Speaker 1: Here at Two Good Sports, we would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast. The werengerie people. This land was never seated, always was always will be. Hello, Hello, bonjour, Dare I say welcome bien venue to two Good Sports Sports And he's told differently, I'm Georgie Turney.
Speaker 2: I would try my French, but I'd be really found out for my lack of attention in year nine.
Speaker 3: Hello George, how are you?
Speaker 1: I am so so good, And yes I've added a little bit of French flavor because we are going to be talking about the Olympic Games.
Speaker 2: It's really in contrast to the fact that you're wearing a Morons guernsey.
Speaker 3: You're a woman of many interests.
Speaker 1: Jeremy, thank you so much for pointing out my incredible fashion choice today. It does lead into my good sport bad sport for today. And I'm just going to clear the desk for a moment and just step at top the platform that I've built for myself, because soapbox is already, clapbox is ready, because I am ready to give a fair whack to men that I considered giants when I was growing up watching my favorite game being rugby League.
Speaker 4: The State of Origin has happened.
Speaker 1: Game one, Queensland the victors, but a lot of the commentators, a lot of former players, a lot of the coaching staff that we saw.
Speaker 4: I really have a very, very very big issue with them.
Speaker 1: In the opening eight minutes of the State of Origin game, Reese Walsh, who yes, I hold my hands up, he's one of my favorites. I know, he was absolutely pole axed, pole axed in the opening minutes by Joseph sula Ee And can I just say that this is not the advertisement that you want for rugby League. Joseph sually E was sent off and then I tell you what these giants are the game that I have looked up to, bent over backwards.
Speaker 4: To try and be like not to send off a bulletins.
Speaker 1: Reese Walsh was unconscious on the ground after getting a shoulder to the face, and they were trying to be like, I mean, it's Origin. Maybe in Clubland that's a sendoff, but in Origin, please it's twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Grow up, get over it. It's a sendoff.
Speaker 3: I send off.
Speaker 2: Begin to tell you how darring it is as someone who, let's be honest, watches Rugby League only for origin, which is a lot of the AFL sort of audience, of which concussion is a massive topic in the AFL. At the moment you watch again inside the opening ten minutes, and the reaction online is like, if he did that in AFL, he'd get fifty to life.
Speaker 3: Yes you, oh, who's the best? We love him.
Speaker 1: Yes, he has the actual accurate analysis that was necessary for this game. Rugby League pundits, hang your heads in shame. This is all that.
Speaker 5: You need, um, just watching the other code here, and these guys wouldn't last a second in the AFL because that action there, that would get your forty weeks in bridge and that is not on. These guys are off their heads, just a diving headshot. They wouldn't last around. They're not well over there.
Speaker 2: This is cooked it and it was really difficult to watch and gratefully Reese Walsh got up.
Speaker 4: Reese was fine.
Speaker 1: Reese was fine, but it was deemed a Category one head injury because he was unconscious on the ground for some time before all the trainers got out to him. He eventually passed his HIA, which is insane as well.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what SOROWD.
Speaker 3: Does that work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So technically he would have been allowed back onto the field, but because it was deemed a.
Speaker 4: Category one head injury, he couldn't go back.
Speaker 3: They would have taken to the hospital.
Speaker 1: For just to be sure, ambulance, air ambulance would be called. And look, I really like Joseph Suwali. I think he is an outstanding young talent. But you cannot you cannot do that. And in the scope of everything that's happening right now, when it comes to discussions about concussion in every single code on this planet, to go in not trying to make a tackle with your shoulder to the head, it is a straight up send off. And he's also likely going to be suspended for four matches as well. So every single person that was like, oh, it's a very big cal in the origin, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: Get out, get out. The game doesn't want you.
Speaker 3: Get out.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing is Billy Slater in the postmatch, of course, is the Morons coach being like, I'm just going to keep my thoughts to myself, which.
Speaker 3: Is really giving.
Speaker 2: I'm fine fine, and you're like, oh you're not fine, baby, You're sure you're not fine.
Speaker 3: He's like well what did you think? Yes, which it just was the ultimate.
Speaker 2: He'd never really said anything, but I was like, oh he fuming would would be understandable because he is he's a game winner, which he didn't need him Moron's one anyway.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean is it was always going to be tough for New South Wales to come back with only twelve men on the field for seventy minutes, and I've got to say they were brave. But it's just one of those things that Yes, of course, the word I kept hearing was unfortunate, so unfortunate that this has happened to the spectacle of the game.
Speaker 4: So unfortunate, this is the thing. Ah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It's unfortunate that Reyes Walsh was boll axed in the first seven.
Speaker 4: Minutes by an illegal tackle.
Speaker 3: Like h So there's a bad sport.
Speaker 2: I'm going to come in with a good sport and changing goes to talk about something positive, but I am going to give the good sports surprising no one to nil Danaher and the Danaher family and everything that they do for the Big Freeze. I think sometimes in sport we talk about concussions, we talk about you know, sometimes the things that make headlines are super negative and you can forget just how unifying being part of the sports community is. Yes, and the Big Freeze is really special. And the fact that you are going to look out over the mcg and just see a sea of blue the beanies they're so warm, they're so warm this they're almost too warm, which is a weird thing to say because it's acting at the moment in Melbourne, but they've just done and there's kids ones now.
Speaker 3: But it's more for someone in the face of the beast.
Speaker 2: That is what Neil calls m and D to turn it into what it's become, the tenth Big Freeze, and it just is something that makes me immensely proud to be part of the AFL community in any way.
Speaker 3: Does it feel like longer than a year since I last did it? Sure? Was it actually that cold? No? No, surprisingly not that cold.
Speaker 1: Because so for anyone that doesn't follow along the Big Freeze game, there's a moment it's halftime, right, No pregame, Oh, pregame, pregame, it's pregame where notable faces from around the country don their best attire and are sent down a freezing cold, slippery dip into an ice, ice, ice cold bath.
Speaker 4: You're saying, not that cold?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean did I go in basically head to toe leather? You did?
Speaker 4: You were dressed as Maleficent so.
Speaker 3: That it was all like water repellent.
Speaker 2: Sure was my head piece essentially at swim Cat so my hair didn't get wet. Probably yes, but no, in all seriousness, just a really special weekend and hopefully hopefully we are steps closer to a cure. And again a big shout out to beck down her My god, no one works.
Speaker 4: Other no one does.
Speaker 1: She's and she's such a It's such a wonderful family and all that they.
Speaker 3: Do, four brothers.
Speaker 1: It's it's incredible what they are doing, because I do think that every single year, the awareness that is raised, just purely awareness is incredible. There are so many people now around Australia who would know what MND stands for disease, and they may not have before this moment. So yes, hats off, hats off to them.
Speaker 2: That might be our strongest bad sport emotionally and our strongest good sport.
Speaker 4: I've deflated the so kay, I've deflated it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I think there are some people in athletics that would like to get back onto it, because our deep dive this week is something that while it might have been part of selection criteria for years in years gone by, it has come to such an ugly head in the women's marathon. And we are mere months out from the Paris Games, and this is when we see the good stories ramp up, particularly in track and field. Yes, because they get one shot, one opportunity every four years to make their impact.
Speaker 4: But we need to know the faces that we're going to support.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, even though we have such a strong cohold of women's marathons runners, they're making headlines for not necessarily all the right reasons. And we're going to take you through the deep dive and blow your mind. It's not just the fastest runners that get to go to the.
Speaker 1: Games, Jeremy. The Olympic Games fast approaching. They are a blink away.
Speaker 3: They really are.
Speaker 1: And if I was a magical runner who could run very very fast do incredible things, and I somehow had run the third fastest time for my particular event and that was all we needed. The third fastest time gets you qualification through to the Games, I would think I'm on my way. I am the top three runners in this country. I've packed the bags, I have been looking up all the places that I'm going to eat, all of the pastries.
Speaker 4: I am ready to go.
Speaker 1: But you, jellmy are telling me that my dreams in this magical world would be dashed.
Speaker 3: There's a word called discretion that is used for Olympic qualification.
Speaker 2: And particularly over the last couple of weeks in the women's marathon, there have been headlines across the country about the fact that it's not necessarily our three fastest runners, or in this case it isn't that have been given their ticket to Paris, and chaos and lawsuits and lawyers have ensued, and understandably enough, but we want to start because, as you said, they're magical. The pace at which they can run a marathon is so impressive, and there's incredible stories for the three women who have qualified, and we want to start by celebrate them.
Speaker 4: I think that.
Speaker 1: What's key to note here, deal listener, is that there is an argument that in this country marathon running has never been at its strongest.
Speaker 3: Especially in the women's competition.
Speaker 1: We have such a deep pool, so much so that six women have run underneath the qualification time that was necessary to get to a games. However, we've only got three spots.
Speaker 2: Six doesn't go into three comfortably, and so there was all this anticipation about who was going to get selected. And some of these women are already household names, particularly in track and field. So let me introduce you to the three women who were selected. Shane Diver. Now, Georgie, you said in a magical land where you would be a runner, Well, Shane Diver started running at thirty three years old. I'm thirty three in one of the greatest stories. So essentially, her sister invited her to the Tan to do a fun run and she was like, you know what, I've just had a baby.
Speaker 3: I'll get into fitness. She did her first lap of the Tan in twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, not bad for someone who's never trained.
Speaker 3: Just to give you an idea, it was it. And then she did her next lab and she's like, oh, I shaved forty seconds off. That not bad.
Speaker 2: So she decided to join a rum club. Again, we're talking in her thirties and has had a baby and everything else, and in that time a coach has gone.
Speaker 3: G you're fast, You've got some skill sets here. Things that would never happen to me, even magical land flash forward. She is the Australian women's record holder in the marathon.
Speaker 2: She was selected for Tokyo at forty four years old, and before I harp on about her age and qualification, about the fact that she will be forty seven in Paris, this is a direct quote. I find it extremely frustrating that a lot of media attention is mainly focused on my age. Do you know who didn't listen Channel seven when they were like the year she was born? This was number one, because it just blows our mind that you can find, especially track and field form so like.
Speaker 3: But she is an incredible story. She has two children.
Speaker 2: She is our fastest ever run in the marathon, and during the qualification time ran the fastest time.
Speaker 1: Yes, so in that qualification period, So to qualify for the marathon, you have from I think it was like the end of twenty twenty two till early twenty twenty four to post a time that fits underneath the two hours twenty six minute mark, let's say, And she was able to do that at the end of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: So she is on the plane and she had the fastest time, so she's off.
Speaker 2: The second fastest time was Genevieve Gregson, a name that is synonymous with sport because she is going to her fourth consecutive Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yes, and if you don't know Gregson, you may know her as Genevieve Lacarz.
Speaker 2: That was her maiden name, absolutely, and the Gregson name is because her partner made the final.
Speaker 3: Her partner Ryan made the final in the fifteen hundred meters in Rio. So just like a very athletic family, she.
Speaker 2: Used to compete and is the Australian record holder in the steeple chase.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is where I have to say I remember her most four and I would say a lot of our listeners would remember her because there was those really heartbreaking scenes in Tokyo where she's running the steeple chase, the final steeple I think it was the final one, and she ruptured her achilles tendon on that final final jump, landing on the track and just screaming. And he just saw her there on the ground and I was like, that is on the world stage to do that significant injury in the biggest moment of your life.
Speaker 4: Oh, it took my breath away.
Speaker 2: Watching the steeple chase hurts my achilles, like the actual event itself is wild. And I had the privilege of chatting to Genevieve recently and I said, how did he get into that? She's like, I trained in America and I'm like, well that probably okay, and She's like no one else wanted to do it.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, well, I'll have a crack. But in that moment, she.
Speaker 2: Thought my career might be over. Yes, my achilles is giving way. Everything about this sport just isn't agreeing with my body. Yeah, and steple chase is typically three thousand minutes. And remember that Tokyo was actually in twenty twenty one, yeah, not twenty two, so she hasn't had a four year Olympic cycle to prepare for Paris. Took that time off to have her first child and to rehab. Has then thought I'll give the marathon a go.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Turns out she's good, and by good, I mean very goddamn good. In that time of adopting a new sport that goes for forty two kilometers, she's run the third fastest ever Australian marathon.
Speaker 1: Visual thirty nine k's more than she was usually doing.
Speaker 2: Is just such an inspiration and again is going to her fourth Olympics, but has decided to pick up a different and very very competitive discipline. Phenomenal, really really incredible story. And then we get to our third qualifier.
Speaker 1: As we can only have three, remember because we can only harly have three.
Speaker 2: Jess Stenson, who may ring a bell for the fact that she won gold in Birmingham in the marathon.
Speaker 4: So she Commonwealth Games.
Speaker 2: She's a proven performer in the green and gold on the big stage. She's heading to her second Olympics because she missed out on Tokyo. Yes, because she had a bone injury that came about after she had her first child, which they're so incredible, I know, well more incredibly her second child was born in September of last year. No yeah, and since giving birth has then ran the time that has qualified her in this top six that's.
Speaker 3: Like six months. It's actually insane. She ran the time when a baby was six months old.
Speaker 2: Again, I can't begin to tell you how much as a mum this blows, or as anyone that blows your mind. Of the top six women that made this qualifying time, five of them have had children.
Speaker 1: I just can't. I just don't understand. But Jeremy I would assume. So if we've gone Shane Diver, she has the fastest time right she's on the plane. Genevieve Gregson second fastest time she's on the plane, Jessica Stenson third fastest time she's on the butt.
Speaker 3: She was the fifth fastest qualified during the period.
Speaker 2: And this is where the drama ensues because Lisa Weightman is one of Australia's best ever marathon runners. If selected, she would be going to her fifth Games in track and field, and during this period she did run the third fastest time. So but she is not on the plane to patters, she didn't receive the phone call. Yes, and understandably so she and her camp are devastated.
Speaker 1: So this is a decision that is made by Athletics Australia. Yes, when they are choosing their squad, they have to make these tough decisions about who gets to represent them and our country on the world's biggest stage.
Speaker 2: I must admit I was ignorant to the selection process that happens in athletics. I made the massive assumption that it's the top three times and away you go. There is a word called discretion yes in their selection guidelines, which is what this all hinges on. And Athletics Australia have come back to the point where they're saying we're using our discretion and where selecting Jess to go to the Games.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I would assume and I think one of the reasons that they have given themselves is that is her history with being able to perform at big events, right, like she has that gold medal experience.
Speaker 2: And also what we know about Paris is it's going to be very hot, yes, and treacherous conditions.
Speaker 1: And this is why the marathon and the selection process for this event and other events. But it can come down to discretion because it is really difficult to try and synchronize synchronize a selection process, right you can only run a few marathons at your top speed through the course of a year. The courses come into play because a lot of courses are a lot flatter than others.
Speaker 4: Others are hillier.
Speaker 1: So depending on where you choose to run, that will obviously affect your time. So among these six runners, a lot of their times were posted at different places and throughout different periods throughout the two years.
Speaker 2: Their training blocks are about thirteenek right, so you're roughly looking at three months there lead up to each marathon, so they probably have two, maybe three elite marathons in them annually. So they target these particular races where they know they're more likely to run a better time in order to qualify. And also it's noted for marathon runners where the prize money.
Speaker 4: Is So for me though, I feel that this term discretion.
Speaker 1: It makes sense for a lot of sports and a lot of sporting bodies to anything with the team like this. Yeah, so why is this case different from so many others?
Speaker 2: So Lisa Weightman on the fifteenth of May made an appeal to the National Sports Tribunal and her argument was that the nomination criteria was not properly applied and there was no material in which Athletic Australia's decision could be reasonably based. The NST found in favor of Lisa Weightman, so they went away did their due diligence. In this time, Lisa's got a manager and this is all getting very muddy and very uncomfortable behind the scenes, in the fact that AA hasn't announced that these three women have got the ticket to Paris. While this process is going on, AA say cool, we're sticking with our mark. The National Sports Trust then present their findings to AA and say, look, we think that you should have an independent committee to assess this because in our findings, you know, there's an unfair bias here. That's their recommendation, and Athletics Australia have gone yeah nah, so we hear you no. And then in this time, we are already in the Olympic training block for the marathon.
Speaker 4: This is even happening last night.
Speaker 3: We are less than thirteen weeks out.
Speaker 2: So these women are training like they're going to Paris, believing that they may be going to Paris, waiting for the ticket. And the other thing is all of this takes a lot of money. It's lawyers, it's engagement, and we just want to highlight no one's winning here. No poor Jess Stinson and the pressure on you receive the call to say that you're going to an Olympics, you go into Paris and perhaps you weren't expecting it, And what a dream. I've just had a kid. This is just my Cinderella moment and someone who I'm close to because the athletics fraternity and especially marathon runners.
Speaker 3: They travel around the world together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very very tight knit. These people are teammates. Yes, that's an individual sport, but they are teammates, they're friends, they've known each other for decades.
Speaker 2: So on Wednesday, the twenty ninth of May, five minutes before the appeal deadline, Lisa informs Athletics Australia that she was going to make a final appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport in Switzerland.
Speaker 4: So she's taken it to the next level.
Speaker 2: Several hours later, she pulls it back and basically says, you know what, I'm dropping this.
Speaker 3: I'm done here and my understanding is it came down to cost.
Speaker 1: Well her official statement after she decided to drop that appeal. What I am most disappointed about is Athletics Australia's own internal systems and procedures that have allowed this outcome and which, unless corrected, will negatively impact future Australian athletes and the legitimate claims to represent Australia.
Speaker 2: And big names within athletics, someone like Sally Pearson who has then gone on to have a career in media after being an olympian herself wrote an article that went gamebusters that started with the line I'm shocked, Lisa Weightman is heartbroken and Athletics Australia is in crisis. She goes on to say, I'm disappointed with the national selection panel, but I'm more shocked at the integrity of Athletics Australia and how this has become a total fast So on the eve of an Olympics, Athletics Australia are getting whacked. Yes, and people like you and I are shocked, going, what do you mean? What do you mean in a time based event.
Speaker 4: It's not the fastest who goes, It's not.
Speaker 3: The fastest, like this is brand new information.
Speaker 1: I also think though, that it is case in point once again of just the reactive power of social media one hundred percent, because this is where it started to get really nasty. People started to see these articles from Sally Pearson. They started to see the headlines bombshell Athletics Australia, and they then were like, oh, hang on a second, what is this. This must be an absolute outrage. What should I be doing? Muddying this further is of course, at its heart, these are people, the human side the.
Speaker 4: Emotions of this.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so much you say it ecstasy, you know, the Cinderella story, but then there's absolute heartbreak because what you thought was going to be your dream coming to life is not the case anymore. And we saw that with Lisa Weightman's husband, Lachlan MacArthur weighing in on social media, a move that he may now himself have like say.
Speaker 3: That he regrets.
Speaker 2: He deleted Twitter after making these comments, and you can understand that emotions were very heightened, but he tweeted or xed. It still feels weird to say that, but sure xd Jess Trengo, which is Jess's maiden name, could you please take down your background photo of my family? By the way, this was after one of the seven to one all time head to head wins by Lisa Weightman.
Speaker 1: So this is after Jess Stenson is selected as that in that third spot.
Speaker 3: But it was yet to be announced by Athletics, yet.
Speaker 4: To be announced, but the actual.
Speaker 3: Run selection process had happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were aware, right, Yes, so the official announcement hasn't happened, but all the main players know what's going on, yes, And so Lisa Weightman's husband has gone to Jess's personal account, seen a display picture of them all celebrating looking like happy family, and publicly tweeted and publicly tweeted take that down.
Speaker 4: There's a heartbroken family here.
Speaker 2: And we do live in a media landscape where it's that sort of fodder that gives this stuff massive five.
Speaker 4: All the screenshots that came all of.
Speaker 2: A sudden, it goes there is disdain, there's hate, there's drama behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: Do you think that that was inflated because it was women?
Speaker 1: I know that a man has necessarily like taken this first blown it up, But do you think that part of the drama that everyone then attached themselves onto when it came to this story was because it was women, female athletes.
Speaker 2: I actually had this conversation with Genevieve Gregson, who again I had an event with her in the lead up to this being made in a public announcement, and she was understandably very Pg. Thirteen in her description of all else she used to play the game.
Speaker 4: Still she did discretionary.
Speaker 2: Remember she at the time didn't tell me who the parties were, just said, look, there is a pretty ugly dispute happening behind the scenes, no one wants to see it, and you know, I just feel for my community at the moment. And I actually said to her the only thing that I can compare it to in my life is that I always feel like I'm pitted against other women in media. And genuinely, I've been in meetings with bosses that have said to me, you weren't the person, but I can only give the job to you or Georgie who's better of which I in my early twenties had to have the grace to go that's your job, not mine.
Speaker 3: I think she's one fool, and you can make your own choice.
Speaker 2: But there is this idea, particularly with women, yes, that yours has to be competition within the competition.
Speaker 4: Because this is a thing. It is a competition. We all know it's a competition. It's athletices.
Speaker 3: We get it.
Speaker 1: But then you don't need to necessarily then go on this at this extra level.
Speaker 2: And there must be this awful feeling in going. A decision was made and you rightly so believe it to be unjust because and I can see the merits of your argument, but I got a ticket to Paris. Yeah, ticket to Paris, and in credit to Lochlan MacArthur. Once the image was taken down, he basically tweeted saying, look, thank you to Jess for taking that down. I have a heartbroken family here and he then deleted his account. And you can understand from the Weightman camp perspective going, I'm meant to be going to my fifth Games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it was me and I thought that I had clocked that time, you know, me my magical running world and I'm on the way to Paris and then I'm told no, you're not. I would have I would feel like the world had completely shifted and I'm falling, falling, falling.
Speaker 2: And you just feel that with her public statement, perhaps this situation wasn't met with the empathy and the nuances of what it was.
Speaker 4: Maybe transparency.
Speaker 1: I always feel like, I mean, we give governing bodies a fairwack on this podcast for not being as transparent as maybe they and I think that's the case here again, like there has been a communication breakdown here. Jane Fleming, who is the Athletics Australia president, said in the statement, you know, we acknowledge the difficult task of Olympic nomination selection, whether a more athletes qualified than positions available. Any allegations that Athletics Australia or Athletics Australia's selection panel has not acted with integrity is also defamatory and simply not true. So she stood up for the process. But should the selection process change?
Speaker 2: Well, this is where Sally Pearson at the end of our article says, we want answers, and so are there answers when we look around the world. Is this a scenario that's unique to Australia or is it not? And you've had an example that blew my mind.
Speaker 1: I did tell me because you may be seeing there thinking, yeah, it's crazy, guys, this is insane.
Speaker 4: Be the fastest six week fly? Yeah, how do we do this?
Speaker 1: But it's also not only rules for us, rules for others. This is standard practice around the world, including in the East African powerhouses of Ethiopia and Kenya. So Ethiopia had ninety eight women run underneath the qualifying time of two hours and twenty six minutes fifty seconds during that qualification period.
Speaker 2: How many women run in the they could have fielded the entire field. Kenya had sixty six, unbelievable. So they are also making decisions of ninety eight into three and I tell you what for them as well, they did not pick the three fastest times posted. There was one in there that was in the mid fifties, like the fifty fifth time, fastest time she is on the way because they thought you are a big event athlete, you have the experience to back it up.
Speaker 4: I am picking you.
Speaker 2: The fifty fifth fastest qualifying time in the Olympic qualifying period is going to Paris.
Speaker 1: I think so yeah, because they're also fast ninety eight ninety eight underneath the qualification time. So these decisions are happening around the world. Discretion is applied across the board.
Speaker 2: And now we do have someone like Tamsa Manu, who's so entrenched in athletics in Australia, to give her two cents about what's happened here.
Speaker 3: But also what could be a potential solution. So let's have a listener to Tamson.
Speaker 6: You can see why she's disappointed. And there's a lot of emotion around this selection. But unless you make it really clear cut and you say in the selection criteria, right, we are picking the top three times. And again that's hard too because marathon you have to target that race and I know that the USA has a marathon championship trials because of that, so they take out the gray area in the selection and the first three across the line in those marathon Championship trials get selected, and the fourth person is the alternate, and so on. So I hope what Australian Athletics does is we do what the American team does, and we do name an alternate.
Speaker 3: I wonder how Lisa would feel about getting on the plane as a sub.
Speaker 4: Oh, do you know what I think? At least you'd be on the plane. Do you know what I mean? Anything could happen, Anything could happen. Injuries happen all the time.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: And also the argument there, and it's a fair one where Jamson's like had one race the first three to get across the line. There you go, let's solve this. It's what happens in America. That's great. This whole scenario just doesn't pass the pub test. There are no winners, it seems, on either side. But what we will be doing is getting our green and gold on and cheering the hell out of the three athletes that have qualified. Oh yes, and hopefully from this point on can just celebrate them and their achievements. Because the women that are on the plane haven't done anything wrong.
Speaker 3: Georgie, it's time for fun fact. Yes, it's time for a fun fact. And they're featured.
Speaker 2: In our Bad Sports because we love when tennis players have an absolute spat and for whatever reason, maybe it's just because they're in France, they get angry at the moment, don't they get passionate.
Speaker 3: Here's some fun.
Speaker 2: Facts, but also a good news story. And that mister Gucci Yannick Sinner. You know that he's like he uses a Gucci bag.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, I do. I thought you met.
Speaker 1: He was like some unknown Aircci thrown.
Speaker 3: I was like or a player Gucci. I was running number one thousand in the world.
Speaker 4: I was like the one who the fans dresses carrots for.
Speaker 2: He's a Gucci No you remember him of course as the winner of the Australian Open.
Speaker 3: He is the first ever Italian number one.
Speaker 4: Love it, I love it.
Speaker 3: Good on him.
Speaker 1: We'll staying with tennis because I wanted to bring a fun fact jemy in relation to the courts that they play on French Open synonymous with a clay court, right, yes, and as we know.
Speaker 4: Play again, we can't get the violins out. I'm not doing it. I refuse.
Speaker 1: But as we now know it Roland Garross. Of course it's famous for its red clay. But terra cotta, if you will, terra cotta. I love that that is the correct shade. But Jemmy, did you know that clay court's not always terra cotta.
Speaker 3: But that's the color of clay. Ha ha ha.
Speaker 1: It would appear, yes, except if you're at the Madrid Open in twenty twelve. There the clay was blue. They used blue clay.
Speaker 3: So like our hard.
Speaker 2: Courts, say Australia called and wants it's hard court color back, we are the sky blue.
Speaker 1: Well this is why because apparently the billionaire owner of the tournament Indrid, wanted the courts to be blue because they had become so popular in hard court use, right yep. So they were like, yeah, let's just just just make this clay court, let's just make that blue. However, it resulted in a more slippery surface because they've got paint in the clay, because it's usually like crushed up brick, right, like it's genuinely terra cotta.
Speaker 4: Yeah, genuinely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they've actually somehow by making it blue, they've changed the complete fabric of it and it meant a slippery surface, and the play.
Speaker 3: Is hated it.
Speaker 2: Well, they already slide around so much in regular clay, so it was more slippery.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing, Like, there's so many nuances.
Speaker 2: To what exact balls they use and why some players excelling clay and others are more for grass courts. So there's so many differences to these different surfaces, even though they're all Grand slams. Yeah, and if you mess with the clay, particularly the Spaniards, they're not going to be happy.
Speaker 1: Can you guess one of the players that was particularly put out? Think about a player who's not necessarily adverse to being a little bit vocal slides around a lot like Nova would.
Speaker 3: Have thrown his toys. I'm you dould have thrown his toys so far out of the cot.
Speaker 4: He was mad. He was mad.
Speaker 2: Shortstone split on the rig is stunning how white sides.
Speaker 1: The man lives in a split, lives in a split, and so for him, he got knocked out.
Speaker 4: So he was like, oh.
Speaker 3: It must be the court.
Speaker 4: It's the court, it's the court. This blue clay, I think not.
Speaker 1: I think not, and therefore after that the ATP banded blue Clay was never.
Speaker 3: Used to Thank you so much for joining us on Too Good Sports. Please leave us a review.
Speaker 2: They're very helpful, and remember to subscribe and check us out on social media as well at two Good Sports Podcasts. Georgie, I know that you need therapy after Origin, so I hope, I hope you have a strong week and that people check in on their Origin loving friends.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, and let's call a sendoff.
Speaker 3: Be a good sport
Speaker 1: Before