Speaker 1: So this past weekend I took my new fiance Ben to Port mccruary.
Speaker 2: Do you want to?
Speaker 3: Do you want me to?
Speaker 1: I cant?
Speaker 2: Does it still it feel weird when you say it like it? Does it feel like it's rolling off the tongue yet? Or are you just gonna let my fiance?
Speaker 3: No, it's not rolling. I'm always like fiance.
Speaker 1: Like a loser anyway. I can't even say normally my fiance.
Speaker 3: As you should.
Speaker 1: I got engaged if you haven't heard, I got engaged, just announced it last week, so it's all very fresh. But I took Ben up to Port McQuary to see my family because that's where all my family live, like my brothers, my nieces and nephews, my Grandmam Mount, he's my cousin's parents, everyone. Now, my partner, Ben is from Switzerland, so he's only ever been to Australia two or three times.
Speaker 3: It's only ever with me.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know much about Australia other than he's gonna marry in Australian. So I take him up and we're all having a great time, and I don't think much of it, and I sort of just make a joke, a throwaway comment about how it's a tradition in Australia to when you get married the man to go and catch fish for the in laws how to win them over. Okay, so when you say it was just a throwaway commet, how does one's brain even get to the place. So you're like, I just had the throwaway commet where I created an entire Australian tradition that doesn't exist just throw away.
Speaker 3: It's how my.
Speaker 1: Brain works, and it's how my family is. We always like play tricks, but it wasn't a set up as a trick. No one in my family knew about it, right. I just said, oh, yeah, Ben.
Speaker 2: You've got to go because my dad loves you, gotta go catch some fish.
Speaker 3: It's like, Ben, don't you know you've gotta go fishing while you're here.
Speaker 1: He's like, what do you mean? And I just made up a story off the top of my head. I was like, yes, well it's part of and my parents all looked at me and everyone just.
Speaker 2: Rolled with it, because lying is a really good foundation for a new relationship.
Speaker 3: Like he's a great way to forge into married life. We love it.
Speaker 1: When my brother in law Jay, he married my sister he's from Scotland.
Speaker 3: When he came over, we played this whole prank on him where we.
Speaker 1: Gave him a whistle and he had We said that drop bears exist and you have to carry a whistle and if a drop bed drops on you, you have to blow a whistle in his face and run.
Speaker 3: He carried that whistle on him from months. He truly believed it'd be real.
Speaker 2: What is wrong with your family?
Speaker 3: It was very funny and hell. So I said that to Ben and we all.
Speaker 1: Rolled with it, and I said, what the tradition is? You know it's from the when you know it's from the indigenous dream time.
Speaker 3: That's what I said. That's so culturally inappropriate. I know, I know. But because he had, he said where did it come from?
Speaker 1: And I said, well, it's been making I said yeah. I said, it's been here from when Australia started. Like it's it's an og dream time kind of thing. So I said, you've got it. If you don't catch fish, it's indicative that your relationship is not going to go very well, because it means it's not going to go swimmingly.
Speaker 3: One might say, how are you with creative writing? In high school? Would have been some great stories.
Speaker 1: Brilliant so anyway, but I didn't actually think he was going to take it that serious. I thought he'd have a laugh about it. So the next morning at five thirty in the morning. Now Ben is a football player, he loves his fashion. He has never fished in his entire life.
Speaker 3: It's just mountains, yes, and go and go cows. So five thirty in the morning he woke up.
Speaker 1: He's never got up there early in his life with my dad, and then my dad stuck to this whole lie.
Speaker 3: It was this whole fabrication.
Speaker 1: He went out rock fishing for the very first time to try and catch fish so that our marriage would go well. He caught seven fish. He literally you could not dream of this. He threw his line into the water first time ever. It was in the water for five seconds. Huge fish. Well he kind of showed you that, didn't he. He was like, I'm good at everything. He came back and bless his soul, he came back and he goes, Babe, look how good our marriage is going to be?
Speaker 3: And seven fish? And I was like, how do I tell you?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: You're lying? So I'm not. He's going to believe for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, if that wasn't rooted in a lie, i'd say that he's absolutely gorgeous.
Speaker 2: But now it's like a terrible tradition that you have to take to the grave.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, now he's going to tell everyone, but that's what he is. Do I tell him or not?
Speaker 2: I also enjoy that fish dinner and just get on with it totally.
Speaker 3: I think that's so harmless. It's beautiful because no one's heard. It's a little prank, silly.
Speaker 1: Also, it's not the worst prank because like now he knows how to fish and be I know that he can provide for me if all else fails, he can go and catch a fish.
Speaker 3: I did in a favor.
Speaker 2: I wonder if you're ever going to be in a situation in life where you have to go out and catch a fish to provide for you.
Speaker 3: I think you guys are fine. You never know, it's not going to happen. I've seen the ring you guys.
Speaker 2: You your ring first, and then you won't need to forage for a fish, all right.
Speaker 1: You