Speaker 1: Is it just me a podcast by a couple of mitches.
Speaker 2: Mitch, you caught up with Tones and I recently I.
Speaker 3: Did Tones and I and I hung out. It was it was real fun. Actually I got a good couple of scoops out of her. She went to a celebrity's house in LA like a big Hollywood Hills party and left midway through because she was over it.
Speaker 2: And when I had fast food. She's a bit of an introvert, Yeah, she is.
Speaker 3: It was a good story in that I, speaking of fast food, I got out of her what her favorite fast food restaurant is.
Speaker 2: And it's gonna get me brownie points.
Speaker 3: You did tell me in our full show that you plugged a red Ruther and you spoke about that with her.
Speaker 2: Thank god. She loves a red rooster role for one another reason that I now love her.
Speaker 3: And also she talks about a collab but that she's never announced, never spoken about, and actually hadn't planned on releasing. But I think I think I convinced her to do it.
Speaker 2: With Chappelle Corby, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It was Palm Trees but released too. I this on my night show, Kissed Nights, and we had to cut it down a bit, but this is the full unedited chat with me.
Speaker 2: Really, yah know where it's at all. And he's swearing, Yeah, she fucking swears like a fucking sailor does she.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what she says. We're talking about busking, and she's like, let me tell you the thing about fucking busking.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh my god, Byron Bay ruts are coming out. I feel like I could be friends with her.
Speaker 3: Me too, actually, And she was one of those people that were really present. She kept referring to me by name, like Mitch. That's a good question, you know, when like someone does that.
Speaker 2: I don't have that skill. I suck at that. Yeah, we have the name again, get it here. It is mean toimes and and I enjoy Mitch till midnight.
Speaker 1: I need.
Speaker 2: I'm so good. I'm so bloody good. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Michael.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: I'm fangirling for a moment because I'm such a massive fan of you and I when they said this is happening, They're like, she's going on, Kyle and Jackie. Oh, I'm like, okay that my odds are now being halved. And they're like and then she'll do your show. I'm like you, but you get out of here because I need tones and I have been literally saying how much I love you. See stay dot and I think it's all come to fruition on the show here. If I saw you in Baron Bay, I'd throw you a thousand dollars check. I'm obsessed with you. I think you're incredible, dead set. I'd stop. I'd like fix your hair. I'd be like, you're doing great, let me just tune your guitar. I'd be the I'd be the mom with a little GoPro filming you on the side of the street because I love you and I'm so glad you're here.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the girls with the camera and the sew.
Speaker 2: You'd be performing. I'd be like, Tones, you need, what do you need? You need? You need me to tune your caitar. You need some condoms? What do you need to need a drink? What do you need.
Speaker 3: In the middle of a street. I don't know why you need them, but I'm supportive. I'll give you what you needed.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, no, And I love someone that has everything just in case.
Speaker 3: Exactly one of those trench coats just full of anything you need, buttle of tequila.
Speaker 2: I got to your bag.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, dude, I honestly have to say congratulations on everything that has happened to you. I don't even normally when people come on, I can list it because you know, there's a there's a ten second list.
Speaker 2: But there's a bloody bible for you. You've done everything.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, I know. I don't even know. It's crazy. It's just all happened so quickly. It's you know, it's it's such a crazy thing that has happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is crazy, isn't it. Do you almost think like it's not happened? Like do you ever think it's a dream or do you ever wake up and go it come on? Like it's got to end now, like because it just hasn't stopped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do. I do think that. I think that it's you know, I feel like that about the world, but not Australia. Like I feel like Australia have supported me through Busking, through Johnny run Away, through Dance Monkey, through and Neverthing, the Rain, the EP now Bad Child, Like I feel like Australia is home and that's the place where you know, I'm an artist around me around the world. You know what, A lot of people come to my shows thinking dance Monkey, Okay, I want to hear other stuff and have no idea that I a will play an instrument, you know, different over there.
Speaker 2: I think that's the Aussie spirit though. We love an underdog.
Speaker 3: We love watching someone come from nothing, not saying you're at nothing, but someone come from the bottom to the top.
Speaker 2: And that's what you've done. Like that is the epitome of like an Aussie icon.
Speaker 3: Like we love that in artists, and I think I think that's why everyone loves you so much and loves your music, because they can see the journey and they can hear it in your music. I mean, dance Monkey, I could do it whole interview on but I mean that's old stuff. Now Bad Child Times is, Oh my god, I think it's better than dance Monkey. You must be happy with how that's doing, like getting airplay.
Speaker 1: And I'm just happy that. The main thing is that that really makes me happy is that, like I finally released a song that's vulnerable and it's about me, and I've opened myself up more instead of hiding behind other names like Jimmy and Johnny and all this stuff, you know, Like I think I made the decision to release this song. It was very hesitant. I never thought I would, but then when I made that decision, I was like, I'm going to do it. And I think that the way that people take that and support that is huge for me because first of all, like I produced that track, ninety nine percent was all on my own. I sent it to a producer to get it cleaned up and ready for radio. But I mean, I'm starting to produce my own music from the kids are coming to now and can't be happy all the time, and that's so huge for me, you know. So I think that, like, you know, to see the support when you really put extra effort into something and it's very vulnerable for you and you're nervous, you know, that's that really matters to someone.
Speaker 2: So like you. How long have you been writing music and performing?
Speaker 1: Well, I've always sung in the shower, but I've never had a lesson or anything. Like I always played basketball growing up. Yeah, I would say I probably. I used to play at like pubs and clubs. Some people, like say Tones and Eyes completely skipped the pub scene, which all Ausius dude, no no, no, no.
Speaker 3: You're like, I've had thrown at me, thank you very much. I know the smell of cigarettes and sandy.
Speaker 1: I've had all. I've had all the public pubs experiences. But when I realized, which a lot of people either do and don't want to do it or just don't realize, that that wasn't enough if you really want something, I went to busking and I think that's the new Aussie experience now anyway, Like we've got so many amazing buskers that come from Australia that like get that support and blow up. You know how it is when you're in other countries they do not care about buskers. When I'm in America, they don't even know what bucking is. They call it street performing and they think it's like the lowest of the low homeless cost. Yeah, so it's like like you know, homeless people tapping on the pavement with sticks, Like they don't even realize the culture that we have in Australia. It's amazing, Like we're so lucky. And I think, like I've been doing that probably all up like pubs and busting for about four five years maybe my god, see.
Speaker 3: And you're so right the amount of times I've been to pitt Street in the middle of Sydney and all at Chapel Street down in Melbourne and there's been a.
Speaker 2: Busker that's got me stopped. Like I stopped and I go, who is this? I need to know? You're right? We have such good quality on our streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they were. The mindset behind busker is is like I have to get out there and I don't know how, so I'm going to put myself in the middle of a bunch of people that don't know who I am. It's so nerve racking, But this is how much I love what I do. And I think that no matter even if you don't you don't like what they're sharing, it's not your taste, Like that's something to be appreciated already before before even deciding that all of a sudden, oh well they're really talented as well, or whatever you think about busk is you know, just to do that. So I remember my first time it was so scary, and even up to my almost my last time, it's always scary. Actually, I always was nervous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you cringe?
Speaker 3: Like I've seen videos come up in the last couple of weeks tones and eye busking tones and I busking before she was big.
Speaker 2: Do you cringe looking at that? Or are you like no, man, that's what got me here.
Speaker 1: I'm just really proud of myself. I actually look at that video. I saw that video, you know the other day I popped up on my new speed and I thought to myself, like shit, like looking at my youngest self, going you actually had no idea, like if I could talk to you now, if I could look at you right now, and on that video when I'm busking, that was the night I wrote dance Monkey about that's so strange because that was the night someone knocked over my keyboard stole my money. That was the night and looking back on the how dislated someone can feel, and then going, fuck, I wish I could talk to you now. You have no idea. Sometimes I have a look at like I try and look back on my past or whatever. I printed out a lot of photos from last year just to like have some memories of what's been going on, and I looked at them and I went, you know, I never thought this was going to happen. And when I see those busking videos, I'm like, shit, keep going because like you know it's gonna work.
Speaker 3: Now, that's what I want to talk about. Like, it must just be nuts. I think I read an article and it was praising you. It was an Aussie article, or you're going to get a lot of love from Ozzie prayers. But this article was like tones and I invited to this Hollywood Hills mansion party. We took her best friend and then like hated it, left and got KFC in her apartment.
Speaker 2: If that happened, is that true?
Speaker 1: It's very similar to true. So we went to the party. Me and my friend Abs were both pretty bogany, and then everyone was just really snooty. We didn't like it, so we went back to our hotel room and we got Jenny's. I don't even know they have KFC. We got Denny's, which is like a diner, and watched Netflix and just yeah, we're pretty much the same. So we didn't get KFC. Here is like a side note, I don't like KFC. No one knows, but really, I guess they assume because I'm an Aussie.
Speaker 2: I guess they're all, OK, you're not into Wicked Wings.
Speaker 1: No, I just I don't know why. It's just sometimes it's Harry, Yes, what you mean?
Speaker 2: Exactly what you mean? What's your meaning of choice?
Speaker 3: Are you like a snack wrap at macas or like a what do you fill of the fish?
Speaker 1: If I had to eat takeaway, okay, i'd probably get red rooster.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're my girl, like your half chicken roll or full chicken roll.
Speaker 1: Let's be real, like if you're going to get takeaway, like why would you go half? Because I don't get takeaway all the time. So if you're gonna do it, like you're gotta do it. You know. It's like when you're hungover and you're like, right, oh guys ordering Uber Eats. Tell all your roommates do breach day today. I'll pay for it. Get your order in. You know. One of those things you'd be the coolest friend.
Speaker 3: Are your friends like, oh like just loving you at the moment or are you getting like old ones out of the woodworks and you're like you bullied me in your seven Thank you very much, Rebecca Smith, like you can piece right off.
Speaker 1: Well, actually it's funny you say that because I think my friends are the coolest, so I feel so lucky. But no, I think in school like this is the way I see it in school. Everyone makes mistakes. We're children, we're young, like, you know, I feel like in school, I would never harbor anything that happened to me in school. And there's a lot of people that I knew from school that I've known since then that have changed. And myself has changed so much since school. So the way I see this is like since anything from high school and beyond is you know, we're all learning, we're all trying to figure out who we are. And I have a little brother, and I know what it's like to be that age, and I think that it's important to remember that people change. Otherwise we're all going to look at each other like we're fetuses for the rest of our lives because we all.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, now let's talk about new music very quickly. So obviously dance Monkey is huge.
Speaker 2: We loved it.
Speaker 3: That's what got That's what got the name Tones and I in our minds Bad Child's Out, We love that. I love Johnny Runaway, can't be happy all the time is around, is all sort of bubbling over all. These tracks got a feature on your debut album coming this year.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna the first two songs off the album was going to be Bad Child and Can't Be Happy all the time. But now that I have this time off, I was kind of almost going to keep them as singles and write new songs for the album. Yeah, because it's just I've got so much more time off than I thought I would have, and I was meant to be writing this album while I was on tour. So now it's hard to me because every time I write music, by the time I get to the end of the album, I'm like the first few songs I wrote that I love, I'm like, nah, I hate him. Now I'm used to them, and then I want to write new song. He keeps happening, So it's really hard.
Speaker 3: Did you have that feeling with Dance Monkey or Bad Child like you Did you ever get over those songs or did you know, like, nah, there's something here that is special.
Speaker 1: I I Danced Monkey, I didn't because it was doing some crazy, crazy, out of this world things without a release, like the thing that song did in Byron Bay, a town like just to bring people together were crazier. I was so excited for that song. But Bad Child Can't Be Happy. No, I could still listen to Can't Be Happy all the time. I listened to it before before the phone call. Actually, it's definitely a song I wrote for myself when I never intended to release that, so vulnerable of me to write like that that, you know, when I did release it, I feel like, you know, proud when I listened to it, and I do love the song. I love performing it. So that's like a song that I will listen to you because I wrote it for myself when I get down or whatever. So I tended to listen to it and sing it all the time for myself. And now it's out there in the world. I can listen to it, you know, on Spotify when I want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: What about like when Ozzie artists dropped their albums and we love all the artists, but then they often struggle to get the big international names to do covers or to do features. We live in our little Aussie music bubble here and down under. But now you're an international name. People know who you are in and out of LA I can only imagine are there big names that have approached you or you're like trying to approach to get on the album?
Speaker 1: Well, I actually had this rule. No Colloud I've been offered some collaborations with some amazing artists that I would like to collab with, but I really wanted to do work on my own first. I wanted to have like a big body of work that I've done on my own to prove more. Like I just feel like I know that, you know, dance Monkey's gone big and stuff, but it's so important to me that I still haven't figured out really what's going on inside my head sometimes, and I just need to figure it out on my own before I'm like, okay, I'm ready. Like I met up with Maclamore. He's obviously my favorite artist, and we wrote two tracks together, and he's the first person I've ever collabed with because obviously he's my favorite artist of all times. So to get asked. He just surprised me at my show backstage and then stayed for the show. Wasn't meant to be working on songs, And then the next day he called and was like, I want you to come work with me on some songs, like he really wanted to be on Can't Be Happy All the Time, and I was like, that song's about like it's finished, it's going to be released soon because that song's been obviously finished for a while. But you know, then we wrote some songs to again, and I was like, it's definitely Macamare, Like I want him to be my first collaboration. So we've written through songs together and I feel as though, like you know that, that to me is just like the biggest goal, Like where do I go from there? Like he's my favorite artist.
Speaker 3: Imagine imagine if he wanted to come record at your house. You're like, sure, let me take the Macamore posters down, give you ten minutes and you can come.
Speaker 2: All the posts of you. That is so cool, Wow.
Speaker 1: Very much. Just a two minute rap.
Speaker 2: Thank you good.
Speaker 3: Sorry goodness, man, get too cold up? No, No, I've been talking too much. I mean, where do we end? Who's the coorset person you've met that you've got besides Maclamore? Like, is I just a standard celebrity or someone that you've met that you're like, oh, yeah, I'm cool.
Speaker 1: Now, well I would have to say I have to pay the respect to this person. Obviously. I met Sir Elton John and he did an interview with me on his Rocket Hour BBC radio Apple Yeah, Apple Music, Sorry, Rocket Hour show, And you know and the and I loved Elton John so much. And something I never knew about him until now is he's pretty much based this whole radio show around discovering new artists that he's inspired by. And not only did he meet up with me and you know, Winston surf Shirt, but also like he asked us what up and coming artists we like and he and obviously I said Adrian Eagle. Everyone knows I love Adrian Eagle. He then played Adrian Eagle on his show for the whole next week. Oh my god, it's just amazing and I just loved that.
Speaker 2: Aar rut.
Speaker 3: Now quickly to and before we go, I'm I'm being rushed off the Grammys. People are saying Dance Monkey's pegged for a Grammy next year or this year, nomination this year for next year. I mean, it's now the high stream song ever by a female.
Speaker 2: Artist on Spotify. What would you do if you want a Grammy?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What would literally just be? Like going to Red Rooster. I'm getting a Mountain jew and a chicken roll? Like what where would you go? What would you do?
Speaker 1: I can't even tell you, but I will say you this one that would be amazing. But the first thing I think of is, oh my god, I hate dressing up and I hate red carpet. That's the first thing I think of. I'm like, so, you know, you might see tones and attraction at the Grammy and I will not be told to dress up.
Speaker 3: You know what, you damn one though, it's going to be Gucci, it'll be Balentciaga, and I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love you so much.
Speaker 3: When all this COVID is over, I've died to meet you. I'm here at Kiss with Kyle and Jackie. Oh so we'll get you in and we'll do another chat. I so proud of you, love your work. Sorry to keep you for so long, just fangirling out. Stay safe and then and then we'll chat chat soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, were so nice to meet you. I will see you soon.
Speaker 2: You too, and congratulations on everything, genuine it's so cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Good because it's just me.
Speaker 1: A podcast by a couple of