Speaker 1: Laura, Come on.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, Hi, Hi Laura Mita you right over there?
Speaker 3: Are you right? What's wrong?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think that there are some foods that should not be consumed in confined spaces. We can all agree that tuna is one of them, and you know another one is banana.
Speaker 4: I sit on a plane and eat a banana? Are you?
Speaker 1: I would strongly disagree with both those things. I eat tuna and bananas in a room.
Speaker 4: Would you eat it? Would you eat tuna on a plane? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: You would sit on a plane and open a can of tuna next to someone?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely, This is so dramatic.
Speaker 5: A radio station to a plane is completely different.
Speaker 4: We're in the tiniest room. We are in a canon. I did eat but it was raw, so didn't smell you. That would really be.
Speaker 3: A hypocritical happy Monday show. We're all best.
Speaker 4: Sorry, we love each other.
Speaker 3: Banana are eating freak?
Speaker 5: Listen you just say raw sashimi? I'm like, what is that smell? Is someone painting? No, Laura's got with sabi. You whip it out on sashimi on the desk three pm as well, mate, Userson.
Speaker 1: No, this is the same person that wouldn't let you come into this room if you had chewing gum in your mouth.
Speaker 4: So I think grain of salt with Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: Maybe I have a pain in my ears. I don't know, I'm the pain in your ask Mitch, don't I sorry?
Speaker 5: Let me eat a banana and live. Guys like I need some sustenance. It's because we're doing pick up put down next to start the show. We do it every week all the big stories from the weekend that the world have been talking about. Everyone thinks, God, should we carry on these conversations into the weekend. Let's ask what Britney Hockley and Laura Burn have to say about these topics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the problem is they're never the big topics. But we've established that now.
Speaker 5: Well listen, Australia could soon face a national g string band and two of.
Speaker 3: The biggest purchases of these items in this room with me. So you're one of them, yes, and the other. We'll do that next Here on the pickup. Welcome, it's Monday. Let's celebrate here your dead.
Speaker 5: I have collated all the big stories from the weekend Britain, Laura, I'm going to bring them to you what I deem them. I've talked about stories in the world.
Speaker 2: Do you think Mitch has ever actually read the news?
Speaker 4: I reckon he just watches it on TikTok one hundred percent. I don't think you've ever read.
Speaker 3: Just the hick and reason.
Speaker 4: No, just full stop. I think you only read the headlines. That's what That's what you do, right, Laura, you can't talk.
Speaker 1: You are the worst for a clickbait headline.
Speaker 5: All right, you guys decide whether or not we keep talking about these topic, So we move on. Last week on the show, I was talking about my lunch on the way to work.
Speaker 3: This is what I said, if you missed it.
Speaker 5: I had this boiled egg in my left hand, driving the steering wheel with my right. I get this egg and I smash it against the gearstick knob and I get the most perfect crack in the world. And I had a couple of treacherous turns coming up, so I thought, all right, I'll put this egg on my chair, and the egg rolls back into the egg shell, so pick it up. Now this egg man is covered in eggshell. And then I end up throwing it out the window because I'm so pissed off. I've already heard today Laura, you've got feelings about my work snacks, Mitch.
Speaker 2: I have feelings about this whole segment. This is meant to be about the news. And now you've done a takeover about your eggs, which also stink, and I have a problem with you eating them in small, confined spaces.
Speaker 4: What's the pickup?
Speaker 3: Put down? What is the question? We had feedback saying you should not be eating eggs at all?
Speaker 1: As I say you, one of my favorite snacks is a boiled egg.
Speaker 3: So that's my question. Eggs as a snack.
Speaker 4: No, I have eggs as a snack in my bag. Now are you a toddler? Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: It's such high protein, it's so good for you, it's healthy, and it keeps you full.
Speaker 2: I'm just really again, I'm really against snacks that stink. Okay, I don't want stinky snacks.
Speaker 4: Boiled eggs. Don't putting it down.
Speaker 5: If you do them right, they're good, Laura, All right, cool, I try to take eggs.
Speaker 3: Are sponsoring myself?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Pick up? Put down? Banning nicknames for your children?
Speaker 4: What I don't have kids?
Speaker 2: Put it down, put it down. And I say this with all the loving respect to.
Speaker 4: My beautiful sister and her husband, Mikey, my brother in law.
Speaker 2: When when Archer was born, my nephew, they said no one's allowed to call him Archie, and now no one calls him Archie, but I always have the urge I really want to do it. So I think you shouldn't bear nicknames because.
Speaker 4: What's the mean? And then you can bear them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mum's net, which is like an online mummy blogger, sounds like my personal hell to be honest. Friends and family have commented saying that the baby at daycare has been told from the daycare, we're not going to refer to you as your nickname.
Speaker 3: You have to be you have to use your normal nickname, and the mum's upset.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: My nickname was p head, so I wouldn't mind if that was banned, or ski jump nose because I had.
Speaker 4: A little nose.
Speaker 2: Ski jump nose is actually a compliment and people pay a lot of money for that nose.
Speaker 1: But actually a lot of my payouts were to do with my face, which is concern.
Speaker 3: Pritty early person.
Speaker 5: She's like in high school, you know what they called me, gorgeous cheek bones, pick up put down G string bikinis.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say, you pick it up.
Speaker 5: I have them right, well, I know you have them, but I find of a woman wearing the G string banger has gone viral. Now the debate in Australia has been set off. Should we ban them? Some people are going as far to say let's ban them. A pole said around seven thousand people said yes, ban them. Six thousand, six hundred people said no, don't ban them.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, put it down because it makes me feel inferior, because my poor flat mum bum can't wear a G string bikini anymore.
Speaker 4: No, it's so flat.
Speaker 2: This something happens after you give birth to kids. No one talks about it, but it's like your your butt goes concave, it goes the opposite way and it flattens down against your That's got.
Speaker 4: Nothing to do with having kids.
Speaker 1: You haven't exercised in months.
Speaker 4: Okay, that really pointed, and I hurt me a little bit.
Speaker 3: He told me that I.
Speaker 4: Can't wear a G string bikini. And I see some of the I sound like, yeah, I sound like such an.
Speaker 2: Old lady, but I see some really young girls at the beach wearing G string bikinis and I'm like, please put us the wrong on.
Speaker 4: It's too much. I Matt, cover your eyes.
Speaker 1: I don't have G string bikinis, but I have like the Brazilian ones that are smaller and sometimes my butt sucks it up.
Speaker 5: That's actually me sorry that your butt is so strong it's sucks seeing any material and turns it into.
Speaker 4: A gdu You should feel my glutes.
Speaker 1: If you want, you can punch it time, Peter, thank you so much for that for the offer.
Speaker 4: But I'm okay, do you want to punch it my gluere Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, now punch mine you'll lose your hand. That really took a turn from Monday. I can punch it later, manuch, No, I'm all right there. You all right back after this, I would pick up.
Speaker 4: Laws.
Speaker 1: You've had a little bit of a rough trot lately, and you want to talk a bit about it today.
Speaker 2: Well, something we've been talking about over the last few months is something very important to me and I appreciate you guys giving me the space to share it. My stepdad, Neil, who's been a part of my life for the past twenty years. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer nine years ago. Now, I shared that he was in palliative care and we spoke about the importance of talking to the men in your life that you love around checking their prostate, and we had acuch an incredible response on this show. We had so many of you who went home and had those conversations with your dad, and for that, I am so grateful. This was actually Maddie was one of the girls that we spoke to, and this is what she had to say.
Speaker 6: So gave my bars and was just like, hey, heard this really sad story on the radio, but like just making sure you've had your checks and hey, I don't know, he's the full man with sixties and he was like, oh, I do you want to talk about that?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: And I actually had a like my own blood test. I didn't get my checks, nothing too exciting, and I was like, come on tomorrow morning, I'm going to pick you up. We'll go get our blood tests on together and then we can't go get brecky wort a date.
Speaker 1: For blood test.
Speaker 6: So it was actually really nice.
Speaker 2: Now, the reason why I wanted to talk about it is because Neil passed away on Tuesday, So sorry laws. He fought so hard. He fought for nine years, right until the very end, and sorry, guys, give me one step.
Speaker 3: Thank you? Do you want tish? She can we get all rung? We prepared. Oh, she's got.
Speaker 2: Them right until the very end. And he was surrounded by his two children, my mum, and I.
Speaker 4: Was able to be there to say goodbye.
Speaker 2: But I feel so grateful to have this platform, and I feel so grateful to be able to do the show with you guys, and to talk about something that is so important to me because Neil was only in his sixties. He has six amazing grandchildren, and he played such a huge part in all of our lives. But he never went and got his prostate checked. And in our family, we never spoke about it. It just wasn't ever something that I think anyone thought to have the conversation with. And now for me, it's something that I realized. You know, I know it's weird. I know it's strange. I know no thirty year old women are thinking, oh, I'm going to go talk to my dad about his prostate. But god, I wish one of us had thought that. And there were so many signs that something was wrong, and it took getting to a point where it was almost undeniable before he took himself to the doctors.
Speaker 4: And it's just such a huge shame.
Speaker 2: He was truly an amazing man, such a great granddad, such a wonderful husband to my mum.
Speaker 4: And he told the worst dad jokes.
Speaker 2: He loved a pun and it was so hard saying goodbye to him.
Speaker 4: So he loved a Hawaiian shirt. He loved a Hawaiian shirt.
Speaker 3: I remember Dance.
Speaker 2: Your wedding, yea man on the dance flo didn't he just But I mean, there's so many conversations that we have around cancer, and for anyone who's experienced it in their family, it's horrific no matter what the cancer is. But I think prostate cancer is one of those ones that's just a bit icky to talk about. And I think a lot of men in particular feel very private about the health and feel very private about things that they're going through.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not something that's normal to talk about.
Speaker 2: If you have a man in your life, whether it's your uncle or your dad or your husband, if it's a conversation that you've never had with them, please just send a text message or the next time you're on the phone, just ask them when did they go and get their prostate checked? Because it's such a simple test these days, it's it's a blood test. They check their PSA and that's kind of the indicator of the cancer. And yeah, just it really could save their life and you could be you know, could save another family from being in the situation that we are in.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The message here is, guys, you do need to advocate for your own health because no one else is going to do it for you.
Speaker 3: We love you, We're here for you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, guys.
Speaker 3: All right back after this on the pickup, So.
Speaker 1: Mitch and Laura is someone that has just recently gotten engaged, I feel like I'm sor yes, Oh I was like what anyway, someone that just recently got engaged. I get served a lot of engagement content.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you're the target audience.
Speaker 1: Now I am the target audience. And there's this one viral TikTok debate at the moment from this woman that has completely divided the internet because she's gone on to say that if a man can't pick being gaged ring on his own accord, that he's not the right man for you.
Speaker 7: Have a listen call me old fashion, but I think it is so weird when the girl knows exactly what ring she's getting. I feel like women have gotten so insecure and so entitled about their ring because of social media and how it will look to other people that they've forgotten what the proposal and what the ring even symbolizes. If you even have anxiety that your man is going to get you the wrong ring, you're with the wrong guy. Woman to women, the right guy will not fok that up.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, she sounds horrible.
Speaker 1: She actually like when I listen to it again, she sounded like a mold does she sounds awful?
Speaker 4: Like that is not a red flag.
Speaker 1: If your partner cannot quite pick the exact right ring, it doesn't mean he's the wrong person.
Speaker 5: Also, if you want to go back to the roots of marriage, it's so the man can own the woman. Like she's like, go back to the original.
Speaker 4: Old fashion.
Speaker 2: Okay, firstly, there's a photo here of her ring. Of course, she's not complaining. She's going to be dragging her knuckles around on the floor with that thing.
Speaker 1: I look, I sort of agree with the sentiment a little bit, like what she's trying to say in the messaging, but the way she says it is so rude and so offensive. I understand where she's like, just let him pick it. I get that because there's something quite nice in that. I let Ben, my fiance, pick mine. I didn't tell him exactly what I wanted.
Speaker 2: I did him save enough images though in your Instagram, which I found them all and sent them to him. He had a very clear indication of what you wanted, but not one ring was the same. Well, I mean, I think that there's different ways that you can split this. She's saying that people are insecure about what other people think, and that's why people are concerned about their ring.
Speaker 4: But I think for some men it is so overwhelming.
Speaker 2: There is so much pressure on choosing the right ring, on getting things perfect, that they almost feel debilitated by the choice. So if somebody doesn't get the right ring, or it's not exactly your style, or they've asked for your help or you've given them some direction, it doesn't mean that they're a bad partner, doesn't mean that they're the wrong person. I just think this is a superficial way of looking at it, that she's being superficial.
Speaker 3: And Alissa's gives his a call. Hay, Melissa, what are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 6: Yeah, hey, Mitch, my husband he picked it all himself, did the did everything, did the research, the cut, clarity and all that went to a diamond dealer and yes.
Speaker 3: Happy Did you like it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: I loved it. Yeah, it's the best. Yeah, it's just a classic. Looks like a Tiffany ring, but not as expensive as Tiffany ring.
Speaker 4: Beautiful.
Speaker 3: Sorry, we've got to ask the spell. Does he have a taste? Is he into style?
Speaker 6: He's got, he's got, he's got great style.
Speaker 3: That has a taste. And then a man who's not into it.
Speaker 2: But you can't hold that against them, Like, just because they don't have very good taste doesn't mean they would make a terribles.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean they're the wrong person. And Ben, I know my fiance almost brought me white gold. I don't wear white gold. I know if he did, I wouldn't have said, oh, red flag and dumbed him like I still.
Speaker 3: Would have married it.
Speaker 5: It made sure for the sake of your relationship that it wasn't yet gold.
Speaker 2: I set him in a really good direction for that, I reckon. You can thank me for your ring Britt. Actually, thank you for.
Speaker 5: My well We're died for the day. Listen this week, our little wins of the week are back. So if you want a five hundred dollars voucher cash really to spend at Chemists Warehouse, hit us up on the Pickup. Soci'll send us a DM a little win you've had this week, and we might be giving you some cash come Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you missed out on any of the show and you want to catch up on it, you can listen to the Pickup wherever you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 4: Bye guys, see you guys.