Speaker 1: Good apene ally here, welcome to you Ain't seen nothing yet? The movie podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. Today's guest Matt Preston.
Speaker 2: Was it over a winner, Driman's bomb, Pearl Harmer?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 1: Sixty percent of the time it works every time.
Speaker 3: That doesn't make sense?
Speaker 4: Alright, it's green Beres for breakfast.
Speaker 3: Very hungry, haven't a right now?
Speaker 5: You ain't seen nothing here.
Speaker 1: Matt Preston arrived on Australian TV in two thousand and nine with his sharp suits, his cravats and his quick fire with He was the clear standout star in the very first season of The Juggernaut that became Master Chef Australia Apologies, George and Gary, a show that went on to become a global sensation, making Matt a household name in India, Spain, the UK, Portugal, South Africa, Singapore and a whole lot more. Matt is terrific company and has branched out into radio and books and new TV shows, namely Pad of Origin on Channel seven, Funny, Passionate, Generous and Thunderbee Around Let's see if Matt Preston Survived the Sunken Place.
Speaker 6: Hi, It's Matt Preston. My three favorite films are The Princess Bridehead to Kill.
Speaker 5: The Greatest Showman, People coming to My show for the pleasure of being hoodwink. I love to get him something and then I don't either Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Harold and Maude.
Speaker 1: I see your shiver with anticipant.
Speaker 6: Picture. But up until this week, I'd never seen get Out or Get Out fu get Out.
Speaker 1: Despite borrowing from the iconic films The Stepweed Wives, Rosemary's Baby. He guess he's coming to dinner and he'll even meet the parents. Jordan Peel's twenty seventeen debut feature horror flick Get Out feels wholly original. Young African American photographer Chris Daniel Kalua is heading to the countryside this weekend and meet his girlfriend Ross White, liberal woke parents Dean played by Bradley Whitford and Missy Catherine Keener. His visit starts with a sense of uneasiness and gets worse from their Matt Preston, welcome to you. Ain't seen nothing yet, thank you, So we'll get to get out soon. Because there's a whole heap to discuss, and you've.
Speaker 6: You've actually hooked on a few things that definitely to be discussed in terms of in terms of whether I love or don't love Get Out yep, which is fantastic. But yes, now, look, there are certain films that you keep, aren't there, the ones you're keeping the kit bag for that really bad day. I had another one, which was Mississippi Burni, which I actually watched two nights ago for the first time that I always saved it. I need to watch this on one day, and I watched it the other night and it was magnificent. So I love this idea of having something in the kit bag for later.
Speaker 1: I watched Miss mc burnie when I was quite young, and that was one of those films, you know, because I think JFK might have come out around you know, like around that kind of period and there's that kind of social injustice. It was like as a like fifteen year old I think I might have been when I saw that. It was just like that kind of gripped me. I saw missus B. I've probably seen Miss Zibbi Burnie close to ten times. Jean Happan win the Foe. It is just phenomenal. Let's talk about your three favorite films before we get to get out the one that keeps on coming up in this podcast, and I will listeners will know that Princess Bride doesn't hold the same place in my heart that it does to most of our guests, because it comes up time and time again. But I didn't see it like as a young a young youngster. I saw it in my twenties. So you I like it, I just don't have this look.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 6: I think the way it comes sort of if you watch it in your if you watch it sort of eighteen nineteen, when you're still quite close to the fairy tales and those childhood stories and the way it skews those. But it also plays certain things really strong through it. That the Caster characters are amazing, Andrew the Giant obviously is a magnificent character in there, that the Jart with the gift for a rhyme, Wallace Sean as the kind of the slightly disruptible character who is employing the Giant. And then the central characters of Robin Robin Wright and obviously carry Elways are fantastic. And then Mandy the Great Mandy Many Petinka fantastic, fantastic performance.
Speaker 1: So is that is that when you get back to occasionally.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, no, And I've watched with my children. I think I think it's interesting the films you go back to. So Animal Has Blues Brothers, Animal House Blues Brothers, Uh, Princess Bride. I've all watched watch all of those with my kids, and they they the Princess Bride is the one that really resonates more than anything else. I think I think that there's something about the theme that you know that that classic redemption story of that the man who's chasing down the villain who killed his father is fantastic. The kind of the honor, the humor, the kind of ridiculousness of idiots so BEAUTI and it's beautifully shot. The music is magnificent as well. That's not for.
Speaker 1: It's it's probably a pity that I, and maybe I was one of these people that The Princess Bride possibly put off boys because of its title. You know, I think there were probably some boys, you know, who just went and I think i've because I think I've recommended it to my boys.
Speaker 6: But but there's a great there's a great moment as as as Peter Folk is reading the story to a very young friend, savage savage, and and what do you see? The pirates are good and they're things like flesh eating eels. I mean, you know, there's there's enough in there which and I think it's those those little moments where it's kind of like it's so knowing in terms of knowing that boys are going to feel like that that very quickly. It plays with the idea he's there playing his baseball on the Nintendo when it starts. And it's a book grounded why so? I mean also it champions reading and children's stories and something close to your heart as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well. I was going to watch it with Oscar recently because it going to keeps on coming up. And I have seen it and I've enjoyed it, but I said, he just doesn't have the place in my heart, but I have. My youngest is twelve. And my plan is when Cinema's reopen where we are in Melbourne, because I know Cinema Nova in my lig On Street. I think they were doing because there's not a lot of new films opening, they're doing, you know, the nostalgic Classics and the Big Labowski and I was one, but I think the Princess Bride I was showing on the big screen, so I might have to lock that in the Greatest Showman.
Speaker 6: I don't know why, it just it just it just stuck up on me. I think it's I mean, I'm an I'm an inveterate cry in films, right, So there's there's there's tons of emotion there.
Speaker 1: Have you always been a cry or.
Speaker 3: I'm the man.
Speaker 6: I'm the man who went to the premier of Kindergarten Cop and my girlfriend at the time to turn around me and when you're crying in a fascinating, really moving it's a big guy the kids.
Speaker 3: Really, you know.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I am terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible.
Speaker 1: But that film there is something great about that film. It's very uplifting. I think I had a frog in my throat during some moments in that film. I went and saw that film as a preview because I think we're having zac Efron and Hugh Jack went on the project, so we went and saw it. So I didn't know if this was going to be any good and just walked out and I and I was like, I think that's a really great film. And my brother, who's doesn't watch as many like loves films, doesn't not doesn't deep dive as much as I do, loves this film my and listens to the soundtrack quite often. My brother in law, who's kind of works, you know, in vague terms as a trade and he has he saw this film at the cinema with my sister and then went back the next day and took his daughters to go see it, and it was he said, I was one of them to see it, but I was also seeing it for myself, like he loves like it's managed to pierce some hardened hearts, and.
Speaker 6: I think what it is and great musicals like that. There's not a there's not a dud song in there, so you kind of go from great set up to great setup. You've got amazing dances. There's an amazing bar dancing with Zach Afron and Hugh Jackman is spectaculm Jackman, I think is probably of all the things Jackman does as a dancer, that is his supreme skill. And it's got a motion, it's got you know, fighting against fighting against the forces of evil, and it's got a lovely outcome and it's got and it's got some you know, and it's got a beautiful kind of a beautiful love story at its core. But also then that kind of the that strange love affair he has with Jenny Linda as the Showman and how that works. And again there's something about that. There's something about someone you know, doing going out there and doing crazy things and it not working and then still fighting back. I mean that triumph of a tragedy is such a central core to probably all those films, is that idea of triumph of a tragedy, all those three that I picked, and that that is undoubted is a journalist, that's one of the great things that you're telling a story that's a great story you can tell as people who come back from adversity is far more powerful and people just who've always done well.
Speaker 1: The Greatest Showman is almost a is almost like a disguised X men, isn't it, because it's really kind of it's you've got the circus for you, you know, and that's that's what kind of it was the outsider elements for me that kind of really spoke to me. Not that I mean, you know, I'm not I don't feel like an outsider in very many you know, in many ways, but you still can't help but empathize and cheer for the underdog and for the outsider.
Speaker 6: People aren't going to logo, put on stage, counting on it, And I think that, but that, But isn't that the isn't that the essence of of of so many films and so many films I'm sore you like that that whole idea of the of the fish out of water, whether that smister Smith goes to Washington or any of those films, that kind of it underpins that idea of of how how you how you deal with those things? And then also his his role in his character is surprising as well. I think that there's there's lots of there's lots of depths and facets to what could often musicals is very black and white, the good guy, the bad guy, the hero and the love interest whatever.
Speaker 1: And surely there's nothing surer than I'm sure I have no idea if this is happening or not, but nothing more certain than the Greatest Showman Live like as a as a musical, as a musical theater.
Speaker 6: It's interesting, isn't it? When musical theater has been so strong, especially in Melbourne, of the last kind of ten years, and we've seen so much, but it it's surprising they've done. I think they've done a they've done a kind of live show. And obviously Hugh Jackman toured with toward toured with at least one of the cast members when he was here. Yes, but can you get that, can you get the scale?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And I mean nothing surprised me what they can do on those stages.
Speaker 6: Look, look, look, I would go. I mean, it's interesting. It's interesting because because obviously the you know, the strength of musical theater is that is that you don't need a you don't need a spectacular stage setting in order to films like like Me has worked amazingly because on mile film, because you can have the scale in Paris and the Great Show and have that whole thing in York, the big theaters and the elephants. Yeah, but you know, you think of something like you think of something like a boy from oz Or or Hamilton is a great example. Hamilton. It's a it's a best it's a bear stage basically, but it's incredibly, very powerful.
Speaker 1: Harold and Maud I have a lovely spot in my heart. I only saw it a few years ago. Me and a great friend of mine, Stephen Gates from the comedy trio Tripod. We were due to go see a movie and I forget what movie it was, and we got our dates mixed up. It was actually opening the following week. So we're at Cinemanova and we just looked at the border and said, what else can we see? The next movie starting is Harold and Maud. Sure, let's go see it. Went and saw it and just were so glad that we got our times wrong and we witnessed Harold and Maud on the big screen.
Speaker 6: It's real. It's a real surprise, isn't it. It is because it doesn't do any of the things that Hollywood movie should do. No, it breaks almost every single convention, and it does it with such heart and style that it seems totally normal and natural and even and it even does you know, we're thinking, this is what this is twenty years before you know, Ned Stark gets his head cut off in Game of Thrones, and you know it had it plays with the same smashing of a narrative in the same way that that did. It's quite quite an amazing film.
Speaker 5: Who play.
Speaker 6: Doulty Gillian, give me, give me, give me the hell?
Speaker 3: You got nothing to talk about it in the locker room?
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I absolutely love it. And you did mention Rocky Horror, which is that has come up? I think once or twice did you see the film before this?
Speaker 6: I was born and brought up in Fulham in London, and said, around the corner from the the old the old Cinema which was converted into the first the first place Rocky horseshow originally on the King's Raid where the Rocky Hors regally started, so it was kind of part of my growing up. I thought I saw it love on stage about twenty times. So yeah, no, it's and it's a. It's a. It's a good. Often when you love a stage show and you see it transferred to film, it doesn't always work. But Rocky Horror Show is fantastic and Tim Curry is amazing, and you know, meatloads magnificent and Little Nell is brilliant, and you know, I love there's that there's such a kind of depth. Susan Sarandon is magnificent. It's a it's a and then again not not not a dud song.
Speaker 2: In a lot twice. Why up?
Speaker 1: Why all right, let's get stuck into it. There's so much to talk about this film, and I we don't with this podcast. I don't. We don't talk about our feelings and our thoughts about the film. So I'm itching. I'm chomping at the bit. What did you make of Get Out? I was a bit underwhelmed.
Speaker 6: And I know it's and I know it's been app absolutely, absolutely lauded, and it's you know, it's one of the few films in the last five years that in the top hundreds, more of the top hundreds. But I couldn't get past the fact that it was the Stepford Wife, it was the Stepford Wise and there's something was something so chilling about that nineteen seventy five film. You mentioned Aaron Levin and Rosbie Baby, who obviously wrote wrote the book, and William Goldman, who wrote William Princess Bride, did the first run of the script on the film as well. So it should be it should be everything that that I love, And I just kept thinking that it never had that chilling moment. And if you haven't seen The Stepwives, it's so worth watching it. That chilling moment when Ann Margaret comes face to face with the kind of the cyborg and the clone cyborg and Margaret with no eyes. That moment is so frightening and so chilling. And and again it that stephanid Lives does not have a happy ending. No, there it is, it is. It is brutal and and the evildoers get away with it and continue and they're happy with their lives and it and it's a and it's a it's it's a I think both Get Out and steph for Wives had some big political questions that can be unpacked probably by people with with with wives and minds and your mind and yours. But but yeah, so I did keep sitting there thinking, but isn't this just the same that you know, I can see why they've skewed it. They've given I felt that it was a cop out. They gave it a Hollywood ending to it. There's some great moments in it. I mean, and this is this is this is a problem about when you when you do you when you don't see a film because you think you're going to really love it, and you're saving it for the special occasion, your expectations are high. You're expecting to jump into your top hundred, and so when it doesn't deliver, you go, oh, oh, dear. And I'm sure you've been like that with certain Star Wars films. The expectation are so great, you're so excited and everything everything should be right about it. You know that the premise is good, and it starts well, and the and the scene at the there's a scene at at a at a kind of strange summer like cocktail party, which is basically, where are we like to talk spoilers here?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, what are you doing listening to this podcast? If you haven't seen this film, go see a film and then come back and then exactly.
Speaker 6: Start right now. But but this whole idea, this whole idea of organ harvesting taken to to the nth degree, and we love that, you know, the whole idea of of harvesting organs from from poor people and then giving the rich people that they can live longer, and the whole quest for eternal life for people with the money to achieve that, which has been a universal thing for you know, thousands of years. So the idea of of of you know, this this young young woman going out dating men bringing them back and then they the body gets uptioned off. At this cocktail idy, there's a great moment where where it's a it's a very very white kind of almost connect to get type type family cocktail party. Everyone's white, there's there's one that there's one person of color. Then he just leans over and goes good. And then I thought, I thought that was very powerful because you, because you're kind of you were starting to but but for me, it was you could see what was coming. What I really what I really enjoyed about it was.
Speaker 1: Could you I'm surprised that you could see what was only because you know, only because I I certainly didn't see what was coming. The only thing I knew was he probably gets out like he probably like he probably and either they go for the the tragic ending where he gets he gets killed trying to get out, or he actually gets out. That's you. I didn't know how he was going to do it. And that's and that's when you say I knew it was going to happen, Like there are so many things that happened, even to the cotton wall obviously, which becomes you know, a thing, and obviously the symbolism there you're gonna even when he starts, you know, like you know, threading the cotton boll between his fingers. I'm like, okay, so that's obviously the weapon he's going to use to get out, But how's he going to use that to get out?
Speaker 6: But then but then there's all that he walks into. He walks into a room and there's a crash cut to a to a stag's head on the wall with really pointing out this, and you go, okay, there you go. You know, you know that bit is it the Punisher? There's a been the punisher whe where they do that. They're fighting and they keep cutting back to this combine harvester, you know, with these big spikes coming out of it. You know that dorf Legnan is going to end up on the spikes. You know, that's where it's going to happen. And so so there are all those things that kind of the visual language is there that you're coming in. I think the problem is because it's I could started to smell stap for wives, and I'm remembering the power at the end, and so I'm expecting the end to be that he you know, he ends up you know, being a hit with his you know, new sculptures in New York, and that was expected. I kind of cast that end of it, the kind of the dark end. And then when you know, and then my mate turns up with a with a gun and blah blah blah, and it's like, oh, it's all sorted out. It was all that was a bit kind of.
Speaker 1: Like really, okay, all right, what we need to do is take a step back and let's go, let's walk our way through get out. I I do love this film, and I love it the more times I see and I didn't watch it necessarily with the step third wives hovering, you know, I was, I noticed it like, you know, that's that's the film that you know, it feels like it's it's you know, Loom's largest over it. But it wasn't interfering with my kind of you know, the enjoyment or you know, being terrified of the film. So the opening. Do you ever get to the point in movies where you know there's an opening scene and you just decide really early on that you love this movie. Yeah, absolutely, and it can be it get me like a fast They could be a mission impossible film.
Speaker 6: I think I think that that's become even more, even more prominent now with it's kind of the binge culture. If you're not grabbed in the first five minutes of a TVC's you're gone. You moved on. You've moved on to something else. You're not going to watch the next you know, sixteen nights of yeah, three seasons of something. So yeah, it's absolutely crucial. I think that that's great.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't have to be, you know, a big action sequence. And I really was.
Speaker 6: I was really like, what grabbed you?
Speaker 1: I think, I mean part of it was for me. It was like subconstantly looking at the craft. I mean, that's a one shot opening opening sequence. Also, there's a black man kind of walking through a neighborhood because I knew going in, the only thing I really knew was basically the cart and then was the lead and I thought, I think he had his head down when he's okay, that's him, and then he puts his head on and that's not our main character, that's not Daniel, So okay, how does he tie in? And then like this is car, you know, creeping up and and it's it's just tense. It's just a really tense scene shot beautifully all in one shot, and everything in this film and the thing I've kind of get to this more throughout the podcast, but everything in this film when you watch it back, there's nothing that happens by accident, you know, Like you know, we find out later that it's the brother who has taken taken him because the way he's dragging him, which we see later on with near the door when he's trying to escape the Mississippi one Misissippi two, it is beautifully played out. I just wanting to mention some of the actors along the way that Keith Stanfield plays Andre. You may have seen him Knives Out, which is a great film, and Sorry to Body, which is also worth checking out. But I just love that when I first saw it, it was just like, okay, this is I feel. I felt tense straight away and that had me in And like I say, an opening scene doesn't need to be an explosion or a Tom Cruise moment. It just needs to be something where I felt where I feel safe in safe hands, that this the person making this film knows what they're doing and that they.
Speaker 6: Are It's an undone in asshure bit of filmmaking, but that is it that great story that you haven't seen before, where you don't know what's going to happen, where where, where you're not And I agree that there's you know, there's some that you know you need a certain amount of signposting because it lets you know what's happening. But but and the the most powerful thing about them was this idea that that that that although their their their mind, their their body is taken and possessed, their mind is still there, but you know, floating in the darkness and able to see and saying a thing, and occasionally occasionally they can fight that that subconscious can fight its way out through the host. I think that's very powerful. I think that that that concept is is really powerful, and more of that would have been been great. And I like the way that that that does come back in the that does come back in the end, and the final person who rescues him is a is a is a host body that's been taken over, and the subconscious manages to gain control for a couple of seconds in order so that that I that I thought was powerful, and I thought that that was great. I just I just I just didn't feel there was there was much to it. I don't know, but maybe that's because now we're used to seeing we're used to seeing stories that are so much more complex, you know that than the ninety of the Hollywood ninety minute hundred and eighty minute format is very hard when you're used to watching something unfold over six one hour episodes, you know, also or watching I watched Comy The Comy Rule the other day, which is great, and there's so much going on and things are twisting and turning, and you know, obviously it's reality as well, but so I kind of feel that that that I wanted. I wanted more, and I wanted more, like, oh, you know, and is that not? What is that not?
Speaker 3: Is that not? The great?
Speaker 6: The great change in in in telling a story nowadays is that pivot. It's the word of twenty twenty, but that moment you see it, it's the absolutely the new kind of the new kind of the Netflix model for a series that that things pivot in that last scene and everthing twists totally around and your whole so many preconceptions get get turned around. I didn't I didn't feel that there was much that who's good, who's bad, what's right? What's right?
Speaker 1: I think? And Jordan Peele says, watch when you rewatch it, like watch Allison, Sorry Rose Allison played by Alison Williams from Girls, and she is like almost the key. So this is one example, and this is what I think they do against so well. They just when you first watch it, it works when you think Rose is you know, good, and she sets up this this is the girlfriend every boy and every every man. Once I think Jordan Peele said, it's the kind of girl that you all every American boy dreamt of meeting on summer camp. You know she's she's and also Jordan Peele knows the fact that she is dating a black man means that we think automatically, subconsciously she's good. She is inherently good. And she when they go when they're heading away, they get pulled over by the policeman and she says, why do you need his idea? He wasn't driving, and that is obviously very much an isn't gone right now, and as I was in twenty seventeen, So it just it works like get in the car. Chris says, that was fucking hot, and we just think that's a great moment between them. Sir, can I see your license. Please wait? Why, yeah, state ID.
Speaker 3: I don't know he wasn't driving.
Speaker 1: I didn't ask who was driving. I asked to see his ID. Yeah, why that doesn't make any sense. You don't have to give him your idea because you haven't done anything wrong.
Speaker 4: Anytime there is an incident, we have every right to ask ma'am all right, I'm good. That headlight fixed and that mirror, Thank you, officer.
Speaker 1: But then when you watched a second time, you realize something completely different is actually happening. She's hiding evidence, she doesn't look the police to know that he was even she's destroying the paper trail.
Speaker 6: But this is not Do you enjoy it more the second time?
Speaker 1: I've seen this film about three or four times now, and did I watch it with my fifteen year old last night, who absolutely loved it. And I've enjoyed it more because of picking up yeah, these moments.
Speaker 3: So I think that's I think that's interesting.
Speaker 6: Undoubtly films like that, that that that you watch the first time you go when greatly Showman, I think it's probably one of the things you're watching. You go, that's pretty good, and you watch it again, you're actually actually that that's that's really nicely crafted. Yeah, you can you can see how that that's great and it becomes a becomes a appreciated on that basis. But you know, it's not Infinity War.
Speaker 1: We can general whole different you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean there's there's there's there's a great example and Fanos clicks his fingers and half the people disappear and you go, what the.
Speaker 1: Of course, but when Katherine Keno when he goes into the sunken place, when Katherine Kena's you know, stirring her cup of tea, you know, that's a that's a what the is going on? Moment? Like that?
Speaker 6: Is that that's a bit when that's a bit. When Homer Simpson goes into that dark nether world, he falls into one of those those optical spiral things and he ends up there and he's floating around in in the kind of three dimensional blackness.
Speaker 1: I mean it is this is basically the Simpsons.
Speaker 6: You're right, And maybe that's you know, that's that's the great thing about you know, and that's a hard thing when you make in movies, is the references that you pick up, whether they're conscious or subconscious, and very that was not not not in there with the reason that they they automatically start they automatically start flicking a chip on one side of the ledger or the other. So so I think, so I think that didn't that didn't see it. Twilight Zone kind of so didn't. It didn't give me that, It didn't give me that that chilly moment, you know. And I think, you know, if you look at current horror stuff, something like black Mirror is far more, far more, far more chilling, and.
Speaker 1: It's a connection between Black Mirror and and and get Out.
Speaker 6: I mean it could be, but black Mirror, but the number of Black Mirrors you watch and obviously black mirrors trading on trading in Twilight Zone and all that, all that kind of great history of sixties fifties, sixties seventies kind of sci fi and stuff. But but every story is a different is a different story. And I think and I think maybe that's a and I think maybe that's a I think maybe that maybe they maybe that the the old cliches of Hollywood movie making, because it's kind of it's quite a traditional Hollywood film. You mentioned Knives Out, which is a great film, but but gee, that's the nineteen. That's a yeah, it's a it throws back to the Christie ther Cule Paro movies. And but but you know, we're coming We're coming into an era where where where the stories are drawn from the most popular movies are drawn from graphic novels that go in crazy different twists and turns, and you know, and and that the rules of the rules of the universe are totally are totally turned upside down. So I think, I don't know, do we do we? Do we expect more? I mean I think it's a combination of two things. Is I expected more? And and again I get back to that thing. I think the Statford Wife did it better.
Speaker 1: Like you can see the influences here, and there's also there's an Austrian film made I think in the nineties called Funny Games, and that kind of reminded me of that film a bit, which is basically, you know, it's the you are being held hostage. And but I think this, like I said in the introduction, this still felt even though I could see I could spot a lot of the influencers, it still felt original. And that there are you know, there there are musical artists, you know, bands, DJs, who you can see their influence, but they still feel they're.
Speaker 6: Doing and maybe get Out gets a sampled film.
Speaker 1: Well get Out it could be the first sample film. I'm surprised I didn't use Get Out of the House by Boom Crash off Ran Jordan Peele was living in Australia in the in the nineties. But I yeah, I was. I was completely gripped and there are things. Another thing I want to I was one of the point out is the credit sequence, because it's it struck me as strange. I do a little bit of digging around because it always seems me to credit sequences. So you have the opening scene and then you have, you know, a car going through like the country side with the trees you're blurring as the car goes fast, and there's a there's a song which is in Swahili and the lyrics are basically saying, basically saying, get out and trust your instincts. So I feel I do feel for Swahili audiences who are watching this going But then it goes into the house and or their apartment, and I think it's ross apartment and there are black and white photos. Actually I'm not sure wh's apartment. It might be in Christ's but because they're black and he's black and white photos.
Speaker 6: He's a photographytographer and a very very talented photographer.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's a child childish Scambino song playing, and there are lyrics like stay woke, don't close your eyes, but it's it's some foreshadowing there, but it's just interesting. What strike me you originally was this essentially two separate kind of credit sequences, which I hadn't kind of seen done before. They felt very different. They felt like one the shots were different, you know, and then two different songs you so, and also you got Rose looking at the doughnuts, which you know again when you I think watch at the second even only notice at this time it's maybe my fourth of you, it's you know, it's it's her picking out which one she's going to choose next. And I think, like I said, I think Allison is is a master stroke. I think the family, when you meet the family, they just come across as you know, casually racist but trying trying to be you know, a good an embarrassing dad, you know, I think. And apparently Jordan Peel chose Bradley Whitford, who because he played Josh Lyman in West Wing fantastic show, and he really wanted that these characters to feel like, you know, white liberals and woke and you know, why not use somebody from the West Wing. But I thought he I thought he was great, and you know, he takes him on the tour of that house and some of the first time I watched it, like I didn't, I didn't kind of put in I even think, to be honest, the first time I watched it, the idea that George Geene, that Georgina was was grandma and Walsh his grandpa kind of washed ove of me a little bit watching it now. I don't know how it did, but it kind of did. And you have Bradley Whitford, the dad showing Chris around the house and the photos of the granddad who you know, we went up against Jesse Owens, and this is that blind where he says, you know, he lost to Jesse Owens and he almost got over it, which if you think about it, like that's like imagine like losing the Jesse Owens and not getting over it. That's like being beat by Michael Jordan and not getting over it. Like it's like which you you know, I think the connotation is that there's some racism going on there, like he got still a black man. That was that was embarrassing, It was humiliating for him. So I remember the first time I watched it, when you have Walter when he goes out for the cigarette before the.
Speaker 6: He that's one of the that's one of the great things. One of the great things is great is when is when the soa you're he's outside having a cigarette and the and the grandfather who's who's basically now the grounds keeper, just sprinted him at high speed across the lawn. Is really twisted and chilling and fantastic, and you go, what the Yeah, that's that. That that's a great that that's a great horror maybe moment you when that does give you that moment you go, what's going on here? This is this is truly weird?
Speaker 3: Why is he doing that?
Speaker 1: Up until then I thought there was some unease, you know, there's this discomfort, But that was the first like chill that I got that I felt like a visceral kind of oh fuck, and and yeah, something you kind of realize, of course he's running because he's he's trying to you know, he was a runner. He was a runner, and that kind of happens, and and he's but.
Speaker 6: He's also celebrating having having the powerful young body that he that he's lost.
Speaker 1: Absolutely there was Jordan Peele considered, I'm not sure be scripted it or just he decided not to. But when Walter kind of runs in at the end, and and we'll get to the end later because there's a bit of the cover and you obviously got some thoughts on that, but when he kind of traps Chris and he's got him on the ground, he tackles him to the ground. He was he was going to say, I finally got your Jesse, and he thought it was it was probably egging it a bit, a bit, a bit too much.
Speaker 6: But I think that that's the interesting thing is that went the certain films and you know that now he live in an era when you can you know, when you're watching when you're watching something on on for example, Stan, you can click on you can actually see who the actors are, you can check the you know, you can actually fully engage much more so than and dig much more deeper and get all that other stuff coming on rather than just going to going to a cinema, watching a movie, letting it wash over you, you know, and just kind of going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing. So do you I find do you prefer to having a wash over you? Yeah, things popping up saying, hey, this is an interesting fact. I'm happy to do that on my second or third viewing.
Speaker 6: I'd rather I'd rather watch it. I'd rather watch in the movie and be in that situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, And you know, it's more it's more for that where do I Where have I seen that person? From the It's actually trying to shorten that period where you're out of the movie because obviously a great movie and a great horror movie especially, you should be you should be live in the moment. You should be absolutely you know, transfixed between you and the screen and nothing else is around you knowing else in the room. You know, the drink's not there. You know, it's just absolutely you know, you're, you're, you're really kind of melded in there. But I just I also wonder whether now when we're you know, when you're doing things like you know, video games is a is a great example of this, you know, playing a video game where you're totally immersed and it's it's the jumps and the jumps and frights are far more intense and far more real in that environment, and so do we need more? Do we need more?
Speaker 1: I think there was a deliberate because often those scares are cheap.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And I never begrudge those, you know, and Jordan Peele, obviously I think made a decision not to do if any of those, I can't really there are one where it's a backfire and car I don't mind those, but I think it's I applaud the decision.
Speaker 6: I'm going to ask you, I'm going to ask you a questions. So you know, there's a you know, the fundamental idea of this, this of the daughter out hunting for hunting for bodies for them for the white community to harvest, right is you know, it's a it's an open housing idea. But the idea of the step for wives, the idea of of men taking them original I'm talking about the original, but the idea of men deciding to move their family to that white picket fence, classic kind of suburban, affluent suburban moving, moving your family there in order to harvest your wife without there and with without without their approval. It's so much more chilling. And the idea that there's the club with all the blokes go on a Friday, they kind of introducing the club, and that's what it's all about. This isn't the this is a this is a whole society where where where everyone has moved there in order to do that. I found that I found that as an idea so much more kind of it makes you, you know, that kind of nausea fear, It gives it naisyer fear because it because it's sore. For really the really there's not there's not a lot of you know other than it being you know, good broodstock that there's there's not a lot of that kind of It's very it's very it's very mercenary in terms of what they're doing. It's you know, because they're they're because of the auction basically that they go that they that they bring someone into the community, they orction them off, they buy them, they transfer, they transfer the mind into the body.
Speaker 3: It's it doesn't have that.
Speaker 6: It didn't give me the It didn't it was a serial killer type chill rather than a oh my god, this is someone that this is someone that that this person's fallen in love with and that is a genuine relationship both ways. But then he's just decided he wants a little bit more. And I find that I found that really and be a little bit more, being awful lot more. I found I found that had a real much more of an impact on me. But then maybe that's also because I watched that seventy five. I would a would have seen that at sixteen, and so they had a real impact. That had a real impact on me. Whereas where is this Maybe now I'm a bit you know, like it's not scary like Blair Witch. It doesn't. It doesn't have you.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have you going upstairs at the end of the night, checking checking under the bed.
Speaker 6: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: You know that well, I wonder Jordan Peele does referred to it as a horror film.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's not.
Speaker 6: It's not really horror.
Speaker 1: It's a suspense. It's a thriller, you know, and it's certainly got horror elements to it. I just want to talk about the dinner scene. I love that scene, like again setting up the family, they just see him again, the family in this scene outside of the brother which we'll get to in a second, says, seem like, you know, a lovely family. You know, they seem fun. Chris is is relaxed. Rose is telling the embarrassing story we've also when they go for a little walk with I think another really clever thing they do, when Bradley Whitford's character takes Chris around the yards, he kind of he owns he's aware of the fact that they've got black servants, and that awareness kind of okay. These guys are okay because they're at least they're aware of it, they're owning it. And there I guess you know a little bit.
Speaker 3: But have we not?
Speaker 6: But haven't we not? I mean that that's such a that dinner, that family dinner scene is such is such a trope in American films, and we've seen it so many times. And now we've seen that scene play out with I don't know, Sasha Baron Cohen doing it with real families and seeing it and seeing that and that's so much more chilling.
Speaker 1: But what I'm worrying but what Obviously there's been lots of dinner scenes in movies, but specifically have we seen in that perform.
Speaker 6: Well in terms in terms of the whole uncomfortableness and then the nature of people saying the wrong things and they're kind of trying hard.
Speaker 1: And but what intrigued me, because I think there's something else going on. What intrigued me when I was watching that scene was how many times do you think they've told that like that same Rose is told that same embarrassing story about biting her boyfriends time off because it was her first kiss and they're all laughing and she's embarrassed and all that.
Speaker 6: But performance, but that's but that's but that's the second watching. Yes, that's so, And I think this is and so I think this is interesting. This is the interesting question about about this. I think in order for a film to make it into the top your top five, I mean, you know, we talk about Princess Bride being twenty five times, you get to a point where where where you're familiar with the things you picked up, you're picking up all the nuances you know all about that. So maybe for a film to be to be that, it has to stand multiple watchings. That they're not a lot, they're not a lot of things that only get a single a single watch, which is something with with that's something with movies. That's so different to where the way television's go on, where pretty much people watch Vikings once or they watch Rome once and then they move on. So so I find that interesting.
Speaker 3: But you need to.
Speaker 6: You need to know that the reward are for me. I didn't did I will I watch it again? Now, I know I've talked you about it with that, with that in mind, but is that is that? Is that enough for it to be? It's certainly a film you should watch, but is it a film that immediately goes into the wow. I love that, you know, that moment you come out and go that was great.
Speaker 1: I remember that this year twenty seventeen, and I it was a quite a good year for indie films. This was nominated for four Academy Awards. Jordan Peel won Best Original Screenplay. That was the only Oscar Bay one. But that year some of the movies came out obviously only three few years ago. Three Billboards Outside Having Missouri, which was which great, which also had Caleb Landry Jones who plays Jeremy the brother who I want to get back to in the second. I think he's amazing, Dunkirk, The Shape of Ward one, Tanya Phantom Thread for Thomas Anderson, Lady Bird, which I remember, you know on Twitter kind of say these are my ten favorite films or twenty fairite films of the year. Ladybird was my favorite film of this year.
Speaker 6: Get Out is Crazy, Lady Ladybird is Ladybird is on my list of I want. I'm saving that Ladybird along with the the the Stiglass and trilogy that they're they're They're in my They're currently in my my kind of you know, in the my list of things.
Speaker 1: I want to want. You have you have some treats ahead of you or so. The last year I came out, played Round on twenty and forty nine and Call Me By Your Name, The Rise of Timothy Shell may So. I mean, as I was watching it last night, I was kind of going, which films of these are actually better for me than then?
Speaker 6: Then get Apps not not not not a strong year though, is it really well?
Speaker 1: I think I think Ladybird, I think, Yeah, By your Name. Three Billboards dun Kirk was amazing, Like I thought, dun Kirk, Yeah, that's a whole.
Speaker 6: That's not I loved I loved the long Shot. I love the styling of it. But as a as a war movie is it is it?
Speaker 3: I thought it was.
Speaker 6: It's a good again we're talking, you know what we what we're saying with all these things is you know, is it is as the horror movie is get Out up there with I don't know what's as to the Evil Dead or yeah, so I think it's and I don't think. I don't think. I think you're right doesn't play in that space. But you know, in terms of in terms of a thriller, you know, true to that first season the True Detective is far more disturbing. I found than watching get Out.
Speaker 1: That I would have it. I would, I would have had it on a par I think, yeah, I think.
Speaker 6: But I don't think you rewatch I rewatched two Detective, like look, there's some other stuff I god, which I enjoyed it, but I didn't have that. And I think that the really great movies, you know, and the list that I've got, things like I Know It's One of Life or Ninth Configuration or these are all things you you watch, you you come back to like a you come back like like it's more like an album. The movie becomes more like an album than a book. Book maybe read once, possibly twice. But the album you come back to you know, twenty thirty times. And I think there are certain movies like that that and maybe that that's the real strength, Maybe that's real strength to get out. But but I liked I loved it, Tony. I think it was great and Mugga always fantastic in it. But but was it one of those Was it the film that you you go back to all your mates. It's a bit like reviewing restaurants. You go back and the next day you go, you ring them and say the ultimate film is when you ring your mates and you ring them and you say, oh my gosh, I went to see blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: It was amazing. You need to go.
Speaker 6: I'll come with you, and you go back and watch it again the next night. That Star Wars, the first Star Wars was like that. Indiana Jones was like that.
Speaker 1: I didn't get that. Was like I remember hearing the buzz about you need to see this film, and I saw it so early. It made two hundred and fifty five million at the box office. So I know, when you're making that kind of money. I think a bit of that is sometimes you repeat business. It was the most profitable film of that year, made on the budget of four and a half million dollars.
Speaker 6: It's amazing, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to that dinner scene because there's something, there's something that I want to ask you just from the you know, as far as what you.
Speaker 3: I I.
Speaker 1: So, I think what happens is that they this is a dinner scene, that this is a performance, is all a performance, and I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that idea.
Speaker 6: I like that, and that that's something that hadn't the idea that it's just a repeat performance and it's what they always do and it's the same thing, and and and and that's that also adds the uncomfortments because they're not great access. But so so I think that's a really interesting concept. And again that gives you that idea of watching it again maybe maybe puts it into that that that realm of that, you know, the great album that you listen to again and again.
Speaker 1: And then what I think happens is Jeremy kind of comes and he starts going rogue. He starts going you know, he starts asking about his genetic mate, you know, with your genetic makeup, and he starts talking about judo versus he loves ju jitsu. And there's also that you know one that's it's a great thing that he says he loves ju jitsu because you need to think three moves ahead, which comes back later on when they're struggling at the door, Chris thinks three moves ahead because he's got him in the headlock about the putting the sleep, and he realizes if he can open the door, which means us move, he will then shut the door with his leg, which is the second move, and the third movie is Chris stabbing him in the leg. So he thinks three moves ahead. I do love and I think this comes with you know, on the second or third or fourth viewing that you realize that I think Jeremy's going ROGI And that's where there's an uncomfortable that.
Speaker 6: He's gone from being a gone from being a sophisticated business model to being a serial killer. Yeah, a guy who's getting off on the thrill of taking people off the street. So why they why are they taking some people off the street, Why are they bringing some people in? Some people in as the boyfriend? How come they're getting these these two ways of.
Speaker 1: The being boyfriends so.
Speaker 3: The guy's taking off the three is a boyfriend Originally.
Speaker 1: That's a good question because that's and that's Andre, so was I'm sure there was a photo.
Speaker 6: Possibly again again a nice thinge that. Another one of the great scenes is that moment where you're you know something, you think, well, his lease has got now a in his girlfriend and he goes to the he's he's he's in the cupboard nosing around and pulls out the shoe box. And in the shoe box are all the pictures?
Speaker 1: Said, there's a photo of Andre and and her.
Speaker 6: And right, that's right, you know you're right now, so then you are.
Speaker 1: Ready and Walter and Georgina.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the the grounds keeper and and and the help of both are both in that in that in that box.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think part of I think Andre when he's on the phone, is he on the phone or texting? I think he's on the phone in that first time, is texting her? I think texting or talking to to Rose. That's my understanding of it. Even in the point where she says talking about this whole performance element where she says Dad would have voted Obama a third time if he could, and then Bradley Whitford's character. His name is Dean. He also says that now that could just be fat ongoing family joke. I take it as you know, they all know their parts, and he maybe, you know, maybe slipped by saying that that exact line.
Speaker 6: Right, So he's taken someone else's line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or Rose has taken his line. The hypnosis scene, have you been Hypno?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: They tried once. It was a radio stunt with me and I just I wasn't susceptible. Really, I could not. I could not do it. I could not go under.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I tried to. I really wanted to. I couldn't do it. But what what did you? What did you make of? This is obviously probably the most famous scene.
Speaker 6: In the in the film, it reminded me of reminding me of I'm just trying to think of what the other films on nineteen eighty four where he's possibly vif Vendetta doesn't seem like that as well, isn't that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: At clockwork Orange, clockwork Orange.
Speaker 6: So yeah, the end, look, I mean, I mean, greaton kind of understand when you and you can I can see you can say it's all coming together and yes, that's it's a but did it did it?
Speaker 3: Did it?
Speaker 6: Did it give me that kind of like the clockwork Orange gives you, for example, where which is truly that that's truly horrifying, that that that scene when he's when they're kind of rectifying him, that that's that's horrendous. Did he have the same impact as that? Probably not.
Speaker 1: I mean the clockogk Orange when they're playing Nazi films to him and they're playing Beethoven's it's it's hard to watch even physically, his eyes are being forced open and pinned open. Yeah, yeah, this I felt my chest tightened, I think the first time. And I also thought, what the fuck is he got? Is he going to stay here for the rest of it? Is this movie turned on? The said is he going to stay in this place? And then he's gonna wakes up, you know, and you feel like it's a dream. And then he realizes when he speaks to Walter that it's not I think, what elevation it's this from, you know, not that it elevates over Steppard wise, but makes it you know, like you can't yeah, different is the race factor? Like and he you know, and the second place. For me, I assume it's about oppression. And you know the fact that Catherine Keene uses a silver spoon, you know, with signifying white privilege, and and and and he and.
Speaker 6: His whole performance that that whole that whole thing you touched on when they're pulled out by the police. I mean, he's he finds himself in the Sacon place, and his whole body language changes, his whole approach is his head's bound. He doesn't look at he doesn't look the office in the eye. You know, he's doing all the invery commons the things that he's expected to do in order to be avoid being stomped on. So yeah, I can I can see that. I can see that that echo, I can see that echo there.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of friends who this scene has really messed with. Yeah, they've really freaked out, like the sound of the silver spoon across the edges.
Speaker 2: Of the.
Speaker 6: Because yeh, I have a horrible feeing that Matt Lucas has ruined that for an awful lot of people around the moment that the moment that happens. You go, Okay, that's that's great, But I think that but I think that's I think that's that's the whole. That's the great thing about about consuming and we consume, we consume entertainment media so much now and we've got such an incredible wealth of stuff that so in the old days we probably would have been und to see things that you know, there were only ten films you probably went to see a year, but and there were probably only five TV series. But now you're you're consuming lots of stuff at different times individually, and so I think that. So I think then then obviously everything's gonna everything's got little individual hooks. Some get you, some don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the I mean, let's talk about then the there's one unrealistic portion of the film. The most unrealistic thing was me.
Speaker 6: Was is this this when the friend turns up? No, well that was pretty unrealistic.
Speaker 1: Rose Rose using being as a search engine.
Speaker 6: That is very funny. Being got into my computer and I couldn't get rid of it in the cap and it really shat me.
Speaker 3: I don't want it because it's a rubbish and you put it. No, I don't want to looking at her. Look the recipe. I do not want recipes from the Ravioli. Thank you, But what about But what about his mate.
Speaker 1: I mean, really, ok, let's talk about his mate.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean, I look, I love the carry. I think he's a great but the performance, he's wonderful. He's great, he's like, he's funny. That the whole his whole attitude at the beginning is don't trust him. He's he's the kind of he's the kind of he's you. He's you sitting on the couch shouting at the screen.
Speaker 3: And I love that. I love that. But I mean he manages, he tracks down the house management and arrives at the right moment.
Speaker 6: I mean really well, I mean yeah, I mean, come on, it is a move.
Speaker 1: It is a movie. But of course there's gonna be some things that happened a little bit weird.
Speaker 6: But but it's but it's it's not like it's a it's not like a normally in a great movie, he would turn up and he would be sent away. You know, he would turn up and he'd be going and he would be or or even worse, he would he would suddenly he would then appear as as the next doors and the next door's chauffeur. You know that he would be taken, he would be he would be used he would be all the way.
Speaker 1: Not at this point of the film, at this part of the.
Speaker 3: The last scene and the last scene up up up a couple of police lights, and.
Speaker 1: He's okay, So so let's let's go. I want to leave the last that might be this this.
Speaker 6: Will that might be in a way. And I look, I take I know. And again I was saying, I enjoyed it. It was it was a good film?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 6: Was it a great film? Is it in my top one hundred? And I think, I think that's the that's what you're hoping that will happen. Like for example, Mississippi Burning for me apsutly would now be in my top on hundred. Think it's amazing film and an important film and amazingly behind but before its time, French Connections and another. You know, there are all those films you could you could live. Did does get maybe if I watched it two or three times? Perhaps?
Speaker 3: But but but the ending is of the ending is a big problem.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about now. Okay, it's a big problem.
Speaker 6: I loved the ending, and because it's delivered in the Hollywood fashion, Yeah, the cavalry arrived and it's all good.
Speaker 1: Well, but don't you have that moment, don't you have that moment where you see those lights and Rose sees and she knows she is saved. Yeah, that's what the genius of the moment for me was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I love that. I love that that That's that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Now, Jordan Peele did consider the ending that I think you probably wanted, which was it's a white police officer and and Chris gets taken away. That was that was I think in the first draft or his first thought, because he wanted he wanted to remind Americans that just because Barack Obama has been made president, that racism still exists. So that was what he wanted. But he did make the choice, and I'm glad he did that. He wanted he wanted the audience to feel a sense of hope. And I like when I saw when I saw Rod his TSA mate and frustratings listening or people, you know, wherever you are outside of America t s A at the airport workers. Americans don't like to explain these things. But yes, so it's he's an underdog, he's the comic relief. He's kind of the heart of the film. And I I just wanted to cheer when he when he came, and then when he says, you know, because I am ts motherfucker, It's just it.
Speaker 6: Was, it was, it was Jerry Brookhamer, it was very suddenly appears, appears and directs the last five minutes of the film, and I can and I can understand.
Speaker 1: Shoot himself in the head with the rifle moments before Jerry Brookham is not doing that.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, but no, but but but how much better if there had been the white cop and the and the the guy who who surfaces reserves his shoots, both shoots both the white cop and also and also the the and also the the daughter as well. That's far better, and then runs away. That's far better because you can't escape his ability to run. The sprints off and he's just left standing then and walks the cop walks out that that's that's that's the way you can There are ways I think you can do it that are cleverer than just having the cavalry turn up.
Speaker 1: And if you were, if you were to draw that rake across every horror film, I think you'd be left with very few horror films.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know. I think I think, I think, I think.
Speaker 1: I think people characters rocking up at convenient times is a mainstay.
Speaker 6: And and people people going through doors when they should go through doors.
Speaker 1: And and they're all coming, you know, being Oh they're they're no, they're not. The brothers actually not.
Speaker 6: Dead yet carry's fist coming out through the grave. Yeah, all those things. I agree, But I don't think this is a horror movie. And I think and I think that's and I think this is what you're this is what you're saying. This is a this is a this is a twenty first century thriller where you don't get to make those easy you don't get to make those easy decisions. So and it struck me the end when it struck me the end, and it struck me that the it's one of those movies where they where the studio puts it into market research and they go no, no, no, no, no, no no no, we're gonna have an up ending.
Speaker 1: I think if race wasn't in play here as a theme, as a major theme, the major theme, then if if Chris is played by Chris Hemsworth, then I agree with you the tears, but the fact that you have that moment of going, and Rose knows that she smiles. She starts yelling, help, officer, I'm in trouble here, and we can't see who's in the car. You have the moment going he's he's done, he's done, and it's it's.
Speaker 6: So unlikely that his mates could have found the house and turned up.
Speaker 1: Well, you have to make it as unlikely as possible, so we don't get there before Jordan Peele wants us to get there, So I I think they earn that if you like a moment of convenience. I mean, this guy has been looking for him and has had reason to go look for him. He's gone to the police. He's not like he's he's doing his own investigation.
Speaker 6: But the whole end, the whole end feels a little bit, a little bit. It's the movie changes maybe in the last eight minutes when he getting out, getting out, the fight scenes, all that stuff. It's all it's very quick, and it's very violent, and it's and it's a it's in total and it is in total contrast with really the rest of the film, which is quite of which is kind of thoughtful and tension building and.
Speaker 1: And but you need you you want things to get messed up, you know.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I just you know, but but normal but normally you don't get out, you know, you don't. You don't get out the first time. You get pulled back in and then you get it. It's got to be a second or a third chance.
Speaker 1: But it was it was like he got he got he got put into the you know, the chair.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: When so when he when he got the cotton, when he saw the cotton, yeah, did you go, oh, he's going to use it as as e plugs?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 6: Yes, didn't get that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's talk about the there's almost two escapes. There's the first one where he sees the photos, and that moment's are great, you know, where he sees the photos, he puts it together that she has rose, the scene, all these all these people, including Walter and and Georgina, and from that moment we're on I think even the moment where the brother is playing the ukulele plucking at that and they leading back into the house and there's a feeling of life. You're not yeah, deliverance it is, yeah, and it's like you're not coming out of here, you know, and that whole thing of the keys, the Rose, the keys, and.
Speaker 6: That was that the whole that scene, that scene, that that kind of that kind of polite desperation. Yeah, was fascinating no one, him not wanting to admit what he worried was going to go on because if he admits it, it suddenly changes dynamic and he's out numbered and blah blah blah. Is that's very powerful, and you just feel him kind of, you know, unable to to walk away, did you?
Speaker 1: I love and for me and I think certainly designed this way that Rose. We believe that Rose still may be good and on his side right up until she says, holds the keys up and says, you know, I can't give you the keys, babe, but did you? I mean, he's the photos I kind of say, Okay, something's going I.
Speaker 6: Think the photos of the moment. Yeah, but I think the photo of the moment, you know, you know it's not that they're all in this together. Yeah, because you can you can convince yourself, you can convince yourself that you convince yourself that the that she just doesn't know what her family's up to until the moment you see those box of those box of stuff you go, now, yeah, you're in trouble, now see.
Speaker 1: I think the first time I saw it, I was still going, oh, maybe she's maybe he's the guy she loves, you know, and that and that. I was right there.
Speaker 3: They're gonna run away and it's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: I was right there. And then she ends up chasing him, you know, off with a shotgun, which she just kind of mentioned earlier in one of the first scenes. I did love that. So then there's the escape from the chair, the cotton. I did like, I did like Rose upstairs, and I like she puts her hair up in a ponytail, like she's immediately a different person. She's almost she's like she's the goon almost really, and she's upstairs eating fruit loops and milk and listening to the dirty dancing. It was a nice one. I didn't see the cotton coming like the deer in hindsight, yes, but I didn't actually necessarily put that together. I just always thought, Okay, that's how they're watching him, the security, the security cameras in there. There was obviously a dem motif going on from from earlier.
Speaker 6: But because that's what he is he's he's the quarry, he's the prey.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, but uh, the order of the coagular. Do you know what a coagular? Do you know what a coagular was before this coagular? Yeah? No, well it's it was it like a some kind of butterfly or a caterpillar or or something there. Can you google coagular?
Speaker 6: He sure it's coagular coagular Yeah, yeah, like as in like like like blood coagulate.
Speaker 1: Well, well, unlet's his caligraphy. I don't know. But it's the order that's the cult. This is the cult. It is the order of the of the coagul.
Speaker 6: It's because it's the order of the butterfly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you you you you mm hmm. Any coagulated mess out curd it's not really telling as much.
Speaker 6: So that they could be they could be the Order of the Kurds there, yeah, the Cads.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to be concentrating on what a coagular is. I thought that a memory that there's there's like an image of like a some kind of caterpillar or kind of yeah, kind of opening up or or doing something. I think this is one of the most assured directorial debuts.
Speaker 6: You're so I think this is also interesting. So I mean you obviously as a as someone who's been directing, what now, five.
Speaker 1: Years, Well, yeah, I've done some episodes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, so you've started directing. So I think you you you love the craft. You love the craft of this film, yes, And you love the depth and you love I'm picking the depth and watching it three times and four times and still finding stuff out about it. And I think I came at it from I came from the perspective, which is a very different perspective coming a film where you're told it's one of the it's one of the ten best films made in the last ten years. Yep, it's it's it's a great horror film and it's going to and you So you come with those two things in your mind, and then the question is does that deliver? I think if I if you'd seen that on you know, your favorite cinema at Cinema and Nova on a wet Thursday, when you'd gone down, you couldn't get into it. You couldn't get into the itony bexuse it was booked out. You'd probably love it. You probably love it. But I think expectation is a really brutal thing because because and again also I mean this is an interesting it's also it's a it's a cursive criticism. Is the criticism tends to be looking for the negatives rather than enjoying the positives. That when you put yourself in a poltical position, as in watching a film because of knowing I'm doing this podcast, it puts me in the situation of wanting to unpick stuff. I wanted to say, what doesn't make this an amazing film, rather than you know, the greatest Showman, the greatest Showman.
Speaker 3: I think the first time it was all great, SHO was on.
Speaker 6: An airplane, the shittest place to watch a movie ever, and I just it just flowed over me in this kind of slightly bamboozled jet laggy state, and i've he can.
Speaker 3: Love it did of course of course the whole because he's such a good man. He never sleeps with Jenny Lynn. There's just that look, and you know, there's there's it's it's got, it's got everything. It is got, it's got, it's got everything. So so for me.
Speaker 6: And but also the other thing is that the other thing is that you know, the how much do we want to how much do we want a movie to to like like what what does more in terms of exposing and we're interesting. We talked about them get Out and also Mississippi Burning has come up, but in two different films, both talk about race and talk about and talk about the the the issues of race in the U.
Speaker 3: S A.
Speaker 6: The Mississippi Burning is very straightforward. Yeah, and you walk up and go, well, that's just straight wrong and that but that's real and that makes it really chilling. Where it's get Out is Yes, it's always a it's always a movie, and it's a construction, and it's kind of and it's a it's a it's a hyper and extension of stuff I think the I think in a way the I think in a way the.
Speaker 3: The casual kind of.
Speaker 6: That casual less center left racism that's kind of denied. But but obviously there the whole time is a really fascinating area to explore, because especially for Australian audience, is a fascinating area to explore. But but it ends up being a it ends up being a wham bam at the end.
Speaker 1: But you want that, I mean you want like you shouldn't I think you don't want to see a film that is overtly leading with its message, you know, And I think, yeah, and.
Speaker 6: I don't, But I think it doesn't.
Speaker 3: I think it.
Speaker 6: I think you don't need to leave the message that the message is there pretty pretty clearly all the way through.
Speaker 3: I just think there.
Speaker 6: I just think it. It gives you, It gives a very there's a very simple solution at the end, which is your mate turns up with a gun.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 6: Is that not the the end message of that film? Rather than there's no, it doesn't really seek to unpick or to or to reveal to or to chart away for a better America?
Speaker 3: Which which which which? If that's it, If the that's the aid of the film, then then then does that? Does that? Do that? Does that? Well?
Speaker 1: I think whenever somebody is trying to make a statement film, you have to get the balance right of if you lead too hard with the message, then you're going to scrap like it. Still, it still has to be a movie, and it still has to entertain first and foremost. And I think, uh he, Jordan Peele has done that for me. What I got out of it was the way you're absolutely right, the way sender left racism can you know, be disguised, you know, the casual racism can over over, can blanket some very real problems. That is as racism goes and the woke the wokeness of of the parents, and and is it's it's stay for everybody to see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but and and I think that I think that that side, it's fascinating. I just wonder whether I just wonder whether you I wonder whether the insidious nature of it because we don't get any we don't get any We don't get any chapter two do we like we don't I mean, I don't know whether does he go what how what happens to the what happens to the order of the quaculence? Do they all now go to jail? Do they all get charged and not go to jail? Because we know with pretty much every one of these kind of every one of these, you know, great movements of change where we where we attack a major problem facing society, people don't go to jail, you know it things just continue. And that maybe is the epilogue the film needed that maybe the film needed an eploge log like that that just that just gave the fact that that. You know, he goes into the police station. No police, I was going to believe him, are they? I mean that that's going to be it's a you know, he can't go to police. He says he was there and then to get get ping for the murders?
Speaker 1: So well I did. I didn't think that, but I mean for me, for me, it was I was happy with the ending, even though I did wonder who gets who gets who these murders get pinned on? There are two bodies, two bodies, you know, lying dead on the road. Yeah, who gets who does that get pinned on? But I don't know?
Speaker 6: Well, and it is the issue does it get does it? Does it get pinned on? The does he get pinned on? The grandfather? Does the grandfather end up going to because his his fingerprints are all over the gun?
Speaker 1: But the grandfather's dead.
Speaker 6: Does he commanally got shot as well? Didn't he forgot about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: But like so what I'm what I'm saying is I think it's great to come out. I mean, I love love. We all love movies with a message, whether it's an avert message or a subversive messages are often more powerful. But I just feel it kind of it, just at the end of the film just feels like normally the audience is definitely thing we need to change this, because we need to change this as well.
Speaker 3: We're going there.
Speaker 6: Needs to be a My my sense is that is that it needed it needed, it needed that that last chapter where where, because nowadays we live and we live with where where there aren't winners. You know this this image for so many movies and TV shows, you know, there aren't There aren't winners. You don't win, you know, the the it's not you don't get the girl and the big house and the yacht that doesn't happen. You end up it ends up costing you almost as much as it's cost the people, the people who who perpetrated problems against you. So I just wonder whether that's a bit, whether that's whether that's a bit you know that Hollywood is such a different why it's a very Hollywood ending, and and and and it's not a Hollywood film.
Speaker 1: I know what you're saying. But I think the moment that makes it makes it a deserved ending is that that moment where you have where you think he's done. He actually puts his hands in the air and we think he's caught Rosy smiling, she's yelling at to the police. It's right in those eye. Guys know exactly what the situation is and that the amount of times its just played out across America. So to have that relief, I personally think if I'm sitting through, you know, a horror film, a thriller where you know, I've been a little bit you know, tense, the whole way through, that feeling I had at the end of that film was like made it made me watch it another three times. Yeah, you know, because it's like, I want a sense of hope at the end of my my films. That's I mean, you know, I'm not up for a down ending, you know, occasionally if it's if it's something that's you know, it really is and this is this is the film that really going on.
Speaker 6: But I think, but I think you can. I think you can deliver hope but also deliver a sense of unfinished business. And I think that's what that's what I'm saying. I think you can have You're going to he can escape, he can get away that that's not a problem. But but you want, you want a sense of unfinished business more than anything. Else because you want you want to give him just made two hundred and twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 3: You won't get out too well.
Speaker 1: They're talking about that. Funnily enough there, Blumhouse Films made this film with Jordan Peel. They've said they are absolutely up for it, but it's up to Jordan Peel if he has the idea. And he said, if I have the idea, I will do.
Speaker 6: It, because he said, I think there's you know, if we if we cast back to the nineteen seventy five step Ward Wide movie and we think of that idea, if we take that idea, that and Margaret, that and Margaret and it's interesting, you know that the the if you look at and Margaret back then if Ann Margaret had killed, if Ann Margaret had killed the kind of the leader of the country club and the doctor and escaped, you know, you know that that that that would have just continued. That that's the horror. That's even if you escaped, there would be an escape because of another generation of people coming through and that and I did I get the sense sense that the order would still continue and that they would still continue doing that. Do you think the order is dead?
Speaker 1: Is there I mean, that's a good question, and that could that could form I imagine if Jordan Peele is considering Get Out too, I assume that's going to play a part.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what, they're gonna go and watch it again.
Speaker 1: Who I we'll be fascinating. And it's interesting. There's been a few examples during this podcast where the ones that I think of, Rachel Corbett watched Castaway, Whitnail and I with Limo one coming up with my good mate Adam Christy from Canada, who we watched Wall Street. There's been films we've got of gone either both of us or my guests haven't enjoyed it as much and after the discussion like, actually I might give it another chance. Whitnail and I Limo and I actually kind of both were a bit underwhelmed and by the end of it we're like, yeah, we probably watch it again. Actually, you know, so it'll be fascinated.
Speaker 3: Will with Nail.
Speaker 6: I mean back when in the UK, I used to I used to be involved in a lot of premiers, like reader screenings of movies and we did things like Reaperman and After Dark and a lot of films look like that. That that were there were two or three times, two or three time watch films that they get better the second the third time you see them. They're not the kind of the so so I think that I think often that there is an advantage about that, and and some stuff doesn't doesn't grab me the first time. I've just gone through that with Ship's Creek. I watched It's Creek. That watched this of four episodes.
Speaker 1: And when yeah, so many people and I love shitsch.
Speaker 3: I know, I love it. I've watched it. I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean so many people have that same reaction.
Speaker 6: But but but but but again, that that's the we are, you know, where the too long did not read generation where the we are the people that you make a decision quickly and you go yeah, and then you move on because there's there's there's always there's always ten other things to watch.
Speaker 1: But sometimes I sometimes I will hang off watching something until I hear compleicarly TV series, until I hear enough people say to me, you need to watch the Boys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and that is one actually watched Secession.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well literally Succession is amazing. Literally silly picoles it to me last night, you need to watch the Boys. And I'm like, your that recommendation. Your recommendation is the one is now, like I've heard enough times now that I trust on you know, it's worth my time, so I'm going to jump into it as opposed to jumping in straight away.
Speaker 6: But rose Have is another example like that. Rose Haven is something you could you can easily watch the first You can dip in maybe halfway through that first season and go nah, and then you and then you come back into it and you you hit the rhythm of the show and then you go, this is magnificent.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 6: And it's very funny, and you get the and you get the quirk and the character, and that's that's that's that's the terrible challenge for Hollywood now is now they're competing with you know, first season of House of Cards, amazing amazing storytelling that you can do in depth and with greater subtlety, and you can really let things develop and you can have multiple storylines running at the same time. Game of Thrones where you throw all the narrative conventions out the window and it's you know, and that you kill off your central characters not once but twice in the first two seas. I mean, you can do all that stuff. So with Hollywood, where you've got where you've only got you know, ninety minutes, an hour and two hours, you've you've got to you rely on certain conventions.
Speaker 3: In order to do it.
Speaker 6: And so I think that's so. And I wonder and I wonder whether that's a I wonder whether that that's a that's a that's a challenge, especially now when people have got surround sam big screens at home. You know that a lot of the a lot of the traditional a lot of the things, you know, the music hall, the music hall gets gets whether whether movies where the movies are going to die out as a as an art form because of the fact that we're willing to spend four hours, you know, of an evening watch. Well, maybe back to back episodes of Borgen.
Speaker 1: Maybe get Out Too should be a TV series?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean and I think that, I mean, I think that's an interesting the Fargo, that Fargo has an interesting model like that that that I think. I think doing Fargo as a TV series was a was a great idea. And you think of something like like Ozark, which is Ozark as a movie would be terrible and there would be they'd have to take shortcuts, but to allow those characters to develop and to change and to morph. And it's a you know, it's a difference between a you know, a twenty twenty game and a five day a five day game. Isn't it a difference between you know, a five set tennis match and the straight sets victory that you want you I think the great thing about about storytelling is not is not that linear a B CDE but it's that that idea that jumps all over the place. And when you think of when you think now that you know, people are you know, people in terms of screen entertainment are going for fifteen seconds or ten second reels or TikTok, or they're going for twenty eight hours playing a video game and immersing themselves.
Speaker 3: In a world.
Speaker 6: That that that that very short, that very short kind of hit of a movie makes it really hard. So it has to be spectacular and big, and that's undaudly well those superhero movies have done so well, or it's got to be a beautiful story, well.
Speaker 1: Told, well said. I'm just going to point out one last thing, one last fact. I mentioned that on a budget of four point five million, dollars and made two hundred and fifty five me the most profit of film of twenty seventeen. It was shot in twenty three days.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: It is amazing.
Speaker 3: But is it is it? Is it amazing?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 6: It isn't it because because you come you come from a TV background, you know, you don't you don't shoot three minutes of footage a day, two minutes of footage a day.
Speaker 1: No, we shoot, we shoot closer to you know, we would shoot closer the nine minutes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, neighbors, neighbors shoes, neighbors shootes twenty three minutes yeah, so so so too.
Speaker 1: So I really didn't think neighbors was going to come up during that.
Speaker 6: Well you know, you know, you know, you know it's a secret love of my neighbor away from two thousand and from ninety three to ninety eight the and I think that's it's I think that's that that's interesting. I think that that idea of shooting off the hip. But I think we've we've seen a lot of stuff. And Birdman's another one of those that's.
Speaker 3: Do you like Birdman?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Birdman?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you see you see. For me, that was another moment. Oh, it's really clever. I can't I get that, but it wasn't.
Speaker 1: I've said it a couple of times because yeah, technically one of the teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 1: This hits me in the right places more than bird.
Speaker 6: But I like that, So I think so, I think it is that interesting. We we are living in an interesting time where where are the ways that we consume stories are very very different now and more so maybe like books where you've got like a thousand pages of Chantam or two thousand pages of the Lord of the Rings trilogy as opposed to you know, the the the Matthew Riley short story. Yeah, both which both which fantastic. But yeah, certainly advise people, certainly advice people to go and if they haven't seen, get out to watch it and then to make their own opinions of it. But I would also advise people to watch to watch that that's very you know the nineteen seventy five and Margaret step from was It's perilously slow and boring and it's probably not as good a film, but the in terms of that moment, and I think that there's moment when you when you I love a movie in when it's when you're in this genre when you walk away and you're going, oh, but what about how does that unfold? Yeah, you know the thing where you wake up at three in the morning and you go, oh, but what about that? What about you know, the the the threads that are there underhanging the you know, and that's where we go back to Infinity War when when Thanals does that?
Speaker 1: That's like what the yeah, yeah, how are they going to get out of that?
Speaker 6: And then of course the answer is it is Patrick Duffy and Dallas and it was all a dream sequence.
Speaker 1: The I just want to before we go. The cast, I think is uniformly great. This is a good example of a film.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you didn't need and it helps there aren't big stars, Yes.
Speaker 1: I think it does. If it was Denzel Washington as as Chris's probably to want to play that role. But you know, and and you know, I take pick Jennifer Anderson as as a Rose, it just becomes a completely different They're probably clumsy examples, but but they're just so Dan your Coluia, who also was in a great film.
Speaker 6: Perform His performance is fantastic, is his his his kind of embarrassed anger bubbling under the surface. Frustration is really really good, and.
Speaker 1: I think he's really relatable because you know what it's like too.
Speaker 6: Well, because where there are elements, there are elements that meet the fockers and yeah, you know in terms of that that uncomfortable fish out of water and people really making an effort to make you fit in obviously when you realize in retrospect not for the reason why they want to feel relaxed and comfortable fitting in. But yeah, I mean his his all the performances are universally very strong in it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that party scene that was quite interesting. I remember hearing Jordan Peel talk about this a while ago. They didn't have it, they didn't have the budget to have enough. Actually it supposed to be like a much bigger scene, so he did have to space everyone out. But then when he kind of looked at it, he got that this feels it feels better because it feels creepier. It feels it's not quite right. The people that are standing in these little groups of three and four, and every time, every time Chris, if you if you notice in the background people are kind of like looking at him and looking it up and down. I kind of almost evaluating him.
Speaker 6: Well, and and you're right, and and your immediate reaction is that they're looking him because he's he's a he's a he's a It's that.
Speaker 1: It's almost exotic.
Speaker 6: Well, I was thinking it's that moment in Sex in the City when when Miranda is starts getting invited drinks parties because she's a lesbian, and she becomes she becomes the you know, the the lesbian friend everyone wants to have to to kind of to add to their their repertoire to make them look look extra woke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because because but I agree.
Speaker 6: I think I think that that that that that sense of uncomfortableness is a really is a really a very powerful thing in movies and actually makes it quite hard to watch things like that sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're a fellow Collingwood fan and a big football fan, I I talked football. But what I'm going to ask you to do, I thought.
Speaker 6: We should talk to about the club because really, that is one of the great ones that was so close to being on my list. Jack Thompson.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for somebody to nominate the club.
Speaker 3: Because because if you haven't seen it, it's a big miss. And actually I've had that great moment. I was in there.
Speaker 6: I was flying back for Sydney a couple of years ago and Jack Thompson was in. It was like sitting next door and I went and leble to say, you're one of the two reasons you and far up the two reasons I came to Australia. I love the club. I thought it was fantastic club before. Oh yeah, back in I would have watched what was the Club? After it came out? It was fantastic. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Great film that is amazing.
Speaker 6: With the with the mighty Rennie Kink, the towels.
Speaker 1: As a as a young fellow.
Speaker 6: Maybe magnificent. Yeah, great film and his performance is fantastic. Yeah anyway, So yeah, but what do you want to say? What do you want to say?
Speaker 1: What I was going to get you to do is do the votes for this film. I want you to give a three to two one to the cast. Those who are not AFL fans. Three votes means best best on ground, second best on ground, and one vote is the best done ground.
Speaker 3: And we're voting as an ensemble.
Speaker 1: Well, anyone in the cast you can nominate for each each of those votes.
Speaker 6: So I think that's I think that's the same of the film is that it's universe. The performance is the university strong and then not overdrawn, and I think that that's one of the real strengths of the film.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm giving I'll give you my votes. You know Daniel Kalua as Chris straight away absolutely it gets three votes. He was nominated for Best Actor. Gary Oldman wins that year for Churchill, which wasn't called ChEls called something else the Darkish dugs down. Yes, two votes. I'm giving to his friend because he's funny.
Speaker 6: No, you're not gonna give in two votes?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Rose Allison Williams gets two votes. I love that she She did not give anything away. And like I said, when you watch it the second time it performs, it gets even better because you know what's going on. And one vote I'm giving a friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good.
Speaker 1: D comes and saves. The movie isn't quite friendly.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't mind.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't mind if you will. The spin of Let's just have rod He's funny.
Speaker 1: Rodney's hilarious, kind of like kind of like a kind of like a moll cop copt little rel rail. Howary is his name? And he's he's a comic and uh, you know he's a musician as well. He's he's a star. He's a breakout movie for him.
Speaker 6: You know, and he's he's he's the guy that he's the guy. If he saw those two, he would be one of the he would be one of the two characters you want to follow.
Speaker 1: Special mention I want to give Catherine Keener. He's always great, you know, it's Lucky and Bradley Whitford. Long Live the West Wing. But how many pages notes do you write on a few notes? There's like eight pages of notes. The actor I want to mention is Kayleb Landry Jones, which is the brother I thought he was. That scene in the in the Dinner Party had a touch of Mendo about it for me Ben Mendelssohn in Animal Kingdom. That kind of simmering your life. Yes, guy's loose, but I don't know what's about to happen here.
Speaker 6: But that's like, that's like going your best, your best gourmet burger and your big mac. Because that Mendo and Animal Kingdom is terrifying.
Speaker 1: Well, Mendo has a big but his.
Speaker 6: Performance is absolutely genuinely terrifying, and you just don't know what's going on, and this guy is just another he's just a load of dime store villain.
Speaker 1: No that, I'm happy for you to introduce a turn dimestore villain into this podcast. Will I will take that with me. But I know I find him. He's not as menacing as Mendo in Animal Kingdom, but he there is something and those kind of characters like David Wenham in The Boys, not the TV series speaking out the greatest Traine film, The Boys, there's just that it's just like that, that that it's a simmering tension that he could be a capable of anything. Although my my son did say my thing Aiden loved the film and he did think at some point that he might actually end up being a good guy and actually end up saving.
Speaker 6: Well that see that that would have been interesting. That would an interesting twist. And then and then getting killed by one of the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So did you agree with those votes or do you you wanna you wanna.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, no, no, I'm fine with them. I'm fine with those folks.
Speaker 1: Those excellent Thank you so much. Mate, It's I was I was really excited when you're nominated this film and you know, I'm I'm well, I've always thought when somebody comes here and they haven't enjoyed the film and like it, it's happened. It's happened a couple of times. I think you've been the most resolute about not being hugely into this film. But I've always well, how do we get through the podcast? But it's been wonderful to chat about Look Look.
Speaker 3: And I think that's it.
Speaker 6: I think the important thing to remember with with with this is that you know, if you haven't go and see it with those expectations and you'll enjoy it. And it certainly wasn't.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 6: This was not an ishtime moment. This was not a moment where you sat there going resenting, resenting design. And I have, in my time as a you know, doing doing the casual film review, had to sit through films that were a pain. They were painful to watch and you had to see And I am someone who has to watch the end. I have to watch and see if if there's miraculous dead all gets better at the end, in some fantastic deniuement at the end, in the last three minutes, that makes the whole previous ninety seven minutes worthwhile run the well, and and and it doesn't dance. So it's you know, it's it's undoubtedly, it's undoubtedly a good film. But is it?
Speaker 3: But is it a film? Is it a film that's that that should sit there in my in my top three?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Is it a film that should sits in my top twenty?
Speaker 3: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 6: If someone came to me and said, should you watch Get Out? I'd say, yeah, you need to see it? But I wouldn't go and tell them, wouldn't ring them and say or when they said watch we watch night, wouldn't It wouldn't be in my first it wouldn't be in my recommendation of films to put up. So that that's I'm saying, it's a I'm saying it's a.
Speaker 3: It's an. It's an it's an enjoyable watch. It's an enjoyable watch. But it's not.
Speaker 6: It's it's no, it's no Rosemaries baby.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate, and we're back, yes, Season two up and running. What a fascinating man. Matt Preston is, Like I said, I come here, I have no idea if my guests enjoyed the film or hated the film. And that was somewhere in between. He again said to me off there, he will go back and watch it again, so I will keep you in touch as to how Get Up grows on him if it indeed does. Thank you everybody coming back for season two. I'm really excited. We've got some great guests coming up. We've got Tony Martin, hadn't seen Top gun Nath, Valvo, Beeble Juice, Adam Christie, my best Canadian friend, hadn't said Wall Street. Cilli Pacuola has promised to watch The Jaws. There's a whole lot going to be happening, So stay tuned, subscribe like us if you can. I want to thank my podcast manager, Deck Meyers from Castaways Studios dot com dot au if you're trying to get a podcast up. Derek is the man that the chat too. I love being back in the studio. That's why we held off for a couple of weeks because, as you know, as much as recording online, you know, we got it done. But I hope you're enjoying the clearer quality the Castaways Studios provides. Derek is also working on while at Ali's podcast as well, which is called So Now What And That's about what happens now in relations to coronavirus. So it's fascinating podcast. You can check that out. Circustreet Sounds Jimmy and Tom put all the bells and whistles into all the opener and I thank you guys. If you need some sounds and some audio, some jingles, some music for your project, get on the Circus Tree Sounds Jimmy and Tom, they're the ones you want to speak to. So thank you to everyone involved. Next week on the show episode so Nath Valvo has not seen Beetlejuice, so if you can check it out during the week and we will chat to Nath. I'm looking forward to that one. Until then, bye, and so we leave old Pete, save man soul and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.