Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast Christian O'Connell's Show.
Speaker 2: We're just about to open up the lines for this week's three Topic Tuesday, where you have many ways to share your stories on the show and you could be winning one thousand dollars all all the week.
Speaker 1: This morning on the show then or nine four one four one four three.
Speaker 2: Tell me in one story how strict your parents were for me? Was?
Speaker 1: I was never.
Speaker 2: Allowed to own a denim jacket until I was sixteen. It was like they thought, if he gets one before that, we're going to lose him to the denim gangs home in the street looking for confused teenagers like our boy Christians.
Speaker 1: And of course, well, you know, it kind of puts you off it. Then you get sixteen and you feel like, I want that denim jacket anymore. What was it for you? Jack? In one story? How strict were your parents were?
Speaker 3: My mum was so strict about the M fifteen rating on movies that I wasn't allowed to watch any ms before the age of fifteen. I went to the city one time as a fourteen year old with a bunch of friends, new friends at high school and we bought tickets to Romeo Must Dive.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I remember that movie.
Speaker 3: And then I got cold feet. As we were going into the cinema. I was like, my mum will not like this, and I said I was watching it, and I went home tickets already more feeling sick.
Speaker 1: I'm not in them. I've got a cold. I can't sit here enjoying Romeo Musky is that rapper in that? To remember who was in that? Romeo Stye, I've still never seen it, so I can't wow. Wow, all right, linees open.
Speaker 2: Then tell us in one story, just one story, how strict were your parents? On nine four one four one o four three? And then this is the news today, Paul. Last night on stage on this big global tour that she's on at the moment, Olivia Rodrigo fell through the stage. Literally there was a manhole or trap door open for some reason. She fell through it.
Speaker 1: You can actually hear that thud. Poor thing.
Speaker 2: She is okay in my mind. You can't see, but you can hear her. That's like you, No, she's on the stage. Welcome to Melbourne. Wast be looking at all this going. We need to check the stage of trap doors and King Charles Sweep all stages Charlie Boy for Republican trap doors.
Speaker 1: That's why he's bringing his own blood.
Speaker 2: He's ready for your Australia.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Sometimes it's just a hostage.
Speaker 2: That is a protopotized her way out of that.
Speaker 1: That is very good. That is total positivity Tuesday. There.
Speaker 2: The reason why we weren't while we're playing that out and telling about that is the Willking fuel stories of falling falling through ideally trap.
Speaker 1: Doors, any holes, any holes, man holes? What do you fall through?
Speaker 2: Any holes? Nine for one four one oh four three. Remember one thousand dollars is up for grabs for star caller of the show. Whenever we hear great story every week, we give it away straight away. Nine four one four one o four three. All right, So the first two tell us in one story how strict your parents were? And then what are you falling through? Any holes? Ideally a manhole, trapdoor, hatches.
Speaker 1: Look, Christian Connall Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell's show. I'm really looking forward to again your stories about both of these. First one, tell me one story how strict your parents were like this, Christian, my dad was so strict that my friends.
Speaker 1: Nicknamed him the warden. Warden's coming. Let's out.
Speaker 2: I need to search as romantosis mattress right now nine four four one oh four three. Tell us in one story how struct your parents were? And this one after Olivia Rodrigo was in Melbourne last night and fell through a hole in the stage. She is okay, but she did it fall through a hole in the stage, So we want to know what have you fallen through? Nine four one four one oh four three? What holes have you fallen through? Christian I had very strict Greek parents. My mother refused to let me get a bicycle in Brimary And High school. She told me they were way too dangerous. I'd be killed by a car, so I had to walk to a wrong school while Mace would just ride home. One day, I borrowed a mates bike after school to see what I was missing. Within five minutes, I was head to head with an oncoming car and it swerved.
Speaker 1: In the nicke of time.
Speaker 2: Maybe she was right, Michael Yanakis, I reckon that was your mum one hundred percent. Who was that mysterious bearded lady?
Speaker 1: It was Mamma Yanikis.
Speaker 4: I wasn't allowed to ride to school either, and so I was in year twelve.
Speaker 3: Didn't you tell us you you used to swim to school in the crate.
Speaker 4: One of those we swim in the creek during lunchtime. We had a craik run through the backroom.
Speaker 1: Jack and I used to swim to school. Some of the kids did it next break.
Speaker 4: I never said I swam to school. That is a ridiculous name.
Speaker 1: We went on a raft or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you did.
Speaker 1: Go back to the tape.
Speaker 4: Go back to the tape, you Christian.
Speaker 2: Growing up, my parents were devout Mormons and were very overprotective when it came to content. I consumed bracket ned Flanders, so when Christmas would roll around, I got the stock Standard And you remember.
Speaker 1: These thirty dollars thirty bucks.
Speaker 2: Sanity gift card from a relative represented a challenge for the ten year old me. I vividly remember attending Sanity with my parents and looking through all the CDs. I had an offer to buy one I could afford with my gift card. Finally I settled on Simple Plans album. I saw there was no explicit content Morning on the cover, and I thought perfect. I found the one However, being ten years old, I didn't quite understand what the name of the album was, hinting at still not getting any Upon handing the CD to my very protective parents, they took one look and gave me another CD instead, Wholesome Family, Tap Dancing Penguins, The Happy.
Speaker 1: Feast, No Simple Plan for You.
Speaker 2: I'm still not getting any No, and I love this one Christian.
Speaker 1: When I was fifteen, I was invited.
Speaker 2: To go to the movies with a new group of friends I made at summer camp. We're going to see a movie called The Inside Man with Russell Crowe. This is in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Now, I had a.
Speaker 2: Pretty long run time compared to most of the movies at the time, like Austin Powers An American Buyme. After begging my dad was allowed to go to the movie, but he would not extend my curfew by a single minute. Determined to go, I still went back to lead two thirds of the way through Tennis Day. I still don't know how Inside Man where Russell Crowe ends.
Speaker 1: We have to find out.
Speaker 2: Does anyone know how Inside Man with Russell Crowe from ninety nine?
Speaker 1: How does it end?
Speaker 2: Please let me know? Nine four one four one, four three. We have some brilliant stories and calls lined up next about in one story, how stript were your parents? And also what holes have you fallen through? We go to them next.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell's show, tell me in one story how strict were your parents?
Speaker 1: It's come from Pete Dixon. Christian.
Speaker 2: Mum caught me sipping a beer at a school formal, drove me home without saying a word.
Speaker 1: An hour later, I was in his sleep in bed.
Speaker 2: She pursted into my room and started reading Bible passages.
Speaker 1: To me for two hours.
Speaker 2: We pray for you. The Devil's come for him. We weren't allowed to watch neighbors. No reason given, Christian. My dad was so strict. I was not allowed to he to the house until I was seven teen years old, and although all through high school I had to sit out the back of the house and do my homework until my college hours.
Speaker 4: Shock, isn't that my Chris? Because his dad used to do that. Pat would never trust him with a house key.
Speaker 1: What do you think he was going to do?
Speaker 4: I have absolutely no idea.
Speaker 3: Probaly, he's safer inside the house that roaming around outside the house of waiting again, and it was like.
Speaker 4: He almost had to earn his trust to get just a housekeep.
Speaker 2: Christian, my parentcil so street. They didn't let me go to a green light disco to primary school. Remember crying for hours in great faith grade five that I couldn't go, and they still refused me to send me to something that was happening in the middle of the afternoon. And that is, of course a bewitching hour, isn't it the middle of the afternoon. It's not midnight, it's the middle of the afternoon, Mary Anne. Christian you're talking to there about falling through hrles in a just arsenal for Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Go, I missed my which meant one of the other brothers miss his, and he fell into the band Pip and landed on the eighty year old piano.
Speaker 1: This is why we need to search your stories of falling through holes on nine four one four one four three. Good morning, count him Ah, Hi Christian, good morning. I understand you're on the train.
Speaker 5: Yes I am, so. It's quite embarrassing. Anyway, I'll tell you my story, but yes, I fell through a toilet this is going back about.
Speaker 6: Forty years ago.
Speaker 1: He fell through a toilet.
Speaker 5: Yes, what have I My sister locked us out and I climbed through the toilet to get in. We had said these flats and the flats so I was going head first and then I thought I better turn myself around, and then to myself around, jumped on the toilet bowl and the whole bowl broke chat his premium leg. Oh my god, twenty one. I was in year nine at the time, so going to school and craptures every day. Yeah, but that was very, very funny. Oh he's funny now, not at the time.
Speaker 1: No, I know about you. Not full of lolls that count. And thank you very much the story, and thanks you colling in on the train a lot of problem. Thank you, Susan. Good morning, Hi Christian.
Speaker 7: My parents were so strict that when I went for my driver's LIGHTNSE and I passed, I wasn't allowed to drive the car until the day was satisfied that I had the skill. So my dad used to take me out in the car and he had his hand on the handbrake ready to pull it up. Every time Johny.
Speaker 1: Would make it worse.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yep, yep, yep, and he'd tell me what lane had been and I had to do this until he was satisfied that it was okay for me to drive, even maybe crones did.
Speaker 2: I could well, so despite you know, state elected examiners with an agreed test that is not easy to pass. In my mind, your dad's got a clipboard and it's.
Speaker 1: Like go again.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh. He had that. He his hands so tightly held onto that am brake and I was shaking. I was sweaty.
Speaker 1: You'd be more nervous.
Speaker 2: It actually more dangerous to be nervous driving like that. It's putting you in more risk.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but that was dad. That's how strict they were.
Speaker 2: Strict they were, Susan, thank you very much the story mate. Have a good day you too, Babe Cowen, and good morning.
Speaker 6: Good morning here, Christian.
Speaker 1: How are you. I'm good, thank you. On the show, so strict parents in one story tell us how straet they were.
Speaker 6: Definitely I had the strictest parents that. When I was little and I got invited to birthday parties, I actually went with a pre passed lunch, a water bottle, a vegimite sandwich and a piece of fruit. And they even went so far because I wasn't allowed to eat the food at the party. They even went so far to wrap up a gift that if the other parents had lollies, like a lolly hunt or anything like that, that they gave the parents the lollies that if I found lollies, I got extra changed.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is a lot.
Speaker 6: That is very strict. Needless to say, I didn't go to very many parties after a very long time. Oh so, and once I left home, I partied like there was no tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Two streets.
Speaker 6: I partied like. I partied like it was nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: And are those wild days over now? They're still on?
Speaker 6: Oh no, No, I'm fifty next year and I'm partying like there's no tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Really making up for lost time. I don't keep blaming the past.
Speaker 2: Seventy still playing hard. That great story, Thank you very much when he made us laugh. Thanks, go on and have a good day.
Speaker 7: No worries you too, babe.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell Show Podcast