Speaker 1: Already and this is the Dailias.
Speaker 2: This is the Dahlias.
Speaker 1: Oh now it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Just a quick heads up that this podcast will deal with distressing content, specifically around domestic violence. If you need any help, you can always contact one eight hundred respect on one eight hundred seven three seven seven three to two. Good morning and welcome to the Dahlias. It's Thursday, the thirtieth of May.
Speaker 4: I'm zara, I'm sam.
Speaker 3: The country has been rocked by yet another story of men's violence against women after a Perth man killed a mother and daughter on Friday. To believe, the man, a licensed gun owner, was looking for his ex partner at the time of the incident. In the wake of this, the shooter's daughter has issued a public statement about what she says is a failure by Wa police to adequately address safety concerns that she and her mother had had about her father. She claims that she quote raised the alarm about her father three times and was subsequently ignored. In today's podcast, we're going to discuss what we know about the incident, the investigation now being launched, and how.
Speaker 1: The WA government has responded. But first the headlines.
Speaker 4: A peer built by the US to supply aid to civilians in Gaza has broken due to rough seas. The US Department of Defense said it was quote working to recover three of four vessels associated with the Peer, which was built several weeks ago. Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Sabrina Singh said the Peer proved highly valuable in delivering aid to the people of Gaza. Thus, upon completion of the Peer repair and reassembly, the intention is to re anchor the temporary Peer to the coast of Gaza and resume humanitarian aid to the people who need it most. It's expected the repairs will take more than a week.
Speaker 3: A suspected Ticketmaster hack could have exposed the personal details of around five hundred and sixty million customers. A hacker known as shine any Hunters is believed to be behind the breach and owns a forum where thousands of Optus customers personal details were published. In twenty twenty two, In an unverified screenshot from the dark web, shiny Hunters claimed they have one point three terabytes worth of personal data, including the names, phone numbers, addresses, and card details of Live Nation and Ticketmaster customers. TBA reached out to Ticketmaster for comment, but hadn't heard back at the time of recording.
Speaker 4: Prices rose by three point six percent in the twelve months to April twenty twenty four. That's according to new figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Inflation figures for April are up point one percent from the previous month. That means everyday goods and services cost three point six percent more in April twenty twenty four than they did last April. Alcohol and tobacco prices, housing and transport saw some of the biggest increases over the past twelve months.
Speaker 3: And today's good news. Findings from a peanut allergy study could lead researchers to understand ways of preventing food allergies more broadly. A King's College London study found evidence that exposing young children to peanuts cannot reduce their risk of developing an allergy. Said those who avoided peanuts at a young age were more likely to be allergic than people who'd consumed.
Speaker 1: Peanuts during infancy.
Speaker 3: The study concluded that long term prevention and tolerance is possible with food allergies.
Speaker 4: Zara, this is a really distressing story we're going to be speaking about today. Why don't we start with a high level explanation of what exactly happened in Perth this week.
Speaker 3: Sure, so, at about four to twenty pm on Friday, a man entered a home in the Perth suburb of Floriate. And before I go on any feather, just want to say from the outset that will refer to him either as the man, the perpetrator, the shooter up, but not by his name, and that's just a choice the Dahlios has made. So in the home home that this man entered was fifty nine year old Jennifer Pedelchik and her eighteen year old daughter, Gretel. Now it's believed that the man was looking for his former partner, who was Jennifer's friend. The man, who was a licensed gun owner, proceeded to shoot both Jennifer and Gretel and then himself. He and Jennifer died at the scene and Gretel later died in hospital. His former partner was not at the home.
Speaker 4: A really horrific incident. And since it's happened, we've actually heard from the shooter's daughter, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the shooter's daughter, Ariel Bombara, issued a video statement this week, and I must say it was completely remarkable. In it, the young woman said that she along with her mother, had fled her family home two months ago quote in fear of our lives and to remove ourselves from an abusive situation. So there she's talking about fleeing from the home that her father was occupying at the time. She said that she alerted police to her father's dangerous behavior multiple times prior to the incident that unfolded last Friday, and according to Ariel, she contacted police on three separate occasions. She said that she told police that she and her mother feared for their lives and that she flagged concern about her father's access to guns, and I'm going to go back to that in just a second. Her statement said that she applied for a temporary protective order against her father, so that was something that would have put in place a measure that had to protect them and had to keep him away, but that police rejected that specific request. Ariel said that she and her mother were repeatedly ignored and that they were failed and that to direct quote by wa police, and that further actions could have prevented the murders of these two women we saw on Friday. I do just want to play out a bit of aerial statement now because it is just so moving and I cannot imagine what it has taken for her in the wake of such tragedy. You know, she has both lost two people that she knew they were family friends in an act of senseless violence. But in the same vein her father is responsible for these deaths. So here are the words of Ariel.
Speaker 5: We were ignored by five different male officers across three occasions of reporting. By that point, we felt completely helpless and I had to focus on getting mum to safety. I did everything I could to protect my mother, and when my father couldn't find us, he murdered her best friend and her best friend's daughter.
Speaker 4: It truly is a remarkable statement that she delivered. So she's basically alleging there that the police did not take appropriate action. Yeah, and that itself is a really serious issue and a really serious allegation.
Speaker 3: Because I mean, I think this is where a lot of anger is lying at the moment with these conversations, is that you know, we're talking about investments in prevention, and we're talking about all of these things, and yet we've seen now a number of incidents whether it be about our bay laws or something else about the way that things are happening, in the way that processes are happening that aren't protecting women.
Speaker 4: And so what has the response then been from WA Police.
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: WA Police's Internal Investigations Unit has launched an investigation into these allegations, and that's in response to this specific video statement. It'll focus on the three interactions that Aeriel highlighted that she had had with police and then the response that followed that. So here is a bit of WA Police Commissioner Cole Blanche talking about the investigation and what he's hoping will come of this investigation.
Speaker 2: I want to reinforce that me, as the Commissioner and our entire WA Police Force are extremely saddened by the tragic events of Friday and if there's anything that we can do to improve the way we police going forward, the internal investigation will no doubt bore those details out.
Speaker 4: Okay, So it's clear the police are going to investigate how those complaints were handled. But the other story here is about the access that the perpetrator had to guns.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, So, I mean we always think that here in Australia we don't have an issue with guns, and I think it is quite rare to be talking about guns in this sort of context. But the perpetrator owned thirteen guns. So he owned eleven guns on a recreational gun license, and then he owned two handguns on a collector's license. And in her statement, Ariel said that she specifically told police about one.
Speaker 1: Of these weapons.
Speaker 3: It was a glock handgun, and she says that she told police that that gun was unaccounted for, and then she went on in that statement to suggest that that might have been a weapon that was used in this double murder. So this incident did unfold at the same time as a broader conversation about guns in the state had already been playing out. So in February of this year, the WA government proposed what they said.
Speaker 1: Would be the toughest gun laws in the country.
Speaker 3: Now. That legislation included limiting the number of guns that a person can own and imposing stricter licensing requirements. It also proposed introducing a mandatory health check for gun owners. So's a lot of the sort of stuff we hear out of the US and what they've been trying to do around background checks and the like. The WA government has announced a review of the draft legislation in response to what we have seen occur after there were concerns raised about this shooting in particular, and in a presser following this incident, WA's Police Minister Paul Popalia, he really emphasized the importance of expanding police's ability to issue protective orders, particularly in situations involving fire arms.
Speaker 4: The order that said she applied for right yes.
Speaker 3: So he described those current laws as inadequate, and he said that the shooter would have had fewer firearms if the draft laws had already passed.
Speaker 1: So, as I said, this is just proposed legislation.
Speaker 3: It had already been a conversation in the state, but it hadn't passed at the time that this incident occurred. It's obviously very difficult to know if anything would have turned out differently because we're talking only in hypotheticals, but that's certainly the line that the government is saying right now. I do just want to add that that legislation also proposed a ban on domestic violence offenders holding a firearm, and.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting point you raise. I mean, is this being treated as a domestic violence incident?
Speaker 3: The Wa premier earlier this week called it an incident motivated by domestic and family violence, so pretty clear language there. In doing so, he pointed to the four hundred million dollars his government has said it will spend on domestic violence prevention in the state.
Speaker 4: We've spent a bit of time today talking through the WA government and WA Police, but obviously this is a federal issue. Have we heard from the federal government on this particular incident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we heard from Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth who told the ABC that it seems like Ariel didn't get the response that she needed from police, so that's her weighing in on what we have since learned. She described WA's police's investigation as important, and separately to that, an independent panel commission by the federal government met this week to identify best practice kind of prevention strategies to combat violence.
Speaker 1: Against women and children.
Speaker 3: As I said, it's been a national conversation, a bit of a personal link there that my brother is part of that panel and is helping to advise the government on how to move forward. That we keep having these conversations, there keep being commitments that something will change, but it appears that the strategy isn't working, as you know Billy put to the minister earlier this week. So really interested to see what the panel will come up with. It's due to submit its findings to the government later this year. But this latest incident in Perth is again highlighting the many facets that underpin family and domestic violence and you know the way the gun laws and the way that the police interact with this, and certainly there is a lot of work yet to be done.
Speaker 4: And just another reminder that if you need help you can always contact one eight hundred respect on one eight hundred seven three seven seven three to two. We'll be back again tomorrow. Until then, have a good day. My name is Lily Maddon and I'm a proud Arunda Bunjelung Caalcutin woman from Gadighl country. The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadighl people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.