Speaker 1: Now we have such a feel good story for you today. There is a woman. Her name is Betty Woodhams, and she has just recently turned one hundred years old.
Speaker 2: She actually looks incredible, she doesn't she undy given sixty five draconck it. I don't know great.
Speaker 1: She's definitely been punching some vittom, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: She always wears a hat, she said.
Speaker 1: So I really love this. I read this article like just the other day, and I thought it was very sweet, because often you get some real batty advice from people who have made it to the old century. But I think Betty's advice around how to live life and how to lean into like the really great moments of life is something that we can all take a bit of advice from. One of the quotes that she had to say was her happiness in life over the last century has been about great friends, a balanced diet, no regrets, and always wearing a hat. She says, try to stay happy even when things may seem like they are getting the better of you. There really is something good in everything. Relaxing with a glass of wine at dinner, or enjoying the odd champagne with a friend or two always helps as well.
Speaker 2: Sounds like she's really lived alive. Like she's just saying friends, wine, chocolate. That sounds brilliant, but she always she said, she has like really good food too. So she said, I eat everything, more chocolate than I should. I drink full cream milk as well, and wine with dinner every single night. Go Off, Betty, Betty, go off. I have not had full cream milk. Do you know this is my problem? I'm going to diet fifty. I've not had full cream milk my entire life. I've never drunk milk.
Speaker 1: I don't think full cream milk is the elixa to whether you make it to a hundred or not bread. It gives you gastro So I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 2: Calcium for strong bones. That's really important for aging.
Speaker 1: The reason why I liked this is because I think often we get so caught up in stuff as we're like in our thirties or our forties or our fifties, and the things that you worry about are not the things that matter when you make it to ripe old age, if you're lucky enough to make it to that age. And like her talking about how she's enjoyed all different kinds of food, how she's been able to enjoy her life without it being about the certain way that she looked or how she presented to other people. You know, when you're in your thirties, you look back on your twenties and you go, God, I wish I appreciated how hot I was in my twenties, And when you're in your forties, you no.
Speaker 2: But it's true because like, have you seen me in my.
Speaker 1: Twenty When you're young, you can never appreciate like how lucky you are to be the version of yourself that you are then, And it's only with the beauty of hindsight that you go, oh wow, Like, you know, I wish I had the ability to appreciate those years more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember some advice that I heard from somewhere. I think of someone famous. I don't think anyone told it to me. It's like, if you're not going to care about it or remember it, or it's not going to be an issue in five years, don't let it be an issue now. And I think that that is really rings true when you think of the things that get you down, Like sometimes think of how much getting stuck in traffic in the morning or road rage. You think of how much I can throw you off your whole day. It's such a stupid little thing when you think about it. Are you gonna think about it next week or in five years? No, but we do let ourselves dwell on it.
Speaker 1: But also imagine getting to one hundred years old and being able to confidently say that you don't have any regrets about how you live life. It's like, what a joy that is. I had a really interesting conversation recently with Dave hughes who so many of you will know Hughesy. He was just an I'm a celebrity, get me out of here, and when I was over there in Africa, we were on a bus trip on the way back from shooting one day and he said, like, one of the best things about him doing comedy is that it's given him this incredible sense to be able to really appreciate when life doesn't go to plan and when life is actually a little bit shit, because great things can still come from it, like whether it's funny content or turning it into a skit. There's always moments from every single thing that you experience in life that you can look at from a positive way, even if it is totally not what you had planned for your life, and even if it's not in any way a good experience, but there's often this little silver slither lining in there as well. You know what else I love or other quota I love, oh God, eat, pray love.
Speaker 2: No, he's just on the edge of my tongue. Oh we're we're all waiting, or you threw me hang on one's risk it for the biscuit. But that's not what I was thinking.
Speaker 1: No, I've got it. Great.
Speaker 2: Life isn't a dress rehearsal. It's the show. This is the show. Now, there's no dress rehearsal. There's no second chance. It's like, you got to live your life. But before we wrap this up, I do want to say the best part about this for me is when you think, like, how would I spend my hundredth birthday? She went and did her favorite thing to do in the world, which is go plant shopping at Bunnings. And I just think that that is the most wholesome, beautiful thing, and so I think that's what you would do if you're a hundred long.
Speaker 1: I do it now, Yeah, I mean I'll do that for my fortieth it's coming up next year.