Speaker 1: I heard podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free. iHeart app A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura ben Bady.
Speaker 2: Your work, our windows done. That's my world.
Speaker 3: Reason the dust, only good fabs.
Speaker 4: Are all down. I don't much now, but yeah, I know I'll big get and what I want.
Speaker 2: It don't matter where does This is the pickup?
Speaker 1: Happy hum day everyone? It is the pick up with Britt Hockey and Laura brn Hey.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is accurate. Producer Grace just before we started, I'm actually quiet.
Speaker 1: You should be offended.
Speaker 3: I'm actually really offended.
Speaker 2: Actually, the more I think about it.
Speaker 4: We were just talking before the break and producer Grace pops up.
Speaker 3: I said to her, do you hate us as a joke?
Speaker 1: No, it's because you were doing I can't remember exactly.
Speaker 4: What you were doing.
Speaker 2: You were being annoying.
Speaker 1: And then you said, I think producer Grace hates us. Sorry Grace, and we know you love us.
Speaker 3: Grace came back and said something that shook me to my call.
Speaker 4: She says, I think everybody hates somebody two percent, so that's normal.
Speaker 1: No, she said, I think everybody hates everybody two percent. Grace honestly believes in her soul. You can take a second to defend yourself.
Speaker 2: I stand by this. I'm not going to say I didn't mean this. So you hate me two percent? No, I just hate is a strong word.
Speaker 4: You use it, but I know it's a part of life that you get annoyed by people.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I annoy it is love people.
Speaker 1: But you go, oh gosh, that's annoying Grace. No, genuinely, she stands by it that every single person she's ever come in contact with she hates them by minimum two percent.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a single person in this.
Speaker 1: World that you love everything about. Hang on, let's just let's just because they annoying me. But I don't they don't have two I don't have two percent hate for them. No, that's the incorrect.
Speaker 2: Let's just get this.
Speaker 3: Clear silence on set. Do you hate us two percent? It's yes or no?
Speaker 5: No, Well then you're telling me sometimes, Laura, we talk a lot about dating and reliefationships here and online dating and how crazy the world can be.
Speaker 3: And I've always felt really sorry for a lot of people that.
Speaker 4: Are single and trying, like really hard to find the love of their life, their penguin, their lobster, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 2: But there's a lobster. Yeah, lobsters mate for life as well, do they?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lobster.
Speaker 1: I take it back for laughing. I'm so sorry to not laugh at me such important facts.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of animal facts.
Speaker 4: A right, okay, whatever, We'll talk animal facts another day.
Speaker 3: So there's a thread online that's made me realize why.
Speaker 2: So many people might be single.
Speaker 4: People are posting the pettiest reasons that they dumped somebody, Like I mean, I think about the reasons I've broken up with cin past I once broke up with someone because they.
Speaker 3: Farted too much.
Speaker 1: Like, No, I feel like petty reasons though, it's like that's the thing that you can attach something to, Like you didn't get a vibe there was like obviously something was missing already.
Speaker 2: No, the fights were so bad. And on top of that, he had a single bed.
Speaker 4: I realized we could have bought a bigger bed, but I just like, it wasn't there.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it is a single dude with a single bed.
Speaker 2: He wasn't single. We were dating. That was the whole point. I stopped you.
Speaker 1: I once dated a guy who only had the mattress on the floor and no top sheet. I think that's way worse than a single bed.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, we think that's bad.
Speaker 4: Have her listened to some of the reasons people are dumping their partners. One person says she dumped her partner because he failed to wish her a safe flight when she was going away for the weekend.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean something could have happened. I mean he didn't care about her.
Speaker 4: Okay, I cut him off when he didn't make sure I got home safe after our date because my future husband would never Also.
Speaker 1: These things just pertain to a bit of chivalry, right, Like they just want someone who's got a bit more chivalry to them, cares about them, thinks about them.
Speaker 4: Well, we put it out to you guys as well. We wanted to get some people to write in. But some of them are Like one person said, he flipped the steak too many times when cooking it, like kept slipping it over every thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: I kind of get this one. He made himself a coffee in his kitchen right in front of me and didn't make me one or even offer I think that that is like I kind of get that it's just inconsiderate.
Speaker 2: I listened to this. No, he was waving to me outside the shops.
Speaker 3: Then he turned away and rollerbladed away from me.
Speaker 2: That is funny. I think there's something.
Speaker 4: I don't think I can date someone that's like dropping me at the store on rollerblades.
Speaker 1: I got one. He wrote every sentence on a new line within a text message. It looked like a poem and it gave me the ick. Also, do you remember back in the day when you used to pay like multiple text message, Like every x amount of characters was like a new text message. You get charged for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, he kept writing hay hy instead of hating text. I mean, guys, I think you've been a little bit fussy here.
Speaker 1: Like I don't understand when people will write off dating someone because of like bad grammar or something like that. I understand that we kind of can have like a bit of a an elitist status when it comes to like how people write text messages or they communicate, or people that use too much abbreviations. But all that stuff can be changed. You can, you know, you can kind of improve.
Speaker 2: For give them a dictionary you can change. Then you can change a person paid. We have Kaylor on the line. Kayler, did you dump someone for a petty reason?
Speaker 6: I did. Dental hygiene is paramount to me, and I noticed that he had really bad build up of plaque on his bottom teeth, and it was an instant. No, I can't sold our football date that night, and I said to him the next day, I'm.
Speaker 1: Out, okay. I don't think it's petty's. I think, yeah, you're safeguarding your future because you would have had to have made out with that mouth. That's just that's just.
Speaker 3: I think thinking is with.
Speaker 2: The rule around this.
Speaker 3: He's like, if you can see the plaque from a distance, it's too much.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: No, I'm actually I'm okay with that one. I won some didn't go out with a guy again because he had very, very clammy hands. I was just remembering it. We were walking down the main street and he held my hand and I was like, wow, that's very wet hand. And then it was like hours later and he held my hand again and I was like, oh my god, his hand is so wet. He's just clammy, and I just, yeah, it was too much.
Speaker 2: It might have been.
Speaker 3: Nervous your beauty might have blown away so much that he was so nice.
Speaker 2: Hey, we got gen on the line, Jen.
Speaker 3: Did you dump someone for a stupid reason?
Speaker 8: Yes? What he decided that to impress me and wants to cook eggs for breakfast and ye, and he had a frying pan, a nonstick frying pan, and pretty much half of it was filled with oil, and when he put the egg in, it was swimming in oil, and I thought that was it.
Speaker 1: So he was deep frying his fried egg and you had a yeah, okay, look, you can also tell him just to use less oil.
Speaker 4: Hang on, just to clarify, was it the fact that he used oil non stick pan or was the fact that he used oil because it's unhealthy?
Speaker 8: I think both, And I think it was he was a bit confused because he thought we were going well. But you know, in his defense, I think it was just a rebound guy and I just needed anything to you.
Speaker 1: This is what I think. I agree. I'm like, if you're finding reasons out of that petty to break out with someone, you know you're not that into it.
Speaker 4: Of course, he could possibly be thought was going well, he took your way and he's cooking your breakfast and you're like, nah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: No, I stick by that. I reckon that people are just looking for an easy out. Dating is hard enough. You're not ruling someone out because they use a bit too much oil in a pan. Now the pluck for me, I'm out there. Yeah yeah, no, I agree. Now, Britt, you might remember a few weeks back, we were speaking about there's kind of been this real change and shift in perceptions around letting your kids sleep over at people's houses. And there's a debate that's been happening online as to whether, firstly, what is the right age, and as to whether it's the right thing for your kids' safety to let them sleep over at friends' houses. And it's an interesting one because we talked about it, it blew up on socials. I don't know how I feel about it as a mum to two little girls, because I have seen some truly harrowing stories that have been shared on social media about horrible things that have happened on sleepovers. But I also know that it's kind of like, I write a passage for kids, and we all did it as kids, and it's some of the best memories. Even though you come back tired and no one slept, and like you know, also has a downside.
Speaker 4: You know what, I the only thing I'll quickly had to before because I know it's serious. But my best friend reminded me on the weekend. We've been best friends for thirty years and we used to say each other's house all the time. She's like, remember how every time we'd have a sleepover, you'd only come if you liked what we had for dinner.
Speaker 1: Like I used to say, are you reading?
Speaker 2: She's like, want to save tonight? And I was like, what's for dinner?
Speaker 3: I was like eight?
Speaker 2: She told me if I did like it, I wouldn't go.
Speaker 1: I like that you had strong boundaries even as an eight year old, did I knew what I wanted?
Speaker 2: Well, look, it.
Speaker 1: Really did blow up on socials, so many people were discussing the fore and against it. There's a lot of families who are kind of taking the rout now of not letting their kids go to sleepovers. But then there's also people who think that maybe we're wrapping our kids too much. In Cotton boll Someone who did slide into our DMS is Genevieve Mua now jen Is. She's an Obstretix social worker, and she also has the business connected parenting, and it was really nice to chat to someone who actually has insight into this. Not only does she have four boys herself, but she's helped a lot of parents across the country manage what is a great way of finding a middle ground in this, Jen, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Guys, Jen, I'm assuming the middle ground isn't asking what they've got for dinner.
Speaker 7: I love that though. That is brilliant. I'm asking that next. So I get asked on the sleepover for sure?
Speaker 1: Do you think that it's something that parents should be particularly concerned about or do you feel as though that maybe there has been I guess a bit of fear mungering happening online and on social media at the moment around this whole sleepover debate.
Speaker 9: I think it's hard to be a parent in general these days. One of the things that I think is a good thing, right is there's been a massive social change in our understanding of what the risk to kids are and we now know that when it comes to those risks or when things happen to kids that we would like to protect them from ninety percent of the time that happens at the hands of someone we know and trust. Now, that's why the sleepover thing has become an issue. Now think back to the old days where we thought the risk was strangers totally and that's what we want kids about, and we now.
Speaker 7: Know how we had that wrong.
Speaker 9: So I love that p have access to the right information now about how to protect their kids. You know, we could say that's.
Speaker 10: No sleepovers ever, but we let.
Speaker 9: Our kids go online where so many similar tricky things can happen online. Right, So what we really want to do is start to have a sense of, well, who is my.
Speaker 10: Kid, where are they going? So how well do I know that family?
Speaker 9: In terms of my kids, I'm looking.
Speaker 7: For certain levels of skill. Is my child at.
Speaker 9: An age where they absolutely know they could come to me if they felt uncomfortable, they could ask to go home, could they communicate that if they needed to. If my child has those skills, if I have someone in my life where I really trust and I've known them.
Speaker 7: For a while, then that's a really.
Speaker 9: Different thing than if they don't have those skills, and I want to kind of acknowledge they'd.
Speaker 10: Be single parents that do not have an.
Speaker 9: Option if they're doing shipwork, then to have sometimes the village step in and support them. We might have great relatives and grandparents, we might have really close family friends that.
Speaker 7: We've known and we intimately know really well.
Speaker 9: So I think it's also about every situation is different. But the final thing that we can all do from a really young age, and that is really talk openly and honestly to your kids about a couple of key things.
Speaker 10: One is you know the normal names.
Speaker 9: Of body parts, and kind of making sure we have open and honest conversations about those things.
Speaker 7: Teaching our kids things.
Speaker 9: Like you don't have to hug your uncle if you don't want to, you can give them a high five. So that's body autonomy and having a sense of that stuff from a really young age. And the final thing, and I think this matters more than anything else, there is nothing you could.
Speaker 7: Ever do or say that would make me love you less.
Speaker 9: There's nothing you can't tell me I will always believe you. And that one you have to keep saying from the beginning all the way through. You know, at sixteen we're still saying the same thing. You're going out tonight. There is nothing that could happen or that you could do where you can't call me and I wouldn't be there on your side to help you.
Speaker 1: Jen, out of curiosity, how old are your kids when you let them sleep over at people's houses?
Speaker 9: So look really different ages depending on the child. But like I think, if we were to say like a good age in general, I think it's probably somewhere upwards of maybe eight ish. I know there's been some guidelines put out by the government where they're saying from about eleven. I think that's quite old myself, because most kids will go on their first school camp.
Speaker 7: At around eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you don't think about that too. I remember going on the school camp lucky. My mum never really let us stay at people's houses, but they always stay to ours, so I was kind of used to the sleepover environment. Oh got ours everywhere I did out. I didn't know your mum also had four kids, and she was like, just get one of them out of the house.
Speaker 2: That we kids, and they were all working. They were like find a friend today somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Thanking so much, Jen, thanks for joining the show.
Speaker 7: Absolute pleasure. Guys.
Speaker 1: There is an etiquette when it comes to Facebook marketplace right, Like it's kind of an unspoken edite about how you interact with the buyer and the seller and what you do when you've got to pick the thing up from their house and X y Z, Like I think most people know how to be when it comes to me like a place.
Speaker 4: It's pretty annoying though, like how many conversations you have about how much something is?
Speaker 3: Can you do a better price? You talk to them for like where are you when's a good time?
Speaker 4: You talked to them for like three days about picking up saying for twenty bucks and then they're like not and.
Speaker 1: Then then they go stray yeah, and you're like.
Speaker 3: What just wasting my life?
Speaker 1: We were talking about funny experiences that we'd had off the back of it, because everyone's had like a bit of a cooked experience if you've used it enough times. I had something happened recently where I was. I wasn't even selling it. I was giving away a coffee table. I was like, just someone come and take this coffee table off my hands. And this man came into my house. I was there with the kids, Matt wasn't home. He comes into the house. Forty five minutes later he is still in my house having a chat. Lovely English guy. He's moving to Australia. Just give me his life story.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's trying to make some new friends.
Speaker 1: Maybe he was talking about his wife. His wife was having a baby. Then he wanted to know about the dog, and I was like, please just take the coffee table and get out of my house.
Speaker 2: I'll pay you to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, I'll give you the twenty dollars to lead anyway, I had to pretend like I needed to go and have a shower and that the kids need a nat. My kid's full. She doesn't nask.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'll watch the kids, want you shall But.
Speaker 1: There was one story that came up produce the grace here she is. I don't think that anyone could top the Facebook marketplace story that you had. There was a lot of trust that was put in you. Yes there was.
Speaker 4: But my wife, Diana, she is the sort of person that gets really into hobbies and just loves buying everything before she's even had to go at it. So a couple of weeks ago she was like, I want to get really into surfing. Has never surfed in her life, and she was like, this is my thing now. So he organized this meet up to get this surfboard off Facebook marketplace. The guy was like, you know what, I'm actually out for the day, but I'm going to pop it next to this table blah blah blah in the garage.
Speaker 1: And I was like, great, we're sweet.
Speaker 2: We drove an.
Speaker 1: Hour and a half there. How much was he charging for it?
Speaker 4: Surfboard in the garage? Aaron down South, down South?
Speaker 1: But it was a good price, good price, work the drive, great.
Speaker 4: Surfboard looked good for beginners. We're like, were set, and I was like, I will indulge you this once, but this will be the last surfboard you're buying anyway. So we get there, find the surfboard exactly where he said, next to the table, and then we're like, okay, it's not going to fit in the car.
Speaker 2: We're going to have to rope it to the roof.
Speaker 4: So we're in the kind of mentality of if he can't tie knots, tie loots, so we have like seven that's the saying. So we've tied it all down. We're driving back on the freeway. We're like, we've nailed this, but then the surfboard starts flapping.
Speaker 2: The wind that gets under surfboard on the roof of your car.
Speaker 1: We're about to lose this surfboard that we've just purchased.
Speaker 2: My wife's new hobby.
Speaker 4: Who's so excited about it. It's flapping, it's flapping, and we're like heart thumping. You can't even pull over because it's like a bit on a highway. So we get home and we just made it. There's like ropes flying everywhere, and we're like, this is so dangerous.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe that we've made it.
Speaker 4: Back with this surfboard a picture of it to send it to the guy and go thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We just made it. Was a bit. Hen't know where this is going.
Speaker 4: He stented back, that's not my surfboard.
Speaker 3: He just stole some we accidentally we went into the garage.
Speaker 4: It was exactly where he said, but it was his roommate's surfboard.
Speaker 1: You stole someone's surfboard, so it was the right I thought you went into the wrong house. Yes, No, it was the roommate's surfboard, much fancier than the one we were picking up. We were like, we've got to steal that is did you have to drive it back, had to drive all the way back. We learned how to tie not its the second time around, so at least the surfboard stayed attached to the car. I'm just imagining you're getting the surfboard bat. It's so bad, en aughter, being tried to a couple of roof racksy like, there it is, give me the other one. It's a trade up.
Speaker 2: When I stole that dog from the person's card, you thought we were saving it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was lost and I took it from the lawn.
Speaker 2: I was like, don't worry, sweet angel, I'm gonna save you.
Speaker 4: I had a fleck two days, and it turns out when I finally contacted the owner, he was so grateful.
Speaker 2: He was like, thank you so much for being worried sick. And I was like, tell me where you live, I'll drop it back. He gave me his address and I was like.
Speaker 3: Pretty sure that's where I took it from.
Speaker 4: And I was like you're welcome, Like it's crazy out there, be careful.
Speaker 2: Took the dog back, mortified.
Speaker 1: That's so good, Grace. When you first held me that story, I thought you'd gone into the wrong house, but you didn't have a choice. Returning it since you so evidently took the wrong one.