Speaker 1: Get a Peter Kelly here. Welcome to you.
Speaker 2: Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the podcast where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest from Anie Donner Broden Kelly.
Speaker 3: That's smarter.
Speaker 4: Wax on, wax off.
Speaker 3: I do wish we could chat Latiner, but.
Speaker 5: I'm having an old friend for dinner.
Speaker 1: Haven't right now?
Speaker 4: Don't see nothing here?
Speaker 2: Broden Kelly drained of being a real professional actor, So what the bloody hell happened?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: He went to baller at.
Speaker 2: UNI, where he studied arts and fell into a crowd which included future mates and collaborator Zach and Mark. He'll go on to create comedy supergroup Arntie Donner, who took YouTube by storm and are now currently taking the world by an even bigger storm with their Netflix sketch series Artie Donner's Big Old House of Fun and what fun it is. It is hilarious, genuine laugh out lab comedy. See it as soon as you can so you can impress everyone around a Christmas table by saying, hey, have you guys seen Annie Donna? Everyone will be impressed. Broden is a natural performer whose impressive acting range is on full display here. He's hilarious, hugely talented, and just a downright toplight. Let's see if Broden Kelly can get his wings.
Speaker 1: On today's episode. If you ain't seen.
Speaker 3: Nothing, Hello, my name's Broden Kelly. I'm from comedy group Antie Donna. My three favorite films are Moneyball, if he's a good hitter?
Speaker 4: Does you here?
Speaker 5: Good Whiplash, Not Quite make Temple, and Paddington.
Speaker 3: I hit a Marmaline sandwich, and up until this morning literally once the time an hour ago, I hadn't watched It's a Wonderful Life.
Speaker 2: Frank Capra's nineteen forty six masterpiece, It's a Wonderful Life. Sea's Jimmy Stewart's kind hearted small town kid with wonderlust. George Bailey, never quite being able to escape his small town Bedford, falls to the majestic trails of Europe and Africa that he said desperately craves. It all catches up with George after being told he's worth more dead than alive. But the arrival of Guardian Angel Clarence may provide George with the clarity to find the perspective he so desperately needs Roden Kelley.
Speaker 1: Did you get your wings?
Speaker 3: Mister Helly you No, I didn't. I was a blubbering mess this morning. Legitimately, I was just watching it. I thought, there's no way this is going to connect with me. You know, I'm thirty one, I'm dead inside. But I was genuinely moved by the end of the film. It's such a weirdly structured film, or so different to how films are made now, but like, not only does it just open with this weird existential the stars angels and they're talking to one another.
Speaker 4: Hello, Joseph, trouble looks like we'll have to send someone down. A lot of people asking for help for a man named George Bailey. George Bailey, Yes.
Speaker 1: Tonight's crucial night.
Speaker 4: You're right, we'll have to send someone down immediately. Whose turn is it? That's why I came to see you, sir. It's a clockmaker's turn again. Oh Clarence hasn't got his wings yet, has he?
Speaker 3: Which was weird at seven am this morning, But no, I had an absence.
Speaker 5: I loved it. I really loved it.
Speaker 2: And we're going to talk about those three films you mentioned before. We get too deeply into into It's a wonderful life. But when I saw and I'd forgotten about that, start like it almost were you surprised to see It's almost if Arnie Donna did a Christmas special, you can imagine them being some kind of version of this.
Speaker 3: It's breaking some weird boundaries, man like or like just talking about angels finding wings and it's start and it sits on it for like a good five six minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh, there are jokes in there as well, like what what do they wear these days? And the book Tom saw Yer, which is like I think I worked out as like seventy years old by that point, so it's like that was happening now. It would be like Catching the Rye or Charlotte's Web. Yeah, you know, it's it's really funny.
Speaker 3: It's a yeah, it's a real I was like, this is not how I expected this film to start, and it was the film. It was awesome watching it this morning, or watching it for the first time. Being my age, being a kid who grew up in the nineties, we have the great joy of thinking that the Simpsons invented everything, and then as you get older you realize how many things they were referencing, and the amount of Simpsons in It's a Wonderful Life is so funny. I felt such an enjoyable layer for me.
Speaker 2: Simpsons comes up a lot in this podcast, watching like The Godfather and going oh, now I understand, I.
Speaker 3: Want I want his wife dead, I want his cat and his dog dead. Oh wait, wait, wait wait? What was before the cat.
Speaker 1: Just killed?
Speaker 6: In me.
Speaker 2: To three great films, Moneyball has come up before, as has Whiplash. Moneyball was one of the most surprising, despite the fact that it was I think maybe ben a Miller and written by Aaron Sorkin and featuring Brad Pitts, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that that was a really good film. But it was a surprise because he thought, this is like, can you imagine an AFL film where it was like Jeff Walsh and Derek Heine Colin were going through exact selection.
Speaker 1: I mean, this year collin Wood may be able to make a film.
Speaker 3: I want to see a film about the cap space of Collingwood this year. That is a film I do actually want to see, Peter, but that's a different podcast for a different time.
Speaker 1: You can play Adam Lau.
Speaker 3: But no, absolutely, it's it's a film that whenever you put it on, whenever I put it on, it locks you in immediately, and it's got so many things going against it. It's a film about data, it's a film about sport, which you know, sport films are hard to do, I think. But it's just outstanding. It's got It's Bennett Miller. It's got this this way of telling stories that Capodi. And the other one which is called I'm going to say it, it's got we got Moneyball the one and.
Speaker 1: What's the other one?
Speaker 3: Fox Catcher three of my favorite films generally speaking. He's absolutely outstanding. Uh.
Speaker 2: And the daughter in that and that that lovely touch on the song is talk about bank for your back as far as you know, like some sports films, a lot of sports films we'll get, you know, we'll go to a family in the personal side.
Speaker 1: But like she's not in it a lot.
Speaker 2: No, but that song when they when it gets when he plays it, it's great. When she's well by the way, it's like must have been written by Lord or someone like it's.
Speaker 3: I think it really was. I think it was written by someone something like that. It's got this weird lineage. That's that song, But it's The family story is not a huge part of the film, but it like completely anchors this this story.
Speaker 5: It's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Whiplash has come up once or twice before. It is such a great film. My older sons have watched it and loved it.
Speaker 1: It is. It is just tense from the get going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's this drama school in Ballarat was ten percent of this. But the idea of just being a young person who's trying to figure out who they are and just decides that they are an art form or they are something and give themselves whole, you know, wholeheartedly to it. And the ending is just outstanding and such a good encapsulation of it. But also I really love that the main guy is just a prick and you're and you go and you're kind of rooting for him even though he's making the wrong decisions and he's an asshole.
Speaker 5: I yeah, And the music is just awesome.
Speaker 2: This is ex awesome, And I think you're expecting JK. Simmons and the young lead actor in that role whose name bank Early in the morning. We usually don't record this early in the morning to at some point kind of you know, understand each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Miles Teller, Miles Teller, you're particularly good in that role.
Speaker 2: We don't have to mention we have maybe some googling going on, but yeah, you kind of expect that they might at some point understand each other and that just doesn't happen, which is great.
Speaker 5: No, No, it's yeah that thing of like, yeah, the music, the way it's.
Speaker 3: Just stream of consciousness almost And yeah, Damien Chazelle, I think, is the director of that movie, and he went on and some other cool things. Yeah, awesome.
Speaker 2: I love that that final, the third act in it because it kind of goes in a you know, in the direction that you just with a car accent you just did not literally do not see coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's the ending of that film, you know, not to give it away, but the idea that it just ends in passion, or it ends in just the feeling that he's looking for this whole time. But that says not great things about that person and suggests that he's going to have.
Speaker 5: A bad life. But he's reached that.
Speaker 3: But he's reached this place he wanted to get to, and that's self destructive. And but he's happy there. It's you really feel it. It's like being a creative person and trying to get to a place and knowing it's going to cost stuff, but it being worth it to you.
Speaker 5: It's it's really cool.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting, isn't it, because usually your protagonists will go on a journey that they don't necessarily get what they want, but they get what they need.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: With Miles Tallow in Whiplash, it's it's it's kind of it's kind a bit warped, isn't it, because exactly what you just said. It's it's it gets to this place where it's like, this is actually really what you wanted.
Speaker 3: And yeah, his dad Paul Buckman from Man About You, he's Paul Paul. He He's I think you're supposed to represent, like, you know, a nice life, a happy life, a person you know, you know where you have family and your connections and you appreciate everything. And like there's this moment where he literally just hugs him and pushes him away and walks back onto stage.
Speaker 5: You know JK.
Speaker 3: Simmons, who represents you know, solitude and and pursuit of this thing and being a prick And it's just it's really cool, a really really nice visual representation of it, just next.
Speaker 5: To sick jazz, just awesome jazz for two hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it is that thing of you know, it's an interesting study into do you have to suffer for your for the art? You know, and I mean, I mean your your story is really interesting, you know with the Arnie Donner. So you guys have worked really hard for a long time, Yeah, to get to you know, where you are.
Speaker 3: So it's yeah, there's a lot of it I see in man, like the idea of being in your mid twenties and working really hard and sacrificing everything. I say it all the time, but like, if you want to sort of break through and do something interesting with your life, you've got to kind of accept that for a lot of your twenties you're going to look like, you know, a piece of crap to your parents and to your girlfriend and stuff that you know, he's not doing anything but you kind of are. But it's not showing dividends at that time. And that idea that you have to do that you have to kind of have no weekends and no friendships and all this. You know, you've got to really focus everything to it, and it's to an extent true, but I think it's also like to be the best creative person, and you know, to be the best creative person, you have to have this layer of also being calm and being open and reflexive, and and being having family and friends around you. Like, being a good creative person is about balance as well, I think, and that's something I've had to learn, Like after eight years of doing this and making and making sketches and TV and things with Auntie.
Speaker 2: Donner, when I started stand up in ninety six, and it wasn't until I did a guest spot on TV on a show called IMT in Melbourne Tonight which was st No, it was Frankie J.
Speaker 1: Holden Tonight Live with Steve Iza.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I was at school when Steve I's I was doing and that was like, you know, there's a lot of hero worship going on with Steve I's Tonight Live.
Speaker 5: And what was the Graham Kennedy one?
Speaker 2: Then Graham Kennedy was IMT and they rebooted it with Frankie J. Holden for a couple of years and I got a stand up spot on that so I could say to my parents, could see it and kind of go, oh, we get it now. They weren't coming to the s B to watch me do no Stand up on a Sunday or a Tuesday night, but they could see that and they could like say to their friends, yeah, oh he's doing well, and they could they could feel comfortable that, you know, I was getting somewhere. The kind of things I could tell them didn't mean anything, Like I could say the fleety you know, I said, he liked.
Speaker 1: My joke, you know, and well that means nothing.
Speaker 2: When you were doing sketches on like YouTube, when did your parents get what you were doing.
Speaker 3: It's that thing as well, where you want your parents to know that you're doing well, but at the same time they they get invested in a way that other people don't. So like since this Netflix show has come out, both of them, I don't think I've said I watched the show and enjoyed it, but they've just said peripheral stuff around it. Like Dad the day that the show was announced, just sat on his googling Auntie Donner and looking at every article and every person and comes back and tells me, do you know that you were mentioned on this? But like just like that they're writing and as much as I am, but so like I think they just like and they and they definitely like seeing like triple M means more to them than YouTube, even though we just collaborated with a YouTuber in Melbourne who has sixteen million subscribers, and you know, it's just one of the you know, one of the big I don't care about that, but hey, you were on Melloy Kennedy, you were on Drive, which is a great show. But just in comparison to the audience size, is you know different.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Paddington too.
Speaker 2: I'm embarrassed because I haven't seen it and it's a film that's been on my must watch list for so long because I loved Paddington One. Talk about surprising films. Paddington was an incredible film and I've only heard the only thing I've heard about Padington's two is that it's better than Padington One.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yeah, it's I think it well for a long time.
Speaker 3: I think it had one hundred percent on Rotten Tomatoes review and audience response, which is impossible. But it actually is the director of these films whose name escapes me, which is the theme of today's podcast is from Mighty Boosh. I think he directed all the Mighty Boosh stuff, and he's got this great sense for comedy, but it's what comedy often needs, which is his great comedic adventure, which is, you know, for everyone, there's jokes for adults, there's jokes for kids. It's got this great ensemble because the director understands comedic actors and their importance. But then more than any more important than anything else. It has just immense heart and like these films can break break me like no other. But also Hugh Grant and Nicole Kimmen in the first one, but Hugh Grant in the second one as the villain is so so fantastic. Yeah, it's one of those films that's just about perfect. And you know, if I want to have kids, just so I can show them that film because it's super super fun.
Speaker 1: I'm enjoying old older Hugh Grant. I was watching The Gentleman the other night.
Speaker 2: I only watch it for the first time with Matthew McConaughey to Guy Richie film. Yeah, and he's so good in that is I haven't made my way all the way through the underdoing, but he's he's great in that even like Florence.
Speaker 3: Florence Florence Foster Jenkins Jenkins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's great in that.
Speaker 5: How great lead.
Speaker 3: Actor turns in their fifties where they start to do other stuff.
Speaker 5: Rusty Crow's doing it as well. With interesting films you.
Speaker 2: Feel like they can they particularly those have had big success in a certain genre. Like you, Grant was always a romantic comedy guy, like in some of the best comedies of all time, Notting Hill and Four Winnings in particular. And so he took so long, and I think he kind of hate like I think he kind of began to hate it and dread it. So you need to get some wrinkles or something to kind of go, I can do I can do this now. I don't have to be in American because he never worked in an American Yeah, romcom.
Speaker 3: And I think audiences, if they're a fan of someone, generally speaking, just like to see them going and have having fun.
Speaker 5: In our show. There's this big one of the biggest TV shows.
Speaker 3: In the world at the moment is this Amazon Prime original show called.
Speaker 1: The Boys, which is instead of watching it at.
Speaker 3: The adaptation of a comic book about if superheroes were privatized pretty much if they work for a private company and it's the lead. The guy who play is the supermany type role in it is this key we actor called Anthony Starr, and he just turned out to be a Donna fan. And when we were making our show, we asked if he wanted to come to a cameo and he was more than happy to. And you know, he's been awesome because a lot of people his audience are just really excited to see this guy who plays such an iconic role in this TV show come and be stupid.
Speaker 1: With us people.
Speaker 3: If people become fans of someone, they like to just see them be silly and have fun. They're appreciating the actor as much as they're appreciating the role they're playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. You mentioned early on that you've got an emotional watch against a wonderful life. Yes, people might be surprised that you Paddington Too was on your list. Do you are you aware that you would you would be surprising people by its. You know, if you watch any Donna that you were a weeping mess watching the films.
Speaker 3: It's probably those two films, the ones that break me in. There's probably a few others. But yeah, if a story is told well and it's saying something nice and I get it, then I'm gone, you know, and it's a thing. There's definitely an age. I don't know what the age is, but there was some age. And often I hear it with people who have kids. As soon as you have kids, you start.
Speaker 1: So soon you have kids, man, you it gets messy, just connects.
Speaker 5: You start to connect with things you didn't connect with before.
Speaker 2: I imagine, particularly anything that involves a child being hurt or in danger that that kind of sets you up. But it doesn't have to be that. You do just become more. I've always been pretty emotional watching films, but we went up tenfold when I had kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: So that's something to look forward to.
Speaker 2: It is something to look forward to. Let's chat about it's a wonderful life. Actually, before we get onto that you studied, I mentioned in the intro you studied and your dream was to be a serious actor. Yeah, that obviously is too far gone.
Speaker 3: Now that's never happening unless I do one of those turns.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's why you're just planning that seed. Yeah, that's right. Hey, did you know Broden can do serious? He plays his drug addict, who's the president in this film? And Oscar buzz.
Speaker 2: I think, I think we have to readdress your reboot, your your cameo from It's a Day at the Heart the Hunter. What's that Hunter up to these days? But when you were, you know, dreaming that dream, did you have like films like what would have been the film that you maybe dreamt of being in? Like where I know a lot you know a lot of actresses. I know look at Sophet's choice as being one of the ones and gone like that, the Meryl Stream in that film?
Speaker 3: Yeah, was there one at all that you kind of There was never any film. But all I wanted to do all from like fifteen to the first time I stepped on stage in Anti Donna was. I just wanted to be at the Art Center in Melbourne performing the lead in a Shakespeare That's all I wanted to really, So I would have loved to have been Macbeth or Hamlet or any any big or Benedict in much ado about nothing. All I wanted to do is I love Shakespeare. I like I feel like I can translate what he says. I used to feel like I could translate what he said into a way that people understood all I wanted to do and never happened.
Speaker 1: But that I mean, and I joke that.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously that's that's gone a right, but that's that's clearly still you know, in your in your future, there's like there's no Ani. Donna is a spectacular show and group and you're but you're anyone watching that sees the range that you all actually have. You know, if you don't know any Donna, you know as far as the history, you're You're met Melbourne Uni, Ballert Uni Balerte Union.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Melbourne UNI's best friend.
Speaker 2: Distant cousin of Melbourne Uni, and you know, or dreaming of being you know, serious actors and then you you kind of found each other and became Anti Done. It's it's a fantastic story. And then you know you really worked hard and made really tough choices to get to where you are, you know, and the sacrifices. But anyone who watches Only Done you can see that it's not You're not just being silly in sketches. There are your ability to turn from being you know, for me, the being heightened or silly into like quite you know, threatening, you know, like you know when you bringing the drone music on, you know, there's a there's this you know, the one that I've mentioned to you the in the latest series on Netflix is you're playing Ellen de Generous, which is uncanny resemblance ridiculous how much so, but that kind of that turn you have of going from you know, being kind of up and about and excited to kind.
Speaker 1: Of like, you know, this is serious, now this is you know you are Ben Mendelssohn.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I think it's almost the same thing when you're doing Shakespeare, going how can I make an audience understand this? So you've got to kind of show yourself and say, I'm saying this even though you're doing a man who who's recently passed in Shakespeare and sketch like doing what we do is the same is you have a dumb little idea in your head and you find it funny, and the boys might find it funny, and it's just about going, how can I express this in a way that people are going to understand? And how can I show myself in this? So it's the same stuff, really, it's just with a much worse writer in me and.
Speaker 1: Not true, not true.
Speaker 2: I'm putting you on the same level as I appreciate William the Bard Shakespeare. Hey, let's talk into one of a life. So you got emotional. You watch it this morning, it's fresh in your mind. What did you know of this film coming into it?
Speaker 3: I knew what did I know? I knew it was Christmas, which I was watching, watching it for an hour and a half, and I was like, is this the right one? Did I watch? Did I watch the right one?
Speaker 2: I got twelve ydd on the weekend said can we watch a Christmas film? So funny enough, I'm going to watch it as wonderful life, watch it, watch it with me, And the same thing I just said to him. And at the same point I said to him, trust me, it is a Christmas film.
Speaker 3: I know it's that thing. If I think Christmas just means family and happiness and you and there's I reckon ten percent of films end with and it's Christmas. Films always just wrap up at Christmas because it's such a great point to be able to put a book end on so many things. Yeah, that surprised me. I knew it was Christmas, but Yeah, it didn't come for a long time. I knew James Stewart, and I knew that he was happy at the end, and that's all I knew.
Speaker 2: Mary Grays, Oh goodness short.
Speaker 3: Merry Christmas for me, Marry.
Speaker 4: Christmas, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 3: You wonderful belling alone?
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 2: Had you heard about like every time a bell rings? And angel when you never heard that?
Speaker 3: I thought angel gets his wings. I knew that phrase, but I didn't know it came from this. There was a lot of things I went, oh, that's from that, yeah, which was which was.
Speaker 5: Lovely it felt.
Speaker 3: I thought it might have been an adaptation of Christmas Carol, Christmas Carol. Maybe it feels like it's from the same world, but they're not the same film.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I didn't even know what You was made. And when this film was set.
Speaker 3: When it says it's set in nineteen twenty eight, I was surely this couldn't have been made in the twenties, And then obviously it wasn't. It's almost an epic. It goes over twenty thirty years or something.
Speaker 2: That's That's one of the things that I'd kind of forgotten when I was rewatching it.
Speaker 1: That how long.
Speaker 2: It's almost Forrest Gump like as far as it spans decades. We see young George Bailey and young Violent and young Mary. I think, why it's at a bit less slush shaming going on, and maybe all the way through to be honest. And then then James Stewart becomes George Bailey and we see him and none of the other characters or besides the two women, viol and Mary, but no one else seems to age.
Speaker 1: Like you got Potter the old man, He's like, how has he not died in this?
Speaker 3: And he gets a pair at some point you get it's yeah, I've thought James Stewart as a young guy. I bought it that he was young there, and then I bought it all the way to yeah to what is he forty fifty?
Speaker 2: At the end, it didn't like, it didn't bother me. And like I said, this is probably the fourth or fifth time i'd seen this film. I've watched it, you know, yeah, quite a while ago, and I had never thought of it. So it's only when I knew I was probably gonna be talking about it, I thought, you know, you start looking for things, do you think, why is Potter and the pharmacy gow why why, well, they're not aging.
Speaker 3: It's true. You get to a certain age and then you then you just stay the same for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the which is, you know, maybe possibly true the chemists.
Speaker 1: So so Joe Bailey's working at.
Speaker 2: The chemists, he reads the you got the girls there and and Mary tells him that she in his bad ear, that he's gonna she'll always love him. I'm surprised that George didn't hear that for me. She was pretty close the other year. He does work.
Speaker 3: It's very true, very true.
Speaker 2: And then he sees the telegram that the Gou's son had died, which we assume.
Speaker 1: It was the Spanish flu.
Speaker 2: Funnily enough that, yeah, well if it died from influenza, and it's like nineteen at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Spanish flu.
Speaker 1: If John does, it's a Spanish flu.
Speaker 2: And then he goes in and cops an absolute beating, which apparently the guy who played Gao was drunk at the time and.
Speaker 3: Really hitting the actor was drunk.
Speaker 2: The actor was drunk and really hitting that little boy, little boy, and apparently now apparently the blood in his ear was real. No, Now, oh my gosh, I feel like he must have really gone for a few takes. And I really whagged because that scene when I was watching it, that seemed like a prop blood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you never know with black and white. But also, this is the Shirley Temple Studios buying children age, so it's not beyond the bounds of conceivable that.
Speaker 5: They would have just helped the crap out of this kid.
Speaker 3: We've got ten more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, yeah, it was strange. And then so George Bailey and they said up. They do a good job in that kind of almost grandhog Day way of like setting up these little things like town Dog in the town and Burton Ernie, who apparently not did not inspire the the sesame street icons. They're just Burton Ernie's coincidence. Apparently they're good old people names for sure, great old people names.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the turn, the turn of the old man from whacking to just complete love and appreciation is pretty outstanding. Just complete just that's pretty much. And that kid is an incredible performer. I thought he was young George Bailey as a young actor. I don't know who he ended up being, or if he did anything, or whether he didn't survive the year.
Speaker 5: The blows to their head.
Speaker 2: I think after a pretty rough on set, he probably gave it, gave it the game enough of this, but no, he was outstanding.
Speaker 1: I thought he was good.
Speaker 2: And did you have you ever tasted poison to find out if it was poison?
Speaker 5: That was good as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I think one of the main I found this out the other day watching ABC's Australian Story. But one of the main medications for the Spanish flu was a little bit of strychnine. Oh, which was supposed to just like pep you up a little bit. Obviously, strychnine is bad for you, and don't drink strychnine. But in Australia when they when people had the Spanish flu when they were coming back from the war, one of the main medications was a little bit of strychnine.
Speaker 2: I think Trump still follows, Yes, that's right, whatever you got.
Speaker 1: Have you so many Jimmy, Jimmy stewartt films.
Speaker 3: I know I've on Rear Window was the only one i'd seen as well. He and I said it to Annie, my partner, when we were watching it. He's a kind of actor that I think films really miss, where he is clearly a leading man. He's clearly he runs that film so much, but he's also really funny, he's really quirky. He's and he's so and this isn't a film's not that old when this movie is being made. But he's so open and he's got he's still he's got all this technique is outstanding, but he's also a leading man who's a bit funny, and I don't think people get the chance to do that anymore. I think the last I watched Back to the Future the other week as well, and Michael J. Fox is the same where you trust him with the movie, but he's also almost like the comedic foil at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the closest I can think of Jimmy Stewart now is like Tom Hanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as far as being somebody.
Speaker 2: You you trust, and just the presence and there's a goodness that seems to be in him, whether he's playing that with the character or it seems to come from the man himself. Yeah, it's in when you go to the freeze frame when he first appears and he freeze frames, like you wonder. I think this podcast I kind of go some of these techniques. Sometimes I sit down and watch a classic film and I and I try to tell myself, no, this is you know, this is going to be great, you know, and it can feel like a chore getting pressing play. And then I realized, of course, this is a great film. This is why people talk about this film.
Speaker 3: I felt that That's why I didn't watch it till this morning, because I was putting it off. And that's why I never watch old films. Like very occasionally watch old films, but it's one hundred percent. You stay with the film. It's never boring, it's never lull, it has awesome film techniques, it's it's I was really really happy I was forced to watch it.
Speaker 1: Absolute my absolute pleasure.
Speaker 2: When Jimmy Stewart when he kisses somebody, he kisses their whole face.
Speaker 3: This is around cheats in the fact. Yeah, that when he's he goes over to a house and he's grumpy that he has to get married or whatever that whole scene is about, and he just kissing on the face and the cheeks and the hugs.
Speaker 5: It really is an embrace, like a full embrace.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it is not COVID safe.
Speaker 3: No, that's right.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: Let's I'll talk about that scene you just mentioned. But Donna Reid plays Mary, right, how did you find it? I found it quite She felt contemporary to me. Yeah, one or two others that escaping me in now, but she a little while back for season one and Ingrid Bergmann's in that, and Ingri Bergmann felt like she was in a film from you know, the nineteen forties.
Speaker 1: You know, it felt like she was great, but it felt where Donna Reid felt like.
Speaker 2: There was a not just a look but despite the fainting, and there was some moments where but.
Speaker 3: That's when she's an old maid.
Speaker 1: The fainting is you know, of its era. But I don't know. I really loved Donna reading this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, she's she's super open and yeah, no, I thought she was really lovely too. And you you you you fall in love with that character a bit as well, and you you know, but when it's unbelievable that when she's a maid and she comes oh she's a oh disgusting old maid, it's just the same beautiful woman with.
Speaker 5: Glasses on and her hair up, the old glasses and hair up.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, yeah, I'd love to see more of her films to be honest, did she do much else she.
Speaker 1: Wanted to ask her for from here to eternity?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, she she was had a great few years around this film, this film, and died in eighty nine, eighty four. I think I think she was doing Dynasty or Dallas one of those. Really, Yeah, that's where she she ended up.
Speaker 1: But she was great.
Speaker 2: So that scene, which is a bit weird, when when George Bailey his mom, who also enjoys a bit of open mouth kissing.
Speaker 3: His mom kisses his mom at one point, but.
Speaker 2: It's like almost a looking like really brings her in for for you know, like eye contact and kiss on the mouth, which looks for me to be open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, he's very open with it's probably yes. I do remember that the actors who.
Speaker 2: Played his mom has weirdly played his mum on five different occasions in films.
Speaker 3: You're joking, is this a is this a is RGM or what was the I think it was RGM, yes, because I saw I looked up where it was shot and was shot down in Culver City, which is yeah, the old r GM, which is not in Hollywood. It's like an hour's drive away. But it's I think I think Citizen Kane was also done there. I think Morris and Wells was an RGM guy. Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about, but they've just gone now. I think it's Sony Studios. But some of the greatest films were made in this one studio that's no longer. You can go and do tours. I lived there for six months. I went and did it sort of universal and paramount and you know all of them, and they're all the most incredible places where so much history is. And I would love to go to RGM as well, because I imagine Bedford Falls is that what Bedford Falls would still be there and to some extent or you would have been able to see where it was shot. But like at Fox, you can go and have a look with the house they made Shirley Temple to live in so that she could never leave the Fox studios.
Speaker 2: There there it is just the one bedroom another time another time it's so it was this was shut during a heat wave. Yeah, so despite the snow, and they had it. They developed a new snow technique. Up until this point, they shows snow. They would literally paint corn flakes white. Right, and but and the problem with that was it made noise, so they would have to do the audio afterwards. So Frank Capra, who made this film, decided he wanted to record the you know, the audio live, so they couldn't have the corn flex dropping to the ground. So they came up with this technique which used it was like a fire fighting kind of chemical mixed with water and then to a win machine. And that was and that kind of is the first time they actually won an Oscar for the scientific and technical contribution, Right. I imagine that would have been during the off air broadcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's early in the day.
Speaker 2: But but there you go. So that scene, so he kisses his mum in the mouth. His mum encourages him to cut his mates lunch and don't worry Sam, which we were all on board because we see Sam on the telephone and he's got another woman. He seems to be bad, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The one that opens up the pool basketball court. No, that's another guy.
Speaker 2: Sam is e or e Or who will not let go of that joke?
Speaker 3: Is he the one that goes to England? Yes and makes yes right, Okay, that makes sense because I'm awful with names in movies. Yeah, and it's so important as a twenty five thousand dollars from Sam Wainwright or wherever. I'm like, I'm googling that. I don't know who the hell that is? Yeah, so she so who the ex of Mary?
Speaker 2: So there's a bit of a look where George Bailey is still not letting it go like being cut. But yes, so okay, let's talk about the mano man moment with the pool. So that's kind of weird in itself, but that was a real that just existed.
Speaker 1: In that high school where they shot that.
Speaker 2: Really, so I think they'd this go one listen as well, let's do it because it makes no real sense.
Speaker 5: It's one of those things that I was watching.
Speaker 3: I was going, if this was if you were writing a film, now, this would be cut because it's such a divergence. It's completely unnecessary. But it's a cool moment. There's a lot of moments in this movie where for time things would have been driven to the point because you don't get to the supernatural element of this movie until twenty minutes before the ending, So there's an hour and a half where they're just kind of hanging out doing stuff, and that film that's just a lovely little fifteen minute section where they have a nice dance and fall in a pool and then they put on some football clothes and go for a walk and it's just really lovely and sweet.
Speaker 2: But I don't think you'd see that in films much anymore. You When I was watching it, I'm thinking, because obviously he came over. Now he asked Mary to dance, and she was chatting to somebody, but you know he's having a chat. Doesn't mean if she wants to dance with this and other bloke. She gets to dance with that bloke and then he cuts up a bit rough about it. And then there's another bloke. I don't know why, what investment this bloke has They that's send to me mates, and he says, you know, they're dancing over and I've got the key to this.
Speaker 5: I gave him the key as well, who are you?
Speaker 2: And then they start dancing and everyone else has noticed is this gaping chasm opening up in the middle of the dance? Law except George and Mary, and nobody tells it.
Speaker 3: They just keep clapping along. Yeah, that is that was a lot of okay. The director is that you guys have to buy in a bit here. Everyone has to buy in a bit and have really clear objectives.
Speaker 2: I wonder if this was the first movie, speaking of tropes, the first movie where it was the first all in dive into a swimming pool scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting, and that obviously is a big party boy trope in movies. Absolutely, yeah, almost famous I can think of, and there's many others. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and in suits. And Annie who was watching with her, she was like, oh, no, your phones, your your phones in your pockets.
Speaker 2: That's why you see less of those scenes there because yeah, yeah, people to get stuff out of their pockets. So then they go to they go for a walk and she's in the robe, and they go to that house where they're eventually going to Dubai. Did you there is there is? You know, we're not canceling. It's a wonderful life and or it's a wonderful film. Everyone should watch it. It's in inspiring. But there's a weirdness when Mary's naked in the bushes.
Speaker 5: And refuses to give it make a dressing gown.
Speaker 1: There's a power play going on from George Baileyan.
Speaker 6: That was a very interesting situation. Please give me my robe.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 6: Man doesn't get in a situation like this every day. I'd like to have my robe, not in Bedford Falls anyway. Ouch, George fires a little fun here, give me my robe. I've read about things like this, but I never.
Speaker 3: Shame on you.
Speaker 6: I'm going to tell your mother on you. My mother's way up in the corner there. I called their way downtown. They'd be on my side too. Maybe I could sell kick it.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 6: All the point is in order to get this robe.
Speaker 1: I've got it. I'll make a deal with you.
Speaker 4: Mary.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You just thank god his dad had a stroke and died, because otherwise he could have taken a very dark turn that film. But yeah, they just his brother just happened to know exactly where he'd be, which potentially suggests this is all a ruse and he does this all the time.
Speaker 5: But he's got Yeah, it's she's just shaking the.
Speaker 3: Bush and the and the angry man across the road who ends up being their neighbor. I imagine he just keeps yelling at them for being loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then because he has a goal at them, he says kiss kiss her for Christ's sake, And then George Bailey instead of just going okay, I Will gets mad of him. It's like, you know, you got some you got some flirting issues going on here, George.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a hanging out film. It's just it's the pool to this scene where it's just kind of hanging out. It's very Judd Apatow he you know, like just sort of walking around doing stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is interesting like that that moment where George Bailey is decide whether they give he's.
Speaker 1: You know, the gown back.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: You know, you can make the argument that by that stage is it friendly. I don't you know.
Speaker 2: If you just seriously look at canceling this film as a result of that, I think you would make the argument that George Bailey is we assume, based on what we know of him, he's not really taking advantage of this. He's just having some fun and eventually he's going to give the bound back.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's right. It doesn't expect that it'll take his father dying to go back. But that's the circumstances.
Speaker 2: The building you got, so you got the So they go there and then they throw rocks at the apparently Donna reed. Actually they got a baseball player in to throw the stone and they gave her a shot and she actually she made the break the window.
Speaker 1: Great good on, Donna Reed, good arm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you think in the film she has a good throw. She has a good.
Speaker 1: Pitch, so Donna Reed. Sorry.
Speaker 2: George Bailey, open mouthed, kisses his mum. She says, go cut Sam's lunch. He goes over, he bumps into Violet and gets, you know, he pictures this kind of weird kind of night with her going hiking or something, and she cracks the shits with him. And then and then it gets weird because we assume he's going after Mary, but he just happens to bump in the Violet and that happens, and then he goes to see Mary and he's he's shitty, yeah, and she's up. She's playing the Buffalo Girls when you come out to night song, and and then he can down the gates herumpy, yeah, grumpy.
Speaker 3: These little grumpy moments throughout the film. What these films are cool in retrospect to look back at is just like the importance of marriage to people's lives, and like you hear about it with your grandparents and things where you just had to find your wife or your husband quick and start your life married. It was so important. I think also because there was a chastity was potentially still a bigger deal back then. There's lots of other things, but yeah, there you had to lock down and you had to make some big calls in your early twenties about who you're going to be spending.
Speaker 5: The rest of your life with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And obviously George Bailey wants to go and do things with his life, and constant thing for the film is he's always being held back. But yeah, it's a funny, it's a funny moment, and it's a you know, she's very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's very nice.
Speaker 2: You got mom on the stairs who you know, she's all about Sam in New York. Yeah, in the dressing gown and he goes over and he's got his grumpy on and she's doing her best to you know, not quite seduce him, but you know, like.
Speaker 3: Just be nice, be nice.
Speaker 2: And then so they think that that phone call scene happens where Sam does call after he leaves and she's broken the vinyl, not realizing how expensive, how much will how expensive vinyl will be in the future.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Yeah, exact Buffalo girls sell for a huge, huge money.
Speaker 2: Hundreds of dollars, and he comes back and then she gets on he gets on the phone. This scene was shot and Jimmy Stewart is apparently extremely nervous about shooting this. It was the first kind of intimate scene he had shot because he.
Speaker 1: When served in the war.
Speaker 2: In World War Two, he was a pilot and served in the war, and I think I'm not sure it was his first film back from post war, but it was his first intimate scene he had shot. So he was extremely nervous about this, and I think I think they may have done anthing one in one take.
Speaker 3: It the weird kissing. He hadn't kissed anyone for years. I hate doing it too. There was a bit in our show where one of my best friends, Michelle Brazier is in the show and I had to kiss her on the hand, like, you know, like to seduce her. And I hate it, particularly if it's a friend. I can't even like, I can't even imagine having to be sincere on camera and do an emotional kiss like I would be like that, exactly the same as Jimmy. I have.
Speaker 2: So I do a serious card how to say married, and in that I married Lisa mcewn. It all started on the episode of It's a Date, and that was we enjoyed working together so much. We spun it off into they married and and writing It's.
Speaker 1: A Date episode. At the end, they was supposed to be a kiss.
Speaker 2: There's going to be a kiss, and I because I've come to acting, I feel like through a side door. Yeah, you know, I've always kind of thought, you know, acting, you know, I like the idea of acting, but it wasn't necessarily the first thing I wanted to do. I'm not trained, and I just, you know, I just have been lucky enough to do it. So my wife didn't marry an actor. Yeah, she married a guy who tells dick jokes on stage.
Speaker 3: She's just he's moved his career towards kissing kissing people. She's seen that happen exactly.
Speaker 1: She knows. She knows.
Speaker 2: I created the show, I directs some of the episodes. I produced the show, and I'm you know, I'm the lead in the show.
Speaker 3: I was talking to Luke McGregor about this the other day, about when you write a show and do exactly that and then you've got kissing in it and you're you feel so particularly as a comedian as well, where yes, where you run your empire, essentially you feel like such a grub. And but all actors, like real actors like Lisa mchune are just so professional and it does doesn't matter what.
Speaker 2: Something Lisa who will suggest it. She goes, we should they should kiss here, like and even once in the first season it happened a couple of times where it was like on set Lisa would say, I think they should kiss.
Speaker 3: Here, and I was like, oh, I think they would like that.
Speaker 2: I have so in the series of its to date instead of at the end. I was trying to avoid because it's like a one off show. So I thought, you know, I was handled this moment and then I won't have to worry about it again. And so it worked out well because Lisa's character was drunk, so we went, we go to kiss, and then she throws up on me and it's like a really funny she did.
Speaker 1: Lisa was amazing.
Speaker 2: It was a great kind of you know, explanation point to the episode.
Speaker 1: And then without knowing that it was going.
Speaker 2: To go to series so often mus in the house they married, there's about to be a kiss and it gets it gets thwarted.
Speaker 1: By by something. But we have also discussed that.
Speaker 2: You know, like if you watch something modern family, you're not like you're seeing those characters kiss all the time.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's something.
Speaker 5: So if it's a marriage, so they're never kissing.
Speaker 2: There's a bit of that, and and also that when you eventually if they do, it should mean something.
Speaker 1: Sure it should have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Brady Bunch is too much kissing, you know, like that's you know, the aspirational seventies family, like it's too happy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, I I get Jimmy in that moment, and like I can see him potentially going I'm just gonna have to go for it. And that's why it's so like just overly passionate and like there's a he went through a war energy to that to that embrace as well.
Speaker 1: I wonder what Sam was thinking on the other end because they just dropped the phone on the other end.
Speaker 2: So and then they basically they get married. They get married, and yeah, and they hop in a taxi hopping a taxi. They've got the world in front of them. They do a good job. I mean, it's it's a little bit HAMPI is at times. You know, Jimmy's the travel brochures that he gets out occasionally to show Egypt or you know, Italy that he keeps.
Speaker 1: But you know it is it is effective.
Speaker 2: It does remind me of It reminded me of if you've seen Waiting for Guffman. Yeah, is it Waiting for Guffman? Or best when when the travel agents who have never left town, isn't it they never left town? It's so good, they're great. Yes, the two things I like. That scene for me felt like when you have a.
Speaker 3: Bad dream or a nightmare where you're doing something and then you look to the right and you know, the entire cast of the Netflix my Netflix show is here and you've got to shoot it now and we haven't written the lines, you know, like it's got that you're on your honeymoon. You turn to the right and the great Depression is happening and you've got to go to work and give people money.
Speaker 5: It felt it feels like a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really affected and upset me that whole run, like, oh oh no.
Speaker 2: He's never going to get out of the Bedford Falls and so yeah, he goes there to the Building and Loan company, which is not necessarily an effective business, but it plays an important role in the community. I would say, maybe don't have a raven at the front desk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's baby business.
Speaker 2: Apparently a raven that I think that raven. I think he's called Jimmy. The raven appears in all of Frank Capra's film Post nineteen thirty eight.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 1: It's an Easter egg involved.
Speaker 3: That's really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is also the scene where the Simpsons reference that I didn't realize was a it's a wonderful life reference, which is, I don't have your money. It's earned the Bell's house, When's house, which is in some episode Jimmy Stewart just shows up at a bank when Bart's put out the rumor that the bank's run out of money, and then.
Speaker 5: Jimmy show, I don't have a remind just out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, it's a Yes, there's all these little like little things in this film, and it's why it's such. It made me cry then, as all these great things have a reason for existing. These minis Is it a book is?
Speaker 2: Apparently it was based on a Christmas card. Funnily enough, yeah, a Christmas Christmas card. But what I've read, there's a couple of conflicting stories about what I read. It was like a it was almost like a twenty one page Christmas card. So it's almost like, yeah, like a fable or something. Yeah, yeah, so, uh, it was based on that. So what moment did made you made you tear up? Was it just was it the old length sign at the end or was it.
Speaker 3: It's that idea? I think it was just looking at what the film is saying, because I think the film is obviously saying, and it's I think it's a film about potentially it's about America and looking at this year in Australia, you know, in the world in twenty twenty, and the feeling that we all have forgetting through this year and we all feel like we've survived something. Can you imagine being a human being who lived through World War One, Spanish Flu, Great Depression, World War two and you get to the other side of it and you say, we made it, and here we are and we've survived. And I think the film is saying, look what we've been through. And if you're a good person, if you're a nice person, and you look after people, we will all be okay. So essentially what the film's saying. And when I and that message, I thought was I think what brought me that lovely thought that if you are nice to people, and you are selfless and you care for people, then people will be nice.
Speaker 1: Back to you.
Speaker 3: That's just a lovely, lovely thought. But hell me, current.
Speaker 6: Got me back, got me back, I don't care what happens to me, got me back to my wife and kids.
Speaker 3: He retires, Please please, I wouldn't live again. I wouldn't live again.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't live again. Please God, let me live again.
Speaker 4: Hey, George, George, you all right?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 4: What's the matter?
Speaker 6: I get out of here? Bert, I'll hit you again.
Speaker 1: Get out of here? What the same hell you yelling for?
Speaker 6: George, George? Bert?
Speaker 1: You know me, know you you're kidding.
Speaker 6: I've been looking all over town trying to find you.
Speaker 1: I saw your car pile into.
Speaker 6: That tree down there, and I thought, maybe you Hey, your mouse bleeding?
Speaker 1: Are you sure you are right?
Speaker 4: What you My mouse bleeding bird?
Speaker 3: My mouse bleeding zuzuo pedals? There they are?
Speaker 4: Bird?
Speaker 3: What do you know about that?
Speaker 1: Rry christ Well Mary Chris Woods?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And yeah, and the impact of the individual, you know, the individual can have is is really it's You're absolutely right, it is extremely timely. It has been interesting watching movies in twenty twenty and realize and making you know, dots that obviously you know, you know, you know, you weren't there when they made the film, like Jaws is an example of Jaws is almost an example underlie the corola of like twenty twenty and how to respond to the tragedy. Do you close the beach for the sake of the economy or health? Is health versus the economy? It's exactly yes, of course.
Speaker 3: I think we've had a long time of having it pretty good, you know, at least in Australia. And it's these moments that are bigger than you are. You know, they what they do to you and the community and you as a person like profound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what do you think of Clarence.
Speaker 5: Well, he had a big impact on me because I don't know who that.
Speaker 1: Is Clarence is.
Speaker 2: Clarence played the reasoningly important role of the Angel.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, I thought he was cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought at this I wasn't buying him when he first came in and then I came around to him. I thought, actually, as I was watching it, the scene in the bar where he doesn't know a toater, I thought was a really cool performance. I really enjoyed that, that whole performance. If you if you're doing this movie now, it would be or not. You know, he's a will Smith, Robin Williams, you know, like wacky sidekick, but it's just a pleasant kind of old man. Was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because at first, when you know they're drying their clothes and he's just telling them, you know everything, I.
Speaker 1: Thought, Oh, is that the way to go? Is that?
Speaker 2: And I thought he's tactic of jumping in the water was a slightly strange one. And I do wonder George Bailey is about to end his life by jumping off the bridge. What's the difference between jumping off with the intention of ending your life and jumping in to save somebody? There's the water, no that you're going with better into you know?
Speaker 3: Well, I thought the idea of not to get too dark but to offer bridge is that you impact kills you, yes, And if you can just jump in and swim around, is that.
Speaker 5: The best way to do it?
Speaker 3: Because you know the bridge is clearly only a couple of meters and he goes he does a beautiful dive.
Speaker 2: It's a lovely points, no splash. He goes in with the hands together. Yeah, maybe maybe that's it.
Speaker 3: Did It did occur to me it later not to get too grim and they should have frozen to death. He shouldn't have been able to he would have frozen. Yeah, surely if it was if it was that cold, that it's you know, a blizzard or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's in the end up at this watchhouse where the watchman who was there, he wasn't looking out for George Bayley on the.
Speaker 1: Bridge moments earlier. But it is nicer to go back actually to the tott.
Speaker 2: One of the things they do set up is the him being deaf in one ear, because you kind of go, well, okay, that's just the little detail, and that's some stages through the film you kind of realize that maybe that he's just he's just having fun with that. But then there's a reason for there's a reason, and you can't you can't go to war. It kind of reminded me of a little mis Sunshine with Pordino's character. You can't become a pilot because he's color blind.
Speaker 5: That's yes, yes, no, that's that's off right.
Speaker 3: I thought it was just because it's a thing that they can, you know, very clearly get rid of when he becomes, when he doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, well, it is a lovely thing as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, all those things that do happen are really nicely nice.
Speaker 3: It's a nice symbol of selflessness as well. I think because he's definitely one here because he saved his brother. Yes, ye, shovel the shovel sledding looked awesome. Yeah, it would have would have hurt your bum, but.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't want to gone too many times on it. I think it's a one off kind of right.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Once Sam Sam nearly drowns, he's a brother, Harry, Harry, Harry SAMs the bloke New York. Once Harry nearly drowns, Mumpody calls everyone in. Yeah, all right, that's enough, that's enough. I told you no more.
Speaker 3: In the Frozen Lake.
Speaker 2: So George we find out that George's it works is when he finds out that you know, did did you think he took the right amount of time to believe what was going on?
Speaker 5: It's a long it was along of not buying in.
Speaker 3: Sometimes in these movies you want them to just buy in because we you know, you want you want to buy in pretty quickly back to the Future the other day, it was exactly the same way. He's walking around for a long time not buying in, Like Michael, you're in nineteen fifty five, all right, okay, just accept it. But yeah, he has gone for a long time. But it's fine. That's fine because yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Like in you know, if you're writing it, of course you're not going to make him believe it straight away. I mean it is wasting some good you know, some good scenes, I think. But yeah, the scene in the bar is at formerly Martinez now Nix and Nick the bartender.
Speaker 3: Is who is that actor? Because he's impersonated in lots of things. I feel like that, like.
Speaker 1: That get out there, Yeah calls them.
Speaker 2: He is a producer by the name of Sheldon Turner, I believe right Weirdly, funnily enough, Berton Ernie did not inspire those names for Sesame Street, but Sheldon Turner inspired two of the names in The Big Bang Theory. In Sheldon and I Believe there's a watch Big Bang Theory but there you go, there you go.
Speaker 3: So it's really fun.
Speaker 2: It is, and then you know and you find out that chemist comes in and you find out that if George Bailey wouldn't have young, George wouldn't have said.
Speaker 1: Those catlets are poison going out. So there's another This is the box.
Speaker 3: There's thirty minutes left in the film. I remember looking at it and going, this huge part of the film. If you were to make this film now, they would have made this have to have to happen at the end of the first act. Yeah, this moment, but it doesn't you And it's so rewarding because you have this. I feel like it kept you engaged enough in these just little moments and stories through George's life that when you have this fun, really awesome turn, you get all this reward from grounding it in the real world. I thought it was fun. Yeah, the payoffs are huge.
Speaker 2: I kind of thought when he got to the car, or that the car wasn't there and the tree hadn't been hit, that was probably the moment where you thought, Okay, I think I'm I'm on board here.
Speaker 3: This is when the car when he hits the car into the tree and the guy goes, this is a good you ruin my good tree. I was like, this is a very like nineteen forties, you know, things are okay kind of time, like.
Speaker 2: Great grandfather planted that he ruined my good tree, and we you know, and Potter Bedford falls in that is Pottersville and the buildings and loans is no more.
Speaker 3: Why was it called Pottersville? Now I missed that well, I imagine because Potter he now owns the town. He owns, you know, owns it all right, So he's become a super super villain.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's mister Burns.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I keep going back to Back to the future, but he's become biff Land.
Speaker 1: There is nothing wrong with going back to the back of the future.
Speaker 2: And I think Mark Bailey doesn't recognize him. Harry Harry died because he wasn't there to rescue him from the you know. In he goes to the cemetery, there's a nice little easter egg. The movie that's playing is The Bells of Saint Mary, which started being crosby Ingrid Bergman and Henry Travers.
Speaker 1: Henry Travers is Clarence the angel in the movie.
Speaker 5: Is that in Pottersville? Or is that in when it's Bedford Falls.
Speaker 1: That is. I think it's actually when it becomes Bedford Falls again.
Speaker 3: Right, because I was going to say when he goes through the town and everything's a everything's.
Speaker 1: A strip club or a launch shop or.
Speaker 3: The place really takes a really bad time just you know, it's just very sex positive. You could argue that, you know, Pottersville has just really open the sexuality now and you know it's just it's.
Speaker 2: So, is there something you would revisit again? Is there something you were going to go back to, you know, you know when you have kids, or.
Speaker 3: Is it never? Never the uncle never take eight grand in an envelope and then just start picking up newspapers and stuff and then give it to the most evil man in town. Never do that.
Speaker 2: It is it is a warning against nepotism. Uncle Billy should not be trusted. Interestingly, it never gets resolved, does it, No, Like you don't, he never gets his come up.
Speaker 3: And no, I thought it was interesting that the last time you see him is George just saying and it's probably a nice message if you were to show it to kids. Is just he just says Merry Christmas to him through the window, And that's it just ends on all the best to you. Yeah, And I think that's the nicest thing is so often through the film, just the way that James Stewart handles himself as just this pleasant, lovely man who just wants to help people, and that he you know, is the nice message of the film. But also that film that the bank scene just like deeply deeply upset me. Oh no, no, no, just the.
Speaker 1: Uncle Billy loses the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, yeah, and he took him a while to realize too.
Speaker 4: Is it that?
Speaker 2: And he never quite clicked that. He went back and he's looking under the desk and he never quite clicked. Okay, I did speak to that. I never mentioned it to anyone. I spoke the potter. Maybe that was clearly when you're a newspaper you should he's going down the street. The one thing I was curious about, and maybe it's result in the film, but I missed it, is he does James Stewart just have like because he needs eight grand to cover the loss, and then I feel like people bring him more than enough like money, so like maybe like say they the town brought like five grand.
Speaker 5: Let's be safe, right.
Speaker 3: And then the Sam Wainwright gives him twenty five grands, So now he's what, he's twenty two grand up, making a killer, he's in twenty two and then the does the bank man come over and he rips up the debt as well, So now he's thirty grand up? Is that right? And why if he was going to jail for something as serious as being eight grand in debt, why why is he so he just has friends come over and the guy's are, oh, may as well just not have eight grand? Is that what happened?
Speaker 1: I think that's what happened.
Speaker 5: So he ends up thirty grand up.
Speaker 3: Like if all the people who are being generous, they're generalerosity was enough for them to tear up the debts, so you should all just take your money home again mate, And he's twenty five grand up from the ex boyfriend, Like, so is that what happened?
Speaker 1: I think that's what happened.
Speaker 3: That's great, Well, that's awesome that he's just rich.
Speaker 1: Now that's why you should you should host Christmas parties.
Speaker 3: But he should have been more careful, like just like, don't tell him about the twenty five grand yet, wait till everyone leaves, because we'll get all this money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't read out the twenty five grand and say, oh, it's just a note from Sam. He just wants to say Merry Christmas. Yeah, let's put it in my pocket. That's really good. That's twenty five grand in nineteen forty six, is what like?
Speaker 1: Well, the when Potter offers him, what is Potter offer him?
Speaker 5: He obfers him. Is it what he offers him? At twenty grand?
Speaker 1: Job a year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a year, and that I think works out to be, judging with inflation, something like three hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Good job, good job.
Speaker 2: So Sam has just given him three hundred He owes he eighth grand, which might have been fifty ground these days, and he ends up with around just from Sam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's done very well.
Speaker 5: Yes, but he's been selfless.
Speaker 3: He took his two grand that he was going to have on his entire holiday and gave it back to the community and everything.
Speaker 2: So he does deserve a good break. Nobody feels bad about George landing on his feet. The old Lang sign is that song. I have an emotional reaction to it. I don't know why. Yeah, but that song, more than any of the carols or the older songs, gets me for some reason.
Speaker 3: When Harry met Sally. It's the end of When Harry Met Sally as well, And.
Speaker 2: It's in a little movie I used to watch a lot, Can't Buy Me Love with Patrick Dempsey, and there's just a scene where everything is hit kind of rock bottom. He's been kind of found out and he's walking around looking into other New Year's Eve parties and with a little bit misty eyed and old Lang signs playing. And maybe that was the first time I saw it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was.
Speaker 2: It's a Wonderful life actually because I watched it when I was quite I was quite young, But that that song.
Speaker 5: It's Christmas as well, all Christmas.
Speaker 3: It's why Christmas is so special, is it's nostalgia and connection and family and these song songs and pieces of art, it just like really bottle them. Yeah, the closest we can get to bottling moments, and so, yeah, songs like that just bring up so many things. Every Christmas song, yeah, even and often it can just be from an ad or something like that, and you carry it forever.
Speaker 1: So definitely you understand why it's a classic.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent. I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, what would you do if you remade this film, how would you go about it? But I think it genuinely just holds up and you wouldn't even dare. I think it's huge testament to I think James Stewart is an actor, and how much longevity it has and and but yeah, I thought it was really really cool and it's I was surprised at how interesting the storytelling was and how different the storytelling was and how often you just don't see films that anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we let you go Arnie Donald's Big Old House of Fun. Congratulations. I know we had used on it, but it is.
Speaker 1: We do it.
Speaker 3: We do a Christmas turn. I was just thinking like this film as well, where one episode we just end and it's Christmas, so you know, we're just like, it's a wonderful life.
Speaker 2: What was what was the experience like going over there? I know it was it was to have this experience. I know you had to keep it quiet. Yeah, for a long time, but.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, that you'll you'll appreciate this.
Speaker 3: But we we've got the call from Netflix like two years ago saying hey, this is on, and we couldn't tell people. Took a year to start happening. And then another year to make it and we couldn't talk about it. I couldn't talk about it till November, so a month ago, and just being able to not walk around. Our fan base is going whit you're making content anymore. We're going mate. We have so much content about to come out. But it was an incredible experience. Like all we've wanted to do since we start was make a TV show. We grew up loving comedy shows and you know, Ski House and other shows, and and that's all we've ever wanted to do, and it's been hard to try and get to that point. And this was the best version of it. We've got flown to America who were given houses and cars and like just wrote comedy and put it on and had a really nice budget for it.
Speaker 5: We got to do exactly what we wanted.
Speaker 3: We had a weird Ol Yankovic and all these other idols we looked up to in the show, and it was it was sometimes when you make a TV show, you've got to kind of change your voice or broaden it, or do something a little bit different than what you've done in the past. And we were allowed to just make like our show that was really just our voice and that was the coolest thing to do. So we have the show out now and you know, the response has been really lovely and positive and I'm proud to say that it's I'm proud of it too, and I like what we made.
Speaker 2: You should be anything and then talk about making it keeping it in Arnie Donna's voice, even though you know you're making it for Netflix and it's going to go out around the world. Still you know, Nain jobbing, Grant DNA. Yeah, it's all these obviously very Australian references that.
Speaker 3: You've kept, Yeah, because like it matters to people from Australia that we are Australian and it matters that they hear their voice in comedy. And for people ever sees, they're just like, I don't know what they're talking about, but I like the energy of it. A lot of the time we've been talking out for there's there's a thing that maybe you'll only understand, but we throw away to a prize. You know what prizes does this person get? And it's literally just doing the Sunday Morning Footy Show, lose handball prizes like a quilla shoes four and twenty pive and it's literally for like dorks who watched the handball competition on Sunday mornings on the Footy Show in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: It is so great.
Speaker 2: It is great that, you know, despite the pandemic and despite you know, often I have experience experience, but you've got the phone call saying we make Netflix's you know, we're doing this. I had a similar call with it's a date that HBO like HBO we're taking it on and with Sarah Jessica Parker's production company.
Speaker 1: So I remember where I was.
Speaker 2: I was on the way to the project and I pulled over and you know, I had I had, you know, the one of the producers from that company say, you know, you're you're welcome to HBO.
Speaker 1: You're we're doing a HBO show. And I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't really go and tell everyone because you know, he's still you know, it's yeah, of course, and they just through, we got writers on board and and they just we couldn't quite agree on the script. And then then there's a changing of the guard of HBO and it kind of just kind of it got and eventually and they you know, we there was all these cuts at HBO as far as like projects that they kind of whenever a new person comes on, it's it's dangerous because they want they want to kind of clear the slate to an extent. And so they were like, listen, we already have you know, Vice Principles and Veep and Silicon Valley shows. We think are going to run for the next few years. We don't think it's a date. We'll be up in the next two years, so go explore, yeah, other options, and we you know, we had we had interests were popped for a little while, which does shit's creak and it just and it just has like ping balled around and it's like that for that moment. Yeah, so I'm so stoked for you guys to have that moment and the spider pandemic actually go and do it.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 3: We were very, very very lucky. It was It literally is with Hollywood. It's such a up in the air, one in a million chants with those people sometimes and like exactly that like we had moments where I was like, oh, maybe it might not happen now, and then it was back on and it was literally two years of gut gut clenched, like churning of just like, hope this just falls somewhere and we can do this. So yeah, people are like to us, like, oh, you're going to make a season two is like mate, getting to this point was that's I'm just happy we got to this point.
Speaker 1: It's sometimes that's with how to stay married.
Speaker 2: Like we got on, you know, a commercial network with a half hour sitcom, which hasn't happened in so long, and I was just like, I just want to get you know, if we get a second season. I mean, I did one a second season, but I was like, you know, I'm grateful that we got a first one. We kind of had a weird kind of first season where we were at the end of rating, so we kind of the first few weeks were great and then rating so we lost all our support around the show, like mass Chef kind of wasn't on anymore, and we kind of dipped a bit, and.
Speaker 1: We're like, oh, we're going to get the second season.
Speaker 2: We got one the second season, and I said my manager, there's no expectation of a third season because the sitcom on a strained television on the network just doesn't happen. And we got and and we second season went really well. So we're now shooting in feb for a third season. Awesome, and it's and again it's like, I can't quite believe it's happening because the last Austraiants sitcom on a commercial.
Speaker 1: Network and it was it was a crop I think it was a cropliss.
Speaker 5: Now that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Which is like, which is I was doing a joke and my joke was maybe three years old.
Speaker 2: Jo, it really was, and those around that time. And this is not including Kathin King, which went from the ABC and then with the Channel seven for a year or two. Like that's not including that, but as far as starting on a commercial network and you had because you had Hey Dad, and then altogether now and the Cropolis now and then like nothing after that. Yeah, it's it's I would love to see us make more scripted comedy.
Speaker 3: That would be awesome.
Speaker 1: But congratulates, but it is.
Speaker 2: It is a fantastic Serieseter get on Netflix only done his big old House of Fun. You've got celebrity cameos from Jerry Seinfeld and generous.
Speaker 1: It is Razario.
Speaker 2: Dawson, who is one always awesome but has had a big week because you appeared in the Mandalorian and nailed it. I'm not sure you're a Mandalorian. No, but in a big in a big role, which is highly anticipated by fans. She smashed it.
Speaker 5: Oh really, I do want to watch Magdala, a.
Speaker 2: Character who has only been in the animated series of Star Wars has never been in live action.
Speaker 3: Which which series animated series? We just one of the animated One of the comic writers of Star Wars reached out and said he was a fan the other day, so we're.
Speaker 1: Trying to right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's it's because I don't watch the animation is either it's either rebels or clone walks.
Speaker 3: So I think that's gonna be my Christmas watch Mandalorian because there's new good movies coming out, and usually I want to watch something cooler.
Speaker 2: In Mandlorian is great. Thank you mate for watching, you for doing your homework. You got it interesting time.
Speaker 3: If you haven't watched it, watch it at Christmas. Is an awesome watch. I'm really happy I did.
Speaker 2: Thanks mate, that was a whole bunch of fun with Browden CALLI. Oh there you go, he got his wings. Congratulations Broden. Thanks for joining us. That's a little bit of a reward for doing your homework and watching It's a Wonderful Life for us on you ain't seen nothing yet. I just want to also point out I forgot to mention it when I was chatting the broad and that It's a Wonderful Life actually bombed tanked at the box office when it opened in nineteen forty six, and it kind of disappeared for a while from public consciousness because it had all these copyright issues and as a result, it was didn't really appear much until the copyright issues were kind of resolved and it became available in the seventies and PBS I think we're the first to jump jump in on it, and because it was basically free, the other networks were you know, buying up more expensive fair and they were able to play It's a Wonderful Life, and slowly it kind of kind of found its audience and people started discovering it, and the word of mouth grew and then eventually, you know, all the networks were playing it until of the nineties. I think it was where NBC officially purchased the rights for its A Wonderful Life and now played I think twice a year between Christmas and year.
Speaker 1: Also, there's another bit of information. It was interesting.
Speaker 2: I thought, which I forgot to mention, was that in the original script there was actually no Potter character. When George Bailey went back, he actually it wasn't Potter. It was like an evil version of himself. It was like an evil George Bailey. So that was I also thought it was interesting. I want to thank everyone for your letters. I had a wonderful letter from cath Upham and I just want to read some of this out. Hey, Pete, I'm really enjoying your Yasny podcast.
Speaker 1: Recently.
Speaker 2: I was listening to an episode while I was walking my dog as I usually do, and I was around a time of the twelvemonth anniversary of my mum's death, which got me thinking of my movie experiences with mum. One I thought Old Share is a classic sibling tale. The first movie I ever saw at a cinema was Et I was eight years old. It was in regional Queensland. It was a big deal because she graub in regional Queensland on the sugar cane farm, and there were so many hurdles to overcome from being allowed to go, who would take me, how to get into town? Very common themes growing up in regional Australia. So one of my older brothers was home from college at the time and he volunteered to take me to see the movie. It was a Friday night. Our town of Childers only showed movies on a Friday night, always a double feature, usually a kid's movie first, followed by an adult movie so the younger kids could get collected at intermission. So off I go with my brother. He was under strict instructions from my parents to look after me, so he takes me to the cinema, walks around until I point out some kids I know from school, so he takes the opportunity and deposits me with them and says, I'm going to the pub now, I'll meet you at the front at intermission. Never breathe a word of this to Mum if she asked, I was with you the whole time, and I never did tell Mum because it was the best night ever being left unsupervised. And why would you ever risk that happening again if you ever find yourself doing a road tip in Queensland. That theater we saw my first movie and every movie there after until I left home for UNI. It's the nineteen twenties heritage classic that you should visit. It still has the canvas seats and a slope wooden floor that we did use to roll jaffers and coke bottles down during the movies. It's called the Paragon Theater. It's in Childers, which you may know from the Tragic Backpack of Fire and for movie fans, it is a pretty amazing piece of history. You can check it out at Paragontheater dot com dot au. It does look absolutely beautiful. I would love to visit there. Thanks for doing the podcast. It sparks joy cheers, Kat.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Kat.
Speaker 2: That is a wonderful email to get. You can get me at Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com. I hope you're enjoying it. I'm loving the reaction and the community we are building with this. Yes, I think Derek Mai is my podcast manager Caswaystudios dot com dot au. If you trying to get that podcast up and running, Derek is the man to speak to. And lastly, I just want to wish everyone a very merry Christmas. What a dumpster fire of a year it has been, but I just want to say we got through it and we deserve to be around at Christmas table together with our families and friends and loved ones. So let's have a big one. I was really keen to do its Wonderful Life for Christmas. So I'm glad we've done that, and yeah, have the best Christmas imaginable. And the podcast will be going through. It will be another episode next week, So this is not wrapping up, but I just want to say, in case I forget to say next week, have a great Christmas period and keep safe. Next week on You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, this is the one we've been waiting for. I know a lot of fans of the show and fans of this man have been requesting him, and we have done it.
Speaker 1: Next week on You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.
Speaker 2: Mister Tony Martin, he is a film nerd an encyclopedic knowledge of film history. Many people said, I'm sure, I'm sure he's seen every film. It'll be impossible for him to nominate one. Well, he has and the film Tony Martin will be discussing next week on this very podcast is nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: Is top Gun?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: How will Tony Martin go with MAV and Goose? Will he feel the need the need for speed will find out on the next episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet until then having to everyone and take care of yourselves. And so we leave all Pete save fan Sul and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.
Speaker 1: Merry Christmas. Happen you here?
Speaker 3: Christmas? Christmas, Christmas Christmas.
Speaker 6: It's Christmas Eve, It's Christmas Eve.
Speaker 3: I'm very merry Christmas.
Speaker 4: Merry Christmas, you mother, Christmas