Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last peak. Their line welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today on the podcast, I have the latest eliminated contestant from Channel ten's new reality show The Challenge Australia. It is fighter and the ring peacekeeper on our screens. It's Sugar Nicks Johnson. Sugar is a female pro boxer, winning major championships and making a name for herself around the world. Born in New Zealand, but when fighting internationally, she represents Australia. This is her first reality TV show, but something tells me we are bound to see more of her as she was a great addition to the series. Sugar did make alliances and made headlines across the country for rumors that started after Leake suggested that she had a fight with one of her major competitors. It also seemed like her pairing with Ryan Gallagher was the main reason for her exit, but we will talk about that in today's podcast. We will also get to the bottom of her rumored beef with Susan Matuzi, what it was like to be a reality TV star, Who she knew or what I probably should say who she didn't know, And of course I'll ask her my top five questions, which will leave her no room to duck and weave as she dishes the dirt on her fellow cast members. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Sugar from the Challenge Australia to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: What's involved in reality TV streams, teamwork, resilience, each to their own and I don't judge r I don't criticize.
Speaker 1: Sugar's a box art, She's a warrior.
Speaker 2: This is going to be carnage. It was crazy because I'm quite icd so I actually don't know how I lived in that room as well.
Speaker 1: Now this is a matchup before being waiting to see.
Speaker 2: Where did this even come from? Like I sort of have to just laugh about it, because what else can you do about it?
Speaker 1: Ryan and Sugar, you were the losers of tonight's elimination.
Speaker 2: I think the people with bigger personalities and more of the dramall sort of overtook the line light there.
Speaker 1: Hi, Sugar, how are you good morning?
Speaker 2: I'm very well, thank you.
Speaker 1: How did you end up on a show like The Challenge Australia.
Speaker 2: I ended up on that show because I wanted to challenge myself. I knew that there was money on the line, and I thought that I would be a good run for my money to actually win the money. So I'm quite competitive and I wanted to give it a crack.
Speaker 1: You also said, you know, when I was reading about all the contestants, you revealed in your profile that you're actually a quiet person. Was this a real shock to the system to be amongst so many people known for their big personalities.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit. It took a little bit for me to adapt to everyone in the house and just the different personalities. But I understand everyone is, like you know, each to their own and I don't judge or I don't criticize, So it was just a different experience. And I took it all on like a bit of a learning curve.
Speaker 1: I've been to a lot of events where you see lots of different people from reality shows and you always get put together, and I always was like, this is the reality show, this is what should be on television, because drama seems to just find itself there. What did you think of reality TV contestants before doing the show?
Speaker 2: Well, to be honest, I actually never really watched TV because I'm too busy training or going to bed early. So when I first come onto the show, I felt extremely rude because I was like, sorry, who are you? Or what is what show that you were on? So I was still learning about what shows everyone was on when I got onto the house, and then it's like, right, okay, I see now I see sort of what's involved in reality TV.
Speaker 1: Who was the one that was the most offended for you not knowing who they were?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think anyone really took offense, not that I knew of anyway.
Speaker 1: Last night, it was interesting to watch the show because you guys were safe in the first part of the double episode, which was interesting to see. But do you think that they couldn't lose you because of the drama that Ryan and Emily had been creating at that point. Do you think that the producers were like, Okay, we need to save these people and give them another episode.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. There was big arguments in the house about this, whether it was rigged to be like, look, we need the drama here in the house, but who knows. It's the challenge, and I feel like maybe they just wanted to spice it up a bit. It wasn't the halfway mark, but I wasn't complaining. I was still in the house and able to compete for the money.
Speaker 1: But you were also being dragged into some of Ryan's drama. How did that make you feel at the time, Because I mean, I'm talking to you right now. You don't seem like the sort of person that attaches themselves to drama, So I don't know. Did you feel like Ryan dragged you into his mess?
Speaker 2: You know that he was a part of my alliance. He's a friend of mine, and I knew that I was going into the drama and that side of the house with the alliance, and I was happy just to take that on board, even though I wasn't involved in a lot of the drama. I knew what was going on and where my spot was in the house.
Speaker 1: Do you think that it was also fair for the producers to cancel or whoever the powers that be, do you think it was fair for them to cancel that birthday party on the yacht?
Speaker 2: Oh, it was probably probably a good call because there may have been a bit more dramas on the boat out on the water there with alcohol involved. So maybe it was a good call. And I guess we're never going to know because we never went out on that boat that day.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't get off the boat, Sugar, so like if you're on the boat, you know that's that's too much. So I think it's probably the right thing to do. Was it one hundred percent because of that fight between Conrad and Ryan or do you think it was a combination of all the fights that were going on.
Speaker 2: No. I just think the tension between Ryan and Conrad and then the tension between the Batchy alliance and sort of my alliance was just really heated. The tension in the house was just crazy, Like I was like, you know, you don't want to be stepping on no one's toes. Otherwise somebody would probably would have went off the boat for sure. Do you know.
Speaker 1: I always think of my boy Marley because he's a fellow winner of Big Brother. I feel like we are not getting as much from Marley. I wanted to know if your take on him, is he really quiet while the show was going on, or are we just not seeing, you know, enough of him? It was maybe the drama was more about other people, so we're not getting to see enough of Marley.
Speaker 2: No, Marley was such a cool dude. Really really got along with him. He's really down to earth, and I feel like he was a little bit of a flow cell like myself, Like he just got along with everyone in the house. I think the people with bigger personalities and more of the drama sort of overtook the line light there, you know.
Speaker 1: Apparently one of your competitors, someone that's already left the competition, said that there was a bit of a run in with you and Susan in the first couple of days. We obviously don't need to get into the sort of details of that, but was there any truth over beef between you and Susan?
Speaker 2: Not at all that I did entertain that story because it wasn't true at all. So I had no need to really comment on it.
Speaker 1: This must be strange for you to be in the media in this capacity and have your name dragged into something like that. I mean, it's so strange when something gets a headline and it's completely untrue. You have to wonder who makes this stuff up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just like, where did this even come from? Like I sort of have to just laugh about it, because what else can you do about it? Like I was there, we were all there, we knew it wasn't true. So yeah, social media is crazy and where these stories come up from. I don't know whether it be somebody who's jealous or just trying to maybe look bad or I have no idea what it is, but I'm not too worried because I know what I did and I know it wasn't true, So no need to entertain the idea of it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I love your attitude on that. You know, Kiki's injury has been the topic of conversation, even you know, being factored into these negotiations that were going on. Do you think her leaving the competition with having an injury is too big of a disaster because losing one person would mean that there'd be uneven numbers and they need to have those, you know, those duos.
Speaker 2: From my understanding, from what I would think, if Kicky was to get eliminated from as like injury, her partner would have to go as well, because, like you say, it's appaired challenges, so you can't really do it on your own.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. I kept thinking that would have to be the case, because you couldn't just leave one person there. I mean, it would just be unfair. But how would you have felt if you'd been eliminated because your your teammate had an injury.
Speaker 2: That's a hard one, Like I would have been upset because I would have wanted to keep going to the end and it wasn't me at fault. But you know, an injury is like, there's a life outside of the show, so things are more important than being in there at that moment. It was life threatening or you know she's going to have a broken back or needs surgery, then so be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I guess that. You know. One of my favorite things of the season was in the second part of the double episode last night, which was you going up against Emily, and I was like, this is actually a really fair fight between the two of you. Would you say that Emily was your strongest competitor in the competition?
Speaker 2: Most definitely. She's a fantastic man. Look at what she's done. I can't many of years, So she's done the hard work. She knows what it's like to be fit, healthy and compete on the world stage along with myself. So she was definitely my strongest competitor in the aw.
Speaker 1: See, she looks like she's got some people up against her, though. I feel bad for her now, I'm like, how's she going to survive another episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's everyone's got a target on him now for sure.
Speaker 1: You know you said last night, just as you were leaving the competition, you know you look forward to other opportunities. Is there some other shows that you would like to see yourself on? Is there anything out there that you think, Oh, I've got a taste for a reality now I've set my sight on that.
Speaker 2: If it's something competitive, yeah, I definitely want to get better crack. I always liked the look of sas that it'd be something right up my alley. But if it wasn't really competitive, then I'm not really interested in doing that. I've got a boxing career to focus on, and I'm at the highest of where I'm at the moment, so that's that's my number one priority.
Speaker 1: You're a busy woman. One of the last things I was going to ask you is is there anything about the challenge that you would change? I mean, this is a big franchise that's happening around the world, which you've been lucky to take part in. You know, is there anything about the way in which the competition works that you'd change?
Speaker 2: I think from watching the previous some of the other shows, like it's really different all the time, Like sometimes they'll do single challenges where you have to compete on your own. You may stay with your partner the whole time to the show. For me, I just took this as it came, and I didn't really know what to expect. But it'll be interesting to see to see you actually do the challenges and compete on your own, because then that way it's on you. It's not on anyone else, Whether you win or you it's on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you make a fair point there. You know, everyone that's been on the podcast, I've asked them these top five need to know questions. It's like a rapid fire thing. You don't have to go into too much detail. You could also plead the fifth if you don't want to say, but are you ready to play the game?
Speaker 2: All right, let's go all right?
Speaker 1: Who was the nicest person in the competition?
Speaker 2: I'd have to say Marley.
Speaker 1: Who were the biggest villains?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Who would be the biggest villain in the show?
Speaker 2: Probably Comma?
Speaker 1: Who would have thought the guy from Master Chef would be this? You know there would be this villain. It's he's serving something spicy, that's for.
Speaker 2: Sure, very spicy.
Speaker 1: Who is the messiest person to live with?
Speaker 2: Probably my roommates Bryan Grant, Johnny.
Speaker 1: I just heard that the smell of that room is so bad that people had to keep telling them to clean the room. And I then realized that you were living with them, and I was sharing that space, and I felt bad for you. You must have had some strong impulse deodorant to wear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just like my little corner of the room. It was like spotless. It was crazy because I'm quite icd so I actually don't know how I lived in that room as well.
Speaker 1: Just imagine you waking up and trying to wipe you know, Grant down with a with a squeegee, you know, come on, mate, pick up your game. Who is the funniest person in there?
Speaker 2: The funniest Johnny was pretty funny, like he was a really cool character. And I find a funny side to Surroul as well. I think she's cyclone, she's she's a cool check, she's funny.
Speaker 1: I like her as well. I don't know how much I could live with her, but I love to watch her on television. Who do you want to win? Not who you maybe might know who's going to get close to the end, but like when you left the competition at this point, who did you want to win?
Speaker 2: I want Emily and Grant to win, either of them because they are a part of my line. But I would prefer, like you know, we got kicked out one of my alliances to win, and I feel like anyone in the show would want somebody in the alliance to win.
Speaker 1: Sugar, I just want to say thank you so much for coming on the podcast. I was so excited to chat with you this morning. I'm glad that we put that Susan rumor to bed. Now it's come from the horse's mouth, everyone can back off. I really loved you on the show and I can't wait to see what you do next. I'll have to come and watch you fight in the ring.
Speaker 2: Yes, that'd be great. I'm probably going to be overseas next, but next time I'm here in Melbourne or here in Australia, I think it's going to be huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hit me up. I think it would be awkward at this point if I fly overseas to watch you, it might seem like I'm stalking.
Speaker 2: Nah, that's all right, that's all right. Thank you for the support.
Speaker 1: No, all good. Thanks so much for the chat.