Speaker 1: Hooked, hitched and hung up acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
Speaker 2: This episode was recorded on Wella Medical Land.
Speaker 3: Good shot, Selena.
Speaker 1: I didn't see you coming. I was just practicing, but.
Speaker 2: You didn't see me coming across the empty basketball court in the middle of an empty stadium.
Speaker 1: Was just in the zone.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, this is a setup, romantic ride, unusual.
Speaker 1: Thank you allow me.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You're looking very handsome, by the way, are you?
Speaker 3: Are you texting?
Speaker 1: No tweeting?
Speaker 3: What are you tweeting?
Speaker 1: Romance isn't dead. Treat your lady right, fellas?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's actually pretty sweet.
Speaker 1: Hashtag real all caps all right? Want to watch Titanic.
Speaker 2: In twenty eleven, pop star Justin Bieber rented out the entire Staples Center stadium in La so that he and then girlfriend, actress and singer Selena Gomez could have a private dinner and watch a movie.
Speaker 1: I talk about a bit of a flex.
Speaker 2: Especially when you look at the pictures of them, because they look like they're about fourteen years old. They're children, They're very, very cute, but it's very weird to look at their little faces and know that they can rent out because they have enough money to rent out and entire freaking stadium just for a date.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a bit jealous, if anything. I think we can pay it out as much as we want, but I would love to be able to rent out an entire stadium to watch the Titanicum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what, I don't think it all ended very well.
Speaker 1: Well sounds like a podcast episode in the making, doesn't it funny you should say that.
Speaker 2: So I'm Britt and I'm Laura and is hooked, hitched, and hung up? The show about the juiciest celebrity relationships you can't get enough of, and the ones well maybe you didn't.
Speaker 1: Know about, but this is one that nobody could have missed.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, just a quick heads up that this episode contains some adult themes and occasional spicy language, so it's not recommended for little ears. This relationship between Justin and Selena is so big that it actually feels kind of stupid when you think about it. At the start of the twenty tens, you couldn't find a more famous person than Selena Gomez except for Justin Bieber. And they were both child stars just beginning their transition into.
Speaker 1: Adulthood, which always goes.
Speaker 2: Well, right, yeah, I mean when you see the transition from child stars to adults, it always just works out seamlessly.
Speaker 3: You're welcome, please, Drew very much.
Speaker 1: It's nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: It's met into idulating.
Speaker 1: Oh my to meet you. And here and here he is Macaulay Culkin.
Speaker 2: Did you want to.
Speaker 3: Go into the business or did your mom and dad think it would be a good thing for you. How'd it happen?
Speaker 2: Well, just kind of popped up disaster. I always find it interesting when you think about these teen stars or child stars, is what they were at the time, but looking back even before they had their big break at like where they were in their families and like what their upbringing was like. And for Selena, she was born in Texas. She was from what she describes as an incredibly poor family. There's a story about how her and her mum would have to go through the glove box to find dollar coins to be able to buy dinner.
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, you hear that story and then.
Speaker 2: You fully just go, like, God, what a hard life that would have been. But also simultaneously, she was doing pageants, and she was doing acting, and she was doing singing. So you kind of think, if you're so poor, how do you have the money to be a chance star.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's where all the money went. Maybe she was just like I know, there was some potential there. Maybe she was a Mama Jush. She was.
Speaker 2: Probably she was a Mama Josh was the Mamaja.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was the original. She was before Christiana. She was the og Mummager.
Speaker 3: So her name was Amanda.
Speaker 2: That is Selena's mum, and Selena's mum had Selena when she was only sixteen years old, so they were incredibly close because they were also very very close in age, and she took her around and she had her big break when she kind of like made it onto the screens and started to make a name for herself. That was in two thousand and two on Barney and Friends.
Speaker 1: I remember that. That's how I remember her. Actually, this is why it's weird for me to look at now when she's so sexy, because I remember this really innocent, like Disney girl, and I'm like, I can't correlate the two.
Speaker 2: She really did thirteen episodes of Barney and Friends before she was deemed that she had aged out of the show. That with the trash, I think she was what was she seven at the time?
Speaker 1: Cras over, You're seven, You're done? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, like, imagine being a child star and being seven years old. You get your first gig, and then you told that you're too old for the show after thirteen episodes.
Speaker 1: Some of us are still grinding at thirty three.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 3: One day we'll make a baby.
Speaker 2: But the thing with this is like, even though it was only such a short stint, it was enough to get her into a more consistent line of work at the age of seven.
Speaker 3: So she then went on.
Speaker 1: One consistency and you work load at seven.
Speaker 2: Don't you. I think the thing that she became known for is the fact that she was like a little Disney star.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we know what Selene is doing as a very very young, small, innocent, hard working truck in her poncho and approach at seven. What is Justin doing right now? Where is he because he must be all of what Like I guess he's five.
Speaker 2: So, which is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So he's peak career, he's getting ready for retirement.
Speaker 2: No, he's literally just about to launch. So I think a lot of people know, they know that he was like the YouTube sensation. But what I don't think a lot of people know is that Justin's mum and dad and that's Jeremy Bieber and his mum, Patty. Jeremy walked out when Patty was pregnant, so Justin's dad kind of wasn't in the picture that those.
Speaker 3: First early years.
Speaker 2: He regrets that Patty wrote a book and it is extremely harrowing.
Speaker 3: She was hideously sexually abused by.
Speaker 2: Her family and she tried to commit suicide and then it was like after that period of her life that she found God. And that's the reason why Justin was brought up in such a hugely evangelical Christian way. So he's been brought up in this family that's like a really broken family with a mum who has had a lot of issues throughout her life. And then she starts a YouTube channel for him, like he's incredibly gifted at drumming, at playing guitar, at singing.
Speaker 3: She starts a YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: Well, before the time of when celebrities were using YouTube, and she starts it as a way to share with her family and her friends the music that he's creating, because he's just like this.
Speaker 3: Little prodigy talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then that starts to snowball. So whereas Selena has taken a bit more of a traditional route into becoming famous, she's like done the child star hustle. Justin is before his times. There has never been a story like his, And now there's loads of them, loads of.
Speaker 3: People that are plucked out of YouTube all over the place.
Speaker 2: But he was literally the first person to be discovered as this YouTube sensation, and so as he was growing up, he had two hundred thousand followers on YouTube at the time, he was the most followed musician in Canada, the most followed musician on YouTube at that period in time.
Speaker 1: The guy that discovered him, correct me if I'm wrong. It's Scooter Braun.
Speaker 3: He was this Scooter Braun guy.
Speaker 1: He's a wanker?
Speaker 2: Is he a wenker? Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean I am very pro Taylor Swift. I mean he's doing bad right now. This is like breaking news. He is also now having a fight with kid LAROI our homegrown talent. They're having a falling out now too, So there's a common denominator here with all these young child stars on Scooter Braun, and it's Scooter Braun.
Speaker 2: So Scooter Braun the guy that we hate. So he discovers Justin Bieber. Apparently this is a story. Came home from a night out, he was drunk, sat down on YouTube as you do, and Justin Bieber was singing this Aretha Franklin song and then he got super deep in it. He then caught up Justin Bieber's mom pad and was like, you have to come to La, basically harassed her into bringing Justin Bieber to La, and that was where this all then started.
Speaker 1: I remember when he released his very first song and everyone was raving about this Justin Bieber. I couldn't believe the lyrics because he was such a baby face, little kid like, because he was singing about things that were not necessarily young, like he's singing about adult topics in this, and he looked younger for his age, Like even now, as a twenty eight year old, he still looks super young. He looks like he's twenty two, So imagine how young he looked at sixteen. So for me, it was like I'm not believing it. I couldn't get down and I couldn't like, I couldn't get jiggy with it because I was like, you look like a tiny little boy.
Speaker 2: He please never get jiggy like that again. I couldn't like jiggy with it. When that period of his life started, the chorus to his life became screaming girls. That's what he became known for because they just followed him and mobbed him everywhere he went.
Speaker 1: And I mean, of course that was going to end in disaster. How can you be that age and have this amount of fame, money, pressure, sex.
Speaker 2: It's like sexual advances everything you want.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine he could have had sex with anyone he wanted as like a sixteen year old, but he would have been scared. He wouldn't have been into that.
Speaker 2: Think about it, when the people who are supposed to support you when they make money off you, Like his mom was also partly his manager, Scooter Braun was the closest person to him. All of these people make money off his inevitable success. So he dropped out of school when he was in year eight, and as much as he was he still did his education, he still followed, but like all that is homeschooling on the road whilst you're becoming this superstar. And even recently he said, and he's come out on his Instagram and he was like, apart from being a singer and a dancer, I lack every other skill that there is to have in life because they didn't anything. And that's exactly right. But we didn't see this at this time. And I think that so much of the system fails these like huge child stars that transition into being like adult super megastars.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I was worth couple one hundred million, we'll give up a couple of years of school. Two beggars can't be choos, as Laura Ben.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's circle back to Selena for a little while, because while Justin Bieber is still a little bit obscure at this point in time, Selena is the one who is more famous.
Speaker 1: Well, up until now, we've known her as a singer, but then in the last year or two she's in a movie at the moment, but the last year or two she's gone back to acting.
Speaker 3: God triple threat.
Speaker 1: She can dance as well, and she's the most following person in the world, and she's hot, like she's a what's five, She's a Pentagon thing.
Speaker 2: So there's lots of speculation around whether or not their relationship was a bit of a publicity relationship at the start.
Speaker 1: No, don't believe it. It was young loves was it the young teenage infatuation.
Speaker 2: So the way that they met is that Scooter Braun called up Selena's um, Amanda and said Justin Bieber has a crush on your daughter.
Speaker 3: We should get them together.
Speaker 2: And that's legit. They've both come out and like confirmed that. So Selena came and she met Justin. But Justin, to remember, is like two years younger than her, and Selena is quite mature for her age at this point in time as well. And so there's quite a few media articles and media interviews where the press are asking her like, oh, what's going on between you and Justin?
Speaker 3: You and Justin?
Speaker 2: And she talks down on him. She's like, oh, he's a bit of a dog. He's just a little kid, you know. I see him as my little brother. And she says these things not in a malicious way, and she's like, I love him, but as a little brother, and so there's loads and loads of questions because obviously they're quite good friends, but there's nothing romantic at this point in time.
Speaker 1: I like to think that maybe they were just young love and they didn't want to be in the public eye, so they're like, we're just friends because they're only like fifteen and sixteen. Imagine what that would be like, Like, Ill, you don't want to be like kissing and holding hands in public when you're fifteen and have the whole world watching.
Speaker 3: I like that, You're like, you give them such the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 2: That's people like, but they're not, like they haven't grown up in the world that we've grown up in. Like she's being a star her whole life, like she's she knows this well.
Speaker 1: Back to front.
Speaker 2: I just think at this age, like at this time, she just wasn't into him. If you see photos of them together, he does look like a deeby little kid with his long hair and he's like baggy little pants. He's just like, there's no way that. In two thousand and nine, Selena was into Justin bieber Well, she's calling it.
Speaker 1: In twenty ten, they were spotted at ihop Now Ihop if you don't know, is a pancake place in America. I've been there. It's not very good. I don't know why the Americans have it. I don't know why to change. But they were seen there in twenty ten on David Leedhiman in twenty eleven. He you know, as you do, you try and pull his information out. You're trying to get the headline. She's like, actually, no, we have known him for a few years. It's just really nice to have a best friend and someone going through what you're going through. So she is constantly playing it down. But when was the first time that the world saw they were together? When was this confirmed?
Speaker 2: I guess this is where things are a little bit unclear, because now there are so many photos over the next year where they're seeing like can noodling with each other, or Justin's kissing Selena on the cheek, or they're holding hands. But they both well more so Selena Justin just kind of acts coy and media. But Selena continues to deny that they're actually in a relationship. She's like, no, we're just friends. It's so great to have someone who actually understands me. And I guess The interesting thing about this, well their relationship from the beginning, is that Justin doesn't have any friends or anyone who can relate to the world that he's in, whereas Selena's grown up in this world, she has all of these friends around her that have experienced a very similar lifestyle, and he's just been plopped into it. So I guess there is kind of that that makes you think or maybe they were just friends for a while.
Speaker 3: However, the reason why I.
Speaker 2: Think that they use this hugely to their advantage and why it did become a little bit of a leaning into publicity, and why I think they're maybe not as innocent as what you think they are, pretty is because every time there was like a big thing going to happen, like whether it was an album launch or a single was going to drop, or there was something that they were going to promote, you would get guarantee that a few days earlier there were photos that had been pat which obviously this cycle of like.
Speaker 3: Baiting the audience.
Speaker 2: Everyone want to know like are they together, aren't they together?
Speaker 3: Are they in love?
Speaker 2: Because it's just this aspirational pairing.
Speaker 1: That is literally standard Hollywood behavior, that's that is completely normal you go and like you have a pup, you do a publicity sign, You're like, oh, something's coming up. But it gets some headlines, better, get some attention, but get people guessing. And I think that that would have been out of their control too. I'm still defending them. That was out their control, that was their mummages and managers totally.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think that they're not that they're not innocent in this. They are innocent in this because they're a product of the whole wheel of what is you know, being this pr able machine. But at the same time, I do think that they were doing what was in their best interests.
Speaker 1: Like cell and this is what made this is the reason people went so crazy and were so obsessed with them because they were dying to know.
Speaker 2: So this period of them dating, this is the first phase of their relationship, and their relationship gets increasingly more chaotic, rocky, codependent, toxic, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: It was a hectic decade.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a yeah, they saw some years, that's for sure. That this period was like blissful, gorgeous young love. The way that they speak about each other in media, like they are so beautifully love. It's actually sickening, is what it is to hear like two sixteen year olds talk about or think they were like seventeen eighteen at the time, but like they're so in love, so in love. It's the dream, it's the tree still looking for it, which is why in twenty twelve, when they decide to call it off, it's almost an unbelievable thing.
Speaker 3: This is hooked, hitched, and hung up.
Speaker 2: And in this episode we are unpacking the teen love story that kept on giving literally over and over and over for a decade. Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez all right, now, I feel like it's time for us to get into the great split of twenty twelve, where Justin and Selena were no more for the first time.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: There were a few factors that actually led to this. For example, Justin had been accused of getting another chick pregnant at a concert.
Speaker 3: It was all confirmed that that wasn't.
Speaker 1: True also Hollywood standard totally.
Speaker 2: So the reason that was given as to why they had broken up was the fact that Selena was insecure by every single young girl in the entire world wanting to be with Justin, so that there was this feeling of insecurity that she had, but also that their growing work schedules and everything kept them apart, and so that was the reason why they couldn't be together.
Speaker 3: And that's when they called their relationship to an end.
Speaker 2: In twenty twelve the first time, the first time them things go progressively downhill. So this is when it all kind of starts to fall apart, and more so for.
Speaker 1: Justin, he almost had a mini breakdown.
Speaker 3: I think he had a big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But imagine doing all that in the public eye. I mean that the most watched person in the world.
Speaker 2: After Selena and Justin broke up, they then went on to write a bunch of songs about each other. Selena wrote a song which was Love Will Remember and it came out into thirteen. Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you remember this song, but this song actually.
Speaker 2: Starts with a voicemail message that Justin Bieber left for Selena, like a private voicemail message. It's it says like, you're a princess, You're worthy of all the love in the world, and you are the love of my life.
Speaker 1: You are sharing your heart and soul with someone that you love privately. And I mean Selena is or she is now one of the biggest people on Instagram. I don't know how big she was at that time. She's obviously very popular, but imagine that private moment being shown to the whole world. Please take your sea quick and gentlemen, thanks you.
Speaker 2: And the funniest part about this whole situation is that, like Justin's voicemail message is at the very beginning, but then the song itself, she's.
Speaker 3: Saying it's a lie.
Speaker 2: She's saying, you know you've done this and everything you said wasn't true.
Speaker 3: And then Justin brings out.
Speaker 2: Bad Day, which came out the same year, and it's basically like a song that says, you know, sorry, I took you for granted and didn't treat you right, but you didn't have to just go and leave me. And that happens if you don't treat someone right, they leave Justin spoiler fifty eleven.
Speaker 1: Selena also had a song called Forget Forever. This is where she says, our love was made to rule the world. You came and broke the perfect girl. Also, are you allowed to call yourself perfect?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you are when you're Selena Gomez and you have the most Instagram followers in the entire world.
Speaker 1: And she's perfect. Justin then put out a song called Heartbreaker in twenty thirteen. I just love that. This is tip for tat Well you put us song, I'll put another one out. I'll put another one out.
Speaker 2: Like are they releasing these songs? It's their way of expressing their feelings for each other.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have email, text, carry passion, voice, you could pull, you could do a smoke signal. There are plenty of ways you cou could commute.
Speaker 2: Well. I mean we all know that voicemail messages end up in songs. Anyway. When people of this level of prolificness are releasing songs about their relationships, it's also a way to engage their audience, right. It's also a way of like using your relationship to not just as creative ammunition, I guess, but also to kind of bait your audience.
Speaker 3: And drum up media attention.
Speaker 1: When like we go through something personly on Instagram, so he put a deep quote up that's like you will regret this one day or something like that, Like you want to bait your audience in to be like you're going through something.
Speaker 2: I feel like everybody knows that first loves hit you hard. But the period that followed the breakup between Selena and Justin in twenty twelve was definitely really, really rough for Justin, and he went from being this sweet, little innocent kid with his side fringe and speaking all niceties about Selena, his beautiful, wholesome girlfriend, to the period that Justin went through where he became quite a brat.
Speaker 1: No one really liked him for a while there, did they.
Speaker 2: I mean, he went from being this wholesome, like good boy to being the bad boy Justin. In twenty fourteen, his bodyguard had been accused of attacking a paparazzi and Justin had to appear in a deposition for this. In that video, he honestly seemed like he was just this bratty, little snotty teenager, but in actual fact, he was twenty at the time, and he's obviously still very torn up about Selena at this point, which is two years later.
Speaker 3: Are we recording, okay?
Speaker 2: Do you remember earlier today when I asked you, no, why don't you listen to what I have to say first and then maybe you'll come to an answer. I don't have to listen to anything you have to say, would you please look at the film?
Speaker 3: This is a film? Cause it would you please watch the television?
Speaker 1: You said this is a film?
Speaker 3: Is this a film?
Speaker 2: Is there a difference between a film and what I'm asking you to watch? Have you ever disciplined your bodyguard for his behavior with the paparazzi?
Speaker 3: Disciplined?
Speaker 1: What is he?
Speaker 2: My son? Have you ever spoken with Selena Gomez and expressed your feelings about paparazzi with her?
Speaker 3: Don't ask me about her again. Don't ask me about her again.
Speaker 1: Don't ask me about her again.
Speaker 2: Don't ask me about her again.
Speaker 3: All right, So I'm on instagramer management.
Speaker 2: One of his bodyguards had attacked a paparazzi and the way he behaved, in the way Justin reacted to this was what became so problematic. But when you think how much he's being harassed constantly, day in day out by paparazzi, there's probably a part of it where he felt like it was justified. But his like really shitty demeanor and behavior and this arrogance that he has is what feeds into people hating him even more. And that is where he's being asked by the lawyer you know, can you please watch this, watch this piece of footage. And instead of just watching the footage and being compliant and working with the law, he's just so angry and defiant and just won't even let the guy get a word in.
Speaker 1: I think he doesn't give a fuck anymore. Yes, yeah, he doesn't care. He like he's untouchable. He smokes pot. This photos of his smoking pot. He's trying to be a bit of a badass. I think he's trying to just I think he just is trying to live his life. To be honest, I don't think he really did it for anyone or any reason. I think he's like, I just want to be a kid, like I missed my whole life. Let me be.
Speaker 2: He's been so sheltered from the world, but he's also had unlimited access to drugs and alcohol, and he was just absolutely spiraling as well.
Speaker 1: He egged his neighbor's house and he had to pay eighty found dollars for it.
Speaker 2: In conversation wit, how much damage could you possibly cause from egging someone's house and.
Speaker 1: Up to my house, I will give you twelve eggs.
Speaker 2: He probably only ruined, Like when you think about where he must actually live like he probably only like ruined their letterbox or something, and that's the equivalent of eighty thousand dollars to that property.
Speaker 1: Well, but he then had to go complete anger management courses. Then he was arrested for drag racing and driving under the influence. Like he went this spiral wasn't just like I'm taking my shirt off and waving my lanky arms around and just smoking pot like he was egging people. He was anger management. He was being arrested. Remember his little mug shot.
Speaker 2: There's so much stuff. This is just such a dark period for him.
Speaker 1: And all that this did. Right, there were so many people that hated Justin Bieber for no reason that he was young and successful and making more money as a fourteen year old. Well then your whole family would make collectively in their entire life, So people hate success. But what happened now was he was just genuinely giving the public a reason to hate him. So everyone was like, finally we can hate him now. I hate him because he's an actual little shit. So Justin's ween everywhere spreading his urine. He lost his money writing everywhere. She's in good. He's arrested, he is in jail. Where Selena because I'm assuming she's like sipping tea in her house or something.
Speaker 2: Well, No, Selena is relatively obscure and quiet over twenty thirteen to fourteen when it comes to like big headlines, and I think it's because Justin Bieber.
Speaker 3: Took all of them.
Speaker 2: But she releases her banger album, which was called Stars Dance number one on the Billboard charts. I mean, it was essentially a breakup album. All of the hit songs that we already talk about, like Forget Forever, Love Will Remember, all of that was on this album, and then also the massive hit come and Get It.
Speaker 1: That was a banger.
Speaker 3: It was a banger.
Speaker 2: But I do think that so many people bought the album, so many people were invested in the music because it wasn't just about the music. It was about the breakup, So they were buying into the whole story, and that had such an impact on the fact that the album itself went to number one.
Speaker 1: I remember after this, I remember this is when this started this on again off again. Are they together? Aren't they together? What are they?
Speaker 3: Because they were.
Speaker 1: Sort of seen together a few times. I remember there was that moment that he was singing to her in the hotel room. Remember he was serenading her, and everyone was like, they're back on, but they'd say they weren't.
Speaker 3: So that was in around twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: But prior to that as well, there had still been quite a few moments where people thought that they because they were still in contact, they still had this like connection.
Speaker 3: Throughout these periods where.
Speaker 2: Like there would be tweets to each other or emojis on social media, there was like a lot of baiting that maybe they might be getting back together or maybe they're still in contact, and so it never kind of felt like it was finished, I guess. And then in twenty fifteen is when it all resurfaced.
Speaker 1: Well that's in twenty fifteens when he started dating Hailey Baldwin. He's now wife, but that was the first time he started dating her. So that was when it was put to bed and everyone's like, Okay, they're not together because he's with Hailey, And now let's all the whole world universally hate Hailey Beber.
Speaker 2: Yes, hate Hailey Baldwin. Let's all hate Hailey Baldwin. And then the only person that we think we hated more than Hailey Baldwin was Sophia Richi. After that, he then dated Sofia Richie. Do you remember this? This was like very shortly afterwards. He had a string of girlfriends in between Selena, but that is when things turned really really bad between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Well, they had it out on Instagram, didn't they.
Speaker 2: So what happened was is he started dating Sofia Richie and I don't know why, but people absolutely freaking hated her.
Speaker 3: They hated that relationship.
Speaker 1: They blame these girls for the breakdown. Everyone wanted Selena and Justin to be this love story from fifteen on, and anyone that would come into Justin's life they hate it automatically for no reason.
Speaker 2: Basically, anytime he would post a photo of him and Sophia Richie together, his fans would report the photo for bullying and so then the photos were getting taken down and Justin was getting so pissed off by this, like just the abuse that he was coppying for being in a relationship with Sophia, that he was threatening that he was going to deactivate his entire Instagram and social media account.
Speaker 3: He was like, you've done this, this is your fault.
Speaker 1: Fair though, if you're going to have constant online trolling and bullying and hate.
Speaker 2: I would delete it too. Yeah, but then Selena comes out. This is a quote that she put on one of his Instagram photo. If you can't handle the hate, then stop posting pictures of your girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Lol.
Speaker 2: It should be special between you two. Only don't be mad at your fans. They loved you and supported you before anyone else did. It's the loll for me, like so condescending. I cannot tell you how much I hate a loll at the end of a message.
Speaker 3: If the message is actually sarcastic, I love it. I know you do it all the time.
Speaker 2: But okay, but don't you think that also that like that message that she's written. It's such a dig considering how public their relationship was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's Justin's reply back. It's funny to see people that used me for attention and still try to point the finger this way. Sad all love Okay, and this is why childish.
Speaker 2: This is why I was saying that. I think that there was a bit of a pr machine going here where Justin was really into Selena. Selena kind of latched onto the fame a little bit that she became a megastar off the back of the relationship, whereas he was already absolutely on his way to being that anyway. Her reply to that message from him was funny how the ones that cheated multiple times are pointing the finger at the ones that were forgiving and supportive.
Speaker 3: No wonder fans are mad, sad, all love.
Speaker 1: I love that they're just like taking lines from the previous comment, and you've seen it back against each other. It's so childish, but I'm here for it, and the world would have been hooked on this. But then he deleted his Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, well, what do you do when you've been called a cheater publicly in front of everyone. You've just been totally added for being a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: This is pretty much the extent of the arguments that we saw as the public. We got these three comments back and forth. It's calling each other's cheaters, calling each other users. Then we got a delete of the Instagram. Justin's like fucking tapping out. It's really sad to see how toxic this relationship is. How it started so cute, so romantic, there's so much love. They grew up together, then they were best friends, and then they weren't lovers, and they were lovers, and now they're calling each other out and there's all this hate and so many accusations. It's sad to see it unravel. That's probably what put her in hospital two years later. Actually the stress Selena gets really really sick because she ends up needing a kidney transplant.
Speaker 2: I guess like her being sick and being in this time of need, it was almost like what re kind of kicked them back into gear to give it another chance.
Speaker 3: Moving into twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Cat Stephen says it best. The first cut is the deepest, and this is very evident of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess at this time, like twenty seventeen was at the same time where Justin Bieber's image was going through.
Speaker 3: A new overhaul.
Speaker 2: He's no longer like the ratty, sort of angsty twenty year old or nineteen.
Speaker 1: Year old he always have calmed down.
Speaker 3: There is all these photos of him going to church.
Speaker 2: There is all these photos and they're just of them riding bikes together. Everything just feels a lot more wholesome than what it did two years prior. He was also photographed kissing her at the hockey game in twenty seventeen. They were back on and everything kind of seemed great, like was heading in the right direction. Then dead January twenty eighteen, it's over again.
Speaker 1: They break up and please, for the love of God, if you really are religious, stop trying to make this relationship work.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, maybe that's why they kept trying to make it worth her and they thought that they had to stay with each other forever.
Speaker 1: But this was their final breakup, which I'm very happy to report. I'm sure you're all want.
Speaker 3: You to hear it.
Speaker 1: There's so much more to it, and he's married now and happy, and I think, as like all the believers wanted their relationship to work, but I think everyone else in the world was like, call it quits, like it's not working. You've tried a hundred times. But this is when we see him come full circle. He's out of his angsty stage, he's out of his angry stage. He goes back to church, he gets quite a lot of religious tattoos, he starts to dress better again, he starts to behave better, be a bit more polite, and I guess it's because he reconnected in a way with God. But it's also where he reconnected with Haley Baldwin.
Speaker 2: He starts dating Haley Walwhen in June, so breaks up with Selena in January. Hailey Women starts dating in June, gets engaged in July, and gets married in August.
Speaker 3: It's what a kick in the teeth.
Speaker 1: Well, you're on and off for ten years and then all of a sudden you meet someone and get engaged in six.
Speaker 2: Months and then starts posting things like it was always you, you were always the person I was supposed to be with, Like what not even me when I'm down Justin and then Selena has been very vocal in media and talking about how you know it was his cheating and his emotional abuse in the relationships that created such issues, ongoing issues for them.
Speaker 1: So Justin found he's happy ever after, very very quickly, like after six months he got engaged and he's still married, very happy publicly with Hailey. They have a very beautiful relationship. But Selena, the poor thing, she hasn't been quite as lucky, but she's had some very public relationships. She dated The Weekend and she went to people like Niall Horn, Chris Evans, Orlando Bloom, Nick Jonas, like every I guess every young, hot, very very successful man of the moment.
Speaker 3: I mean she has a type.
Speaker 1: She definitely has a type. But she, as far as I know, she's very private now. As far as I know, I don't think she's dating anyone currently. She's back acting, she's living her life. She's I think, the most following person on Instagram. She's doing something right. But I don't think she's found a happy ever after.
Speaker 2: I do think it's really sad, Like you know, but Justin Bieber got to move on. He's got this great relationship and kind of Selena just.
Speaker 3: Got kicked to the curve.
Speaker 2: She did an interview with NPR where she said that she felt like she was emotionally abused by Justin Bieber, and she said, as much as I definitely don't want to spend the rest of my life talking about this, I'm really proud that I can say I feel the strongest I've ever felt, and I've found a way to just walk through it with as much grace as possible. And then Justin Bieber went on to say in a subsequent interview, I started doing heavy drugs at nineteen, and I abused all of my relationships. I became resentful, disrespectful to women and angry. And he said that he's learned and it's taken him many years to work through these relationship habits, and I just think it's so sad.
Speaker 1: I guess it would be a pretty shitty feeling. You've been the punching bag for ten years and you're you've been there to lean on for someone going through I mean, he went through more in his teenage in like five to seven years, and most people go through in a lifetime or will have to or stresses that we won't even be able to imagine or fathom because we're never going to be in that position. But Selena had to. She had to be on the other end of that. She had to be on the receiving end for ten years. And I feel like she created the well, she helped, She helped to create this perfect ideal man. And then she hands him off and then Haley comes in just three months dating and she gets Oh, she reaps all the benefits of ten years of Selena's work. I would be pre fucking rope for I.
Speaker 2: She's the ultimate husband maker. Selena Gomez is husband maker of the.
Speaker 3: Century, the ultimate one.
Speaker 1: Before the one.
Speaker 2: She's the one before the one, and yeah, it's I think that that's the saddest part of this whole story.
Speaker 1: I guess the good thing now is they do genuinely seem to be in a better place. And it was ten years of on again, off again tumultuous relationship, so it's really nice to see that now they've moved on and they were relatively happier.
Speaker 2: Let's just hope that Selena's next relationship isn't set up by her mummager or also by the partner's manager.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's always recipe for disaster.
Speaker 2: Hawked, Hitched, and hung Up is a podcast from iHeart Podcast Australia, dead Set Studios and the Kiss Network.
Speaker 1: Follow along in your favorite podcast app for more makeups and breakups, sex and romance.