Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast. Before I tell you about the song that sums up my Easter break, I have to play this song which is a big part of my childhood and our best summer yours as well. Very very sad news about comedy legend passed away Tim brook Taylor of complications from You know what part of the greatness that was because you get up down? What a theme too, what a show huge all over the world. The Goodies the first thing I have a queued up for to get my copy of The Goodies vinyl album signed by the Great Trio, and later on managed to do quite a few things with them as well. We came close to getting they had. Remember the famous tandem bike Pats. Yeah, there were guests on a TV show we used to do and we were trying to find a four seater bike so that we could all ride it around under. We couldn't get it in time, which I was gutted about. But I used to love the Goodies. I don't know what a big hit it was down here as well, like a lot of classic Buddhist shows, but that kids show was just silly, smart kitten calm as well. I was watching some YouTube clips of theirs that are still up there now. Kitten Kong still funny now, still makes me laugh. A giant kitten running them mop in London, But yeah, rip Timbrook Taylor. So the song that sums up my Easter break though, is about what happened over the weekend. What was I think in last week? Because the kids were I think everyone, if we're honest, over the last few weeks of this, we've been going through ups and downs and sometimes you really just it's just overwhelming. And for teenagers somebody going through teenage stuff as well, and then you've got this going on and not the hardest thing for them is dismissing their friends and feeling that they have it. They can't just get out and just get out of the house. And you need a teenage that energy they need to get out. The four walls contain the energy that that FuG they've got going on so much that we had when we're growing up as well. So I said to them last week, I was trying to think of other ways and anything else we could do just to try and you know, get a shift of attention. And I said, tell you what, if you want to redecorate your bedrooms. Now you're old enough to have it done however you want. We've almost been living in a house a year. I said, you can do it however you want. Fast forward to the weekend, two days painting all weekend. Three coats needed to turn a bedroom from a lovely cream magnolia into burnt orange.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, interesting choice, interesting.
Speaker 1: I would say this. It looks great now. All four walls. So first of always said do three and the back or.
Speaker 2: A feature walls? Sometimes the design shows like the block of feature.
Speaker 1: Guys think like a teenager. Teenage thinking is about it's all in or nothing. There is no medium, there's no three wall, one wall. Okay, that's a compromise. Teenagers do not compromise. They earned that later on her life. Life is nothing. But then less compromise for us adults, isn't it not. As a teenager, you're idealistic. You want to burnt orange bedrum, you get a bone orange bedroom. I tell you what. It looks great, more like a terry cotter. I would say, a terry cotta kind of color. Yeah, it's very kind of Spanish colonial look to It looks nice, but it needed three coasts obviously she's never painted perform in her life. And at first I've got all the materials, the masking tape, the dust sheets, and I said, look, I'll do it with you. She went, no, boyfriend's going to do.
Speaker 3: It with me.
Speaker 1: O punching her heart. There's still a little fist dent there now from where she put that fist right in the heart. And then all of a sudden, boyfriend obviously realized it's hard work painting, right.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it's like to do a whole room like that is you're looking at a couple of days at least, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there'd be another. I gotta do some more touching up today. Yesterday. I got to be honest, my attention to detail was getting it a little bit away from me. So anyway, boyfriend didn't fancy doing it, so I was brought in from the sidelines as a very enthusiastic I was lording it up for an hour. She went, just don't speak to me about why you're in here. You're indivdual doing it because there's nobody else to help me do it, and Mums doesn't want to do it. Please don't talk to me.
Speaker 2: Just paint hours of awkward silence.
Speaker 1: I was silence, okap, and then she realizes, you know, I started suddenly. I had a really emotional moment. Actually one point, when we open up the first tin of this orange paint, I did what my dad did. I went and got the old stirring stick and as I'm doing I said, you need a stick because the paint's been sitting for our house. You have to stir it. You know, anytime you open this back up, if I'm not around, you need to do use paint. Ever again, you need to have a stick, and it's and you stir up the paint. As I'm thinking, God, this is literally me walking in a footprint that was already laid down by my dad him, teach you about this. And as I'm showing you how to do the maskin on the skirting boards and all that kind of thinking, this is I'm teaching her my dad taught me. It was a lovely little hand me down, maybe miss my dad. But anyway, so Saturday we actually had quite a good laugh. It took about six or seven hours. The first two hours chat you would have had this. It's the boring bit is the prep work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and prep work, people said, to us, is ninety percent of how can you paint? Jobs going to come out if you mask it or properly and you clean the walls properly. I tried and do shortcuts. So tell me how like you're cutting in and that sort of stuff. How good a job did you do with that? Because you can get lazy with that stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, because it was orange and I don't want to get anything on the skirty balls because it will look terrible because it's such a bright, vivid color, right, and so obviously she had never painted before and she was learning it, and I was talking about the brushstrokes and how you have to be really really delicate when you're cutting in. It's horrible, but you have to cut in there. And she was going, I'll do that. I've got more nimble hands, and I was thinking, please do because I don't want to be screened at by my wife, by my forty something shaky hands than I. I was like, yeah, yeah, you should definitely do that. So we did all that and then I said it's going to need a third coat. Sunday morning. She was like, oh, look, can you do that? I said, well, I thought, this is what we're doing together. She did it for half an hour me yesterday and then bugging off. I was left there three hours alone, right feeling sick from all the fumes, trying to breathe out of a window, and honestly, it was like looking out of a window like I was in a cell. Because yesterday was a really nice sunny morning.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: But I was up a ladder by myself doing the third coat. But it is a nightmare doing it, and some of that cussing in that I was doing yesterday was angry painting. I am nervous about what it's going to look like today in the cold light day. So I've done Ruby's bedroom. Okay, that's the burnt orange. This weekend, we've got to get into this next about what you did, your ideas of a teenage makeo for your bedroom. This weekend we do Loises. She wants it jet black black, all four walls jet black, jet black. When she told me, she said, Mum's going to like it, and I went, it's not just mum's decision, and she went jet black and my balls went up to my throat. I'm going have to take this.
Speaker 2: To the ball like a photography dark room.
Speaker 1: It's for body black. So that's what it is this weekend. All right, So give us a call. What did you do to your teenage bedroom? What was your black the Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast, So cast your mind back. Did you do what you considered at the time to be an amazing bedroom makeover when you were a teenager. So my thirteen year old wants to want to me, sorry, let's get that clear. Wants me to paint her bedroom black this weekend. I've got the paint. It's black. I tried to say, hey, what about Yeah, like a graphite gray could look pretty cool. She went black.
Speaker 2: The guys at the paint store shouldn't have sold you black.
Speaker 1: That's right, it's just for you. If you're no, we're going to do your favorite. No, No, it's you're right, it's reckless. No one's doing me a solid favor. Rather, let me get that. So yeah, this weekend.
Speaker 2: I mean, but you also to paint over a black bedroom wall.
Speaker 1: My wife, I said, we have to resell this Chris with wipe money off the house.
Speaker 2: At least do like blackboard paint that she can ex drawings on, like chalkboard paint.
Speaker 1: You think she's in her mind. She's Bitie Eilish. Seriously, she's got a crystal ball in the room. She's doing pentagrains and stuff like that, chalk paint and why did you play with this spinning top? You've got some hot wheeled cars, all right, So we're talking about teenage bedrooms. Let's go to Sarah's on the line. Good morning Sarah, the old producers and come on Sarah.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Christian, good morning.
Speaker 1: Hello mate. Hope you were he had a nice used to break. Tell us about your teenage bedroom.
Speaker 4: I desperately wanted to change my whole colors to black as well, and unfortunately my mum wasn't let me. It was probably thinking back to it now, it was probably because she didn't want to have to paint it or painted later on. But it was something that stayed with me for a long time. So when I found out I was pregnant and decided I wanted to decorate the nursery, there was no even thinking about what color I was going to do. It was just going to be black. There was no choice.
Speaker 1: This is amazing.
Speaker 4: I went to you know and got the paint, and as a heavily pregnant woman got there and painted nursery black.
Speaker 1: That is amazing. You only ever see really pink or blue or kind of pastel neutral colors for the Yeah, the nursing never black. This is amazing at the Adams family.
Speaker 4: Very stylish, very stylish, beautiful white furniture and lots of gold accents.
Speaker 3: It was very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that looked good. Actually, all right, Sarah, thank you very much. You cool, Stay.
Speaker 3: Safe, Thanks Christian?
Speaker 1: What's going on? Producers? Come on, we're back, baby, can't be a lot like that, fee fee Fiona, good.
Speaker 3: Morning, Good morning, Christian.
Speaker 1: Tell me about your teenage bedroom.
Speaker 3: Right, my son wanted his walls to be painted purple, and because we're in a rental, obviously I couldn't do that. So what I did was I hung fabric. We went out and got purple fabric and I just covered the wall. Nice place. It was just lovely and I'm still there to this day.
Speaker 1: Is that right? How many years is that it still got the purple fabric on the wall.
Speaker 3: Well it's about five years now, but it's really lovely.
Speaker 1: I bet that. All right, Fiona? Thank you.
Speaker 3: It means as well, we can just take it down and we don't have all the extra work today.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that I just shay to my thirteen year old maybe just get some black fabric.
Speaker 3: Yes, I just put it off and then it can be taken down again when the notion of the black silver and there's no harm done to the wall.
Speaker 1: Fiona is okay? If I give you her number, could you set to because actually I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 3: If she scares me, I would tell her and I would even common jo for her.
Speaker 1: Okay, bless you if you, thank you. The Questian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast