Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast. The Letter You. It's this week's letter in our eight z of the eighties. Today's letter is letter you'condall's you of the eights, as in, you really don't want that couch? Fourteen minutes now rio has been stood by couch that no one has stopped by to have a look at all. Right, the letter you before we get into the rest of the eighties, and the letter you yesterday. The movie of the week for Jackie Boy two watches A Child of the nineties. I going to watch a great movie, Oscar winning movie by Brian Depalmer. Against the movie Kevin Costa Sean Connor in a very young Andy Garcia, The great story of Elliotness taken down al Capone's crew The Untouchables. Do you remember this from nineteen eighty seven? Robert de Niro is al Capone. There is violence in Chicago, of course, but not by me and not by anybody I employ. And I tell you why, because it's no good business. Kevin Costner is elliot ness. I have sworn to put this man away with any and all legal means at my disposal. I will do so. Sean Connery is Jimmy Malone. You want to get capon, you get them. You pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you say him one of his log What a movie. I remember saying, there's a cinema with my buddies, Kevin and Graham and me, and we love this movie.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that one an Oscar. Wow, And I'm just looking at You're right, it's Oscars. Yeah, right, So people are easier to impress in the eighties.
Speaker 1: No, this is a great movie. No, this stands up now. Some bits don't. But this is a great movie. Why didn't you care for.
Speaker 2: I can't believe with the great actors who were in it anyways, it was so lame. I even even the great Robert de Niro, who's no, I do know, he buked up for it.
Speaker 1: It was one of the first movies he put on a lot of weight.
Speaker 2: No, he was like a kid playing a gangster in a high.
Speaker 1: School capone was light, was like a tyrant kid.
Speaker 2: No, No, he was Sean Connery, Kevin Costner, Robert de Niro. Didn't like any of them, only like I.
Speaker 1: Didn't like any of them. First of all right, let's just get into Kevin Costna. I would agree, right, I watched it about last week. He's a snooze fest, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's the main character that's meant to take down copone.
Speaker 1: I love Kevin Costa, but in this movie, he's like a real square cardboard.
Speaker 2: Yes, nothing about his character. You don't really even believe.
Speaker 1: There's a bit in it where he's just leading the crew. They're all sort of locked and loaded, right, He's got his finally got all of his gang, his men to take down our capone. They're gonna go and kick in some warehouse and everyone's like, yeah, we're gonna do this is the start of it, and Kevin Costner just goes Cox is like shot and he goes, let's do some good. It's like the lamest light I would have I was Sean Connery, I would have punched him on the spot and kicked him out of the van's galloway.
Speaker 2: Costner at the start of the film gets bad press. He's the new federal agent in town. He gets bad press because the raid that he did is bungled, and he takes the headline from the newspaper and pins it up on the corkboard behind his desk.
Speaker 1: That is called motivation.
Speaker 2: Banker said, that's something Christian would do.
Speaker 1: I have done that. You know. There's a rival boss who said something about me. I wrote it on a post it note and I had it for a year. Maybe that's why I like this movie. It's a man who's vengeance. Let's just talk about Kevin cosl Right, Okay, if you didn't like the cause, what about Sean Conney? Though? Yet again, what Sean showed in this movie playing a Chicago cop is Sean Connery has probably got a greater range of accents than near the other actor. I mean, here he is when he was a Russian submarine commander, Russian sounding, so Russian. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old aversary, the American Navy, so Russian in that. And there he is now he's working for a Spanish king.
Speaker 2: Cot He change, I am one Sanchez fill of lobos.
Speaker 1: An he doesn't sound like it made metal, just to King Charles fifth of Spain. And here he is in Chicago. Want to get here's hoping to get him? He pulls a knife. Do you pull a gun? He sends one of yours to the hospital, and you're saying, want a history of the mark. This scene is incredible in that church. It's a beautiful scene that's go away.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know if he thought he was from Chicago, if he was from Scotland originally, because he starts off.
Speaker 1: With everywhere he's been in the submarine. He's been time traveling working for that Spanish king as his chief metallurgist.
Speaker 2: When we first met him, he has more of an American accent than a sort of.
Speaker 1: Shit does change in the movie, doesn't It gets a little bit frayed. I remember actually getting a little bit misty eyed when Sean I think we can do We don't have to go spoiler alert about a movie that came out in nineteen eighty seventy. If you haven't seen it now, I haven't seen it. Screw you. What about this this scene here where he's gunned down big old Sean. I don't like seeing this. Oh God, howardly wade they got as they lured him out of his apartment as well.
Speaker 2: Listened to it again. This was another one of my most hated scenes. He's been shot more than one hundred times that we can't actually kill Sean, and he reacts like he stubbed his toe.
Speaker 1: This is actually because he's so that's how you and I would do it, Not Sean Connery, right, not surely to him, it would just be like a paper cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like you got a paper cut.
Speaker 1: Jesus, that's chafe. That is really put some vacilline on that. That is chafe.
Speaker 2: And then hell it got He's honestly got shot from head to toe bullets. He crawled trolls for the whole length of his.
Speaker 1: How big is that apartment? I mean he's only on amaze these salaries as Chicrgo cop and yet the apartment is like three times a size Buckingham Palace. Blood all over everywhere. He's doing a commander crawl ruining that apartment. The clean up job for the rest of the crew is awful.
Speaker 2: And then he's still there when Kevin Costa gets you.
Speaker 1: That's upsetting, isn't it. You love Sean?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't like him.
Speaker 1: How can you not like?
Speaker 2: I didn't like him? He was too cliche, all his all these motivational speeches to the team. I was like, what what does that even mean, I.
Speaker 1: Don't like what I'm hearing. And then what about the final scene when they're at the railway station, so brilliantly shot with the lady in the pram, I hear sniggl can you hear me? The lady in the pram, Costner, the clock, the crew, the clock, the lady in the pram, back to the clock. It's so tense with all the characters world lateist ever in a movie tension. And what about the scene where the pram good its slow motion cood going down the steps good John Good jun kod John Costner tries to grab it. He's prepared because he's a moral man, to give away the whole secret operation just to rescue that lady's baby, and then bang, who's got it? Underneath Garsia?
Speaker 2: That pram coming down the stairs was slower. My favorite seen those slow mo clips of people using a super slow my camera to film like a water balloon exploding. He was even slower than that.
Speaker 1: We were head of TikTok with Untouchables again, ten minutes for that tension, tension, Sean dying in eighteen stages, and then that pram scene with Garcia. You got a bit, didn't you? Go that's cool. When he's suddenly there, he's got it. Any I don't need you cause Garcia has got it. Andy.
Speaker 2: Garcia was my only likable character, and I did like that bit where he's pinned under the pram and he takes out the bad guy.
Speaker 1: I haven't liked this with you one bit. It's actually been the most trucculent one from you. Mark's out of ten for The Great Untouchables.
Speaker 2: Three out of ten. By the end of it, I was actually saying, let's just finish this.
Speaker 1: Oh God, this is really I'm saying. Right, We're not going to talk about this anymore. We're going to move on The Christian Connell Show podcast. If you just tuned in, I am glad you didn't hear the last fifteen minutes of blasphemous radio. That's what it is. When Jack took down. Gave him easy three out of ten to the Great Movie Oscar winning movie The Untouchables, Judy's with you, Jackie Boy and with Jack Sean Connery's shockingly bad. He's shockingly great in The Untoble.
Speaker 2: I can't believe he won the Best Supporting Act.
Speaker 1: Damn right, I can't believe, damn right. That's the Chicago way.
Speaker 2: There must have been not a lot of films that year.
Speaker 1: Oh, dare you come on, Jackie boy? Great movie. That's someone else's texted in. Even your builder mate Clint has texted you during the show he bought.
Speaker 2: He said, we might not be friends anymore. First it was top Gun. Now it's untouchable.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not the movies. Maybe you're the problem.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Clint. I'm with you one hundred percent on this Christian the letter you for me and a lot of I think you this is ultimate Warrior Eighties wrestling. Yeah, he was huge, one the early big megastars. No for defeating Hulk Hogan for the WWF tight to us some justin all right. The other thing to do with the eighties and the to you for me is you know, sometimes there's certain things that you remember from your childhood. Right, it might be something you had to learn by wrote while you were at school, a monomic or something like that. For the colors of the Rainbow, Richard of York gave battle in Vain. Oh really, we had Roigy bit of ah right, Okay, Yeah, we were always taught because it would be to do with the King of the UK. Yeah, Richard of York gave battle in Vain. To remember the are think called monomics. Yeah, it's that Many's words. Yeah. The other thing I remember is, you know that used to just because we used to watch so much TV back then. My parents didn't care about me to sort of sit in front of the TV. There wasn't a lot of kids TV on, but there there were certain adverts where you would just there's an advert, right to do with a letter you for a do you remember, like eighties nineties you had little cartons of drink, Yeah, you remember, and you get like the tiny straw in the world, barely like a half a zero point one millimeters wide that you were sucking your eyeballs trying to get any liquid out of and your mum would buy them in like a six pack dirt cheap mustagen just be sugary kind of drinks basically. Anyway, this one was called Umbungo. And now this little cartoon advert I still remember, now, many many years later, I still remember the first couple of lines, way down deep in the middle of the congo, A hippie hippo took an apricot, guava and a mango. I think this is it now? The river was low and the boat way down deep in the middle of the congo. What stuck with the others, And Tangle said, I know, we'll call it still remember this right? No reason why I stood in the struggle to remember phone numbers of the opening line. They drink, They drink it way down deep in the congo. I still remember from the Umbungo adverts. Do you remember any advert from your childhood? You could almost do from from memory.
Speaker 2: I can do the whole roof Seal ad Now, roof Seal was a seal who walked around on your roof and cleaned up your mortar and your gutters. And this song went, when your roof is getting lost between the lichen and the moss, and your mortar isn't where it ort to be, well, give it back its old appeal with a visit from roof Seal one three hundred and thirty six seven oh seven.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is amazing. I need to tell you this, listeners, Jack didn't look at any notes. You did that off by heart. Oh, when your roof is getting lost between the likings and the moss, when your morder isn't where it ought to.
Speaker 2: Be, then give it back that old appeal with a visit.
Speaker 1: From roof Seal one three hundred and thirty six seven O seven oh word for word, word for word? All right, So what's advert can you remember from your childhood, whether you were charter of the eighties or nineties. What do you think you can remember almost word for word? What can you have a go out well? Christian Connell's Show podcast