Speaker 1: Get everyone Sam here. We have a really interesting guest coming in today, a guy by the name of Lucas who is a biohacker. So he's got a business called boost Your Biology, and it's really interesting. Even saying this to you now before we meet Lucas, I'm still.
Speaker 2: Not really sure what a bio hacker is.
Speaker 1: So we're going to go on an exploration and we're going to find that out together. But you know, I'm really interested in all these little one percenters or five percenters or a little ways out there that you can make improvements, particularly if it's in a sphere or a space that I'm not an expert in. I'm really sort of fascinating the way I dive down these little rabbit holes. And you know, for me, I think, and I'll have this discussion with Lucas when he comes in. I tend to think sometimes that biohacking, in inverted commas and these kind of hacks can sometimes be just hooks or tricks to grab you or get you in or perhaps take advantage of unsuspected the uneducated people, and the actual substance to what these people are talking about is questionable. Whereas this guy really in my mind seems to really know what he's talking about. Really interesting space, and I can't wait to dive into it with him, and we're going to dive into it together.
Speaker 2: So that is what's coming up.
Speaker 1: First of all, on today's Wodlife episode, We've got a question that had come through regarding you know, I've seen his person on TikTok and are they right or are they wrong? Or you know, should I be wary about this stuff? So we're going to dive into that who you should trust or how you should perhaps cast some criteria over the people that you're listening to to sort of decipher whether they are or aren't.
Speaker 2: The right person for you.
Speaker 1: And then I'm going to give you a little list of some of my favorites for you to look out for and maybe follow them on socials or go to their website because there's some brilliant information out there from some brilliant people and it's a.
Speaker 2: Great opportunity to share that information.
Speaker 3: So that's coming up next on The Goodlife.
Speaker 2: So here he is.
Speaker 1: He's in the studio, Lucas Owen. Welcome to the wood Life. I'll just give your heads up, mate, because before you popped into the studio. I just gave my listeners a bit of a heads up that you're a biohacker, and I don't really know what a biohacker is, so I'm kind of learning with the listeners today, so I'll give them a little bit of a background. So you've got a business called Boost your Biology. You're this globally recognized biohacker. You're on so for those that have never heard of Ben Greenfield's he'd be considered in the top three biohackers in the world. You were a guest on his podcast a couple of years ago and your business sort of took off into.
Speaker 2: The stratosphere since then.
Speaker 1: A lot of people I've heard talk about you as kind of the author on supplements and in Australia, probably the guy that knows the most about supplements, particularly the less common supplements. Maybe got a degree into tropathy. You're a Melbourne based guy, so welcome to.
Speaker 2: The wood life.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's sincerely when I say two things, it's great to have you here.
Speaker 2: And what's a biohacker?
Speaker 4: Oh? Thanks, Sam, Well, that's a warm introduction. Ball Yeah, pretty much. That's what I love to do, is create health information and health content that's gonna reach millions of people and just provide really cutting edge bio hacks that can benefit numerous people around the world. And so, like you said before, most people probably hear about the term biohacker. Yeah, and they think, you know, what is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't really even know.
Speaker 1: And I've been on this to twenty five years, so a lot of errands you'll be like, what is it.
Speaker 4: Well, for your audience, I'd say like a lot of them might be familiar with Andrew Huberman Andrew Human, Yes, so I'd say like he's like the leader in that sort of health optimization space, and so bi hacking is all encompassing looking at nutrition, sleep, stress management, exercise, things like that to basically improve and optimize your health and well being.
Speaker 1: So I love Andrew because he shuts people down, He destroys peanuts on the internet, giving people really bad misinformation, and he with all these degrees and his wealth of knowledge, and he's just the best.
Speaker 2: Goes.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's have a look at what this guy's telling people to sell a crap product, and let's put flames on this because it's just it irks him that this person's trying to take advantage of people, make money by giving people misinformation, and then he gives them the correct information.
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 1: How did you sort of get into this by a hacking space, Like, what's your story?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 2: I think that's that's interesting to find out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I always had a goal to be a professional soccer player, so I was very interested in ways your own benefits those one exactly. Yeah, that's interested in ways that I could optimize my performance on the soccer field. At the time, I was working in my dad's pharmacy, So my dad's are farcists, so I was sort of exposed to that side of like, you know, medications and how they work and understanding things like that. And really I just fell in love with the whole idea of self experimentation and understanding various pathways within the body, understanding you know, the biological consequences of different supplements, different nutrition hacks. And then I decided, well, hang on a lot of the things that I'm doing right now is literally in line with what a natural path focuses on, which is like the root cause, you know, addressing diet, addressing sleep, all of the foundations that we see as like preventative health was very much in line with how I was living and also preaching. So I had the choice of going down the path of either you know, becoming a pharmacist like my dad, or going down more of the natural holistic route, and I chose the natural holistic route.
Speaker 2: Do you still only stay in that lane or now you're a bit more open to both.
Speaker 4: I'm very open to both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tell you were.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The goal is to like, we're trying to achieve optimal health. What is the best tool in our toolkit to do that. It might be a medication which is a single handed, targeted approach, or it might be a lifestyle intervention that's more of a broad having a broad effect sort of thing. But yeah, I'm definitely like yourself, like sort of in the middle. I like to leverage both. If I have to refer clients to a higher level specialist or a doctor, I will do that where I see fit.
Speaker 2: And it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get people love the one percenters because it's sometimes a great scapegoat to not address the real foundational issues, you know, like I don't exercise, I don't eat well, I don't sleep. But Sam, what's credatine, Like you know, it's like, well, it's good and it will help, but you don't really even work out yet, or you know, your diet's horrendous, you know, like I don't think you need to worry about ice baths and creatine yet. You know it's so there's got to build the foundation first, don't you. Like, if you've got your fundamentals down, pat and you're a good you're a really solid, consistent eight out of ten, Well let's become a nine and a half out of ten by building other layers with these beautiful little biohacks for optimal health.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's well said. I mean, that's definitely the approach that I like to enforce is like, yeah, make sure you dial in the basics first, and then you can come to me, have a look at my content binge on my staff, and then you get the one percent.
Speaker 1: Is what's the biggest misconception about biohacking that you experience?
Speaker 4: So the biggest one is whether or not biohacking is evidence based, whether or not it's actually legitimate, or whether or not it's like placebo, which is a fair statement. A lot of people like, oh, what you do that but is there any research behind that, does it even prove that it works? And I say, sure, like that's my mission has always been to showcase things that are literally, like scientifically backed and proven and dig deep for the research articles. And now Fortune League guys like doctor Andrew Hopeman's legitimizing the things that are somewhat fringe. He's like actually saying these things actually do have some robust evidence.
Speaker 1: So I just wanted to give everyone it's a bit of a background because I think there would be some cynical, skeptical people out there that naturally and I think it's important to sort of show them that there's a there's a real level of trust here. And I wouldn't have got you on the show otherwise. What's happening in the world of bio hacking, what are the what's the biggest trend at the moment? And if you had to look into your crystal ball for let's say twenty twenty five, what's going to be the thing now that everyone's talking about that very few people are now.
Speaker 2: And that's two questions in one.
Speaker 4: Well, I would say I love the question because I love being on the cutting edge of what's new in the forefront of science and supplements and things like that. The one space I'm really excited to see more, Like what I think will be really popular in twenty twenty five ish will be the field of psychobiotics, So specific probiotics that work on you know how they say the gut is the second brain, like that sort of saying, or specific probiotics that can affect the brain and significantly affect various aspects of cognition. So whether that be like.
Speaker 1: And they're personalized to the individual based on their personality.
Speaker 4: Type or based upon their microbiome, right, yeah, because that field is like probably the most heavily invested space. Yeah, microbiome.
Speaker 2: Okay, got health brain health connection. I love that. So what did you call it? Psychobotics? Yeah?
Speaker 4: They call them psychobiotics.
Speaker 1: So well, yeah, I knew there'd be something that I'd never heard. I'd never heard the term. I mean, I get the concept. Principally, I understand the concept. But there you go look, look and listen and learn. Is there an authority in that space that you look up to at the moment.
Speaker 4: There is a guy called Jason Horolek. He has a website called probotic Advisor dot com. So he's a great resource. Interesting, I've had him on my podcast a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Right, great resource, let's check that out.
Speaker 2: I always think the best test is what do you.
Speaker 1: Do religiously that you are shocked or it frustrates you that very few Australian people do and you think their nuts.
Speaker 2: To not be doing it?
Speaker 4: All right, So it would have to be wearing blue blocking glasses before bedtime? Okay, simple, such a basic bar check for.
Speaker 1: How as in while you're on your screen, or you put them on and lie down and not look at any screens.
Speaker 4: So I usually put them on at like six thirty seven PM and.
Speaker 2: Just wear them around.
Speaker 4: You might look like like an X man, just cruise around the house. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. My kids would dress up with that.
Speaker 4: I would love that.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. I'm telling you it'll be like X men at my house. Would be very cool.
Speaker 1: So you say you go to bed at ten o'clock. Yep, you're cooking dinner. You're wearing your glasses.
Speaker 4: Don't know if the steaks are over on that that's right.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you gotta lift them out just to check the check the food's been cooked.
Speaker 2: Correctly. And what's the benefit.
Speaker 4: Of these The main benefit is improved sleep, yeah, right, And the way in which they work is basically they filter out the blue light and the blue light blue slash white spectrum of light is what blocks the production of malatonin. And so instead of we just overstimulate ourselves right to that second that our head hits the pillow, we're doing ourselves a huge disservice with the quality of our sleeps. Yeah. And you see, the main complaint of Aussies and even like us citizens is lack of energy, and so lack of energy comes off fatigue or they can't get up with our coffee. Like it's sleep is a high priority.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for those that can't see Lucus obviously, because we're an audio medium, very very healthy fit well like how.
Speaker 2: Old have you done my math?
Speaker 4: Twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like he just he's beaming, like his face, he's skin like everything.
Speaker 2: He looks like it's.
Speaker 1: One of the healthiest human beings you'll ever sort of come across. So where do we get these glasses?
Speaker 4: First of all, so there's a already of vendors, just one on there's Anussy vendor block blue light dot com.
Speaker 2: Dot blue light. Okay, there you go. Their business has just gone through the roof bank. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: So I've never I've never done that, never done that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's a good one. That's like a sleep biohack.
Speaker 2: I'm just sort of thing, what are your top couple that you do?
Speaker 4: And so I'd say something basic that's like, I'm not really a bihack, but it sort of took off during the COVID period, which is like walking, treadmill desk. Yeah, so just getting on the trip, like getting steps in walking work. Yeah, it's so underrated.
Speaker 2: And this I guess this is the thing with hacks. It would be so fascinating to hear our.
Speaker 1: Audience share that they would not call themselves bio hackers. They probably wouldn't even call these things hacks. It's just I just do that because it.
Speaker 2: Makes me feel better, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we'd all have ten little things that perhaps we don't even realize that we do.
Speaker 4: Getting up in the morning is ideally within the first hours, getting exposed to sunlight or some sort of light like that's a it's so base, but like surprisingly that can have such a profound effect on mood, energy, well being, and also helping sleep that night because if you deliberately expose your face to sunlight in the morning within one hour, it actually helps with that nighttime secretion of malatonin. So you'll see. That's the other thing with the bar hacking space is like sometimes we get extremely meticulous with tracking like health trackers, a HIV.
Speaker 2: See you're a big fan of whoops and all these other.
Speaker 4: Things to a degree, like I want to be like, I don't want them to dictate my life, you know, because otherwise, you know, you'll fall victim to tech dominating your like it.
Speaker 1: Having passed you by, and you'll be you'll be delved into your dashboard exactly, you'll miss it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it can be good as like a short term thing. You might say I want to wear I want to wear a whoop or something, or an ordering for like three months, learn about the data, and then divorced, get divorce.
Speaker 2: Can't take the thing. It's too much. It's become a part of it.
Speaker 1: Even am accounting calorie perspective, Like I'm not a huge calorie account advocate because I do think it becomes an unhealthy obsession with that thinking your food as a number rather than the nutritional value. But if you have zero idea what calorie intake is in most foods, it can be a really worthwhile four week exercise exactly. Yeah, we're on the same page. What about what about the differences for men and women? Like, are there are there hacks that you typically would only recommend to a female or typically only recommend to a male, or or most of the time it is this will improve this will create optimal health, or put you closer to optimal health for everybody.
Speaker 4: Well, there's one thing that's absolutely a fact, and that is that, like women are heavily neglected in clinical trials and scientific studies. There's like they why, It's due to their hormonal balance, like their mental cycle.
Speaker 1: So as a consequence, does that mean females are missing out on some hack specific to them because the results are biased towards men.
Speaker 4: That's possible. It's also like when it comes to like dosages for different stuffs, think about they've all done it on men who are usually like between the weight of like even the weight aspect is yeah, usually like that. So yeah, I think but in general, like the things that I talk about mostly and this is I decided to pivot about two years ago when my brother came on board and helped with my branding and stuff like that. He said, look, you're good at you're great at sharing health hacks across like for everyone, but you need to really niche down. And that's when I decided to go purely men's health and optimize men. And that's like an area because I can relate to them and I've studied that more. Plus I prefer to refer women to some other brilliant sure like women like better understand exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean if you try to be everything to everyone, you end up being nothing to know one. I'm a big fan that for sure. It's what's the because you've got this supplement reputation. There's still a supplement reputation. You remissied me to not finish with the question what supplement or you can have two. I'll give you no more than two. What supplements do you take if not daily, weekly and you.
Speaker 4: Swear by them without thinking twice? It's the amino acid touring.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, there you go, so that I love that. I thought you might say something really common and I was like, interesting, but it's not. It's not new for our audience, So turing okay, tell us about touring.
Speaker 4: So the reason why I'm a big fan of tourene is because it will help with so many areas, just like we see that from like magnesium. So like magnesium is a common one. You've got the basics like magnesium, vitamin d Omega three's. You might have some other minerals in there, maybe iron or B twelve and B vitamins. But I think tourene deserves a spot in your supplement cabinet. And the reason for that is because it does so many things. Number One, it will help to reduce muscle soreness from exercise, so reducing DOMS, which is a common complaint amongst people who exercise and the people that I work with, so doms. Number Two, it has a really potent anti anxiety action in the brain. So there's some pretty good research to suggest that at high doses of tourine we're looking at around three to five grams, it has a really profound effect on the Gabba system in the brain, which is essentially how alcohol works in the brain. That's why people utilize alcohol to reduce anxiety or increase.
Speaker 2: This can do that the detrimental effects that alcohol.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it comes with I've literally I've had people come to me saying, hey, Lucas, what do you recommend for a night out. I don't want to drink, but I want to be like socially fluent, like verbally fluent, and they are social lubrication. I call is a stack. So stuck with like tourine alph and aline, which is another amino. I said, like that concoction there will do a pretty good job of getting not making you feel buzzed, but making you feel more socially confident, fascinating.
Speaker 2: And it's just powder form with water, is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 4: So I had like even before today's podcast, I had like five grams before this.
Speaker 2: Because I'm very nervous.
Speaker 4: There's a you know that the quote more smart, more so mortine. Yeah, I say, more smart, more safe tory.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: I love that our listeners are not going to forget that.
Speaker 2: That's brilliant, mate.
Speaker 1: Just before I let you go, first of all, where can people find you.
Speaker 4: So they can search boost your biology?
Speaker 2: Boost your biology dot com?
Speaker 4: Ye dot com love it?
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that you're specializing in men. Is there a particular female by hacker that you'd loved because a lot of our audience is female. Is there a particular bio hacker that you'd love to give a bit of a plug too?
Speaker 4: So doctor Miranda Mile, Okay, she was one of my lecturers. She's a great resource for women's health.
Speaker 2: Beautiful session. That's that's what we needed, mate. I love that. And what are the things that people should watch out for Google?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: As in you worry about Google or use Google as your truth source of truth?
Speaker 4: I worry about how people use Google and the way in which Google displays the fact that paying paying for top spot exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, so I'd say, okay, so you've got to Yeah, You've got to dig a bit deeper, don't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you's just got to be weary of like who is presenting that information and what is their hidden Do they have a hidden agenda?
Speaker 1: Yeah, either being paid by that pharmaceutical company or do they actually believe that is that got the top ranking on Google because that huge company is paying lots of money or is it organically credible?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Ye, that's actually a really simple good tip for people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the big issue is people don't even go to the Google level.
Speaker 2: It comes up on their.
Speaker 1: Instagram, right, yeah, and that's like that's good enough for me.
Speaker 2: And it just you know, and you know, with all.
Speaker 1: The algorithms and all this clever stuff that happens, it's like, oh my god, I was just thinking about that yesterday.
Speaker 2: So we know, we're just thinking about that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why I got served to you. You know, like it's it's scary, but it's not. It's sort of out of our control to a point. So you know, what we see is out of our control. What we do with what we see is within our control. And I think that's the key message.
Speaker 4: And even with the rise of chut GPT as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get worse, it's not getting any better.
Speaker 1: So we're going to become We're going do you have to become more conscientious, more researched, not skeptical, but informed exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mate, that.
Speaker 1: Was a fantastic Really I really wanted to understand what is by hacking your background and just get some absolute zingers from you, and I think we've done that today.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to have you back. And thanks for coming on.
Speaker 4: The WOODLFE awesome, Thanks Sam.
Speaker 1: So there you go, Lucas, what a what an interesting guy. What an interesting space, what an interesting chat.
Speaker 5: It's just sort of reflecting with you all. I'm sure some of you are still in a bit skeptical. I'm sure some of you are like, no, actually, that makes complete sense for me. I almost feel like term bioacking for someone of his credibility and education and knowledge does them a bit of.
Speaker 2: A disservice because it's very highly researched health.
Speaker 1: Advice, you know, it's and yeah, everyone loves a quick fix these days, so the term hack, we think is the quick solution or the you know, the little silver bullet that we're all looking for. So that's that was really interesting and we're going to continue on with that. As I said, I really wanted to dive in a little bit deeper about how you can get good advice from people that you trust. And as promised at the start of the show, I've got my little list.
Speaker 2: Of top five that I think if you're ever.
Speaker 1: Wanting some great resources out there on social media, you should definitely be following and tuning into these five people.
Speaker 2: And that's coming up next.
Speaker 6: Hey, Sam, it's Nigel who from CANS. I've just got a question with all the influencers I'm seeing online on Instagram, reels and TikTok. How do I trust who's offering the best fitness advice?
Speaker 2: Nigel from CANS What a great question.
Speaker 1: Look, if we're talking about workout videos specifically, I think they can be great for inspo, get yourself moving, try something, have a bit of fun, have a bit of a laugh, gives a bit of a challenge, but you should really be looking what is right for someone else is not necessarily or highly likely probably not what's best for you. And I think you know, we love following a trend, or we love doing what that person over there is doing, but when it comes to exercise, you want to get the most bang for your buck, and you want to train smarter, not harder, So you not want to do first of all, what you enjoy doing, lean probably most importantly, what is.
Speaker 2: Right for you.
Speaker 1: So if you're wanting to get stronger, there needs to be resistance training.
Speaker 2: If you wanted to get.
Speaker 1: Flexible or more mobile or move a bit freer, there needs to be some mobility or yoga or stretching. If you're wanting to improve your cardiovascular fitness, where there needs to be something that gets your heart rate up, whether it's riding or running or swimming or rowing. So you need to sort of, I guess, just challenge yourself, why do I choose this particular option now? If it's just to get a bit of a sweat and have a bit of a fun as a one off workout, there is absolutely no harm in that. That is better than doing nothing. But you really want to look at your workout routine a bit more broadly. You know, I like to do a mixture. I'd like to do strength training three times a week. I like to run a couple of times a week, and then I like to do a swim with a stretch sort of once a week because I'm not that flexible and whatever it is. And I also have quite you know, crappy posture, so I make sure that I do some core stuff and sort of pelvic stuff where I tucked my butt under and improve my posture when I'm doing my resistance training. So that's just kind of me. And if I like to mix it up. I love boxing, you know, just I just find it really fun. I find it's a great kind of mental and physical release. It's a great cardio workout, and you know, that's my sort of go to if I feel like I need to change things up a little bit. But there's actually thought I guess, n I do, I guess The point here is this thought behind what I do.
Speaker 2: So more broadly, and this is.
Speaker 1: Why I'm really glad you asked this question because it sort of triggered something in me that what is the how do you know if they're any good or not?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I think it's important to look at qualifications. I mean, I was a personal trainer still I am really from twenty so I'm now forty three. So for twenty three years I did the maths. I've done over eighty thousand personal training appointments, and I think that you know, you can't treat everybody the same based on age and how fit they are, in their exercise history or injury history, or their psychology or motivation. You know, you really do need to treat people as personally or as individually as you can and as sort it comes back to the same. You know, your workout routine should be personal to you. Someone that is helping you or giving you advice should have an understanding of the audience that they're talking to. And I think that becomes really really important anyway, That was an interesting way to finish the show, really interesting show in general.
Speaker 2: Lucas Owen what a guy.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to catch up with him again. I hope you enjoyed today's episode as much as I did. As always, would love to hear from you, and, as I said to Lucas, would love to know what hacks you guys have got. What little thing do you do that perhaps you don't think that many of our listeners do, that you'd like to share with us that I can. I'll share your hacks on a future episode. Have a great week until then, see you later.