Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order KERNI Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, is Friday, which means we usually get the team together, but Jess is sick, so Beck, it's you and me today.
Speaker 5: I'm okay with that look.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be fine. I don't awful do the episode justice because Jess always keeps us on track and we're the rogue ones.
Speaker 2: I'm going to miss a.
Speaker 4: What's this going to be called? The B in B VB the VB episode? Yeah, all right, So this week, as always, we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins, which I get the privilege of doing. We're going to be talking broke tips. Beck said something about a banana before. I'm sure it's a secret. Okay, sorry. We're also going to be answering a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about what to prioritize when returning from maternity leave. And we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about which this week, Beck, we're going to be talking about a topic that he gives me the ig. Yeah, housemates who let their friends use your room when you're on Oh, oh my god, it's gonna be a little bit gross. But this first things first, my love, how was your week?
Speaker 5: My week was really good. I went to Actually it's a four. It's been a full week. I feel rejuvenated, I feel great. I feel like it's been a good week. It's been a really really good week. So a lot of friends and did a lot of things and did a lot of chores and that's really exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very fun, not just working my life away. I am halfway through not recording, but scripting up and like doing all the research, which always takes me the longest of our investing masterclass. It's is coming out soon. Yeah, I'm really excited about it. I asked a question in the Facebook group the other day and I was just like, hey, guys, like I'm putting these together, Like what do you need to know? Because obviously I've already done so much research. I've written a book on investing, but I just want to jam pack so much more into it. Like I genuinely think that maybe like ten percent of what I talk about in the course is like in the book. Right, It's like just gone real rogue like because it's my course and I don't have a producer or an editor in the same way that I had a book. I'm like, well, that's staying in. That's staying in. I'm the boss here. So yeah. I asked the group what you guys want, and I was like, hey, what can I include? And there were just so many good suggestions. So I went back to the drawing board and I like, redid my skeleton. And we're halfway there, which means I'm recording it soon, which means it will launch soon. And I'm very excited about it. That's lost. So maybe nobody else cares about an investing master class. I do because I think it's gonna be lit. So that's mainly what I have done literally a week.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow, I get like hyper fixated on something. Yeah, so like I've been doing it. Not that you should brag about how many hours you're putting in, but like I'm like up to like ten eleven every night doing this, like on the couch. Sure, just because I'm just so excited. I'm like, oh yep. And then like I just keep typing and my husband's like, I'll just play video games this week.
Speaker 2: I guess that is very exciting me.
Speaker 5: You're a very hard worker and I'm very very impressed by everything you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't even know if it's hard work. I've just got a hyperfixation at the moment. So that's a symptom, right, you know what. We'll just Yeah, it's definitely an ADHD scotcha. I'm definitely hyper excited on it. So we're definitely not going to be putting the same hours in moving forward. But like you get what you get and you don't get up exactly all right. So this is where I usually would hand over to our friend Jessica and be like, Hey, what community money wins have you got this week? Beck, She's not here? No, so do we just skip? Absolutely? I've got them. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 4: I've rounded up my favorites. Okay, first things first, Rosalie, She says, money loss. I bought a ten pack of nuggets and they only had nine in there.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's usually the other way around. You usually get a few more, you don't usually get less.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really rude. That's really rude. I'd be salty about that too. We've got a money win from Katie, who's new to our community. Hi Katie, she says, I have three kids, and I used our separate door dash accounts and I used the one dollar deal promotion for an easy Sunday night takeaway dinner. Four burghers and chips cost me four bucks.
Speaker 5: No way, is that a good money way? Very sick. Maybe we'll tal about this off, Mike, but I really want to know how.
Speaker 4: So door Dash had a promotion recently, spob, I don't know, we can google it, but they had a promotion recently where one item from like random menus, so it would depend on what area you were in. But like some burger places were like, okay, we'll out chicken burger today is a dollar and so she clearly has hacked it. So four burgos four bucks. You can't even make that a year.
Speaker 5: That seriously, that's so good.
Speaker 4: And chips and jip chippies these days as an add on spenot they're like seven dollars fifty at a minuet.
Speaker 5: Now, what the heck is that star?
Speaker 4: Just see potato.
Speaker 2: Still going to do it, yeah, still going to do it for sure.
Speaker 4: All right, we've got a money win from Charlotte, she said. I don't usually share, but I really have to. We direct debit weekly to our gas and electricity account, a bit more expensive than required to cover any unexpected laid bills. We recently moved house and turns out we were eight hundred dollars in credit. Whoa. We've been refunded the money and we're hoping to repurpose that money on some fun projects on the new house we didn't even think we could fund straight away.
Speaker 5: That is so same win.
Speaker 4: I love this. I have a couple more. Do you want me to keep going?
Speaker 5: Please? Yes?
Speaker 4: This one's from Hugh. Hugh says money win a month ago, I changed my SIM card plan from Optis to a Masim, which saves me twenty dollars a month. Since then, Optis contacted me with a different offer. They offered me the same price with more data. I thought that was pretty good. Then today a Masim was like, hey, we'll give you ten dollars less, so obviously I said yes. And it's a fifty percent discount on what I should be paying.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's good money.
Speaker 4: When I literally love when people hustle yes and to like negotiate a phone bill. Do you know these days you can basically just go online and talk to the online chat function. You don't even have to pick up the phone, which is what I think is most of our community a bit of anxiety. It gives me anxiety, like picking up the phone and having to be like, can I have a better deal, Like just get on the chat function? But it can be a keyboard warrior in that way.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, it's so much better.
Speaker 4: I've got two more. This one's from Renee. Renee says money win. I worked three out of four days from home last week, which meant no using petrol, and I saved forty five dollars worth of pucking. And I also didn't spend any money on coffees or juices that I will usually purchase while I'm at work.
Speaker 5: How could's that? That's probably I don't know, one hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's a lot of money. A lot of money because like what's your coffee cost a day? Like six bucks or something? To school stim, I know the school.
Speaker 5: Stick, Like you know, three or four a day?
Speaker 4: You serious?
Speaker 5: I really have yet three or four a day? It depends what week we are in the page cycle.
Speaker 4: You go down to the cafe three or four times a day?
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometimes just to have a chat. But then I'll also get a coffee for.
Speaker 1: Do you know.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to tell you. They're scared we have free coffee in the office.
Speaker 5: Instant coffee, babe, I'm not having instant coffee.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to make that.
Speaker 4: I will teach you how to make that, okay. But also you can have like one a day. I'm not trying to budget for you.
Speaker 5: But like three or four that is probably where all my money goes. Yeah, exactly, that would be twenty four times five. Oh, I just truly calculated it now.
Speaker 4: So three or four do you want to go based on three or based on we're going to go three. And you said that was six bucks each. You're spending eighteen dollars a day, and if you come to work every single day, that's ninety dollars a week, not even including your weekend coffee. Your work coffees are costing that. You know, let's be conservative, you get four weeks leave a year. Obviously, we're not kept factoring in those coffees. So instead of doing fifty what fifty two weeks in year, forty eight weeks in a year, four thousand, three hundred and twenty dollars back, you're spending on coffee at work. Wow, honestly at work.
Speaker 5: To be honest, I probably now you're going to say you didn't do it. No, No, I was going to say, I may maybe even drink more on the weekend.
Speaker 4: You like, even more on the weekend. That was just like corporate coffees exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm very, very modest when I'm in the office, but when it's the weekend, I'm having five or six.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, how do we function if you don't have coffee?
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't really hit me that much.
Speaker 4: I'm like a two coffee. Wonder Like, if I've had two coffees, I'm picking off the walls and usually I am already. But like, if you offer me another coffee, I have to be like no, because I'll start shaking.
Speaker 5: Oh you're one of those people that kind of tea after two PM or something.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I can have tea. I can have so many tea's, but I definitely can't have more coffees.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, gotcha, gotcha coffee.
Speaker 4: Inside Tira massue. Different story though, of course, Yeah, of course that's very different. All right, I have one more money win to share with you. This one is from Amy and you know what, fifty six people liked this money in. Oh it's a bit long, so sit down. So she says, money in used what was in the pantry, and our grocery shop only cost us seventy five dollars last week, half the normal budget, including all the fun things we bought because it was a small shop. She says, Also, I want to share not my money in, but I also hear pressure to friend's husband into creating a savings account this weekend. He has tens of thousands of dollars just sitting in his transaction account. He moved pretty quick once I told him how much interest we were making with the same bank. I won't hear pressure my friends into drinking or taking drugs, but you best believe I will be peer pressuring them into a better financial situation.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a very good friend.
Speaker 4: What a queen. I love queen.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's me on the weekends. Like me offline, I'm always like, what are you doing with that money? Where you're gonna where you're gonna put him? How do I help you? Do you want to do a budget together? Do you want to hang out and sit down and do a budget? And you're like, do you really want to do that?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's true. If anyone listening, if you're wondering what V's like off Mike, it is exactly the same.
Speaker 4: About budgeting.
Speaker 5: She is exactly the same. And sometimes I might be like, let's go watch a movie, but maybe you instead want the budget. Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 4: Only financial movie is Please Street financial documentary, So financial documentary?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: All right, all right, right, let's move on because I have heard that there's a banana involved in your broke tips and I just cannot work out how or why? So could you please elaborate, my friend, what if you got this week?
Speaker 5: Of course this would have looked so funny because our producer kindly printed this off for me today. She definitely didn't print all of the doodles all over that piece of paper.
Speaker 4: You've absolutely ruined it.
Speaker 2: For everyone listening. I don't know. Once I have a pen in hand, I can't help myself, but I must.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had to take it off you a couple of weeks ago because you had a permanent markroo and you were drawing on the table.
Speaker 5: But also, when you say doodles, it's not doodles. It's the old school version of a doodle, which is just literally drawing silly things.
Speaker 4: Went there except oh, okay, maybe literally just.
Speaker 5: Me ilsing him. There's not a single doodle on this paper.
Speaker 4: There are That whole paper is coveting doodles.
Speaker 2: Sorry, moving along, Moving along.
Speaker 5: Okay, So v my broke tips for this week, I as always have two from the community and one from my self. I will start with Cat. Cat sent me a broke tip. She said, if you download Woolys app and go to the half price section and you only eat what is half priced, that week, you'll save a lot of money.
Speaker 4: Wait, so you're saying there's a whole section, whole sections so I don't have to like flick through catalogs or like go through the aisles. If the supermarket work out what's half rice? The app tell you exactly. She's a genius. Thanks for that cat.
Speaker 5: Yes, isn't it? And to extend on that, she says that she works at Woolies only on a Sunday morning stay at her mum life so that she can keep her employee discounts, which is a great idea I guess doesn't maybe work for the general population, but also Sunday right at Sunday rates. She also says Woolies is fifteen dollars unlimited delivery a month. It costs about that much to drive to and from there every week because she lives about ten kilometers from a supermarket on the Sunshine Coast.
Speaker 4: Well, if it's fifteen bucks unlimited for a month, how many times do you go to the supermarket each month?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, true?
Speaker 5: Maybe like me, maybe two or three times a month. But I think I feel like a lot of people would go more often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like even if you're going two or three times, like if you do public transport, what's a mikey these days? Like five bucks? Yeah, so that already covers your three trips. True, like car car insurance, petrol is so expensive fifteen bucks. And also what if you can just if it's unlimited, you could just jump online and be like I actually do want to top up with bread and milk and just the basics to come on Friday, and like it's not gonna cost you any more than what the bread and milk is gonna be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 4: A bit of a money wins.
Speaker 5: It is a great idea. I like that turn out and if someone packs it for you and delivers to your do you don't have to do that thing where you're carrying like seven bags of growthery.
Speaker 4: That's what I do because you best believe I'm doing two trips. I'm not gone back. Sometimes I just leave stuff in my car for like an extended period of time because I'm like, well, I guess it lives there now.
Speaker 5: Me too, if it's not a perishable lives there now. It's gonna stay in my car until all of eternity.
Speaker 4: Its additional storage for my house.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a ship exactly. Back of the car is a shd All right, what else have you got for me? Okay, so this one's from Caitlin. He sent me a video of a basically, it's a frugal man who peels bananas before weighing them to say money.
Speaker 4: No, he doesn't.
Speaker 5: I think it's so clever.
Speaker 4: What you think that's clever?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like if our producer said it's probably not legal, which fair enough.
Speaker 4: Sure, I don't think it's legal either, But like, also there's stingy. Then there's like real stingchy. It's like have you seen that frugal show, think it's on Netflix where that woman cooks her lazonia in the dishwasher.
Speaker 5: Oh, I've seen this in like salmon in foil in the dish washer. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And also there was that guy. I don't know. If it's involving money, I've watched it. If it's on Netflix. If it has anything to do with money, I've watched it. That guy. They have a spa out the back, but to justify the cost of the spa, they don't bath or shower. They just go in the spa and they also do all their washing in there.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, I can see you make a tea in there?
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely not. I can't. I can't. Then there was like some dude who had heaps of money but lived in a house with absolutely no furniture, because he's like, why waste money on furniture when I can sit on the floor, And I'm like, it's a good point.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: This is unrelated and it's definitely not a money win. But the other day I couldn't be bothered going downstairs to make a tea, so I got my bottle of water, cold bottle of water, put it in a cup, and I used coffee cup and had a tea bag that was just sitting room and heated it by the radiant heat.
Speaker 4: Bad you do that the second you get to work though, you're like, four coffee is a day?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, bro I decided, and all this energy comes over me and I can go downstairs and get a coffee. Those are our broke tips from our community in my community.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 5: And actually I don't know if this is legal, but if you take the stem.
Speaker 4: Off broccoli, this is legal. I shouldn't.
Speaker 5: I shouldn't. Perhaps I should not be saying it if. I don't know, but if you take the stem off broccoli, that could be cheaper.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: If it's bag, is that you're broke tea not allowed? I don't know. It's not that's not yours. That's just like off of chickens broke tip, you know what. I just feel like the stem is the best bit, so I get rid of it. Oh yeah, that makes sense in stir fries and stuff. I really like it. That's because I'm a bit weird. I cut it up and eat it while I'm cooking. Oh okay, I might try that. As I said, I'm a bit weird, but not weird. I want to know what's your broke tip?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, so my broke tip for this week. I guess it's like, you know, it's a little bit of work, but if.
Speaker 2: You have the time.
Speaker 4: Bit of work, if you have the energy is the woman who made tea in her bedroom with an old tea bag exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: It's it's slightly less work than that. But I would say for myself personally, if I'm paying for a lot of things in a particular month or whatever, your pay cycle is, fortnightly whatever, If I know, if I predict that I'm going to run out of money quickly, and i have a few bills coming up, and I'm feeling super stressed out spending what I.
Speaker 4: Used to time at the cafe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly what I used to do is I would just not pay the bills and then have people chasing me and feel extremely anxious.
Speaker 4: And terrible idea.
Speaker 5: It's a really bad idea. But honestly, what I have noticed in my adult life, and that's from twenty eight onward. If you call up places, let's say Linked for example, I always I'm always paying for tolls, you'll gas and electricity, if you have payments going on, I used to use hum anything like that. If you call them up, explain a situation. You can even do it on that little chatbot thing. As you were saying before, you will be able to either have an extension on a due date, or you'll be able to pay things off in smaller amounts.
Speaker 4: Just so good.
Speaker 5: Just try and put in the time set aside some time. If you're stressed about money, if you're stressed about bills that are coming out, about it, talk about it, because people, I'm sure companies would way rather you say I'm going to pay on this date or maybe than just like literally ghost and then they have to chase you.
Speaker 4: You know of them have hardship policies as well. Yes, so you reach out and be like, hey, I'm going through a bit of a rough patch. Often they'll be like, oh, Beck, we totally.
Speaker 5: Get it, exactly, here's some relief exactly. And they don't make you feel silly about it. You should not feel embarrassed about it. It's all good. Just consider that if you're going through a tough time and you have a lot of bills coming.
Speaker 4: I love it. So smart and a good reminder, especially right now now. Yes, all right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about what to prioritize when returning from maternity leave and the icky question of what do you do when your housemate lets their friends sleep in your bed when you're not there. Don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone. Let's have a listen to our money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas both big and small to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma. Okay, a dilemma.
Speaker 6: I'm set to return back to work after my unpaid maternity leave next month. However, I was severely underpaid and only took that role because I was desperate.
Speaker 4: At the time. But all so, I simply just don't want to leave my son.
Speaker 6: I have been researching and wanting to start my own business, which will cost me thirty five thousand dollars. To start. This business is something I am passionate about, but will also allow me to stay at home with my son. I have a twenty five thousand dollar car loan which I pay five hundred dollars a month for, and I also only have forty thousand dollars in savings. My partner and I are also looking to buy a place.
Speaker 4: In the next two months with our money. But what do I do with money? Do I do with mine?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think mine all right?
Speaker 1: Back?
Speaker 4: What did you do when you returned from mattleeth.
Speaker 5: What it did was I forgot that I had a baby.
Speaker 2: When I was listening to this.
Speaker 5: I was seeing you write things down, and I was really trying to think of something because I obviously this is very unrelatable to me. I'm so sorry. My advice is be kind to yourself and haven't I stay.
Speaker 4: And you lets it be thy fruit, the fruits. I love that I did write a few notes. I think this is such a sticky situation that a lot of new parents find themselves in.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Lots of people go on matt leave with every intention of returning, but don't know what it's like having a baby, and then once they do have a baby, they're like, I don't want to leave, like this is great, or I'm really enjoying my time off, or I want more. What I'm hearing from the start is I think there's two parts to this. Right, So you don't want to return to work, but you were very clear that you were severely underpaid in your current job. So it's quite clear that you don't feel respected, I would say, in that role and don't want to return to that. Whether you start a business or not, I think is a different conversation. But what you're saying. Let's pretend you didn't say that you want to start a business. What you're saying is these people don't respect you, they're underpaying you, and if you return to work, you probably need a new job. So that's all well and good. I would be having a pragmatic think about, Okay, well, if I don't return to that particular job, what are my options? Obviously a business is one of them. I think businesses are fantastic, as somebody who owns one. I adore the freedom, but it's also not that free.
Speaker 2: Right, so maybe it's a bit risky.
Speaker 4: Especially it could be really risky. It depends what it is. I always get, Beck, I get so nervous when people say, I know my business startup costs are going to be thirty five thousand dollars, Like I don't have nearly enough context. Like I don't know if you've gone and you know, created this big, beautiful spreadsheet and actually fully comprehend what it's going to cost, right, or has some multi level marketing company come along and said, hey, Beck, you can get started for thirty five grand I don't know if this is a good idea or not. Yeah, I can't tell you if starting a business is I don't even know what it is. What I can tell you is it's a lot more work than you think it is. And even if it enables you to be home with your son, that does not necessarily mean that you're home present with your son, true, and it could weigh a lot heavier on you. It's something that I think about a lot because I would love to start a family soon. But I also know that something's going to have to give for me to be a present parent rather than just one that's not there. And you know, I look at my friends, who you know, just have salary and wage journing jobs, and a few of them have returned part time, and I'm like, how cool would it be? And this is me not complaining. I adore the situation I'm in. How cool would it be to have a baby at home, go to work for my part time hours, come home and have not one thing to worry about. Yes, you don't have to worry about payroll, you don't have to worry about tax. You're not doing bass till all hours of the night. You're not you know, doing your bookkeeping or being stressed about paying creditors. Like there's so much benefit being a salary and wage earning employee that I just look at it and go, I get it. But we need to see both sides of the coin. I know being present for your son makes sense, but that the crux of it. What I'm hearing is you need to make an income. Yeah, so that outcome great, How are you going to do that in a way where you're still as present as you want to be Because being home is one thing, but being a present parent is another. And I think that those things need to come into consideration when thinking about having a family and thinking about, you know, what your post maternity leave life looks like, because right now I'm assuming these are all assumptions. Back, Yeah, you said you're on unpaid maternity leave. You don't have any responsibilities. Your responsibility is, you know, bringing up your child. They've got one hundred percent of your undivided attention. Starting a business is hard. The first five years are hard. Like this stuff is not easy, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I just want a balanced argument of Hey, is that actually the right decision for right now? I know lots of people who have started business as while on matt leave. Or with new babies, and they've been so successful and like it's the best decision they've ever made. But I think that there is a lot of benefit in stepping back and going like, all right, well, if you want to out of business, that's fantastic, But like, what are your motivations to do so? Because as I said before, this is personal opinion, there's a difference between being present and being present.
Speaker 2: Yes, that makes sense, So it completely makes sense.
Speaker 4: That would be my I guess take Obviously you've got a car loan and you've got some savings. I'd be looking at options to fund the business. Say you go down that route and you need to, you know, do the startup costs. There are a lot of costs that you can't get away with, like you have to pay immediately. Yeah, but what's this thirty five thousand dollars made up of? Like can you break it down? Like have you looked at other quotes? Let's say you've got a quote for marketing and branding and it was like sixteen thousand dollars, Like have you gotten a few other quotes? Is that actually the best use of your money? You know? What parts of this could you do yourself? Because they think that getting a business off the ground is one thing, and then rebranding it so it thrives is another. So I just think, how can we strip that thirty five thousand dollars back to the absolute bare minimum so that you can kind of go through that viability period and go, am I actually going to do this? Is this actually going to work for the least amount of money? And then go from there. The other thing, if you're saying we're planning on buying a house in a couple of weeks, I can almost guarantee that if you're working with a broker, that forty thousand dollars that you have in savings right now has been taken into consideration as an asset, and if you disposed of it, it would change how much the bank wants to lend you. So just be really careful and talk to a broker before you make a decision. I know a couple at Zella Money. Yes, you might know a couple. They're pretty good. Their boss is really nice.
Speaker 5: Fair ha, what's the boss's name again?
Speaker 4: Oh, don't even worry about it. It's not important, all right, Let's move on to the spicy conversation. Is it spicy.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's spicy or just gives me the I think it might be because I've got a story and maybe you've probably got a story.
Speaker 4: That's oh my gosh, I had the exact same story and it's this is I guess why it gives me the hebgb's that makes me goes, oh, don't do that.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 5: I'm ready, I'm so ready.
Speaker 4: All right here it is. This is what slid into our DMS this week. Hey, ladies could really use some advice. I've been traveling overseas for two months. Whilst I was away, I continued to pay my rent and bills towards the house. I recently got home to find out that my two housemates essentially let their friends crash at our place when I was away. Whilst they didn't quote move in, they were sleeping at our place in my bedroom at a minimum of three times a week, use the hot water, use the electricity, and basically were me. I'm so annoyed by this. I lowkey feel that this person should have been paying my rent if they wanted to use my room, or even just some of the bills if they were sleeping in my bed multiple times a week. My housemates naively think that they did nothing wrong and that it's okay because they washed my sheets and cleaned my room, So what's the big deal. They say that the person was hanging out on the weekend and it got late, so they just crashed there a few times. Do you think I have a right to ask for some rent or bill money back? Or do I just drop it? What do you think I should do?
Speaker 5: No, that's not okay. So yeah, it's very much. You know, I think even if you're the chillest, chilliest, chillest person in the world, you don't mind if people go into your room. It's still a little bit weird when someone that you don't know is sleep in your bed.
Speaker 4: Stranger.
Speaker 5: Maybe they're friends, I get it, but like, ask first, because.
Speaker 4: I reckon if they were friends, Beck, the friend would have met. Like if I was going to your house to hang out with your housemates and you were traveling and they were like, oh, just stay, I'd message you and be like hey, Beck, like is it all right if I sleep in your room? And you'd be like, yeah, that's fine because I know you. Whatever. But it's such a different story when you don't know them. I had you said before that you've had this happen in so of eye, When did it happen to you?
Speaker 5: Okay, so it didn't happen to me personally, and everyone listening you.
Speaker 4: Do it to somebody else.
Speaker 2: I would never.
Speaker 5: But there was one person who I used to live with who let their parents their mom stay in a room that was vacant because our other housemate was like traveling but still was still her room.
Speaker 4: All their stuff was like in the stuff.
Speaker 5: Was in there. They didn't sleeping in there. I think even something broken there at some point. And then when that housemate got back, the person who let their parents day said, oh, I just thought you were more chill than that, Like I thought you'd be more like chill and like cool, and like didn't at all say I'm so sorry, like I probably should have fast or I'm so sorry this I overstepped the boundary. It was like, you are weird for not wanting this, and it was so yes, oh my god. I had no one ever listens to this, because they will know exactly who they are.
Speaker 4: That happened to me too. The very first time I moved out of home, I lived in a share house with my at the time partner and two other housemates. They had the downstairs bedrooms. We had an upstairs bedroom that we shared, and at the time, because it was like first time moving out, I would go home on the weekends, as would my partner, because I still worked weekends like in retail and in hospitality back down the peninsula, right So on a like Friday avot, I'd head back down and sometimes I wouldn't even come back, depending on when UNI was until like a Monday night or something. So I'd just like spend time with my parents. And I had no idea this had been going on for like six months. My housemate downstairs had decided, well, it's a free room over the weekend, she'd just let her friends stay. No when they went out on like a Saturday night or a Friday night, because I wasn't there, no, and like I hadn't noticed. I feel like some things were there. But you know when you live with a partner, like maybe he moved to the pillows, like you just don't think about it twice, Like it's not like it was my own room where if I put something down, it shouldn't have moved, Like you know if I had a tea cup beside the bed, maybe I my partner put in a dishwasher or vice versa. Maybe the tea cup beside the bed was from my partner, didn't think it turns out no housemate, which I've told you about. Ah, this one Steeler. Yep, she stole my underweir and also shout out to her. She's the one that emptied my freezer for me when I was eating it. Yeah, so yeah, she was a delight to live with. Whoever lives with her now, best of luck. Maybe you'ld dever Bee in your favor. But yeah, it was a very awkward experience because they didn't even wash the sheets back. They would just like crash in my bed when they came home at three am and obviously leave the next morning, like straighten up the sheets and call it.
Speaker 5: A own file.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's sorry, not okay.
Speaker 4: I feel like it was an invasion of my privacy. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: It just feels weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels weird. All my stuff's in there, Like if you open my bedside drawer, you might find my stash of sour lullies, you know, like I.
Speaker 5: Just you will find much worse in my room. Yeah, you'll find a vape, find many many vapes.
Speaker 4: But it's one of those things that you just like, I don't feel that comfortable with sure people coming in my space, especially when it's unplanned, because like I don't know about you, Beck. If you were coming to stay at my house and you were going to like sleep in my bed because I wasn't there, I'd like change the sheets for you. I would like, you know, probably tidy it up a bit, like move some stuff around the beds I take. Do you know what I mean? Make me me more comfortable that you're coming into my space?
Speaker 2: Totally a bit weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it feels weird, But the real question is it's weird or not. Basically, your feelings are valid.
Speaker 4: This is very I don't that your housemate's gas like exactly right. So the real question was do you think I have a right to ask for some rent or build money back or do I just drop it back?
Speaker 5: You have every right, But would I try to do that? I wouldn't. I guess I would be like I already feel like an outsider, unless you're you're thinking of leaving anyway because of what's happened. If you are then like, sure, maybe give it a go. But if you're not and your plan on staying there, it's already kind of like ah, these people, these two people against me, they don't think they did the wrong thing. Yeah, now I'm going to also be asking for rent money in electricity and bill or whatever.
Speaker 4: So it's going to become a fight because that person doesn't maybe hasn't even budgeted for that either. You're asking for money that they haven't allocated. It's just a bit of a mess from my perspectively. But does that mean you drop it? No? No, No, I would be going and setting some very clear boundaries that your room is not a shared space and that it is yours. If you want to be real dramatic, you who put a lock on real room.
Speaker 5: Do it because it's so it's.
Speaker 4: A violation of your it's a violation.
Speaker 5: And now you're in this uncomfortable situation where you have to tell people very very basic, normal things. It's like being like, I don't know, I can't think of a single thing that would like why would you even have to have this conversation?
Speaker 4: But you do, like it's not their space to share, that's not a shared space in the house, Like, if you're away for the weekend, Beck, I can't just turn up to your house because it's convenient to sleep there without your permission and just go in, Like, why would that be in that circumstance. From my perspective, it's exactly the same, Like that is my personal space that I own and I pay for. You can't just walk in there willing Nelly. Same with your house. I can't just walk into your house. What makes you think that you can walk into my room in the same way when you're a housemate.
Speaker 2: You're not my partner.
Speaker 4: Weird, weird, weird, weird weird.
Speaker 5: But not to say that you don't deserve that money, because you do and you probably are owed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did ask the community, what do they say? We said, would you be upset if you were this person? Eighty eight percent said yeah, I'd be very angry and very disappointed. Twelve percent of you can't relate, you said, wouldn't bother me that much?
Speaker 2: A couple of chillis must be nice.
Speaker 4: The next question we asked was do you think this person has the right to ask for some money back? Seventy nine percent of people said yes, Okay, We said If yes, who do you think should be paying them back? Sixty five percent of you said the housemates. Yeah, I'm not a friend because the friend.
Speaker 5: I don't know what if the friend was told yeah, it's fine exactly, Beck said it was fine, and then they're fine with that, Yeah exactly, I would say it's notood on them. Person staying had no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We then also asked you, what are your two cents? We need to know because Beck and I were a bit opinionated on this, so let's hopefully balance it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Someone said inconsiderate, selfish.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, I would never use this.
Speaker 4: On Someone said these people are not your friends. See if you can move out. Someone said, more than the money, it tells us that they don't respect your space or your privacy. Yeah, absolutely, rank. Could they let somebody else sleep in your bed with like fifteen exclamation points?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 4: Someone says, honestly, it's the fact they used your room. I'd feel like my personal space had been invaded. Someone said it's not cool, but is it worth having a rocky housemate relationship when you ask for money? Yes, which I think is a very valid point. I think that's where probably we are more so. Yeah, a lot of people, you know, there's heaps of comments. Basically, they're like, they absolutely should have asked, they should have you know, gone above and beyond. There were lots of people saying, look, I would be absolutely ropable, but i'd be ropable at my housemate's not the person that stayed over. And yes, someone said, well it was three nights a week or was it a casual sleepover. It's a very fine line. I still think it's a bit ick. But yes, I don't know about you, but I do feel a lot better about a once off situation. Yeah, three nights a week fine, But like, oh, Beck, I'm so sorry when you're away. Jess, who's now sick, she stayed over because she drunk a bit too much to drive and I just said, look, it's a bit late, but crash in Beck's beds. She won't mind. I've cleaned all your sheets, I've done everything. I hope that's okay to me. That's a different situation because that's about personal safety than I don't know, I feel like the intension behind it. I feel three nights a week for the entire time you're away was on purpose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very much like, hey, this room's free now. It is literally anyone's you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Whereas like, oh, hey, you know, someone had a bit too much to drink. I told them to sleep in your because it was just not okay for them to go home. Like yeah, that's actually really responsible And yeah, I don't know, I feel like intention comes into it.
Speaker 5: All totally, totally, I would agree with that. All right, Well, I think that's all we have time. Yeah, that's a good place to leave it. But best of luck and keep us posted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to post a picture of my bedside draw on Instagram today actually to show you that I do, in fact have a draw full of sour lollies. I wasn't joking, that wasn't innuendo. So head over to my Instagram and I will show you that. But otherwise, have the best weekend and we'll see you one Monday for a money diary.
Speaker 5: Bye, guys.
Speaker 7: The advice sheared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 4: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 7: Product, read the PDS, TMD and obtain inappropriate financial.
Speaker 4: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 7: Victoria, Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sherper P, T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight afs L four five one two eight nine