Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson. I'm a lawyer and health coach, social media influencer, wife and dog mum. On the Rise and Conquer Podcast, we dive deep into all things mindset, habits, career, health, relationships and more. This is a podcast for women who want to rise up to be the best version of themselves, who have big dreams in who are willing to put in the work to get there. I want to bring you the tools and actionable steps to feel confident in yourself, inspired to take bold action, and motivated to conquer your goals. Are you with me? Your friends, Let's rise and conquer. Hi, guys, and welcome to the Rise and Conquered Podcasts. I'm so excited. I have a very special guest for you, one who you have asked for and I was fangirling the whole time I was interviewing her. I have savonn Eila Richards. Savann is a Los Angeles native living in the Valley with her two dogs, Olive and Layla, her husband Paul, and her baby girl, Capri. She began her blog in twenty eleven with the objective of sharing realistic approaches to style, home decort, beauty, cooking, cocktail creation, crafting, and now mothering. With an unfiltered voice, Savann tries to create contact that provides value to her community by sharing personal experiences while finding luxury in everything along the way. Savan shares everything with her audience, which I think is a big reason why we love her so much and we are always wanting more. Today we chat about how Savan started blocking, how it became so successful, how she keeps such an engaged audience, and also the download on being a new working mum with her baby Capri. I had so much fun recording this episode and I know you guys are going to love it. Hi, Savan, how are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? Thank you, Thank you so much for coming on the podcast. I am so excited to have you here.
Speaker 2: My gosh, thanks for having me. This is my first podcast.
Speaker 1: Ever, is it really? Yeah? I've never done this before, just took your podcast, Virginity, So I'm excited.
Speaker 2: You did as a first or everything.
Speaker 1: I love that so I cannot wait to get into all the exciting and juicy questions I put on my Instagram story that I was interviewing you, and I had so many excited people with so many good questions. So we're going to get into the good stuff. But before that, as this is the Rise and Conquer podcast, what is one thing big or small that you are rising up and conquering this week?
Speaker 2: Well this week if you follow along with my stories, you totally get this. But this might sound simple, but I've come to learn that the simple things are just as challenging sometimes as the hard things. And one of the things I'm challenging myself to this week is putting the things in my closet away. I feel like every single human being on this planet can sympathize with me on this when I say that our closets become piles of you know, clothes and discards and trash and hangtags. And it's gotten to a point where it's become part of my weekly challenge to figure out time to put my clothes away. So one of the things I'm dealing with this week is getting myself organized and putting my clothes away.
Speaker 1: That is so great. And I have seen his stories about pull lasing his shit over it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not even joking you. He's thrown to divorce me. He's like if you and also like threaten to like leave me home on vacations. If you don't put the clothes away by the end of this day, you're not coming to Mexico. I have long threads howpen over the closet.
Speaker 1: See. I kind of get it because my husband, Tim is a total like neat freak, and we just moved house and we have a walking robe for the first time and he's like the exact same. He's like got all his things in his little place and then like I'll just like chuck close and he will like go and pick them up and be like you can't just do that. I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So yeah, No, it's funny because men are sometimes the opposite and I just happened to get a guy who is like completely OCD and neurotic about these things. So leave it to me and it gets stuck with something like that when I have this closet problem.
Speaker 1: Yep, no food, I'm the exact the same. And it's funny because I'm like kind of because I know Tim is such like a neat freak, I kind of like am a bit more chill because I would, like, I know he kind of like, does it.
Speaker 2: M exactly exactly?
Speaker 1: Okay, awesome, So let's get straight into it. So you've built this incredible online brand and really like loyal community. That's something that I've noticed about your community is they're very engaged, they're very invested, which is amazing. So how did this whole online blog and brand stop?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So basically, I started my blog as a creative outlet while I was still working a traditional nine to five job. I was in the fashion industry, working in wholesale, and it was just not enjoyable by any means. And I don't like to get into too much detail, obviously, but I like to just mention the fact that I wasn't working with people that were very nice, and I felt like I was creatively very stunted, and I just wasn't really feeling fulfilled. So I started my blog as a hobby on the side, and I had been following a handful of girls that I feel like kind of put blogging on the map at the time, and I just realized that you could have a career with it. That's not why I started it, and I think that's a big reason why it is where it is today because I didn't go into it for money. I went into it for purely passion and for the love of being creative and having complete creative freedom to do what I wanted. And so I did it kind of for my boyfriend who's now my husband at the time, and my mom and I had probably two readers, and I still was pumping out content almost every single day. And I feel like remaining consistent and doing it purely because I loved it really helped it reach to where it reached where it is today.
Speaker 1: And so what year did you start the bloke?
Speaker 2: I started in twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's crazy, so good. Eight years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a very long time. And for the first few years, I would say I really had a low readership. It wasn't anything to brag about, let's just put it that way. But I just felt like I was doing it for myself and that's what kept it going. And I obviously reached a point where I was putting so much time and energy into it that Paul, my husband, had to eventually be like, look, do you want to pursue this as a career, because if that's the case, you need to take it to the next level. And do something to kind of elevate things and speed it up. So I had to eventually let go of everything I was doing and take a giant risk, and it paid off, obviously, because now I'm here and I do this full time and it's amazing. It's amazing that this is my job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing. And so Instagram obviously came after. That's kind of noting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it came after, and it really wasn't. It's funny you mentioned that because yesterday I was kind of taking a walk down memory lane on my Instagram page and I scrolled all the way back to my very first post, which I didn't realize Instagram was a social platform. I thought it was an app to help you edit your photos with filters. So like first caption was this app is phenomenon. Like I was just talking to myself about how great the app was. So yeah, I had no idea that people could see my photos or my captions. And so it's funny because it took a while before that realization happened. And then I kind of put two and two together and I started seeing the bloggers that I was following on the computer on Instagram, and it like dawned on me like, oh, wow, people can see what I'm posting, I should probably post something interesting or say something interesting at least. And I think I went through a long period of time where I was just posting whatever whenever. There was really no rhyme or reason or strategy behind it. You know, it just wasn't aligned with my actual site. And it took a long time for me to realize that. So Instagram was a whole other beast.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And so you obviously never intended to become an influencer. That kind of just happened. And I did see on your stories that you said that I think it was a trip to Capri or we don't know. Yeah, like, I think this is the holiday that put me on the map as like an influencer. And so did you kind of see when you changed your content sort of you know, in influx of followers and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So the first instance I realized I was gaining momentum on Instagram was my wedding in Greece. The second time was when I went to Italy the following summer and we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary. I was gaining a lot of momentum on Instagram, and so I obviously the two things in common there are travel and it was you know, destinations that are naturally so beautiful, and content is flowing freely everywhere you go. You just find something photogenic to take a photo of, and your living your best life. Obviously, so things are interesting. But my Italy trip specifically, I think there was something about the content there that people love on Instagram. I think Italy in general is one of those places where if you're in Italy and you're either using the flag emoji or you're hashtagging Italy or geotagging Italy, I think that there's something that registers and in Instagram that you're either thrown on the explore page or people are searching for, because engagement was at an all time high for me there at the time, at least.
Speaker 1: Because it's like, I guess, you know, a dream sort of destination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely a dreamy place to be, and it kind of makes it really easy for your content to look cohesive and flow. Unintentionally because back then I didn't really know the whole beauty behind a cohesive feed or an aesthetic. I really would just put up whatever I felt like at the time, and it could be like varying styles basically, but when you're in Italy, somehow, some way, all your content is just cohesive. It flows, It's just naturally mapped out and perfect without even trying.
Speaker 1: And it probably helps that you're having an amazing time.
Speaker 2: Too, exactly so, and let's sprits is the umbrellas that you know, everything in Italy is just so gorgeous, but it's just cohesive too.
Speaker 1: What do you think you were previously just talking about You said you had no strategy and what is your strategy now with your blog and Instagram? Do you kind of have one or do you kind of just go off feelings and what your audience wants? Like, what do you think makes it successful? Now?
Speaker 2: Well, after so much trial and error, I feel like I now know what my audience is the most receptive to. So while I try to keep things very like in the moment and unfiltered and raw, I also know that there's certain things that people are interested in, so for instance, my home, my baby recipes. There's certain things that I just know that I emphasize in my life. So obviously I've got a lot more going on than what you see on the camera. But I know that when people want to see specific topics, I make a point of showing more of that. People love my husband. They think he's funny, and you know, we're always poking fun at each other, and he really plays a huge part in everything that I showcase on my social media. So you know, there's a little bit of strategy behind what I post. But for the most part, I think that we just kind of know we focus in on the categories that people are most interested in to keep them engaged. Yep.
Speaker 1: So you're just going off your audience and what sort of works best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I feel like, you know, I want I want to give people what they want, and I don't want to have to force it. So for me, I think the reason it works is because it's organically happening. We're not setting up these situations or you know, going out and creating a setting like we're actually living in these settings. We're having these actual conversations, and that's what makes the content appealing to people. I think, because it ends up coming across very relatable because it's everyday situations that happen to everyday people. I'm not living a super lavish life or wearing only designer. And I think that my life is just very relatable to people, which is ultimately why I think people want to come back for more. They want to see today what's going on in my life that they can relate to.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, I couldn't agree more. That's something I personally, I you know, I have this podcast on YouTube, but I'm bigger on Instagram and it's definitely more the fitness and health angle. But I got to ask the exact same question, and for me, I'm very much an everyday girl where you know, I'm into fitness and health, but it's not like my main priority. And I still have a husband and I've got dogs, and it's all very like relatable and real, which obviously like like it just people can relate to it, so it makes it easy content to consume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, So what like three.
Speaker 1: Tips that you could give someone if they wanted to start an online brand and community.
Speaker 2: I'd say three things to start your online brand and community would be one, have a voice. I think that a lot of people associate bloggers with beautiful pictures and that's it. And I think that if you really want to make a difference, grow an audience, stand for something, represent something you know, just be different than everyone else. I think you have to have a voice that just this differentiates you from everyone else. I just personally don't have any interest in following someone who's purely pretty pictures. I want to see personality. I want to hear your voice. I want to hear if you have a sense of humor that I relate to. You, know, like, I want to know more about the person. I don't want to just see a curated image. The second thing i'd say is be authentic and original. I know that's probably super cliche to say, but I do feel like it's a very saturated industry, and I do still think there's room for everyone to do what they want to do. But if you're trying to replicate someone or steal someone's formula that works for them, thinking it's going to work for you, I feel like there's going to be a seiling for you and people will see right through that. And I personally think that remaining authentic and true to yourself is obviously the only thing you could do at this point that's different than someone else. Because almost everything in this universe has been done or designed, or created or invented, and so in this space specifically, it's like your personality and your voice is really all you have. Yeah, so that to me is super important. And then three, I think having value, adding value to someone's life is also really important. So as a blogger, I you know, I follow a bunch of bloggers and I've read a bunch of blogs over the years, and I feel like I always drew inspiration from these girls. And I looked at the topics they were talking about and was like, Wow, that's really interesting. But I have a different take on it, So let me make a similar blog post. But you know, give my opinions or my views, and adding value to people is really the key if you're going to have a blog specifically, because like I just said, everyone kind of talks about those blogger topics so to say, so you know, like we all say, here's your Italy travel guide, or you know, ten jackets to where this winter, or what I'm packing to Coachella. We're all kind of talking about the same topics. But if you can take that and add value to someone somewhere, I feel like that's what's going to make you successful as a blogger. You can't just give people like surface level information.
Speaker 1: I love that those three tips were amazing, and so just touching more on being authentic. So what if someone doesn't know, you know, they don't know their style yet they don't know what they like. Would you recommend just sort of trialing things out and seeing how they go, or how would someone go about that?
Speaker 2: I have two thoughts on that. My first one is I don't feel like anyone should really have to figure out what they like. You either know you like it or you don't like it. And that could just be me because I'm very decisive. I know right away when I like something and when I don't like something, so it's not like I have to go out looking for it. But as far as like your style goes, it's kind of like what feels natural to you. There's like trends, for instance, like dad sneakers. I despise them at the minute I saw them. I don't care who's wearing them. I don't care which designer made them, I don't give a fuck. Like those are ugly to me and you will not see me rocking them, and I feel like I'm literal sorry.
Speaker 1: Money and tim, which this exact same topic, like free days great, and he's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, like it's just it's like one of those things like I just knew right away that wasn't for me. And even though it's popular and maybe if I hashtag the right thing, I would get more likes my photos or maybe you would get a different audience, it's not me. It's not who I am, and so there's no way I can do that to myself. So that's just like one very simple example of you know, I don't conform to things because they're in or trendy or cool or whatever. I personally just stick to what I know what I like, and I think that that register is true and authentic to my audience.
Speaker 1: I love that. No, you explain that, so love And so one last question just about the blog. I personally love blogs. I follow blogers. I'm a big fan. I definitely look at your blog for food and fashion and skincare and just like Daily Life inspurs all about that book.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yet I know that lots of people are saying the traditional blogs are dead. What is your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: I definitely have heard that, and when I first heard it, I was kind of sad because I'm like, wait, but honestly, writing my blog is one of my favorite parts of being a blogger, and I do still call myself a blogger, even though we've got this new term influencer, which I feel like embodies are pretty good. It's just a good description for what people are doing on social media these days. I feel like I personally like to identify with the term blogger better because I do put so much time and effort and energy into my blog, and I feel like I always want to provide value to my readers, so I spend a lot of time coming up with topics that either are not discussed or if I think I have an interesting take on something. So I think that traditional blogging in the sense that you're just putting out like that surface level content we talked about, I think that's dead. I think that that's, you know, a diamond dozen. We don't really need that anymore, especially with Instagram. But I think that if you're a blogger that's pumping out like valuable content that people want to read, I don't think it's dead. I think that, you know, brands also are still really interested in reading blog posts about reviews and their products and their services, So I think there's still a lot to be done on blogs, but I feel like it just depends on the blogger and the kind of content you're writing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I couldn't agree more. And something I've even noticed with just me and my taste and blogs is I'm very used to look at and read a lot of blogs where you kind of didn't even know the face behind the blog. It was more like this like concept, I guess, Whereas now I follow and read a lot of blogs because I know the person and even though I don't know the person, but I feel like I have this you know, connection with this person and it's very personal and you're trusting you know their taste and that sort of thing. So I couldn't agree more. Right, So I want to move on, and I want to talk to you about your beautiful little girl Capri personally like not maternal at all. I'm like that odd person who I'm only twenty four, but I don't know, Like all my friends are like, oh my god, babies, I'm like, oh, I don't know, just not a fan. I didn't think that. I think great and I'm like, hmm, maybe I could have children so gorgeous. And I loved watching your whole pacy and just kind of going through the journey with you. So I want to ask you, so, what's life like after your first baby?
Speaker 2: Well, first off, thank you so much obviously as a mother. Now there's that thing I love hearing more than someone telling me that they think my baby's cute.
Speaker 1: I could imagine.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's like my greatest compliment these days. But life after baby is it's definitely challenging, it's amazing, and it's very rewarding. One thing I didn't really think that I would recognize in being a mother is how fulfilling it feels to take care of somebody, because, like you just said, you're not maternal. I'm not maternal at all. There's not one maternal bone in my body. This when Paul when he's sick, I'm like, no, no, no, you can You'll be fine, you'll live.
Speaker 1: It's literally Whenning was like wake me up, it was like four of the morning because he walked Ellie and he's like, oh, I'm feeling a bit sick, and I was like, why did you wake me? Yeah? A person, So I resonate with Yes.
Speaker 2: I can relate. I mean, I just I don't know, like I've never been that kind of person that's a caretaker, and so I was very concerned about that. To be honest, I didn't know what would happen when I had her. And it's been amazing to kind of see how my body just clicks into the role of being a mother and taking care of her and it's my priority. And so it's definitely I think it just clicks. I think people say that all the time. You don't know what that means, but when it happens to you, you just you get it and you know it. But you know, as far as everything goes in life, I feel like having her has just been the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Speaker 1: And oh g commertional, I'm like crazy at all. I'm like, really about this.
Speaker 2: Well, your hormones get all fucked up, so you become this like emotional, like mushy person. All my girlfriends are like, who are you.
Speaker 1: Honey?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, So but it's amazing. But were you asking me about career stuff or just like in life.
Speaker 1: Well we'll get into that, but I also I also wanted to ask you, say, like, how did you know that you wanted to start having children? Like how did that sort of come back, because how old are you? If you don't mind me asking.
Speaker 2: I'm thirty one. I think I'm twenty five, but thirty one. But yeah, this question has been asked multiple times, and really the answer is I didn't know that I was ready. It was more something that just happened. And yes, I'm fully admitting it was an accident, but I have no shame. I don't care. It's, you know, obviously the best thing that's ever happened, so I will own that. But it was one of those things where Paul and I just kind of like looked at our lives and realized that we've traveled a bunch. We were secure in the sense or we owned a home, and we felt very comfortable in our careers, and we both felt like we've achieved a lot of personal goals that we didn't feel like having a child would ever hold us back or you know, make us feel like we're missing out on something, or we didn't fully like give it our all before settling down like that, because obviously a child is a huge commitment and responsibility and it's going to change your life whether you like it or not. So we personally felt like we were in a good place if we were to have a child, it was going to be fine. And we had not that we've been trying, but it had been a few years since we got married. I want to say it was three years, and we kind of looked at each other and we're like, well, like, do we want to have a child? And we said, okay, next year if like it doesn't happen naturally, like let's sit down and actually talk about it with like a doctor or whatever. Next year. And then literally like that week if yeah, like that same week that we had made this decision, Yeah, I got pregnant. I didn't know for the next six weeks. But it's just crazy how that happens. It's just like you put things out into the universe, and I feel like when you don't stress about them and you don't fixate on them and obsess over them, I feel like things just kind of fall into place. So that's how that happened. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This podcast is brought to you by Naked Half As Supplements, a female first Vacan all natural supplement brand. Their all natural pre workout plus fatburning blend will elevate your performance and optimize your day. It is unique as it will enhance your mood, give you the any you need to conquer your workout, but without the jitters and crash that usual pre workouts give you. I personally use this pre workout every single day fifteen minutes before my workout and generally love it. I could not recommend it enough, but don't take it for me. Here's a testimonial from a real life customer. Candice says, I stopped taking pre workout six months ago due to the effects it had on my nervous system and the side effects of the added nasties. I first tried the Naked Harvest supplement this morning, and so far I am loving it. It's been four hours and I have not experienced a crash of any kind, and I had so much energy during my workout I cannot wait to continue using it. If you also need some natural energy for your workout but without the crash, try Naked Harvest Supplements. The Rise and Conquer listeners get a special discount of fifteen percent off with the code Rise and Conquer. Go to Naked half supplements dot com or check out their Instagram at Naked Harvest Supplements and I will leave all the discount codes and links in the show notes. Now, let's get straight back into the episode. What are some things that have been big adjustments that you kind of weren't prepared to after having Capri.
Speaker 2: One of the adjustments I had to make was really disciplining myself when I came to work, because I have always been a very disciplined person, and I've always been self employed, so I kind of always knew what it took to be structured and work from home. But today it's like one of the biggest challenges is because she's home and I'm home and I have help, and all I want to do is spend time with her when she's awake, and it's just very, very challenging, and I never expected this to be the case for me, Like I have to like be really really selective about how I spend my time these days. So if it means skilled events because I need to be home for her bedtime, or canceling a shoot because she's just not feeling well, there's just, you know, sacrifices you make, and you can't ever foresee those things happening. You don't know when they're going to pop up. And that's been a challenge in something that I just didn't really expect. I didn't expect to really ever feel like I'm putting work on the back burner for anything. But you know, you do what you have to do. She's my priority.
Speaker 1: And so do you have any advice for soon to be moms out there who are in their own business who was self employed?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm going to sound like such a ugy bitch right now, but I just have to say it, like I got a night nurse, and it was something that's super foreign to my to me because my husband and I did not grow up with nanny or a night nurse or any of those things. Like we were just you know, we had our parents.
Speaker 1: Can I quickly ask, what is a night mess?
Speaker 2: Yes, so a night nurse is a basically, it's a night nanny. It's someone who specializes in like infants, and they come to your house as soon as you want them to, like we had ours come basically right when we came home from the hospital. We didn't know what we'd want at first, because we're like, oh, we should try to do it ourselves, you know, like come home. But after you're in the hospital for three days and you're sleep deprived, you obviously like the shock of your life just happened. You need sleep more than anything in the world when you get home. And I personally called our night nurse was like, never mind, you're coming the day we come home from the hospital. We were being way too ambitious here, and so a night nurs comes at night, and basically they're all different, obviously, but ours came from nine pm and she stayed until seven am. And basically what it did was give us the peace of mind to go to sleep, sleep soundly, and know that our baby's taken care of. Her feedings were going to happen, she was going to get changed, and if she woke up, then there's going to be someone to soothe her back to bed. And obviously, this is my first baby, so I didn't really know what to expect, but we happened to get super, super lucky and get a child that loves to sleep. So she was a very easy baby, and even our night nurse was like, wow, your baby is insanely easy. And there was times where we were just like, we know, we're just wasting the money, throwing it in the garbage, basically because she's such an easy baby. But it's also the peace of mind, like Yeah, we knew when we had her we could sleep well, which meant in the moarning, you're happier, you're more energized, you're enjoying your time with your baby, you're not frustrated, you have a clear mind, you can work. So it was very, very, very crucial for us to be well rested, especially in the beginning when she's such a new baby. It's such a new concept to us that we felt like we truly enjoyed like every moment of her coming home and being a baby, and we were just so happy. And I feel like without sleep, that would have been a very different extpt experience for me. So being self employed, I depend on sleep. I need to work from home. I need to be awake and sharp. And that was what really did it for me, is having a night nurse.
Speaker 1: I love that. So you're kind of giving the advice of when you need help, get help.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely. I think that so many moms they feel so guilty all that mom shame stuff, and it's like in the mom guilt and I feel like that's just such bullshit. Like it's twenty nineteen and we women work and men work, and it's just one of those things like it's the human body. We need rest, we need sleep, and I don't think anyone is designed to operate properly on you know, no sleep.
Speaker 1: I love that you're breaking that stereotype. Like I feel like you said, like we live in this world and it's not just the women stay at home and look after baby, like we work as well, and so I feel like you would have known that you might have got a bit of judgment from that. I love that you're just like, fuck it, I need this my business. I'm gonna do this. Like I kind of even experienced a little bit of the same. I have like a cleaner, and so I grew up like my mom was a stay at home mum, and so like when I told her I have a cleaner, she was like shocked to the core, not shocked. I work from home, and so so many people like didn't understand it. But I was like, yeah, but I work, like I don't have time, you know, and T only comes once every fortnight. But I even felt because I had a cleaner, but I was like, no, I need this, like I work full time, Tim works full time, Like it's not easy to just do it all. And so I love that you're breaking that stereotype, and it's being transparent about it.
Speaker 2: There's people that do all these things behind the scenes and pretend like they don't have the help, and you know, because that's like what you quote unquote should do and you know what's expected of you, and you know, social media is, in my opinion, a great place to really like shed light on what's actually happening, and a lot of people want to hide the reality of what's happening and make things look so prim and proper and perfect, and we all know like having babies, it's messy, it's dirty, it's not always pretty, and you know the reality of raising a baby it's difficult, it's challenging, you cry, you are dirty, you have spit up on you. You know, Like, I just don't see the reason to hide all that. I think it's so much more comforting when you're honest about things and then people can like know that there's other people out there experiencing the same things and you can talk about it, and then just having that comfort to me, it just makes me feel a lot better. I love when I can kind of share a challenging situation and my audience responds like, oh my gosh, Thank god you said that, because I thought I was the only one going through this, and it's so nice to know that someone else is dealing with the same things. So exact, I have no Yeah, I have no problem sharing that I ask for help when I need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I love that amazing. Okay, And so I want to ask you, and this is might be a bit of a selfish question, just because I'm obviously married to Tim, and it is sometimes hard juggling a career, especially intertwined with social media, because you can make the excuse of when you're on your phone, you're like, oh, this is work, I need to be doing this, but it can sometimes you know, af fetch your relationships and all that sort of stuff. So I just wanted you to go in, what is life like, you know with I want to call him Richard, but yeah, and so what's life like with Paul? Do you guys have any like sort of boundaries with your phones or anything like that with social media?
Speaker 2: Well, he's a stage mom, so for him, like the more or I share, the better he loves it. I think it's funny because people would expect it to be the other way around. People think, oh, se Vaughan's the actual influencer, so she's probably on her phone all day and that's like a very common question. We have a lot, you know, don't you get so frustrated with her on her phone all the time. And it's actually funny because it's almost like he's the one being more pushy about me being on the phone more. That's good because you know, he's super supportive and he feels like he thinks I'm hilarious, so he always wants to document all the like the ridiculous things that I say and do, and you know, I don't always think to grab my phone in those moments, but he does. And so I think that it's an unspoken role in our house where it's just kind of like we know when it's time to put the phones away and when it's fine to have them out. Basically, at night, we like to have dinner together and catch up about our day because Paul works a traditional job. He's an entertainment attorney, so he's, you know, at work all day. I'm here all day doing my thing, and then at the end of the day we come together, we have dinner, we'll eat and then sometimes at the end of dinner, it's like we'll have a funny conversation and I'll almost recap it for my stories. So sometimes you'll see me at the dinner table snapping. But for the most part, it's like we know that that's like our alone time. It's how we spend quality time together catching up and we always have things to talk about, which I think is it's a whole different topic, actually, but it's just nice that we can always have that time to ourselves and we carve out time for each other and it's like the cameras are not on and that's our alone time. But I feel like for the most part, we just kind of know what each other's boundaries are and when it's like okay to have the phone on, and when it's like okay, it's too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that, And I love how supportive he is of you and your business and your career. It's really lovely.
Speaker 2: It really is a nice feeling. I know a lot of girls that they tell me that their white friends or husbands get really irritated by it, and I just can't imagine. I feel like I would be so discouraged if that's how my significant other was, just because it's like, you spend so much time with them that you want to feel like they're okay with it and that they're comfortable with it and they're supporting it. I would I just I honestly don't think I could do it without his support.
Speaker 1: Yes, one hundred percent amazing. Okay, So I want to ask one last question, and this is because I feel like Instagram has really or even just social media in general, even blogs like at the moment or recently, have really gone in the way of, you know, everyone's wearing designer stuff, and it kind of puts an image, especially for like younger girls who don't necessarily have this sort of money, and they'll go out and blow the whole entire pay on your Knowscucci back, yeah, and stuff like that instead of saving. Like, I feel like social media has really taken this turn where it's very much about branded things and looking a certain way and that sort of thing. And I know you do love like design of things, but then you also love a good bargain. I'm much like you in that way, and so you kind of in between that sort of look, and so I just wanted to get your advice on for others, like, what is your take on the whole getting caught up in the you know, design a thing on social media and what are your rules on spending?
Speaker 2: Okay, so for me, designer has always been something I love. I've always loved fashion, even as a young girl, and I always knew that if I wanted something really frivolous or extravagant or beyond my means, that I was going to have to save for it. So I got a job as early as I possibly could. My best friend and I who's still my best friend today, at fifteen years old, we went and got boutique jobs just so we could support our shopping addiction because our parents were obviously like, you girls are fifteen, why do you need to have anything the time is juicy gutur? You know, we died for juicy coutur. And our parents were not down to bias like two hundred dollars like sweatpants. So, you know, like that was instilled in me from the beginning, like if I wanted something that was expensive or just designer, it was going to have to be on my heart earned dollar. And at the end of the day, if I was okay blowing my money like that, then that was on me. But obviously now as a grown up and I have responsibilities, and I have bills, and I have to budget. I kind of have to make sure that I'm living within my means. And thankfully Paul is a finance major, so he's always been really on me about, you know, making sure that at the end of the day, all my bills must be paid. I have to put some money away in the savings, and then what's left over for my like fun money or my play money is what I'm allowed to spend, and that to me is super important. So I even to this day, if I want something that's super expensive, even if I can afford it without having to go through the whole motion of like mapping out my money to the dollar, I still have to like go home and think about it and make sure that it's worth it and it's something that I'm going to use long term and it's not just a trendy like in the moment purchase. I think that today there's so many cute things Gucci, for example, like they just pump out shit left and right that is so cute. Every time I walk by, I'm like, oh, so many cute things. But I am not afraid to say that I have purchased one or two things from there that I feel like like I just jumped the gun. I went too fast and I was like, fuck, now that's trendy and I'm not even like that into it anymore, and I feel guilty about it. And now I have to look at that bag sitting there being like shit, I should have bought something else because that was like an impulse buy. So when you're gonna buy designer, I feel like you need to really make sure it's something that is a classic piece. You're gonna love it for a long time. It's obviously within your means. Don't like blow your whole rent money on a bag. I think that's really silly. Just be why about those kinds of things. I'm definitely about treating yourself, but I think you have to do it in a reasonable way if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, one hundred percent. And I love what you said about getting clear, so you know, paying your bills, putting some money away from tax or rent or all that sort of stuff, and then being clear about what you can spend. And then when you do go and spend that money, it feels like really good because you're like, you know you can.
Speaker 2: Of course I think that, like I've made purchases in the past, like don't like, don't be confused, Like I wasn't always responsible with my money. I was one of those people. This was like in my early twenties, I was living paycheck to paycheck. I would buy things well beyond my means and I would be racking up credit card debt just so I could buy like nice things. And it was almost like it took Paul to realize what I was doing. And he was like, what's wrong with you? You have no savings, You're buying all these designer things. You're blowing your money on designer things, and you can't afford your bills, Like what is problem? Like how are you not seeing what you're doing wrong here? And I was like wait what? And I was so shocked by the whole thing you like, and then we kind of yeah, it was like I needed like a reality check really And now, I mean, the way I view money is so different than when I was younger, And I think as you get older, you start to like understand the value of money more. And even though I had to work for it, I was blowing it. I was like, what am I doing here? So yeah, I think it's all about just being smart about it, make good choices, live within your means. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. You know, that's just plain and simple how it should go. But I know how girls are, and like you said, social media makes everything look so appealing and everyone left and right is carrying like a Chanel. I just bought my first Chanel last week, and I was really really like holding out on that one because it's so expensive.
Speaker 1: Yes, one hundred per said, I think that's such a good idea. I definitely like before any designer purchases. Not that I buy it that like much, but I definitely like had to give myself time and be like really think about it, and because I'm like that where I want things like in the moment and I want it now, but then if like I wait a week or two, and then it kind of cools off and I'm like, oh, I don't really actually want that, or like I really stalled that, you know that well, or.
Speaker 2: No, that's true. My girlfriend, my best friend, she actually taught me this rule that I can't take credit for. She basically said, you have to picture yourself using this with three different outfits. So this is like specifically in regards to shoes. So for her, she's like a shoe attict, and she was always like, if I can envision three different looks, like entirely different looks with the pair of shoes, then I'm going to go for it. But if you can't imagine yourself wearing it three different ways, don't buy it. Because we're talking like, you know, an expensive shoe, not like something you know every day. But that's kind of like been ingrained in my head now for bags, you know I can imagine it. Yeah, then don't don't do it. Don't buy it for like a one off thing or just for a one time event you know you have. It has to be like a long term purchase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I actually did think similar. I wanted it was kind of like a muted green color, which it sounds gross, but it and and then I thought to myself, hmm, I just don't see myself like it might look good with a couple of outfits, but not like a lot. So you know, I love that real that's awesome. And so also, what is your sort of take on the whole getting the designer, Like you said, when you've saved up living within your means, but also not being like a brand snob and still like finding the bargains and not necessarily everything has to be a certain brand.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely a big fan of mixing the highs and the lows. It's just not realistic to live in all the designer and even if I had the choice too, I wouldn't want to. I feel like there's a level of anxiety you get when you're carrying or wearing something really expensive, and so to me, I personally would like not be able to stand that. So I love living in my levies. I'm wearing like a plain white T shirt, and I'll wear a Chanel bag or a Gucci bag or whatever, and I feel like I'm a million dollars, you know. Like it's just that feeling of having a little accessory to elevate your luck. I think that's really all you need. And so I've always been a big fan of handbags, Like that's my favorite designer splurge is a handbag.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've never really been big on designer shoes because I feel like you wear them out or you don't wear them at all. It's kind of one of those things like the Gucci loafers. I wear those to death. But then I would never buy expensive high heels because I can't and wear high heels anymore. It's like a waste of money. So I just think that mixing the highs and lows is the way to go. I feel like it's it's nice, it's effortless, it's realistic, and then you just feel like you're carrying something nice with you while wearing a normal person every day.
Speaker 1: Else it awesome. Well, I am going to wrap up this interview. It has been so amazing to talk to you about all these awesome topics, all very different, but I loved it. Thank you so much for being on the show. Do you want to just let the audience know, you know where they can find your blog and your Instagram, any plugs that you have, anything that's happening at the moment.
Speaker 2: Sure. Well, thank you so much for having me on the podcast. This was really really fun and for being my first time. I feel like I'm obsessed.
Speaker 1: Now, so fun like a conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, like we're vffs now, this is great. I'm a VFF in Australia. I know I'm excited, but yeah, everyone can find me on Instagram obviously. My handle is at sivon aila and and my blog is just my name as well ww dot dot com. And as far as everything else goes, I've got a lot of things in the works. I can't really talk too much about it, but for anyone that's been following me in the past, we'll know I do a lot of product collaborations, and I do a lot of fun things throughout the year just to kind of keep it interesting and a good way for me to connect with my audience in a tangible way. So stay tuned because I definitely have some fun things coming out this year. So I love it.
Speaker 1: Make sure you're following her Instagram and you'll see so many cute stories and photos of Kupra you'll dot.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my gosh, yeah, just go to her and get me.
Speaker 1: I love it, all right, Thank you so much. I would talk to you later, all right, Thank you, hie bye. Thanks so much for listening into this week's episode. If you love to Riz and Kunka and you're craving more community, I have got you, girlfriend. I was feeling the exact so I'm very excited to announce that we have made a close Rise and Conquer Facebook community group. To join our girl gang, head to Facebook and search Rise and Conquer podcast community, or head to the show notes for the link. I decided to create this community for like minded women who are searching for a safe and positive space for us to share our stories, to ask for advice and interact together. Lastly, if you know someone who would benefit from this episode, please make sure you share it with them or even take a screenshot and share it on your Instagram Stories. I really really appreciate all the support, and this is a total independent podcast, so any sort of sharing involved I really really appreciate. Also, if you want to go beyond this episode, check out our official instagram at Rise and Conquer dot podcast or my personal Instagram at Georgie Stevenson. I hope you have an amazing day or night whenever you're listening, by for now and talk to you soon. Bobout Speak, publist speak spots, post
Speaker 2: Pos