Speaker 1: The pickup, Laura, come on hello everyone, like girls?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 3: Maybe Tuesday, fam Tuesday.
Speaker 1: I Ah, for one, can't wait. I'll do the show and I'll be happy doing it, but I can't wait to get home and binge. Yellowstone Part two.
Speaker 4: I knew you were going to say that, really, because I feel the same.
Speaker 5: I've never seen it. Is it really that great?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Laura? You love it?
Speaker 5: How many series are there that I need to catch up?
Speaker 1: Currently? This is season five, but it's they've done season five and two parts and it's a big drama because part one had Kevin Costner, who's been the star since the beginning, but he's now gone. He's not in the show anymore. So Part two today is the first Yellowstone without him.
Speaker 4: Which is huge for people that are like really living in Yellowstone in their brain, Like it's a really big change.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean they just killed off the main character, did they? Or we don't know? He's dead. I don't know anything. I haven't seen it. It's not a spoiler. How did you see it?
Speaker 1: Well, they shouldn't shot in the head.
Speaker 5: Did he go on holidays? And he hasn't come back yet? Like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Zone's a big park. Maybe he just went on a hike and maybe he'll come back. Maybe the whole season is the She's not dead, He's not dead. All right.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm looking forward to the updates tomorrow, match because you had been talking about it all day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, part two of season five of the brand new Stand original series Yellowstone now streaming only on Stand Go watch at tap. Welcome to the show everyone. Oh, we have an update on the under sixteen internet bands today, we do.
Speaker 7: We were speaking about it all yesterday. I feel like half of Australia is talking about it at the moment. The big legislation change that's come in to ben sixteen or kids up until the age of sixteen from using social media. Now it sounds like a really great thing, but there were a lot of people who have come out saying that actually they feel differently about it and that sixteen is just simply too old. So we have a child expert joining us next to give us her thoughts on this as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exciting plus right away after the break, I will explain to you how I think I have an ATO taken out against me A two yeah.
Speaker 5: From the tax office an a v O. Yeah, yeah, you mean.
Speaker 3: I was like, what's an at that's.
Speaker 5: He's asking you as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's that's the fraudy and sleep and a v O. I embarrassed myself in front of someone and then not happy. I'll tell that.
Speaker 5: Story by saying, ato, I've embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Myself clearly quite a bit. I want to go watch Yellowstone. It's the pick up girls. You don't know this story. I've been saving it to tell you on the air because I will only ever tell it once, because the embarrassment that exudes from my pause when I speak into existence what happened to me on the weekend is too much to handle.
Speaker 7: You don't have to tell it. You're like, it's okay to keep some things to yourself.
Speaker 5: Tell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's gonna be boring.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, we need to sacrifice something.
Speaker 1: So I was at lunch a friend of mine had her thirtieth birthday, and there was a bunch of people that it was a birthday party, and I was talking to this woman at length for like a good forty five minutes. You know, when you're really locking with someone you connect at a party and you're kind of stand there next to the cheeseboard you're pumping cheese, you're taking drinks, you're talking, and you're like, I like this person called a conversation. Yeah it is, yeah, yeah, but a good one, you know. And I felt a connection with this woman. And then she goes, you know, I'm going to go outside into the sun, and I'm okay, well you had out. But the whole time we were talking, I noticed she had some cheese on her chin and it looked like maybe like a I don't know, like a little sliver of an almond or like it was like long and narrow, and I was like, oh, it's a bit of cheese or a bit of like, I don't know, cracker like it.
Speaker 7: Which is also it's so distracting when you're talking to someone and you know they've got something on their face because you're trying to I mean, we've had this discussion before. I never tell people you're trying to bude your time, as in like should I tell them now?
Speaker 5: Should I interrupt their stories to say, hey, sorry, you've got something on your face.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well I didn't let it. I let it go. And then she said I'm going to go out, and I thought, well, should be in the direct sunlight? You know this is gonna be blaring on her face. I don't want someone else to be like, oh, you've got food on your face. You're weirdo. So I went, hey, before you go, you've got something on your chin, and she went, oh do I Oh yeah, he got some food on your chin. I got your girlfriend, you know, like you know gay man woman. I'm like, yeah, yeah for you. Oh yeah, I got your bear protect you. You know, I've got your chin. Yeah. Kind of dabs her chin and then it doesn't come off, and I'm like, no, just down a bit. And then she rubs her chin again, and she kind of rubs over the food and then it kind of flicks back into position like you know those old school door stops on old vintage or like like a Mickey mouse's tail.
Speaker 3: It was like it was like flapping in it, and I was like, oh, it stuck.
Speaker 1: So I leaned and I do you mind if I grab it? So I lean in.
Speaker 5: Stop it now.
Speaker 3: I don't need to hear the end.
Speaker 5: Stop it. I'm uncomfortable. Please stop, make it stop. If I grab.
Speaker 1: It, I lean in because I'm my girlfriend. I'll grab it here, grab it, Get it off me, babe A piece of breeze. I lean in, I grab it and I kind of pull and I go, oh, that's attached.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It was a skin tag on her chin and I pulled it and she kind of had a head jerk. Oh oh oh, no, you got I got the food. Don't worry, I got the food. It was it was it was just it was me, thanks babe. See outside. Did she know she knew she's gotten f skin tag?
Speaker 4: I have, actually, if it makes you feel better, I didn't I ever say this, but I did the same thing not that long ago.
Speaker 1: The same woman.
Speaker 5: It was a mole no no, and I.
Speaker 3: Thought it was like chocolate or I don't know.
Speaker 7: Guys, this is why you don't have to okay, I know you do have You don't have to tell people when they have things on their face.
Speaker 5: It's okay.
Speaker 7: It's okay to let people just live their life with a bit of a sliver and almond or a skin tag.
Speaker 5: No more. You just have to you just have to check more. If it's a skin.
Speaker 1: Tag, just don't play bomp it with it. I was twisted flicking. It's really stuck on there.
Speaker 5: I'm just going to really cut it off here.
Speaker 1: Anyone got a cauterization tool. This This woman's got some bris on her face, never got dry eyes.
Speaker 3: It's like the times like when you try and do a good thing in a backfires.
Speaker 4: Don't you remember when you I was really really sick and You're like, I'm going to come over and be like a really super great friend and I'm going to bring you some juice and some vita.
Speaker 5: And I was like, blessed us. Yeah, it was really nice. You came over and bought the jews.
Speaker 4: But then while you were even giving me the juice, you got a parking like three hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Remember I did. I thought I was helping Britt and I parked, and yet three hundred and forty bucks I got fined just given ret juice.
Speaker 5: Maybe you should stop doing nice things, Mitch, No, it worse.
Speaker 1: Just this is your maybe just think I think is the lesson here and it just start thinking. Anyway, Listen, if you had, if you've had like a moment like this backfire, like a good deed that you thought you were doing the right thing. DMS on the pickup, we'd love to hear from. Yeah, we'll look.
Speaker 7: Speaking of doing good things, you guys might be aware that recently there has been the announcement that the age of kids on social media is going to increase to sixteen, so if you're under sixteen, you can't use social media anymore.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: We spoke about it a bit yesterday and we had some really conflicting views on it. And coming up next we have a child specialist. Her name is Michelle Mitchell who has some interesting thoughts around whether this is.
Speaker 5: Going to be effective or not.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's next on the pickup.
Speaker 7: So yesterday we were having a really big conversation about this new legislation that's being passed to increase the age of kids on social media. So at the moment, it's currently thirteen for kids to access you know, TikTok and Instagram and all.
Speaker 5: Of the other big metal platforms.
Speaker 7: But Anthony Alberanezi wants that to be increased to sixteen years of age.
Speaker 5: This is what he had to say.
Speaker 6: This one's for the moms and dads. Social media is doing harm to our kids and I'm calling time on it. These tech companies are incredibly powerful and I want for Australian parents and families to know that the government has your back.
Speaker 7: So increasing the age I think for most people it sounds like such a great idea, and genuinely I also do think it.
Speaker 5: Is a good idea.
Speaker 7: But we had a discussion yesterday around what could be some of the downsides of this, because there has been some backlash to it.
Speaker 5: Now, we wanted to.
Speaker 7: Speak to somebody who has a little bit more skin in the game and knows more about.
Speaker 5: Kids than what we do. Michelle Mitchell.
Speaker 7: She's joined us on the show before and she is an award winning speaker, an educator, and best selling parenting author.
Speaker 5: Michelle, Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: I'm Michelle.
Speaker 2: It's great to talk to you guys again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so nice to have you back.
Speaker 7: Now, there's been a lot of people coming out saying that this may not be the best outcome for kids, banning them from social media completely until the age of sixteen.
Speaker 5: What are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 2: Sixteen is rough now. I'm talking to parents every day about this, and there are parents of tweens that seem to be like so thankful, They're like, help us, Like we just want to keep our kids off this for as long as possible. If Alban Eazy had to come out and said ban it till kids are one hundred and one, they would have still cheered, you know, like they're just so grateful. But parents of teens are the ones that are going this is just not going to work. And I can really understand that. I think from a professional space, something had to be done. So I'm really I'm really grateful something's being done. And I don't have any crystal ball to see how this is going to play out, but I'm kind of with you. There are some real challenges once kids get into high school. They've got work commitments, and a lot of that is communicated on social media. When you're saying, you know, weight mate, it's against the law, which our beautiful Brad Marshall came out and put on social media this week. That flies until kids are about thirteen and fourteen, and then they go, well, what are you going to do about it? I can use a VPN, I can use my older brother's ID. And I have this saying with parents' of teens it's always better to give freedom while you're still in the position to do so, before they've got the power to actually take it. And I just worry that's sixteen so old, like in the sense that they're almost, you know, moving out of school. They've got so much smarts at that age that we're really waiting to quite a late stage in their lives.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, it can't be a baby out of with the bathwater situation. You can't go well, sixteen is to all, let's scrap it, Like what what's the alternative or do you see an alternative or do you just think it's as simple as making it fourteen? Michelle, I think.
Speaker 2: Sixteen's a big jump. I didn't like fourteen because I'm thinking like grade nine, Like it's just such a year where like teachers will say kids are just surreal in grade nine, so it's like handing them social media in grade nine is like.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's the recipe for disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of thought if we won at thirteen, we'd be making a really good start, and I thought that was like a really sensible medium point and we could sort of say the kids, look, it's against the law till thirteen, and it would really help parents hold their ground. I feel like sixteen is a huge jump, and there's a lot of practical things that just don't make sense about it.
Speaker 4: Sixteen's hard because you're you've got it like a driver's license and you're you're going and getting jobs.
Speaker 1: End.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I think it's too old. I love the initiative, and I love what they're trying to do. I don't think they've quite worked out how to do it yet, and I think they know that as well. I think they're very hyper aware that this is supposed to be a conversation starter and it's a temporary band aid until they figure out what works well.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at sixteen year olds who are standing up to their parents and saying, look, I'm moving out in a year and a half and you can't stop me. You know, Like they're at this age where they're really asserting their independence. And I think if we've got any hope of really maintaining connection with our kids, we want to have such an open dialogue with them at that age, and we don't want them going underground and doing things that you know is potentially just hiding. You know, I just don't think against the law. It's almost saying to kids because I said so, and I just don't think that's going to work. Yeah, it's a tricky one, but in saying that, you know, we're losing kids lives, and it's a serious issue, and you know, thank goodness that people are taking seriously. My challenge with it too is even when they get on, just say at sixteen, just say which you know, I don't think kids will wait that long, but they're still getting exposed to the atrocious content that's inappropriate for their age. Even at sixteen, it's doing nothing to block that content. So I still say it the tech companies that need to provide better protection for kids, and it's doing nothing to help that. So regardless of you know, whether kids are getting on at thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, or sixteen, I'm still not okay what they're exposed to once they do get on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I also have this opinion of I'm a kid that grew up with the internet, right, and I learned so much about myself from being on the Internet, and it forms so much of who I am and helped me come out with my sexuality as a gay man and helped me I had no gay people in my life that the Internet really helped me. And I know, I mean, you just look at the how many kids are so comfortable with the sexuality, gender identity that's because of the Internet one hundred and ten percent. But then I also you can't speak with totality in that and say, well, then that's why it shouldn't be in So it's a very hard and tricky conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Internet, Mitch, has also involved a lot in the last twenty years from what was available and what the capabilitiesnet had to what is available now is vastly different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tough way we're going to going to solve it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in a positive and negative way. It's evolved as well. Parents have a lot better safety software these days as well, And I love how you brought out the positive. There's a lot of kids that I meet who have great, incredible social networks, and when they're talking about including gaming in some of these bands, that worries me because I know that some kids that I'm working with, one of their greatest lifelines are these gaming sort of communities that they're a part of.
Speaker 5: Well, Michelle, thank you so much for that.
Speaker 7: And honestly, it's a conversation that we keep having here, and I think it felt like a real victory. And then the more that we've had time to kind of think about it and talk about it, the more that I'm like, maybe it wasn't the win that we all expected it to be, and maybe there's more.
Speaker 5: To this all that. Yeah, much food for thought on this, So on raising the age.
Speaker 1: You can get some of Michelle Mitchell's books. You've got but you've got a bunch of the Moe. You've got six books out.
Speaker 5: Michelle, Yeah, I do. She knows the stuff.
Speaker 1: About Michelle Mitchell. Thank you for joining us once again on the pickup.
Speaker 2: Thanks jeeves.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 7: All right, well, look, usually we talk about really high brow stuff on this show. When we talk about the facts, we talk about what's happening in the news, all the hard hitting stuff, and I want to talk about something that's particularly low brow. I want to talk about the etiquette of what do you do when somebody you don't know that well farts around you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I know that that sounds outrageous, but hear me out.
Speaker 7: The reason why I need to talk about this is because I don't know what is the right or the most etiquette thing to do in this situation. So the other day I went into I wanted to like the supermarket.
Speaker 5: And I was in Witchery.
Speaker 7: So I'm standing in the store and I am the only person in the store, right, and I am being helped by a really lovely sales assistant.
Speaker 5: She is so nice.
Speaker 7: We're having a chat, and then all of a sudden, she audibly farts in the middle of a conversation.
Speaker 1: Farts. It's so funny to me.
Speaker 5: It was unbelievable to me.
Speaker 7: Not only does it it's not a quiet one, it's not a smellless one.
Speaker 5: It is a smelly, loud fart.
Speaker 7: And she just steam rolls through, pretends like it hasn't happened, keeps talking, keeps serving, keep standing within a close vicinity of me, and I had to back away. But I also was like, is this not a situation where at least one person should acknowledge the elephant in the room.
Speaker 3: Let's say it was an accident.
Speaker 5: She didn't mean to let one on one. Why she assuming it was an accident. It's not like I'm going to get this girl.
Speaker 4: I think the rules are the rules of engagement if there's more than one person. So if it's more than one on one and it's a group situation, then you of course deflect the blame onto someone else.
Speaker 5: But if it is just.
Speaker 4: Two people in a situation where you know it's not you, they know it's them.
Speaker 3: I think you have to own it. But you have to go, oh, sorry, excuse me, and then continue on, or you at.
Speaker 4: Least have to be like, have you seen what's over here on the other side of the store, so that you walk away from the wafsh of stink?
Speaker 1: But what is so embarrassing about claiming a fart? Everyone does it, But there is something so mortifying about going, yeah, that's mine, you know, because the smell kind of diagnoses your level of health. Like, if it's really rancid, it was so like you are deathly ill.
Speaker 3: That's not true.
Speaker 1: If it's kind of clean, I'd be like, yeah, that was mine. That one that kind of smells of vanilla.
Speaker 5: That's that's not true.
Speaker 4: Because one of the smelliest farts I will tell you is it's called a protein fart. When you consume too much protein, and protein is healthy. Is protein shakes lots of chicken or meat or whatever. They're called protein fars, and everyone knows that they stink, but that means you're healthy.
Speaker 1: Maybe she was ill.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: The trouble is is that, like I was so embarrassed for her that I withstood it.
Speaker 5: So I didn't walk away. I didn't make it.
Speaker 7: I didn't I just stood there and continued on having the conversation with her like nothing had happened, like I didn't notice. And I was like, why am I subjecting myself to this? To be polite?
Speaker 3: Because you care about her feelings, she was about mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was an accident, or she might have had incontinent or ibs or something.
Speaker 5: That's true with the I'm a bad person.
Speaker 1: Yeah you are.
Speaker 5: You're always sat in that fart.
Speaker 1: Can I just say, is it just me? Or is it worse to smell someone's fart that you don't know than like a friend's fart.
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: So much like if you fart and it was gross Laura Ferrell, But if Joe blow on the street fared, I'd be like, I'm gonna hit with my car.
Speaker 5: It's always more discussied.
Speaker 1: It's like I don't know your micro biome, I don't know what's going on in your gut, but I know your gut, you know, Like it just it's gross when it's a mysterious fart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm glad that I'm anonymous fart.
Speaker 1: With fart hunters.
Speaker 5: Sorry, did you just call us the fart hunters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like ghost hunters. If we we did a blind fart smell test, I could I could pick here now, I could smell lauras in a heartbeat, and I could smell brets. You know, you couldn't guess. I couldn't smell a Hello fresh and and protein protet. Laura's the smell of apple slices and whatever our kids didn't want to eat on. The producer Grace is written, and I'm vetoing this instantly.
Speaker 7: We're not making a break out, so we're not coming back with like no everyone guessing.
Speaker 5: No I care.
Speaker 1: What if we fighted in a box and then the audience came in and guessed it was Britt Mitchell Laura and they get five hundred guys.
Speaker 3: I can't pass wind on demand.
Speaker 4: I don't know about you, but you can't be like time for the fight break everyone, Let one rip.
Speaker 5: It doesn't work. Just wait until you're a bit older.
Speaker 1: I'm like a vending machine.
Speaker 5: We're the same age. You've got six months. All things are looser downstairs. After having two kids, I reckon, I could onthole. Don't you blame your fight ransoms.
Speaker 1: I'm having kids, your butt hole is fine. Let's go, Will, and what are you up next to drive your head? Thanks for listening to the show everyone, I'll we're back tomorrow, will be back after that, We're all going to be back, Yes, with the Great Fat Test happening live on it. We'll see tomorrow