Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantus, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Goodday, everybody, welcome back to another episode of The Unplaybook Podcast.
Speaker 2: We've got a.
Speaker 1: Massive episode coming up for you today with interviews with Matt Short and Jake Lehman to come up on the show. But first let's introduce Kane Richardson, who's back here again.
Speaker 2: There's every week.
Speaker 1: Rich Oh, I know it's been a big week for you, and there's some news around Punch the Monkey that I know that's really stirred up to your feelings on the during the week.
Speaker 3: You've completely lost me already five seconds into this you said it's been a big week for me, and I thought, what's happened. I've been sitting on a burro at home for the whole week, So not a big week for you.
Speaker 2: Not across the Punch the Monkey news.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's move on very quickly into this week's weekly winner. Rich sho you want me to start this week because you always seem to it off, which you should, But this week I'm going to go for the obvious one, Alyssa Healy obviously the retiring grade final. Odi just punches out one hundred and fifty eight of ninety eight deliveries, her highest score in Australia, second highest audio score and I think from a one hundred to fifty and sixteen balls or something ludicrous. So what a way to sign out? And she decided to have a trendle as well.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought you were going to point to first. I thought that would be especially the topic of today's Big four. I don't want to give too much away, but.
Speaker 2: No, I give it away.
Speaker 3: We have now, haven't we.
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 1: The topic of today's span is part time bowl is the best that we've seen?
Speaker 3: So and I assume that came into your mind because of a listen here, right, yeah, right, yeah. I did find it funny that she did give herself the ball and one above.
Speaker 1: There was some rusty coling in there. We'll get to it, but not just one over. Yeah, she went for a second so.
Speaker 3: One of the wicket didn't Absolutely I reckon she would have preferred a wicket over the one hundred and fifty eight, but again one hundred fifty out of ninety eight four hundred and nine wrapped up. What a way to go out, as she said, So she's still got the Test match to come, but just cementing again her legacy for generations to come as one of the greats of women's cricket in this country. So she was one of my weekly winners.
Speaker 2: But for the batting, or for the bowling, or for the all around.
Speaker 3: It, for everything. Also for staky again in the com box looking dapper as some great footage when she brought up one hundred. You didn't really know how to just played it cool. So because he knew the camera was on it exactly. He's our man, So we love love their work. I went to Andrew Sampson as my backup plan just in case, because you're talking Beginnings needed to win to get into a semi final. We know the pressure that the Indian team were under ninety seven or fifty chasing a decent score against the Western East to basically send them home and India to progress. And there was a lot of people happy after that. I reckon the breathing a sigh of leaf because it looked like not that they are out of it the halfway point, but you need a lot to go right chasing that score, and they did start slow. So basically one one man bandit to win. So ninety seven not out of fifty balls, get them to win. They're in the semi final. Now, the broadcasters are happy, BCCI a happy, well, crickets happy. So a couple of big semi finals coming up in the space you can smell trophies now.
Speaker 2: It's kind of yeah, yeah, you've.
Speaker 3: Got the One Day Cup coming up, probably not as high on people's agenda as the T twenty.
Speaker 2: But for us it is definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's getting to that time of the year where it's time to start winning some stuff.
Speaker 1: We'll touch on the T twenty World Cup very shortly, but when you get to the final four, is it genuinely anyone's game or are there still guys and teams who are in favoritism here or is it even playing field now?
Speaker 3: No, it's definitely, there's definitely seeds still and being a home country and everyone's pre tournament favorite India. So but again, like you said last week, England have done nothing wrong. They've just slowly just gone about their work under the radar. So Africa have been probably one beat to India's one a and then New Zealand just once again like no one's We hadn't spoken about him, No one had spoken about him. Oh look at that New Zealand final of the World Cup again. So I mean it's all going to come down to the toss of the coin in my view, that's going to be such a heavy part of it. But still the best team can win batting first if they put a complete game together. So for very worthy teams.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, we'll get to a more in depth preview of those semifinals very shortly, but after a quick word from our Sponsorible here from Matt Short, who was in Australia's two twenty World Cup squad before the tournament began. He was then left out of the finalize squad that they announced, and he gives us a bit of an insight into how that all played out and what's next for him. Pleasure to be joined now by Matt Short, who's just slotted back in seamlessly to that Victorian side. They're absolutely flying at the minute. Welcome to the Unplayable podcast. Shorty, thanks mate, thanks having me, no.
Speaker 2: Worries at all. Yeah, let's talk about the Vics.
Speaker 1: Obviously they've walked in that home final, already in the Sheffield Shield, they're going really well. What's the vibe around the group at the minute.
Speaker 2: It's been been really good.
Speaker 4: I suppose it's been the vibe sort of every time I get back to play with them, but.
Speaker 2: It's been really good. They've obviously had a really good year.
Speaker 4: A lot of guys are standing up, which is good, not relying on just a couple of guys.
Speaker 2: So no, it's just awesome to see the depth of the VIC cricket standing up.
Speaker 4: And yeah, as I said, even the new guys that are coming in, yeah, making an impact and helping win win games for the Vics.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's awesome to see the boys lpping about.
Speaker 1: One of the moves that we've seen made this year has been Sam Harper up to open, especially in the last couple of weeks, and they've got those twin tons in Perth. Was the prize to you, because I mean for a lot of us looking on that was a bit of a surprise to see him move up to the top, but seems like it suits him perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 4: I sort of look at it and no one really knew what the batting order is going to be over in Perth. But yeah, he's sort of a weird one because he's he's obviously opened a lot in white ball cricket and just sort of tends to get moved around the order a bit in in the.
Speaker 2: Red Bull stuff.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it was a bit of a strange one, but it obviously paid off and Bucky, Bucky the coach, he's obviously pretty happy with the decision and the mastermind behind it all. But nah, obviously Harps is in some incredible form. Just got that confidence now that I think he's found a tempo that suits him really well. Yeah, it's been been awesome to see. He deserves every bit of his A very hard worker and yeah, just awesome to see him doing well at the moment.
Speaker 1: And from a bowling point of view, I mean there's wickets everywhere you look. Scott bowl On, Sam Elliott, Mitch Perry, Fergus O'Neill, and then you throw in Todd Murphy as well for some spin options. There's just so many options with the ball as well at the minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you missed will Sudland in there as well. Yeah, it's gonna gonna be tight come come, the last game of the year. But yeah, I said, everyone's standing up, everyone's sort of scoring runs and taking wickets, so I guess you know, they all say it's a good problem to have with the depth and whatnot. So yeah, it was pretty special, you know, the other week in Perth, just watching the guys go about it and sort of just standing in the hammock at first slip and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was awesome to watch.
Speaker 1: Now as we've touched on, you guys have locked in that home final, which means the Sheffied Shield is going to be on the line.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 1: I think it's March twenty sixth. Have you won a Sheffield Shield yourself? I know you've been in a couple of losses to w A, but have you won one yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: One one one against New South Wales. I was about seventeen eighteen, so yeah, and then as you said, lost a couple against WA so it's nicely that win against them over there. You don't often win a good first but yeah, I was luck enough to play in that one against New South at the Junction was a good few days.
Speaker 1: And we've seen your coach, Bucky Rogers even come out and push your test credentials. If you finish this shield block, well, he reckons that you're definitely in the mix for a test looking as well. How do you sort of respond to something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's always a hard one, and it's probably been been tough for the last sort of two or three years just with the amount of white ball going on. And you know, I've we comes to a point now where, you know, especially sort of finding myself out of the white ball team at this stage, sort of really needed to sit down and figure out what I want to do and you know, what I want to have.
Speaker 2: With a crackout, whether it's red ball or white ball.
Speaker 4: So probably in the middle of that and probably needed a bit of time to work through that. So yeah, look at it, it's always been a tough question to answer, Like obviously it's great to have those comments come from your coach, and yeah, it's just sort of comes down to me and what sort of suits me and me and my family and what makes us happy and yeah and go from there. So yeah, got a bit of work to go through at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe this is a tough one to answer, But in terms of the formats, I mean, from an outsider's point of view, it seems like T twenties and one days would be pretty similar in terms of your prep and everything. And then you've got four A and five of their cricket, which is just a completely different ball game. Do you prefer the the longer leadings and the longer match days or are you happy with them just in and out in one day sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, in terms of the playing style and whatnot, I'm happy with the sort of the short and sharp games. But then I guess in terms of the training, and you know what's actually good for your game, I guess the red ball and training, you know, working on your technique and trying to spend time in the middle, I guess is really good for your game. So sort of just weighing up all those pros and cons. And you know, I'm not saying that you don't train for T twenty or one days, but you know you probably don't get the time in the middle that you can in red ball, And yeah, so they're sort of the things that I'm weighing up and what I enjoy more or what I don't And as I said, what what's better for me in the family moving forward?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, cool. And so let's circle back to that T twenty World Cup. You're in the preliminary squad and then left out of the official squad that they took in. Can you talk us through those decisions and how you were sort of made aware of that and was a surprise to you, I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: I guess when I found out I was in the first squad of fifteen, the preliminary squad, I was obviously really wrapped. And I guess from the moment I found out, it was pretty much let's prep for World Cup and you know, let's make sure, you know, I hit the ground running and try and win a World Cup for Australia and you know, just the whole sort of experience. And you know, I've been been around the squad a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Over in the West Indies.
Speaker 4: I was, you know, I was a replacement or not a replacement of traveling reserve player.
Speaker 2: See, I sort of had the taste of it, but you know without playing.
Speaker 4: So this this time, I was really keen to get to Silanka and really push my case and and try and be involved in the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Was really going forward to it.
Speaker 4: But then, yeah, I suppose we there weren't too many comms sort of leading up to.
Speaker 2: Leading up to the World Cup.
Speaker 4: Obviously we had the Pakistan series, which again was a you know, it was going to be a nice little prep into the World Cup that I was going to use. And I guess they made the conditions, you know, pretty tough, tough to play, you know, looking at what Trelanka was probably going to offer us. So you know, I was really look forored to get into Pakistan and you know, sort of testing myself and then seeing what it was going to be like. And yeah, obviously didn't not too many I was did too well over in Pakistan. It was a pretty tough series to be involved in. But yeah, I sort of found out well not to play the first game in Pakistan and then got the call, got a call from Dodders who was over there with us, I think the day or the night before the second game.
Speaker 2: Of the not before the second game of the three game series.
Speaker 4: So I was like, oh, you know, he sort of invited me into his room, and I thought, you know, I'll probably get and dropped for the next couple of games or whatnot.
Speaker 2: And when I walked.
Speaker 4: In, Ronnie was in there as well, so I was like, shops, something going on here.
Speaker 2: And I hadn't really heard much.
Speaker 4: There wasn't much communication around, you know, what the sward was doing, or you know, we're heading to Schlanker in three days time. And then yeah, it's sort of Dods was like, look, mate, there's atwing moving parts with injuries, and you know, they weren't sure how long TV was going to take. And obviously Patty was out and and hoff was was not ruled out at that stage, but he was out. And yeah, they just said they wanted to go with you know, while TV was out, they wanted that they wanted Renders in in to come through the middle. You know, maybe is a better option against spin, maybe it's a left hander, and you know, with the top order being so so stacked as it was, I guess my only way in was was probably through through the middle.
Speaker 2: So I guess that was the reasoning there.
Speaker 4: And yeah, so I went into the room thinking I wasn't playing in Pakistan for the next couple of games, but you know, I still had an a Tralannka but they were like, na, you're still playing the next couple of games in Pakistan, but you'll be on the next plane owns. So it was it was tough, but I guess it's it's it's made me sort of realize and sit down that there are there are actual areas of my game that I need to improve and which I suppose you probably comes more down to me. I've probably gone through the last couple of years, gone from tournament to tournament or series a series and not actually sat down well enough or reviewed how I'm actually going or.
Speaker 2: Or what what I need to work on, what's going well, what's not.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I sort of use the last few weeks, you know, since getting back from Pakistan to talk to the people I need to talk to and work out a plan to get back in that Australian team and and yeah, get better as a cricketer.
Speaker 1: It's tough though, because I mean, obviously we've seen all your success or a lot of your success in the shortest form be at the top of the order. So does it come to a point where you might have to say, well, maybe I want to bat Elsa in the order, just to show my flexibility and to show that not necessarily just pigeonholers as an open end T twenty cricket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit. I mean.
Speaker 4: I suppose that the reason that, yeah, I suppose the reason I got into the Australian team in the first place was from opening the batting and doing quite well. So I don't want to get rid of that, and the communication from from you know, from Ronnie and Bales, Doughters and whatnot. They still see me as an opening batsman, you know, when that that spot comes up, believe that spot comes up. But then yeah, obviously to get into the team at the moment's probably through the middle, the moving parts there. So yeah, look, I've certainly had enough experience through the middle. We had that big India series here at home where I played a few games through the middle. I did it a lot so early in my career with the vis both read red and white ball cricket, and then sort of the start of my TEA twenty career as well.
Speaker 2: So but yeah, I don't I don't want to look into it too much.
Speaker 4: There's obviously areas to work on it, you know, against spin and maybe those those sort of subcontinent conditions. But yeah, I don't want to sort of shy away from the fact that, you know, opening the battings what's got me into the team in the first place. So yeah, yeah, I sort of stick with that and have a play around through the middle if I need to.
Speaker 1: And do you sort of not that you'd be somebody to pity yourself, but I mean you look at the Champions Trophy and that sort of tournament ended for you with injury. Then you've got to this T twenty World Cup and you were left out of the last minute. You sort of think to yourself, yea, I wish I could just have a bit of luck come of these ICDC tournaments, so to'd be handy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's been been hard.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I mean every time you get injured, it's it's always a you know, you say you're unlucky and whatnot.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's been a few series that I've missed.
Speaker 4: I would have been really keen to playing the one over in in Jamaica there, but I missed that through injury.
Speaker 2: I think got in my side or something something my rib.
Speaker 4: Yeah there's been you know, I missed missed PSL tournament, you know, earlier last year, which would have been nice to sort of playing the conditions over there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just been a bit a little bit frustrating with injury and not getting that exposure that I probably could have had throughout the year, so you know, which ultimately gave them the you know, we haven't seen you enough through the middle, or we haven't I haven't seen you performed well enough against spin or whatnot. So yeah, it would have been nice to get those sort of decent blocks of games for Australia, but yeah, injury has would have gotten the way a little bit.
Speaker 2: But here that's sort of is what it is. You can't really control that too much.
Speaker 1: And have you been watching the T twenty World Cup or have you been completely just checked out of it and not not even checking the scores.
Speaker 2: I certainly checked the scores.
Speaker 4: I haven't didn't go far enough to sign up to Prime or Amazon whatever it was. But no, to be honest, I was pretty shattered when I when I got the news and when I got home, and you know, I just needed to need to get away from a little bit and talk to my people and work out ways to move forward and you know what needs to be done to to get back in there. So yeah, kind of put the World Cup aside and yeah, pretty much moved on to what was next, and that was playing Shield cricket.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's all you have to do.
Speaker 4: That's probably lucky enough that I had extra cricket to go back to, but yeah, that was probably what kept me doing I.
Speaker 1: Suppose Now, obviously the Shield will be your focus for the next little bit. But what do you have coming up later in the year that we can look out for. I think there's an IPL in there, and you've played MLC in the past.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've only got the one one Shield game to go this week and then I'll I'll head over to India for the i PL. I play with Chennai there and again use that block as a not a like I want to head over there obviously to play into to win games and do well, but use it as a really good experience to bat over those conditions and and you know, do a heap of training and playing you know, the versing spin and whatnot.
Speaker 2: I've got, you know, lucky enough to have Mark Causi over there as a batting coach.
Speaker 4: I've been in touch with him a few times, you know, coming up with a plan and sort of ways ways around my game that I can sort of focus on and get better at. So that's been pretty cool. But then there straight to MLC. I suppose after that, hopefully a couple of Aussie series here and there if they go ahead. But they've got the hundred Action coming up, which would be cool. Oh yeah, to head to England, that's always a cool pump. But yeah, sort of see what happens about. Yeah, there's always something going on that's great.
Speaker 2: Excellent. Well, Shorty, thank you much, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 1: Great to chat with you all the best this week for the Vix and then yeah, the IPS that that's going to be great fun. We hope hopefully to get to see you out in the middle for the Super Kings. Appreciate it, looking forward to it. What is something going on that's great excellent? Well, Shorty, thank you much, thank you so much for your time. Great to chat with you all the best this week for the Vix and then yeah, the IPS that that's going to be great fun. We hope hopefully to get to see you out in the middle for the Super Kings.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: So great to hear from Matt Short, very candid, very open and honest there, so we very much thank him for his time there. He obviously said he was devastated or shatted to miss out on that T twenty World Cup, as you would be. And yeah, now he has a chance to go back and look at his game and say, well, do I want to really focus in on being a potential and middle order international player or he said he wants to stay at the top and do his thing for the Strikers, and that's where he's had all of his success, So that makes sense. But then I also found it interesting how he said there maybe he wants to also consider where his priorities lay and we might seem a bit more on the red ball stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, it's an interesting one. He's a by design, a casualty of opening the batting purely in the big bash. And again you said his success has been because of that, but also now it probably makes him and with Steve Smith the same Yeah, in the same basket where when you get pigeonholed as you can only open the batting and be successful. Then it does make you easier to be pushed aside for someone who does have adaptability. So I don't know going forward. We seem to have this all the time with our T twenty team, but all the batters when they go back to the big batch open the batting and do really well like Marcus Steinis did it. He doesn't now, but such a long period of time for the Stars was open to the batting would get pick to go away for shame with bat six. So I think for adaptability purposes, like what Matt Rencha has done, it feels like anyone can open the batting, but not anyone can be successful. But it is the easiest place to bat, so can for selection purposes if you want to play for Australia that more middle order. He's got all strengths with his bow in terms of bowls, part time, spin and field so well. So there is more to it than that. But can he show more to his ability to bat anywhere in the order because he has been thrown in at six for Australia and it's so foreign to him. So he did start his career at the Strikers. I remember playing his first game for the Strikers. He was batting middle order. He made sixty or fifty balls and he was a young kid, so he can do it. So that's probably something as you say, he's got a look at moving forward. But also the rebel stuff. Chris Rogers said, he's you know, a chance to play for a shower in Test cricket. I don't know if that's wrong or right, but you know there's a player there as well, so he definitely. Yeah, I guess it's going to be a big off season for him. He's got IPOL so he's in dependent franchise cricket around the world. But yeah, it's going to be an interesting time for him going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean his Sheffieldshire numbers are good.
Speaker 1: I think he averages more than forty over the past few seasons, so he's definitely got that talent there. And I mean the IPL looks like a great opportunity for him. If he does manage to get a game for the Chennai Super Kings, then obviously they're the conditions that the selector's one to see more of him in. And yeah, as he sort of touched on in that chat, under the guidance of Steven Fleming and Mike Hussy, two pretty good players or former players to give him some guidance on how to conquer those conditions.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and whether or not he's playing, yeah, a training that's going to be the best time to practice those things as well. He's also in that weird basket where I know full well when you're living in a place where you're not playing your cricket, he's going to as you get older, he's got a young kid. It actually does weigh into your decision making and things. It does it becomes harder to keep up with things if you don't really want to keep up with them. So, as you say, with all this red bull, white ball, you know all this stuff, he's got a really big decision to make. I think going forward, where you live on the Gold Coast, play for Victoria, but if your heart's not really in it, very quickly you can you can fall back and not want to do it. So, as we say, the IPL is going to be great for his upskilling, but also going forward, you'll know pretty shortly what he wants to do with with this cricket going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he mentioned family a couple of times in there as well, So it's obviously playing on his mind. One thing that maybe brought back some demons for you hearing was that selection chat, getting caught in to select a Tony dotta Made's room and having the coach there as well. Did that bring back any bad memories for you being dropped or left out or unexpectedly not in the eleven.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been dropped well like anyone has, but lots, but never I'd never been dropped just before a World Cup or anything like that. I always I was ready for it never happened in that way. I do remember one where I went to an ODI tour to India. Five games, we got thumped, we didn't have our best team but actually did pretty well. And there was a home One Day series maybe a month later that I got dropped for, and I got dropped for guys who did well in the One Day Cup domestic that was on whilst we were playing in India. So I remember that sticking out and I was like, well, so I just did well against India in their own backyard against Coali ish Arma, you know, the goats, but you've picked guys who did well in the domestic cup at that stage that was getting played in Sydney on like suburban ground. So everyone's got their selection. You know, cricketers love talking about selection how unlucky we were, But that was one that stuck out to me that I didn't get sat in a room with the coach and the selector was over the phone.
Speaker 2: But maybe worse.
Speaker 3: Well, domestic wickets they're worth, they're worth their weight in gold, and we won our domestic cricket to mean something. But I felt like that was probably not on the same scale of weight. So but yeah, there's been plenty. I remember getting picked for a World Cup in Jai. Unfortunately didn't make the Cup for England. So I was the Matte rencher in that situation where oh yeah, literally the plane was leaving the day later and I got the call, so.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it's good and bad to every story. I guess that was twenty nineteen. Yeah, yeah, OK.
Speaker 3: In hindsight, Hazelwood was ready to go as well and didn't get picked. So I'll we live with it.
Speaker 2: Now. You got to take the good with the bad, don't you.
Speaker 1: Let's go around the grounds end and we did touch on the T twenty World Cup right at the start, so we've got South Africa taking on New Zealand in Kolkata. That's on Wednesday night, so we'll get the results Thursday morning, or maybe if you're staying up through the night.
Speaker 2: You'll get it live.
Speaker 1: And then India and then England they play on Thursday night in Mumbai, and of course i'd be Friday morning when we're waking up to those. South Africa are still unbeaten. They've looked fantastic, the Kiwi's, I mean, they're doing nothing wrong, are they, But it's going to be very tough to be South Africa. They managed to push you aside Zimbabwe in the last game, even though they'd left out Robata, Yanson and Maharaj.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've done everything right. They've embraced being one of the best teams, I think, which is not something they're used to in these kind of World Cups. So they've yeah, in the last two twenty World Cup and now this with the World Test Championship, they've kind of started to prove themselves in the international stage, cold cutter conditions. So that's going to play into it. And you say New Zealand haven't done much wrong, they actually were pretty lucky to make it through though when they with the groups in terms of the table of that for sure, with England being such a runaway that everyone's fighting for second and they were lucky enough to get there.
Speaker 2: But just net run rate.
Speaker 3: And you can never discount them again, they always just seem to punch above, so especially when it comes to the business end. So yeah, again two massive games. Is the final in a Metabad.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, memories there for India, aren't.
Speaker 1: They definitely in this tournament and twenty twenty three World Cup.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if the SAMI was going to be there and if they changed that last minute to one moir. So yeah again, So Africa, look, they if they if they do beat New Zealand like sounds like we all expect, then they could be favorites. Adam met Abaud with the history of that India have had. Yeah, I'm just purely speculating here, but you look at yeah, the two big games they've lost there in the last few years, so Africa would be.
Speaker 1: No, it's a good point and also because India will get there with such great expectation on them if assuming they knock have England, which I'm not sure that they're guaranteed to do as Pommei and Bangalo said, the England really haven't hit their straps yet and they've still made it all the way through. But yeah, I reckon given that South Africa they look so confident in their game, they could go into that match potentially his favorites, but with the lesser expectation on them. So that's sort of maybe a perfect situation.
Speaker 3: Well, it's similar to the twenty three World Cup, isn't it. I remember we flew in that day for that T twenty series that was afterwards that's stupid T twenty series. But we landed the day of the final and everyone in the airport was like, you're going to lose, basically like India at home final Metabad. The crowd's going to be too much and we didn't know at the time, but again, when there's that much expectation that it's just going to it's a foegone conclusion. You're playing against really proud, skillful, great cricketing nations that are confident in their own change room, then anything can happen. So and again, as you say about England, most of those guys play IPL so they're so well tuned to the conditions. Will Jackson is having what a World Cup he's had. He's basically the standout player for them. But also you go through their order, everyone plays ipl they have done for the last decade. They're well in demand in franchise crete, they know T twenty crickets so well. So it isn't going to be the easy semi final that India will probably hope for. And then again, if you get through England and you've got this beast in So Africa waiting, so yeah, it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: And big crowds aren't a factor either. I mean, we know India so used to it, but given how much of the South African team and the English team play in l in front of these huge crowds, well I don't think that's really going to be a factor either. So yeah, it's going to be great to watch. One thing that really does annoy me about the Amedabad situation. I was lucky enough to go there in twenty twenty three. I've seen it firsthand. Everybody says, oh, it's got one hundred and twenty thousand seats.
Speaker 2: That's just not correct.
Speaker 1: If you go on to their website, the Amedabad Stadium website in Nearendromodi Stadium. It says that they've got about ninety thousand seats. They got one hundred and twenty thousand in there that day because Trump was a special guest, and then they had people on the field and so they got an extra twenty or thirty. But there's not one hundred and twenty thousand people in the ground for a for a cricket match. So I just want to get that on the record. I'm not sure it's any bigger than the MCJ either, So a bit of Ossie pride there maybe, but yeah, there's a bit of maybe exaggeration that goes on with they're reporting there.
Speaker 3: I reckon, Well, mcg is a big playing surface, so maybe we can say MCG holds one hundred.
Speaker 2: I reckon, that's speak it good.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: So for the record, that doesn't count. If people are standing on the field, that doesn't count. If you can get sixty thousand people standing on the grass.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean when we're counting attendances, is all.
Speaker 3: Same, yeah exactly, So yeah, you're right. I think it's a good point. I actually haven't played there, but again, like you said, the big crowd factor isn't what it used to be because again the IPO all these guys playing there, but they also play in front of big crowds in there, not ninety or one hundred and twenty thousand, but they play their domestic T twenty franchise leagues now a massive thing. So if anything, the bigger the crowd, the batter because it gives you guys a bigger showcase to put on their skills and show how good they really are.
Speaker 1: And how much desire would there be for this Africans knowing how close they came two years ago to one to get that title. I mean, yes, they've had that World Test Championship victory, a few of them, but a few of them you're David Miller's and your Quentin the Cox, Well they weren't there for that, So there must be that desire to finally get that piece of silverwere and then they can tick it off and be done with that monkey on the back.
Speaker 3: Well absolutely, I think that without knowing for sure, but that would be to put yourself in such a strong position after the disappointment of that last edition. Is that's hard to do. Like, it's obviously what every team wants, but to them back up in such emphatic styles to this point now it kind of means nothing, but I'm no doubt at all that, like you said, some of the great cricketers of South Africa, especially in white ball, haven't ticked off a trophy, So no doubt whatsoever. That's driving and going forward and they've done everything right.
Speaker 1: Heading across to the women's side of things, Australia clean swept India in the ODI series, which means they've wrapped up that multi format series as well with the Test match still to play. They were absolutely dominant in this series. And I must say after watching that T twenty series which India one two to one, I did think, oh wow, is this maybe we've got a bit of a changing of the guard in Australia. Could this be the time that we see Australia finally lose on home soil?
Speaker 2: Not the case. They came back.
Speaker 1: They showed fifty overs is probably their strongest format has been for a long time. And yeah, absolutely smashed them the other night, didn't they four hundred plus? As you touched on Alyssa Heale, Beth Moone, you're getting in another century And yeah, it was a total dominant display by the Aussie girls was.
Speaker 3: I think you're right in thinking that just with you Alyssa's time coming to an end, but also as they start to progress and get older, what's coming through. I know we've talked about breakout plays and stuff, but you never know if that's going to translate to the international stage. And it's going to be interesting as they go to their next tour pretty much straight away after they wrap up this home summer, so there is going to be a transition period with obviously the new captain coming in in Sofa. She's dealing with her own injury trouble, so she's fine for that. But yeah, I think there's enough in the cupboard still that they're going to be They're going to be fine, And just with the coaching and the structures they have set up in this country with girls cricket and the grassroots, the pathways and stuff, I think I think there's some good times on the horizon still.
Speaker 1: Definitely, we saw a debut for teenager Lucy Hamilton as well in that third game. She rolled out in number fifty five, Oh nice, which was of course famously worn by famously by yourself, Yes, and that did get Mitch Stark commenting actually on the broadcast and your name was mentioned and he, yeah, gave you a bit.
Speaker 3: Is that why because of the number? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, really Lucy? Did she ask permission to didn't wear the fifty five.
Speaker 3: There's not a strong lineage of fifty fives in Australian white bool cricket. I think Ben Loughlin was before me. Yep, I actually changed my number two fifty five. Oh yeah, so you've had two. I was forty seven to begin with, which wasn't my choice, but there wasn't much available, so and yeah, there is this thing in Australian cricket you are meant to ask the previous owner of that number, and forty seven no one had worn, so I just got given that. I think it was my domestic number again, and I want to fifty five. I took it without telling Ben Laughlin and he hadn't played for Trey. It's meant to be a two year I think it's two year period. It was over two years i'd played b Ben at Adelaide. I thought he was never played for again. He thought he was a good chance. He messaged me on that tour. I left it on red never got back to him. So sorry, Ben, now we're getting stuff on the record. Apologies Ben for not asking you for fifty five, but Lucy didn't. She didn't need to. I'm more than happy for fifty such a good number. Take it.
Speaker 1: Why did you want it so badly? Because Ben was so good in it?
Speaker 3: Or you know it's I don't know if this is well known, but Kenny Powers, the fictional baseball character he's bound it out. It's a show. He's like an old pitcher who Yeah, it's a story, but his number was fifty five, and when I watched his show as a twenty year older, I was like, that's my hero. For those who know, Kenny Bowers was my inspiration for number fifty five. But it is a strong cricketing number. Ben Stokes, Koren Pollard, Yeah, yeah, there you go. Players keep and I are.
Speaker 1: And now Lucy Hamilton, there's every chance she'll be the best of the lot we've seen from her so far.
Speaker 2: Chance. Okay, let's let's talk about some Shefford Shield.
Speaker 1: We do have Jake Cleban coming up to talk about being Domestic Cricketer of the Year and also making a move to play for Hampshire full time. So stick around for that, but firstly, we've only got two rounds of the Shield to come rich oh and although the Victoria have locked in their spot in the final, there are really a couple of teams who could make it as well. So we've got Queensland and South Australia are in second and third, and then mathematically Tasmania and New South Wales can still make it as well from fourth and fifth, so it's a nice way to finish the season. This week it's Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia's and New South Wales and then Queen's Antique on w A. It all starts on Thursday, live streams on Cricket dot Com.
Speaker 2: That are you in the c LA app?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a big round, four teams for one spot. It probably is going to be after this round you're going to know, really, aren't we? And there's always results like the draws kind of gone unless there's raining a round. I feel like every every game is a result in three days now, so yeah, we'll get a good idea. I think I feel like Queensland are in the box seat just the way they're playing. They've got w A this week. We have struggled this year again, so I feel like it is a queens and spot to lose. But then s a he just can never never counted me out, my old my old fellas. So yeah, with Kerry back, New South Wales have they have they named their squad if we spoke about it last week for the One Day Cup. You just never know who's going to go rather the Winter or the World Cup. Allies that they put on as they flew back, you never know. Well, Sean but will be back for them, so they'll be strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Travis header will be back for Travis Head.
Speaker 3: I was going to mention his name, but you just never know with him. So whether he's got like some golf appearance on him, oh of course, somewhere in the world. He's got a hole in one to think, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can drain puts from forty feet so you can do anything.
Speaker 3: You just never know. But also with the management of those guys, that's such a big summer with the Ashes and the World Cup, so hopefully there is as many of those guys back playing as possible.
Speaker 1: With Victoria locked in, Scott Boland is obviously so key for them. The word was when he returned after the Ashes that he would probably play the final three matches of the season. Now though, are you thinking Q and the rack for someone like him? He's just so important for you.
Speaker 3: He also played five tests indn' he of the Ashes, so you don't need thirty six. It needs to be a management plan. It would be nice for him to play every game, but I don't think they need him to maybe play this one and have Round ten often and keep him in Melbourne and get him ready for what it is a massive game for them, So I would know better than us, but I would dare say you can miss a game count.
Speaker 1: He's probably he's not going to lose form off missing one round.
Speaker 3: I think you could miss a year and get out of bed without bowling and still just running the top of off, you know, one hundred and twenty times in a day and not lose any pace. So yeah, give him a game off.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: So Queensland they have a zero point nine to five point buffer, so less than one point over South Australia. We've got the full run home rundown on cricket dot Com DoD a use if you want to see where every state is landing ahead of Thursday's round nine. Get on there and check it out. Let's have a quick word from our sponsors. Then when we come back we'll hear from Jake Lehman. Join now on the Unplayable Podcast by the Men's Domestic Cricketer of the Year Jake Leman. Welcome to the podcast mate. How's it all going over there in Adelaide.
Speaker 2: No, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: It's it's an enjoyable time in adelade at the moment and some good cricket to hopefully finish the year.
Speaker 1: Was it a surprise to be named the Domestic Cricketer of the Year.
Speaker 5: I knew that I had had a pretty good calendar year overall, but yeah, I guess when it's voted by your peers and people that you play against and probably some of the players that I look up to too along the way as well. To get the recognition over some other players that magnificent years as well is probably something special at all look back on.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I was looking through your stats and six of your fifteen Sheffield Chield hundreds have come in the past two seasons, so it's been a real goal and run. What do you sort of put that down to? Is something changed or is something clicked that wasn't there before.
Speaker 5: I just think there's a multiple, like a multiple things that have kind of come together. I think, you know, Ryan Harrison taking over as coach has probably freed me up and probably gave me a few home trills about what to do, probably a slight changing technique with Stevens others and a few other batting coaches around how I want to play my cricket and then probably lastly just going back to enjoying it and you know, playing cricket for the right reason, right reason and just trying to enjoy every moment and every game and try and do the right thing for the team and play for you with a smile on my face, which has been highly enjoyable. And you know it's probably come with a few wins along the way. And last year was awesome for South Australia. So yeah, a combination of things, but yeah, it's all kind of trended in the right direction late in my career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: Would you say that there was a period there where you just weren't enjoying cricketer? Is that sort of maybe why you've been able to recognize that you really are enjoying it now.
Speaker 5: I just think at times, you know, I think throughout my career at Soustralia, we probably rode some highs pretty early when I was younger and didn't quite get an overall win, and there was some low lows I think as a team and trying to lead players through that period and trying to come out the other side of that.
Speaker 2: Probably I wouldn't say that I love cricket.
Speaker 5: I will always love cricket, but probably didn't realize how much of a toll it takes on you mentally to try and stay upbeat and stay positive and you know, try and keep driving that team forward.
Speaker 2: So probably just a few of those.
Speaker 5: Pressures released and you know you're rocking up and training and you're just focusing on yourself and what you have to do to prepare to to play well.
Speaker 2: And I think that's really threwed me up again. Now.
Speaker 1: I'm sure one of your career highlights must have been that sho Would Final last year. You got that century in the first innings and obviously it was a drought breaking victory. Can you take us back to that match? And now that we're nearly a year on, has has it sunk in that you were part of history for your state.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It was an awesome day. You know, it was an awesome year to be honest with you. I think we continue to build it all year and we played probably the best cricket were probably were the best team all year. So it was just one of those rewards for you know a lot of hard work over probably like the three or four years before that, like I was saying, from all the boys and everything just kind of clicked and you know, to see to see Karen Rolton the way it was and to see everyone rock up and you know give back to South Australian cricket for what's given us over the last little beer. That was probably the proudest moment from me saying all the family and friends and all the staff and the background and you know, all the past players that have tried their best to over this period of time to recreate that.
Speaker 2: So just the whole area of it was awesome.
Speaker 5: And you know at the moment, you know, we've just kind of missed out on the one day final making that, so you know that's the probably first kicking teef we've kind of as a team and probably driving us in these last couple of rounds to try and put some really good performance on the board and make sure we're playing in that Shield final against Victoria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean a century in a winning Shield final though. That's the stuff of dreams, isn't it. Is that as good as it gets in terms of being a domestic player.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's one thing I always get compared to my old man, so I'm happy to bring this one up.
Speaker 2: But I don't think he has one of them.
Speaker 5: So you know, there's not many things that I that I can beat him at statistically wise, but that's one of them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was just awesome.
Speaker 5: I think the game situation and where the game was heading, and you know, the form leading and I'd probably been consistently doing that in those situations, so to do it in you know, the Shefferdsfield Final of all places, is something that you can look back on and go like, you know, I was ready and I performed in you know, one of the toughest, high pressure games.
Speaker 2: That's brilliant. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now we heard a month or so ago that you're going to be taking up a contract with Hampshire as a local player. I believe you've got a British passport, So can you talk us through how that deal sort of came about and what it means for your cricket now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's an opportunity that we've been probably looking at for the last couple of years and just trying to explore the opportunity for me to continue to play cricket and continue to branch out and try new things.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, my mum was.
Speaker 5: Actually fully British born, She's a British citizen. So I've had the British passport and been over and played for Yorkshire and Lancashire before using the passport. So you know, it was just a cool that kind of came out of the blue, and it was an opportunity that I wanted to jump out and take with both hands.
Speaker 2: And lucky enough that Soccer Soccer.
Speaker 5: Have supported it to be able to come back, can play another year here, and you know, just I just want to keep learning and keep going and keep spreading, spreading my love for the game of cricket.
Speaker 2: Why it's going well. So I'm super excited to get over.
Speaker 5: There and Giles and the staff and all the players over there. I'm excited to make them and hopefully have an impact and make them a better cricket team.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, So I mean, as you said, you've been over there and played before, but this was an approach that they made to you. Was that they put on the table and said come over here and and be a local player for us.
Speaker 5: Yeah we've been, We've been reaching in and seeing if anyone was keen also, So I was definitely a two way street and you know, conversations that probably hadn't previously.
Speaker 2: This probably didn't What.
Speaker 5: The timing wasn't quite right was you know, I've got two young kids and you know the ability to travel over there and all these small little things that come up. So the timing was probably right for me as a player and as a person in my life situation. So yeah, I jumped at it with both hands.
Speaker 2: What do you think you want to achieve from this new role? I suppose Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like I said, I want to make Hampshire a better team first and foremost, and the goal is to keep winning stuff. I think at my age now there you know what drives me is trying to win county championships or the one Days or the Blast or Sheffield Shields. That's kind of what I've turned My focus to is trying to win as many games as I can. And you know, what do you remember players for? And it's probably the players that win stuff probably get recognized the most at the back end of their career once they're gone. So they're the things that I've really tried to achieve and hopefully that's something that I can do.
Speaker 2: And on the flip side of that.
Speaker 5: Hopefully I can learn some stuff that they do over there a little bit different to what I could do, and hopefully I can bring that back here and implement that also and makes southtral a better cricket team when I get bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was going to ask, does this mean that you'll now be playing as an overseas player for South Australia or is that a conversation you've had with the SAKA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would mean that I would have to play as an overseas players.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that looks a little bit different.
Speaker 5: But I know there's a few few players in the past that have done and Mark Cosgrove's done it before. You know, we've had boats do it over here. We've had Charlie Henphy up in Queensland. I think he did it. I think Sam Whiteman's going to do it as well, so it's not uncommon, but it's just probably not as put out there is as much as other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and well you're old man. You mentioned him before, but he'll be coaching over there again again this season, won't he.
Speaker 2: So will you be facing it? Are you in the same division?
Speaker 5: No, they're in Division two and Hampshire and Division one, so I don't think we actually have any scheduled games against them unless we see them in a in a finals game somewhere along the line.
Speaker 1: Okay, no doubt your part will cross at some point, as you touched on New South Wales and Victoria to finish the season for you guys here in the Sheffield Shield, going for back to back, probably going to need to win both of those games. What's the mood around those around the group at the minute in terms of yeah, making that final and taking on the vis in the decider.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like I said, I think the Queensland Shield game for us was a really good step forward, playing some really good cricket and then on the back of that then we we've got that little kicking the taste for not being able to make that one day Final. So the drive is definitely there from the playing group and I feel like hopefully in the last two games we'll have a pretty strong squad with some player availability coming back so from from the World Cup, which which will be awesome to strengthen and hopefully this week is a massive game against New South Wales. You know they're fighting for a spot and they're playing in the One day Final, so that they've got things to prove and you know they're playing some good, strong cricket as well.
Speaker 2: So but the thing is is still probably up to.
Speaker 5: Us and it's on our terms and that's that's one thing that we want to continue going into the last round. We want it to be us needing to win or us needing to get the points that we want. We don't want to rely on any results. So this week is probably massive for us.
Speaker 1: And one of those guys coming back from the World couple we Ben Menenti. How cool is it to see a teammate to go about their business on the world stage. I mean, obviously you've got Travis Head and Alex Carey who do it so much for Australia, but this is a bit of a different one for Italy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, you know, just that just shows you how good cricket can be and how you know a different path to get to the highest level. And the play a T twenty World Cup in India is something that you're probably not going to get to do in March, and for him to do it with his hurry's brother and a couple of his best mates and you know everyone back here we were watching every every game.
Speaker 2: You know, you.
Speaker 5: Probably weren't sure if they're going to win or not, but you know, he went out there and I think he was the most influential impact player of the mine around, so you know, the support was there and it just shows you how you know, if you if you get these opportunities to perform against England, and you know, it would have been.
Speaker 2: Cooled to probably see Italy play Australia.
Speaker 5: That would have been great if heat he was boln ben he was boling a heavy or something that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was just it was.
Speaker 5: Really cool to see and proud of the way that they probably carry themselves.
Speaker 1: Mostly Yeah, absolutely, yeah, they did really well and no doubt we'll see them again. I was just looking back through your record. Obviously you've played for the SAKA for ten years now and ten years ago in your third Shield match a double century against Tasmania. What do you member is like that much? Because yeah, amazing to be to pull off such a big scorer, so really in your career.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a long time ago now, but you know, it was one of those things when you're probably a little bit younger and you're taking things for a little bit of a little bit granted, but I do remember one moment of that game. I think, you know, we're I think we're three for fifty odd and I battered all day with Callen Ferguson. We were getting close to the end of the day and they took the new ball and I think, I think I would have been on one hundred and sixty, one hundred and seventy or something like that, and I started to.
Speaker 2: Get a bit loose and a bit of carry on.
Speaker 5: You know, I thought of done my job, and I just remember further like pure my head, and he goes, we've got something amazing to do here. We get through the night, we get through this new ball. You know, we could boys get double hundreds tomorrow night. You know, it was just one thing that I was like, all right, I'm going to remember that because you know, it was a way that someone else can help you at the other end, help the team, don't expose anyone else that night. You know, all those small little team fundamentals came into that moment. So yeah, that's one thing I do remember of it, and it was a bit of It was a bit of a run fast enough. I think George Bailey got a hundred. I think Ben Dunk got a hundred, but we won. So yeah, it was one of the one of the good wins that we had during that early part of my career.
Speaker 1: Mate, you shouldn't be telling people was a run fast. You should be telling people it was an absolute mindfield and you've got two hundred.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I also wanted to ask because we had Alex Carey. He was on the Big Bash Surge podcast during the Big Bash season and he mentioned his Big Bash debut for the Strikers involved you. You were there in that match and you got the wicked of Shane Watson in that match. I just wanted to get good memories of getting out the Great Wadow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Out of all the stories that I probably tell over my Big Beast journey, it's probably the one that I bring up the most. That's probably the reason is remembered it is because I've probably said it fifty times.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I loved that it was.
Speaker 5: It was at that time I was trying to bowl a little bit more, but my bowling wasn't that great. But I was trying to find a way to contribute to the games in T twenty cricket. And you know the wicket was wasn't that great. I think It's Shorely had got like six for eight.
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 5: It was spinning and I bowl I bowled a pretty bad ball and what I hit it straight up and Benny Carter and Jason Sanger that's come across. He was actually at the Thunder at the time and he reckons it's one of what those biggest bloops that he's ever And yeah, he probably doesn't remember it, but I definitely do.
Speaker 1: Oh mate, that's definitely something to hang your hat on. I mean, forget about winning the Sheffield Jill though, mean you've got Shane Watson out in a big best game.
Speaker 2: So that's it.
Speaker 1: Awesome mate. Well, really appreciate your time. All the best for the rest of the season and good luck over there in England Ham she I hope it goes well and yeah, hopefully you set a new legacy over there in the UK.
Speaker 2: No, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: So the domestic Cricketer of the Year Jake Leman. What a purple patch he's been in. Obviously, there was a lot of talent at the start of his career, as I mentioned to him, a double century in his third match ever.
Speaker 2: But just the last couple of years he's just been on another level.
Speaker 1: I think it was four matches in a row he got a century at the end of last season, including in the final. Talk about big, big game player and peaking at the right time as well. That's so important, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's such an amazing story for his agent. It was halfway through last year. I think he was probably treading water, looking like it was the end of it, to be honest, and he would probably admit that I don't know if you did in that chart. I don't think he did. But and I remember even my time then when I left, I still felt he was you know that guy, he's just on the edge over thirty, not going to play for Australia at this point. It's just such an like it's a famous name in South stra cricket. But I felt like his time was coming and then all of a sudden he's just gone to career best form. So happy because he's one of the great guys in the room, Like he's so universally liked in this Australia wide love like no one has a bad way to say about him. He's a great fellow, great team man, super professional, does everything right. But to also just get a trophy again famous name is South Australian cricket to follow on that lineage of Darren but do it his own way now as well. Like he's he's There's just you can't say too many good things about him because it is such an amazing turnaround to win Domestic Player of the Year. Now have a gig lined up with Hamshare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Thirty three, thirty four, whatevery years. He's in the best nick of his life. So yeah, I don't know what else to say other than he's just it's probably been ten years of really hard graft and on the edge a performance here, performance there. All of a sudden you just shows you can never give up on people because you just never know what's around the corner. So yeah, super proud of him. Is yeah, as I've said, a great fella, one of the great team guys, celebrates everyone's success even if you know he doesn't perform. I remember that two hundred actually as well. I wasn't there, but I remember speaking to George Bailey, I think he was captain of Tasmania and I messaged him that night and I said, like to talk to me and he goes, it's almost as if our bowlers didn't know the cut shot existed. So we bowled there all day and at that stage with Jake Lehman's career, that's literally that's all he had was a cut shot. Yeah, and he hit two hundred runs with a cut shot, and George was just scratching his head thinking it's like these guys just wanted to keep seeing this new shot that had been invented that day, so they kept bowling there. But yeah, I mean he was on the edge of Australian selection. He was spoken about after that. Yeah, he was in Australia a selection as a young early twenties kid. And then, as I said, that kind of dip came and then he was treading water. So yeah, amazing story.
Speaker 1: And the cuts shot still a strength of him, yeah, of course, but.
Speaker 3: Well and talking about that though, like it's funny because he's it's still such a strong sholt of his and guys, I remember when we'd come up against Victoria, we'd have Head and Leman in the middle order and they would literally bowl cut shots but put it was like the old Damian Martin field where you bowled his strength, but put all the field in there. Put in. They put in like four slips, two gullies catching point deep point, So they're like, if you want to play it, you might get a single for it. We also think you're gonna nick it. So it's amazing, like you can have success now as you get older and everyone knows your game that well. But he's almost evolved. He's added again upskill just out of different areas. He's never going to lose a cut shot as a strength. But it just shows like I don't know, people can plan for you for so long and I think they've got it all worked out, there's still ways you can get better and keep performing well.
Speaker 1: David Seka, who was bowling coach of England during the Ashes, he actually mentioned that plan that they had the vis back in the data Travis hid and they tried it a bit during the Ashes series.
Speaker 2: Might work out so well.
Speaker 3: With mysteries, better now than when he was that young South Australian captain because they played on ego a bit as well, and again we were a young group and Heeddy was like a twenty two year old captain who wasn't thinking a lot and probably still doesn't. But after probably ten balls of Scott Bowland bowling it out there, he just would chase one in nick it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I guess that's probably why it becomes such a good player now, is those those domestic battles against Cam White, who's such an amazing cricket brain, you know, going through that stuff again, he's preparing these guys for future success and that's again showed in Limo and Hetty's case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Limo talked about, you know, falling out of love of the game a bit there as well, which is totally understandable when you're not making runs and South Australia weren't winning a lot of games in the Shield through that period either, So great to see him come back and obviously rEFInd that love and then under Bryan Harris's leadership. They've become a real force again. So things can turn around very quickly in this game.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I think the other thing he dealt with he was the older guy where before I left, But then after that, you know, Chad Say has left, Joe Mani, Tom Cooper, Callum Ferguson probably missing someone in there. But Adam Zamper so a lot of older guys that he was mates with and friends with Ashley left and all of a sudden he was hanging out with really young guys Alex Cary, who they're really good mates, but he was off playing for austral All of a sudden, it can become quite a foreign place. You've got all these guys coming from into state. So saying he fell out of love with the game isn't surprising because it probably didn't feel like the change room that he used to be in. All of a sudden, you've got these new guys coming in. But then all of a sudden you grow with that. Alex Cary comes back, you're in a shill final, new coach comes in that you love. So yeah, it's a great story of perseverance and again, as I said, a great team man so well deserved.
Speaker 1: And now he's going to have to play as an overseas player, yeah for his home state, which must be such a weird situation to be in. But he's signed a two year deal with Hampshire to play as a local player. As he touched on, his mother is British and passport, so that's a fun, new, exciting opportunity. I mean, Jacob thirty four in in June or July in mid this year, so I guess he's thinking about his future and setting himself up for his family. And we've also heard that Sam Weiman is going to do the same thing, so maybe it's something that will start to see a bit more of from the AUSSI guys.
Speaker 3: What's a good option to have If you have the option, like we just saw ben an Ency go play a World Cup for Italy, So if you've got the option with a passport to go play more cricket, and it's not like, guys, they're going to look at them differently in the change room and they come back because they're an overseas player. Maybe they should have to wear an armband or like a different colored number as like an Alpha status, but a different helmet, different helmet. Yeah, they got to wear their county helmet, but put some tape over it or something. But it's they're going to be welcome back. It's no one cares that they're an overseas player.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like so to get the option to go play county cricket. His dad's got such a strong history in the county game. Guys used to do it all the time, didn't they back in that era where they'd go over there and make a thousand runs every every winter. So it's almost nice that we're seeing guys do that again more. And then also to have overseas players come back and play Shield cricket because that used to be a more common thing that it is now. We haven't had an overseas playing the Shield for a long time. So yeah, more cricket the battle.
Speaker 1: I know that the English fans aren't super happy with the situation that we have that it seems like the Aussies can go over freely and then when an English play wants to come over here and play, it's a lot of a harder process to work out. But you know that's we've only got six states, so it's not like we've got heaps of spots to fill over here.
Speaker 3: But still if Joe Root rang Queensland tomorrow, it's like, I want to come play Shield next year. Do you think they're going to say no?
Speaker 2: They'd make it work.
Speaker 3: They'd make it work. So I know Jake Gleaman and Sam Wyman aren't Joe Rude, but it's still at that point. If someone's going to want to come and make your team better and it's going to help their development but also going to help the players around so it's benefit for everyone, then I'm sure people would listen. So like Andy Flower used to do it for the South Australia. Remember Unis cahn't did it?
Speaker 2: Did you play with Unice?
Speaker 3: I didn't play with him, but I was training and the things guys learned from him at training, like that's the valuable experience that you draw from that and we see it all the time in the Big Bash. So that argument doesn't really apply to T twenty cricket, but it does for Fordy cricket. I don't think it should because it makes people better and I'm sure Jake part of his deal is that when he goes to Hampshire he's got a bit of a duty to you know, the young kids coming through at Hampshire. He's going to help you, provide them with opportunities to get better as well.
Speaker 2: So this is how to play the cut shot.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, maybe they haven't discovered the cut shot like Tasmania hadn't that day. So I think this benefit for everyone. So I think those people that get their nose out of joints probably not right.
Speaker 1: So, as we touched on the Big Four, this week is going to be part time bowlers, part time balls who should be bowling more. That's the general theme of today's because we saw Alissa Healey bowl. I think we've seen her bowling enough and Jake Lemon. We also spoken about that famous wicket in the Big Bash getting out Shane Watson. I mean, if you're only going to get one wicket, you may as well pretty good by someone like So I will take it away this week. I'm sure you've got your own thoughts, but you did it last week. So I'll start off with my four and I'll just put out there on the record. I think a lot of people might say Matt Renshaw, Travis Head, those sort of guys. I think we're seeing the ball about the right amount I reckon. Nathan McSweeney is someone who's under bold. He always seems to get wickets when he bowls with his right arm off spin, so I like him. Campbell Callaway is someone we might see a bit more of in the future left arm spin. I like what I've seen from him so far, and I mean, Victoria have so many options with the ball, so he's not getting much of a look at, but there's something there. There's something there. I found it hard to find meny on the women's side of things, just because they've got so many great all rounders and you know if you're an all rounder, you're going to be a part timer. But one who came to mind was act captain Carli Leeson. Now, she is a very good medium pace bowler and would be considered all round it but she started to bowl leg spin as well right this season. So when we saw her play Queensland earlier in the year, she would bowl leg spin to the right handers and bowl meeting pace to the left hand very manusay bit manus bit bow Webster webster. So I want to see more of Carlie bowl the leg spin because there's definite potential there and we love a leg spin. And then my final one going back a few years Mike Cussie another one. Yeah, medium paces like his Test wickets include Sanga Kara and I think maybe Teller Cratney Dilshan as well, so he definitely had potential. Didn't bowl a lot, but I reckon he could get it in the right spot. So that's my big four.
Speaker 3: What was Kumara on that day? He's on a few, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have to check it out, but I did like his technique he discrediting.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, he's still got I've never got him out so it still counts.
Speaker 2: It counts. Yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: Used to love it when Ponting would bowl Damian Mahn. Yeah, it almost feel like there should be a little how do we get them bowling more because you know it is people probably disagree.
Speaker 1: The crowd goes up though when man gets.
Speaker 3: Thrown maybe yeah, I guess so. I think it's more like when you heap.
Speaker 2: Was a lot. Especially now these captains.
Speaker 3: All the time, it's like bowling first change. It's more those those guys who was like once every three years you've seen Bolt especially, I think it's more you never see guys bowld medium pace, but that a part times, It's true. Yeah, so you have a median pace part time is yeah, like you're hussy. Yeah, it is pretty rare.
Speaker 2: So did you have any others to mention that.
Speaker 3: Hoddy Wade was a good part time media?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Bold good bouncers hate facing him with the nets.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 1: The speaker and said he was one hundred and thirty? Was he genuinely always had a bit.
Speaker 2: Of mayo on that. Was that in the game in the top at one thirty in the test match?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. Adrenaline he's like that little bulldog. That's incredible. A bit of adrenaline. Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. Nick Maddison was under has been under used for years, even for the thunder this year. I was like he should be bowling, like I've had fifteen spinners. But he always got There were times at the Renegades when we were at our lowest lowest where I would bowl the first Sojo Sergio and he'd come to me and said, who about the second? I was like, I think you should so sorry to the other boys that were playing, but he got it done.
Speaker 1: But you're also at your lowest there, but you're also at your higher so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean, like we Yeah, there was a young team. Give it to an experienced guy, Cam Green in twenty twenty Internationals part time.
Speaker 2: He doesn't bowl at all, really does he?
Speaker 3: And then all timers Marcus North Oh wow, okay, someone in caddag yep, cat yeah put it easily been a front liner.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember facing him in Sheil Cricket early on. I was petrified.
Speaker 2: Right left arm legs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also just the demeanor of the man. He was captain of new so far as angry.
Speaker 2: He would have been fierce and.
Speaker 3: He was bowling because the bowlers weren't getting it done. So Tom Cooper was another one actually bbl oh yeah, take the first over for a lots would bowl the first over and had a real good knack of getting a wicket like a Brendan McCallum, like a big wicket. He'd go one for none or none for three or and wouldn't bowler fans. But that was some of the names I had just in case you didn't get him. But I reckon it's a pretty good list.
Speaker 1: That's good, okay, Well, well, were keen to hear our listeners. It's best part timers as well. I had one Overseasar as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe Route, Yeah I had him here too.
Speaker 2: He should have barred more.
Speaker 1: And as just absolute he's a really good bowler and probably England's best spinner at the minute.
Speaker 2: So I'm not sure what they were thinking there, but.
Speaker 3: I do wonder if I always put myself in this situation. If I was a really great batsman and the bowlers weren't getting it done, I'd be like, I'm not bowling because you're That's like me having about three because you guys can't make runs. Like that's kind Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. I do, like it shouldn't be to your like you know, it's hard.
Speaker 3: I'm facing Mitchell Stark all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe the backs.
Speaker 3: Last thing I need to be doing ten to fifteen. I's a part of that. But I don't know the personality you probably wanted to.
Speaker 1: Bow There aren't too many batters though who don't love to get the ball.
Speaker 2: Surely, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Reckon it's one of those things. They say that and then they have to start bowling and they're like, this is why I put so much time into my batting and never practice bowling in the nets or at training. So yeah, I think it's one of those things that sounds good to say, but it's.
Speaker 1: Pretty good list send them into podcasts at cricket dot com dot au if you've got some more, And yeah, we might read out some of the best options next week as well on the show.
Speaker 3: So that'll just about do us for this week. I reckon rich Od pretty good. It's almost like rain break in the cricket that we're just finding content.
Speaker 2: Were we Oh, pretty good?
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Do we want to lock in who's going to win those semi finals so we can come back to it next week?
Speaker 2: You go, I'm going to say South Africa.
Speaker 3: England, I'm going to have to say the same.
Speaker 2: Really, no India.
Speaker 3: Then I just feel like the way of expectation, it probably will come back egg on our face. But I feel like England just they're quietly somehow we don't like it, but they're going under the radar and I feel like they're peaking.
Speaker 2: It's not often that we're in a grains so you.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe you should change my answer there.
Speaker 1: You can lock in whatever you want no, I'll go the same right, good stuff, See you next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks Josh,