Speaker 1: You are now entering the court of Judge Gina Leano.
Speaker 2: Sometimes trusting a friend with a valued possession isn't the best idea. If you're someone who regrets the generosity, what do you do? You come to my courtroom to resolve the issue once and for all. I am Judge Gina, and my decision is final. You better be ready to hear my ruling.
Speaker 1: A missing piece of expensive recording equipment has driven a wedge between two good friends. Brett Blake has brought Nick Kapper before Judge Gina, seeking five hundred dollars in financial compensation for a lost go pro.
Speaker 3: My name is Brett Blake. I'm a comedian.
Speaker 4: You may have seen me around gigs or sometimes on the television.
Speaker 3: I've come here today. My mate's kind of done me over.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: My name is Nick Kappa. I'm a comedian and I also work in a fabric factory.
Speaker 6: But I doubt you know me from that.
Speaker 4: We met in a bye in Perth doing a gig that was awful, and that was the first time we met. But then I didn't get back to him for about six months because he sent me a text message that anyway, that's irrelevant and yeah, and then we've ever since then, we've just been mates.
Speaker 6: Brett he's my best friend, he's best man at my wedding.
Speaker 5: I have come to Judge Gina because Brett keeps blaming me for losing his GoPro whereas I did not.
Speaker 4: Today I want Nick Kappa to apologize to me, admit his wrong and give me a new go bro.
Speaker 2: Court is now in session.
Speaker 1: Please rise the Judge Gina.
Speaker 2: Brett Blake, you are the complainant today. Tell me how you know Nick Happer.
Speaker 4: Brett Blake here. If you don't know what I look like, I've got a beard in a mullet.
Speaker 2: So I just asked you when you started.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I'll get Yeah, that's part of that that's in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We met in Perth the first time. Yes, I your in Perth Comedy gig and you. I left the gig.
Speaker 3: I met him there.
Speaker 4: I left the gig and then he messaged me saying should we catch up for a beer?
Speaker 3: And then I didn't respond any Yeah, he ghosted me.
Speaker 2: Do you have a love relationship? Yeah, romantic?
Speaker 7: No, comedy ghosting is usually a romantic.
Speaker 3: So I didn't catch up with him for a beer.
Speaker 4: And then about eight months later, I bumped into him again in Melbourne at a gig and then when I came out on stage, you roasted me about not responding to a dext message.
Speaker 7: Oh there you go, give it up, sweet revenge.
Speaker 2: There you go. I've heard that you've represented yourself on many occasions in court. Is that right? Is that part of your comedy routine or is that Yeah? Well it's real, I do, but I don't do what you do.
Speaker 4: I've just gone to call plead guilty under the circumstance of and given like the judge and a valid reason.
Speaker 2: So you don't have to tell me the details because I don't want you to incriminate yourself. No, but you seem very frightened in my court and you've got me on the back of what's going on.
Speaker 5: You're a very powerful Bread's the kind of guy that shoots, shoots first, then ask questions later.
Speaker 3: I'm not getting red face as we speak.
Speaker 5: I think it's one of the reasons why Brett keeps me around, because he does. He does screw up sometimes and then he's able to blame me.
Speaker 2: So you apparently go on long distance biking trips together around Australia. Is that on separate bikes.
Speaker 3: Separate bikes.
Speaker 6: I wish it was.
Speaker 2: Checking a long distance biking trips together around Australia. When did you start doing this or how many of you been on?
Speaker 3: You started about four years ago?
Speaker 2: It's three years ago. And yeah, how like once a year, once a year? Why are you doing that?
Speaker 6: I love riding motorbikes.
Speaker 5: Always catch up with my mates and then breath's like, I'd love to get back into it.
Speaker 2: It's a motorbike, not a push but I thought you were a bicycle. No, okay, so they're motorbikes. Okay, Yeah, and you're getting with all your leathers. You're part of a bike club, the two of you.
Speaker 6: We're part of kind of a bike club. Yeah, it's not rebellious bike club.
Speaker 5: It's just more my farming mates from and you're going to Windy. We've got a group called the Border Bunch because we're from the New South Wales Coeensland border.
Speaker 6: About eight of us. My dad's involved, Your dad's involved. Yeah, it's really bad.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cool. Okay, scary man.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised you haven't heard of us in one year. Card Now we're notorious.
Speaker 5: We're notorious for having like three to four beers a night.
Speaker 6: Right, we are.
Speaker 2: Hopefully not riding your bike afterwards. Sleep.
Speaker 6: Okay, we love it. I love riding a motorbike. Eat them.
Speaker 2: So did you both have this in common just coincidentally or did one one of you lead each other into this motorbike idea.
Speaker 4: I've always liked motorbikes, but I have a road bike and Nick's had more, you know, like dirt bike experience or whatever. And then he started talking about this gang and group of people. And during lockdown the government would let you get ten grand out of your superannuation. So I got ten grando out to buy yeah, ivet a dirt bike so I could go on with money.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Do you go with the group or do you go individually? Together? Just you two?
Speaker 4: We go to the group once a year, i'd say, and then individually we do a lot of shorter trips because also we do stand up comedy regionally. We got to all regional Towgether gigs, so then sometimes we will just ride for three days. So we then also we got to we record content for our podcast, which is about adventure bikes and mountain biking and things like that.
Speaker 2: What's the content.
Speaker 4: We talk about our little adventures that we go on, and then we also film it all right, and then like because we're always when we're riding, we're not riding on the roads, we're riding in forests and all those fire tracks, so we say put that on a podcast. Well, so then we do our podcast night, but then we do like a video pod or small videos.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, fantastic. What happened on this particular occasion, You've had a go pro camera connected to is it? Nick's motorbike was.
Speaker 3: Connected to Nix motorbike.
Speaker 4: So every morning we have to load up the bikes because we've got all our sleeping stuff on there and whatever. And I got our camera gear and then I mount my cameras. So I've got I've got two three cameras, and Nick's got two cameras on his bike as well.
Speaker 2: So you've got in total, how many cameras we travel with eight cameras eight cameras, have many on yours.
Speaker 4: I take about seven of them. We don't all have them rolling on the bike. Some of them are drones, some of them are like interview style cameras, and the other one's are go Pro. So that's when we're riding, we put the go pros on so you can see us. If something happened, like we're on a dirt track, we get kangaroo jumps out with.
Speaker 2: And is it only one go pro that you've got.
Speaker 3: We've got at the moment, we've got four go pros.
Speaker 2: Okay, And where do you normally strap those?
Speaker 3: We have one to each to the front of our helmets.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: And then on my one, I've got one that as forward at the bottom of the front wheel, and then nick one on the On the day in question, your honor was on his handlebars facing him so to get a reaction shot.
Speaker 6: Okay, all interesting stuff.
Speaker 2: And so this particular occasion, till me what happened? So you've strapped the GoPro on? What time of day is it? And how long are you filming for?
Speaker 4: I strapped the go proty what time? I would say, around eight am?
Speaker 2: And where were you?
Speaker 4: We were at a motel motel, left from the motel in the morning. Yeah, so eight am I strapped the go pro to his motorbike.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: Then twelve o'clock, I would say, we were off road and we noticed the camera was missing. Around twelve I'd say around lunchtime, because we met that crazy lady in the forest and we couldn't forget why it was just a lady in the middle of.
Speaker 2: A forest, right, well, was it a lady in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of the just drinking beer?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Have you go?
Speaker 4: Pro nou you go? Good luck finding that she.
Speaker 6: Was walking around. You just can't.
Speaker 5: I think this lady was a mirage. And this lady disappears with a cols back. She disappeared after that.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 6: There's only one road.
Speaker 3: It was very weird that she was out in the middle of apparition.
Speaker 2: It could have been an apparition. Who knows. I'll take your word for it. I might not take your word for it on other things, but I'll take you word. It was a strange encounter, however it was. I'm going to go to Nick now, So I just want to know what you've got to say about this. So do you agree that at about eight am before you went on a road trip, that Brett has strapped on a camera onto your motorbike and he's strapped it on correctly or adequately? Would you agree?
Speaker 6: No, I strapped that camera on it eight in the morning.
Speaker 2: You strapped it on it eight in the morning.
Speaker 5: In the morning, when we get ready, we go and around four o'clock, I think what had happened to either needed No, we needed to change the battery on on my camera and Bread changed it.
Speaker 2: Okay, not the go pro that went missing.
Speaker 6: No, No, that the go pro went missing my camera on his camera.
Speaker 2: His camera on your bike. Yeah, at about four pm. Yeah, you needed a new battery on the go pro that you then realized was missing. Yes, Pattie, why do you think it needs a battery? Does it tell you or you just know how many hours?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You just know how many hours it last night, I'm pretty horrible at it. Bread's Bread's on top of so he's like, hey, mate, your your battery's running low?
Speaker 6: No idea. Usually I usually change it myself.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's still over Bread change. So you're a funny lady in the bush. Yeah, and noticed that the camera's missing, okay. And you couldn't backtrack three or four minutes of.
Speaker 6: Driving tracked so for so long?
Speaker 2: Well you only get to backtrack for three or four minutes.
Speaker 6: I know, I know that's so long.
Speaker 5: It was like the bush was that we there was this bundle a rum can full both of us. In what way is that you'd see the shine of the can? You're like, that's the camera.
Speaker 7: That's the camera.
Speaker 3: We run so tall as well. We're riding ato like one hundred clomes an hour, so if it came off.
Speaker 2: It was going it was going to go flying. Right about midday? Is that when you notice the go pro missing? When you met this lady who was possibly an apparition.
Speaker 6: It was later in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: When did you meet the lady?
Speaker 6: I reckon, we saw probably around four o'clock.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you'd already noticed you go pro missing by then, so we.
Speaker 3: When we noticed it was when the lady.
Speaker 2: Was a different story here, Brett. You say eight am, you strapped the camera. On twelve o'clock you notice it missing in around four pm you notice this lady or the same time, you know.
Speaker 3: Whenever I noticed the lady. I'm very bad with timings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but whenever we stopped and yeah, when we were looking for the go pro, that's when we bat we.
Speaker 3: Noticed the lady.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you're bad with timing, it could have been four pm.
Speaker 4: I would the go pro was secure on at the time of the motorbike in the morning and then it's on your bike, so you should be looking after your own equipment at that stage.
Speaker 2: Well, you weren't looking after your own equipment if you've put it on someone else's bike assumed that they will look after it.
Speaker 3: I'm getting I did assume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I previously had you put that GoPro.
Speaker 4: On the bike, Okay, with his specific bike, I'd say ten times.
Speaker 2: Ten times in the past, and never a.
Speaker 3: Problem, never a problem before. And I mounted GoPros for about the last fifteen.
Speaker 2: So do you do you think he mounted correctly this time?
Speaker 3: One hundred?
Speaker 2: So why would why do you say it would have fallen off.
Speaker 3: Just due to vibration that happens over time.
Speaker 7: So an accident, yeah, an accident.
Speaker 4: But also you should with off road adventures, you should be constantly checking your gear.
Speaker 2: So it could have accidentally come could have accidentally come off, right, right, Okay, And I mean but it wasn't visible. But if it does, if you are saying that you should check it, there's the same applies to you. You should have checked it. I'm checking my year, right, but that is your gear's some of our head stop to get good faith. You've mentioned that you do a podcast together. And the reason why you film your rides is for the podcast, Brett, Why are you the only one supplying the recording equipment?
Speaker 4: Nick's broke and I want to have good footage for our podcast and our listeners. So I've spent about twelve thousand dollars on recording gear and video cameras, and Nick's probably spent five hundred, right, twelve thousand dollars through bread the drives four thousand each of these two cameras.
Speaker 2: In fact, you're stopt they talking. So in actual fact, Brett, you're enabling Nick to have a job doing a podcast by your equipment.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, and he also gets half the money that we make as well from that, even though that shouldn't be a fair split considering financially doesn't put in towards podcast.
Speaker 3: But that's a different argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So you've mounted it correctly, you say, But you would you admit that through vibration that it could have accidentally fallen off?
Speaker 3: It's a possibility.
Speaker 2: Well, that's clearly what happened, because unless you're alleging that he's pulled it off and thrown out somewhere, how else would it have come off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, clearly that, but I still think you should be checking.
Speaker 2: No, that's not I'm asking you. So clearly there's vibration and it's fallen off unless you're alleging that he actually pulled it off, and what we.
Speaker 4: Were saying, i'd say it would be likely have been vibrations. Yeah, okay, I'm not having I'm stressed out right now. May I add something in here? I constantly remind Nick to check the gear all the time, and he has a history of damaging my camera.
Speaker 2: Gear, right, So why do you keep trusting him?
Speaker 4: Because I have to get the footage unfortunately, because it's for our podcast, and.
Speaker 2: If you've got damaged equipment, there's no footage that comes with the damage to quick So it's a little bit like inviting a problem, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it is like inviting me.
Speaker 2: And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting results.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to make my decision.
Speaker 1: Judge Gina is deliberating and will soon hand down her verdict. Please do not leave the courtroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I've made a decision. So in this situation, I would suggest that there's contributory negligence here that I could probably apportion fifty to fifty. So Brett, you're asking for five hundred dollars and I will grant you two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: I feel today when awfully bad for me. I was coming in Swing. I was like, I've been in court before, this will be fine. Absolutely not. I was red faced within three minutes of being here.
Speaker 5: I feel like maybe I got a fair trial.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've got no idea about courts and stuff like that, but look, according to me, I shouldn't have to pay anything.
Speaker 4: I think all the testosterones left my body a twelve year old boy. Now I don't even want to go pro anymore.
Speaker 7: I just want to go home.
Speaker 5: It won't affect my relationship with Brett, because this is him. Every day he always wants an argument. Every day is a court case, every day is a battle when you are friends with Brett Blake.
Speaker 6: Only this was in more of a formal fashion.
Speaker 5: And finally someone talked over him, which is so great.
Speaker 4: So yes, I'd say this is over, and then now we can concentrate on the other four cameras he's damaged with mine.
Speaker 3: I hope there's no video footage of this because I look like a coward.
Speaker 1: This has been an iHeart production.