Speaker 1: Very excited for our next guest. He's got a brand new TV show coming to Channel ten in a couple of days, and a brand new cookbook, the one and only Global Sensation Ladies. Jamie Oliver's in the studio.
Speaker 2: Hi, Jamie, I actually have a question surrounding the fact that I am surprised you got clothes on, because Jamie Oliver, I thought the Naked Chef meant you we naked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's been known once in the blue moon to happen, but no, it was about stripping down the food to its bare essentials. That's where the Naked Chef was born. That's probably the only reason we got ratings. And then everyone was very disappointed.
Speaker 4: But then no, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is so cool to have you in here. Jamie Oliver in the flesh.
Speaker 5: Is just I would say.
Speaker 6: The only recipe I know, like, my one thing that I pull out at every single dinner party is the fish tacos with Kiwi sauce.
Speaker 5: It's like sauteed Kiwi sauce.
Speaker 6: And that has gotten me through so many dinner affairs where people have thought that I can actually cook and I call it.
Speaker 4: They'll be going like Kiwi, what so good?
Speaker 3: For Kiwi. Is this in the UK? Possibly like in AUSSI it's really hard to get Tomatillo's. But actually it gives you that similar, really similar kind of like tangy fresh sharp.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 5: Isn't say tomato ga because I don't even know what that is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go, South American tomato, Jamie.
Speaker 5: What is your dish?
Speaker 2: If you're having a dinner party and you really want to impress, what's your go to?
Speaker 3: I think impress is always an interesting emotion because I think you can have the right dish with the wrong people and it's wrong, or you can have you know, the wrong dish with the right people and it could be right. I mean I personally always want to have as much time with my guests as possible. So something that you can, you know, summing macas.
Speaker 1: In mac and cheese like McDonald's in Australia MCD.
Speaker 3: I know, I'd just make a burger because it's like quicker and better and juicier, yeah, and cheaper. But it's really hard, Like my life is just like a jukebox of recipes.
Speaker 4: I never really know what to do until I get there.
Speaker 5: But also I find this amazing. You have five children.
Speaker 6: So you must have some skills in how you feed fussy kids. I've got two kids and one of them only lives on corn crackers. Sure I need anything else? How do you get fussy kids to eat food that could be more interested in corn?
Speaker 3: Just hunger, just good old fashioned hunger. I mean that to be truthful. Like, it's interesting, like our kids these days don't get hungry because they invented snacks. There is snacks don't exist. I mean, snacks were always a bit of fruit or nuts or something. But it's really interesting. I remember working in South Africa where they had this incredible orphanage and these three women came in and did these amazing school lunches and they just smashed a lot and they're just so grateful. And then I just spent years doing it in the UK. And because they're all on like crisps and sweets and like energy drinks like that, they don't want food, like they just want the stuff they want, So they're fussy. But no, I think, honestly, if you can, yeah, I just make sure that from breakfast to lunch they don't eat, and yeah, just cook something tasty.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, they have their kind of patterns. Even though my kids are pretty good, they love the obvious things. Pasta pizza.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I try, and with parents, you don't judge yourself on the day. You have to take the long game, the long game, and so when they're hungry, I always put out like some kind of version of a salad first.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you win. Sometimes we love.
Speaker 2: When it when a parent does that. I remember growing up and you'd be like, I'm so hungry. You mum would be like, there's plenty of fruit and the fruit ball. It's true, though, no, but then you say you don't want fruit, and she would say, you can't be hungry.
Speaker 3: It's not just about the dinner. Even if it's like a greater carrot salad dressed right, they'll have a nibble. It doesn't matter if they smash it or not, all of it or not. But the thing is, it's marketing. And like when I was working with the big schools, you have to put something in front of them fourteen times before they try it, and then it's got to taste good and then you might have another go. But so kids aren't born to eat nuggets and burgers. It's not genetic. It's called marketings.
Speaker 6: You've done some incredible work in the UK around getting food to disadvantage kids and it's something we don't have here, but it's it's for children who don't have access to it, being able to come to school and have free lunches. Why was working and being able to provide that so important to you.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's Look, it's important in Aussie too, but obviously it's not freezing cold and wet a lot of the year. So if you kind of get poverty and freezing cold and wet, and then you have disadvantaged communities and they're trying to learn, like you know, hungry kids can't learn. And so if you're really passionate about the idea of the most vulnerable in our community working and thriving and kind of getting out of that and having possibilities like the dream, then you got you know, you've got to feed the body and the mind. And yeah, like we have one hundred and ninety days of the year in the UK where we do breakfast and lunch, so it might as it might as well be good.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen on the pick up, Jamie Oliver's here with us. We got more of him back after this. He is sticking around here at the pickup standby. He's got a brand new cookbook out, Simply Jamie. It's out now. His newest TV show, Jamie Fast and Simple, is premiering the fifteenth of November on Channel ten. Jamie Oliver in the studio, Jamie, I got a question. I'm in a relationship. Tell me if this is a red flag one? Okay, not me being in a relationship. I don't know why everyone looks shocked when I said that, But no, I'm you know, I'm settled down and my boyfriend eats a hamburger with a knife and fork. But I'm talking if if he even touches the barn, or the or the paddy, instant hand wipe has to clean.
Speaker 4: Is that a red flag?
Speaker 1: What does that say about someone's psychology?
Speaker 3: This is not a euphemism, right, this is real. No, No, because it's your people that invented puppetry of the penis.
Speaker 5: Right, he's really eating a haburg.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to code out like what that means. Give it.
Speaker 1: By that logic he gets me off with a knife and fork.
Speaker 4: It is getting worse. Do you know what?
Speaker 3: You don't ever get Australia, never ever get off with a knife and fork.
Speaker 4: No use something a bit softer that's in room temperature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a cheap circumcision. This is out there like, this is great promo. We'll get to the book and the TV show in about thirteen minutes. Now, what is your advice? Is that crazy? Probably like a bit o c D. Has he got really organized sock draw Yeah? Very yeah, Okay, so he's just like slightly neurodiverse. I've got one of those in the family. They like to have separation and cleanliness. They don't like the idea of bacteria.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean, I think this is just the start of a lot of things that's going to happen in your relationship. Before you know it, when you come in the front door, there'll be one of those sheep dipping baths and you'll go through. So this is just the beginning of a long, fruitful relationship. It's gonna be good, but you'll be very hygienic.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's good to know I'll be clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I've got a question now, Jamie.
Speaker 4: Is it better than that last one?
Speaker 2: It's sort of about my personal life, but not about the sexy side. You've been married to Jules, your beautiful wife for twenty four years, You've got five kids. I feel like in this Hollywood world that is deemed as an anomaly, like not many people hit those marks and those milestones. I'm getting married in six months. What advice do you have for a long, wholesome, beautiful marriage.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so easy to say. I mean, I think, uh, I'll take it. It's really hard because you don't want to be you don't want to sound patronizing. Yeah, because because I think half of marriages don't work out right, So I think, don't go to bed with a chip point, you know, don't hold grudges. Yeah, you know, try and sort things out before you go to bed. I think I think a really obvious one is hang around. Yeah, and you're really a team. And me and Jewels often say like we're at our best when we're really like in like something's gone wrong, but you know, I don't know, it's it's going to be up and down. And that's normal. I think some people think when it's not going well that that's really weird and bad.
Speaker 4: But that's pretty normal. Now.
Speaker 1: Jamie told to us about the new book of the new TV show. Because we have we have a copy of the book. Simply Jamie is out now the new TV show Jamie Fast and Simple.
Speaker 5: Which beautiful looking book.
Speaker 1: Beautiful looking book, fast and Simple. Again, I think your mind is in the gutter with that title as well. That can be food, but it also does sound like something else fast and similar.
Speaker 5: There's a consistent pattern here.
Speaker 6: No, there's a fourteen minute pastor in there, and I'm like, I can't even make toast in fourteen minutes, So this is impressive to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, look, basically, my job, really if you want to be a good author, is to really listen to the public, listen to the things they're scared of excited about and the problems they have. And the audience now is very different to twenty five years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 3: So twenty five years ago forty six minutes average time on dinner like now, Oh before COVID it was twenty one.
Speaker 4: I think it's more like nineteen now.
Speaker 3: The uberization of food has never been kind of easier to get the takeaway so and people are working really hard. So what I have done is I've looked at actual basket data of what people buy.
Speaker 4: I want you to cook stuff.
Speaker 3: From this book that you already have in your fridge. So if you look in there like that, you've got ten pastas in there, but they're all no cook pasta sauces, So one pot to wash up, you can make the sauce like literally in the time that it takes to cook the pasta. There's like ten ways with salmon, because I know you buy salmon, right, but you're bored of it as well, So let's make it not boring, you know. Let's you've got ten ways with like a chicken breast, but they're cool and contemporary, quick ways to cook it.
Speaker 5: But also so good.
Speaker 6: If you've got que the last thing you want to do is like having to do the big clean up, the big prep and everything else afterwards as well, and no one has time for it anymore.
Speaker 5: They just don't.
Speaker 3: So when I'm writing, before i even start getting creative, I'm thinking about cost, I'm thinking about washing up. I don't thinking about how many ingredients, and can you get the ingredients from a regular supermarket? Yeah, and then veggie vegan, fish and meat and having a nice spread of that and healthy and indulgent. So at that point I haven't written a recipe, so yeah. I think my job is to give you a book that's like super user friendly and you can trust it.
Speaker 1: We've all got a bit of Jamie Olver in our kitchen. You can extend it now simply Jamie out now and then Jamie Fast and Simple. The fifteenth of November seven point thirty on ten and ten play Jamie Oliver. It was a pleasure, buddy. Thanks for coming on the pick up having me.
Speaker 5: You're an absolute alike. Thank you, thank you.