd put the weird ones in there to try and make yourself look cool, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: How did you go about? Because I mean there's so much back and forward between the young actors playing these characters and yourself, and I was so mesmerized by it that I started doing a deep dive on lots of film and TV where this happens. How did you guys go about making sure that these characters were the same people.
Speaker 3: We didn't really have that opportunity, to be honest, because the younger versions of us were cast after we had already shot maybe three quarters of our stuff, so it was probably more on them to meet what we've done. And then Lucy Gaffe, being the genius that she is our director, she was able to steer I think both of those younger formers into a place where it felt like we were playing the same person. But I think for me it was probably easier than say, Jim, because my character is completely shape shifting, so I didn't have to necessarily match the exact energy that Florence was bringing up because I've completely reinvented myself and had a rebirth. But watching it last night, I noticed that there's like such subtleties and what both of us are doing where we're more reserved and we're quieter, and that was just two individual choices and it happened to a line. So we got really lucky there.
Speaker 5: I had beautiful Rory, who plays the younger version of me, and this is the first job that he's done, This is his first sort of professional acting job. So he came on to the set he was so hungry desperate to kind of learn, and asked the director if he could watch the monitor and sort of watch my scenes and see if he could sort of take anything from that, which was hugely intimidating as she's have a young actor could have studied the study the work that's going on at the time. And Lucy actually for me, she'd actually sent me some of the audition tapes that they were doing because she was she just wanted to know how I felt about you. I think they I think they were quite sure of who they were going to cast for the young Allison and they were sort of, you know, really sort of trying to make sure they got the right young Daniel. And so she did send me some casting tapes quite early on and said, who do you feel is feeling like your version? Who do you feel you're kind of connecting to with these young actors, and I was so grateful to be able to be included into that, you know process. And I could just see straight away from Rory that he just had a sort of there was a sort of gentleness and of vulnerability, and I believe that he was a sort of you know, he was a lad, and he was a sort of you know it was it was someone that could sort of hold his own but had a sort of slight kind of poetry to him as well.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I'm running out of time, Ben. I always finished this podcast with a question of what's something from behind the scenes, And I was going to say, Ben, the subtlety with your character and the fractures in the marriage that come across on screen almost immediately with his character would have been very difficult because Theresa is so likable.
Speaker 3: Yes, challenge, what a challenge.
Speaker 1: How did you go about sort of creating that subtlety? You know, for us as an audience, we kind of it almost gives us a reason to not like you in a way so that we can support the fact that she is setting back outside the well.
Speaker 2: That was the drawer of the role for me, is you know, being able to jump into a character that it's not clear whether he's all good or all bad, or if we're supposed to like him or not. And there's many, many reasons why he's a good fit for Allison, you know, like she ended up with him for a reason, and you know, to sort of play him in a Mastache twieling, you know, villain way would have been like ridiculous but also insults you know, Allison Teresa's character because we go, well, why would the person that we're rooting for, why would she end up with this villain? So what was fun for me was to really sort of try to be the most likable version of this guy who's kind of controlling, you know, like he's certainly problematic in his marriage, and there are many clues in between them that tell us that she doesn't have a freedom in this marriage that she should have. So you know, that was really the fun part for me. It was like trying to get the audience on my side as much as possible to then have them go, oh, I don't know how to feel about this guy. So that was the game of it.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations, guys, I have to let you go. This show is so great, Like it's so deep, it's so rich and I can't wait for people to watch this, to enjoy the music, enjoy your performances, and congratulations to the three of you.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks, Benjamin