Speaker 1: Before we start today's show, just a bit of a heads up. We have something called a speak pipe, which is basically a modern day answer machine message where you can leave a message for us. You can ask a question, you can make a suggestion, just give us feedback and we'll actually be able to play it at the end of the show. It's been great to interact and hear some of your voices. You can always email us at yasny Podcasts at gmail dot com, but we love to hear your voices, So get onto our speak pipe on the page where you found our podcast, and we can't wait to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm with today's show, Gid Apeter, Hell are you here?
Speaker 1: Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the Movie Podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or but loved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian Daniel Connell.
Speaker 3: The first rule of play club is you do not talk about fake club.
Speaker 4: No, it was your fred up.
Speaker 5: You broke my heart. I admire your luck, mister Bond, James Bond.
Speaker 6: Nothing New.
Speaker 1: Daniel Connell is one of the funniest and busiest comedians working the Australian comedy circuit today, announcing himself in Canberra's Green Faces all the way back in two thousand and nine, placing third nationally. Dan was driven to further his comedy career and moved to Melbourne in twenty ten and really went to work building his audience with his laconic aff of and beautifully crafted routines.
Speaker 2: Daniel is much loved.
Speaker 1: And respected by fellow comics and his audience is getting bigger and bigger year on year. Recent shows such as a Bit of Shush I've had a Flare Up, as well as a few ripping Melbourne International Comedy Festival Galas has seen his reputation and status grow and grow. His recent live show Gutlass Wonder. He's winning rave reviews and he's churing around the country. Dan has also written on the project He's laid back, talented and hilarious and I get the feeling his comedy assent has only just begun. So I'm bloody stokes to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 6: Today. My name is Daniel Corral. My three favorite films are Beetlejuice.
Speaker 5: Well, if you are a real ghost, you guys better get another routine.
Speaker 6: Because those sheets.
Speaker 5: You don't work.
Speaker 6: Batman, where are you? I'm Batman and fury?
Speaker 4: Hey start sorry when I shoot at the nazis done.
Speaker 6: And up until last night, I hadn't seen the film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas did get worn?
Speaker 3: I have thought so.
Speaker 7: Long?
Speaker 2: Is their only pay?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 1: And that was Bill Murray from the film Lost in Translation, which you may recognize, and you may be going, hang on a second, didn't dance and your Connell just say his favorite film was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Well, we have our first incident.
Speaker 1: You ain't seen nothing yet, Dan Connor, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 6: Thanks Pete. It's lovely to be here.
Speaker 1: Something dawned on you as we're preparing to go live. And I think I mentioned the film Lost in Translation because that was the film we had agreed to talk about over some messages.
Speaker 2: And what dawned on you?
Speaker 6: First of all, I came here. I got bad traffic on the way here. I got a little bit late. I was feeling terrible. I've kept them waiting. I've got to make up for this. Pete's got his notes out in front. I've got my notes in my phone. Pete, mentions the film Lost in Translation, and my heart skipped a beat. I was like, did he just say Fear and Loathing? He said Lost Translation? And I quickly checked our messages while you were just writing some notes, and I noticed that you said we should watch Lost in Translation. And on the list that I set you above, that is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. And I just saw that, and I went and I watched Clothing in Las Vegas for three ninety nine on YouTube, and I have all my notes on Fear and Loathing on Las Vegas, and I saw, I saw. I saw Lost in Translation probably four fifteen years ago. But yeah, that's where we see both.
Speaker 1: Both movies involve hotels and you know, big, unique kind of cities. Let's you know what I said to you, Afair, I've been waiting for somebody, a guest, to come along. There's always a little bit of nervousness. It's kind of gone away recently. I have to say, well, you know, people are kind of across the concept now. But the idea that somebody would come to me and say, oh, I thought I was gonna watch the movie after we speak, which doesn't really make sense. But I've been kind of waiting in a weird way for that to happen. Let's talk about your three favorite films, and then we'll come back and work out what the fuck we're going to talk about, because you have judgment thankfully three films that I have seen and that I'm aware of.
Speaker 2: Let's start with Beetlejuice with Nate Velvo.
Speaker 1: Actually watched this for the first time on this podcast, and that was actually, I think the first time I had seen it too fun fever, Yeah yeah, really, yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah. For me, it's because it's a childhood memory and I still we've probably seen it in the last five years just to see what it was like now, and still really enjoyed it. There's just something about I'm not that into the other Burton films. I'm not that, although I did mention Batman that's it. That's the only two. That's it. Batman returns to Know, but those two I just something about them. I love, obviously love Michael Keaton.
Speaker 1: So back then you would have been a young budding comedian or you know, maybe with that I'm not sure if that idea been planted into you ahead, but the sea anyone with the love of comedy the see Michael Keaton kind of go from you know, doing sketch comedy and stand up comedy into into full Michael Keaton.
Speaker 2: To see what he could do. Yeah, it was not like a dramatic role.
Speaker 1: I wasn't like, you know, Robin Williams doing Goodwill hunting or Depot Society. But it was just like, Okay, they have let this guy off the leash and it's kind of a joy to watch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was definitely his I know he'd done a couple of little things before that, but it was definitely like, this guy's a superstar, and I remember the skill. I was scared of it. I was scared of him when I was a kid. I was terrified, but there was something about the character that I was still drawn to and I did like I was scared, but I still loved them and they I don't know, it just made me. Obviously. I watched Freddy Krueger and all those things back then as well, around that time when I was ten, but that was the one that I was scared of but I still liked for some reason. I was just drawn to that. And then all the the spooky, the Tim Burton stuff that's with it just yeah, just I don't know, there's just something in my I've probably seen movies that are a better, better written and things, but.
Speaker 2: Beople Juice is utterly unique. Though.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, it feels really like to see that. When it came out, so how old are you, Well.
Speaker 6: It was like eighty I think it came out, so I was five when I but I wouldn't have seen it until probably I was ten. I reckon early nineties.
Speaker 1: I would have on BHS, Yes, yeah, and it would it would have Yeah, your little mine would have been blown.
Speaker 6: Away, absolutely yeah, And I I'd remember when we got it. We got it on school holidays VHS and I got to pick and I chose that. Sisters weren't happy, and yeah they were. Once we watched it, we all loved it.
Speaker 1: Did you feel you were picking a scary movie or did you feel you're picking a comedy?
Speaker 6: Or I had been told by my friend Matt at school that he loved it. That's why I got that. That was the main reason I got it. The front cover, I was like, what is this? What you know? You're looking at it? You wouldn't have a clue what it's about if you just look at the cover. Yeah, or the poster, but yeah, I had no idea about who Tim Burton was or any of that stuff. You don't look at that stuff when your kid. But yeah, once I watched it, I was talk talking about it for weeks afterwards.
Speaker 1: And Geena Davis is so good in that Alec Bordwin and Catherine harr.
Speaker 2: Is in it too.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she has a role in there, and she we know it more recently from Shit's Creek. But also you know they waiting for government films and.
Speaker 2: All of that. That is a that is a great just when you grab in Canberra.
Speaker 6: I grew up in place called Batrom's Bay, sort of an hour and a half on the coast from Camera. Yeah, but yeah a lot of Canberra. Well lived in Canberra quite a bit too. What was your like CaAl Cinema, Bay City Cinemas, even though it's a small country town, two cinemas, Bay City Cinema still going strong, is it? Yeah? Real, very quintessential countrytown cinema up the stairs and then you go that smell as soon as.
Speaker 2: You walk in the popcorn.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they wouldn't have changed the carpet for since I was there.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've seen some. Yeah, I watched there. My uncle worked at sports scene. He was the manager of the local sports store, and he got two free tickets to the premiere of Jurassic Park when it came to Bay City Cinemas. And that is still even though I didn't make my top three, that was one of my best ever movie experiences. Getting a coke for free and malteseus for free VIP. Yeah, that was beautiful experience.
Speaker 2: I love those early memories.
Speaker 1: But my first movie I ever saw was called The Pirate Movie and it was shot at Werriby Mansion starring Christy McNichol and Christopher Atkins, Blue Lagoon Christopher Atkins, two American imports, and it was this weird kind of movie shot down in Weribee. But I remember the smell of the cinema, that popcorn and the carpet, and they had this as a little promotion, a little treasure chest of candy nice and they just set me up. I was like, I love the movie, what sort of I need to come back in many many times we're talking boiled lullies or we.
Speaker 2: No, they went boiled.
Speaker 1: They were little, they were tiny, little like almost I'm not sure if they were little hearts.
Speaker 2: But i'd shaped very very similar.
Speaker 6: What is that a movie? I've never heard of that movie.
Speaker 2: Not many people have.
Speaker 1: It's got like a memory, a lot of Australian talent in there. But like I said, it's Christop Rackens, Christy mcnichol's. It's kind of quasi musical. Oh, I think it's not very good. It's not very good. I did see it later on in life. Maggie Kirkpatrick's in it, Gary McDonald's in it, Bill Kerr, Ted Hamilton.
Speaker 6: I mean they're all there. They are all Gary McDonald Wow, Okay, Red Hot and Ronda. Do you know what year this would have been?
Speaker 1: This was I reckon it would have been. It must have been nineteen eighty or something like that.
Speaker 2: All eighty two.
Speaker 6: And you went in the cinema to see that? Yeah, do you remember walking in and having a choice of another American blockbuster that was also playing that you missed.
Speaker 1: My other memories of that cinema was I saw Return of the Jedi twice in the same day, and the second time I went back to see it, I was sitting there and it was a pretty packed cinema. And you know when Luke enters Javis Palace and he's in the black clight. You don't really know it's Luke just yet, and something the bug in front of me has gone Star Vader, and I went, no, it's nuts, Luke.
Speaker 2: Did you get a look or I couldn't remember a look.
Speaker 1: I was probably too busy me chuckling myself. Do even worry about Beetlejuice. Great movie, as much as you despise Tim Burton. Your second favorite film of all time is Batman, as directed by Tim Burton, And I'm waiting for your next favorite movie to be replaced with Edwards hands.
Speaker 2: Tell us about.
Speaker 6: Batman, because I've done fear and loathing, Beetlejuice, Burton, Johnny Depp. There's a bit of a yes, yeah, yeah, even though I did the wrong.
Speaker 2: Film, which we will get to very soon.
Speaker 6: This is Batman, the same similar reasons to Beatle Juice. Probably the next year school holidays, same thing. I got the one choice each year, one choice school holidays. We would get one new release and then obviously five weeklies, so six. I think we got two rounds of it, each of picking the new release, because there'd be six weeks of schools two sisters. Three of us were.
Speaker 1: You're pretty good at getting the VHS tapes back on time and were rewound.
Speaker 6: Yes, we lived walking distance to the no excuses.
Speaker 2: But rewinding was that was a chore. Yeah, that took some time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was about a dollar if you didn't rewind.
Speaker 1: But my mum would often might send us in with horrific excuses as to why the takes where it reround, like we lost an uncle or something. It's been an emotional time for the family. Can you forego the dollar? Fi the great film though still right up there in the top line of Batman films eighty nine it's in Burton Jack Nicholson a's joke obviously.
Speaker 2: Michael Keaton again.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think he personally, I think he's the best Batman. And you know, he was like, what it is fascinating about? That's eighty nine, so he was about he was forty. He was forty, which not many people, I don't think realize, Like, it's pretty old for a Batman.
Speaker 1: Would you say he's the same age as the Queen. Now, one of the pleasures of recent cinema has been the re emergence of Michael Keaton.
Speaker 2: I think Spotlight might have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a film that kind of brought him back in to The Spotlight funny enough, not trying to tie too much into that movie. As to his reappearance. And of course Birdman, Yeah, he was so great. But he's even there's May called The Other Guys with Will Ferrell, and he's really funny in that and he's constantly quoting.
Speaker 6: Chasing Water. He chose to have a breaker, right, he chose to have.
Speaker 1: He's so good that I can't imagine it was because people weren't hiring.
Speaker 6: I just read that he was on his mansion, like he's he's just got a big property and lives apparently lives next to Rich Hall the comedian. Really yeah on Ranchers in I can't remember what stated he is over there but just wanted to have a break for a decade or fifteen years and just counted his cash. And yeah, but he's come back with a bang. He's in so many good films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's always great. But let's talk about Batman. What did you love about the Darkness?
Speaker 6: Yes, I like the I think the because you've probably seen the old Batman we had. My sister won a VHS from the local newspaper, the original, the original Batman, just the TV show with Yeah and the Joker on that and the riddle. Yeah, it was similar to that. For me, it was that it was really good, bad guys but still fun. They weren't I think obviously Ledger is probably he's up there with that. He'sn't. They're the best Jokers, But yeah, I just love the similar to the Beetlejews character, like there's still something about them that you really like. Even though he got dropped in that pit of apologies. For anybody that hasn't seen it, you're still ah, Like I enjoyed that character up until then.
Speaker 1: Kim Passenger is obviously Vicky Vale, but Billy d Williams is in any place Harvey Dent, Yes, in that old Lando Carosi.
Speaker 6: The Jokers still has the you know, like he's got the flowers at squirt Water and the he's still got those old tricks that the original. Yeah, that's what I really like about it, and that's definitely lost now on.
Speaker 1: The Jokers, Markin went a little bit darker. It's a film and I remember, I think eighty nine it comes out, and the marketing behind it was just like, you know, everyone had a Batman T shirt, just a simple Batman logo.
Speaker 2: It was it was huge.
Speaker 1: Jack Nicholson was just awesome and it was It was really kind of because you forget there was a time where there wasn't a superhero movie coming out every every three months, Like this felt like the one that proceeded this was probably Superman, and that was you know, the original sup May maybe eighty two or something like that, and then maybe a couple of sequels, but the sequels had petered out a little bit. So this felt like, you know, a breath of fresh air and re energized the superhero market. I mean not that they were taking it. They didn't take advantage of it that much. I mean they made they milk the Batman sequels and Joel Schumacher I think took over after the second one maybe, and they got a bit yes, and then all of a sudden, George Cliney had nipples. So what are we doing? What are we doing here? What are we doing here? Fantastic choice. Now the third film hasn't come up before, but I really love this film. Fury with Brad Pitt.
Speaker 6: I think it is so underrated. I can't believe how many people haven't seen it or it's and it kind of just flew under the radar. It wasn't really a box office and even when it was released, it wasn't hugely talked about or I think it's done alright box office wise, but it's definitely not. My dad loved war movies growing up, so I've got this scene where I've always just watched them vicariously and I do like them now, and obviously Saving Private Ryan all those ones, but this one, I think is just I think it's so good because it's flown under the radar, and I'm just trying to promote it more for the people who it needs a bit. If you haven't heard of him, he's great.
Speaker 1: But not even Shyler Booth could ruin this movie, which that's one of the biggest complementary He's really good. He's really good at Michael Penner is in it. It's largely a characters and actors who outside of Brad Pitt and Schola Booth, but you kind of are vaguely familiar even looking at them, which actually is really nice. And so Brad Pit's the leader of this battalion that is basically in the tank. It's all set around his tank, which is called Fury I think thanks called Fury.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, and I like it. It's really based around that. There's a I don't know what the actor's name is, but there's a young guy in it who joins the tank after one of the members dies. He's just called off the line in war to step in and just take the role. And it's just just great at capturing the fear and innocence, like he's just thrown into the scene where he's pretty much guaranteed that he's going to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi, hi, good.
Speaker 3: Even Norman White, chain of post whom Germans how many?
Speaker 2: How many? Oh?
Speaker 3: I got too tore? Maybe three hundred of them?
Speaker 2: He got vehicles too, tanks No, no, no, just truss.
Speaker 5: How bunch of buns looking to surrender.
Speaker 3: That's o no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: That they're marching.
Speaker 7: They were singing.
Speaker 2: This sounded like they wanted to play sing.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you right over there now you hear that. It's goddamn SS battalion. Oh shit, US crash great god, yeah, what the webshit?
Speaker 5: It's just getting ship all right, looks about to be dark, just going up out of here.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 2: Let him pass on through because something was through.
Speaker 3: Norman, go get ship, go get your pack, let's go. We ain't ever run before.
Speaker 2: I ain't running now, what's that? We're gonna fight it out.
Speaker 6: We can't.
Speaker 3: We gonna hold this cross?
Speaker 6: Well, what do you mean gonna hold this? The tanks busted?
Speaker 2: The tanks fucking busty top. Yeah you said that.
Speaker 6: What are you doing? What do you wanna do?
Speaker 2: You want to sit here and here hold off faces? But you know not what don't want to do with what we're doing with five of us in your position? Not I can fighting positions when we ain't gonna tell you how are we gonna fight? We an't care it, don't make sen What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Get out of here, Get to that tree line. Boys, take care of yourselves.
Speaker 2: Get to that tree line.
Speaker 5: It's all right, Hum, that's all right. Mhm, it's well, I'm staying here with you.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I just feel like it's just it really hits home for what they went through. It's just it's I don't know what the budget was, but it must be huge. It is so well shot. And the scene with the tanks when they come across the and they're on in the field and it's three of their tanks versus the enemy. It is just unbelievable way that shot all in one.
Speaker 1: There are incredible set pieces all the way through it, and they're basically the whole movie, like how the fuck are they going to get out of this? Yeah, and it's just been the whole time, and they're not necessarily all heroes, you know, and that some of you you don't really like, you know, you know, some of them that aren't doing you know, awesome things, yeah, throughout there, but it's it's It was directed by David A. Or I'm not sure exactly how to say his name, but he went on to do he did End of Watch, but in Suicide Squad. He was brought on for Suicide Squad and there's also done some other Fast and Furious and wrote Training Day, but that was a TV series of Training Day, which you wrote, but I don't think he had anything to do with the original one.
Speaker 2: But also wrote Fury. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a really it's it's kind of gritty, it gets you in all the right bloody places. It's beautifully shot, and it's tense, like you just these guys are, because it basically comes out there in the tank surrounded.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and there always seemed to be the main the last stand. They always it's always up to them. They always get sent to the worst part. Yeah, and I'm always told, you know, but there we've got to follow orders, and you kind of want them all to There's a couple you don't care if they die, but there's Certainely Pitt and the young guy. You're like, hell, yeah, they've got to get out of this, but I won't ruin the ending. But you're just you're rooting for them the whole time.
Speaker 1: I think the young actor is Logan Luhrman, I think his name is. He has been in because he has a really sympathetic face.
Speaker 6: He's probably twenty five, but he looks eighteen. Yeah, he's probably thirty.
Speaker 2: He's been like Perks of a Wallflower. He was in did you see Hunters at All?
Speaker 1: Which I think Amazon came out with al Pacino about these guys who hunt Nazis.
Speaker 2: It was it was, It wasn't bad. It was a bit style over over substance.
Speaker 6: So like an Inglorious Bastards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had that kind of face, very stylized, huge but huges. So the idea was he's still Nazis in America, and these people would track them down and and kill them. Logan Luman, he's got a he has got a a. Really, it's a very pretty face. You put him as much as you're putting in with Brad Pitt, who's, you know, the most handsome man who's ever lived. It's Brad Pitt, an older Brad Pitt and muddy and dirty and kind of.
Speaker 6: He does well to play a gritty even though he's a good looking man. He does well to play a gritty guy that you're not really looking at. There is a scene though, where you take his shirt off and go, all right, that's unnecessary.
Speaker 2: Keep it clean, bro.
Speaker 6: But you might remember there's a scene in there that's just so heartbreaking, like the war and what it was like. They get to a town and they go up into a house where there's a couple of ladies, like a daughter and a mother or a sister's.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a scene I mostly remember.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he just he just has a little tin because they're not eating properly or anything. He has a tin with just four eggs in it and asks them to cook four eggs for them. And they're sitting down to have the meal is just such a moment for them to enjoy it. And it's just four eggs. They just cook four eggs and all sit around and have the lovely you know, the fine china and everything to eat it. But it's like, God, it's quite depressing to watch, but it's really capsul encapsulates that what it was like for them.
Speaker 1: Logan Lemon was also the main actor in Percy Jackson, the Percy Jackson series for us who know that, but were you a war game kid?
Speaker 2: Like growing up was playing war games, like not on computers that.
Speaker 1: Like, there's probably backyards with sticks, and you know, our.
Speaker 6: House backed onto bush land, so we were always in there, especially after I'd watched something war related. I think Bridge over the River Choir would be my dad's favorite film. I've probably seen that five times, three times vicariously just sitting there trying to ignore him.
Speaker 2: He's right into it, just waiting for the Tim Burton reboot.
Speaker 6: I would watch that, look to be honest. Yeah, so we'd just get straight out in the bush, make make guns out of sticks and die behind logs and put the get the charcoal out of the fire, and yeah, this is this is.
Speaker 1: Why it's so great that we live in the country largely doesn't have guns, because you know, if you had watching a war movie going out, we just got our sticks.
Speaker 2: That's all we need, plastic guns.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Enough of that nonsense, all right, than your Connell fear and loathing in Las Vegas. The predicament I'm in is and I haven't obviously watched it for this episode, but I have seen it.
Speaker 2: I have seen it. What did you think of it before?
Speaker 6: I did do a little bit of reading this before I watched it, just to see what people because i'd heard of it, and i'd heard it was a cult following, and obviously you were very keen for me to watch.
Speaker 2: Reading None of the messages that I sent you.
Speaker 6: Not the most crucial thing they was supposed to read. I was so happy with my notes on this.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's let's go through it.
Speaker 1: So it's Terry Gilliam of Monty Python, Mundy Python, and obviously Johnny Depp in the lead role.
Speaker 6: I hadn't heard much of I haven't heard much of him in the last He's gone quite as he has gone right off the boil.
Speaker 2: He hasn't made a movie. He hasn't been in the news at all.
Speaker 6: That's actually my thought process. You've told me to watch Lost in Translation. Clearly, as we've gone back and looked at the messages, I accept responsibility for this. But then i'm watching I see you know, I'm thinking Pete's told me to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which he had Johnny Depps in that it's weird that he would Well, he didn't, he didn't watch it. That's why it's problematic. But no, it is. But because you didn't tell me to watch it at all.
Speaker 1: When you were watching it, were you like, how much were you was Johnny depp recent trial and this the plan in your mind at all?
Speaker 2: Or are you able to sink into his performance?
Speaker 6: I think probably a couple of minutes and then sink into the performance. But I read that before I watched it that obviously it's a cult classic, but it's one of the most polarizing films of all time. People walked out in the premiere. Some people love it and have sent it a hundred times, and I can after watching I can totally see how that because I found his I've never disliked to carry mate characters in a film more than this film. But I watched it to the end. I wanted to know what would happen. I didn't want to turn it off at any point. Yeah, but they there's just no like protagonists that you like, you don't like. There's nothing about it that you like. They're high on it's a very drug. It's all about acid. And he's a reporter and he's sent to the Nevada Desert to cover a motorbike race. But him and his attorney, who's I don't know, is it Benicia del Toro, that character.
Speaker 2: That John's Hunter s Thompson.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, basically yeah, And I don't it's just yeah, they're just they're just on acid the whole time, basically. And you think at the start, because they start off high, you think, okay, this is going to get into them getting so not getting getting sober forever, but just getting clear minded and the story will take shape and off you go. But it's just a whole The whole thing is right as it starts, is how it is for the entire hour fifty It's just wild. They're just on benders the whole time. They're trashing hotels and you just I just disliked them so much. I don't know if it's just because I'm older now, what it is.
Speaker 1: I remember my thoughts when I watched it was that I had no the characters were dislikable. I didn't I didn't have a way to get into them because I'm not a Drugs haven't been a big part of my life. So I think my Damien Power had one of his top three films, and you know, he said, you know, I have used you know, recreational drugs, and and and so he had it brought back a lot of experiences for him. It was kind of fun for him to kind of go and experience that. And I imagine he's certainly not alone in that of what you know, going perhaps getting high or taking a trip, whatever the young people are doing these days, Daniel and experiencing it. I can I can see how that would be fun. But if you come from a place where drug use has not really been a big part of your life, you'd have seen blokes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think that's where the divide is right there. I've never taken acid. I've taken other drugs, but nothing is you know, nothing where I've hallucinated, and like they are through the whole time. So as I was watching, I was like, all right, this is the cult following is people who have taken acid and the people who don't like it have probably yeah teetotals, you know, walking out, It's it's still like, it's really well shot. It's really cool the way it's made. There's a great scene where he's llucinating and everybody turns into lizards in a hotel foyer and he's having a horrible trip. But it's it actually made me look up where can I buy asid? Yes, and then I took some and then I read your message and I read it wrong. It made me look up that there's any connections to Beetlejuice in this film, and then it was any set design or anything, because that scene reminded me of the Beetlejuic scene where they're in the hospital waiting room and with a little small head. It was very similar.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny that you had you watched, you know, a film that was you know, not aimed at a slightly different audience in a way, I guess, but like almost like a younger like almost like Beetlejuice is like if there are kids on drugs. Beetle Juice is probably the film for them. You've ver too much Red Cordial, watch Beetlejuice like you've run a sugar high. You love Beetlejuice, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is probably the adult version of that. It's yeah, bettle Juice is wonderfully weird. I think Beetle Juice has more of a plot, and it's hard to get away with plotless films, you know. Lost in Translation, the film that we want to talk about today, just to remind everyone.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 2: Largely like a reasonably plotless kind of film. I love it.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's great. I really enjoyed watching it last night, because that was the film we reread it. But I'm really glad I enjoyed it, So I'm glad it wasn't a taxing exercise for me.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't even need to watch it.
Speaker 1: But that, you know, that is like a meandering kind of film. It's nuanced, it's in the character performances as not necessarily a whole bunch of dialogue. It's not like it's not as talky talky as some of those films can be. It's just it's beautifully observed, and I think it really works.
Speaker 6: What I remember of that film? Would you probably yeah, a long time ago when it first came out, probably, But do you think anyone but Bill Murray could play that roll? I feel like that is that movie is so much him.
Speaker 1: B Coppler said that she wouldn't have made a film without Bill Murray. So she went to him and said, and eventually got on to him. Because Bill Murray, you probably have heard those who haven't, he basically runs his career. He has a landline phone, doesn't have a manager, and the number it's pretty hard to get, so you need to go know somebody who knows somebody who knows Bill Murray.
Speaker 2: And even Sophia.
Speaker 1: Coppler, whose fucking dad is Francis Well Coppler, maybe the greatest filmmaker in history, still couldn't get Bill Murray's number.
Speaker 2: Eventually gets it off.
Speaker 1: Were's Anderson because Bill Murray had done Rushmore and the Royal Tannembaums and yeah, like I think left quite a few messages, you know, and eventually he agrees to do this, and even hadn't doesn't sign a contract. So they're in Japan doing a bit of pre production still not completely store. Bill Murray's going to ruck up or not and she calls We's Anderson and he says, if Bill says he'll do it, he'll do it.
Speaker 2: And the wow he racked up.
Speaker 6: But yeah, good golf courses in Japan, so that was probably got him over the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he probably, He probably right. Actually, I mean, I think it's a fun film for him to make. One is a really well written film he had licensed to do some madly being it's a two hander, you know, it's kind of you know it I think shot in twenty seven days, so there wasn't a lot of stuffing around. I don't think they shot a lot of a gorilla style on the streets and yeh with a very young skull at your hands and he's like it was seventeen. Actually it's quite interesting looking at that, thinking now where she's gone. She's you know, she's a superstar now. But seeing her play, yeah, well she wasn't playing since she was seventeen, playing like probably somebody in the early to mid twenties. But she's great, but well, Lost of Translations will come back and do that another time. So Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was Johnny Depp. He did everything he had to do in the role, Like, yeah.
Speaker 6: I like, obviously he's playing Hundre Thompson, but I just feel like the obviously I'm not a I'm not an actor or anything, but it just feels so forced and the voice is just did he talking like this the whole film? It's just it just seems so I know he's playing that and that he's really trying to, but it just seems unnecessary. It's a bad country.
Speaker 1: There are some times when you are watching an actor early in the movie and they are you know, you know that it's not their natural speaking. They're doing a voice, whether it's an accent or changeing the gravity of their voice or the gravitars of their voice, and you're going to you're gonna that way we go?
Speaker 6: Is this?
Speaker 1: They're doing this the whole time, And then sometimes it just becomes you're gonna like a mint later, you're not even thinking about it anymore. But there are times sometimes where you're still thinking about later.
Speaker 6: I think I thought about the whole time, Like what did you think? What did you think about Christian Bale's voice in Batman.
Speaker 2: A Man so on and reassuring. Is putting a code around a young boy shoulders very in the back of my brain.
Speaker 1: Not the first time you're like, oh wow, that's a choice. And I'm not sure that ever completely went away from me.
Speaker 6: No, not for me. It didn't for me. What what?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: What did? I know? You're trying to be different and that is not the That wasn't the thing to make it. It was just so un It just wasn't. You can't speak like that and then speak normally well at your dinner parties. It doesn't. The mask doesn't change your voice made.
Speaker 1: Like it's just I guess if he's trying to remain anonymous, Yeah, yeah, that he's going, you know, and Bruce Wayne is not an actor, so he's just going, well maybe if I.
Speaker 6: Just a little bit, but not full gravel like that was.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could have been worse. You could have done it, you know, like a Chinese accident.
Speaker 6: Now we're talking.
Speaker 1: Did you wonder throughout this? And not necessarily based on the Johnny Depp and Amber Herd case, but obviously I think it's fair to say Johnny Depp has has been has been a drug user over us and that sometimes has led him down dangerous and dark paths. Did you kind of wonder, I wonder where this film sits and what influence it had on it, Like.
Speaker 6: Oh, absolutely, if he is you can tell he's definitely in the zone, and he's definitely he's one hundred percent he's taken drugs. When they're not shooting, you can just tell it's in the He might even be high in some of the scenes and they might not have minded that. It's just got that vibe about it. And same with Del Toro. They are obviously it's great acting in the scenes where they are messed up and hallucinating. And there's a scene where Bernucio del Toro's characters in a bath and Johnny Depp comes in and that it's just it's wild, like he's it's just gross, and they're just in this messed up hallucinating but you're like, how is this real? You know, you sometimes watch scenes and you read about later that that was they actually were doing that in that scene. Would not put a part if he didn't have traces of some sort of drugs in his system in that film for that entire film, I would be blown away. Yeah, like there was Yeah, and then afterwards how much did he you know, did he take on after that?
Speaker 2: Did he?
Speaker 6: Yeah? H being that character after the film, because it's they've got He's got a suitcase the whole time that's got every drug ever made in it, and he carries that around with him and he knows everything about it and the way he takes the drugs. He's obviously a good actor, but he also knows how to do it all.
Speaker 2: Like he's funny.
Speaker 1: I mean, sometimes I think people think everyone in entertainment takes drugs and all that and crept me from wrong. But a lot of people, I think imagine there's probably a lot of drugs backstage in comedy rooms. I've seen so little of it. I've barely been offered any there's never been at rooms. And maybe if you kick on afterwards, you know, there might be.
Speaker 6: Some cups of teas in green rooms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is, So.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily think it's it's I did a debate yesterday with somebody about how rife it is. I know it's obviously it's society, it's roighte. But I'm not sure if it's any more in entertainment than in the stock breaking industry, for example.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but just money wherever there's money, exactly right.
Speaker 1: And and it's funny though we've you know, we assume Johnny Depp's probably on drugs in this movie, and you know, and he's, yeah, he's spoken about before that he has taken drugs. It's no secret. And we're kind of okay with it because we like his movies. But a twenty one year old footballer, you know, it gets you know, it gets seen in the TikTok video and it's outrage.
Speaker 2: It's outrage.
Speaker 1: It's it's got a weird some of the double standards we're going to have when it comes to drugs.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, just thinking as I was saying that I might google after this, I might read that he was completely sober. Yes, we're going through one of his you know, sober times. But they might have even chosen him for that role because of they knew he was a party er. Yeah, well perfectly as well as.
Speaker 2: I would like to know.
Speaker 1: And if you do know, Yasny podcast at gmail dot com or get onto our speak pipe and you can leave us a message if you have any info on Fear and Over in Las Vegas is. Where As Johnny Depp was like, sometimes you do hear of actors going down a rabbit hole for a roll and then being.
Speaker 2: Quite affected by that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's a positive change, but other times it's it can be Oh no, I kind of yeah, I became Hunter S Thompson for three months and now I kind of really like drugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could have absolutely happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We hear about Christian Bale often.
Speaker 2: He does the whole method.
Speaker 6: Yeah, method thing gets right into it. I wonder how he you know, he's probably doing quite well to be just back to himself, like he gets so Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think in the movie Worrier, which you did with Joel Legend, and like he fully got on the roids too, you know, it's like a like a cage a cage fighting or mixed martial arts and went full full on the roids, and it's like, wow, that's a choice.
Speaker 2: Have you been in Vegas? Did it do anything for you to kind of go, let's book some tickets.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I've never had an interesting going to Vegas, and that probably makes me dislike it even more. No, it's not. There's not much about Vegas in it that I didn't already know, it hadn't seen from other films. So yeah, it's kind of so much of it is said in their hotel rooms. Yeah did it probably did more about acid for me than that. I'd probably still give it a wide berth for the rest of my all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had no real interest.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you get curious going to go how would it open your mind up in a kind of artistic kind of way, and what does it do and all that, But I just have no I've always been pretty good of not going down rabbit holes. I don't think there's a that's not going to end up anywhere it's gonna be good.
Speaker 6: Maybe when we do lost in translation, we should both take a tab of acid for that episode. But yeah, I have friends that love acid, and yeah, they tell you their stories of I just got I just ended up with this couple and we're in a went to a music concert and I didn't know where I was and then I just woke up in a puddle just in my andies the next morning, like they're laughing at me, Like I couldn't think. I think that's the worst thing I could think. I would much rather be in bed that entire time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have judgment for anyone who who who partakes. But yeah, and the OLDIO I mean when I was younger, you know, Yeah, there was some stuff. Yeah, absolutely, and then the I can't I can't be where I need to be if I'm doing this.
Speaker 2: And I was part of me.
Speaker 1: I stopped playing computer games when I was younger because I knew it would open up this kind of door of addiction and I wouldn't get I wouldn't end up writing jokes, get stuff, oldest, end up playing Marry I can't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, similar for me, I gave it. Yeah. Do your kids play now that that you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Occasionally might jump on and play a bit of NBA. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes before a Boston game, I get on and I make my sons be Boston and I'll be the opposition because I know they're going to beat me, So it's like an omen.
Speaker 2: I might have to get onto it for a game.
Speaker 6: Six. Have you created your own character yourself in.
Speaker 2: The I haven't gone that far. I haven't gone that far.
Speaker 1: But growing up, I was more into the Legis Larry, which I still think Adam Sandler should still do a live action Legis Larry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: My a friend of mine's dad used to play that and we'd have sleepover and we'd like watch.
Speaker 1: Sho there's full like pixelated yeah, pixel not pixelated, but pixels.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He didn't know we were there by the way. We were like sneaking in the dark watching him. He'd come home drunk from the pub and play.
Speaker 2: Very weird, very weird game, very weird game. Any more notes that.
Speaker 6: You want to you know you yeah, the as I said, there's no redeeming features of either the characters in that film, and there's it all. As I was watching us, like this all has to build up to something. This has all got a point about, you know, about the American dream and all this the acid, and it gets to the point at the end where he is because he's a reporter, he's writing his piece. Finally Del Toro's characters left and he's in this room on he's eye and you're like, okay, here's the big final piece.
Speaker 7: They're all worried into a survival trip. Now no more of the speed if fueled the sixty that was the fatal flow on tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America's only consciousness expansion without ever giving a thought to the grim meat hoook realities that we're lying in wait for all those people who took him seriously, all those pathetically eager, accid treats. You thought they could buy a piece and understanding three bucks a yead. But they're loss and failure as ours too. What literally took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create a generation of permanent cripples, failed secrets. We never understood the essential ortimistic fallacy of the house in culture, the desperate assumption. But somebody, or at least some force, it's tending late the end of the tunnel.
Speaker 6: I just found the end. I just found it that you know, when you you watch the character and if you really like them, that last scene, if they're narrating something and typing something out like murdery wrote or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was waiting, when's he going to get to murder? She wrote? It's the obvious link up.
Speaker 6: You're you're in it. You want it to be the big finale. But as he's talking and typing, I couldn't care less what he had to say about the American care because it didn't He never had me at any point.
Speaker 1: It's not what you want in your movie. The audience going I don't care what happened. I mean, you did well to kind of stay with it, considering you know usually, and you probably did it because you knew you're going to be talking about it.
Speaker 6: And I do appreciate it, and that's why we've discussed.
Speaker 2: So thank you for sticking with it.
Speaker 1: I missed looking up some fear and loathing and Las Vegas facts, some fun facts that we might be able to bring here are some things that you may not have known about fear and loathing.
Speaker 6: What I would like to know is you watch a film sometime. And I like movies, but I wouldn't say I'm a film buff, and I watch and I really pick it apart films I watch, I just watch it. I'd never walk out of a film. I don't care, you know, I watch it till the end, no matter what. But as when I finished it, I was like, is there something there that these cult following people will say, Oh, no, you've missed it. You've missed the point, You missed the point. There's a message there that you didn't see because you've never taken drugs. That's what I want to know. Is there something there that i've you know that I'm not saying.
Speaker 2: What has Dan missed?
Speaker 6: Is that a question on let us know.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if it's it's it's well, here's a connection between the two movies were one that we're going to discuss and the one that we did discuss. Bill Murray gave some acting advice.
Speaker 6: This is why I watched Fear and Loathing because this is exactly what I wanted you to read out. It was all a part of my plan.
Speaker 2: So nine and eighty. Bill Murray portrayed Hunter S.
Speaker 1: Thompson in the movie Where the Buffalo Roam, which is also based on Fear and Loathing in Fear and Loathing, but received less praising, less praise, and less attention. Murray also worked with depth on Edward four years prior to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Edward, directed by Tim Burton.
Speaker 6: All things aside, I know I've totally messed up your day.
Speaker 2: I want to go that far.
Speaker 6: There's some nice links there. Has it has been some nice.
Speaker 1: I don't think we ever realized how connected this it's been part of the same Marvel universe.
Speaker 6: At least keep going, I think we'll find more. Well.
Speaker 1: Murray advised to have to be careful or else he'd find himself playing the wacky character for the next ten years. Murray also told Depth to make sure his next starring film was as far from Thompson as possible to avoid being pigeonholed. He took its advice seriously, as seen in his next roles in The Ninth Gate and The Astronauts Wife, which was shit.
Speaker 6: I just think that character is I don't know how he could have been Pigeon. I feel like that's an easy character to go in and get out of again watching it, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's pretty unique kind of.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so different to his normally. Like, I think I think he's probably best in What's Eating Gilbert Gray, Like, I don't know if he's done much since that probably if Fear and Loathing ninety eight, like, has he done much that really stands out? He did when when was priest of the Caribbean Blockbusters, But.
Speaker 2: Donny Brasco might have been after this maybe.
Speaker 1: I mean, Dan, you say he hasn't done much, But did you see Sherlock Sherlock Gnomes.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and light. I mean it's only a voice still, he was on Murder on the Orange Express with everybody else.
Speaker 1: He did Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and then I think he might have been taken off that. He did a street looking Glass. He did the Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal movie where he played Donald Trump as a TV movie.
Speaker 6: Really yeah, okay, that's one.
Speaker 2: The lone ranger was he?
Speaker 6: What was that? Was he in the Bankrobber film? He was?
Speaker 2: Was that Black mass?
Speaker 6: No John Dillinger? Where was he John Dillon?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So that that was Michael Man.
Speaker 6: That wasn't a bad film.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, he's good.
Speaker 1: I mean he's made he's made some good films, and he's made some public enemies that was the one you're thinking of, and he's made some shockers. He's also in SpongeBob of SquarePants two thousand and nine, so you know, they're not all classics.
Speaker 6: But what's interesting now is what will he ever be able to do anything again. I don't have an interest in watching him going forward.
Speaker 2: It's tricky, isn't it. It is tricky.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens watch his space. Taboa Maguire's board look costs him fifteen thousand dollars because Tabia Maguire was the board dude in the back of the car.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's the same ball.
Speaker 2: He's got a hiker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's got long There was a few cameos in the film. Actually he's in it, Karon Diaz. Isn't it for a scene? Yeah, as a reporter in a lift, Gary Busey pops up.
Speaker 2: At one point Kave Busey didn't know who's been filmed?
Speaker 6: He okay, maybe him and Debt were hanging out at the time.
Speaker 1: Hundred stumpson, as he said to himself. He became good mates with Johnny Depp. Belinicio del Toro gain some weight, gained forty pounds. He plays Thoms' longtime friend Oscar Zetta Acosta, who drowned in the nineteen seventy four In real life, Terry Gilliam originally didn't get writer's credit for his scripts because he replaced the director Alex Cox, who made the films Repo, Man and Sid and Nancy after production was already under way. Terrek Gilliam seems to attract himself to messy projects. He seems to you don't have this, whether they get messy under his watch or he replaces people. The cocks left over creative differences from the Gillian to rewrite the script in a few short days to accommodate his visual style, which is fair enough. You know, if you want to take over the project, you get the right to make some changes. Mate, this movie comes with homework. You didn't do your maths homework, but you did your science. Sincerely, no, thank you, thank you. This is it's been fun. We're almost going to pull up stumps and go, well, we can't. We can't do anything here. But I think we've done well to navigate them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I sincerely apologize.
Speaker 2: But are you usually good at reading messages?
Speaker 6: It's my bread and butter, and I'm normally I'm normally on time as well, and I failed at both.
Speaker 2: You're only a couple of minutes, Like, yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm a stickler for a couple of but I would like to be five minutes early, if anything. And maybe if I was five minutes early, we could have watched a film. Oh, I just I was so pumped. I was watching that film. I was like doing my research. Oh yeah, this is the greatest film I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: But back, because you've watched a film that was sound like reasonably tough work.
Speaker 6: But if you've got to take anything away from the days you read your messages, because that's it, that's just go back, read it again.
Speaker 2: Your eyes across your t's, yeah, across the detail.
Speaker 6: I don't think I've ever felt I can't remember the last time, maybe like a project at school where I've missed a crucial bit of information. But when I saw all your notes and you said all right, lost in translation, my my stomach has never dropped quicker. I was like I was on a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Was it a feeling you got when you went to school and you realize as your mum drove your off, knowing that you didn't have time to go home, and it was casual closed, exactly when you're in your uniform.
Speaker 6: Times ten or like you you had the date for a project to be handed in on time and everybody else has got theirs there and you're not. You're sweet.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we've done very well. It's been it's been a lot of fun. Ma, congratulations on even through a pandemic. Your star is rising, gutless wonder is it still? Is it still touring?
Speaker 6: I'm just about to launch Australia w two years So fantastic, starting on July fifteenth, in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Massive reviews out of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. Good to see you adding shows into Melbourne and all around the country. If you see Daniel Connell playing a town that you do yourself a favorite, check him out, make sure you get the rights, make sure you've got.
Speaker 6: The right time, and if you don't, I will not be angry. Yeah I can't have a go.
Speaker 2: You might end up at hughsy show something.
Speaker 1: Whenever you're on you see him on on TV doing stand up or just anything. Just check him out, get behind him, follow him on Instagram.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just Daniel Connell comedy.
Speaker 2: Daniel Connell comedy. It's all there. It's all there.
Speaker 6: Thanks mate, Thanks, thanks very much for being so nice and getting us through. It was really fun. It was still really fun. I was glad there was a few links there that ted a few things because.
Speaker 1: None of us really were aware of how how super connected Lost in Translation is with Fear and Loathing Las Vegas.
Speaker 6: That's one positive to come out of the day.
Speaker 1: Now we know, well, you said there was a Cameron Diaz. He's one more for the road. You said there was a Cameron Diaz cameo in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I think she plays a TV reporter in Lost in Translation, there's a character played by Anna Faris who's this kind of for one of a better term, did see kind of Hollywood star blonde, and she kind of she gets she gets along with Scleto Hansen's husband, Giovanni Rabizi, and there's she it's a bit uncomfortable because Scullion Hands is kind of there and she's kind of going, you know, just praising, you know, I'm being very Hollywood and the bit that sunds maybe a bit fake. You're not sure it's fake or genuine. And supposedly because the whole Loston translation, Scalio Hansen's character is based on Sophia Coppola and her marriage with Spike Jones, the director, and reportedly that character that Anna Faris plays is based on Cameron Dean. Really that she has since said that it's untrue and it's actually a combination of people, but that means it's definitely But it gives us.
Speaker 2: Another link between us and Translation and Fear and Loathing Las.
Speaker 6: Vegas, which is exactly what we needed to find.
Speaker 2: I think this is what the new podcast is going to be now.
Speaker 1: I watched one film, my guest watches another, and then we work out what the connection is.
Speaker 6: You send a list of six movies and see which ones, and we just hope that it's opens the same one.
Speaker 2: We cross our fingers don't and.
Speaker 6: Your guess has to not read the message underneath No under yeah, what you choose. We can't read what you chose at any point.
Speaker 1: No, that's a new podcast next week, Daniel Connell, thanks for your time.
Speaker 6: Thanks Pete cheers.
Speaker 4: There was only one rule back to my age Us and Steak fifteen, that was how we deal with things that you ain't seen nothing yet. It wasn't the ideal start, but I love Dan, He's such a funny, lovely guy, and I thought we made up maybe our first twenty minute edition if you ain't seen Nothing yet. But I think we managed to navigate through the weirdness of Dan watching the wrong movie, and we spoke about fear and loathing in Las Vegas and apologies for those who loved that movie, and maybe we haven't done.
Speaker 2: It the justice that it deserves.
Speaker 1: It Well, apologize when we come back to it, maybe maybe way down the track. But Dan had his notes and had his thoughts on the movie. I tried to help out by recollecting my thoughts of seeing the movie that I was reasonably underwhelmed with many years ago. But there was plenty of Johnny depth to talk and Terry Gilliam and drug taking in general. So thank you Dan once again, and we will cover loss in translation at another time.
Speaker 2: It is a wonderful movie and deserves a deep dive into that.
Speaker 1: Only two more episodes ago for this season before we take a very quick break. It won't be as long as the break we took over summer. It'll be like a couple of weeks. I'll let you know more details next week. We have a wonderful friend of mine, somebody who's a genuine presence on the Australian show Be Seen, and that is Hamish McDonald, Yes, the host of the Sunday Project and often comes in when Walid has an upset tummy. And he is such a lovely guy, a smart guy, such integrity, is funny, thoughtful, and he's watching a movie and I have no idea if he's gonna love it, and it's one of my favorite movies. In fact, I think I consider this almost a perfect movie.
Speaker 2: Is it a classic?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a cult classic from two thousand and two from Paul Thomas Anderson. We have covered Boogie Nights, We've covered There Will be Blood. This is the third Paul Thomas Anderson movie we are covering, Punch Drunk Love, Adam Sandler, Emily Watson. It's Adam Sandler's our first serious movie role and the one that just set a new standard for what he is capable of dramatically. I love Port Thomas Anderson. I love Adam Sandler. I love this movie. If you haven't seen it, please watch it. Please watch it before you listen to the podcast. I know some people don't always watch a movie before I listen to the podcasts. Watch this movie before you listen to Hamish McDonald and myself took Punstrunk Love. Next week's also I got my double Ganger, the late great Philip Simohoffman.
Speaker 2: It is wonderful.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 1: Also, get on to our speak Pipe through all the links on the pages. You just go to speak Pipe and you can leave us a message. We're loving it. We're in a bit of a rush right now, so we're not going to do one right now, but we heard from Amy last week and who knows.
Speaker 2: We may he from you next week.
Speaker 1: Any questions, feedback requests, get him under speak Pipe and also go to the iTunes page and give us a rating. I recommend five. It just helps the algorithm. I know it's you know, ask King is not cool, leave a review, a five star rating. It just helps keep the podcast moving in the in the interwebs, and it just helps. So if you can do that, I would really appreciate it. Casway Studios is where we are. Derek my thank you very much for everything you do putting this podcast together. Two weeks to go, but next week ham Is McDonald past rank, love poor Thomas Anderson.
Speaker 2: Until then, take care
Speaker 6: And so we leave old Pete, save fan soul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.