Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is Beckside and with me is Victoria Devine.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode. Beck. I am very, very excited about this episode. So I'm gonna kick it off with a question, and it's gonna be for you, Beck. What's a lot of money to you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: That is a loaded one.
Speaker 1: It's not that loaded. It's not that loaded, Like there's no ulterior motives going on. But I want to know how much money is a lot of money?
Speaker 3: To you, it depends what time of the pay cycle you ask me. I think, for context, we get paid monthly. The first week of pay I reckon five hundreds a lot. Yeah, maybe the second last and the last week of pay of the pay cycle. Yeah, maybe, like thirty dollars is a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair. I find it so interesting that that's how you kind of framed it. You were like, oh my gosh, well it depends on the pay cycle, because it's interesting how you respond because everybody responds so differently to that. Like we're going to talk about it because we did ask the community or I I did go to the community and say, all right, I want to know what does that look like? But we're talking about this today because I think we just need to contextualize that everybody's experience is super different and that you know, to you, five hundred or thirty dollars could be a lot, and someone else might be like, oh, three hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money. And it's really interesting to just see things from other people's perspectives because when we can lean into being able to view other people's perspectives, we learn so much more. And this episode I feel like is really about also acknowledging privilege and the different experiences as wealth. Because even though you said, oh my gosh, thirty bucks like could be a lot of money, I feel like some people would look at that and be like, oh, that's not much money at all. And I think you need to step outside of that and go no, no, no. I'm not asking you whether you think that Bech's experience is valid or not. I'm asking you to acknowledge that. Wow, Like if Beck says thirty dollars and yours is five hundred, like, maybe just go wow, I am pretty lucky that that's my personal experience. This is the way that we want to talk about it. It's a judgment free zone as always, but I really want to be able to highlight people's different experiences and what that means and how that works. And today, Beck, we're going to talk about lifestyle creep and demystifying some of the unconscious or unhelpful ideas about how much you actually need to start investing and how much you need to start when it comes to savings, and about how much money you actually need to be good at money, because I think people have this really weird idea in their head that to be good at money you have to have heaps and heaps and heaps of it and buccaloes cash. So I did think that was the case actually to be fair, and it's not true, Beck, it's not true. Sure, no, no, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Tho.
Speaker 3: Al right, So I would say it is interesting. So thirty dollars is a lot of money to me. It kind of gets me thinking about like what you would think a lot of money is, even like in your childhood. So for example, for me, it was, you know, if I go to a friend's house and they had a silver frid.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, silver fridge is nicol of wealth. You know what takes it another level up? The water dispenser.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, not that, but yeah, that's lip like you must be rich for it.
Speaker 1: You are, Yeah, you're on another level.
Speaker 3: If you have a water dispenser, you must be doing well doing wealth. Must be nice. Other things that I thought made people rich growing.
Speaker 1: Up, Oh yeah, what is it?
Speaker 3: So I would say things like matching plates.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, set a dinner set, yes, place mats or place mats is big dog energy, big dog energy, Like we're not just eating on the couch or eating at the table. We're setting up for.
Speaker 3: Dinner, setting up for dinner. We've got You don't have maney in your house. You have dinner, yes exactly, that's when you know. And also reusable napkins. That's big dog andages, big dog energy. You don't just rip a bit of paper towel off.
Speaker 1: No, exactly, Okay.
Speaker 3: I would use literal toilet paper sometimes to wipe my face.
Speaker 1: Because I don't makes sense. It's seasy.
Speaker 3: It's the same material as a aptail, but a little bit cheaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: You'll not find a reusable napkin in my household. I don't know if you had this, but I didn't have any pocket money or anything like that. I mean my mum would, you know, give me money for the movies, and she would find a way to make it work. But no pocket money did you have? Was that just a like being really pervy? Was that a situation where it was like we couldn't afford it, or was that a situation where it was like, oh, my parents didn't believe in it? Because I think those are two different experiences. I think conveniently both Yeah, yeah, yeah, I fit is like it's like chicken all the egg. I think we probably couldn't really afford it because it was that's fair for children, so but also, you know, in the same time, it was maybe one of the things that we didn't just we just didn't do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair. We did have pocket money growing up, but I remember thinking it wasn't much, and like not at the time. Like now I look back and go, like, it really wasn't heaps. But that's not a negative thing because we had all our basic needs met and like what does a six year old or seven year old actually need to purchase? Like, probably not that much. And my dad was an accountant. So the reason we had pocket money, I do believe, was to teach us about money. So the amount of pocket money we got was fifty cents for every year that we were alive. So if I was six, I got three dollars. If I was twelve, I got six dollars, and that would hoever. I feel like that was clever, but like it was also like a graduation. On our birthday, I'd be like, I get another fifty cents, Like this is big dog energy. That's big d energy, And I think it's I think it's interesting looking back because I remember knowing that I got my six dollars or I got my you know whatever it was at that period of time. But then I saw friends who'd get like a clean twenty dollar bill and I'd be like, wow, that's wow good, Like that was insane to me. So it's interesting different experiences. But then also where you grow up really does give a bit of a deep dive into the types of like pocket money experiences, because our pocket money was actually for things we wanted to buy and we had to save up for them. And it was as though, you know, if we said, oh, mum, I really want XYZ, like we didn't just get it, we had to save up for it. Or I remember Dad always saying things like, well, if you save up for it, I will match you, Like if you can save for X, Y or Z, Like if I wanted a toy or something, he would say, look, you can have it, we can save for it, we can work it out, but I will match you. And that always like motivated me to save even more.
Speaker 3: It's just making a lot of sense. It's really I can't understand how you are the way you are.
Speaker 1: I didn't always listen to him. We argued about times tables. I would cry at the table. Still not very good at my times tables because of it. And also I did get myself in some pretty serious, significant personal debt when I was younger because I didn't listen to him. But you know, you live in your own So beck you mentioned something before about growing up in a family of four and the pocket money maybe was a bit of a stretch for the family. How did that make you feel when you saw other kids at school getting pocket money or similar things like that.
Speaker 3: To be honest, when I was in prime school, I didn't notice it very well. I guess we all just kind of, you know, I somehow still managed to have like twenty cents to buy a red Frog or a touch sharp and everything.
Speaker 1: I feel like kids, they're super resourceful. There will there is a way.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I kind of noticed it a little bit more in high school, maybe tried to keep up a little bit with sinos, the new trends, fashion trends, et cetera. And there's lunch orders.
Speaker 1: You know, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, going to the canteen, going to the canteen, get in.
Speaker 3: The lazagna move Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yes, the high school Designia was lit. I forgot about that. Actually, that was so good. And we had these things called dinosaur rolls, never ever in my that's because I think my school made them up. So is the sausage roll in a white bread roll, with cheese and sauce in the white bread roll, and then they wrap it in foil and they put it in the oven and like the whole thing like melts together and it's like a hot bread roll with a sausage roll with sauce and cheese. That sounds unyeah, right anyway, but those were like seven dollars, Like that's expensive. That's expensive. I feel like it was like looking back on it as well, maybe it wasn't seven dollars, but it felt expensive. So maybe it was like four dollars, but it felt like big dogging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, expensive energy. So it seems like our perceptions of the value of money are all relative and also highly subjective.
Speaker 1: Absolutely they are.
Speaker 3: So you asked our community what they thought a lot of money was. What did they say?
Speaker 1: I did? I jumped on Instagram and I just did like this piece to camera and I was say, all right, guys, I need to know. I want to know to you how much is a lot of money. I don't want to give you any context, like we're not going to talk about it, and I'll read out some of the answers because they actually were really diverse, and it gave me such an insight just into people's mentalities. And that's why I said before I really loved that. You were like, oh, well, it depends on the pace cycle. Because so many people gave context. So someone said a lot of money looked like not worrying about the color of the plate at sushi train o.
Speaker 3: Amen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone said over two hundred dollars. Someone else said to be able to buy something without checking my bank account relatable. Someone said one hundred thousand dollars. Another person said a million dollars. Wow. Someone then said millions in order to live comfortably for the rest of my life and set my kids up. I feel like that's a bit more big picture. Then someone said, my friends thought paying one hundred and fifty dollars for a small lamp was a lot, and I actually thought that was pretty cheap. No, they yeah, but like that's her experiences, Like maybe she'd been looking at five hundred dollar lamps and then she was like, oh, this one. This one's a good deal, really knows. Someone said ten thousand dollars New Zealand money and that if I lost more than that, I'd be upset less than that and I'd just be annoyed. And I was like, what in the wealth?
Speaker 3: Like, what in the wealth?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Someone said, I think a lot of money is a salary of one hundred and twenty thousand dollars, but maybe, like a once off, a lot of money is one thousand dollars, and I was like, yeah, okay, interesting context. Someone else said, in terms of cost, I guess five hundred dollars, but in terms of wealth a million plus. Someone then said, oh, anything over five hundred thousand dollars, which to them is a decent house deposit, feels comfortable. And I was like, again, what in the wealth. And then someone said anything over one hundred dollars is a lot for me to lose from my bank account, and I was like, okay, So, Beck, with all of that in mind, after I've read them all out and given you said before five hundred dollars at the start of the pay cycle and thirty dollars at the end, how does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What are you thinking right now.
Speaker 3: I didn't notice that thirty dollars wasn't on the list.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 3: So again, it's personal.
Speaker 1: It's highly personal. Personal finance is just that it is personal. It is and we need to respect that.
Speaker 3: Yes, and well, it actually was very comforting because I did relate to being able to buy something without checking my bank account. I don't even know the last time I bought something about having to check my bank account first. So it did make me feel comforted in some ways. In other ways, you know, for example, let's say I would be finally ten.
Speaker 1: K that was unrelatable. I would be so anxious that ruin me, but not relatable to you or I maybe other listeners that are listening to the pod are like, oh yeah, I feel exactly the same. And you know what, that's actually okay. So you didn't have any level of judgment over other people's circumstances. Absolutely absolutely In saying that, let's jump to a really quick break and then we get back, we can talk even more about this, and I really want to deep dive into lifestyle creep. Well, let's do it.
Speaker 3: I was excited. OKAYV we are back and we are talking about how much money is a lot of money.
Speaker 1: And it turns out there's not actually an answer to that. It's really dependent. So that was kind of like what do they call that? Clickbait click creak article titles but podcast titles, So we don't actually have an answer to the quarry everyone, sorry not So I want to know it, Beck, what did you do with your first full paycheck? You mentioned pay before, and it's just making me think, So I really want to know what did you do it? Do you remember?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I can't think. Yeah, so I would say, and this is probably a little embarrassing. The first thing I did when I got my first full, full time paycheck was fill up my petrol tank all the way.
Speaker 1: All the way, all the way. I feel so boogie.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I've got this conversation in the community before, and there are so many people in our community that are like, nap, I've never done it. Like every time I go to the petrol station, I will only put like twenty dollars in or thirty dollars in or whatever it is, yeah, or can relate yeah, like, and I totally get that, but I also think it's a good way of budgeting. Like a lot of people will be like, oh, well, actually, my petrol budget each and every single week is thirty dollars. So I just even though it's more frequent, I still just go to the petrol station every week and put that thirty dollars in because it just makes me feel comfortable and confident and I know I've got petrol. But it like doesn't ever blow the budget. But it is really boogie, especially right now, to be filling your tank all the way. Yeah, that's a bit of a splurge. So would you say that with your first paycheck you did a little bit of a splurge activity.
Speaker 3: I think I did. But also I'm trying to remember when I got my first full time paycheck. I was probably eighteen, so it was like five cents an hour or something something related. Back in the day. I remember filling my petro tank up all the way. I also remember buying just like little items that I couldn't really afford before, Like I did a whole grocery shop instead of just bread and some comp and hear the essentials, I thought, oh I feel it of salmon, that's all?
Speaker 1: Oh good? Did it go off in your fridge or did you eat it? I feel like I ate it.
Speaker 3: I feel like I was very because it was it was, you know, one hundred thousand years ago, but yeah, it was very It still is very, very expensive. I think that's one thing that's never decreased or increased over time, so it's a consistent food.
Speaker 1: Also good food. Great choices there, Petrol and salmon.
Speaker 3: The two things I bought.
Speaker 1: You mentioned before that you went and bought a whole heap of little things that you maybe couldn't have afforded before. And I guess so that's on the flip side of it. And we mentioned it at the start of this episode that it really plays into lifestyle creep, and lifestyle creep is this concept that over time your lifestyle just becomes more expensive. So if you're in UNI, you probably have a cheaper lifestyle. And we say it all the time, right, Like, I don't know, We've had conversations like this offline where I'll be like, oh my gosh, remember at UNI, we used to be able to, like, you know, make fifty bucks last like literally an entire week, and I still went out most days, Like somehow I still manage to go out with my friends, go out for lunch, do this do that, like, and now brunch for my girlfriend and I will be fifty bucks, and like, oh that's me done for the week. Like I don't have another fifty bucks. So I think it's interesting to see that you said something like, oh, yeah, with my first paycheck, I bought things I couldn't afford before. What do you think about lifestyle creep? Do you think your lifestyle today is more expensive than it was, say, ten years ago.
Speaker 3: I think so. And I think that's the funny thing. A good friend of mine once said, this is a direct quote from her Mo money Mo problems, So you kind of it's.
Speaker 1: Your friend a wrapper. Are you trying to tell me you've got famous friends? I have famous friends. Yeah?
Speaker 3: Cool. But I really do think it's that thing that the more money you make, the more money you spend. So I think that my lifestyle now, the amount of money I spend now is way more than what I used to spend when I wasn't making as much. Not that I'm making twenty billion dollars today, but I kind of always just spend a little bit more if I have a little bit more, you know.
Speaker 1: And this kind of plays into this concept that I think a lot of people just I don't know they really lean into because they go, oh, I don't have a big salary, therefore it's not worth it. It's not worth saving, it's not worth investing. Like what's the point? Like I don't even earn that much. But history tells me that it's not actually those people who earn the most money. And I talked about this in my first book. If you've read my book, you know exactly what I'm talking about. But I had two different couples, and I inherited both of them as clients, so they weren't my clients their entire lives, which makes sense because I'm in my thirties and both of them would now be in their late seventies, so it wasn't their financial advisor the whole time. But I had this one couple who he worked as a maintenance man and maybe earned seventy grand a year for his entire career, maybe it went up a little bit towards the end of his career, and they had three kids, and his wife never worked. She stayed at home and looked after the kids because that obviously made sense for them, And he retired with so much money because he had been saving and investing that whole time and was really good at budgeting and really good at making things work. And now they have this lifestyle where they have a passive income of about one hundred and thirty one hundred and forty thousand dollars from memory coming in each and every single year, which is more than they've ever had before. And because he was so good at saving and investing, like they don't have any big expenses, so they don't have a mortgage anymore, Like they're all good to go. But wow, in comparison, I had this client or these two clients who were really really well. They had a combined income of half a million dollars each year, like lots of kids, still three kids, all kids are going to private schools. They have you know, a car loan each. They had a loan for a boat. They had multiple properties that were not paid off because they were just paying the interest on the properties because like, with an income that big, you can get the loan, and like that made sense, but looking at their financial planning, I sat down with them because they were in their fifties when they came to me, and they said, really want to retire, Like what's what's the plan, like, you know, we obviously have a lot of money, and they were going on ski trips every year to Aspen, like that's big dog energy, that is big. But they couldn't afford to retire, and they couldn't afford to retire because they didn't have any savings or any investments at all to put themselves in a position where they could stop working. So their lifestyle was maintainable if they continued to do their really high income jobs every single year. But for them to retire, we did a financial plan that meant they had to get rid of the cars, they had to get rid of the boats, they had to get rid of one of the houses. And with that financial plan, beck it put them in the same position as my other couple, So their outcome meant that their income during retirement would be exactly the same as my other couple who didn't have that massive income, who you know, had just plotted along the whole time, and you know, they actually financially were going to be in the same position. However, because my first client had been doing it their entire life, they didn't need that much to be contributed every month. But because my other clients, who were really wealthy were only doing it in their late fifties. They're in a bit of a picky position because that means they've got to save and invest heaps, like more than half of their income had to go towards wealth creation and saving and investing to actually put them in the same position. So I will at some point post that example on Instagram because I think it's a really interesting case study to go. Well, Beck, it's actually not about how much you earn, but more what you do with it over the long term. And this idea of you know, we're talking about lifestyle creep. Obviously they had significant lifestyle creep, but it's this idea that you know, a lot of people think to be good at money, you have to have lots of it, and that's just not the case. It's not the case at all, Like anyone can create financial freedom if they put their minds to it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually very interesting, very hard, very very hot. The earlier today, you were telling me about lotto winners, and that's actually a really good example here. So we always hear this idea that a lot of people who win the lottery go broke, right, Like, that's not a new concept. I think a lot of people have heard it before, but there is some research out of Boston University that actually found that, you know, putting that aside, the people that are most likely to go broke are actually the neighbors of lotto winners. What So, if you live next door to someone who won the lotto, you are more likely to go broke, right. So it was this article that was published in a working paper from the f Reserve Bank of Philadelphia in the US, and the researchers poured over Canadian data relating to lottery winners and then bankruptcy claims from two thousand and four to twenty fourteen. And this article it's centered around people who won less than one hundred and fifty thousand dollars because people who won more than that tended to move away to that more fancy fancy pants areas where they lived among you know, more rich people. So it's not as.
Speaker 1: Relatable of course, yep. But the bigger the lottery win in a neighborhood, the more cases of bankruptcy they're tended to be in the same area.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And the total amount of cash board also rose across the whole neighborhood relative to the amount that was one. And this trend apparently occurred because neighbors of lottery winners tended to splurge on what we call obvious displays of wealth, like brand new cars or boats or things to put in their driveways because they saw their neighbors with them and they got jealous and got a little bit of fomo and wanted to do the whole keeping up with the Joneses thing. And they're like, oh, well, Beck did it, but maybe didn't know. Beck won a whole heap of money. So people are more likely to go broke because they want to keep up with the Joneses. Isn't that wild?
Speaker 3: That is so wild? It kind of in a way makes sense. And I don't know if you know this about me, v, but keeping up with the Joneses is kind of what made me go bankrupt.
Speaker 1: So I know that, but the community is not going to know that. You and I have spoken about it, and I think the thing I love about you is that you're so open and willing to talk about that journey. And I'm assuming it's because you don't want other people to end up in that position, nor do you want to end up in it again yourself. But from your perspective. Having been in that circumstance, do you still, I guess have the mindset of thinking that you need a whole heap of money to be able to create wealth, look.
Speaker 3: To a degree, because for me, it was kind of like, you know, I knew that I wanted to go to UNI and study and make a career for myself. So I'd see people around me and they would have the newest MacBook, the best devices, and you know, I kind of had like a really old laptop or just a note pad and pen, and I kind of thought there are certain parts of life where you need money in order to have a bit of a leg up. I'm not saying it's impossible to move forward with that money.
Speaker 1: But it obviously is a very very nice advantage.
Speaker 3: Right, A nice advantage.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent doesn't hurt one hundred percent. But given you've given us a little bit of context, I'm assuming you didn't grow up in a super wealthy family, so it's not as though you could go, oh, mom and dad, I need new laptop for you. Me, Like, is that a circumstance that would have ever happened for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like I know that growing up I knew that my mum would always come through with the goods. She always found a way too. It sounds like her queen. She's a queen, probably a budget queen. She's actually now quite a budget queen. I've realized I need to take a page out of her book. Ironically, she always came up with the goods. But it kind of hit a point where I was about seventeen eighteen, and my circle of friends always had, you know, the newest shoes. They're always like, you know, completely decked out and cool stuff, and so, you know, I got to a point where I kind of needed to keep up, and I found myself in a bit of debt. Just we're just spending more than just sing more than I was earning. And I got myself a credit card at eighteen, and then before I knew it, I hit like twenty I needed a personal loan to pay off that credit card, and then I kind of just it just snowballed. I needed more and more loans to pay off more and more loans, and then by the time I hit twenty five, I was like, I am drowning.
Speaker 1: I am in a pickle. And a minut of people, how you ended up going bankrupt. We will do some more deep diving, I think into how that worked, because I think that bankruptcy has a lot of shame associated with it, which is absolutely not necessary, because I'm assuming, you know, grand assumption that when you got a credit card, you didn't know how bad that could be for you, of course, because you just didn't have the right mindset, you didn't have the right educational knowledge. And I'm sure that today, if you were handed a credit card, I feel like it would be thrown across the room and you probably wouldn't want it. But I also think that you would have a lot more knowledge today than you did then to use it respectfully.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, absolutely, I mean I would hope, so, I would hope so get a couple of dollars in my hand, and I do become a bit white.
Speaker 1: We talk about this concept on the podcast that from little things grow and it's kind of about these small steps in the right direction. And you know, there's this quote that says, if you can't manage one thousand dollars, there's no way you can manage ten thousand dollars, and I think that that is so true, and I get so frustrated because people in our community. You'll be like, oh, well, that's nice. Like, I'll put an example up right, I'll go, oh, well, if you invest five hundred dollars each and every single month, by the time you reach retirement, you'll have an investment portfolio of one point two million dollars at a rate of return of seven and a half percent. People be like, well, I don't have five hundred dollars a month, Victoria, And I'll go, look, that's a really good example though, Like I'm not here saying that everybody needs five hundred dollars. What I'm saying is that, hey, look at the power of compounding. Look at the power of time. Right, But what you could do, and whether you have five hundred dollars a month or five dollars a month, compounding over that period of time is going to happen. And every small step is a step in the right direction. Because today, back you might have five bus that you can invest every month. How good is it that you have created this habit to invest every single month. You've started this habit that can grow from there, and maybe in the future you'll have ten dollars a month, and maybe in the future you'll have fifty dollars a month, right, And I promise little things and little steps in the right direction are still steps that are absolutely worth taking, because if you're waiting for that five hundred dollars to pop up in your account that you can spare, I promise it's not just going to come from nowhere, Like your boss doesn't just walk into your office one day and go Beck. So I've been thinking, I'm going to give you a raise that is another five hundred dollars in your pocket each and every fortnight, like it's just it. Yeah, I wouldn't hate it, but it's just not going to happen. Like no one's going to come in with a magic wand and go okay, cool now Beck, all of a sudden you have that five hundred dollars free in your budget. But what can happen is we get into a groove of investing five bucks a month and then going wow, like, you know, I did have a pay rise. Maybe I could allocate some of my pay rise towards that, because sometimes we can't change our lifestyles, especially if someone is on a lower income, you can't actually go oh, well, I would love to invest that amount. We would all love to invest that amount. But if let's say, for example, you're a single mum of two young kids and you have an income of sixty five thousand dollars, the idea that if you have two young kids you could invest is absolutely wild to me on that income. Like unfortunately, in that circumstance, paying for daycare, paying for formula, paying for all of the things that are baby related is going to be the priority. And I think that that's where we need to embrace this idea of seasons of life where yes, you know what, that doesn't mean it's useless for you to learn about investing. What you should do is learn about it and acknowledge that right now this season of your life that you're going through is actually just a season where it's not possible, but you know what you're going to get out of that season, and then you're going to have the skills and the knowledge and the information that you need to take that next step to put yourself in the best possible position because you've already learned about it. It's kind of like doing a uni degree and then getting the full time job later, like you equipped, my friend. So I think it's super important that we don't just assume, Oh, Beck, wait until you actually have enough money to invest? Sure, because it's twenty twenty three. Like, and I'm not plugging Chazy's here because like, you know, I love Shares's, I do, but I'm plugging them because even that platform, like they openly say you can invest with as literal as one dollar, Like, how much more accessible can we get? No longer are we looking? You know, ten years ago, minimum investments on platforms were five hundred dollars, and that was unobtainable. And so I think that there's this ongoing mentality in the investment world, or in especially women's minds, that I can't invest because like it's really expensive to get started, because we've been fed this idea that it is expensive to get started because that's what it used to be, but it's not anymore and it's changed. And even if you can only afford a dollar a month, how great is it that you are teaching yourself to invest in putting future you in the best possible position. Yeah, because even if it ends up being fifty dollars in an investment account, fifty bucks you didn't have before, isn't it, Beck?
Speaker 3: That's so true? That's a really good takeaway. I think just start with what you.
Speaker 1: Have exactly and stretch. Is a lot of money to one person might not be a lot to somebody else. But I don't think that should jade your opinion of yourself or your own financial circumstances. And just because you know Beck says thirty bucks is a lot of money, don't feel bad if you thought five bucks was a lot of money. Like that's not something that is helpful or constructive to you. And that's a layer of judgment that you don't deserve. And the one person that shouldn't be judging ourselves is ourselves. So I think very probably a full place to leave it. What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Beck?
Speaker 3: I absolutely love that. I think it's a really good takeaway. I'm going to go away now and invest fifty cents to the dollar.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it all right. I don't know if that makes sense, but let's do you know what, We're going to take it and we're just gonna run with it. Go get a coffee, all right, Guys, We would love it if you joined our Facebook group, where our community shares money tips and tricks every single day, free of judgment. Search She's on the Money on Facebook and join us if Facebook's not your thing. We're on Instagram and She's on the Money aus and we're also on TikTok producing content every single day at She's on the Money, and as always, don't forget to rate, review, unsubscribe to let Beck know that she's doing an epic new job as an epic new co host. Please let me know.
Speaker 3: I need all the sport I can get right now.
Speaker 1: Please put me and tell me I'm pretty all right. See you on Friday, guys, Bye guys. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Devine and She's on the Money are authorized sentitives of money sherper P T y L t D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine