Speaker 1: Good A, Peter Helly he welcome to you Ain't seen Nothing yet The Movie Podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests comedian actor Josh Thompson.
Speaker 2: The first rule of fake Club is you do not talk about fake club now. It was you afraid of you broke my heart. I admire your luck, mister Bond, James Boss.
Speaker 1: Me haven't any right now.
Speaker 3: You ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 1: Josh Thompson is a comedian actor writer from New Zealand who has been absolutely killing it of late, from the Monkey reboot on Netflix where his pigs he stole the show, to his appearance on Dwayne the Rock Johnson's bio series Young Rock, as well as his turn as Satan in Wellington Paranormal. Everything Joss is doing is turning to gold. About the pleasure of working with Josh on the KeyWe panel show Seven Days on the New Zealand version of the project, and also on How to Stay Married, where Josh appeared in an episode as con and I have to say that episode which we shot in a car park at a supermarket with Tom Budge was so much fun to shoot.
Speaker 4: The three of us laugh fight loons.
Speaker 1: The whole day, and I'm surprised we got through any scenes at all.
Speaker 4: Right now, Josh could be seen.
Speaker 1: In cinemas in the brand new feature film How to Please a Woman. The film has a fantastic cast, including Sally Phillips, Tasma Walton, Alexander England, Eric Thompson, Cameron Daddo, Ross Hammond, amongst others. It centers around an all male cleaning company that begins offering cleaning and sex for its clients. It looks very, very funny. Josh's our first guest from across the Ditch. He's generous, kind, talented and bloody hilarious and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today. Good a.
Speaker 2: I'm Josh Thompson. My three favorite films are Star Wars.
Speaker 4: I got a bad feeling about this.
Speaker 2: Top Secret and Into the Dragon, Don't think feel And up until about three hours ago, I had never seen toy Story. You got friending me. You've got a friend in.
Speaker 1: Me, Damn straight, you have a friend in me. Oscar winner Randy Newman, and thank you for helping bring a whole bunch of new friend into everybody's life from Woody and Buzz, the Slinky, and yes.
Speaker 4: Even missed a Potato Head.
Speaker 1: If all great movies showed life from a different angle, nineteen ninety five's toy story.
Speaker 4: Is surely up there with the best.
Speaker 1: The genuine game changer in cinema. It launched the studio that set a new standard for animation. It really is hard to remember life before Pixar arrived on the scene, but how they did. When Andy receives a new Spaceman toy for his birthday, it sends his much loved toys, led by the dependable cowboy Woody voice by Tom Hanks, into a tailspin. Are they about to be replaced? Who is this new stranger and the box he landed in bolst the Spaceman Buzz light Year played by Tim Allen in these himself to the rest of the gang. It brings an envious side of Woody he never knew actually existed, which leads both he and his new enemy down a very dangerous road.
Speaker 4: And the House and.
Speaker 1: The Pizza Parlor directed by a problematic genius, John Lassida from a story by him and Pete Doctor written by Andrews. Stan Joe ramp Alex Soucklau, problematic, Joss Whedon and Joel Cohen. No, not that, Joel Cohen, Josh Thompson. If I was the pull of string in your back, what would it say.
Speaker 2: To a close location? And that's about it. That's enough fifty radius and nothing more here be learned by me a drink before we pull that things.
Speaker 1: Out of control. First of all, great to see you, mate, and thanks for doing this. I appreciate your busy man a lot on your plate, so thank you most to be here. And why hadn't you seen Toy Story by now? Well, I mean.
Speaker 2: I never really thought about it before, but I guess it's a complicated thing. I think I was at when is it ninety six, ninety five, ninety five? Right, So then I that's me pubescence. I think I was transitioning from a child to you know, a disgusting high school kids. So then I was like Toy Story a bunch of toys. No, I'm moving into a different area of movie, right, I've done that. So there's a bit of that, there was a bit of there's a bit of like pet people are So there was so much talk about it, and I kind of weirdly have a weird thing where I don't like to get told what's good. I'd be like, no, I'll tell you what's good about forty years after everybody else has founded it. It's quite good, thank you very much. And there was a lot of talk about the CGI and like how amazing was something like because it would show the boy and it would show them that, you know the trailer, there would be the boy and then there'll be the toys. And I was like, there's not that much difference, Like I can tell which one is a human, like that doesn't really look like a real human. So it was a bit a lot of that stuff. And weirdly, I just come hot off a my cousin brought me a Lion soundtrack and on cassette tape and I played it so much. I loved it all. I like Circle. I was like, because I grew up on a farm right in the South Islands, I'll be walking around singing Circle of Life at the top of my lungs like all young farm boys do. And in the Southland, New Zealand, Nah, yeah, and just like going at that And and there's that one with Jeremy Irons. What's this that the Scar, that song that's the Scar sings.
Speaker 1: I've only blind King once and that was the very first episode of this podcast with Tom Right. Yeah, how long ago did you say it? Well, twenty midway through twenty twenty this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I've only seen it about five years ago. But it's just so weird. But so I ruined that tape that like that Jeremy Irons that be prepared. It's such an incredible his performance is so amazing, the way he's all consonants and stuff. And I'll be dancing around the herding the sheep. Let's just let listen, like really getting like a very special chart, and and then I was like, oh, there's the next one. So I didn't even see that. But then the next one came out and it was Toy Story and instead of Alton John, and like two different but you know, there's a Elton John soundtrack. And then there's like the soundtrack of the musical. It's some guy called Randy Newman, and I was like, who's this guy? And he's like some sort of you know sort of it's just a big man at a piano, and I was like, I'm the only big man at a piano around here, my friend, and I don't know, I was, I just I just like, no, not for me. I'll watch it later on when all the kerfuffles died down, and I sort of had a plan. I haven't. I've barely seen any Disney movies because I always heard the parents watched it a gazillion times with their kids. So I thought, when I have kids, then I can run it. You run my life by watching it ten thousand times. Right, It's well a complicated answer. I appreciate it, and I thank you. But I so I was twenty in ninety five. I think I'm about five or so years older.
Speaker 4: Than you are.
Speaker 1: And I I actually remember seeing it by myself, and like you, I had heard.
Speaker 4: So there's so much buzz about it.
Speaker 1: Part of the part and remembering this is you know, Steve Jobs and Apple and you know, like like he was, this is kind of launching to help.
Speaker 4: Kind of kind of.
Speaker 1: You know, help sell computer ware in a way and hardware like this is.
Speaker 4: A lot of the story. Yeah, yeah, Steve Jobs had a lot to do with Pixar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh what that's right. Yeah, So there was a lot of buzz about it. I went and saw it by myself, and I was like, oh wow, like this is yeah, this is a game changer. This this animation I was. I was more blown away. Even though I could tell the difference between the boy and the toys Josh.
Speaker 4: Like like you could. I was still very impressed with what I was seeing and.
Speaker 1: Have continued to be And it's been amazing to see the evolution of those that animation and the craftsmanship of those films. But we're going to talk about Toy Story much more in depth. I want to, I really want to know what you thought of it. But you have mentioned three excellent films.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Let's start with the Goat the King. Star Wars.
Speaker 1: It's really I mean, I'm a I'm a massive Star Wars fan. I don't officially put it in my top three, and it's kind of embarrassing that I don't. But but we had we had Adam Christie, a great, very funny Canadian comedian, and he just made the point and it kind of made me feel embarrassed I hadn't put it in my top three. He goes, why does everybody avoid puting Star Wars in it in the as their favorite film? Everyone's favorite film in Star Wars. Let's as all move on and like you know, you know, put other films in front of those Star Wars everything begins and Andrew star Wars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I even did you know? I did like film papers at university and they would all talk about what their favorite films were, and I was the only one that said Star Wars with an electri were about eighty people. And everyone went quiet, and I was like, I would be doing a disservice to myself and the film if I pretended it It wasn't the most affecting film that I ever saw growing up, probably affected me to this day. And I because I watched it. It was I think it was a VHS that we borrowed from someone else. It wasn't taped off the TV, and so it was start to finish, and I and and it was at a time when my parents didn't get home till five point thirty, so I would walk home from the country school across a bunch of paddocks, avoiding animals and strange farmers, and then I would end up at home and I would put the tape on and I and it was the perfect amount. I had enough time to get home, feed the chickens. For real, we had chickens, and then it wasn't there are hungry chickens, and they did, and then.
Speaker 1: I would chicks.
Speaker 4: Then I'll masturbate and then.
Speaker 2: Stuff to do. I've got stuff to do. But there's no one else on the farm. I'm there by my stuff. My older brothers were, you know, were away like left left, it's were they know. There's some some sort of some sort of form of bad parenting go anyway, I was alone on a farm and I would put on Star Wars. Oh, my brother's are boarding school this right, I put on Star Wars and I watched the whole thing and I watched. I did that for about two years, and I used to be able to go through the entire movie audio soundtrack, just making the entire thing by myself, even like the RTD two there I can't do that. But like like the jar, the jar was everything like and like, and I thought it would be quite a cool trick to do. But I think my parents got quite concerned and then they kind of like had the tape for all once you just you know, what's this one's called labyrinth. So then but I I became yeah, it was. I became incredibly fascinated by it, all that all that world building, any any sort of magazines, magazines, behind the scenes. All that stuff, to me was what movies were about. Was like using anything you can, like the amazing sound effects, the miniatures, the force perspective, all that sort of stuff to sell magic. I was like, this is what movies are. And I spent so much my life trying to do that stuff because I've done some directing and writing stuff as well. Instead of learning how to tell a story properly, which is what would have been a better thing to do, I just can't focused on like special effects.
Speaker 1: Wow, and it has it has served you well?
Speaker 4: Did the Eye?
Speaker 2: Was it? Was it?
Speaker 4: The Eye?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Also? You know, growing up on a farm and the first character we meet is is a farm boy who then goes on to be the most important person in the galaxy. Did that play a part obviously?
Speaker 2: You? Yeah, maybe subconsciously, maybe deeper, on a deeper, deeper level. I just even now I'm almost too scared to watch it now because as soon as those blue words come up, and as soon as that big spaceship comes out, and I just I'm taken away in that big space ship and then an even bigger one comes and keeps going going and going and going and going going, and I'm just like, what is happening? What is going on?
Speaker 1: So is Star Wars in episode four and New Hope? So that's your Is that your favorite of the Are you just saying Star Wars kind of.
Speaker 4: Four?
Speaker 2: And I did go through and try to watch them all in order, including some of the animated series, and and I got quite fatigued. Yeah, there was there was a lot of sort of space admin in the first three and.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of there was a lot of space admin.
Speaker 2: I mean, and people always people always give ju j O a bed. I mean, he has this place, you know, like I mean, there's kids love him like the kids. Yeah, I found him deeply annoying. I will admit that.
Speaker 1: But I also I'm tired of this, you know, the Star Wars discourse that goes online. You know what, you know, my favorite favorite Star Wars that I enjoy watching, whatever the one is that I'm watching at that time. I love being in those worlds, like I thought was good. It wasn't amazing, you know, but I thought it was I loved being in that world there are some episodes that were stronger than others. I love the Mandalorian, I cannot wait for Obi Wan and I just cannot wait to be in that world.
Speaker 4: And even a bad Star Wars film.
Speaker 1: And I only really think maybe maybe the Attack of Clients is the one that I've I think failed, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's just that one's very heavy of like no subtext, Like there's just so much of him walking around and going, I'm so angry right now. I'm like, you can act that, you can do something else. That's what makes acting so cool. Yes, we get it, like you don't say it's such a strang shock to go from that, from like the the you know, the wet of Harrison Ford to like, does someone walking around saying exactly what they're thinking?
Speaker 1: Oh no, and he's got such a he's cut such a rough time aiding Christiansen.
Speaker 4: Fault not his fault. Nobody could act those those words.
Speaker 1: It's Harrison Ford said to George lu Because you can type this, you can't say it, you know, like you know, yeah, YEA love Star Wars. Always welcome to talking about Star Wars. Top Secret is another film that I had on VHS. It's funny you mentioned that Star Wars. I've never watched a Star Wars that was taped off the TV. It just occurred to me when you mentioned that yours wasn't taped off the TV either, because I usually I remember having top secret and I can almost remember where the pauses were and the ads were almost at the end of the edge they came on. But Star Wars was was always very clean. There was no like red Roostrap. I can remember halfway through a scene the top Secret for those who don't know the Zucker Brothers, and it's you know, pre naked around the Flying High period Flying.
Speaker 2: High as well. Yeah, it's it's so dense and it's such a like because we had it taped from VHS, so I've never actually seen I've never seen the start. I've only seen it from like one minute and by the town when we found the remote and I found a you're taking over Mum's cooking shot. He's taking over Mum's cooking shot.
Speaker 4: You know, like you have a labored top secret, do not tape over.
Speaker 2: You better believe it. And I think I think one time I saw Dad push it down and I dove towards the tape over, Mum's cooking to do another. Stop sinking you mad man? Yeah, it's it's so and just like it's so densely laiden with jokes that are all so incredible, like you could say it to anybody who's seen it, and you know, like the guy on the phone, let me know if his condition changes, he hangs up, he says he's dead. Do you where they go?
Speaker 1: One always I always loved was the when he's meeting you know, haven't we met before?
Speaker 2: What are you drinking? But even like it's it's so there's so it's also silly, but like just like learning humor. Like there's the shootout and the and the thing, and there's windows, right, so one guy like smashed the window and he shoots out of it, and the next guy there's not there's not one unbroken window to smash. He struggles to find one he can smash the shoot and especially then he shoots out of it. And then this guy goes to smash it and it doesn't break and it bends his gun, and then he tries a sledgehammer, and then like then there's another one when that's smashing it and it does naughts and cross it's like it's just it's just like a perfect way to learn progression of humor. I thought it was just so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you and you had moments like Nick Rivers, like Belkilm was first film A Yeah, you had like Nick Rivers and the he's he's the room man's I forget her name, but yeah, this it still sounds like a bad movie. And they slowly look to the camera and like, yeah, like learning different styles of you. It's not all the same joke. There are visual you know, there are this clever, witty you know, one line is there's you know, there's so many things.
Speaker 2: There's message the Peter cushion with the magnifying glass and his eyes and takes it away and I just happens to be really bad the entire time. And then you realize the whole scenes filmed backwards. They're not speaking seedwish sweedish like, and then you're like it's it's increating, you know. Then there's like stuff I never got until I watched it like later, like it's I get to gift in prison and it's this massive jackamer with a fest on it called the Anal Intruder.
Speaker 4: Just this is lawyer or something.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's so.
Speaker 1: Good anally truly became I think like a joke that I almost forgot that it came from top secret. Actually I did forget, but like whenever, like there was a joke. You know, I went to an all boys, you know, Christian Brothers College, you know, so there was always jokes like that going on, and there's always the angling Drudi, and I completely forgot that that came from top secret. I mean Nigel in the in the cow suit and like getting getting taken from behind, he's the face and the why are we always as a bloody rush?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, but like they're mapping out like he's drawing on the in the dirt with a stick, and then it comes across the little miniature of a cow, and then it's a whole miniature of a castle, and then there's.
Speaker 4: A train.
Speaker 2: So good, it's so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen top Secret, track it down however you can and we Bruce Lee has come up a couple of times, and I think the dragon may have been maybe the second time it's come up. If you were you always a big Bruce fan, well, always.
Speaker 2: Big Bruce fan, big through partial to martial arts stuff, but in particular this one. And I think there's when you know, when I could afford to buy my own VHS tape, I went and bought like the wide screen edition. I'd seen the other one, and so much I'd seen on TV was cropped to four by three, So I mean I saw the wide screen one. You can actually see what he's doing with the nunchucks because it's like that big, big wide cinema CinemaScope or that big, big wide you actually see what he's doing. But usually when you see on TV, it's just his face going. But like you can actually see his hands. It's like it was incredible. You know. It's got a young Samo Hung doing a lot of acrobatics at the start. But there's a couple of sort of weird references to New Zealand and it. There's a guy named Bolo excuse me my parsision bolow Jung, I think, and that's his character name. He changed his name to his character name after the movie. He's a really muscular guy. I con't mean if you've seen it, but he's a big, musty guy.
Speaker 1: I've seen. My recall is not amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not the big bear, but he's the big bad guy's big muscular henchman, right, and the big the bag guy goes blow and then Bowler walks up and says and then and then and then fights. Now in the Simon language, bolo means ball bag, so it's it was very funny. So if you if I'm not saying on but like anytime anyone goes and you allow, it's a very good time. The other great highlight is there is a Kiwi character in it.
Speaker 4: And what is his name?
Speaker 2: I write it down because is that he fights a guy he's called Parsons from New Zealand, and I remember watching it. We're in a Bruce Lee for it's the most exciting thing. And he's on a boat and this key guy's are Bully and he's beating up guys on the boat and Bruce Lee sort of doesn't challenge him, and he tries the key. He keeps trying to get him into a fight, and he has a famous slane where he goes, he goes.
Speaker 1: Wants your style.
Speaker 2: This is the Key guy, by the way, and that is a very good impersonation. The entire movie filmed without sound, so like they dubbed it all afterwards, which you can tell, you can tell, but this guy he goes once to your style and then Brusley says the out of fighting without fighting, and the keeping guy goes the art of fighting without fighting, and then he gets on a little boat. Brusley sees where it's gonna have a little boat on the sorry Bruceley sees is going to have a fight with him on the tiny boat behind this ship that they're on. The key guy gets on the boat and then Brusley lets out a rope and then he gets dragged behind the ship and the boat actually sinks. So apparently what in real life is it was actually an Aussie guy actor who did the sound for it, and then the producer thought he didn't sound keep you enough, and they got some guy that dub over it who doesn't sound anything like in New Zealander, anything like an Australian would have been fighting. It sounds nothing like it's the out of fighting without fighting. It's so funny, it's so bizarre and so shot and such a for like the hopes are so high. He's a New Zealander. He gets called in New Zealand and then you hear him talk It's so disappointing because.
Speaker 4: We're always so.
Speaker 1: In Australia here. We were always so excited to hear Australia mention, even just questioned. But the idea, you know, the feelings we got that rain man had to you know, come to Melbourne, Australia that gets a quantus flight just had us buzzing for years.
Speaker 2: Even Olivia, Newton, John and Greece was like, way, they're in a hold in Australia that's fairly close to New Zealand. Enough. That was enough for us, That was enough. But to hear someone singled out and then hear the worst ze on accent ever committed to film history. Yes, the turns Day's Aussie guy was he was a martial artist who then do you know the brand Zogs it's like a goggle swim.
Speaker 4: Were sort of okay, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He later began that brand.
Speaker 2: Apparently when they were filming that, when the boat started filling up, the crew were like, oh god, there's a hole in the boat, and he started yelling at don't worry, I'm from Australia, I can swim. They just filmed him in a boat that's thinking and he just got into the water and had to swim.
Speaker 1: There you go, I've got some Yeah, Josh, let's let's get into it. I'm busting to know. I'm just going to ask you a flat out It's Toy Story, directed by John Lassiter, written by a whole bunch of pixture creators to actually go on and you know, like write a lot of the massive, massive Pixar films. I peak, Doctor ends up riding Up and inside Out and more recently Soul and and Andrew Stanton Wrights Finding Nemo. So it's really the talent involved is amazing. But did you enjoy highest gracing film Toy Story?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean yeah, I thought it was. I felt like a perfect picture, Like it was just kind of had it all.
Speaker 1: It was tight.
Speaker 2: It was so good to see a picture that, you know, a film that wasn't three days long, and it was just great like that, just funny, and then the chase scenes and the action and the you know, it was really relatable, like feeling like you're losing not on the scene anymore, like not so yeah, like not.
Speaker 1: Being replaced is being replaced. I mean, I feel like this movie has such you know it mainlines, you know, emotionally, you know, from the from the absolute get go, like we know straight away, even that movie of the song you Got a Friend in Me by Randy Human, who for me really only exists in Pixar films. I know he's had a long career before Pixar, but for me, it's like, really it begins and end ends with with a Pixar with Randy Human. But he like, that's that song? Does it actually does it? It's like some movies just find that right song. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And this one it's almost a character in itself, but it's almost like it's it's telling you the story really and and you they do so well.
Speaker 4: They did the work so.
Speaker 1: Economically as far as you feel, you know, the relationship between Andy and Woody from the get go. There's a little scene with the you know, the cardboard cutouts, which is beautiful, and that's really it. That and the song and your own connections with your own toys.
Speaker 4: You are there straight.
Speaker 2: Away, I mean, and I take it all about everything I though about rounding you like it really it hit me quite hard. And also there's a there's a shot when they're like it's Andy's feet and what his feet it's just their feet in the foregun by sitting on a chair and their feet are hanging over the end, and the cheer is spinning around yep, and it goes around and around and just that, like now I've got kids of my own, Like anytime I see like a grown up, you know, the poster for Logan yeahh is like a Logan Logan Wolverine, and it's got a little girl's handhelding his big gnarled hand like that movie at that poster, not the movie, and gets broke down like I can't. I've got I've got to tell you on before I'm about to cry at any point.
Speaker 1: Yes, So anytime I see anything little dix to like a big thing, it was really really touched me most of these tiredness.
Speaker 4: No, You're exactly right.
Speaker 1: I became eighty percent more emotional, if not more, if not one hundred percent seriously watching movies post you know, once you have kids is a different experience, and it's kind of joyous. You kind of do kind of you know, lean into things. I've cried in movies with the Rock, you know, like you know, because his kids something up to his kids, and I'm just like, you know, oh my god, what am I doing? But this is great at the same time, and I'm embracing it. But yeah, this, this is this just feels like it's got all the emotions. I think one of those really good, really early is it lets you know that it's this. There's gonna be jokes for adults, Like the jokes are really smart, you know, And when when? When? What He's going to going around and getting everdy ready for the announcement and then the party is going to be there. I think mister head says, you know, the toddler's playing with him. He just three enough, it's on my bucks ages three, and I'm not supposed to be baby sitting princess drawers.
Speaker 4: So this is kind of the idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's aware, and also the idea that we you know, it plays on the idea that we all probably at some point thought, do our toys come to life when I'm not in the room, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah I did, and I yeah, I mean I don't. I mean I probably thought they were alive a lot. I used to think people used to live in the television when we turn it on. That just acted out for us. That was up until about two years ago.
Speaker 1: There was a famous ad in the Strada shop was on New Zealand. There's a kick Cat ad where these people at an atm and they there was people in the atm like having a kick Cat and they accidentally kind of put the wrapper of the kit Cat into the twenty dollars note and so the people at the atm received this KitKat wrapper.
Speaker 4: So I always had this idea that there were people in the atm.
Speaker 2: There's so many like nostalgic moments for like those little soldiers and how they had that imperfect molding, like the little sort of the little sort of circles on the back with the plastic mold would like poke out of the thing and it would just be sort of slightly imperfect the.
Speaker 4: Detail in that.
Speaker 1: And apparently the creators, you know, they they basically nailed you know, yeah, not through their feet and they can go JC on a spit. They they nailed like planks to their feet. They get the motion of that. Oh really right, Well that was like I remember what I think. I remember watching it for the first simon thinking oh this is this really early on I thought this is great, but I think it actually was that the box of the Army Man that I thought, because they were certainly toys that I one of the earlier toys that I remember playing with a lot. And he's had the different kinds of slightly colored you know, the the Aussi soldiers the key were green.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Germans were like a blue, kind of a blueish.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, I've a bit color blindes. I may got the golors a little bit wrong.
Speaker 2: And then you're gradually are quite a few from like your mates ones accidentally, and you're like, I got a bazika from Brian.
Speaker 4: But those that that whole you know, military mission.
Speaker 1: They go on to kind of get the sound speaker down there in the in the downstairs. It's so great.
Speaker 3: Sergeant Establisher, recon post downstairs, Cold Red.
Speaker 2: You know what to do?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, all right man you ready code red repeat We are cold re time playing Charlie Execute.
Speaker 2: But when the paratrips, because I used to build like little Hanky, I'd like buff them out in my window with like Hanky's like, so the paraship so good.
Speaker 1: I've liked the little touches of having, like even the board games which you don't really play apart but operation kind of in the background.
Speaker 2: Battleship. It's a great like when they're lowering out all the monkeys and they were need more monkeys. We need more monkeys to get down there. That's the whole barrel. It's so good. That's but also something really dark, like yes, like when that hang on there's an exo skitch early on his drawer and he pulls out and you know, the excess draws a gun and what he pulls out a gun and that's really cute. But then later on when the they think he's betrayed them as it pad potato Head holds up the exo skitch and it's got just drawing of a noose.
Speaker 1: There is there is like a kind of a grim undertie. I mean the way they all turn on me, like who has been there kind of fearless leader and the kind of a good friend, like he's a pretty happy, kind of go lucky guy. Uh and they just turn on him on a on a you know, based on it's basically, you know, one somebody's word against the other. It's it's it's it's the is it the phone? I think the phone kind of says or the card, the remote control car. He kind of said, no, you know, he he doesn't say he makes enough noise, and then they translate it, you know, so they translate as wood.
Speaker 4: He basically got rid of buzz.
Speaker 2: It's a metaphor for social media. It's a it's a metaphor for Johnny Depp, Amber Herd trp like it's all just his I.
Speaker 1: Was not expecting the death Herd Triver come up in that conversation about toy story.
Speaker 4: I must I must be.
Speaker 1: I've heard, I've heard thinking about Amber heard and Johnny Depp when it was just about pistol and boo. You know, that's why I feel like I want to cut off my knowledge of their of their lives. I mean, and you know we meet said, you know, across the road and he what a piece of work.
Speaker 2: Josh, what about Like, yeah, now this again the c G I that there's the little there's the baby and the cot and there's Andy who I almost found him as disturbing looking as said, like said like I had a missing tooth and like a scull on. But there's something I wasn't ready for. The because the animate the movement's incredible. In the animation, there's some good textraal stuff. But every now and then, like the eyes are quite terrifying or something. I just I remember I haven't seen it until Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well literally in this podcast, everyone and I reminds, I remind somebody reminder sorry, our audience, that I'm always talking to somebody who is processed. He's still processes this film. Yeah right, you will probably feel differently with better or worse about this film in forty minutes time. And yeah, tomorrow or next week you may make feel differently. And you watch it with your kids at some point imagined did you watch it? You watch it by yourself or did you watch it with the kids.
Speaker 2: I watched it by myself. Yeah, I'm gonna I wasn't. My kids still get scared by stuff. Although it's very The CI guy is very reminiscent. There's a thing called Coca Melon, which is this massive kids thing that it all looks very similar to that sort of thing, and they're very used to that. Wheels on the bus go around and round gets played so much in my house. Yeah, and so I think. But I've done heaps of kids animation, and like you know, there's a claymation one called Kiddy and Low that I've done, which is really speaks to toddlers and stuff. It's almost got like a bluey vibe younger, and I was like, I couldn't wait to shut it to my four year old daughter, and she's like breaked out by the way the skin moves the clamation of the picture's skins, so she starts screaming. The episode is like three minutes long, and like one minute and she's screaming. We have quite looked at a lot of Daddy's work here, but yeah, I wanted to watch it first make sure it was okay, because God, this is the Sids kids, SAIDs toys are the mutants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and even even if you noticed, but the carpet in Sid's house is basically the same hexagon shape as that in the Shining.
Speaker 4: That was a lovely time.
Speaker 1: Again, yeah, said is is? I mean, yeah, he's pretty much. I guess he's the villain of the story, isn't he. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think there's where he tapes the cracker to the soldier and blows them up. It's quite a big explosion. Yeah, if you even noticed, like that soldier got blown I'd say thirty meters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he got the job done.
Speaker 1: He knows what certainly did, but it is it's important that we see that because then when, of course, you know, later on when Woody and Buzz under his hostage, there's real jeopardy.
Speaker 4: We we know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this kid doesn't muck around.
Speaker 2: The and the and the crackers that get strapped to Buzz is sobic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like six times bigger. I know, it's it's uh, it's great. It's interesting to us reading a bit about it that that Woody, because I was watching it going, oh, I forgot that wood He has this kind of bit of a jerk kind of personality. Yeah, you actually think you're the Buzz light Year.
Speaker 2: Oh all this time I thought it wasn't act.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, look it's the real.
Speaker 2: Buzz light Year. You're mucking me, aren't you. Oh no, no, no, no no no no, both looking alien.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And in the earlier drafts he was even more a bigger jerk, like he would like really he would like you really like take the piss out of Slinky, and you know, he would call it names and he was just and that was driven by apparently Jeffrey Katzenberg kept on saying make it. I want it to be meaner. I don't want to be so you know, I want teenagers to come over. They're gonna be put off. I was just about toys, but I wanted to be meaner, and he was equating kind of meaning with cooler, and so that they broke towards that, and then they did a screening and everyone just said, well, this movie sucks. This is not getting released like this is this is horrible. Who's going to like this film? He got toys that are and they're mean, Like this doesn't make sense, and and and Katzenberg said to somebody, why isn't this film working? And he said, because this is not the film John Lassida actually wanted to make. He actually made it with I Think a good heart, and he and you have kind of taken them in a different direction. So they kind of they they said, it didn't actually take that much to kind of correct it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Tom back and does rework some of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get mister Hanks to while you're shooting Castaway, if you're gonna you get time off that island. If you get a microphone to you in the FedEx package, do you a sandwich? Tom?
Speaker 2: Oh, Sorry, that's right.
Speaker 1: Originally it was actually and because I mean, you understand what they because they need to go. I think pick Doctor said that they do. You know, as you know, Josh, you've written so much and you've been in so many movies and and and TV shows that there needs to be the hero's journey.
Speaker 4: So you do need you do.
Speaker 1: He does need to go, as Peter Doctor said, from selfish to selfless. You know, yes, you can't get your selfless all the way through.
Speaker 4: That it needs to be a journey.
Speaker 1: But I think I think it's enough that when we see him be such a great guy and great friend and a great leader, and then it's the threat of Buzz coming in that he almost discovers this, Like I said an intro that that he wasn't even aware was there. This this envy and jealousy and it drives him in a moment of madness, and we got to know he gets it straight away, and that's important. But we see him commit this kind of act of you know, of horror in a way pushing you know, and you know he didn't mean to push, just wanted the umping down to the side where.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, it's such an amazing job of Often when I see a film, I'll be aware of what's happening, like like I know that I'll be like, Oh, this is where it's gonna be a real deck, and he like starts being a real deck and it's like ah, and then it's very jarring. It's just like I was kind of enjoying until they started being he could this one sort of slowly crept up and then you go, ah, he's actually a of a debt. I mean, really really well handled. I don't, I mean, I don't. I mean it's a very beloved film. But I had a lot of questions about toys sentience, like when it first came up, when the soldiers were doing their mission and then a ball rolled past them and they all jumped out of the way, and like I was like, oh, is the ball going to talk to them? And then the ball didn't talk to them. I was like, which toys? Which toys are talking?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well both.
Speaker 1: Peep's interesting in that area because she is like ceramic and goes like a lamp set in the in the sister's kind of room. She's the one that's not I guess technically a toy.
Speaker 2: To well she's very grown up. I'll tell you that much. That It's just I was sort of the sort of the only the only female in the cast.
Speaker 4: She sent me. Yeah, voice slu.
Speaker 2: The soldiers or soldiery the potato goes are big like bo Slack.
Speaker 1: Voiced by Annie Puts from Ghostbusters. And and I think I think it was John Lassida's wife who said to him, probably stop sexually harassing stuff. But also next next time, if you're into a sequel, you need to have a stronger female.
Speaker 4: Character like.
Speaker 1: Jesse. Another a cow girl gets introduced in Toyster. Spoiler no spoilers, no spoilers. I wanted to point out I mentioned in the intro Joel Cohen, who kind of co wrote this film, and people might go, oh, Joe, come on, he wrote this, This is well, I love the Carmen brothers. Not the same bloke. There are there's another Joel Cohen. He writes, like he wrote the Garfield movies. And you may remember the first Garfield movie, Bill Murray isn't And anyone's like, why why is Bill Murray doing doing a Garfield movie? He thought, because he basically doesn't have a manager, and it's really hard to get on the Bill Murray and he'll just and he basically just heard that Joel Cohen has written a Garfield movie and agreed.
Speaker 4: Just based on that.
Speaker 1: And then he's on seat guard. This doesn't seem as sharp, is why am I here? And realize somebody told him, No, that's not where's Ethan? That is really good, really good.
Speaker 2: So Buzz thinks he's a toy and it's he's got a great journey as well. It sees him goes through and he doesn't know that he's a toy and until he sees this commercial at Sid's house TV.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I feel it, Buzz is actually the heart of the movie. To be honest, I think for a long time, if you ask me, without having you know, before I watched it last night, I would have said, surely Wood is the heart of the movie. But I want to I kind of think maybe Buzz is because he's got his massive journey and and he's like, yeah, at that moment, you just you know, and please go on interrupted your point. But the at that moment he realizes is the most I think, the most kind of gut wrenching moment of the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well absolutely, and then followed up by like how they got to him basically being drunk in a bar a ka, you know, being is wearing a dress and had a tea party and being drunk.
Speaker 4: Marie Antemante, I think was there, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, And what was he called like missus missus nesbit a drunk confiding scene. It's I mean, it's it's it's brilliant, it's brilliant. I was got confused because he thinks he's real as a space stranger and eventually learns that he's not. And that's kind of him, right, but he still knows to be a toy around Andy, So he if he really thought he was a space ranger, why is he not space ranging around the humans? Why does he say? Why does he drop and become animate around humans? That's what a toy does, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I guess I guess, like that's that's his body functioning as as like he doesn't necessarily control that, like he hasn't really very weak because well he hasn't been around. He's basically come from He's basically come from the box. So this is and in his mind, he's come from out of space. You know, in the box is space like a ship like a spaceship. So that's his rocket, and he's come from another planet, but he's actually, in actuality, he's actually come from from Walmart. Yeah, so when he when and he is in the room, he doesn't necessarily, you know, even though he might think he may want to, and he may, he can't.
Speaker 4: That's not who he is.
Speaker 1: He's actually he's a toy. He's still a toy like the others are a toy. So he's he's going to react the same way, whether he should have maybe realized or yeah. I mean it's a very interesting point. And I'm not yeah, because I guess the others aren't.
Speaker 2: They're knowingly they're knowingly dropping, like they literally tell each other, watch out someone's coming. Drop yes, watch out someone's coming. You got to stop. He's just I don't know why is he doing? It doesn't matter that That was sort of I struggle with that throughout the film, and then I was like, do all the toys go through this process? Do they all come out and thinking they're a springy dog or a does did he think he was a cowboy for a period of time or is it just this one anomaly?
Speaker 1: Yes? He hasny podcast at gmail dot com. You can get on the speak pipe and there maybe let us know your your views. Why doesn't Buzz or why does Buzz play along if he doesn't believe that he's just a toy? Just Thompson asking a big questions, probably big question.
Speaker 2: Probably thirty years too late.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't I haven't heard that raise, to be honest, I mean, haven't you. I don't talk about toy story daily.
Speaker 2: An't you a big toy story?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But how do you bring it up all the time? I was just always bringing up toy store New Zealand le are known as the toy Story. Yeah, Peter Buzz, how this was?
Speaker 1: I can tell you this about the toy story. It was based on a short film from nine to eighty eight that John Lessen made called.
Speaker 4: Tin Tin Toy.
Speaker 1: It was and that Yeah, and so it was originally going to be the character in their Tiny which is like an old antiquated toy. Tin Toy was going to be a buzz light Year, and then they realized now they wanted it to be a flashy something a bit flashy represented the new and there's also kind of there's two things going on as far as originally they Jim Carrey was going to be Buzz and Paul Newman was going to be Woody, and the idea behind that was like Jim Kerrey representing New Hollywood and Paul Newman representing old Hollywood. The only reason it didn't happen is not too expensive. Paul Newman ended up playing Doc in the Cars franchise, which are you. I'm sure you'll get to at some point at last last movie he made before he's.
Speaker 2: Passing, and they already had a newman, you know on the books. He kind of random to be confused to new men. Paul Newman ends up singing, You've got a friendly man. That's kind of that.
Speaker 1: And also buzz light Year was originally going to be called Luna Larry and they changed it to Tempest, which doesn't seem to fit. They decided they inspired by Buzz Audron, they Buzz Lightyear, which is the right move, absolutely the right move.
Speaker 2: Because Tim Toy, because I know, because I know that there's so much I was looking for, like little Headen Easter eggs or something that there's a there's a bunch of scenes in front of a bookcase. Yes, and from a boot called ten Toys.
Speaker 1: I think all those stories they are Easter Eggs, So they're all based on either short films that the some of the writers had done, or people within Pixar had done. Pixar movies are always chock full of Easter eggs. One in case, I forget to mention it later, but Sid ends up appearing as a cameo in I think Toy Story three. He's a garbage man and the only way you can well, it kind of looks like him as an adult, but he's wearing the skull T shirt, so that's that's his journey three round, so you need to go ahead. He goes to three minutes the garbage run.
Speaker 2: It's just a close up of a scarf. I get it. I get it. Another one I think, I don't know if it's an It was probably know what. But when they sell the house, the name of the real estate firm is Virtual Realty, just looking about like virtual reality, and I was like, okay.
Speaker 4: It's a nice touch.
Speaker 1: Actually, when when he's written Andy's so, Andy's written his name on the soul of wood his shoe that I think the D is back to front, the D or the end is back to front. And then when he writes it on buzzes sole of his shoe. He spells it the right way rounds. Just a nice progression of age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I saw something that and I thought that he looks at his foot, Yeah, Buzz looks at his foot and then say something. And I was like, something's probably happening here and you've missed it, the idiot, Yeah you would. He is going to bring it up in front of everybody and you're gonna be shamed.
Speaker 4: So you need to talk.
Speaker 1: Did you, Josh, were you watching it? Were you distracted during that moment? We are, We're you're on your phone.
Speaker 2: Josh, I'm not on trial here. I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not going on screens. Everybody. Look, life is happening screen. Look at the biggest.
Speaker 2: I was watching it on my phone.
Speaker 1: Well, Dave O'Neil did admit to me that he wrote he was Shrek on his phone for this pot.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad you found a TV.
Speaker 1: I did like the way they do very economically again, because this is like an eighty Like you said, you mentioned, like great to watch a film that is actually under ninety minutes, it's like eighty four minutes or something. Very economically. They the way they replaced they show that the threat of Buzz, you know, from the posters to the drawings, and then that great shot they have of the Doner cover actually yeah, on the Doner cover, the camera from above, this panning up. It's it's so good, it's so well done. We talked about picture obviously come up a fair bit. They are giants, but we're also just just in storytelling the idea of the jeopardy and I think and the steaks, and I think this movie does it so well. Like if you take when when Buzz and Wood you get caught in his room, like there are so many attempts to get out of trouble, and like they're all thwarted, you know, and it's so it's it's so good, Like I think the first attempt is to try to get out, and they do it well because it's there's always a physical attempt, and it was also an emotional attempt, like they try to get and the dog, the dog is there, you know. And then and then Buzz finds out that he's actually a toy in that moment we've gone to briefly discuss, which is such a you know, and then finding out like season he's made in Taiwan, you know. Yeah, it's so, it's so beautiful. And so he's getting drunk, so he's battling this emotional issue. What he's trying to work out the physical way of getting out. And then the second attempt is when they find a way to get a crusty I think it is a slinky. That slinky comes over to them, and then the slinkys.
Speaker 2: With the slight an incredible throat, incredible throat. I couldn't make that throat.
Speaker 4: No, it's for a toy as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's start a documentary. I just say I shouldn't bring it up. But I couldn't make that throw.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's a point worth making.
Speaker 1: And and and then that's when the toys turn on body and it's so it's I mean, I think it's very funny. The way he's trying to pretend that he's giving high fine, he's just got the arm. The fact that the buzz is literally broken.
Speaker 4: Hey what.
Speaker 2: Oh am, I glad to see you guy.
Speaker 3: I know you come back, Woodie.
Speaker 1: What are you doing over there?
Speaker 3: The long story ball explain later here Cat's.
Speaker 1: I got it?
Speaker 2: Would he he got it? Would he go and sleep? No? Just just tie it on to something. Wait wait, wait, wait, I got a better idea.
Speaker 4: How about we go.
Speaker 2: We'll take stupid pills this morning.
Speaker 3: Have you forgotten what he did to Buzz and now you want to let him back over here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no no, you got it.
Speaker 2: You got it all wrong with dad. Buzz is fine, Buzz is right.
Speaker 1: Here, he's with me.
Speaker 3: You are a liar him not Buzz. Come over here and just tell the nice toys that you're that you're not dead just a second, Buzz, will you get up here and give me a hand? Ah, that's very funny, Buzz, This is serious.
Speaker 2: Woody, where'd you go?
Speaker 4: He's flying? Buss ain't there?
Speaker 1: Oh? Hi, Buzz?
Speaker 3: Why don't you say hello to the guys over there?
Speaker 2: Ore you fellows to infinity and beyond.
Speaker 3: Hey look it's Buzz.
Speaker 1: Hey Buzz.
Speaker 3: Let's show the guys our new secret best friend's handshake. Give me five man, So you see we're friends now.
Speaker 2: Guys, aren't we? Buzz you Bud, give me a hug.
Speaker 1: I love you too, See it is Buzz.
Speaker 2: Now give me at the lights, potato. Wait just a minute, what are you trying to pull? Nothing? Who is disgusting.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, what you think I swear for that jury, I hope said pull your voice box out?
Speaker 2: Yeah free, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Help us, lets you out.
Speaker 4: No one.
Speaker 2: It's like, come on, let's get out of it.
Speaker 1: And this is what pick I do so well. They do it so well in particularly in Finding Nemo. They just crime characters into the ground like they make it. They they they make it easy for themselves. They make the odds insurmountable.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen Finding Nemo, but I hear that's about someone trying to find Nemo.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure where you heard that, mate.
Speaker 2: Wow, I don't spoil it for me. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Then Buzz is in is in that crate and you think and then yeah, and then the other way around, well I think wood he's in the crate and Buzz is pushing the cry. You think, okay, it's free, and then the toolbox falls on him. It's like never, it's never, never any And then later on when they're when they're they're chasing the car and they're on the remote control car and you think they're gonna make it, and then the batteries run out, and then the match and then they realize the cargoes pass and it blows out the match. Like it's just constantly making it impossible. Just when you think there's an out, Pixar do it so well. They just it's not happening.
Speaker 2: It's so creative. And I think probably my biggest laugh was when I think the dog may have woody in his mouth. They're chasing behind the truck. Buzz is on the truck holding wood with his hand, and the dog has got what his feet, I think, and Buzz jumps onto the dog's head and grabs his eyelids and pulls them straight up like two stretchy socks, and I lost it. I was not expect that. I felt so viscerally disgusting. I got to hear the sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got good laughs out of I felt they played with perspective really well, like the I like, because yeah, you're in close when there's the chase going on and they're trying to get back on the van, and you're really close, and it's like you're watching Fury Road, you know, it's like you watch his car, you know, his car chase, and sometimes it feels like a heist movie. And and then you pull back and you just see this tiny toy in the middle of the road. It's so and they do it in really smart moments.
Speaker 4: I think. I think it comes home really well.
Speaker 1: I think considering you know what's going to happen, like if you're honest with yourself, there's no surprises in the end, you know, buzz and what are you going to get back to Andy?
Speaker 2: I guess that's what makes them drawing it out so much fun. Yeah, you know what's going to happen, but like you just don't expect it's going to happen. When the car drives past and the match gets blown out and I was like, because I was like, they're gonna light the match, They're gonna like the rocket, They're gonna like I can't wait to that and thing. I think I might have remembered a bit of that from the trailer and then plight out. I was like, what are they gonna do?
Speaker 1: And it's kind of the art and what makes such a work of genius. I think that that we completely know that this is the this is the kid's film. Of course, of course they're gonna make it, but as as you're watching, you're gonna go, oh, they man, I make it they can make it. Yeah, there is craft and skill behind them making us feel that way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I really, I mean I think I have heard it called the perfect film or I mightn't even knowother toy story, but like it's such a good example of a tight, classic story, well told with great pace. Yeah, maybe a few too many mister potato head bits falling off gags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one too many.
Speaker 2: I was like, I swear to God to knocked off again. But then but then made up for by like really like every now, and then I was like, don't do another one. And then like, it's a missus. It's a missus potato Head and this says jeez, a bit of shade going to put off his mowe. And then I was like, okay, that's what. That's a good one. But yeah, there's a lot of.
Speaker 4: It, and you will meet Missus potato Head in the.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yes, well done, ncentering you stuff. I saw you're getting all right, You're about to lean into you leaned forward towards the microphone. Potato.
Speaker 1: I've got some fun facts, Josh, I love, I love a fun fact. Billy Crystal was also offered the role of Buzz Like you said no said no and then said it was his biggest regret of his career. And once the movie came out, and John Lastadter called him at his house a couple of years later, and his wife answered and said John Lasts on the phone. He took the phone and just said yes, and he was calling to offer him the role as Mike Wazowski in I'm sure it was the second film that came out of Pixar. You may have clocked the name Combat, Karl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, years ago? Who is that?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't actually I'm not who it was, but I can tell you it's combat. It's basically G I Joe. But they did not give a mission for G I Joe to be used.
Speaker 2: Was he the guy that lifted up the back of it? He was the musty? Was he must one?
Speaker 1: He was one of gets playing basically Oh really yeah? Yeah yeah Carl, Yeah, And I'll tell you the sergeant was who.
Speaker 2: Who all the ali emery?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yes, the little Jacket always like basically always plays that role.
Speaker 2: The only the only man who's ever played that role.
Speaker 1: He's he's so good. I mentioned I thought it was really lovely.
Speaker 2: He did it in a very it was weird it was lovely and soft. It was still that guy, but it was it was like it wasn't Yeah, you're right, all the built up frustration and hatred. Yeah, he didn't get another movie.
Speaker 1: He didn't go full full middle jacket. It's percent off John Ratzenberger, who I'm not sure. I haven't watched the many recent Pixar films, and I should because they're all you're always learned something and feel something in a Pixel film. But John Ratzenberger Kick Claven from Cheers playing Ham and basically appears I think, up to a point in every Pixar he's almost a good luck has he Yeah, yeah, he's good. While a Sean played Rex while Sewan you might know, I think from The Princess Bride. Oh, the.
Speaker 2: Probably my favorite. I don't know if it's yeah, I don't know if he's got like out there in the world, if he's regarded as a jarge Banks. But I was like a real soft site for the dinosaur.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, the dinosaurs are I think, well, what's the coolest.
Speaker 2: One to like? Because when I go into the real world, Peter, I want to say, like I like, and they don't. Everyone to go, oh that's a jab Banks character, you idiot.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good question. I mean, I think if you sat with the army, guys, I think it's a pretty good round. It's think it's good. Jim Varney plays Slink I love Jim, Yes, and Don Rickles plays mister potato Head. So it's probably why.
Speaker 4: Be suggesting new new game. I got another line, guys, I got another line, and I got another lining.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just get it and then you can go yeah, just wait, mate, we're rolling.
Speaker 1: Rickles got another one that's going to cost us another one hundred and fifty grand.
Speaker 2: There was one, so I was having this sort of extential crisis about toys gaining consciousness during it. But there's also the one that during that that final chase scene with the rocket, and I think it was just before they let the rocket that he was driving with the remote control car and he was driving the controller. But when he let the rocket, he just dropped it and then they took off. Yes, And I'm like, is that the car. You can't that's part of the car that might be his liver or something. You know, you can't just leave part of the toy back. He's going to get driven over. I don't know what there is. Yeah, you can't even control himself. Like it's a car that has to be driven by that controller. So if you drive over it, that car is just going to be lost.
Speaker 4: You've killed You've killed one of your own.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what you're doing well.
Speaker 1: And it's also you could argue that, you know, the soldier the combat car that gets blown up, like there's very little you know, remorse, you know for him, you know, yeah, I did like the mutant toys. I think that's it's a nice Yeah, it's a nice kind of toys.
Speaker 4: Can be rebirth when.
Speaker 2: You put that, is it Janey's hidden a vice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not nice?
Speaker 2: A vice and just turn it around.
Speaker 1: I was like in his bedroom, I mean, come on, his parents.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not sure what's going on with his parents, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's that really strange, Like you see sort of a wide shot of Sid's mum. I think you hear a few times. And then there's one but where where Buzz sees the ad. You go into this room and suddenly it's very dark. There's a there's I think a male passed out in a chair. There's like strewn cans around as if that if it's like maybe some is this some horrific alcoholic Is this a home that is very dark to be part of us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't need any sid spin offs to be honest, it's a very dark It's a very dark place.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: Since well, speaking of parents, and his dad does not appear. He does not never mentioned in any of the toy story films.
Speaker 2: Is it right?
Speaker 4: And basically what it was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't necessarily a conscious decision to make you know him fatherless.
Speaker 4: It just it was.
Speaker 1: It was they wanted to kind of cut down the amount of human characters because they were aware, as you actually pointed out, it's cheaper, it's cheaper. But also they were aware they weren't as they were tougher to draw and tougher to have in. So yeah, that's why you know a lot of human characters. I think it works for the like seeing the story told mainly from the angle of the toys is really fun, but it is they were hard of the draw, so they just went, Okay, let's we don't need him for the story. So he can either he can either be no longer on the scene or maybe he's away on work or.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also kind of think, you know, subconsciously, it adds an emotional level that you know, is doesn't have a father on the scene, and these toys come arone a little more to him. Maybe there's you know, you know, fatherly figured type thing. Maybe I don't know if Ham or Rex, you know, the perfect father figure. But yeah, I think I think it works nice nicely. The they went they had troubling toy story toys. This is hard to believe because a lot of Pixel Pixel's wealth has actually been built up by toys, particularly actually the cars franchise. I think they made more in in in retail than they have in cinemas. That's what I keep on making those films, which it's just okay to be honest, but has Broke and Mattel both said no. They said no, we're not, we're not, we're not. Really, they had eleven months to get the job done, and we can't get that done a job done in time. And so a little, a little Canadian company called think Way Toys took the job on, but they did refuse. Pixel wanted them to make also the the Mutant toys, and they just went, nah, we're good, be.
Speaker 2: Easy to make you just make just the off cuts.
Speaker 1: Those together, I tell you, nearly steals the show is the alien and the Alien. I was gonna say, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: When the claw the claw claw, I love that, man, I love it. And then even like all the little details is like the door finding the way out. Yeah, no, he's been selected.
Speaker 4: They've been selected.
Speaker 1: That needs to be like the groot of the movie. Also, Barbie said no, he's a Mattel the Barbie whoever does Barbie said no to letting them in the first movie, But then they saw it and they loved it, and they Barbie and Ken both appear in future Toys stories.
Speaker 2: Who did the Star Wars figures? George like is famously yes, packing all his money from the figurines.
Speaker 1: Good question, and because those are the toys I play with the most. Like I had a green suitcase full of Star Wars. It was just and I will walk around everywhere. You must have been the same on a farm, Wow?
Speaker 2: No? I yeah. I had a neighbor who had a x wing, like a large one that figures in and I just became big best friends to get to his xwing basically, and it was the greatest. I would walk across paddocks in the rain and through the mud, and I'd get that sweet X wing and have a great time with that. You also had some great Masses of the Universe toys.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was the other thing I had. Yep, yeah, it was, I mean it was it was a smallt ward.
Speaker 2: I had weird nothing knockoffs. I think I had a range of g I Joes that were called like, I don't know, like BA Brian's or something was a terrible They were awful, awful. But I did have one original Bob Effet, which I weirdly went and buried in a paddock and I can't remember where I buried it, and I actually spent some time trying to dig it up because I found out recently it is the most sought after Star Wars figurine, and I think one sold on eBay for like one hundred and eighty thousand dollars, the one that most recently sold.
Speaker 4: But was it in the box?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean my ones covered and basically been eaten by sarlac.
Speaker 4: That's what it is. Actually, it's literally in the sarlac.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, But but just the thought of it, it's kind of I guess it's kind of like it's like Fargo, like how that tourist went looking for that buried suitcase, and that imagine they're going to find me digging holes around my desperately. If it all, if it all goes baily, if I get cast and they getting more help me digging holes.
Speaker 1: I love I love the other somebody like being finding it You've got a Bubba fet berry somewhere and being really passionate about you finding it and then realizing you hadn't actually kept it in the box. It's like, well, I thought it was in the box. This is six years of my life. I've just wasted, wasted. Yeah, Josh Thompson, Mate, you have a movie that's coming in Aussie and New Zealand cinemas called How to Please a Woman. Yes, yes, go on, tell me tell me a little bit about it.
Speaker 4: The trailer looks very funny.
Speaker 2: It's very it was very fun it was. It's a what is it? It's a it's got the amazing Sally Phillips from British Dungeon's Diary and she's got an amazing came on VP as a finish Prime minister and you know, acting.
Speaker 1: Royalty and also got a lot of that party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and the Smack the Pony, which is an incredible BBC sort of sketch series. It from a long time ago anyway, So she she plays a woman who who doesn't really know how to ask for what she wants. She's got unhappy marriage and then she feels very invisible. And then she sees a furniture moving firm and decides to help it, saves it from from a dunderzee by it. You know what, you know what, I'm not good at selling a movie that I'm in. But she realizes she can make a lot of money by getting these guys to offer sexual services also or clean your house or both. Yeah, and so yeah, it's a it's a big old, fun, raucous tale of sexual reawaking, reckoning. I guess it's it's got a real sort of sexual revolution vibe about it. Actually, they cast me as a candy and.
Speaker 1: Any sex scenes, I yeah, I just not into it.
Speaker 2: Spoiler the movie. I was really flocking through the pages looking for some sex scenes for me, but no, I you can see the tiny bit of in the trailer. I do some form of erotic dance and yeah, that was my first day on set, just turned up, Hi, Hello, Hello, here you going. And then I took off my clothes for half a day. And that was interesting because the crew didn't know if I was trying to do it humorously or if my attempt at being sexy was sadly funny. So like everyone, it was so awkward for everybody. And I don't know if you've gyrated for hours, but it was. It was so bizarre, like if you've.
Speaker 1: Like I was, really, I haven't gyrated for minutes or second.
Speaker 2: The powerless work that I was putting in was like I was, I don't know what was going on. Like the sockets of my hips were self lubricating at one point, and I remember I was really going for it. I locked up and I saw just the focus puller. This poor woman was just her eyes were so dead, so blazed over, almost you know, like a shark sized black eyes. When they said cut, they rolled back. It's like thank god, but it was, Yeah, it was. It was incredibly fun like you know, Eric Thompson, Cameron Daddo, Ryan Johnson, Alexander like an incredible Tasma Walton and yeah, she's she's got incredible scenes in it. She's incredible, Caroline Brazier, Haley Mcaleney Hailey is incredible. It's it's it's a good it's a you know, it's a great. It's a very honest look at you know, sexuality in your middle age and like how to get what you want. And it's really fun. You go get a group of friends together and get very drunk and go and see it and just yell abuse at everybody.
Speaker 1: A great cast Ozsie and key Week cast coming together, getting sexy, getting the laughs done, and it's just it's just great to be in cinemas.
Speaker 4: And Young Young Rocket fun to do.
Speaker 2: Young Rock was great. It was.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm doing selling TV.
Speaker 1: Series and I'm all telling Dwayne Johnson's job.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, and like incredibly one everyone's read one for and it was it was a great thing to be part of. It was just awkward because it was during the height of the pandemic. Both series I got casts and and I was like, how exciting, And then I had to leave my wife with a one and three year old for two months by yourself. Yeah, and because I had saited what's been one month in quarantine? Two weeks there two weeks back, and I lost my mind in quarantine, and so I spent a month in quarantine, lost my mind, and then was just on the on the Gold Coast and Bristman, feeling very guilty that I was able to sleep and maybe have a few cocktails at the beach. So my wife would be like, you know, you go. Anytime that I had a bad day on set, it was her day was much worse, So it was hard to complain. I'd be like, oh, you know, they brought me a flat white I wanted along black. She's just carvet and spew and feces, and this is an awful I really didn't have a chance to wind down.
Speaker 1: So whenever you're watching Young Rock and you see Josh in one of your scenes, just remember his wife was at home in New Zealand looking after and then both their kids, but they were one year old an interview and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I had problems too, So let's.
Speaker 4: Mate this This movie comes with homework.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you doing it, is you know with that said, it is the shortest film anyone's done on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Is that really?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I think I think this this is even shorter than the Castle, so you may maybe a new record here. So you have the shortest one roving man, it says the longest one with Gone with the Wind. So yeah, you watch you actually between between that and and Gone with the Wind, you can actual probably watch two other movies, but you can watch Toy Story two other movies and still not be finished Gone with the Wind. But mate, great to see you. We had so much fun. I was saying, courage people to you know, I mentioned it in the intro, but you did a hilarious episode of How to Say Married? One of my favorite days on set of Anything I've Done. You and Tom Budge on set the fuck we laughed that day, Josh?
Speaker 4: That was that was.
Speaker 2: We have it on on and ongoing gag where me and Tom aren't allowed to do anything without asking Pete first. So years from then we're still like any time to us get cast, were like, did you run there by Pete? It would be very weird and joke that keeps going.
Speaker 1: Follow follow Josh on Instagram and occasionally you will see a comment for me saying was this run by my people? Congratulations?
Speaker 4: But I'm just sweet that I.
Speaker 1: Didn't hear about this before you know fine, the idea being as soon as you come on to one of my shows and How to Say Married, I basically own your career and.
Speaker 2: I certainly felt like throwing your weight around that set o. Sorry, Josh, I do last around here.
Speaker 1: Well you really remember that, you really burned it into your memory, because that was scarily accurate.
Speaker 2: Lisa on the other costume in front of everybody, tried right now.
Speaker 1: She can't with me, You really really can't. But it was genuinely one of the most fun days I've had on any production having you on board, and it's been great catching up with you today, mate. So yeah, go see How to Please a Woman, watch a Young Rock and think all of those things we spoke of earlier and anything Josh gone from Seven Days the project in New Zealand. Get behind it and mate, we'll chat again soon. Just just run things by me a bit more next time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, mister Helly, I apologize. You're going to see study.
Speaker 1: You got, you got, you.
Speaker 2: Got briend whatever happens at.
Speaker 1: Least, Yes, that was Josh Thompson. Go see his film How to Please a Woman. It looks fantastic and really a lot of fun hanging out with him and reminiscing about Toy Story. I love that movie so much, and I know a lot of you do too. I want to thank obviously Derek Casway Studios, and everyone at iHeartRadio, including Alex who has helped me from time to time when I can't quite get into Castaway Studios. It's much appreciated, and also everyone listening. If you want to like and subscribe and rate the podcast on iTunes. Oh, it was just a five star rating. Yeah, but a lot a couple stars in your mouth. Is that how it works? I don't know, but it's much appreciated. It keeps the algorithm moving, and yes, we appreciate it. Next week on the show, A very funny man, a very good friend, Sam Torton. Have you seen Sam live, You'll know how funny he is. He's been on all the TV shows, including the Project and many many others. Usually we have a problem or he has done all of them basically, and he's going to be doing to change your pace from Toy Story, Kramer versus Kramer, doesn't Hoffman Meryl Streep go head to head in a custody battle for the ages. It's a classic. It it's very different than the toy story. And I can't wait to see and hear what Sam thinks about Kramer versus Kramer next week. And you ain't seen nothing yet until then. Keep safe by for now, And so we leave old Pete save Van Sult, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.