Speaker 1: Oh we going. Didn't didn't, didn't, didn't do tennis is my favorite? What about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sometimes it's my favorite when it's doing fun things. It's like a Wimbledon You.
Speaker 1: Please. It cannot freestyle to save her life.
Speaker 2: She is not a freestyler, more of a white.
Speaker 1: Oh actually not ah me. Here we are Wimbledon edition of the Pod. Oh well, I could start with a tennis adjacent story if you would like.
Speaker 2: It's tennis adjacent. Tennis adjacent, fairly tennis related.
Speaker 1: Another etiquette thing I always find myself in very Larry David esque situations. You have to curb your enthusiasm. Music playing over this. The checking out of.
Speaker 2: Hotels more hotel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we live our life. Yeah, we do hotels and traveling. It's either airplanes or hotels of them. Why don't we just leave the card in the room and leave the hotel?
Speaker 2: I often do that?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that rude? Is the etiquette bad?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's bad.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I think they just don't know you've checked out.
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 2: But it doesn't matter. I think the cleaner just knocks anywhere. Yeah, yeah, I think it's fine.
Speaker 1: And they often barge in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do.
Speaker 1: I love the bar.
Speaker 2: It's like a two knock to knock, knock, knock knock.
Speaker 1: I'm in, Yeah, and they're seeing some things they should not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be interesting.
Speaker 1: So I still feel like, I guess it's rude to leave the card in the room and just go, because maybe you should, you know, let them know. But if you haven't, you know, used anything mini bar or whatever, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just good, just go.
Speaker 1: But I was like, oh, whatever, I'll turn my key in. I get on the elevator, top floor, you know penthouse.
Speaker 2: Whoa wow, top floor? Well what hotel chain?
Speaker 1: Well there's only four floors in the hotel, so I present it's still tough. Still top floor. And so traveling down to the lobby, a man and his big dumb family get on on a floor like floor two, and I'm like, oh, they have all their bags with him, and I'm okay, clearly they're checking out as well. So when we get off the elevator, he should then let me go in front of him, as there's only one receptionist, so I can check out first, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be nice. It's like when you're at the grocery store and someone behind you only has like a cotton of milk or something, and you're like, hey, go before me. I've got all this stuff.
Speaker 1: And also being on the elevator first but then shunted to the back means I should be able to then check.
Speaker 2: Out technically first, right, Yeah, top floor.
Speaker 1: I'm top floor. I noticed he's not gonna let me get ahead of him to check out. So I start racing this man to the reception.
Speaker 2: Stride on, yeah, a jog, power.
Speaker 1: Walking, and he's got like all his bad and he's like blocking me. He's like boxing me out in basketball.
Speaker 2: Sending his kids out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he flanks his stupid kids out and then he gets the reception before me and then proceeds to take forever to check out. He's complaining about something in the room blah. So I just yelled out my room number and put my car. I just went four or five and put my car down. Is that is that wrong?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's wrong, but it's not right. I don't think it's wrong, but from you, I don't know. Not right in the head, not right.
Speaker 1: I could make a tennis adjacent.
Speaker 2: He needed to get to a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of his kids had his head on backwards.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just like his idol Michaels.
Speaker 1: Thank you top floor g Yeah. Well, we are in the middle of Wimbledon. It's honestly been one of the best slams uh in a long time. I've loved every second of it.
Speaker 2: Not as like manic as the French.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not as many crazy upsets in the first.
Speaker 2: Week, but still very exciting.
Speaker 1: Tons of drama.
Speaker 2: And tons of quality.
Speaker 1: Lots of quality. Yeah, and the weather's been good.
Speaker 2: And yeah, weather's been great. Apparently next week very hot next week. This week, okay, it's Monday. I told you I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say next week, who cares tornadoes could hit London and I'd be like cool. So we should get into everyone's favorite news segment when a Grand Slam is on. This is Grand Slam. A poetry that was.
Speaker 2: That's it. It's tennis unleash.
Speaker 1: It's a Wimbledon feast at the Faeries. Sweet red strawberry, jasmine, Paulini, turkey, panini, naomi osaka, eggplant, moose sokka. I love Fritz, chicken, schnitz, lobster rai. It's a real Wimby winner me from all that dinner. Also probably Yan Sinner people.
Speaker 2: He's Gracie.
Speaker 1: All right, that concludess our episode. So I have been keeping notes throughout the tournament. Last time we recorded play for the main draw had yet to begin, okay, and obviously some big things happened. Just I'm gonna just go through it. Before the tournament even started. After we recorded Draper with Drew with bone bruising bone, so we didn't get to even see the Fritz versus Draper first round match. We were promised.
Speaker 2: Bruising that sounds sounds awful, right, didn't he have like art tissue bruising before the bone Maybe it's like, I don't know, joint bone bruising. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Not a doctor.
Speaker 2: Not a doctor. I wish I was, though.
Speaker 1: Your parents do too.
Speaker 2: Imagine if I were, I would be doctor?
Speaker 1: Who you would be? Doctor? Wow?
Speaker 2: How cool would that be?
Speaker 1: It would be pretty cool but also kind of nerdy.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah, I'd have to be like a kid's doctor, isn't that's true?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we did not get to experience that. But then in the first round, the craziest thing that happened in the women's side was Maya Kolinska, the Polish player who was in the final of Roland Garris. She was six thirty five to you up against the tie player whose name I will not even attend. Yes, is it because I made eye contact when I said, wow, she was playing the tie player. We wa and she was up six three five two with match points and rolled her ankle and then that was it. She couldn't. She battled through but then lost in the third set. So yeah, unfortunately, that's how brutal it can be. And grass, I mean, how many slips do you see?
Speaker 2: So many slips, most slips in the clay. The clay's got a bit more, yeah, like traction to it.
Speaker 1: Well, because that just behind the baseline gets so chewed up that any drop shot it's like you're making the other and fall right. It's like I heard an argument that they should save center court for the final week, so no one plays on it till the final week because otherwise you look at it out it's just like a dirt track cricket pitch. So I mean, but this was fresh, This was the fresh grass at Colinska. Just yeah, tweaked her ankle and this was done. The first center match against Kekmanovich was a five setter, surprisingly, and this is where people started to go centers, not in the form he was, and he was winning all those Masters one thousands. It took him five sets to win it. He had a bad fall that looked crazy.
Speaker 2: Baby reindeer sort of stuff. Yeah, not to be confused with the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bambi, Yeah, had a nasty fall in that match, and then also a blood soaked foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, what's that? Must have been a huge cut, yeah, like how does how do you cut a foot within the shoot? It must have split or was it a toenail or something that came off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said it was a to okay, but still like rough with the all white of Wimbledon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just standing out.
Speaker 1: The Djokovic thing of note was that bad Bunny was in his Yes.
Speaker 2: And Coco also had a bad Bunny story because they both went to his concert. Yeah, because you were in the bad Bunny box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that had a bad Bunny concert. He's got a like a little house on stage that people like dancing, famous people, famous people dancing? Is that your dreaming?
Speaker 2: Well? Alcaraz was in it a few like I don't know where it was, but he was in it as well.
Speaker 1: Alcaraz I think is enjoying his time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let him a party always little gap months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's in a bad bunny his party house. On stage, he's with models in Abitha. Yeah, he's doing akara partying and beautiful ring to it with super models.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Rubyl have won in the first round against Sapphalen, who's gone on to have a great tournament. The big upset was Shelton going in the first round against one hundred and fortieth ranked Auto Vertin.
Speaker 2: That was a huge of set, I know.
Speaker 1: Especially because he looked like he was in good form on grass going in. But then, yes, Shelton going was a big blow to the US men's tennis, but we still have a lot of representation in the second week. The huge story obviously going in was Maya Joint and Serena.
Speaker 2: Williams, and I famously said, Serena Williams will do it.
Speaker 1: Well. I think everyone wanted that Serena Iola.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we wanted a little fairytale, a little storyline that continued, but it kind of just went Mmmm.
Speaker 1: Is Serena going through to a second round of a fairy tale? Hasn't her life been?
Speaker 2: Yeah? True? Be happy with what you've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. So Serena went out to my joint. Maya played amazing, so.
Speaker 2: Good, and she hasn't had a great year. It was like lost, lost loss. This is her first win.
Speaker 1: I think she had lost thirteen of her last matches going in and then just played solid. Was just moving Serena around and didn't let the occasion get to her. Didn't really seem nervous at all. She looked great. I thought she'd make a deeper run, but then came up against.
Speaker 2: Iola, but she looked good at the start.
Speaker 1: She did, and then I don't know, her form just dropped and all I just locked in. I think he Alla needs her flowers for being very intelligent out there and like figuring out what the opponent is doing well and what they're doing bad and exploiting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's good strategist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she's like, I mean, we'll get to her in a second. But uh yeah, Serena out in the first round and then eventually going out of the doubles, not even playing the doubles because she pulled out with a knee injury.
Speaker 2: Just play through, Well, don't you get some dry needling and get on with it, Get on with it. I mean, if this is I mean, maybe it's indicating that she's going to be more serious about this and she wants to keep playing. But if this was kind of like just a little foray back.
Speaker 1: Into she did you see the pictures she posted of like then the knee and the syringes filled with the fluid that apparently had been extracted from her which looked suspiciously like apple juice. And then obviously we'll get into more handshakes that have happened later in the tournament, my favorite being Felix Las and we'll get to that. We'll go chronologically. I know, well that match we'll get in the second round. I love Djokovic sits a.
Speaker 2: Pass, Yes pass, No dad?
Speaker 1: No dad? Well it's Dat's well, you make it sound like his dad has passed on, but he's.
Speaker 2: No dad.
Speaker 1: Lizzy, who's so callous. I'd hate to be at your high school like with you, because like if I had like lost, you'd be like, hey, there's Mike, no mom Goldstein, idiot.
Speaker 2: Let's stut the chat.
Speaker 1: No no, no, Djokovic sits a pass was vintage Novak Djokovic. This stat is crazy. Seven unforced errors in three sets from Novaks. Yeah, seven, that's wild, that's real. He locked in and I you just got to sit back and appreciate it, like you're watching the best to ever do it, right.
Speaker 2: That's so good.
Speaker 1: This is like watching Michael Jordan, you know, Tiger Woods, Michael Goldstein, the bad boy of comedy, Mike goldste his kids cheering them on in the box.
Speaker 2: Shit, you don't like it?
Speaker 1: What if that was my take?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought that's where you were going, like there should be no children in the players. No.
Speaker 1: Actually that's hilarious though, ayeah, because I could see them flanking Djokovic on the in the rush to the reception test to block me out. I've never this is the only time I've ever wanted children of my own.
Speaker 2: Oh you're going hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his kids like just come on and cheering them on when he gets a break or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is pretty cute.
Speaker 1: It's so I mean, it is, it's like it's the old it's really the we are classically childless people and uh, basically, and it's the only time I've been like, god, that would yeah. But also the only chance I have kids is also the same chance I have of playing center court in Wimbledon. Uh, the learner TN match. This was kind of a heartbreaker to watch because he.
Speaker 2: Was up, he was I wanted him to go far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was playing Martin Fuvich, who is known as the most shredded man in tennis. He's he's taking his shirt off and he's jacked. He's done celebrations before where he rips his shirt off, or he's done one where he lifts his shorts so his quads are showing, and then Medvedev classically beat him. Clap, Why am I saying classically so Medvedev?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, he's.
Speaker 1: FactCheck ripped Mevedev Beatuvic, that this some old tournament and then pulled his shorts up to show his weird little skinny legs and it was great. But winning this match is of note because Tien was sick. He was like clearly not feeling well at all. He was pounding bread.
Speaker 2: Well, we can't be nauseous to how would you take it? Did you see this? Yes? Yeah, he was eating a lot of food. And then the shot of him in hospital was him with like a smorgas born of McDonald.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I think is just a celebration once you've been training and playing so much tennis that once you're like, oh, well this swing is done, I'm going you know. I think it was more like I'm just gonna gorge.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think it's like a medical thing. It's like real caloristic food. So they have to get as much energy. It's called pallette of care.
Speaker 1: It's called the hangover. But what really struck me about the end of this match was Tan was clearly sick. You know, Likevich comes through but then celebrates by unveiling unveiling his bicep and then kissing it, which is such a fuck you to the other guy. It's not well, well, yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Take it gracefully. Yeah, God, this guy loves himself he does.
Speaker 1: The kissing of the bicap is such an insane move for tennis. Yeah, but I loved it.
Speaker 2: That's what your kids would do from the player's box whenever you did a good point, they'd just be like.
Speaker 1: That sounds dare, Yeah, I think. Yeah. I would also hire like a hot lady to kiss my bicep for me.
Speaker 2: Oh two hot ladies. Nice. Nice. I would hire hot guys to take off my jacket and stuff like I come on to just like put my arms out and they could like like a butler. Why not have shirtless butlers?
Speaker 1: Oh, look at this, we're really turning tennis into only fans on this podcast.
Speaker 2: May mean we should do tennis only fans pod. Oh that could be fun.
Speaker 1: Are we nude?
Speaker 2: We make tennis like we just talked about all the shirtless players.
Speaker 1: And ah, are we just subjective for yeah?
Speaker 4: We do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right. By this point a ton of Ozzie's were out. Joint went out to Alla Burrell, to Cristeia Cabali has been an Ausie killer. He took out Duckworth and Demon Demon and then of course Kazakina went out to Osaka. So we'll get into Osaka very soon. But the third round is really when the tournament started to heat up. I just quickly want to mention Sablenca versus Osta Panco. Yes, I love it goes so much. She marches around out there like a little mafia boss.
Speaker 3: Yeah she's got oh yeah, that ponytail couldn't be tighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I don't know how they get it so tired nipples do that. It's just like.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, her foreheads pulled back, yeah yeah, and it's like it's so tight, like it's all shiny, and she when she doesn't agree with the electronic line calls, it's like, okay, who cares you have to You don't have a choice. But she's still every time she doesn't agree with one, her face like could be memed forever. The eye roll. It's like if if I said something to her and she did that, irol to me, I'd probably like move to Antarctica and never speak to anyone again. It is a viscerating it is. She's got so much character, Like.
Speaker 2: I wanted to come in here in January.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'll get her. I love the again. Another Djokovic match, him and Arthur Render Connect. That was just awesome to watch that final match point. They're both on the ground at the end of it and like staring at each other through the net and laughing.
Speaker 2: That's a real nice pillow talk moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is. Yeah, you're staring at each other through the net. It was awesome. They hadn't played before, and I think Jokovic really respected render Connect's game and Serve obviously, and it was just an awesome match to watch. Sinner was still finding his form playing Brooksby, but got through that and straight. Now you're gonna have a lot of thoughts on this. Yala schavantek ow Yala, how good is she?
Speaker 2: She just has like I mean, Shontak was good as well, but y'alla looked like she just wanted it more. Yeah, yeah, I mean photo is iconic. She's just doing like a one handed push up with a little.
Speaker 1: Toes the Iola Schwantak. That first set was one of the most thrilling sets, eleven nine to in the tiebreak. You know how you can hear the coaches now like coaching their players from the player's box. Eaga's coach at one point said this to her, and it really resonated with me. She said, she isn't beating you. Your losing, right, which, like I feel like when I played ten is that's often what's happening, and also pretty much what just happened to grig Or Demitrov losing Arthur fair, But I don't think it's necessarily fair in this match. I think Iola of his skin, yeah and beat her, Yeah, I think yeah. After that first set tiebreak disappointment, Chavontek never recovered, and I mean Eola is obviously carrying the hopes of.
Speaker 2: A nation on shoulder, Hilario. Yeah, let's be real and we want it's all of Asia.
Speaker 1: It's all of Asia. Yeah, they I mean the support she gets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's loved and she's so nice, Like she's so beautiful and she has just this like head on her shoulders. She's so mature and emotionally intelligent, and she just says all the right things she does.
Speaker 1: And now I think this is a good point to go on record that we will not pronounce her nationality the way Cameron.
Speaker 2: Diaz, Oh, yes, are you we can't do that?
Speaker 1: Well, are you familiar with.
Speaker 4: The I haven't been to the Philppines, but I grew up with a lot of Philippinos Reales. My best friend that I grew up next door to her, her mother was from the Plippines Olympia.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a good accent.
Speaker 1: It's so funny that she like speeds up she goes. I been of the Philippines, but I grew up with the Philippines. My best friend was from the Philippines. It's so nuts, Like that's like me going, I haven't been to London, but I've got a.
Speaker 2: Lot of British friends in.
Speaker 1: Town and now and then.
Speaker 2: Cut that, cut that.
Speaker 1: Don't cut that because it's the same. It's so nuts. Yeah, but i'alla what to win? What a speech after? She's just I mean so likable.
Speaker 2: So like so marketable. So I think she'll be like soon one of the world's most highly paid tennis players.
Speaker 1: Well, getting through to the second week of Wimbledon means she's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just from a sponsorship point of view, if she's like the biggest in Asia, she could just be marketed all around there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Huge.
Speaker 1: Not only is she big in the pilopins, but she's all across Asia and now the world. Yes, yeah, and people go, oh yeah, she's like just a great pilapino player.
Speaker 2: Yeah everywhere mine. Yes.
Speaker 1: So this tournament going in was like the battle for number one on the women's side between Sablenka and Rebeccaa, but both going out early.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I know, Rebeccaa one out third round to mertens and then Sabolenka obviously losing two.
Speaker 2: Oh suck. This is awesome to see this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is old school Osaka, like when she was winning the US Open.
Speaker 2: Happy. Yeah, she looks excited to be the The serve is huge and she's happy with a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, that's serving from her in the first set against Sablenka, and Sabolenka admitted it after which you wouldn't I don't think normally hear do She goes, I got overpowered, Yeah, Sablenca being the hardest to hit her on the tour, being like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what she's got going on, right, it's such a hard hitting. Yeah, Whereas I feel like Osaka just read her beautifully.
Speaker 1: And she had won the last few matchups against Sabulenka, and so I just adjusted. And I feel maybe with Sablenka that if she can't hit players off the court, she doesn't really have a backup plan. Yeah yeah, yeah, and she's not like the strategist she's going to that net.
Speaker 2: Yeah anything, I know.
Speaker 1: And Osaka looked amazing. I mean, it was pretty flawless in that first set, and then just was able to ride that through.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is Sablenka's first straight sets loss at a major since twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. And she lost her what was her tiebreak sets that's gone now as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty over twenty twenty one. I know it was close to Djokovic's record tybreak's one in a row. But yeah, crazy stuff. So we're in the fourth round now talking about Sabalanka in Osaka. Whoa, this was. I love this match Mukova versus kai Chikova or the Mooch versus the Creach the creach. Yeah, I love Mooch versus Creach because they're two of the most fluid, just poetry and motion players, just wielding that racket like. It's so amazing to watch how they play and glide around the court. And it looked like Mukova was going to take it in straight sets. Ki Chikova just somehow push her to a third, and then Mukova was able to close it out. And they're both check players, very you know, friendly and chatty and at the net afterwards, again me analyzing because in the Pola iva Jovich match that Pola won in three sets, two American players, I'm watching the handshake at the net, going, surely it's like a hug and chat, a cursory handshake. Again, it was friendly enough.
Speaker 2: I have no idea fourth round.
Speaker 1: So Muka takes that one over cheek of a golf and benchic was a killer match. And now this brings me to another Mike g hot.
Speaker 2: Tache on the top floor. Oh my gosh, get rid of the curfew. Oh yeah, what's up with this curfew?
Speaker 1: What it's so?
Speaker 2: I don't even know there was one till this match.
Speaker 1: So Coco got it done, but apparently there was like a minute, minutes, two minutes despair and then when Coco won that cool like tapping though. Oh yeah, because there's literally like a lady that comes out when curfew is coming up and stands like in the back corner and like.
Speaker 2: I think it's Mary Poppins.
Speaker 1: It's Mary Poppins.
Speaker 2: I think she flies in on an umbrella. She's like, time to stop play children, Wrap it up, wrap it up, get inside. You don't want to get cold.
Speaker 1: I get rid of the curfew, Like right now when we're recording. They had to suspend the zaverav Lahechka match till tomorrow because they were in the third set is eleven pm. But they have a stadium with a roof, and they're like, oh, it's residents, you know, might get upset.
Speaker 2: You know of yourself Wimbledon residence. This is your time. They're probably not even there. It's a rich suburb they're at the Spanish houses.
Speaker 1: And also they moved to a suburb called Wimbledon and then they're complaining about the Wimbledon tennis tournament.
Speaker 2: Get some plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they knew what they were getting into. But it's probably old money and they've been there for generations. But so it is the tennis right. But before, like Center Court and Court one had the roofs on it, maybe there was a bit more noise or you know whatever. But now it's like it's for two weeks of the year. Just get past it. Let them finish. A lot of people hate this, but I love during the Grand Slams when like play is going on till four a m. In the morning, because yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But I mean five centers is not most people.
Speaker 1: But I mean it's led to some of the craziest matches in Australian Open history, you know, French us but this is the only one the curfew where they're like the residents are like, oh, keep it down, get up early.
Speaker 2: I've got to trade shares in the morning. I've got stop my wait market waits for nobody then has to.
Speaker 1: Get up early and make some small dick. Anyways, cough wins that one, so go to the quarters and then just a quick chat about the battle of the longest names in tennis. Oh, this is Alejandro da Vidovich versus Felix. Seen. This was an absolute epic, just a lot of uh, I mean the rally of the tournament if you haven't seen it yet, Oh spot.
Speaker 2: A point rally the tournament insane. Yeah, yeah, just like laughing though it was smiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, flying through the air to get a backhand like volley to the corner of the court, which Felix and ditches into the net and the crowd just on their feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This absolutely exhilarating, amazing stuff. Uh. Yeah, that was when they were still friendly because uh there's accusations of Davidovich Fikina then kind of faking an injury to throw Felix off his game.
Speaker 2: But World Cup and spine, Yeah, he's going for a dive.
Speaker 1: And then changing the well, attempting if you're going to believe the accusations to change Felix's momentum. Felix was then unable to close out the fourth, got through I think six to one in the fifth and was fine, but then it was beefy at the net. Yeah, it was a.
Speaker 2: Handshake, Yeah, what's your what's your red on this?
Speaker 1: My read is that Felix was just over it and was just like, he's a nice guy.
Speaker 2: He's the best, really sweet guy.
Speaker 1: I think he's very straightforward and very fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And he's Canadian. Yeah, they're nice people.
Speaker 1: Very polite.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But Davidovitch obviously say no, I was actually injured, but then seem to be playing fine. Yeah, and Felix thinking it was amsmanship and that he was just faking it to throw him off his serve and I it went to the fifth and then Felix was like, yeah, rather than usually at the end of an epic five center, you know, the little hug and be like, wasn't that crazy? But this was very cursory and very like no, no, no, I know what you're doing, you know. And Felix, being the polite, awesome guy that he is, didn't then trash talk him in the postmass match interview or in press. He just said the rule is bad that you can take an injury time out in the middle of a game, right, which I tend to agree with. And then in terms of retirement, Hubet hrcats retired in a five Cetter against Struff.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, you'll be hurt my hamstring.
Speaker 1: And then what just happened outside of novaks are passing fed with one hundred and six. Wimble didn't win Kabali demonar.
Speaker 2: Oh just looked too strong.
Speaker 1: I think it want it well. I love this battle because it's two of the fastest guys on tour. I have a question for you, Lizzie, who do you remember who the fastest guy at your school was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Lizzie.
Speaker 1: Who is that true?
Speaker 2: In my grade? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Were you the fastest? Yea true?
Speaker 2: Yeah you seen these cubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a load of the legs leg you were the fastest person in my grade. Yeah. Yeah, that is awesome. That is cool because you know what that means. Everyone at your school remembers you for being.
Speaker 2: The fastest, firstest kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that rules at my school in primary school. Still yeah, yeah, I mean in my school was David Yeah yeah boo, but he you know, I think works that he used car dealership. Now I choose not to run maybe bleep his name, but yeah, So this match is outside of Alcahaz, the two fastest guys on the tour. Yeah, and it was just awesome to see them just grind out these rallies and I think Kabali might have the best down the line. Backhand was just ripping that shot all match. But I was distracted by Kabali's man bra.
Speaker 2: Oh was it one of those ones that you know the AFL players were they have the little oh, but they're not allowed to wear a little track of.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what I thought because I looked it up and everyone says, so it looks like a man bra, a man's ear or a bro whatever you want to call it. A bra is for ladies, meet the bro. But they said it's like tracking geometrics or whatever all that crap, and it's like gives you a read of heart rate. And there wasn't there drama during the AOA the watch.
Speaker 2: But maybe you can get away with it by wearing the.
Speaker 1: Bra because you've subjected yourself to wearing.
Speaker 2: A bra man's ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's wearing I did just every time, like you could see it through. Obviously they're wearing Wimbledon whites and I'm like, what is he a C cup?
Speaker 2: It's a cup? Maybe yeah, maybe he's maybe he's got like picks.
Speaker 1: There appears to be some jiggling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's no future, but yeah, yeah, I mean he's pretty RiPP He's not like he's a small guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's small and nuggety as his Demon r As was Ella's next match up against Jasmine Pallini, So Paulini being her and Iola two of the most likable players on tour.
Speaker 2: So happy happy that Pollini is kind of back, like we don't really see much of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's kind of had a rough season, but she got through this and it was a great match. But unfortunately Iola's run has come to.
Speaker 2: And got a standing ovation when she left the court. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know there was just tons of watch parties happening in all the world. Back to the demon Ar Cabali match, Demon r He's not in a good way.
Speaker 2: He's not in a good way with these tenants. He's got a Grand Slam voodoo or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's generally gets into the second week.
Speaker 2: He's the number five tennis play. Yeah, breaks my brain a little bit, right, but he's then in the Slam, Like I get how it happens, but then in the Slams he can't get really past his quarterfinals.
Speaker 1: I think on the men's side of the draw, say number five and number four. Yeah, it's obviously you're in the top half of the top ten, but the gap is huge between these guys. Isn't a center in Alcoraz, you know, it's Vera probably as well. But I think demon ar is just like you see this with tennis players a lot. They play so much, there's so much pressure, the season is never ending, tons of travel. He's planning a wedding at the same time. Uh went out in straight sets to Koboli and was in the press conference afterwards just like distraught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to feel from Yeah, my read on it is like he just needs a little break. Go out and party. Yeah, I don't know, do the demon things. Yeah, go out with al, let your head out a little bit.
Speaker 1: Does he seem like the party type I.
Speaker 2: Think he should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's something that's missing from his life. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when is the wedding? Do we know that?
Speaker 2: I didn't?
Speaker 1: Were you fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a lot of fun happening in his games.
Speaker 1: It sounds like he's gonna take a break. I mean, a hardcourt swing starts pretty soon once Wimbledon is over and he's good on the hard court, I don't know obviously as the best Australian player. Yeah, we want to see him around of course playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't seem great at the moment for him, so who knows, maybe a break will do him good. Why not skip the US hard court season and then you know, get right for these.
Speaker 2: Have a little bit of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come back stronger.
Speaker 2: For the wedding. Yeah, enjoy your honeymoon. Yeah, do demon.
Speaker 1: Things, demon things. So I watched Fritz and Bublic in full this morning because I was like, this is going to be the match, and then it was just Fritz over Bublick and Straights. And then the match that I was like, I'll just watch the mini of because this is surely just going to be a blowout was Demitrov of Arthur Ferry. And then I'm watching the mini and I'm going.
Speaker 2: This is this is the match.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what the hell is happening here? Who saw this coming?
Speaker 2: No one, not even Arthur Faery. No did you see him at the end map to the crowd when he won, He was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dream.
Speaker 2: He just looks at his boxes.
Speaker 1: I want, oh my god, Arthur Ferry is so unknown that if you go on Google, you know, you can click on the match and they have like the little profile picks. They don't even have one. He's just said like empty. I mean maybe after today, who knows. But this is.
Speaker 2: This is the fairy tale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Arthur fairy tale.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and him winning this match I did not expect. I just watched the highlights because, like I said, and then I was looking at the stats for it and Dimitrov over fifty plus unforced errors and it's like yeah, and then it must have been on you know, break points. I mean what definitely was on breakpoints that fairy took. I I just just came out of nowhere for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just thought this was like an.
Speaker 2: Like a wild card into the tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think the first ever British wild card into the quarterfinals.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: It is nuts.
Speaker 2: Did it happen after England won?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So England won in the World Cup yeah against Mexico.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then now, I mean very one. Do you think he had the uh yeah, maybe he had spirit of England.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe something, maybe someone whispered any day like England just won. England just beat Mexico and he's like, all right, I got to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, said before lost. Yeah, well if you have over fifty plus on forced errors, and then the one guy is converting break points Arthur Ferry obviously, and then it's uh yeah, I think the stats, it's the it's that quota thing in tennis where it doesn't matter if you've you can win more points but still lose the match. And Dimitrov just like looked off, like even in the highlights, I saw missing.
Speaker 2: A lot of those one fault yeah final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but this sets up I think these quarterfinals are more excited about than any quarterfinals.
Speaker 2: They are so good. Yeah, there's like primo players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the women's I mean soccer and the mooch.
Speaker 2: Who are you gonna go for? You're gonna I'm gonna Goka, I'll.
Speaker 1: Go the mooch. I mean it's gonna be good. I can't wait. Oh we should touch on before we go through the quarterfinals. That Madison Keys loss to Lyndon Oscovo, meaning that are producer wins the pick a w t al who gets the deepest in the tournament. You went out straight away. I just went back A hot pick who's your heart. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, she went out second round. I think Madison Keys, I mean just A Noskova was too solid, too strong, and Madison just totally wasn't on her game. So our producer E Roll had picked Pagola. Let's go through it, Osaka, Mukeva Osaka in the mooch. You say Osaka, I say, mooch. Pagola Golf is wow, I want golf. Should we change up the bet from here? Pick a lady and if that lady wins the tournament, then that person. This does not appeal to our producer at all.
Speaker 2: He already won, loses suggestion.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to get back in it. All right, Well, I think, okay, Pogola beats Golf and then goes on through to win the tournament, but you still have some amazing players in the bottom half of the quarterfinals. Cost Jak Paulini, Yes that is. Cost Jack's not like a grass court play, like known as a solid grass court player, but she's having amazing tournaments. Yeah, and I think she's won like twenty of her last twenty one matches.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah on the roll, Yeah, maybe Costjak duck Horse.
Speaker 1: So you think Costjak over Paulini. Yeah, okay, and then the last one on a Oscova Mertens who cares no Mertens look great. I mean she beat Rebecca, but the less that's probably the one I'm lee'st pumped about. But I'll still absolutely watch it, and it's you know, it's a fun quarterfinal like all around. And then in the men's side, obviously Zaverev Lahka still yet to be decided, but Zverev is up two sets and they're on serve and the third the winner that will play Taylor Fritz. I would love to see Taylor fitz Verev again. Two guys just absolutely bombing their serves at each other. And Zverev can't beat Fritz. Yeah, but also I would have said Osaka can't beat sable Anka, So I.
Speaker 2: Mean, who knows.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is time, but I mean I really, you know, I think Zverev keeps his consistency obviously against Lahehka and gets through to the quarters and Zara Fritz. I'm still gonna pick Fritz. And that one, uh Koboli, Arthur Ferry Koboli, I mean I think that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would think.
Speaker 1: Can we also mention that Koboli in every Grand Slam. In a postmatch, Andy has brought up his I felt some strange feeling on my on my stomach and when I came I came back from from the bathroom was okay.
Speaker 2: So maybe a little bit too much information. What are they feeding this guy? He needs to change his diet.
Speaker 1: I think he's like, yeah, Celiac or something, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: I did look up. I'm like, is he gluten free? And apparently he is right. But then people like I see him eat bread all the time. But he's Italian, so like I can't give up the past. Like when he sees it, he's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, imagine having the confidence to talk about shooting your pants and wearing.
Speaker 2: A bras he rules.
Speaker 1: He's so funny, so fun or it's like someone of his friends says, dared him. Every Grand Slam tournament, you have to tell everyone.
Speaker 2: When ash Bodied did the Disney characters thing or whatever. She even in the press conference have to talk about shooting my pens.
Speaker 1: Djokovic Ali Asim is gonna be probably most excited about that. For the men's quarterfinals, what do you think. I feel like Djokovic, but I think he gets pushed to five and then he's ruined for the semifinals.
Speaker 2: Says Jack.
Speaker 1: Mine says, fah, yeah, I see Center kind of getting through Struff pretty easily, and because Struff was surprisingly the win against Medvedev caught me off guard. But Medvedev, again we never know, showed up volatile, was up in every set and then lost in straits. Uh Sinner gets through Struff and then plays Djokovic in the semi. But my prediction, yeah, Djokovic is ruined from the FAA match and then yeah, Center ends up winning the tournament against I don't know, I'm gonna say Fritz in the final. So who do you like on the men's side? Center? Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I want I do want Jokovic to go through the final.
Speaker 1: Get that elusive number twenty five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I like a story arc? You do want it to be finished?
Speaker 1: Well, story arc would be Arthur Ferry.
Speaker 2: I know about beating Center in the final, anything is possible.
Speaker 1: Imagine if that happened and England wins the World Cup, people will be insufferable.
Speaker 2: Yeah this time that would be too much. Alright, all right, Mike, are you ready for approaching the next.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Can I ask you in tennis playing doubles. Have you ever been hit?
Speaker 1: No, I was discussed last week or the week before. I have been hit in the throat and I talked with the whistle for a while. Yes, yes, I've been hitting the ass. What do you got?
Speaker 2: Oh it's like a plum. Yeah, okay, that would have hurt.
Speaker 1: My favorite part is that his doubles partner.
Speaker 2: Was laughing, yeah, because it's funny.
Speaker 1: I mean, these guys are ripping serves and like, he hits him properly. Yeah, but you probably friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think he would love. But then he realizes that he's in quite some pain and goes over and dissoles him. So I don't think the guy who got him in the head would have known that his friend was loughing.
Speaker 1: Oh he's I'm sure he's been tagged in that particular like a million times, and his friends just like, yeah, I gave you CT.
Speaker 2: Yeah probably unheard of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be funny of the next match. I don't know if they went through, but he's just wearing a helmet.
Speaker 2: So Wimbill done, famous for strawberries and cream. How do you think it comes so well?
Speaker 1: I initially thought it was because I'm dumb that it was the American way of with whipped cream cream. Yeah, like so like a strawberry shortcut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like in a little cup or something.
Speaker 1: Assumed in a cup and then just doused in whipped cream and yeah, sugary, nice whipped cream. But then our friend Eliza West did a post talking about how it's just like condensed milk. Hmm, like full cream milk they just dump on top of it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the strawberries are the hero. Yeah, but we've seen a picture, yeah, of a fan who's there and they've taken a picture and it doesn't look like I would pay for it.
Speaker 1: That is one of the grimmest pictures all times.
Speaker 2: Seven ish strawberries. Yeah, they look beautiful, but then there's like just cream dumped on top.
Speaker 1: It looks like what they drained out of Serena's knee. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It's a real pussy knee.
Speaker 1: There's yeah, not enough strawberries. It's at the bottom of like a Chinese takeaway.
Speaker 2: A little box. I wonder if they ran out of the actual vessel that I'm meant to use, and they're just like, oh, we've only got these boxes left, so we've got to put it in here, do we know how much this costs? Okay, let's guess all right, I'm going to go equivalent twenty four aud so that's probably twelve pounds.
Speaker 1: Twelve pounds okay, I mean no way, I for this. I'm gonna say eight.
Speaker 2: Pounds, eight pounds.
Speaker 1: It's actually two pounds eighty five Okay, So what is that like? Six bucks? Aussie?
Speaker 2: Well, there you get what you pay six dollars. Have you been doing Australia's supermarket recently? Imagine strawberries.
Speaker 1: I would want someone to pay me to slurp that down and in the summer heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would want someone to feed to me.
Speaker 1: Do you imagine the cream's got to be chilled at least curtled?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I feel like it's curdling.
Speaker 1: It's so loose.
Speaker 2: As a non lactose person, that image scary.
Speaker 1: Really, that's a nightmare for you. But also the article it says tennis fans horror at reality of Wimbledon strawberries and cream. So again, this is a British person just complaining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they love to complain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you telling me?
Speaker 2: This pound.
Speaker 1: Blimy crawberry cream? It's not even tastes like pens and a shoe.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Do we have any British listeners? Probably not anymore, And that.
Speaker 3: Was approaching the net table.
Speaker 1: We have a winner, the only one to do the impression. To set it up, we asked for the what was the quiz question? It was who was the last man to beat Roger Federer at Wimbledon? And you have to do an impression of that person?
Speaker 2: Yes, and our beautiful friend a Rash from Sweden.
Speaker 1: I'd say, we just do you have the audio? Yeah? The man to be Roger Featherer is obviously me hub Yeah, a rash. That's good, It's good.
Speaker 2: Does it continue?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I was waiting for the ending. Yeah, obviously me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, I mean the impression and everything. We love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love that you listen and you write in her. I've got a quizzy who question for our listeners. Please email us at pod labor at tennis dot com dot au. Who is the first unseated player to win Wimbledon? Do you know the answer?
Speaker 1: I do, but we want an impression again, an impression, send that in more impression. It's going to be a rash again.
Speaker 2: And we'll see you next week. For our Wimbledon wrap up.
Speaker 1: We're gonna wrap up Wimbledon. The first week was a killer. I'm spending so much time on the couch, loving every second of it. I've done three screens at once during the first week.
Speaker 2: Where I had oh my gosh, what's you set up?
Speaker 1: I had the TV this is at the hotel in Sydney, the TV, and then I had another match on the laptop, and then a third match on the phone.
Speaker 2: Whoa, yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm hacking into the main threat.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, I'm going to hang out with my Pilipino friends.
Speaker 1: Oh I've actually never been to the Philippines, but I have many Bilipino breads.
Speaker 2: I actually do have a lot of friends.
Speaker 1: Do you Yeah, all right, where are they from?
Speaker 2: Rockampton?
Speaker 1: See you next week. People.
Speaker 2: Is grazy